williaminsd
Topic Author

Re: More of the Roar for SMF in 2019...

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:01 pm

In the linked article from The Desert Sun, Palm Springs airport director confirms that City, Visitors' Bureau, and an unidentified airline are in talks to start SMF-PSP service...

Statement is at end.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/money/b ... 446794001/

williaminsd
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Service between SMF and Palm Springs may return soon. PSP Airport Director confirms that airport, Visitor's Bureau, and unidentified airline in talks to start service. Quote is at end of linked article in Desert Sun...

AAflyguy

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes, and said airline is looking at more than SMF service from PSP. Should do very well in the PSP market.

AAFlyGuy

smflyer

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 pm

williaminsd wrote:
Service between SMF and Palm Springs may return soon. PSP Airport Director confirms that airport, Visitor's Bureau, and unidentified airline in talks to start service. Quote is at end of linked article in Desert Sun...

I wonder if it will be the AS Q400 you said will be sitting around during the day at SMF this summer.

Justapax

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 pm

I love these posts about increases in pax at SMF. More pax means (hopefully) more flights.

But in reality, we don't need to wait for official airport numbers to document these increases.

The Peet's morning coffee line is getting longer and longer :)

smflyer

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Justapax wrote:
I love these posts about increases in pax at SMF. More pax means (hopefully) more flights.

But in reality, we don't need to wait for official airport numbers to document these increases.

The Peet's morning coffee line is getting longer and longer :)

haha that's very true! A little secret I found is that if you just want regular drip coffee and don't want to wait on Peets, Taylor's (the store next to vino volo) has drip coffee available and the line is generally very short. Their coffee is also roasted by the local Chocolate fish roasters in Sacramento, so thats nice.

One thing I've found odd about SMF is the lack of breakfast options at the airport, especially since the majority of flights leave in the morning.

DesertAir

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 pm

This is good news. I was in SMF yesterday afternoon and noticed the afternoon Countour flight to Santa Barbara. It had a decent amount of passengers in the boarding area. I also noticed that Boutique has a late night, around midnight flight to Merced. Maybe one of these two airlines will add the Palm Springs service. Walking around the terminal, I saw the Frontier flight to Las Vegas was moved to around 10:30 in the evening. It had been at 7:30.

F9LASDEN

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 pm

DesertAir wrote:
This is good news. I was in SMF yesterday afternoon and noticed the afternoon Countour flight to Santa Barbara. It had a decent amount of passengers in the boarding area. I also noticed that Boutique has a late night, around midnight flight to Merced. Maybe one of these two airlines will add the Palm Springs service. Walking around the terminal, I saw the Frontier flight to Las Vegas was moved to around 10:30 in the evening. It had been at 7:30.

F9’s SMF-LAS departs at slightly different times every day. Looking at the schedule for the week of 7/1:
-Monday 7/1: departs SMF 8:12pm
-Tuesday 7/2: departs SMF 10:32pm
-Wednesday 7/3: departs SMF 8:12pm
-Thursday 7/4: departs SMF 10:32pm
-Friday 7/5: departs SMF 8:12pm
-Saturday 7/6: departs SMF 9:36pm
-Sunday 7/7: departs SMF 10:32pm
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

smflyer

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 am

F9LASDEN wrote:
DesertAir wrote:

F9’s SMF-LAS departs at slightly different times every day. Looking at the schedule for the week of 7/1:
-Monday 7/1: departs SMF 8:12pm
-Tuesday 7/2: departs SMF 10:32pm
-Wednesday 7/3: departs SMF 8:12pm
-Thursday 7/4: departs SMF 10:32pm
-Friday 7/5: departs SMF 8:12pm
-Saturday 7/6: departs SMF 9:36pm
-Sunday 7/7: departs SMF 10:32pm

I was wondering the same thing too, but turns out the 8PM departures to LAS are routed DEN-SMF-LAS and vice versa and the 10PM departures are LAS-SMF-LAS. Must be an aircraft utilization thing since DEN only operates 4x/week.

Justapax

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 am

smflyer wrote:
Justapax wrote:

One thing I've found odd about SMF is the lack of breakfast options at the airport, especially since the majority of flights leave in the morning.

I agree. It seems like Paesano's is never open. Not in the morning when a gazillion people are there. and not tonight at 9:15, when my Delta flight from MSP landed. The place next to Peet's has a good breakfast burrito, but that's about it for breakfast food.

I am hoping that some of the new places that are opening have better/more options.

smflyer

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:32 pm

while booking a flight on DL, I noticed the mid-day turnaround to ATL has been up gauged to a 757 at least for 8/12. Not sure what day they are starting the 757 service and when it will end, but its a nice welcome to see a DL 757 at SMF again.

smflyer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:29 pm

https://www.kesq.com/news/sacramento-fl ... 1089213675

Contour Airlines adding Palm Springs, CA (PSP) out of SMF beginning Sept 16. The article mentioned that this will be seasonal service. Looks like contour had a press conference at PSP and is taking the press with them to SMF on one of their E135s to SMF for another press conference. VTE3702 is the flight number for the press flight if anyone is interested.

dolphinflyer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Contour service to PSP will launch on Sept 16, 2019 and run daily through May 14, 2020 as a fall/winter/spring seasonal service. On Sept 16, Contour will also add a second daily nonstop flight between SMF and SBA, for a total of three daily nonstops from SMF!

williaminsd
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Great news for all three airports and for Contour!

Morning departures and afternoon/evening returns each way. Can get a full day in SMF-SBA. Time for one meeting SBA-SMF.

SMF-SBA:
#3601 - Lv 7:00am - Ar 8:15
#3603 - Lv 3:45pm - Ar 5:00

SBA-SMF:
#3602 - Lv 8:45am - Ar 10:00
#3604 - Lv 5:35pm - Ar 6:50

Perfect mid-day/leisure market SMF-PSP routing.

SMF-PSP:
#3611 - Lv 10:45am - Ar 12:15

PSP-SMF:
#3612 - Lv 1:00pm - Ar 2:30

Looks like some pretty sweet utilization plus an RON at SMF.

I think Alaska missed these opportunities. Surprising for an airline that wants to increase California market-share.

SBAer

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:15 pm

I've enjoyed having the Contour at SBA, but man, my last trip to LAS. I had almost 4 hours of delays on 2 one-hour flights. Really hoping they do add SBA-SAN before too long.

smflyer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:16 pm

AS is adding another flight going up to 7 daily to SEA starting August as per the OAG forum:
AS SEA-SMF AUG 6>7[6]

Wingtips56

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Did anyone notice the Canadian North charter at McClellan today? Firefighters returning from Edmonton. Returned as "Empress" 5T9061, B733. I didn't know MCC had passenger handling services for a Boeing. I would have thought Mather would be more likely if not SMF itself. Does MCC get much traffic like this?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

ericm2031

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 am

SBAer wrote:
I've enjoyed having the Contour at SBA, but man, my last trip to LAS. I had almost 4 hours of delays on 2 one-hour flights. Really hoping they do add SBA-SAN before too long.

SBA-SAN is needed. But Contour’s reliability seems to be getting worse as they grow. They should fix their problems before they get a bad reputation

Wingtips56

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:07 am

ericm2031 wrote:
SBAer wrote:

SBA-SAN is needed. But Contour’s reliability seems to be getting worse as they grow. They should fix their problems before they get a bad reputation

Contour is having a really bad day today, in fact. It's going to carry over into tomorrow, at least for the morning CEC-OAK departure. It's usually the same aircraft for the CEC-OAK-SBA-SMF-SBA-OAK-CEC day. They flew one aircraft CEC-IWA (Phoenix-Mesa) today; major maintenance there? One was suppose to come back from IWA this evening, but that is now a couple of hours late too, and shows no sign of happening.

I just booked my sister-in-law yesterday to make that SMF-CEC-SMF route in September. I'm sure they'll have it sorted out by then.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

SBAer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:15 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
SBAer wrote:

Contour is having a really bad day today, in fact. It's going to carry over into tomorrow, at least for the morning CEC-OAK departure. It's usually the same aircraft for the CEC-OAK-SBA-SMF-SBA-OAK-CEC day. They flew one aircraft CEC-IWA (Phoenix-Mesa) today; major maintenance there? One was suppose to come back from IWA this evening, but that is now a couple of hours late too, and shows no sign of happening.

I just booked my sister-in-law yesterday to make that SMF-CEC-SMF route in September. I'm sure they'll have it sorted out by then.

So bad that even their website is offline... It looks like their late night LAS-SBA flight hasn't left yet either.

jetstream3399

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:25 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
SBAer wrote:

Contour was ranked the second most punctual airline in America in June by OAG. A systemwide OTP of 85.5% and a cancellation rate of 0.1% is still impressive.

https://www.oag.com/hubfs/2019%20OTP%20 ... eaf01dcc77

In fact, we've been ranked number one or number two in the country every month since the beginning of the year. We've had a few issues with the bleed systems that have impacted the West Coast operation as temperatures have climbed at stations like LAS, PGA, and PHX. As a result, we're in the process of replacing the bleed valves on every aircraft in the fleet. One aircraft was out of service having that work done yesterday when a second aircraft went tech due to a spoiler issue and was subsequently ferried to IWA. There are four aircraft based on the West Coast for three scheduled lines of flying. The third aircraft is back in service as of this morning but having to consolidate three lines into two lines yesterday was definitely not ideal for one of our busiest days of the year.

We've taken swift action to ensure that our operational performance remains industry leading.

SBAer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:00 pm

jetstream3399 wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
SBAer wrote:

Contour was ranked the second most punctual airline in America in June by OAG. A systemwide OTP of 85.5% and a cancellation rate of 0.1% is still impressive.

https://www.oag.com/hubfs/2019%20OTP%20 ... eaf01dcc77

In fact, we've been ranked number one or number two in the country every month since the beginning of the year. We've had a few issues with the bleed systems that have impacted the West Coast operation as temperatures have climbed at stations like LAS, PGA, and PHX. As a result, we're in the process of replacing the bleed valves on every aircraft in the fleet. One aircraft was out of service having that work done yesterday when a second aircraft went tech due to a spoiler issue and was subsequently ferried to IWA. There are four aircraft based on the West Coast for three scheduled lines of flying. The third aircraft is back in service as of this morning but having to consolidate three lines into two lines yesterday was definitely not ideal for one of our busiest days of the year.

We've taken swift action to ensure that our operational performance remains industry leading.

Do you work for LF? Or is that a quote from somewhere?

jetstream3399

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:17 pm

I do work for LF, but I'm not sure what you mean by quote. Did you click on the link to the OAG report?

Wingtips56

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:19 pm

jetstream3399 wrote:
I do work for LF, but I'm not sure what you mean by quote. Did you click on the link to the OAG report?

I think SBAer was referring to the text about the bleed valves and all. It sounds like a good company line, with the question being: are those your own words, or a quote from the Company or media source.

That said, it's a good explanation of a sucky Sunday (I worked my share of those many moons ago... 3 out of 5 over-scheduled SBA-based Apollo Airways Jetstreams out of service over the Thanksgiving weekend!), and shows LF is taking action. The performance since starting service here at CEC has been quite remarkable, with make-up flights run rather than full-out cancellations. But I've noticed more bad days since the previous expansion. Over expansion has bitten many an upstart carrier over the decades.

SBAer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Yes, just couldn't tell by you saying "we" if you worked for them, or you just quoted some other source.

I have limited sample size with Contour, about 5 flights now, with 3 being delayed >1 hour which I understands happens. However, the most recent delay on June 16th from LAS to SBA, there wasn't even a gate agent working the door to let everyone know about the delay. In fact, the signage auto-updated to say "Departed" when we were all sitting there. I'm glad LF flies to SBA and serves markets that we have desperately wanted, so I can't have many gripes. Just sucks when you see flight delays add on top of which other all day because of scheduling and you're stuck twiddling thumbs.

jetstream3399

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Got it, no that wasn't quoted from anywhere but we do have company-wide calls where the CEO brought up the issue and what we were doing to address it. There's no doubt it's been tied to the temperatures out west and the stress that the heat has placed on the cooling systems. We've gone back and opened up all of the aircraft to replace the valves but that takes several days on each aircraft; we started about two weeks ago and the last aircraft was completed today. It seems to have largely resolved the bleed issues we were seeing.

The East Coast operation has been unaffected despite being more disconnected from a routing perspective. Until May we only had two aircraft in California for two lines of flying and still we put up some unbelievable operational metrics. We have our own mechanics and parts inventory at all overnight outstations. When we added the third line of flying we also placed a spare ERJ based in SBA. Theoretically we've never had less strain on the system than we have now in terms of aircraft utilization so it's hard to see this as being tied to growth. As I said, the overall system performance has still been excellent.

Yflyer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Did anyone notice the Canadian North charter at McClellan today? Firefighters returning from Edmonton. Returned as "Empress" 5T9061, B733. I didn't know MCC had passenger handling services for a Boeing. I would have thought Mather would be more likely if not SMF itself. Does MCC get much traffic like this?

I don't know how much charter traffic MCC gets in relation to the other Sacramento airports, but I would guess they used MCC for this specific flight because that's where CalFire is based.

Wingtips56

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Yflyer wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

I don't know how much charter traffic MCC gets in relation to the other Sacramento airports, but I would guess they used MCC for this specific flight because that's where CalFire is based.

Of course, that makes sense. I imagine it was a plane-load of equipment too, warehoused there at MCC.

smflyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Dolphinflyer, you got us any updates for the June traffic?

williaminsd
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Yesterday I had a chance to try the new Escape Lounge in Concourse B, located to the immediate left after passing through security.

The official grand opening was Tuesday, and after a soft opening of several weeks it seemed to be running very well, led by an enthusiastic and well-trained staff eager to assist as you enjoy a quiet oasis away from the increasingly packed concourse serving Southwest’s 93 flights a day, as well as Alaska, JetBlue, Hawaiian, AeroMexico, Frontier, Volaris, Spirit, Boutique, Sun Country and Contour.

It’s the smaller of two, new Escape lounges, the other being in Concourse A, SMF’s legacy terminal serving American, Delta, United and Air Canada.

That’s the first thing you notice, it’s "cozy," and there's also no view of the ramp, which of course, I enjoy. But I was greeted with a welcoming smile and, having never used an “Escape” lounge before, a knowledgeable staff only too happy to explain how it works.

It takes you a second to let the quiet sink-in past the glass door that announces the lounges’ presence and separates you from the madding crowd. It’s a bit shocking how soothing it is… never knew “soothing” could come as a “shock,” but you very quickly adapt…

There are two rooms, one with more subdued lighting and high-back chairs with tables affording privacy, the other with open tables and the bar.

This second, brighter room is also where the food is, and last night there was a good selection of hot and cold snacks as well as the standard charcuterie, pastries, soups, fruits and other cheeses.

Escape has partnered with renowned local chef Colin Smith to develop the menu that last night included slow-roasted salmon, red wine braised short ribs with mashed potatoes and snap peas, spicy fried chicken sliders with slaw and pickle, fontina-stuffed peppers, albacore salad, and a caprese salad with artichokes and olives. It was really pretty good!

The L-shaped bar is fully stocked bar of course, but premium pours cost extra e.g., Johnnie Walker Red is included, but Johnnie Walker Black or Blue will cost you.

There is also a flight display board so you don't get too comfortable in your refined surroundings.

As has been noted, Amex Plat gets you in free, and other Amex levels offer varying degrees of discount. Entry includes all food and drink, including the bar. While some might be put-off by the $45 admission, I know I often spend that much on food/drink and here’s something you may not know: if you’re only planning on spending an hour inside before your flight, you can get in for only $25. Plenty of time for a couple of cocktails, unlimited and surprisingly good food, and priceless pre-flight relaxation.

Now make no mistake, this isn’t the Flagship BA lounge at Heathrow. It’s not even the Virgin lounge at SFO, but I was very pleased and will enjoy this lounge at every opportunity on my frequent trips to SMF.

Nice going Escape and SMF administration for bringing this option to weary travelers. See you again at the end of the month.
Last edited by williaminsd on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smflyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm

williaminsd wrote:
Yesterday I had a chance to try the new Escape Lounge in Concourse B, located to the immediate left after passing through security.

The official grand opening was Tuesday, and after a soft opening of several weeks it seemed to be running very well, led by an enthusiastic and well-trained staff eager to assist as you enjoy a quiet oasis away from the increasingly packed concourse serving Southwest’s 93 flights a day, as well as Alaska, JetBlue, Hawaiian, AeroMexico, Frontier, Volaris, Spirit, Boutique, Sun Country and Contour.

It’s the smaller of two, new Escape lounges, the other being in Concourse A, SMF’s legacy terminal serving American, Delta, United and Air Canada.

That’s the first thing you notice, it’s "cozy," and there's also no view of the ramp, which of course, I enjoy. But I was greeted with a welcoming smile and, having never used an “Escape” lounge before, a knowledgeable staff only too happy to explain how it works.

It takes you a second to let the quiet sink-in past the glass door that announces the lounges’ presence and separates you from the madding crowd. It’s a bit shocking how soothing it is… never knew “soothing” could come as a “shock,” but you very quickly adapt…

There are two rooms, one with more subdued lighting and high-back chairs with tables affording privacy, the other with open tables and the bar.

This second, brighter room is also where the food is, and last night there was a good selection of hot and cold snacks as well as the standard charcuterie, pastries, soups, fruits and other cheeses.

Escape has partnered with renowned local chef Colin Smith to develop the menu that last night included slow-roasted salmon, red wine braised short ribs with mashed potatoes and snap peas, spicy fried chicken sliders with slaw and pickle, fontina-stuffed peppers, albacore salad, and a caprese salad with artichokes and olives. It was really pretty good!

The L-shaped bar is fully stocked bar of course, but premium pours cost extra e.g., Johnnie Walker Red is included, but Johnnie Walker Black or Blue will cost you.

There is also a flight display board so you don't get too comfortable in your refined surroundings.

As has been noted, Amex Plat gets you free, and other Amex levels offer varying degrees of discount. Entry includes all food and drink, including the bar. While some might be put-off by the $45 admission, I know I often spend that much on food/drink and here’s something you may not know: if you’re only planning on spending an hour inside before your flight, you can get in for only $25. Plenty of time for a couple of cocktails, unlimited and surprisingly good food, and priceless pre-flight relaxation.

Now make no mistake, this isn’t the Flagship BA lounge at Heathrow. It’s not even the Virgin lounge at SFO, but I was very pleased and will enjoy this lounge at every opportunity on my frequent trips to SMF.

Nice going Escape and SMF administration for bringing this option to weary travelers. See you again at the end of the month.

Now I'm really considering that Amex Platinum! Thanks for the informative post williaminsd!

williaminsd
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm

jetstream3399 wrote:

BTW - When I arrived at SMF earlier this week, I noticed a healthy pax count in the gate holding area for the Contour return to SBA. I think your 135s are configured for 30. Had to be close to full, if not full. Wishing you and Contour all the best at SMF.

And you're welcome smflyer...

smflyer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 am

williaminsd wrote:
jetstream3399 wrote:

BTW - When I arrived at SMF earlier this week, I noticed a healthy pax count in the gate holding area for the Contour return to SBA. I think your 135s are configured for 30. Had to be close to full, if not full. Wishing you and Contour all the best at SMF.

And you're welcome smflyer...

Speaking of packed, have you noticed that they moved Frontier and Sun Country to gate B22 (Southwest's side). So not only are they packing in those 92 WN flights on that side but another 3 flights from these two. Interesting the airport is forcing WN to shuffle around their planes to make space rather than make space on the Alaska side.

dolphinflyer

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 pm

During June 2019, SMF handled 1,178,297 passengers, marking an 8.2% increase on a 10.4% seat capacity increase yoy. AS, DL, HA and Y4 registered double-digit yoy traffic increases for the month.

For the fiscal year ending June 2019, SMF handled 12,588,130 passengers, marking a 9.3% traffic increase on a 9.6% seat capacity increase yoy. This also marks a significant passenger increase over the 12 million passengers handled during CY2018.

amadorE175

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 am

I don't know the exact day it starts (~Sep. 2) but it looks like DL is rescheduling SMF-DTW as a daytime flight (departing ~12pm), upgauged to a 739.

smflyer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
I don't know the exact day it starts (~Sep. 2) but it looks like DL is rescheduling SMF-DTW as a daytime flight (departing ~12pm), upgauged to a 739.

Looks like they're adjusting for fall demand. Currently there is 3x daily to MSP and 1x to DTW. The DTW comes into SMF in the afternoon and turns around and heads to MSP. One of the evening arrivals from MSP turns around to make the red eye to DTW. According to the schedule it appears DL is removing the red eye and having the arriving DTW flight in the afternoon turn back around to DTW. This leaves us with 2x daily to MSP and 1x DTW for the fall schedule.

Just did a flight search and it appears DL will be up gauging quite a bit in the fall: 757 to ATL, A321 to SLC, 739 to DTW/MSP.

smflyer

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Looks like DL will be starting A220 service up to SEA starting April 1 next year on the 2 morning flights and then will be upping it to all A220 service 5x daily on June 8. Kind of excited to fly on this new bird soon!

AS also appears to be starting A320 service up to SEA on one of the daily frequencies later this year which I found while searching for a flight. Not sure when it will start and for how long.

Justapax

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 am

smflyer wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:

Looks like they're adjusting for fall demand. Currently there is 3x daily to MSP and 1x to DTW. The DTW comes into SMF in the afternoon and turns around and heads to MSP. One of the evening arrivals from MSP turns around to make the red eye to DTW. According to the schedule it appears DL is removing the red eye and having the arriving DTW flight in the afternoon turn back around to DTW. This leaves us with 2x daily to MSP and 1x DTW for the fall schedule.

Just did a flight search and it appears DL will be up gauging quite a bit in the fall: 757 to ATL, A321 to SLC, 739 to DTW/MSP.

It's anecdotal, of course. But I have been on 3 DL SMF-MSP round trips int he past 5 weeks. Every one has been packed. They have been on the 737-800. Looks like DL is doing well in Sacramento.

smflyer

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:31 pm

Justapax wrote:
smflyer wrote:
amadorE175 wrote:

It's anecdotal, of course. But I have been on 3 DL SMF-MSP round trips int he past 5 weeks. Every one has been packed. They have been on the 737-800. Looks like DL is doing well in Sacramento.

Agreed, every flight I've been on for the last year has been completely full out of SMF.

Dolphinflyer, you got us the July traffic update?

bluefltspecial

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 am

Just took a quick look and both AA and DL are now operating all flights with Dual Cabin aircraft while UA continues to operate two-three CRJs.

Looks as Delta has planned to hold on to the morning mainline albeit operating with A319 equipment to LAX over winter through March, it'll go back to E175 for a few months but in June it's currently planned for a RON/morning 737-800 departure.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

Justapax

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 am

bluefltspecial wrote:
Just took a quick look and both AA and DL are now operating all flights with Dual Cabin aircraft while UA continues to operate two-three CRJs.

Looks as Delta has planned to hold on to the morning mainline albeit operating with A319 equipment to LAX over winter through March, it'll go back to E175 for a few months but in June it's currently planned for a RON/morning 737-800 departure.

Those UA CRJs, on some long flights, and between major markets (not "regional" ones) are one reason I left UA..

smflyer

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:07 am

bluefltspecial wrote:

Looks like you're referring to the SMF-LAX routes? I believe AA UA DL all operated mainline to LAX on at least 1 frequency in the Oct-Dec timeframe last year, but it looks like DL is the only one that will be operating in that regard going forward. AA has cut back to E175 only and UA has completely retracted from a mixture of mainline/E175 all the way down to just 3 daily CRJ2 daily.

The route is highly competitive and its not uncommon to see fares in the $50s range one way. I suspect AA/UA have cut back to better utilize aircraft on higher yielding routes due to the MAX issues. DL of course doesn't have the MAX so they can take that market share in that segment. All 3 carriers want to dominate LAX, so it doesn't surprise me that they've maintained departure frequency as they've cut capacity.

dolphinflyer

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:45 pm

During July 2019, SMF handled over 1.23 million passengers, marking an 11.6% increase on a capacity increase of 12.9% yoy. Double digit yoy passenger increases were registered by Alaska, Delta, Hawaiian and Volaris. 1.23 million passengers marks the highest monthly passenger volume that the airport has seen in its history, and bodes well for SMF clearing well over 13 million passengers during CY2019.

smflyer

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Southwest just announced Hawaii service starting Jan 19, 2020 to HNL

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 3aBCn9WCzy

smflyer

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:10 pm

got the August numbers for us Dolphinflyer? Thanks!

flyfresno

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:30 pm

smflyer wrote:
UA has completely retracted from a mixture of mainline/E175 all the way down to just 3 daily CRJ2 daily.

UA’s logic seems to be a bit off, or they know something everyone else doesn’t. This has happened a lot in Fresno too: jump back and forth from a CR2 to mainline. I don’t get it, no one from big cities wants to fly on that thing anymore. It’s one thing to fly it into SCK or even BFL where the alternative is no service, but UA is now the only CR2 operator in FAT, SMF, and quite a few other markets. At least put a CR7 on these routes..

smflyer

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 pm

flyfresno wrote:
smflyer wrote:
UA has completely retracted from a mixture of mainline/E175 all the way down to just 3 daily CRJ2 daily.

UA’s logic seems to be a bit off, or they know something everyone else doesn’t. This has happened a lot in Fresno too: jump back and forth from a CR2 to mainline. I don’t get it, no one from big cities wants to fly on that thing anymore. It’s one thing to fly it into SCK or even BFL where the alternative is no service, but UA is now the only CR2 operator in FAT, SMF, and quite a few other markets. At least put a CR7 on these routes..

I have a feeling UA is tweaking routes due to the MAX issues. It seems that they're deploying the CR2 on routes that either have no competition at all or on routes where yield is normally trash but need to maintain the route for competitiveness. Looks like the business decision was to move the bigger planes away from low yield markets and better utilize them where they can get the best bang for the buck as UA is short on seats as it is even if they weren't dealing with the MAX issues. I'm positive the CR2 will disappear real quick as soon as the MAX is back in service and UA has excess capacity again for larger regionals or mainline to SMF/FAT.

Justapax

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:07 pm

flyfresno wrote:
smflyer wrote:

It's one of the reasons I left UA. LAX-SMF should not be a CR2 route. Or DEN-SMF. That was from a few years ago, but UA still has a number of CR2 routes service major markets.

dolphinflyer

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 pm

SMF handled 1,186,402 passengers during August 2019, marking a 10.4% yoy increase on an 11.7% yoy seat capacity increase for the month. Double-digit yoy passenger increases were registered by AeroMexico, Alaska, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, jetBlue and Volaris. Truly an amazing traffic month for the airport!

smflyer

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 pm

dolphinflyer wrote:
SMF handled 1,186,402 passengers during August 2019, marking a 10.4% yoy increase on an 11.7% yoy seat capacity increase for the month. Double-digit yoy passenger increases were registered by AeroMexico, Alaska, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, jetBlue and Volaris. Truly an amazing traffic month for the airport!

Amazing numbers! Glad to see the continued growth.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos