wnflyguy

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
With WN's schedule being on Thursday (Aug 15th) I am assuming they plan on removing the MAXs from the schedule at the same time

All MAX aircraft have been removed from the current flight schedule out for sale. On Thursday the schedule release will include increased Hawaii flying and CZM. A lot of speculation that winter flying will eliminate a lot markets from year round to seasonal due to lack of aircraft.
International news there is talk of the return of BDA in the spring. BWI-BDA 16:15-21:00 and BDA-BWI 09:00-10:45.
Flyguy

Have you looked at the current flight schedule? It clearly shows the MAXs still in the schedule after October

I reached out to HDQ Friend and this was the response I got.
"Flights that aren't being eliminated due to the MAX8 grounding and are not part of the rebooking process still show MAX equipment should have a Equipment change on Thursday either to a 7378 or 7377.
For all practical purposes And fleet schedule operation planning the MAX8 has been removed from the operation schedule.
New complete Schedule will load up on Thursday morning."

This grounding and unknown return date timeline has got to be painful in WN network planning and revenue management department.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

KMCOFlyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:33 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Sounds like all the new Hawaii flights will start on November 3 for Both LIH and ITO with 4 HNL-LIH, 4 HNL-ITO . HNL will gain 1 SAN-HNL , 1 SMF-HNL. HNL-OGG 4>5 daily.

CZM on March 1 with 1 daily HOU and 1 MDW Saturday only, 1 BWI Saturday only.

Flyguy

Any idea why direct flights to KOA from the mainland aren't on the table? I flew KOA-HNL on WN a few months ago and 25/100 pax onboard were connecting to the SJC flight and several others were connecting to the OAK flight as well.

jplatts

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Any idea why direct flights to KOA from the mainland aren't on the table? I flew KOA-HNL on WN a few months ago and 25/100 pax onboard were connecting to the SJC flight and several others were connecting to the OAK flight as well.

WN currently needs some of its ETOPS-equipped 737-800's for domestic flights within the contiguous U.S. and for international flights to and from the Caribbean while the 737 MAX is grounded, but WN will likely add KOA-OAK nonstop service once WN has some 737 MAX 8 planes back in service.

SANFan

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:48 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
With WN's schedule being on Thursday (Aug 15th)...

On Thursday the schedule release will include increased Hawaii flying and CZM.
Flyguy

IF this is all true, then it appears that WN is now treating Hawaiian expansion just like any other added flying -- new flights and routes will just quietly show up in new schedules? No special press releases or "parties" or anything? (Not so far anyway.)

Seems to me the carrier has quickly become rather 'ho-hum' about their Hawaii service and its expansion -- something I didn't expect to see given all the delays and big deal their initial entry into the market carried with it. I know the whole MAX situation had a lot to do with the rollout of Hawaii but still, I would have expected the energy and press coverage for new mainland-Islands service might have remained higher for a while longer, at least past the 1st city or two (OAK & SJC) to see service.

(Of course so far, it's rumors only that say SAN and SMF will see Hawaii service announced this Thursday. I'll believe it when it happens...)

bb

wnflyguy

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm

SANFan wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Flyguy

IF this is all true, then it appears that WN is now treating Hawaiian expansion just like any other added flying -- new flights and routes will just quietly show up in new schedules? No special press releases or "parties" or anything? (Not so far anyway.)

Seems to me the carrier has quickly become rather 'ho-hum' about their Hawaii service and its expansion -- something I didn't expect to see given all the delays and big deal their initial entry into the market carried with it. I know the whole MAX situation had a lot to do with the rollout of Hawaii but still, I would have expected the energy and press coverage for new mainland-Islands service might have remained higher for a while longer, at least past the 1st city or two (OAK & SJC) to see service.

(Of course so far, it's rumors only that say SAN and SMF will see Hawaii service announced this Thursday. I'll believe it when it happens...)

bb

I Don't think is Ho-hum but more alone the lines they had no other choice given the MAX8 grounding issues. I think a 2nd wave lacklustre Hawaii expansion come from an EWR withdrawal hardships it brings on it's employees going into the Holiday seasons.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

jplatts

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm

There is an article in the Denver Post that said that WN could add 100 more flights out of DEN if it gets the 16 additional gates that it requested, and that article can be found at https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/14/southwest-airlines-denver-airport-watterson/.

WN732

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm

jplatts wrote:
There is an article in the Denver Post that said that WN could add 100 more flights out of DEN if it gets the 16 additional gates that it requested, and that article can be found at https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/14/southwest-airlines-denver-airport-watterson/.

I hope they do. Denver is in a good spot geographically. Hopefully, we'll see more flights to New York.

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:43 pm

WN732 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I hope they do. Denver is in a good spot geographically. Hopefully, we'll see more flights to New York.

Going to be tough with EWR going away. Unless you mean New York State.

WN732

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Right, hopefully, if they can nab more slots at LGA.

phllax

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:36 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
All MAX aircraft have been removed from the current flight schedule out for sale. On Thursday the schedule release will include increased Hawaii flying and CZM. A lot of speculation that winter flying will eliminate a lot markets from year round to seasonal due to lack of aircraft.
International news there is talk of the return of BDA in the spring. BWI-BDA 16:15-21:00 and BDA-BWI 09:00-10:45.
Flyguy

Have you looked at the current flight schedule? It clearly shows the MAXs still in the schedule after October

"Flights that aren't being eliminated due to the MAX8 grounding and are not part of the rebooking process still show MAX equipment should have a Equipment change on Thursday either to a 7378 or 7377.
For all practical purposes And fleet schedule operation planning the MAX8 has been removed from the operation schedule.

This grounding and unknown return date timeline has got to be painful in WN network planning and revenue management department.

Flyguy

I spoke to an agent yesterday who said that the pre-Jan 5 MAX flying will be adjusted, but they don't think it will happen concurrently with tomorrow's schedule release, but possible a week later after the dust settles.

mkorpal333

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 pm

jplatts wrote:

I wonder how much of that would be frequency increases vs new routes. I'm not seeing a ton of obvious new routes.

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:36 pm

WN732 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
WN732 wrote:

Right, hopefully, if they can nab more slots at LGA.

Can they fly DEN-LGA? Isn’t it outside the perimeter except on weekends?

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm

phllax wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Flyguy

I spoke to an agent yesterday who said that the pre-Jan 5 MAX flying will be adjusted, but they don't think it will happen concurrently with tomorrow's schedule release, but possible a week later after the dust settles.

I have a flight i am scheduled to fly that looks like it got zeroed out (and every same flight that month on Saturday) So I think they at least have gotten that far with them.

jplatts

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

WN, UA, DL, and F9 all have daily nonstop service to DEN from LGA, and there is a special exemption in the LGA perimeter rule that allows daily nonstop service to DEN from LGA (even though DEN is outside of the 1,500 mi LGA perimeter).

jplatts

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 pm

mkorpal333 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I wonder how much of that would be frequency increases vs new routes. I'm not seeing a ton of obvious new routes.

There are still a few more domestic nonstop routes such as DEN-BHM, DEN-CLT, DEN-DSM, DEN-LIT, and DEN-ICT that will probably be added by WN out of DEN.

PVD757

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:01 pm

DEN-PVD

SANFan

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 pm

So when do all the wild, meaningless and ridiculous speculation and rumors begin regarding tomorrow's schedule release?

There certainly must be more than what's been said so far -- a couple of new Hawaii routes (yawn*) and CZM? Is that going to have to do? (* WN's viewpoint, not mine.)

This is as good a place as any to talk about the new schedules. Let me start.

Will the schedules released be effective in January 6 or will WN essentially re-release everything from November on? Will some of the longer, perhaps more high-profile nonstops that have been 'temporarily' dropped (I'm thinking of SAN-MCO for one) be re-started?

I hope to hear some wild and crazy stuff listed here soon...

bb

Silver1SWA

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm

SANFan wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Flyguy

bb

What makes you say this? I expect some buzz. They’ve just had to stay low and not make promises they can’t deliver. They can’t seem to catch a break with Hawaii. The mechanics dispute, the delayed ETOPS approval, government shutdown all delaying launch and now the grounded MAX directly impacting the rest of their plans. It’s also been a slow process with some growing pains getting stations fully up to speed in order to handle expansion.

I don’t think they’ll just sneak in the new routes. I expect some fanfare, especially when those flights start.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 pm

SANFan wrote:
So when do all the wild, meaningless and ridiculous speculation and rumors begin regarding tomorrow's schedule release?

There certainly must be more than what's been said so far -- a couple of new Hawaii routes (yawn*) and CZM? Is that going to have to do? (* WN's viewpoint, not mine.)

Will the schedules released be effective in January 6 or will WN essentially re-release everything from November on? Will some of the longer, perhaps more high-profile nonstops that have been 'temporarily' dropped (I'm thinking of SAN-MCO for one) be re-started?

bb

I think it will just look a lot like Jan/Feb from this year more so then Nov/Dec. They cut back on a lot of longer routes midwest/east to West Coast. I figure they will do that again for the routes they didn't already cut back on for MAX cutbacks. Might have the Hawaii and CZM adds but that is all I would realistically expect.

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

WN, UA, DL, and F9 all have daily nonstop service to DEN from LGA, and there is a special exemption in the LGA perimeter rule that allows daily nonstop service to DEN from LGA (even though DEN is outside of the 1,500 mi LGA perimeter).

Thanks, I didn't realize it was allowed.

WN732

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 am

SANFan wrote:

bb

In my opinion and this is my very humble opinion, I believe that they will play it safe with this release. The MAX groundings are terrible, but I think throwing out a bunch of seats and then having to retract them would be more damaging. Although, WN has much more insider info than we do, and January is still 4 months away, so who knows...

Jshank83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:54 pm

I feel like these releases get later in the day every time.. Hopefully it is out in the next hour

SteveXC500

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I feel like these releases get later in the day every time.. Hopefully it is out in the next hour

What ever happened to Herb time?

jplatts

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pm

WN was supposed to extend its schedule to 3/6/20 today, but WN hasn't pushed out today's schedule extension yet. WN also usually has its extended schedule available by this time on the date of an normal schedule extension.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Schedule is out now. My computer isn't letting me view the normal route map so I can't see any easy adds.

STL-OAK is back to year round though after 2 years of having Jan/Feb off. So that is good.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:57 pm

SMF to Hawaii has been added. Also looks like other interisland airports have been added as well

barney captain

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Hilo and Lihue are in
Southeast Of Disorder

jplatts

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm

I have noticed that some WN nonstop routes out of BOS have been dropped from its schedule in January 2020, including ATL-BOS, AUS-BOS, DAL-BOS, HOU-BOS, MCI-BOS, and MKE-BOS. I am unsure if these discontinuations are permanent or if these discontinuations are temporary suspensions due to 737 MAX grounding.

sprxUSA

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm

See OGG-KOA has one nonstop....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

SANFan

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Something has me scratching my head -- in late December, up thru ~Jan 4, I'm seeing SAN-EWR nonstops. I thought EWR was closed as of early November. Interesting.

It also looks like SAN-MCO is back in January. Well, 'back' as in I see 2 nonstops on Sundays only... It's something I guess.

bb

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm

PVD and BDL look to be flat or consistent with last year. BOS gets another haircut with no BOS-ATL/MCI/MKE showing weekdays in January
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

ericm2031

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Doubling of interisland flights to 34 daily

Sacramento-Honolulu: Daily service begins Jan. 19.

Oakland-Kona: Flights begin Jan. 19 and will be offered four times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday).

Oakland-Kauai (Lihue Airport): Flights begin Jan. 21 and will be offered three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).

San Jose-Kauai: Flights begin Jan. 19 and will be offered four times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday).

San Jose-Kona: Flights begin Jan. 21 and will be offered three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).

Honolulu-Kauai: Four daily flights beginning Jan. 19

Honolulu-Hilo: Four daily flights beginning Jan. 19

Maui-Kona: Daily service begins Jan. 19.

WeatherPilot

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
I have noticed that some WN nonstop routes out of BOS have been dropped from its schedule in January 2020, including ATL-BOS, AUS-BOS, DAL-BOS, HOU-BOS, MCI-BOS, and MKE-BOS. I am unsure if these discontinuations are permanent or if these discontinuations are temporary suspensions due to 737 MAX grounding.

That’s like a third of their Boston routes. Maybe they’re going to let DL and B6 duke it out and come back later to pick up the pieces when it’s all over.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:43 pm

jplatts wrote:

*Delta has entered the chat*
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 pm

They must really be pulling a decent amount of aircraft from the mainland, which is an odd strategy given their fleet situation

https://www.southwest.com/hawaii/

SANFan

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:57 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Doubling of interisland flights to 34 daily

Sacramento-Honolulu: Daily service begins Jan. 19.
Oakland-Kona: Flights begin Jan. 19 and will be offered four times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday).
Oakland-Kauai (Lihue Airport): Flights begin Jan. 21 and will be offered three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).
San Jose-Kauai: Flights begin Jan. 19 and will be offered four times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday).
San Jose-Kona: Flights begin Jan. 21 and will be offered three times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).
Honolulu-Kauai: Four daily flights beginning Jan. 19
Honolulu-Hilo: Four daily flights beginning Jan. 19
Maui-Kona: Daily service begins Jan. 19.

Very interesting - thanx for the summary of the Hawaii additions eric'.

It's obvious that WN's Hawaii strategy is all about the (expanded) Bay Area (inc SMF) -- to all 4 islands now. Plus lots of interisland service.

I do see their priorities now and I wish WN good luck with their "all eggs in one basket" approach to serving the Islands... (And this has nothing to do with the MAX groundings or FAA delays.)

bb

barney captain

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Sanfan -

You may appreciate this a bit more ;)

https://www.facebook.com/SouthwestAir/v ... 217997994/
Southeast Of Disorder

jplatts

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:

*Delta has entered the chat*

Update to WN BOS cuts:
ATL-BOS, MCI-BOS, MKE-BOS permanently discontinued after January 5th
AUS-BOS and DAL-BOS reduced to seasonal nonstop service after January 5th
HOU-BOS reduced to Sunday-only starting on January 5th

Here is a link of the adds and cuts being made by WN starting in January 2020:
https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/htcpi66732/attachments/htcpi66732/stories/48087/1/Updated%202020%20January%20Base%20Summary.pdf

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Not seeing MKE-LAX in this period, and that’s bad for me
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Silver1SWA

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:28 pm

I’m guessing they need to wait for the MAX to return before they can make SAN to Hawaii happen.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jplatts

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
Not seeing MKE-LAX in this period, and that’s bad for me

WN actually announced in today's schedule extension that MKE-LAX is a seasonal suspension and not a permanent discontinuation.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm

So permanent cuts are:
ATL-BOS
MCI-BOS
MKE-BOS
OAK-CMH
CUN-LAX
DAL-JAX
DAL-OKC
DAL-SFO
FLL-JAX
LAX-OMA
LAX-PIT
LAX-PVR
LGA-MCO
AUS-SFO

Lots of 1x weekly adds though
CVG-FLL
CLE-FLL
CVG-TPA
FLL-ROC
FLL-SDF

tphuang

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm

why am I not surprised that FLL-JAX is done.

SWADawg

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm

I really am at a loss as to what to make of this schedule. Some of the permanent cuts seem rather draconian given that the timeline for the MAX return to service seems to be getting more certain. The cuts out of DAL are particularly disturbing DAL-SFO? DAL-OKC?, these are bread and butter trunk routes for WN and should be doing well. It will be interesting to see if these “permanent cuts” remain permanent once the MAX is back in the schedule. I suspect some of these routes will return once the MAX is sorted out. If not, then something big is going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about yet.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

ctrabs0114

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm

And PIT-LAX is gone. Which means NK is the only option on that route ... and that sucks.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ctrabs0114

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 pm

SWADawg wrote:
I really am at a loss as to what to make of this schedule. Some of the permanent cuts seem rather draconian given that the timeline for the MAX return to service seems to be getting more certain. The cuts out of DAL are particularly disturbing DAL-SFO? DAL-OKC?, these are bread and butter trunk routes for WN and should be doing well. It will be interesting to see if these “permanent cuts” remain permanent once the MAX is back in the schedule. I suspect some of these routes will return once the MAX is sorted out. If not, then something big is going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about yet.

DAL-SFO cuts would seem to be mitigated by the fact that there's still service on DAL-SJC and DAL-OAK.

But, cutting DAL-OKC? Granted, that's a four-hour drive up I-35, but ouch.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

bob75013

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
They must really be pulling a decent amount of aircraft from the mainland, which is an odd strategy given their fleet situation

https://www.southwest.com/hawaii/

Why is it an odd strategy?. Lower 48 travel is dead from 1/3 thru spring break. Travel to Hawaii isn't.

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:03 pm

SANFan wrote:
Something has me scratching my head -- in late December, up thru ~Jan 4, I'm seeing SAN-EWR nonstops. I thought EWR was closed as of early November. Interesting.

It also looks like SAN-MCO is back in January. Well, 'back' as in I see 2 nonstops on Sundays only... It's something I guess.

bb

That route SAN-MCO has dodged around so much I'm never sure if it's still run.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

SANFan

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
I’m guessing they need to wait for the MAX to return before they can make SAN to Hawaii happen.

And why do you say that Silver1'? WN obviously found the equipment to start five (5!) new routes from existing gateways, and even a NEW mainland city, to the Islands in January.

Never mind, it doesn't really matter. It is, however, somewhat annoying and confusing to learn where WN's priorities are these days. Or perhaps I should say 'where they aren't.. As I've been saying for over 6 months now, I'll believe it if or when I see the first w/b flight depart from SAN...

barney captain wrote:
Sanfan -
You may appreciate this a bit more ;)
https://www.facebook.com/SouthwestAir/v ... 217997994/

Hey, thanks for the effort Cap'n'. Let's hear it for the future!

Oh, and just in case I haven't said it lately, I'll believe it if or when I see the first w/b flight depart from SAN...

bb

maps4ltd

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

DAL-SFO cuts would seem to be mitigated by the fact that there's still service on DAL-SJC and DAL-OAK.

But, cutting DAL-OKC? Granted, that's a four-hour drive up I-35, but ouch.

American's gonna have a field day on DFW-OKC. And I think DAL-SFO is still served by Alaska.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos