Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WNCrew

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:10 pm

barney captain wrote:
phllax wrote:

Barney,

I get the gist of it. We were on N8565Z and I didn’t notice life rafts.

Only the 83XX series of -800's are etops and to my knowledge, they're the only a/c that have the rafts physically installed. Some of the 700's we got from the second market have the ceiling compartments, but i think all the rafts were removed for weight savings since they aren't needed.

Only the N8301-8329 are ETOPS -800 A/C and they all have additional POBs and 4 rafts

The 737 MAX8 A/C (while not technically ETOPS) also have compartments, but no rafts had been installed yet.

There are also -700's which are non-ETOPS, but they are equipped for extended overwater Ops. They have three raft compartments.
- Rafts are installed/removed as needed depending on time of year and which routes they may need rafts on.

There are -700's from OAL as well that have 1 or 2 ceiling compartments but they weren't necessarily intended to ever hold rafts... they can also be used for storage of supplies, though WN does not allow this. They just stay closed and sealed.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

barney captain

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:15 pm

WNCrew wrote:
barney captain wrote:
phllax wrote:

Barney,

I get the gist of it. We were on N8565Z and I didn’t notice life rafts.

Only the 83XX series of -800's are etops and to my knowledge, they're the only a/c that have the rafts physically installed. Some of the 700's we got from the second market have the ceiling compartments, but i think all the rafts were removed for weight savings since they aren't needed.

Only the N8301-8329 are ETOPS -800 A/C and they all have additional POBs and 4 rafts

The 737 MAX8 A/C (while not technically ETOPS) also have compartments, but no rafts had been installed yet.

There are also -700's which are non-ETOPS, but they are equipped for extended overwater Ops. They have three raft compartments.
- Rafts are installed/removed as needed depending on time of year and which routes they may need rafts on.

There are -700's from OAL as well that have 1 or 2 ceiling compartments but they weren't necessarily intended to ever hold rafts... they can also be used for storage of supplies, though WN does not allow this. They just stay closed and sealed.

Thanks for the clarification, and now that you mentioned it, I remember taking a -700 CUN-HOU and we were able to cut directly across the Gulf because we had rafts. :bigthumbsup:
Southeast Of Disorder

gabep

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:00 am

WNCrew wrote:

Could you expand on your assertion that the 737-8s are not “technically” ETOPS? Does WN have plans to either bring in ETOPS Max planes with later deliveries or modify existing inventory?

Thanks,

Gabep

WNCrew

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:36 am

gabep wrote:

Could you expand on your assertion that the 737-8s are not “technically” ETOPS? Does WN have plans to either bring in ETOPS Max planes with later deliveries or modify existing inventory?

Thanks,

Gabep

As I understand it, which could be incorrect... the MAX8 aircraft were delivered "ETOPS ready"... meaning they have the necessary bits and pieces for ETOPS, though they've not been added to the Ops Spec as aircraft that are in the ETOPS fleet. ETOPS aircraft are maintained a bit differently than the rest, so to include ANY aircraft that you weren't utilizing for ETOPS routes would be expensive.

It was explained to me that, even now, if an ETOPS aircraft works a non-ETOPS route, it still has to be maintained as if it were working ETOPS missions.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

WN732

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:43 am

ADent wrote:
Flew SJU-BWI and our plane didn’t have rafts (that I could see). W/o rafts you have to stay close to land.

Years ago flew DEN-MCO and due to nasty storms we went into the gulf over Texas. We just cut across the gulf because we had rafts on board.

So WN could add rafts and fly more direct routings. But rafts also weigh more and require service. I assume the company would optimize things.

Also the WN fleet is a bit scrambled with 35 MAX jets parked in the desert, plus however many undelivered.

I'm not sure how many jets have rafts but I can only recall being on one in the past year. I've flown about 15 WN trips on various routes but only one had rafts.

KDAL

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:47 am

gabep wrote:
WNCrew wrote:

Thanks,

Gabep

The Max's that were on property at the time of the grounding were all equipped from Boeing to be ETOPS aircraft. Any ETOPS equipment that was removable was not kept on board - rafts, etc. Exactly how the 83xx tails were set up before they started doing ETOPS. It takes a few days of conformity work to physically get them ready to go. The bigger issue is that the Max isn't in the opspec as ETOPS. Most of the work is paperwork related. They would have to pass muster with the FAA first, similar (but not nearly as extensive) as the original ETOPS application completed earlier this year. WN chose to start Hawaii service with the -800 and bring the Max-8 to the islands later. Turned out to be a very prudent choice.

TL;DR - They were set up to take the ETOPS equipment, but need it installed and paperwork complete to actually do ETOPS routes.

Also, I don't know how many of the remaining Max-8 deliveries were to be ETOPS equipped. I have to imagine that they're not all going to be.
All opinions and views expressed are my own and not representative of those of Southwest Airlines Co., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

qf789

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:49 pm

Please continue discussion in Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437991
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos