FA9295

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I enjoy looking at these other airport's Facebook pages when they announce BNA service, and the comments are all full of excited people.

That also happens with PDX. When BNA tweeted that there were some new routes being announced soon, about half of the twitter replies were guessing PDX, and luckily, they got their wish (albeit, only a less than daily summer seasonal flight, on a less-than mediocre airline).

The same happened when RDU announced new routes from NK. A lot of people wanted PDX, but it didn't happen.

Fargo

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 am

FA9295 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I enjoy looking at these other airport's Facebook pages when they announce BNA service, and the comments are all full of excited people.

That also happens with PDX. When BNA tweeted that there were some new routes being announced soon, about half of the twitter replies were guessing PDX, and luckily, they got their wish (albeit, only a less than daily summer seasonal flight, on a less-than mediocre airline).

The same happened when RDU announced new routes from NK. A lot of people wanted PDX, but it didn't happen.

WN will launch BNA-PDX sooner or later. With the apparent focus on making BNA the premier southeastern US connecting point for WN, they'll want this to better connect the southeast to PDX.

stl07

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 am

tys777 wrote:
The new seasonal route to McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) includes:

Pittsburgh via Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) – beginning May 17, 2019 with fares as low as $49* each way.

wonder how much money G4 is getting for it
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

southwest1675

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 am

Fargo wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

WN will launch BNA-PDX sooner or later. With the apparent focus on making BNA the premier southeastern US connecting point for WN, they'll want this to better connect the southeast to PDX.

WN could shift the RIC, GSP, PBI, and IND flights from ATL to BNA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AaronPGH

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 am

stl07 wrote:
tys777 wrote:
The new seasonal route to McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) includes:

Pittsburgh via Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) – beginning May 17, 2019 with fares as low as $49* each way.

wonder how much money G4 is getting for it

I doubt Knoxville was on PIT's wish list, so probably just the base level they offer any new route...some waived fees.

runner13

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:04 am

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-canad ... -and-more/

Upgraded service to two CRJ-900's. So reduction in frequencies from 3-2 but bigger aircraft.

southwest1675

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:54 am

I wonder if BNA will see service to either YVR or YUL.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

DakotaFlyer

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:17 am

southwest1675 wrote:

If the YYC route is doing well, certainly can't see why Vancouver wouldn't be successful. Certainly some minor entertainment connections. However, wonder how many Calgary passengers originate in Vancouver.

MAH4546

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:41 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

If the YYC route is doing well, certainly can't see why Vancouver wouldn't be successful. Certainly some minor entertainment connections. However, wonder how many Calgary passengers originate in Vancouver.

There are probably no entertainment connections.

Calgary likely works because Alberta is country music territory. I bet there's a lot of tourism traffic from Alberta, and central Canada in general.
a.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:50 am

MAH4546 wrote:

Calgary likely works because Alberta is country music territory. I bet there's a lot of tourism traffic from Alberta, and central Canada in general.

When I was living in Nashville, I flew up to Alberta for a few days' vacation. A Mountie stopped me and my rental car for speeding outside Banff. He took a look at my Tennessee driver's license and said, "What are you doing up here? Everyone from here goes down there!" (He let me go with a warning.)

EvanWSFO

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:31 am

southwest1675 wrote:

I think something like WS doing a seasonal 2-3x weekly flight to YVR is doable. A lot of people were skeptical YYC would work.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

dfdubflyer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:58 am

Solid upgauge. As a kid my family would fly to Toronto two or three times a year on AC and I remember those planes feeling so tiny when I was little. The 900s will be way more comfortable!

BNA has some decent capacity to YYZ these days between WestJet's double daily (?) flights and a double daily on AC.

Fargo

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:23 pm

Very interesting stuff in this presentation regarding the updating of the BNA Master Plan.

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Documents/Feb%2014%202019%20CAC%20Meeting.pdf

They have some terminal concepts from slides 29-35. They assume they'll need up to 61 gates by 2037, options include rebuilding/expanding A, expanding B, expanding C, expanding the not yet opened D or some combination thereof. IMO, I think Alternative 2 is the best.

Also, BNA is looking to extend one of the runways to 12,000 feet to accommodate long range aircraft.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

There are probably no entertainment connections.

Yup. Both YYC and YYZ are heavily Canada-originating. For one thing, the bizarre bachelor and bachelorette party obsession with Nashville appears to have spread to Canada. I was on a Friday night AC YYZ-BNA in the fall that was probably two thirds party attendees, and those flights are not cheap.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

southwest1675

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Fargo wrote:
Very interesting stuff in this presentation regarding the updating of the BNA Master Plan.

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Documents/Feb%2014%202019%20CAC%20Meeting.pdf

They have some terminal concepts from slides 29-35. They assume they'll need up to 61 gates by 2037, options include rebuilding/expanding A, expanding B, expanding C, expanding the not yet opened D or some combination thereof. IMO, I think Alternative 2 is the best.

Also, BNA is looking to extend one of the runways to 12,000 feet to accommodate long range aircraft.

For those of us stating Nashville should have more gates post BNA Vision, it looks like the MNAA has that in mind too. I'd go with alternative 2 as well. WN deciding on what the long term plans for Nashville are will be a factor. I also see the 5th runway proposal is still up in the air after all these years. Never know, might need it someday.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

For those of us stating Nashville should have more gates post BNA Vision, it looks like the MNAA has that in mind too. I'd go with alternative 2 as well. WN deciding on what the long term plans for Nashville are will be a factor. I also see the 5th runway proposal is still up in the air after all these years. Never know, might need it someday.

Not sure why they didn't incorporate the 3 gate expansion to D proposed in there to the D construction in BNA Vision, they really could use those extra three gates while the construction is going on.

I like that A is proposed to be completely replaced with an L-shaped layout. Perhaps UA could put a United Club in there or DL could put a bigger Sky Club in.

A more imminent priority is extending at least one of the N/S runways to 12,000 feet, but if you ask me, both should be extended and the crosswind should be removed to accommodate further terminal expansion if needed.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Fargo wrote:
A more imminent priority is extending at least one of the N/S runways to 12,000 feet, but if you ask me, both should be extended and the crosswind should be removed to accommodate further terminal expansion if needed.

We do occasionally need the crosswind runway, especially when the remnants of a hurricane blow through. It’s a big mess operationally because the airport has grown enough that a single runway is insufficient. Holding and goarounds are common in the 31 configuration.

Fargo

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:

We do occasionally need the crosswind runway, especially when the remnants of a hurricane blow through. It’s a big mess operationally because the airport has grown enough that a single runway is insufficient. Holding and goarounds are common in the 31 configuration.

Could you explain a bit further? There are plenty of airports in the SE region that don’t have crosswind runways and they do fine.

Also, what do you mean by a single runway is inefficient? Do you mean a single crosswind runway, or a single runway that is over 10,000 feet?

southwest1675

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 pm

In regards to WN's ATL flights, on average 3 of the 5 leave full.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 am

Fargo wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Could you explain a bit further? There are plenty of airports in the SE region that don’t have crosswind runways and they do fine.

Also, what do you mean by a single runway is inefficient? Do you mean a single crosswind runway, or a single runway that is over 10,000 feet?

Remember that winds are very local. ATL is fine without crosswind runways. We aren’t. A single crosswind runway causes problems. When Harvey blew through (Friday night of Labor Day weekend 2017), winds were something like 330 at 25 gusting to 35. That requires using 31.

Fargo

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Remember that winds are very local. ATL is fine without crosswind runways. We aren’t. A single crosswind runway causes problems. When Harvey blew through (Friday night of Labor Day weekend 2017), winds were something like 330 at 25 gusting to 35. That requires using 31.

I understand winds are local, but what makes the Nashville/Middle Tennessee region so special in regards to wind compared to say, the Atlanta region and the Charlotte region (CLT will be removing their crosswind runway in the not too distant future) or even in-state rivals like MEM which has no crosswind runways? You’d think since BNA is more inland than ATL/CLT that wind factors wouldn’t be as big of a deal.

pdt2f

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 am

southwest1675 wrote:

Is that just a way of saying that the route has a ~60% LF (ie. 3 full, 2 empty) or is it that 3 of 5 are typically full and the other two are typically less than full?
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

Jshank83

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 am

pdt2f wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Is that just a way of saying that the route has a ~60% LF (ie. 3 full, 2 empty) or is it that 3 of 5 are typically full and the other two are typically less than full?

Outgoing load factors for BNA-ATL on WN

August 55%
September 56%
October 62%
November 65%

southwest1675

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 am

pdt2f wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The 3 of the 5 are full. 2 of them will have 100 open seats or so. It’s pretty much like that everyday. The flights to BNA tend to do better than the ones leaving BNA if that makes any sense.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

EvanWSFO

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Not sure why they didn't incorporate the 3 gate expansion to D proposed in there to the D construction in BNA Vision, they really could use those extra three gates while the construction is going on.

I like that A is proposed to be completely replaced with an L-shaped layout. Perhaps UA could put a United Club in there or DL could put a bigger Sky Club in.

I think when conceived and plans finalized for BNA Vision, MNAA didn't expect the traffic numbers BNA is seeing. Looks like 61-ish gates is all the current terminal can make with expansion. If they were building it now, it'd be full by completion.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Fargo

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:55 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I think when conceived and plans finalized for BNA Vision, MNAA didn't expect the traffic numbers BNA is seeing. Looks like 61-ish gates is all the current terminal can make with expansion. If they were building it now, it'd be full by completion.

I personally think it was short-sighted to expand the terminal in its current layout rather than building a whole new one either in place or on the south side of the airfield off Murfreesboro Pike. But then again, what do I know?

southwest1675

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 am

Fargo wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I personally think it was short-sighted to expand the terminal in its current layout rather than building a whole new one either in place or on the south side of the airfield off Murfreesboro Pike. But then again, what do I know?

I was able to talk to an MNAA board member, and the idea of a new terminal was heavily looked into. It was gonna go in that big plot of land East of runway 2R. It was scrapped, and BNA Vision was planned.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

EvanWSFO

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 pm

Fargo wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:

It's going to be a challenge wherever a second terminal goes. Fill in the quarry to the east or move TNANG and FBO's to the south.

Fargo

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:37 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

I was able to talk to an MNAA board member, and the idea of a new terminal was heavily looked into. It was gonna go in that big plot of land East of runway 2R. It was scrapped, and BNA Vision was planned.

And I frankly don’t understand that. They could’ve built a much more efficient design had they gone the route of building a completely new terminal. The current design is limiting as far as expansion goes.

SumChristianus

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:22 am

Not big news for most carriers but for UA in June they have 3x daily mainline each to IAD/IAH/SFO, 4x to EWR and a daily to ORD

Nowhere near comparable to DL but something...
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-ATL-DEN: WN 73G/738
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

pdt2f

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:09 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Not big news for most carriers but for UA in June they have 3x daily mainline each to IAD/IAH/SFO, 4x to EWR and a daily to ORD

Nowhere near comparable to DL but something...

It’s good to see them expanding. Wow, we’ll have 4 dailies to SFO this summer, plus 1x each to OAK and SJC. Pretty good Bay Area access, especially considering it’s all growth from the past 4 years or so.
An interesting question would be if these SFO flights fill up, would UA increase transcon capacity for the next summer by adding a 4th SFO flight, adding LAX, or increasing DEN capacity?
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

gsg013

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Why would you remove the cross wind runway? What would BNA do if the wind was coming heavy from either the East or West? I think that is a bit short sighted.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:20 am

It's crazy to see how different things in the market are today. 5-6 years ago, there was no service to the Bay Area or Boston. As far as Southwest goes, I continually hear rumors that WN will build the station. I've said it a million times before, but I think what they wanna do with ATL is gonna be a factor on what they have planned for BNA. I'm no airline expert, but I feel like having large ops in STL, BNA, and ATL isn't too feasible.One would have to be scaled back.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 am

gsg013 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Why would you remove the cross wind runway? What would BNA do if the wind was coming heavy from either the East or West? I think that is a bit short sighted.

A. One of the long term proposals in the link I stated above proposes the crosswind runway be removed in favor of a south terminal

B. ATL, CLT, RDU, MEM, TYS, etc, all get by without crosswind runways (CLT will be removing their's in the not too distant future)

C. How often is the wind really that bad that a plane cannot land on one of the N/S runways? Is there a special wind shear or something in Middle Tennessee that doesn't exist at the other airports I mentioned that requires BNA to have a crosswind runway?

runner13

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:19 am

Whenever a strong cold front comes through in the winter time our winds can be out of the northwest really strong at times. Usually [email protected] gusting to 35+. Is it a daily thing? No, but it is nice to have it. We usually wait until there are a couple of go-arounds before going to a straight 31 operation. It is very inefficient and we take massive delays while running a 30+ mile final so tower can have gaps to get departing traffic out.

AviationGeek78

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm

There is a BNA master plan update: Public Information Meeting & Open House Tues Mar 5 @ 1700. They created a facebook event for it. I plan to attend.

Cubsrule

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:20 pm

Fargo wrote:
gsg013 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

A. One of the long term proposals in the link I stated above proposes the crosswind runway be removed in favor of a south terminal

B. ATL, CLT, RDU, MEM, TYS, etc, all get by without crosswind runways (CLT will be removing their's in the not too distant future)

C. How often is the wind really that bad that a plane cannot land on one of the N/S runways? Is there a special wind shear or something in Middle Tennessee that doesn't exist at the other airports I mentioned that requires BNA to have a crosswind runway?

MEM has a crosswind runway, and they use it regularly (probably more than we use 13/31). The weather the other places is different. In particular, they don't get tropical systems blowing up off the west Gulf, which is, with winter storms, one of the two scenarios that leads to nasty crosswinds. And I can't think of a winter event in Charlotte while I lived there that had bad west winds.

FA9295

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Fargo wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

If they can only make BNA-SEA work on Sat/Sun only during the summer season (even with competition from both AS and DL). I don't see how they could make BNA-PDX work at all.

EvanWSFO

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

If they can only make BNA-SEA work on Sat/Sun only during the summer season (even with competition from both AS and DL). I don't see how they could make BNA-PDX work at all.

When did SEA go 2x weekly on WN? I didn't hear about that one.

FA9295

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:06 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... new-places

The carrier also announced the return of popular seasonal routes from Nashville including weekend service between:
Nashville and Norfolk, Va. (Previously operated in 2014)
Nashville and Seattle (Previously operated in Sept. 2018)

EvanWSFO

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 pm

FA9295 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... new-places

The carrier also announced the return of popular seasonal routes from Nashville including weekend service between:
Nashville and Norfolk, Va. (Previously operated in 2014)
Nashville and Seattle (Previously operated in Sept. 2018)

Thanks for the FYI.

Lexy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:14 pm

A new terminal will likely go east of 20L-2R inbetween that runway and the "new" planned runway east of Donelson Pike. The FBO's and other "things" will go away and be moved to either a new part of the field or John Tune. The crosswind will be removed. This has been the rumor for years. Time will tell.

Bottomline is this, the airport was lazy in making and implementing future plans to the current facility. The fact AA controlled all of C up until a couple years ago was also a HUGE hinderance. Some things have GOT to change and change fast. Namely, getting the ramp under control again. If not, someone is going to die out there and then they'll have an even bigger issue to deal with.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

EvanWSFO

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:15 pm

I see on ATW Online this afternoon that the two AC flights to YYZ are being changed to E75s instead of CR9s as originally reported.

jplatts

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:44 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

WN currently serves LAX, BUR, and ONT nonstop from PDX but not from SEA. There is also more demand for WN service out of PDX than there is out of SEA. While AS has a hub at PDX, none of the US3 carriers have a hub at PDX, and AS's PDX hub is much smaller than its main SEA hub.

There are some destinations in the Southeast that currently have nonstop service out of SEA but not out of PDX, including CHS, FLL, MIA, RDU, and TPA.

In the December 2017 through November 2018 time period, WN carried 3,494,000 domestic passengers out of PDX compared to 3,141,000 domestic passengers out of SEA.

WN might be able to make daily BNA-PDX nonstop service work on at least a seasonal basis since (a) there is more demand for WN service out of PDX than there is out of SEA, (b) none of the US3 carriers have a hub at PDX, and (c) more connecting opportunities to Southeastern destinations that aren't currently served nonstop from PDX would be there if WN adds PDX-BNA nonstop service.

Fargo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 am

FA9295 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

BNA-SEA is a primairly AS/DL route. PDX only has seasonal SY. I’m sure WN could make PDX work from BNA.

Fargo

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:17 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:
gsg013 wrote:

MEM has a crosswind runway, and they use it regularly (probably more than we use 13/31). The weather the other places is different. In particular, they don't get tropical systems blowing up off the west Gulf, which is, with winter storms, one of the two scenarios that leads to nasty crosswinds. And I can't think of a winter event in Charlotte while I lived there that had bad west winds.

And somehow, BNA can get winds from the tropical systems blowing off the west Gulf, but not ATL? I find that hard to believe.

Actually, what about the winds off the Atlantic in CLT/RDU, particularly with hurricanes/tropical storms?

HeyHey

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 pm

January data for passengers is out. A total of 1,177,503 passenegers travelled through BNA for the month. That compares to 1,016,892 last year, which is YoY growth of 15.8%.

It’s crazy to think but 18,000,000 may very well be attainable for 2019. If growth averages 12.5% this year compared to 2018 then we will hit that 18,000,000 number. The fiscal year (last 7 months) shows passenger volume up 14.7%, so it is very possible (and maybe likely).

Bluegrass60

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Does anyone care that LF continues dropping....?

southwest1675

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Just wait till the additional WN service starts this summer. I assume it’ll give a solid numbers boost.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Lexy

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Does anyone care that LF continues dropping....?

No, this isn't a historically strong travel time outside of Spring Break. How's that subsidized LAX flight doing?
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos