Fargo

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:59 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
I just left my company's travel trade show and Delta was present. As I was speaking to the Delta reps their jaws dropped....I told them that I heard that the Delta lounge at BNA is being increased by 10,000 sq ft and that it was bigger than Indy's and Raleigh's which is a focus city (they were very surprised I knew that Raleigh was a focus city, but I thought it was public info.) Then I proceeded to tell them that I heard that BNA is getting TATL service...they automatically asked me who I knew inside of Delta. I let them think that I had a contact inside of Delta, but actually all of the information I dropped on them was off of this website, haha.

The reps confirmed with me, the lounge is getting increased by 10,000 sq ft, outward and upward. They also confirmed that Raleigh, Austin, and now Nashville officially are considered DL focus cities. The growth for DL at BNA has been 18% YOY. BNA is getting TATL service, either to CDG or AMS in the near future. They gave me a route map that states that DL flies to more cities than any other (legacy) airline from BNA, and has seasonal service to MCO.

I asked them about matching my AS status, and the rep gave me her business card and asked me to e-mail her and she will grant me complimentary Gold status. I've never had status with Delta so this will definitely get me to move my flying and $$ to Delta from now on.

What? A focus city here? I think WN will have something to say about that.

Where are they going to launch flights to?

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
As I was speaking to the Delta reps their jaws dropped....I told them that I heard that the Delta lounge at BNA is being increased by 10,000 sq ft and that it was bigger than Indy's and Raleigh's which is a focus city (they were very surprised I knew that Raleigh was a focus city, but I thought it was public info.)

RDU has been considered a Delta focus city--very publicly--for a while now.

gsg013

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:
BNA has an even tighter footprint than RDU/IND, I am struggling to see where this expansion will go. I still think 10,000 SF is an awful lot for an outstation, it would be interesting to hear DL's reasoning for this.

What are you basing this off of?

From what I am hearing locally the new SC will be either on 2 floors or will be upstairs where there is a lot of space nothing else up there.

dafunk10

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Yeah but DL is only growing 18% year over year because of connecting WN passengers not O&D

Kidding aside, I’m not sure how they could be surprised about people assuming TATL service and/or focus city designation once they put that sign up

gsg013

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm

dafunk10 wrote:
Yeah but DL is only growing 18% year over year because of connecting WN passengers not O&D

Kidding aside, I’m not sure how they could be surprised about people assuming TATL service and/or focus city designation once they put that sign up

Met with a member of the chamber of commerce in Nashville late last week, who was instrumental in bringing the BNA-LHR flight with BA. She dropped a lot of hints that a different US airline would be starting Transatlantic to either CDG or AMS in the not too distant future... She wouldn't say who the airline was but it was very much implied that it is DL. (I'm thinking 767-300ER to start or maybe 764).

CLJFlyer

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 pm

I sent an email to the rep to confirm complimentary Gold Medallion status and asked about SEA (to which I fly a lot), whether they're thinking about adding double daily or upgauging...this was the response:

"As far as upgauging and frequency, I can’t comment specifically but Delta has invested heavily in BNA and continues to place an emphasis on Nashville. Things change often so keep your eyes peeled! "

Based on this persons email signature, they are pretty high up on the Delta ladder.

Fargo

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:55 pm

I still wouldn’t expect CDG or AMS this year, I’d look for it in 2020 or 2021 to coincide with the expanded Club.

winginit

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Fargo wrote:
I still wouldn’t expect CDG or AMS this year, I’d look for it in 2020 or 2021 to coincide with the expanded Club.

I think that's a good theory.

Jshank83

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:59 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
I sent an email to the rep to confirm complimentary Gold Medallion status and asked about SEA (to which I fly a lot), whether they're thinking about adding double daily or upgauging...this was the response:

"As far as upgauging and frequency, I can’t comment specifically but Delta has invested heavily in BNA and continues to place an emphasis on Nashville. Things change often so keep your eyes peeled! "

Based on this persons email signature, they are pretty high up on the Delta ladder.

That’s a pretty canned line you see as a lot of replies from airlines. All the other stuff you mentioned before seemed promising though.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm

As mentioned before, B7 has a 763 line. Wonder if we could see potential DL TATL service sooner than we think. Sounds like Delta is quite interested in the market. I wish AA could say the same.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:58 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
As mentioned before, B7 has a 763 line. Wonder if we could see potential DL TATL service sooner than we think. Sounds like Delta is quite interested in the market. I wish AA could say the same.

UA missed an opportunity here if you ask me.

DL would need more gates if they want to do something like RDU here. I wonder if they plan to take over all of B at some point?

EvanWSFO

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:28 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

DL would need more gates if they want to do something like RDU here. I wonder if they plan to take over all of B at some point?

How many gates will B have once the IAB is opened? I could see it if they got all the other tenants moved to an expanded A.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Fargo

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:45 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

How many gates will B have once the IAB is opened? I could see it if they got all the other tenants moved to an expanded A.

B will have 10 overall when the IAB opens. The next master plan for post BNA Vision calls for widening B to increase hold room space (why they aren’t doing this coinciding with the IAB construction is baffling to me). When that happens, an 11th gate might be added. The master plan also calls for the demolition and reconstruction of A with 16 overall gates (9 new ones).

With this layout in mind, I could see the future carrier layout looking like this.

A: UA and all other carriers
B: DL
C: WN/AA
D: WN
T (IAB): common use international that will be used by WN/AA/DL when not being used for international ops.

EvanWSFO

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Fargo wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:

B will have 10 overall when the IAB opens. The next master plan for post BNA Vision calls for widening B to increase hold room space (why they aren’t doing this coinciding with the IAB construction is baffling to me). When that happens, an 11th gate might be added. The master plan also calls for the demolition and reconstruction of A with 16 overall gates (9 new ones).

With this layout in mind, I could see the future carrier layout looking like this.

A: UA and all other carriers
B: DL
C: WN/AA
D: WN
T (IAB): common use international that will be used by WN/AA/DL when not being used for international ops.

Thanks. Makes sense. I agree with the widening of B done separately. I think the growth really caught MNAA by surprise, thus another master plan right behind the Vision plan..
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

southwest1675

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:03 pm

I’ve heard some people boasting 18 million PAX in 2019. We’ll see. BNA’s historically slower months have seen huge growth.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:33 pm

I know that back in the day DL would park a 767 on B3. Every now and then they would sub a 767 for their normal 757 flights off of that gate and never had any problems even with a 727 parked on B5.
Almost positive that I've seen 767 charters parked on B5 in the past too.
When ATL's WX would get bad, they would get L1011 diversions and always park them on B7.

Fargo

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I’ve heard some people boasting 18 million PAX in 2019. We’ll see. BNA’s historically slower months have seen huge growth.

The thing is, will the MAX groundings slow growth? Aren't some of the previously scheduled WN frequency increases delayed due to them?

southwest1675

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 am

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The thing is, will the MAX groundings slow growth? Aren't some of the previously scheduled WN frequency increases delayed due to them?

I believe BNA lost 2-3 frequencies in the summer. They’re still expected to have 138 daily departures come October.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:39 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I believe BNA lost 2-3 frequencies in the summer. They’re still expected to have 138 daily departures come October.

5 mon-fri flights were removed due to the MAX groundings.

BNA-ATL/SAT/MCI/LAX/LAS down 1x each from the original schedule.

I think they are still up 18 weekday flights from last year in June though if my numbers are right. I had 101 for June last year, still 119 this year.

Inbound are different than outbound, ie STL-BNA is down a flight but they kept the 4th BNA-STL.

October is 138 departures on Sunday only. It is 124 monday-friday

southwest1675

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 am

Jshank83 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I think they are still up 18 weekday flights from last year in June though if my numbers are right. I had 101 for June last year, still 119 this year.

Inbound are different than outbound, ie STL-BNA is down a flight but they kept the 4th BNA-STL.

It’s gonna be a weird summer.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:02 am

Jshank83 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I’m sure the cut frequencies will be added back as soon as the MAX issues are resolved.

EvanWSFO

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Fargo wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I’m sure the cut frequencies will be added back as soon as the MAX issues are resolved.

I'll be curious how the construction will affect ops. Building of D probably won't, but there's going to have to be some squeezing of service once the IAB construction takes out gates on B and C.

On a different not, MNAA's advisory bulletin today anticipates 29,800 pax on Sunday and 30,500 on Monday. Those would be record days.

Fargo

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:51 am

Some interesting tidbits from the Nashville business journal and the Williamson Herald.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/26/1-2b-is-just-a-start-airport-ceo-details-even.html (behind paywall)

http://www.williamsonherald.com/news/nashville-s-bna-expansion-to-benefit-williamson-county/article_21c7d02a-66e3-11e9-ad18-0f9f2374e722.html

A. It appears the airport is planning a BNA Vision Phase 2, to start in 2024. The main components will be the reconstruction and expansion of Concourse A to add gates and extending runway 2L to better handle widebody international flights to Asia. This tells me there probably won't be Asia service until the runway is extended

B. A second terminal with 20-30 gates is on the horizon for the 2030's as the current facility will be maxed out after A is expanded. The facilities could be connected via an APM.

C. Doug Kreulen stated this in the Williamson Herald article, We have a couple more announcements hopefully in the next month or so.

maps4ltd

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:17 am

CLJFlyer wrote:
I just left my company's travel trade show and Delta was present. As I was speaking to the Delta reps their jaws dropped....I told them that I heard that the Delta lounge at BNA is being increased by 10,000 sq ft and that it was bigger than Indy's and Raleigh's which is a focus city (they were very surprised I knew that Raleigh was a focus city, but I thought it was public info.) Then I proceeded to tell them that I heard that BNA is getting TATL service...they automatically asked me who I knew inside of Delta. I let them think that I had a contact inside of Delta, but actually all of the information I dropped on them was off of this website, haha.

The reps confirmed with me, the lounge is getting increased by 10,000 sq ft, outward and upward. They also confirmed that Raleigh, Austin, and now Nashville officially are considered DL focus cities. The growth for DL at BNA has been 18% YOY. BNA is getting TATL service, either to CDG or AMS in the near future. They gave me a route map that states that DL flies to more cities than any other (legacy) airline from BNA, and has seasonal service to MCO.

I asked them about matching my AS status, and the rep gave me her business card and asked me to e-mail her and she will grant me complimentary Gold status. I've never had status with Delta so this will definitely get me to move my flying and $$ to Delta from now on.

The difference between Raleigh and Austin is striking; RDU is a full-fledged focus city, with 28 DL destinations (30 when ORD and MSY are added on 8 June). AUS, however, gets hubs/focus cities only; 10 destinations total. A complete spoke.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

southwest1675

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:45 am

Fargo wrote:
Some interesting tidbits from the Nashville business journal and the Williamson Herald.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/26/1-2b-is-just-a-start-airport-ceo-details-even.html (behind paywall)

http://www.williamsonherald.com/news/nashville-s-bna-expansion-to-benefit-williamson-county/article_21c7d02a-66e3-11e9-ad18-0f9f2374e722.html

A. It appears the airport is planning a BNA Vision Phase 2, to start in 2024. The main components will be the reconstruction and expansion of Concourse A to add gates and extending runway 2L to better handle widebody international flights to Asia. This tells me there probably won't be Asia service until the runway is extended

B. A second terminal with 20-30 gates is on the horizon for the 2030's as the current facility will be maxed out after A is expanded. The facilities could be connected via an APM.

C. Doug Kreulen stated this in the Williamson Herald article, We have a couple more announcements hopefully in the next month or so.

I talked to Doug at the inaugural BA departure. Nice guy. He apparently lives in the neighborhood down the street from me. I saw him at my local Chick Fil A last year.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dfdubflyer
Topic Author

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:25 am

Lots of good detail from him on BA’s profitability figures!

southwest1675

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 am

With Vision II making A an assumed L shape, I expect WN to have the rest of C one day.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dafunk10

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:02 am

maps4ltd wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

The difference between Raleigh and Austin is striking; RDU is a full-fledged focus city, with 28 DL destinations (30 when ORD and MSY are added on 8 June). AUS, however, gets hubs/focus cities only; 10 destinations total. A complete spoke.

AUS as a FC and the related new destinations would have to wait until the 9 new gates DL is building at AUS to be operational, which I believe happens sometime this year.

In fact I’m not sure there’s been an official announcement of AUS becoming a focus city, just heavy rumors and reading of tea leaves.

Fargo

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:09 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
With Vision II making A an assumed L shape, I expect WN to have the rest of C one day.

I was thinking the same thing, but now I'm not so sure.

Would AA and the Admirals Club relocate to an expanded A? I would think UA would want a United Club at BNA at some point, could an expanded A accommodate both? Also, how many gates would AA/UA take on A?

antoniemey

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Would AA and the Admirals Club relocate to an expanded A? I would think UA would want a United Club at BNA at some point, could an expanded A accommodate both? Also, how many gates would AA/UA take on A?

More likely Southwest would take on the whole of a second terminal when built.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Fargo

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:07 pm

antoniemey wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

More likely Southwest would take on the whole of a second terminal when built.

Then who would expand at the existing terminal?

dc10lover

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:24 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

Look for Delta Air Lines to expand in AUS.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Fargo

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:01 pm

dc10lover wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

Yes, AUS will become at least as big as RDU eventually. When, I don’t know, but I have to imagine the first wave of expansion will be announced any time now.

EvanWSFO

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 pm

A ? someone who works at the airport likely knows (it may be in this thread but lots of posts to wade through). I had some time to kill yesterday morning so I went to the observation area off Vultee Dr. In the 45 minutes I sat there (between 10:00-10:45), I noticed 2L/20R did not get a single movement. 2C/20C was handing all the departures and 2R/20L. Are they working on that runway? I didn't see evidence of any.

runner13

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
A ? someone who works at the airport likely knows (it may be in this thread but lots of posts to wade through). I had some time to kill yesterday morning so I went to the observation area off Vultee Dr. In the 45 minutes I sat there (between 10:00-10:45), I noticed 2L/20R did not get a single movement. 2C/20C was handing all the departures and 2R/20L. Are they working on that runway? I didn't see evidence of any.

20R was closed for mowing yesterday.

southwest1675

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 pm

20L was closed this morning.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:04 pm

Fargo wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

Yes, AUS will become at least as big as RDU eventually. When, I don’t know, but I have to imagine the first wave of expansion will be announced any time now.

Not likely anytime soon. For geography reasons more than anything else.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

EvanWSFO

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 pm

runner13 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

20R was closed for mowing yesterday.

Ah ok. Thanks.

southwest1675

Fri May 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Looks like I’m a little late to the show, but I see AA is starting RDU-PHX. I wonder if AA will add Nashville from Phoenix. The Envoy ramp contract prevents growth for AA in BNA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AviationGeek78

Fri May 03, 2019 8:19 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Looks like I’m a little late to the show, but I see AA is starting RDU-PHX. I wonder if AA will add Nashville from Phoenix. The Envoy ramp contract prevents growth for AA in BNA.

How does the Envoy contract limit their growth? Asking out of curiosity cause I do not know who that is structured.

southwest1675

Fri May 03, 2019 10:49 pm

AviationGeek78 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

How does the Envoy contract limit their growth? Asking out of curiosity cause I do not know who that is structured.

I don’t remember the exact details, but when Envoy handles the ramp, they can only have a certain number of daily departures, and mainline flights.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

reednavy

Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm

I'd love to know when that contract is up and/or if American could terminate it because it's quite obvious it's hindering their growth.

Cubsrule

Sat May 04, 2019 8:17 pm

reednavy wrote:
I'd love to know when that contract is up and/or if American could terminate it because it's quite obvious it's hindering their growth.

Meh. AA has pretty much given up on outstation growth. PHX might be sensible but that’s about it in AA’s current model.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Lexy

Sat May 04, 2019 9:32 pm

AA isn’t going to do anymore than they absolutely have to here. Mainline will not come back BTW due to union contracts and other issues. DL will likely expand more here and talk of a TATL flight is all over the Ramp. Time will tell, but I seriously doubt WN really cares what DL does in the grand scheme of things here. Two different price points at play there.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Fargo

Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Lexy wrote:
AA isn’t going to do anymore than they absolutely have to here. Mainline will not come back BTW due to union contracts and other issues. DL will likely expand more here and talk of a TATL flight is all over the Ramp. Time will tell, but I seriously doubt WN really cares what DL does in the grand scheme of things here. Two different price points at play there.

Then I guess AA won’t be getting my business anymore. Still think DL expanding to a focus city would be pointless. A TATL flight would be nice though.

I personally would like to see more growth from UA and a United Club here, along with LH at some point. I wonder what is up with the lack of consistent mainline to DEN?

Lexy

Sat May 04, 2019 10:45 pm

It’s pointless to have one in RDU just as much as it is at BNA. They control the business contracts here and do well with front and back loads. The one thing we’ve got that RDU doesn’t, tourist. That makes it a bit more lucrative.

I actually ran into Oscar in Chicago and asked about a UA club. His statement was a lack of real estate here. The issue with mainline on DEN is repositioning SkyWest planes and crew.

Fargo

Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Lexy wrote:
It’s pointless to have one in RDU just as much as it is at BNA. They control the business contracts here and do well with front and back loads. The one thing we’ve got that RDU doesn’t, tourist. That makes it a bit more lucrative.

I actually ran into Oscar in Chicago and asked about a UA club. His statement was a lack of real estate here. The issue with mainline on DEN is repositioning SkyWest planes and crew.

RDU doesn't have a big WN station like BNA though, and RDU is a bit stronger on the business end, which is what focus cities are all about. I'd like to see DL launch AMS, but I don't feel they'd do as well if they try to launch as many p2p flights as RDU has. I feel BNA would serve well as a large spoke for DL with TATL service.

Perhaps when Concourse A is rebuilt and expanded we will see a United Club, they need one here. And seriously? What is up with these crew contracts/issues that is preventing BNA from getting regular or full UA/AA mainline to large hubs like ORD, DEN, DFW, CLT? RDU, AUS, IND, etc, don't seem to have this issue. That's really annoying.

Lexy

Sun May 05, 2019 6:41 am

I think once they add more gates you’ll see some crazy changes happening.

tphuang

Sun May 05, 2019 10:47 am

Delta sees that with WN adding BNA-ATL, it's really trying to grow BNA to maybe a 200 departure a day station. BNA from what I can is a very strong DL station due to its proximity to ATL. So this talk of turning BNA into a focus city is probably to counteract that.

saying WN doesn't care about what DL does is just nonsence. That will be like saying if DL makes AUS a focus city, WN wouldn't care. WN basically is throwing all its eggs on the east coast to BWI in the north and BNA in the south.

Fargo

Sun May 05, 2019 1:19 pm

tphuang wrote:
Delta sees that with WN adding BNA-ATL, it's really trying to grow BNA to maybe a 200 departure a day station. BNA from what I can is a very strong DL station due to its proximity to ATL. So this talk of turning BNA into a focus city is probably to counteract that.

saying WN doesn't care about what DL does is just nonsence. That will be like saying if DL makes AUS a focus city, WN wouldn't care. WN basically is throwing all its eggs on the east coast to BWI in the north and BNA in the south.

The key difference between BNA and AUS is WN is much larger at BNA and it is clear that WN has BNA as an important part of its future. It wouldn’t surprise me if WN intends to make BNA among their top stations down the road. DL will get killed yield wise here and it wouldn’t serve any strategic purpose for them.

AUS on the other hand is a more fragmented market that is surrounded by large stations like DAL and HOU. WN, while the largest at AUS, is not the majority, and with the amount of gates they will have access to, DL will be able to give WN a run for their money within a few years if they start expanding soon. Any attempt to defend market share would divert resources away from those said stations and even SAT to an extent. Indeed, if DL expands in AUS (which I believe will happen), it will be a bloodbath for a while as WN will attempt to defend their turf, but I don’t think they will have as easy of a time as what might appear at first glance (and yes, I’m taking into consideration the fact that WN has some of its most profitable routes out of AUS).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos