DakotaFlyer
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:14 pm

About regional transit: Look at the Twin Cities with a large core population and suburbs. They have a light rail that crosses the entire region, commuter rail from just outside St. Cloud and a regional bus system. It isn't perfect but certainly serves the region well.

A good starting point would be some type of agreement between Rover in Murfreesboro and MTA
 
DakotaFlyer
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:55 am

Also, cool video from the opening. Part of me thinks the brown signage was up until maybe a couple years ago.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Also, cool video from the opening. Part of me thinks the brown signage was up until maybe a couple years ago.


Brown signage is still there lol. Airport has had some minor updates and renovations over the years, but the signs are definitely original. The signs still show gate C1, a gate that was removed in the late 90s.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:43 am

southwest1675 wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
Also, cool video from the opening. Part of me thinks the brown signage was up until maybe a couple years ago.


Brown signage is still there lol. Airport has had some minor updates and renovations over the years, but the signs are definitely original. The signs still show gate C1, a gate that was removed in the late 90s.


Probably won't be around too much longer. I'm pretty sure the astectics will be updated once the major work starts next year.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:47 am

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
Also, cool video from the opening. Part of me thinks the brown signage was up until maybe a couple years ago.


Brown signage is still there lol. Airport has had some minor updates and renovations over the years, but the signs are definitely original. The signs still show gate C1, a gate that was removed in the late 90s.


Probably won't be around too much longer. I'm pretty sure the astectics will be updated once the major work starts next year.


The current facilities are supposed to be remodeled to match the rest of the new airport. New floors, signage, interior/exterior paint, and glass/window replacement were on the agenda according to one of the workers I talked to regarding BNA Vision. CLT's newly remodeled A Concourse looks much better than it once was.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Brown signage is still there lol. Airport has had some minor updates and renovations over the years, but the signs are definitely original. The signs still show gate C1, a gate that was removed in the late 90s.


Probably won't be around too much longer. I'm pretty sure the astectics will be updated once the major work starts next year.


The current facilities are supposed to be remodeled to match the rest of the new airport. New floors, signage, interior/exterior paint, and glass/window replacement were on the agenda according to one of the workers I talked to regarding BNA Vision. CLT's newly remodeled A Concourse looks much better than it once was.


I wouldn't do much to A though, considering it will likely be torn down and replaced within the next decade.

Are they still planning to widen B to increase hold room space or did that get abandoned? It looks like from the presentation I posted the other day that it will not be a thing moving forward. And frankly, I don't think it's even necessary, considering the new D will be similar in length. Just refresh the astectics in B and move on.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 am

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Probably won't be around too much longer. I'm pretty sure the astectics will be updated once the major work starts next year.


The current facilities are supposed to be remodeled to match the rest of the new airport. New floors, signage, interior/exterior paint, and glass/window replacement were on the agenda according to one of the workers I talked to regarding BNA Vision. CLT's newly remodeled A Concourse looks much better than it once was.


I wouldn't do much to A though, considering it will likely be torn down and replaced within the next decade.

Are they still planning to widen B to increase hold room space or did that get abandoned? It looks like from the presentation I posted the other day that it will not be a thing moving forward. And frankly, I don't think it's even necessary, considering the new D will be similar in length. Just refresh the astectics in B and move on.


They dropped the expansion plans for B. The new A concourse will take care of any issues the current B concourse has to the MNAA. Concourse B is really hoppin during peak times. I remember when it wasn't even that long ago when it was a ghost town for just Delta passengers. Now, I can barely walk through there most of the time.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The current facilities are supposed to be remodeled to match the rest of the new airport. New floors, signage, interior/exterior paint, and glass/window replacement were on the agenda according to one of the workers I talked to regarding BNA Vision. CLT's newly remodeled A Concourse looks much better than it once was.


I wouldn't do much to A though, considering it will likely be torn down and replaced within the next decade.

Are they still planning to widen B to increase hold room space or did that get abandoned? It looks like from the presentation I posted the other day that it will not be a thing moving forward. And frankly, I don't think it's even necessary, considering the new D will be similar in length. Just refresh the astectics in B and move on.


They dropped the expansion plans for B. The new A concourse will take care of any issues the current B concourse has to the MNAA. Concourse B is really hoppin during peak times. I remember when it wasn't even that long ago when it was a ghost town for just Delta passengers. Now, I can barely walk through there most of the time.


Good. Widening B would be a waste of money for little to no benefit, it really isn’t that bad right now. I have never felt an issue moving through the concourse. Rebuilding A needs to be a top priority as soon as the current work is completed.
 
ilovelamp
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:52 am

Is Southwest or MNAA planning on a functioning ramp tower once D con is done? That’s a recipe for congestion if there every was one...unless the ramp is wide enough to allow concurrent in and out flow?


ILL
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:26 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Is Southwest or MNAA planning on a functioning ramp tower once D con is done? That’s a recipe for congestion if there every was one...unless the ramp is wide enough to allow concurrent in and out flow?


ILL


The old AA ramp tower was offices for the MNAA. They’ve moved out, and it looks like it’ll be coming back in use sometime soon. A controlled ramp is needed. From a crowded WN operation, to taxiway closures, it can get hectic out there surprisingly.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Is Southwest or MNAA planning on a functioning ramp tower once D con is done? That’s a recipe for congestion if there every was one...unless the ramp is wide enough to allow concurrent in and out flow?


ILL


The old AA ramp tower was offices for the MNAA. They’ve moved out, and it looks like it’ll be coming back in use sometime soon. A controlled ramp is needed. From a crowded WN operation, to taxiway closures, it can get hectic out there surprisingly.


When D is built out, I expect the ramp area between it and C to be cozy. Loved the video of the opening of the terminal. I didn't live here then but flew back frequently. It made the old terminal seem so antiquated, with the ground level boarding bridges.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:02 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Is Southwest or MNAA planning on a functioning ramp tower once D con is done? That’s a recipe for congestion if there every was one...unless the ramp is wide enough to allow concurrent in and out flow?


ILL


The old AA ramp tower was offices for the MNAA. They’ve moved out, and it looks like it’ll be coming back in use sometime soon. A controlled ramp is needed. From a crowded WN operation, to taxiway closures, it can get hectic out there surprisingly.


When D is built out, I expect the ramp area between it and C to be cozy. Loved the video of the opening of the terminal. I didn't live here then but flew back frequently. It made the old terminal seem so antiquated, with the ground level boarding bridges.


It held the title of “state of the art” for a good 20 years. Contrary to some others, I actually think it’s a good design and layout. When the current terminal opened, it was one of the first airports that didn’t make connecting pax in other concourses be screened again. BNA Vision with a new A Concourse will suit the needs of this fast growing airport.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:20 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The old AA ramp tower was offices for the MNAA. They’ve moved out, and it looks like it’ll be coming back in use sometime soon. A controlled ramp is needed. From a crowded WN operation, to taxiway closures, it can get hectic out there surprisingly.


When D is built out, I expect the ramp area between it and C to be cozy. Loved the video of the opening of the terminal. I didn't live here then but flew back frequently. It made the old terminal seem so antiquated, with the ground level boarding bridges.


It held the title of “state of the art” for a good 20 years. Contrary to some others, I actually think it’s a good design and layout. When the current terminal opened, it was one of the first airports that didn’t make connecting pax in other concourses be screened again. BNA Vision with a new A Concourse will suit the needs of this fast growing airport.


The terminal not by any means bad, and I think it’s aged fairly well, but it’s not as flexible expansion-wise. They are doing the absolute best they can, but it’s going to be very disruptive when they do things like build the IAB and rebuild A. A pier layout they could simply telescope in either direction and then build a satellite, which would be easier from an operational standpoint.

Furthermore, as EvanWSFO pointed out, C and D are sub-optimally laid out for aircraft movement purposes. However, as it will be all WN in that area, it shouldn’t be a huge issue.

It will be interesting to see how they design a second terminal when the time comes.
 
InopGauge
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:48 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
https://youtu.be/ibiQEU_78-0 Here’s an old WSMV story from 1987 showing the opening day of the current terminal.


Awesome! Thanks for the link.

While I didn't get to work the first departure from the new terminal, I did get the pleasure of working the first arrival under its own power. It was a United 727 from TYS-BNA-ORD. They also had another arrival about 30 minutes later, a 737-200 from HSV-BNA DEN.

The night before the new terminal opened, they closed the airport around midnight and all the supplies were pulled across the runways and taxiways to the new terminal. The last arrivals at the old terminal were towed across the field to the new terminal. The rule about no more than 3 baggage carts hooked to a tug went out the window that night. There were even belt loaders stacked full of supplies heading to the new terminal.

I arrived at the new terminal about 4 a.m. that September morning and worked an 18-hour shift that day. The station manager said to give everybody all the overtime they wanted to get used to the new terminal. I spent a lot of time training people how to enter flight information into the new baggage claim system and training on the hydrant system at the new airport. At the old you used to have to keep a running total of how much fuel you had on your back because there was not an endless supply coming out of the ground. Everything was so different from the old terminal.

Hard to believe that Southwest used to only operate two or three gates out of the end of the A concourse. I think they could only use 3 gates when Florida Express did not have a flight parked at the very end of A. Good times!
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 pm

InopGauge wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
https://youtu.be/ibiQEU_78-0 Here’s an old WSMV story from 1987 showing the opening day of the current terminal.


Awesome! Thanks for the link.

While I didn't get to work the first departure from the new terminal, I did get the pleasure of working the first arrival under its own power. It was a United 727 from TYS-BNA-ORD. They also had another arrival about 30 minutes later, a 737-200 from HSV-BNA DEN.

The night before the new terminal opened, they closed the airport around midnight and all the supplies were pulled across the runways and taxiways to the new terminal. The last arrivals at the old terminal were towed across the field to the new terminal. The rule about no more than 3 baggage carts hooked to a tug went out the window that night. There were even belt loaders stacked full of supplies heading to the new terminal.

I arrived at the new terminal about 4 a.m. that September morning and worked an 18-hour shift that day. The station manager said to give everybody all the overtime they wanted to get used to the new terminal. I spent a lot of time training people how to enter flight information into the new baggage claim system and training on the hydrant system at the new airport. At the old you used to have to keep a running total of how much fuel you had on your back because there was not an endless supply coming out of the ground. Everything was so different from the old terminal.

Hard to believe that Southwest used to only operate two or three gates out of the end of the A concourse. I think they could only use 3 gates when Florida Express did not have a flight parked at the very end of A. Good times!


I believe WN used A7 and A8. The old terminal was demolished in April 1990 to my understanding.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
https://youtu.be/ibiQEU_78-0 Here’s an old WSMV story from 1987 showing the opening day of the current terminal.


Awesome! Thanks for the link.

While I didn't get to work the first departure from the new terminal, I did get the pleasure of working the first arrival under its own power. It was a United 727 from TYS-BNA-ORD. They also had another arrival about 30 minutes later, a 737-200 from HSV-BNA DEN.

The night before the new terminal opened, they closed the airport around midnight and all the supplies were pulled across the runways and taxiways to the new terminal. The last arrivals at the old terminal were towed across the field to the new terminal. The rule about no more than 3 baggage carts hooked to a tug went out the window that night. There were even belt loaders stacked full of supplies heading to the new terminal.

I arrived at the new terminal about 4 a.m. that September morning and worked an 18-hour shift that day. The station manager said to give everybody all the overtime they wanted to get used to the new terminal. I spent a lot of time training people how to enter flight information into the new baggage claim system and training on the hydrant system at the new airport. At the old you used to have to keep a running total of how much fuel you had on your back because there was not an endless supply coming out of the ground. Everything was so different from the old terminal.

Hard to believe that Southwest used to only operate two or three gates out of the end of the A concourse. I think they could only use 3 gates when Florida Express did not have a flight parked at the very end of A. Good times!


I believe WN used A7 and A8. The old terminal was demolished in April 1990 to my understanding.


I flew WN DAL-HOU-BNA and back when they were on A. They had like 24 departures back then.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

While I didn't get to work the first departure from the new terminal, I did get the pleasure of working the first arrival under its own power. It was a United 727 from TYS-BNA-ORD. They also had another arrival about 30 minutes later, a 737-200 from HSV-BNA DEN.

The night before the new terminal opened, they closed the airport around midnight and all the supplies were pulled across the runways and taxiways to the new terminal. The last arrivals at the old terminal were towed across the field to the new terminal. The rule about no more than 3 baggage carts hooked to a tug went out the window that night. There were even belt loaders stacked full of supplies heading to the new terminal.

I arrived at the new terminal about 4 a.m. that September morning and worked an 18-hour shift that day. The station manager said to give everybody all the overtime they wanted to get used to the new terminal. I spent a lot of time training people how to enter flight information into the new baggage claim system and training on the hydrant system at the new airport. At the old you used to have to keep a running total of how much fuel you had on your back because there was not an endless supply coming out of the ground. Everything was so different from the old terminal.

Hard to believe that Southwest used to only operate two or three gates out of the end of the A concourse. I think they could only use 3 gates when Florida Express did not have a flight parked at the very end of A. Good times!


I believe WN used A7 and A8. The old terminal was demolished in April 1990 to my understanding.


I flew WN DAL-HOU-BNA and back when they were on A. They had like 24 departures back then.


Started off with 8 daily departures. 4 to HOU, 4 to MDW. BHM and PHX were added in 87. I’m pretty sure that’s all they had until the 1996 expansion after AA closed shop.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:51 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I believe WN used A7 and A8. The old terminal was demolished in April 1990 to my understanding.


I flew WN DAL-HOU-BNA and back when they were on A. They had like 24 departures back then.


Started off with 8 daily departures. 4 to HOU, 4 to MDW. BHM and PHX were added in 87. I’m pretty sure that’s all they had until the 1996 expansion after AA closed shop.


For some reason I thought they also flew to BWI from those gates. Since is was "technically not possible" for me to fly the route I took due to the W.A. I only did it once. It was my first taste of flying on Southwest, and became hundreds of flights since :).
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Still somewhat shocked that BNA doesn’t have service to IND or BDL. Both would be prime markets for WN to add. I also think CVG could make a comeback on G4 or WN.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:30 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Still somewhat shocked that BNA doesn’t have service to IND or BDL. Both would be prime markets for WN to add. I also think CVG could make a comeback on G4 or WN.


They’ll come, as soon as the MAX fiasco is resolved and WN can start serious growth again.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm

With B6 apparently making many cuts, I wonder if BNA might be getting that rumored JFK service since slots have opened up.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
HeyHey
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 pm

Did BNA lose its F9 flight to VPS? That route was added in summer 2018, but I no longer see it on the allegiant website when I was looking for prices to fly to Destin. I hadn't seen any mention of it on here, so I'm afraid it may have gotten axed.
 
Frank11
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:42 pm

Anyone have any initial performance numbers for the SY PDX service? I am glad PDX-BNA finally happened now I just hope it performs well and stays!
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 pm

Frank11 wrote:
Anyone have any initial performance numbers for the SY PDX service? I am glad PDX-BNA finally happened now I just hope it performs well and stays!


Not sure, but I expect WN to launch this route sooner or later.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 pm

HeyHey wrote:
Did BNA lose its F9 flight to VPS? That route was added in summer 2018, but I no longer see it on the allegiant website when I was looking for prices to fly to Destin. I hadn't seen any mention of it on here, so I'm afraid it may have gotten axed.

Yes, it was quietly removed. My thought was it was probably hard for it to compete against nearby WN service to ECP and PNS.
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Mitsubishi is moving its North American HQ to Franklin from California.

https://www.wkrn.com/top-stories/mitsubishi-motors-to-move-north-american-headquarters-to-franklin/

This further bolsters the case for a TYO flight down the road.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Fargo wrote:
Mitsubishi is moving its North American HQ to Franklin from California.

https://www.wkrn.com/top-stories/mitsubishi-motors-to-move-north-american-headquarters-to-franklin/

This further bolsters the case for a TYO flight down the road.


Don’t overestimate the size of Mitsubishi. This is probably something like a 5 PDEW boost, if that.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Mitsubishi is moving its North American HQ to Franklin from California.

https://www.wkrn.com/top-stories/mitsubishi-motors-to-move-north-american-headquarters-to-franklin/

This further bolsters the case for a TYO flight down the road.


Don’t overestimate the size of Mitsubishi. This is probably something like a 5 PDEW boost, if that.


I know, but the point is every little bit helps.
 
HeyHey
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 am

HeyHey wrote:
Did BNA lose its F9 flight to VPS? That route was added in summer 2018, but I no longer see it on the allegiant website when I was looking for prices to fly to Destin. I hadn't seen any mention of it on here, so I'm afraid it may have gotten axed.


Oops. Meant G4.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Mitsubishi is moving its North American HQ to Franklin from California.

https://www.wkrn.com/top-stories/mitsubishi-motors-to-move-north-american-headquarters-to-franklin/

This further bolsters the case for a TYO flight down the road.


Don’t overestimate the size of Mitsubishi. This is probably something like a 5 PDEW boost, if that.


The same comments were made about Nissan in Franklin. There are a number of Japanese OEM's in middle TN that feed the Nissan plant. Having a consulate here helps. I doubt a flight would start daily, but there have been crazier things happen in the industry in the last few years.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Mitsubishi is moving its North American HQ to Franklin from California.

https://www.wkrn.com/top-stories/mitsubishi-motors-to-move-north-american-headquarters-to-franklin/

This further bolsters the case for a TYO flight down the road.


Don’t overestimate the size of Mitsubishi. This is probably something like a 5 PDEW boost, if that.


The same comments were made about Nissan in Franklin. There are a number of Japanese OEM's in middle TN that feed the Nissan plant. Having a consulate here helps. I doubt a flight would start daily, but there have been crazier things happen in the industry in the last few years.


No. The Nissan demand is many times the size of what Mitsubishi demand will be. Mitsubishi is only 200 jobs and no manufacturing or engineering. It's a positive announcement for sure but not a game changer as far as Japan demand or a TYO flight.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
CLJFlyer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Don’t overestimate the size of Mitsubishi. This is probably something like a 5 PDEW boost, if that.


The same comments were made about Nissan in Franklin. There are a number of Japanese OEM's in middle TN that feed the Nissan plant. Having a consulate here helps. I doubt a flight would start daily, but there have been crazier things happen in the industry in the last few years.


No. The Nissan demand is many times the size of what Mitsubishi demand will be. Mitsubishi is only 200 jobs and no manufacturing or engineering. It's a positive announcement for sure but not a game changer as far as Japan demand or a TYO flight.


If anything, a flight to Mexico City would help. I know a handful of companies just in the Franklin area that have large manufacturing presence in Mexico. I know co-workers that on a weekly basis travel down to Mexico City for work.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 pm

CLJFlyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

The same comments were made about Nissan in Franklin. There are a number of Japanese OEM's in middle TN that feed the Nissan plant. Having a consulate here helps. I doubt a flight would start daily, but there have been crazier things happen in the industry in the last few years.


No. The Nissan demand is many times the size of what Mitsubishi demand will be. Mitsubishi is only 200 jobs and no manufacturing or engineering. It's a positive announcement for sure but not a game changer as far as Japan demand or a TYO flight.


If anything, a flight to Mexico City would help. I know a handful of companies just in the Franklin area that have large manufacturing presence in Mexico. I know co-workers that on a weekly basis travel down to Mexico City for work.


WN hasn't been able to make MEX work from several cities. Perhaps Volaris might, just not sure what the yield is on flights to non-tourist destinations as opposed to VFR traffic.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
dfdubflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm

The AM/DL JV would likely be the ones with the BNA POS to make it work as I think the demand would be more southbound than northbound
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:05 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

No. The Nissan demand is many times the size of what Mitsubishi demand will be. Mitsubishi is only 200 jobs and no manufacturing or engineering. It's a positive announcement for sure but not a game changer as far as Japan demand or a TYO flight.


If anything, a flight to Mexico City would help. I know a handful of companies just in the Franklin area that have large manufacturing presence in Mexico. I know co-workers that on a weekly basis travel down to Mexico City for work.


WN hasn't been able to make MEX work from several cities. Perhaps Volaris might, just not sure what the yield is on flights to non-tourist destinations as opposed to VFR traffic.


The trouble is that Mexico City =/= Mexican manufacturing. Nissan has a large presence in Aguascalientes, which is fairly close to MEX in the grand scheme of things, but it makes much more sense to do BNA-AGU over DFW or IAH than over a Mexican airport.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:21 am

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html An old article from 1985 announcing AA to build a hub in Nashville. Sounds like they had the right idea, just 20 years too early....
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
TangoCharlie123
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:49 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/n ... ubled.html
BNA’s economic impact was $7.1 Billion in 2018 more than double what it was in 2012 ($3.5 Billion).
 
HeyHey
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 am

I know diversions aren't all that uncommon at BNA, but the number of airports that took BNA's diversions tonight seemed impressive. SDF, EVV, LEX, TYS, MEM, HSV, and BHM all took diversions from BNA. Does anyone know why they would choose a place like EVV over SDF or fly all the way to BHM instead of landing at HSV?
 
runner13
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 am

The dispatchers and Captain’s both agree on the diversion airports. I was off work today but these storms were predicted at around the time they happened. So I’m going to assume multiple convective sigmets were forecasted for the area and the dispatchers knew ahead of time to plan for diversions and that’s what they decided was the best place. Looking at flightaware they didn’t take arrivals for an hour during a usually heavy arrival time. That’s why there were so many. I know up in Hendersonville it was pretty rough for a while. I watched several of the diversions holding over my house for a while. It was pretty impressive to watch in front of that huge line of storms heading up from the south.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:30 am

HeyHey wrote:
I know diversions aren't all that uncommon at BNA, but the number of airports that took BNA's diversions tonight seemed impressive. SDF, EVV, LEX, TYS, MEM, HSV, and BHM all took diversions from BNA. Does anyone know why they would choose a place like EVV over SDF or fly all the way to BHM instead of landing at HSV?


I think DL may have had a gate or staff availability issue at SDF. 2599 looks like they thought about SDF before going to LEX.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
antoniemey
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:29 am

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
https://youtu.be/ibiQEU_78-0 Here’s an old WSMV story from 1987 showing the opening day of the current terminal.


Awesome! Thanks for the link.

While I didn't get to work the first departure from the new terminal, I did get the pleasure of working the first arrival under its own power. It was a United 727 from TYS-BNA-ORD. They also had another arrival about 30 minutes later, a 737-200 from HSV-BNA DEN.

The night before the new terminal opened, they closed the airport around midnight and all the supplies were pulled across the runways and taxiways to the new terminal. The last arrivals at the old terminal were towed across the field to the new terminal. The rule about no more than 3 baggage carts hooked to a tug went out the window that night. There were even belt loaders stacked full of supplies heading to the new terminal.

I arrived at the new terminal about 4 a.m. that September morning and worked an 18-hour shift that day. The station manager said to give everybody all the overtime they wanted to get used to the new terminal. I spent a lot of time training people how to enter flight information into the new baggage claim system and training on the hydrant system at the new airport. At the old you used to have to keep a running total of how much fuel you had on your back because there was not an endless supply coming out of the ground. Everything was so different from the old terminal.

Hard to believe that Southwest used to only operate two or three gates out of the end of the A concourse. I think they could only use 3 gates when Florida Express did not have a flight parked at the very end of A. Good times!


I believe WN used A7 and A8. The old terminal was demolished in April 1990 to my understanding.


They definitely operated out of that area. On my Instagram feed somewhere there's a photo of their sticker on the door to the A7 stairwell. It had survived underneath a CO logo sign. The double-sided tape on the CO sign gave way, and the Southwest sticker was still in pretty good shape underneath it.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2677
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:38 am

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Both would be prime markets for WN to add. I also think CVG could make a comeback on G4 or WN.


They’ll come, as soon as the MAX fiasco is resolved and WN can start serious growth again.


While CVG is closer to BNA than most of the destinations that currently have nonstop service from BNA on WN, WN might be able to make BNA-CVG nonstop service work since
(a) there are some WN nonstop routes shorter than or similar in distance to BNA-CVG that have a significant amount of O&D traffic such as ATL-BNA, AUS-DAL, BWI-ISP, BUR-LAS, MDW-DTW, FLL-MCO, FLL-TPA, FLL-TPA, MCI-STL, LAS-LGB, LAS-LAX, LAS-ONT, LAS-SNA, OAK-RNO, and RNO-SJC,
and
(b) WN would be able to offer 1-stop connecting service to Southern California, Texas, MSY, Florida, ATL, North Carolina, and CHS from CVG through BNA if WN adds BNA-CVG nonstop service.

On the other hand, CVG-BNA is shorter than any existing G4 nonstop routes, even though G4's LAS-LAX and LAS-AZA nonstop routes are slightly longer than BNA-CVG. G4 also only operates nonstop flights, and G4 would have to make CVG-BNA nonstop service work on O&D alone.

WN would probably do better than G4 would on CVG-BNA nonstop service since WN would have some connecting traffic to Southern California, Texas, and Florida on its CVG-BNA nonstop flights in addition to O&D if WN adds CVG-BNA nonstop service whereas G4 would only be carrying non-connecting passengers between CVG and BNA if G4 adds CVG-BNA nonstop service. WN also has much stronger brand loyalty than G4 does in Nashville, Southern California, and Texas.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:22 pm

CVG-BNA is less than a 4 hour drive. I can't imagine a point-to-point leisure-oriented carrier like G4 adding the route.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2677
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
CVG-BNA is less than a 4 hour drive. I can't imagine a point-to-point leisure-oriented carrier like G4 adding the route.


I agree with your point, especially since G4 would have to make CVG-BNA work on O&D alone. On the other hand, I had mentioned that WN might be able to make CVG-BNA nonstop service work as there would be some passengers connecting to Southern California, Texas, and Florida from CVG through BNA if WN adds CVG-BNA nonstop service.
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:28 am

WKRN had a several part series the other day with Doug Kreulen on the BNA Vision work and projects beyond.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-2019/behind-the-scenes-at-nashville-international-airport/

The last video is an interesting one. It is about the proposed runway extension and towards the middle, it talks about potential new intercontinental destinations. For Asia, Doug talks about Tokyo first, but he also mentions Seoul as a possibility. That surprised me, how many ties to Korea does Nashville/Tennessee have?

As much as ICN is more convenient for connections as opposed to HND/NRT, I don't see that happening for quite a number of years. Just landing a Tokyo flight is going to take some time IMO, and may not happen until 2L is extended.

I really hope they are considering expediting the runway extension.
 
gsg013
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:14 am

Fargo wrote:
WKRN had a several part series the other day with Doug Kreulen on the BNA Vision work and projects beyond.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-2019/behind-the-scenes-at-nashville-international-airport/

The last video is an interesting one. It is about the proposed runway extension and towards the middle, it talks about potential new intercontinental destinations. For Asia, Doug talks about Tokyo first, but he also mentions Seoul as a possibility. That surprised me, how many ties to Korea does Nashville/Tennessee have?

As much as ICN is more convenient for connections as opposed to HND/NRT, I don't see that happening for quite a number of years. Just landing a Tokyo flight is going to take some time IMO, and may not happen until 2L is extended.



I havent heard about an ICN flight but it would make sense for DL/Korean Airlines through their JV with their recent strategy of connecting asian pax through ICN instead of tokyo.
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:00 am

gsg013 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
WKRN had a several part series the other day with Doug Kreulen on the BNA Vision work and projects beyond.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-2019/behind-the-scenes-at-nashville-international-airport/

The last video is an interesting one. It is about the proposed runway extension and towards the middle, it talks about potential new intercontinental destinations. For Asia, Doug talks about Tokyo first, but he also mentions Seoul as a possibility. That surprised me, how many ties to Korea does Nashville/Tennessee have?

As much as ICN is more convenient for connections as opposed to HND/NRT, I don't see that happening for quite a number of years. Just landing a Tokyo flight is going to take some time IMO, and may not happen until 2L is extended.



I havent heard about an ICN flight but it would make sense for DL/Korean Airlines through their JV with their recent strategy of connecting asian pax through ICN instead of tokyo.


I have a hard time seeing KE here before the 2030’s at the soonest. Nashville-Asia nonstop is an unproven market and it’s not as simple as Europe. The focus needs to be getting JL to NRT/HND and if that does well, KE to ICN can be seriously looked at.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:54 am

Supposedly BNA was courting Europe/London service for over 10 years. I could only imagine how long it could take to recruit an Asia flight.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4012
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:50 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Supposedly BNA was courting Europe/London service for over 10 years. I could only imagine how long it could take to recruit an Asia flight.


I'm pretty sure BNA has been courting Asia since a bit before the London flight was announced. I remember reading an article at least from 2013 about it.

Here's what's going to happen though, I think it is going to play out like this. You are going to see AUS, RDU, BNA, IND, CMH, or some other mid-sized airport get a non-stop TPAC first, and the rest will follow in succession 1-3 years later.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Supposedly BNA was courting Europe/London service for over 10 years. I could only imagine how long it could take to recruit an Asia flight.


I'm pretty sure BNA has been courting Asia since a bit before the London flight was announced. I remember reading an article at least from 2013 about it.

Here's what's going to happen though, I think it is going to play out like this. You are going to see AUS, RDU, BNA, IND, CMH, or some other mid-sized airport get a non-stop TPAC first, and the rest will follow in succession 1-3 years later.


Unlike Europe, I don’t think there will be as many mid-sized markets landing Asia service. IMO, as of right now, the only markets that have a strong enough case are AUS, RDU, BNA and IND. Other airports in that category don’t have strong enough economies.

AUS will likely be first, considering their airport director hinted it could within the next two years. I think the only thing standing in the way of BNA getting a JL 788 to NRT/HND is the lack of a long enough N/S runway. Since IND has the proper infrastructure and incentive $ in place, perhaps JL isn’t too far off there. RDU wants China so that will take a bit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos