Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNAMealer

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:07 am

southwest1675 wrote:
I believe a proper rebuild of A would set BNA well for the future. Southwest getting the rest of C one day isn’t out of the picture in my opinion. AA would obviously get the new A facilities with UA and potential other carriers.

I think it’s a safe bet WN will take most, if not all of C. It might take a decade, but who else is going to expand to that scale?

A makes sense as a facility for AA/UA and others, though AA doesn’t need 8 gates going forward. They need to give up 1-2. I’d say give AA 7, UA 5 and make the remaining 5 CUTE.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:37 pm

I wonder if we’re gonna hit 20 million by 2020.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:04 pm

I forgot to mention, another reason cited for why the satellite was cut was the concern about how the landslide facilities would be overloaded with that many gates.

gustywinds

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Have we heard anything about the proposed onsite hotel? Construction on the garage that it is supposed to be built on top off has just started. Rumor has it the airport hasn’t lined up a hotel brand yet.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:52 pm

gustywinds wrote:
Have we heard anything about the proposed onsite hotel? Construction on the garage that it is supposed to be built on top off has just started. Rumor has it the airport hasn’t lined up a hotel brand yet.

Heard the MNAA wants too much control of the hotel, and a lot of the hotel brands haven’t found that too attractive. Some employee bus ride chatter noted Mariott was their number one choice.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:48 pm

bobphelps87 wrote:
After D, the A rebuild, and the IAB are all complete, that will be a total of 68 gates. The satellite concourse would be an additional 8 gates bringing that total to 76. The board decided that 76 is too many for now, they didn't feel like busses to a satellite concourse would provide the level of service desired, and A can be rebuilt in the same amount of time it will take to build the satellite concourse. Want a tunnel to the proposed satellite concourse? Add $60 million

Several A gates will close while a temp passenger holding facility is built off A to service the 8 hard stands, that will occupy the area proposed for the satellite concourse. The gate/facility for the BA flight will be maintained until the IAB is online, of course. New A construction can begin between the road and the existing A, allowing A to stay online. Step 1 is to fill the hole/slope off of A; and that is expected to begin in March

The Delta Lounge is currently in design and will be built on the apron level

Environmental studies will begin in the Spring for the 2L expansion. Preliminary design, FAA approval, Murfreesboro Rd tunnel extension (and alternative proposal) will all be included in that process and is expected to take 18 months to 2 years to complete. Hopefully not 3 years, as there are no expected issues. Fill requirements might be on the scale of a million cubic yards, that will be a challenge, some will come from the tunnel extension. The hope is to have metro and TDOT on board and ready to go at that time. Utilities are needed for the airport (unrelated to the 2L project) that must come down Murfreesboro Rd. The hope is that can be coordinated to be done in preparation for the tunnel extension. The airport authority expects to pay for the tunnel project. Apparently, many of the properties that must be acquired are rental properties owned by one person. The hope is eminent domain will not be required. Of course, no property acquisition until studies and all approvals are completed

Widening of B was a proposal that was dropped from the master plan, but could still be implemented in the future

Of note, the parking garage IS designed and built to support the weight of a light rail line. There are a set of concrete slabs that would be removed and some of the top amenities deck impacted that would allow service to, practically, the front door of the airport

New terminal and future runway, still prefer off Donelson/I-40 between 2R and future runway. Will pursue a 12k foot runway if/when built. This is planned for but is not even considered a remote possibility in our lifetime (unless we become a major hub)

No additional flight to Europe is planned until the BA flight has had 2 years to establish itself. Numbers to London where at 220+ when BA agreed to establish service. That number is now 400+ daily. Nobody would tell, but sure seems like the future Delta metal rumor has legs

Numbers to TYO are 68, 88 for Asia, and 122 when adding China. It is a bit difficult for me to believe those numbers are that low. Check back in 5 years, I guess

The new A Concourse will hopefully be wider lol.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:35 pm

bobphelps87 wrote:
After D, the A rebuild, and the IAB are all complete, that will be a total of 68 gates. The satellite concourse would be an additional 8 gates bringing that total to 76. The board decided that 76 is too many for now, they didn't feel like busses to a satellite concourse would provide the level of service desired, and A can be rebuilt in the same amount of time it will take to build the satellite concourse. Want a tunnel to the proposed satellite concourse? Add $60 million

Several A gates will close while a temp passenger holding facility is built off A to service the 8 hard stands, that will occupy the area proposed for the satellite concourse. The gate/facility for the BA flight will be maintained until the IAB is online, of course. New A construction can begin between the road and the existing A, allowing A to stay online. Step 1 is to fill the hole/slope off of A; and that is expected to begin in March

Environmental studies will begin in the Spring for the 2L expansion. Preliminary design, FAA approval, Murfreesboro Rd tunnel extension (and alternative proposal) will all be included in that process and is expected to take 18 months to 2 years to complete. Hopefully not 3 years, as there are no expected issues. Fill requirements might be on the scale of a million cubic yards, that will be a challenge, some will come from the tunnel extension. The hope is to have metro and TDOT on board and ready to go at that time. Utilities are needed for the airport (unrelated to the 2L project) that must come down Murfreesboro Rd. The hope is that can be coordinated to be done in preparation for the tunnel extension. The airport authority expects to pay for the tunnel project. Apparently, many of the properties that must be acquired are rental properties owned by one person. The hope is eminent domain will not be required. Of course, no property acquisition until studies and all approvals are completed

Widening of B was a proposal that was dropped from the master plan, but could still be implemented in the future

Of note, the parking garage IS designed and built to support the weight of a light rail line. There are a set of concrete slabs that would be removed and some of the top amenities deck impacted that would allow service to, practically, the front door of the airport

New terminal and future runway, still prefer off Donelson/I-40 between 2R and future runway. Will pursue a 12k foot runway if/when built. This is planned for but is not even considered a remote possibility in our lifetime (unless we become a major hub)

No additional flight to Europe is planned until the BA flight has had 2 years to establish itself. Numbers to London where at 220+ when BA agreed to establish service. That number is now 400+ daily. Nobody would tell, but sure seems like the future Delta metal rumor has legs

Numbers to TYO are 68, 88 for Asia, and 122 when adding China. It is a bit difficult for me to believe those numbers are that low. Check back in 5 years, I guess

Where are you getting 68 gates from? I only counted 61.

kingcavalier

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm

The gate count is in the airport’s last presentation

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Docu ... eeting.pdf

A - 17 gates
B - 10 gates
C - 19 gates
D - 6 gates
T - 5 gates

There was a proposal to add 3 more gates on to the new D concourse currently under construction

The satellite would’ve had 8 gates

So right now the number is 57 planned gates
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:55 pm

kingcavalier wrote:
The gate count is in the airport’s last presentation

https://www.flynashville.com/about/Docu ... eeting.pdf

A - 17 gates
B - 10 gates
C - 19 gates
D - 6 gates
T - 5 gates

There was a proposal to add 3 more gates on to the new D concourse currently under construction

The satellite would’ve had 8 gates

So right now the number is 57 planned gates

Not quite. The 3 gate addition onto D is part of the plan, and the International T has 6 gates, so it’s actually 61.

bobphelps87

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 am

gustywinds wrote:

Hotel flag expected to be announced in June

kingcavalier

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:24 am

Just going off the numbers the airport posted in their presentation. It shows 5 T gates
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

BNAMealer

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:43 am

kingcavalier wrote:
Just going off the numbers the airport posted in their presentation. It shows 5 T gates

That’s an error, it’s 6.

bobphelps87

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:36 am

BNAMealer wrote:
bobphelps87 wrote:

Agreed, should have said 60 and 68, not 68 and 76. Thanks for pointing that out

Also, the new A will be wider, more roomy, and similar to D. Eventually, B and C will be remodeled to have the same flooring (bye bye BNA Carpet)

They gave me the impression that the three additional D gates would be the last option to be implemented. Expect 57 gates when all is done

There will be a lot of people per square foot in that terminal in just a few years. I can't imagine what it would be like if the satellite concourse were to be implemented

BNAMealer

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:52 am

bobphelps87 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
bobphelps87 wrote:

Agreed, should have said 60 and 68, not 68 and 76. Thanks for pointing that out

Also, the new A will be wider, more roomy, and similar to D. Eventually, B and C will be remodeled to have the same flooring (bye bye BNA Carpet)

They gave me the impression that the three additional D gates would be the last option to be implemented. Expect 57 gates when all is done

There will be a lot of people per square foot in that terminal in just a few years. I can't imagine what it would be like if the satellite concourse were to be implemented

They’ll need those three D gates, just rebuilding A won’t be enough. They’ll also put that extra gate on A by modifying the B bridges, making a total of 61.

I personally think that’s not quite enough, but there’s no where else to put gates and the satellite just isn’t feasible.

southwest1675

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:08 am

Concourses C and B hopefully get more windows. I'd love some more natural light in there. The Concourses were originally white tile. BNA surely looked different back in the day.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Does anyone know how many flights a day AA, DL and UA all operate out of BNA?

bnatraveler

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:35 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

Thu 12/5

DL 37
- BOS 4x (E17X)
- LGA 6x (E17X/CR9)
- JFK 2x (E17X/CR9)
- RDU 2x (CR7)
- ATL 10x (B738/9 & A321)
- DTW 6x (B712 & A319)
- MSP 4x (B712)
- SEA 1x (A319)
- LAX 1x (B738)
- SLC 1x (B738)

AA 48
- LAX 3x (B738 & A321)
- DFW 8x (B738 & A321)
- ORD 9x (ER4, CR7, A319)
- MIA 3x (B738)
- CLT 8x (E175, CR9, A319/20, B738)
- DCA 6x (E175, A319)
- PHL 4x (E175, A319)
- LGA 5x (E175)
- JFK 2x (ER4, ERD)

UA 25
- EWR 7x (ERJ, A319, B73G/8)
- ORD 7x (E175, CRJ7, A319, B73G)
- IAH 5x (ERJ, E175, A319)
- DEN 3x (E175, CRJ7, A320)
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

southwest1675

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 pm

bnatraveler wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Thu 12/5

DL 37
- BOS 4x (E17X)
- LGA 6x (E17X/CR9)
- JFK 2x (E17X/CR9)
- RDU 2x (CR7)
- DTW 6x (B712 & A319)
- MSP 4x (B712)
- SEA 1x (A319)
- LAX 1x (B738)
- SLC 1x (B738)

AA 48
- LAX 3x (B738 & A321)
- DFW 8x (B738 & A321)
- MIA 3x (B738)
- DCA 6x (E175, A319)
- PHL 4x (E175, A319)
- LGA 5x (E175)
- JFK 2x (ER4, ERD)

UA 25
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

Been discussed before, but I’m still waiting to see who adds mainline to LGA/JFK first.
Last edited by southwest1675 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ZazuPIT

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 pm

bnatraveler wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Thu 12/5

UA 25
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

You omitted the SFO flight.

BNAMealer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm

bnatraveler wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Thu 12/5

DL 37
- BOS 4x (E17X)
- LGA 6x (E17X/CR9)
- JFK 2x (E17X/CR9)
- RDU 2x (CR7)
- DTW 6x (B712 & A319)
- MSP 4x (B712)
- SEA 1x (A319)
- LAX 1x (B738)
- SLC 1x (B738)

AA 48
- LAX 3x (B738 & A321)
- DFW 8x (B738 & A321)
- MIA 3x (B738)
- DCA 6x (E175, A319)
- PHL 4x (E175, A319)
- LGA 5x (E175)
- JFK 2x (ER4, ERD)

UA 25
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

Thank you.

It’s clear AA isn’t using its gates to their full extent, probably an average of 6 flights a day. So why does WN need to give up 2-3 gates to them?

southwest1675

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 am

BNAMealer wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Thu 12/5

DL 37
- BOS 4x (E17X)
- LGA 6x (E17X/CR9)
- JFK 2x (E17X/CR9)
- RDU 2x (CR7)
- DTW 6x (B712 & A319)
- MSP 4x (B712)
- SEA 1x (A319)
- LAX 1x (B738)
- SLC 1x (B738)

AA 48
- LAX 3x (B738 & A321)
- DFW 8x (B738 & A321)
- MIA 3x (B738)
- DCA 6x (E175, A319)
- PHL 4x (E175, A319)
- LGA 5x (E175)
- JFK 2x (ER4, ERD)

UA 25
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

Thank you.

It’s clear AA isn’t using its gates to their full extent, probably an average of 6 flights a day. So why does WN need to give up 2-3 gates to them?

They have quite a few originators. Plus they still have a close relationship with the MNAA after all these years.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

bnatraveler

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:05 am

ZazuPIT wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Thu 12/5

UA 25
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

You omitted the SFO flight.

I was trying to be careful to get everything, and I knew about that flight but forgot to put it here. Here's the list again with the full set:

Thu 12/5

DL 37
- BOS 4x (E17X)
- LGA 6x (E17X/CR9)
- JFK 2x (E17X/CR9)
- RDU 2x (CR7)
- DTW 6x (B712 & A319)
- MSP 4x (B712)
- SEA 1x (A319)
- LAX 1x (B738)
- SLC 1x (B738)

AA 48
- LAX 3x (B738 & A321)
- DFW 8x (B738 & A321)
- MIA 3x (B738)
- DCA 6x (E175, A319)
- PHL 4x (E175, A319)
- LGA 5x (E175)
- JFK 2x (ER4, ERD)

UA 26
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)
- SFO 1x (A319)

BNAMealer

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:58 am

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:

Thu 12/5

DL 37
- BOS 4x (E17X)
- LGA 6x (E17X/CR9)
- JFK 2x (E17X/CR9)
- RDU 2x (CR7)
- DTW 6x (B712 & A319)
- MSP 4x (B712)
- SEA 1x (A319)
- LAX 1x (B738)
- SLC 1x (B738)

AA 48
- LAX 3x (B738 & A321)
- DFW 8x (B738 & A321)
- MIA 3x (B738)
- DCA 6x (E175, A319)
- PHL 4x (E175, A319)
- LGA 5x (E175)
- JFK 2x (ER4, ERD)

UA 25
- IAD 3x (E175, CRJ7)

Thank you.

They have quite a few originators. Plus they still have a close relationship with the MNAA after all these years.

True, but IMO, DL is doing much more with one fewer gate (not frequency, but gauge). There is a couple of frequencies that could be cut and/or upgauged (ORD and JFK come to mind, why again do they need 9x daily to ORD on CR7/ERJ?)

And even so, that schedule doesn’t require 8 gates, they could do with 7 or maybe even 6.

skitchie

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Hey y'all, new guy popping in. Ramp rat over at B concourse. Nice to meet ya. Pumped to find such an informative thread on my home away from home, haha

southwest1675

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 am

skitchie wrote:
Hey y'all, new guy popping in. Ramp rat over at B concourse. Nice to meet ya. Pumped to find such an informative thread on my home away from home, haha

Greetings from C.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

antoniemey

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:28 am

skitchie wrote:

Welcome! I used to work ramp on A and, many years ago, B.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Bluegrass60

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Southwest Airlines has chosen Denver over Nashville, Tenn., and Houston for a major expansion that could bring more than 1,000 new jobs to Denver International Airport over the next eight years.

southwest1675

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Southwest Airlines has chosen Denver over Nashville, Tenn., and Houston for a major expansion that could bring more than 1,000 new jobs to Denver International Airport over the next eight years.

Nobody still knows what they chose. Some are speculating it was a ploy to get more gates in DEN for cheaper.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ZazuPIT

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:

Which, given their presence and growth mode in Denver, surprises no one.

skitchie

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:55 am

Anyone have any dirt on that Learjet emergency landing that happened earlier this afternoon? Saw it happen from the observation area; LiveATC receivers aren't at 100% so I couldn't hear tower/ground, but the pilot said something about an engine fire.

southwest1675

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:53 am

skitchie wrote:
Anyone have any dirt on that Learjet emergency landing that happened earlier this afternoon? Saw it happen from the observation area; LiveATC receivers aren't at 100% so I couldn't hear tower/ground, but the pilot said something about an engine fire.

Not sure, but I’m sure it was handled well. BNA ATC is seriously one of the best in the country. I fly GA out of BNA/JWN, and they give a 172 the same attention and respect as a 737.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:12 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

Not sure, but I’m sure it was handled well. BNA ATC is seriously one of the best in the country. I fly GA out of BNA/JWN, and they give a 172 the same attention and respect as a 737.

I'd believe it. Currently working on my private rating out of BNA and while they're the only towered airport I've flown from/to, I never have to worry about them not being accomadating. Great group of people over there.

southwest1675

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

I'd believe it. Currently working on my private rating out of BNA and while they're the only towered airport I've flown from/to, I never have to worry about them not being accomadating. Great group of people over there.

Hangar 7?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:37 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Hangar 7?

You know it!

southwest1675

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:04 am

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

Hangar 7?

You know it!

That’s where I got my private. Good place.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

skitchie

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:34 am

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Hangar 7?

You know it!

I agree, good planes, good people. Loving it so far.

southwest1675

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:23 pm

skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:

You know it!

I did my checkride in 739VN.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

runner13

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:35 pm

skitchie wrote:

#1 engine failure. Upon check in with the tower the pilot reported they still had a fire indication on the #1 engine. Landed safely and taxied under their own power.

skitchie

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:49 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
skitchie wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I did my checkride in 739VN.

I'm probably gonna take mine in VN too! Either him or 35672. Everyone loves VN and I'm not ashamed to admit I fall in the same boat as most people in that capacity

InopGauge

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:29 pm

With all the chatter of Flight Training in the BNA airspace lately, I felt inclined to share some of my story.

It was the mid-80s and I was going for my PPL. Me and another dude, who was going for his CFI, flew over to Cornelia Fort Airpark for our check rides (airport closed after the 2010 floods). It was only a few minutes a flight time in a Beech Sundowner to Cornelia Fort since it was just on the other side of the river from Opryland. As if I wasn't nervous enough, I had never landed on a Runway that was only 50 feet wide (was used to 150' wide at BNA and or most airports for that matter).. To compound my nervousness, The Examiner wanted me to do an actual soft field takeoff from Cornelia Fort which also required clearing a 50-foot obstacle. To make a long story short, I passed the checkride and the examiner shook my hand and said, "Congratulations, you are a Private Pilot". Very memorable day!

Upon the return flight to BNA, we were vectored down past Spring Hill before being turned inbound due to the AA Hub just starting up and inbound arrivals to 2L. The return flight took at least over 30 minutes, but I was not complaining because it was more PIC time. Sure, we could have been vectored underneath the the departures and entered a right downwind for 2R (which is now the current 2C). But again no complaints. I did learn after returning to Stevens Aviation that I could have gotten out of that soft field takeoff because my rental agreement did not allow me to do that, but I'm glad I got the experience without getting into trouble.. LOL.

BNA ATC we're always super accommodating when I was going for my IFR rating and shooting ILS approaches into MQY. Very fortunate that most of my IFR training flights were actual IFR so BNA ATC was not as busy with VFR/GA traffic.

We also used to get a lot of approaches for 31 with instructions to hold short of 2L/20R. I don't think they do that anymore.

southwest1675

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 am

InopGauge wrote:
With all the chatter of Flight Training in the BNA airspace lately, I felt inclined to share some of my story.

It was the mid-80s and I was going for my PPL. Me and another dude, who was going for his CFI, flew over to Cornelia Fort Airpark for our check rides (airport closed after the 2010 floods). It was only a few minutes a flight time in a Beech Sundowner to Cornelia Fort since it was just on the other side of the river from Opryland. As if I wasn't nervous enough, I had never landed on a Runway that was only 50 feet wide (was used to 150' wide at BNA and or most airports for that matter).. To compound my nervousness, The Examiner wanted me to do an actual soft field takeoff from Cornelia Fort which also required clearing a 50-foot obstacle. To make a long story short, I passed the checkride and the examiner shook my hand and said, "Congratulations, you are a Private Pilot". Very memorable day!

Upon the return flight to BNA, we were vectored down past Spring Hill before being turned inbound due to the AA Hub just starting up and inbound arrivals to 2L. The return flight took at least over 30 minutes, but I was not complaining because it was more PIC time. Sure, we could have been vectored underneath the the departures and entered a right downwind for 2R (which is now the current 2C). But again no complaints. I did learn after returning to Stevens Aviation that I could have gotten out of that soft field takeoff because my rental agreement did not allow me to do that, but I'm glad I got the experience without getting into trouble.. LOL.

BNA ATC we're always super accommodating when I was going for my IFR rating and shooting ILS approaches into MQY. Very fortunate that most of my IFR training flights were actual IFR so BNA ATC was not as busy with VFR/GA traffic.

We also used to get a lot of approaches for 31 with instructions to hold short of 2L/20R. I don't think they do that anymore.

I’m currently an instrument student with BNA as my home base. It’s always fun flying out of one of the busier C airports in the country. Like mentioned before, BNA ATC treats us well. With 20R/2L being closed, it’s been a little tricky for sequencing during peak times, but they always make room for our little 172. BA flew over us with about 1000ft seperation one evening and it was pretty incredible. BA was on a long left downwind for 2L, and I was on a long left base for 2C. Bob Hoover learned to fly at BNA!
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ibthebigd

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 pm

On the IND forum someone mentioned BNA doesn't have a long enough runway for Trans Pacific service.

How does SAN with a 9400 foot runway can handle a 5500 NM flight but BNA couldn't handle a flight 1000 NM farther?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BNAMealer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:07 am

ibthebigd wrote:
On the IND forum someone mentioned BNA doesn't have a long enough runway for Trans Pacific service.

How does SAN with a 9400 foot runway can handle a 5500 NM flight but BNA couldn't handle a flight 1000 NM farther?

Because all the existing N/S runways are only 8,000 ft and we are further inland than SAN, so a longer 11,000+ ft runway is needed to handle the MTOW for Asia bound flights, particularly in the hot summer time.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 am

BNAMealer wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

Because all the existing N/S runways are only 8,000 ft and we are further inland than SAN, so a longer 11,000+ ft runway is needed to handle the MTOW for Asia bound flights, particularly in the hot summer time.

BNA has an 11,000 foot runway that is used for departures routinely . . . Heck, I departed off of it two days ago.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

BNAMealer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:49 am

Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

BNA has an 11,000 foot runway that is used for departures routinely . . . Heck, I departed off of it two days ago.

That’s the crosswind which may be shorted or eliminated in the future, it is not one of the primary runways. It is being used more heavily right now since 2L is closed. If it was sufficient for Asia, I doubt BNA would be planning to extend 2L.

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

That’s the crosswind which may be shorted or eliminated in the future, it is not one of the primary runways. It is being used more heavily right now since 2L is closed. If it was sufficient for Asia, I doubt BNA would be planning to extend 2L.

A single runway of the requisite length is plainly sufficient for Asia, and the fact that it faces the direction of the most common super-strong winds is helpful. Otherwise SAN and LGW would lack long haul service.

That doesn’t mean that lengthening 2L is a bad idea, but the idea that the current runway setup is somehow holding BNA back from Asia service isn’t factual.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

southwest1675

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:34 am

I wonder if we'll get a route announcement by year's end. Most likely G4.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

BNAMealer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 am

I wonder if there has been any thought about moving DL to A once it is rebuilt?

Given the fact that DL continues to upgauge and now uses primarily mainline planes with 100+ seats, the hold rooms in B are getting crowded. There were plans to widen B early on in the master plan, but they have been dropped for now.

Given DL's upgauging, I'm thinking it would be best to move DL, along with AA/AS/B6/WS to the new A once rebuilt. Since UA only has 5 gates and typically flies smaller regional jets, they don't require as much hold room space and they could move to B along with the ULCC's (G4, NK, F9, SY). This would allow for the the ULCC gates to be positioned next to the (presumably) CUTE IAB gates, some of which would most likely be used by the ULCC during off peak times.

This would also provide flexibility in the future when Terminal 2 is built. I could see a future Terminal 2 housing UA and all the ULCC's since their schedules are not as big. If they all moved out of B to the new terminal, it would provide an opportunity to widen the concourse without disrupting operations. It would also allow for WN to grow into B if they feel the need to.

badbnatraffic

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:25 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge wrote:

I’m currently an instrument student with BNA as my home base. It’s always fun flying out of one of the busier C airports in the country. Like mentioned before, BNA ATC treats us well. With 20R/2L being closed, it’s been a little tricky for sequencing during peak times, but they always make room for our little 172. BA flew over us with about 1000ft seperation one evening and it was pretty incredible. BA was on a long left downwind for 2L, and I was on a long left base for 2C. Bob Hoover learned to fly at BNA!

I got my private at BNA too! Always something special about holding short of 02L waiting for a DL 757 to land right over you. Something that I miss down here at MBT.

southwest1675

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I wonder if Condor has even looked at adding seasonal FRA-BNA service yet. Our peers in MSY and AUS got Condor not long after BA has shown success in those markets. BNA’s LHR service is still going strong, and showing signs of improvement in these colder months.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos