EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
OK...somewhat off topic but in regards to AA in Nashville. I'm flying them for the first time in 6 years BNA-DFW-BNA in October. Insanely cheap ticket after miles used. Has their service gotten any better or is it going to be a long two hours?


That’s my most flown route!

It will feel almost identical to Southwest but for about an inch less legroom, a biscoff or pretzels rather than peanuts, and more streaming entertainment (but less live TV). If you ask nicely they’ll still give you the full can of soda.


Thanks to all for the heads up. My last flight on AA in 2013 was BNA-DFW-SEA and back, and all legs were miserable. One good thing with this upcoming trip is my return flight is scheduled on a A321. Haven't flown many of those.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
OK...somewhat off topic but in regards to AA in Nashville. I'm flying them for the first time in 6 years BNA-DFW-BNA in October. Insanely cheap ticket after miles used. Has their service gotten any better or is it going to be a long two hours?


That’s my most flown route!

It will feel almost identical to Southwest but for about an inch less legroom, a biscoff or pretzels rather than peanuts, and more streaming entertainment (but less live TV). If you ask nicely they’ll still give you the full can of soda.


Thanks to all for the heads up. My last flight on AA in 2013 was BNA-DFW-SEA and back, and all legs were miserable. One good thing with this upcoming trip is my return flight is scheduled on a A321. Haven't flown many of those.


Your A321 should be one of those fancy ones with IFE and such. Not an old US Airways birdie.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
dfdubflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

That’s my most flown route!

It will feel almost identical to Southwest but for about an inch less legroom, a biscoff or pretzels rather than peanuts, and more streaming entertainment (but less live TV). If you ask nicely they’ll still give you the full can of soda.


Thanks to all for the heads up. My last flight on AA in 2013 was BNA-DFW-SEA and back, and all legs were miserable. One good thing with this upcoming trip is my return flight is scheduled on a A321. Haven't flown many of those.


Your A321 should be one of those fancy ones with IFE and such. Not an old US Airways birdie.


Have they been cycling the L-AA A321s through lately? Those are great planes (except for the last row -- bad legroom). I strongly prefer them to the L-US a/c even if they have a hair more legroom
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:12 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Thanks to all for the heads up. My last flight on AA in 2013 was BNA-DFW-SEA and back, and all legs were miserable. One good thing with this upcoming trip is my return flight is scheduled on a A321. Haven't flown many of those.


Your A321 should be one of those fancy ones with IFE and such. Not an old US Airways birdie.


Have they been cycling the L-AA A321s through lately? Those are great planes (except for the last row -- bad legroom). I strongly prefer them to the L-US a/c even if they have a hair more legroom


The LAA 321s with the sharklets have been flying to DFW and LAX exclusively from BNA. You’ll see an LUS 321 go to CLT every now and then.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Does anyone with any insider information know when DL might formally announce the expansion of the Sky Club? If they are to complete it by 2020, they have to get going pretty soon.
 
Lexy
Posts: 1480
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:33 am

Comparing AA and WN is way off. Especially when you consider how BNA fits them.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4151
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 pm

OKC-BNA is going daily starting Jan 6
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
ThaneC
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:12 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm

IND-BNA nonstop is badly needed.
I’m certain Southwest has that route planned as they continue to build up BNA.
Will have to wait until the 737-Max returns to get aircraft.
 
ThaneC
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:12 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:33 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Does anyone with any insider information know when DL might formally announce the expansion of the Sky Club? If they are to complete it by 2020, they have to get going pretty soon.


The expansion of the BNA SkyClub has already been officially announced. There are posters and signs in the current SkyClub. No completion date announced as of this time.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13993
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 pm

ThaneC wrote:
IND-BNA nonstop is badly needed.
I’m certain Southwest has that route planned as they continue to build up BNA.
Will have to wait until the 737-Max returns to get aircraft.


Other than ATL, which is a huge local market, WN has stayed away from sub-300 mile routes ex-BNA. I agree that the day trip is brutal (I've done it), but for any longer trip between Indianapolis and Nashville driving makes more sense for most passengers. Also keep in mind that while both Indianapolis and Nashville are strong and growing business markets, there's not that much overlap between their strengths.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 pm

IND-BNA badly needed? IND is 4 1/2 hours or so to Nashville. If anything WN has been pulling back short-hauls. Think I saw they just dropped OKC-DAL which is @ same distance. I suspect if IND-BNA did happen....IND is likely to lose other WN service that would be "replaced" by connections at BNA.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Other than ATL, which is a huge local market, WN has stayed away from sub-300 mile routes ex-BNA. I agree that the day trip is brutal (I've done it), but for any longer trip between Indianapolis and Nashville driving makes more sense for most passengers. Also keep in mind that while both Indianapolis and Nashville are strong and growing business markets, there's not that much overlap between their strengths.


WN operates BNA-STL nonstop service, which is only 272 miles long. However, WN is connecting some passengers to a few destinations in between BNA and DEN such as DSM, OMA, TUL, and ICT from BNA through STL. There is also enough O&D between BNA and STL to support nonstop service to STL from BNA on WN, and load factors on BNA-STL was over 85%.
 
ThaneC
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:12 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Southwest has very big expansion plans for BNA after the completion of the new Concourse D. Negotiations with the airport authority and American Airlines to relocate AA gates are progressing. Ultimately the plan is for Southwest to have all the gates in both Concourses C&D.
 
ytib
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 pm

ThaneC wrote:
Southwest has very big expansion plans for BNA after the completion of the new Concourse D. Negotiations with the airport authority and American Airlines to relocate AA gates are progressing. Ultimately the plan is for Southwest to have all the gates in both Concourses C&D.


They also have very large expansion plans for DEN, saying this week they want to add 100 flights with 16 new gates. With DAL and MDW constrained for growth, they are looking at new options for growth. The new gates in DEN will not be open until the end of 2020, and it is not known if Southwest will get the 16 gates they desire. We know MAX is limiting right now, but even after that is resolved there are still only so many aircraft. Thus with the big plans for expansion at DEN and BNA, somewhere else will need to have a little draw down.

Southwest Airlines hopes to make Denver its busiest airport with 100 new flights
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ew-flights
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 pm

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ew-flights

WN defnitiely has plans to expand at Denver....
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ThaneC wrote:
IND-BNA nonstop is badly needed.
I’m certain Southwest has that route planned as they continue to build up BNA.
Will have to wait until the 737-Max returns to get aircraft.


Other than ATL, which is a huge local market, WN has stayed away from sub-300 mile routes ex-BNA. I agree that the day trip is brutal (I've done it), but for any longer trip between Indianapolis and Nashville driving makes more sense for most passengers. Also keep in mind that while both Indianapolis and Nashville are strong and growing business markets, there's not that much overlap between their strengths.


As WN builds up BNA with more connections, I expect them to move IND-ATL to BNA.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 pm

ThaneC wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Does anyone with any insider information know when DL might formally announce the expansion of the Sky Club? If they are to complete it by 2020, they have to get going pretty soon.


The expansion of the BNA SkyClub has already been officially announced. There are posters and signs in the current SkyClub. No completion date announced as of this time.


DL hasn’t put out an official press release on the expansion though with the specifics like they have with other clubs. I’m assuming they’ll do so eventually and I wanted to know when we might hear something.

ThaneC wrote:
Southwest has very big expansion plans for BNA after the completion of the new Concourse D. Negotiations with the airport authority and American Airlines to relocate AA gates are progressing. Ultimately the plan is for Southwest to have all the gates in both Concourses C&D.


This has been speculated on this thread, but is this confirmed? In order for WN to take all of C/D, the A rebuild will have to happen, which isn’t scheduled to happen until the mid-2020s at the soonest. Also, BNA technically isn’t a official “operating” (crew) base yet for WN, is that going to change here soon?

WN ought to pony up some extra $ for the BNA Vision work if they are serious about expanding here.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm

ytib wrote:
ThaneC wrote:
Southwest has very big expansion plans for BNA after the completion of the new Concourse D. Negotiations with the airport authority and American Airlines to relocate AA gates are progressing. Ultimately the plan is for Southwest to have all the gates in both Concourses C&D.


They also have very large expansion plans for DEN, saying this week they want to add 100 flights with 16 new gates. With DAL and MDW constrained for growth, they are looking at new options for growth. The new gates in DEN will not be open until the end of 2020, and it is not known if Southwest will get the 16 gates they desire. We know MAX is limiting right now, but even after that is resolved there are still only so many aircraft. Thus with the big plans for expansion at DEN and BNA, somewhere else will need to have a little draw down.

Southwest Airlines hopes to make Denver its busiest airport with 100 new flights
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ew-flights


As they should. BNA and DEN should be their top growth stations for the next while.
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:18 pm

".... Tuesday 8/16/2019 Southwest Airlines executives were quietly checking out Denver as part of a company retreat.The get-together, which brought members of the Dallas-based airline’s sales, marketing, network planning and other commercial departments to town, is an annual event, according to Southwest Chief Revenue Officer Andrew Watterson. The team picks a market to visit where the airline is “contemplating an investment.” In 2018, the retreat was held in Hawaii before the airline launched service there earlier this year. The year before, it was San Jose as Southwest considered ways to expand flights to Silicon Valley."

Curious if WN has had similar event in Nashville....?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4151
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:38 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ThaneC wrote:
IND-BNA nonstop is badly needed.
I’m certain Southwest has that route planned as they continue to build up BNA.
Will have to wait until the 737-Max returns to get aircraft.


Other than ATL, which is a huge local market, WN has stayed away from sub-300 mile routes ex-BNA. I agree that the day trip is brutal (I've done it), but for any longer trip between Indianapolis and Nashville driving makes more sense for most passengers. Also keep in mind that while both Indianapolis and Nashville are strong and growing business markets, there's not that much overlap between their strengths.


As WN builds up BNA with more connections, I expect them to move IND-ATL to BNA.


Contour is supposedly planning to add IND-BNA sometime in the near future

With respect to sub-300 mile routes from BNA, most of the airports under 300 miles from BNA are quite small (SDF, BHM, GSP, e.t.c).

Looking at the O&D on STL-BNA(90-110 PDEW depending on the season) which is similar in distance to IND-BNA, I think BNA-IND could capture at least 50-60 PDEW if added by WN, which is only slightly below the O&D that WN currently captures on IND-ATL.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13993
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
With respect to sub-300 mile routes from BNA, most of the airports under 300 miles from BNA are quite small (SDF, BHM, GSP, e.t.c).

Looking at the O&D on STL-BNA(90-110 PDEW depending on the season) which is similar in distance to IND-BNA, I think BNA-IND could capture at least 50-60 PDEW if added by WN, which is only slightly below the O&D that WN currently captures on IND-ATL.


Interestingly, WN has done BNA-BHM/GSP in the not-so-distant past. BHM was a leftover from the Wright Amendment era and went away pretty quickly after the Wright Amendment did, but BNA-GSP was a new flight to a new WN station. And while I can't explain why (because the distance isn't that much different), I can tell you from doing both drives on a regular basis that BNA-IND feels a lot shorter than BNA-STL.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
CLJFlyer
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:28 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
OK...somewhat off topic but in regards to AA in Nashville. I'm flying them for the first time in 6 years BNA-DFW-BNA in October. Insanely cheap ticket after miles used. Has their service gotten any better or is it going to be a long two hours?


That’s my most flown route!

It will feel almost identical to Southwest but for about an inch less legroom, a biscoff or pretzels rather than peanuts, and more streaming entertainment (but less live TV). If you ask nicely they’ll still give you the full can of soda.


Thanks to all for the heads up. My last flight on AA in 2013 was BNA-DFW-SEA and back, and all legs were miserable. One good thing with this upcoming trip is my return flight is scheduled on a A321. Haven't flown many of those.



Speaking of this route...
I have family flying back to Seattle the day after Thanksgiving this year. Flying BNA-DFW-SEA. The BNA-DFW flight was supposed to leave around 7pm, and yesterday they received a notification of change of flight. They now leave on the 3pm flight.

Upon checking AA schedule for Nov 29, they have completely dropped the 7pm flight from BNA to DFW. I'm sure this is due to MAX cuts.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 pm

ytib wrote:
They also have very large expansion plans for DEN, saying this week they want to add 100 flights with 16 new gates. With DAL and MDW constrained for growth, they are looking at new options for growth. The new gates in DEN will not be open until the end of 2020, and it is not known if Southwest will get the 16 gates they desire. We know MAX is limiting right now, but even after that is resolved there are still only so many aircraft. Thus with the big plans for expansion at DEN and BNA, somewhere else will need to have a little draw down.


WN actually will have more room to expand at MDW with WN dropping MDW-EWR nonstop service, WN reducing MDW-IND to 1 daily nonstop, and WN reducing MDW-ORF to 1 daily nonstop.
Last edited by jplatts on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
reednavy
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 pm

jplatts wrote:
ytib wrote:
They also have very large expansion plans for DEN, saying this week they want to add 100 flights with 16 new gates. With DAL and MDW constrained for growth, they are looking at new options for growth. The new gates in DEN will not be open until the end of 2020, and it is not known if Southwest will get the 16 gates they desire. We know MAX is limiting right now, but even after that is resolved there are still only so many aircraft. Thus with the big plans for expansion at DEN and BNA, somewhere else will need to have a little draw down.


WN actually will have more room to expand at MDW with WN dropping MDW-EWR nonstop service, WN reducing MDW-IND to 1 daily nonstop, and WN reducing MDW-ORF to 1 daily nonstop.

WN is growing STL because MDW is just a pain in the ass and no room to grow, while Lambert can be all they could dream of for Midwest connecting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Just because I like to keep track of WN at BNA also

Jan release
Flights (YOY change)

Mon-Friday 115 (+14)
Sat 84
Sun 117 (+17)
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Other than ATL, which is a huge local market, WN has stayed away from sub-300 mile routes ex-BNA. I agree that the day trip is brutal (I've done it), but for any longer trip between Indianapolis and Nashville driving makes more sense for most passengers. Also keep in mind that while both Indianapolis and Nashville are strong and growing business markets, there's not that much overlap between their strengths.


As WN builds up BNA with more connections, I expect them to move IND-ATL to BNA.


Contour is supposedly planning to add IND-BNA sometime in the near future

With respect to sub-300 mile routes from BNA, most of the airports under 300 miles from BNA are quite small (SDF, BHM, GSP, e.t.c).

Looking at the O&D on STL-BNA(90-110 PDEW depending on the season) which is similar in distance to IND-BNA, I think BNA-IND could capture at least 50-60 PDEW if added by WN, which is only slightly below the O&D that WN currently captures on IND-ATL.


While O&D would certainly play a role, super short routes like IND-BNA would be primarily about connections. If we are to believe some of the things we've been hearing, it seems as if WN is in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could become a top station for them in the future, possibly on par with BWI, MDW, DEN, DAL, etc. Now, it's too early to know if that will be the case, but if indeed IND-ATL switches to IND-BNA at some point, it will be pretty clear why.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13993
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

As WN builds up BNA with more connections, I expect them to move IND-ATL to BNA.


Contour is supposedly planning to add IND-BNA sometime in the near future

With respect to sub-300 mile routes from BNA, most of the airports under 300 miles from BNA are quite small (SDF, BHM, GSP, e.t.c).

Looking at the O&D on STL-BNA(90-110 PDEW depending on the season) which is similar in distance to IND-BNA, I think BNA-IND could capture at least 50-60 PDEW if added by WN, which is only slightly below the O&D that WN currently captures on IND-ATL.


While O&D would certainly play a role, super short routes like IND-BNA would be primarily about connections. If we are to believe some of the things we've been hearing, it seems as if WN is in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could become a top station for them in the future, possibly on par with BWI, MDW, DEN, DAL, etc. Now, it's too early to know if that will be the case, but if indeed IND-ATL switches to IND-BNA at some point, it will be pretty clear why.


There is no evidence (as opposed to fanboy speculation) that WN is “in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could possibly become a top station for them in the future.”
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:43 am

Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Contour is supposedly planning to add IND-BNA sometime in the near future

With respect to sub-300 mile routes from BNA, most of the airports under 300 miles from BNA are quite small (SDF, BHM, GSP, e.t.c).

Looking at the O&D on STL-BNA(90-110 PDEW depending on the season) which is similar in distance to IND-BNA, I think BNA-IND could capture at least 50-60 PDEW if added by WN, which is only slightly below the O&D that WN currently captures on IND-ATL.


While O&D would certainly play a role, super short routes like IND-BNA would be primarily about connections. If we are to believe some of the things we've been hearing, it seems as if WN is in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could become a top station for them in the future, possibly on par with BWI, MDW, DEN, DAL, etc. Now, it's too early to know if that will be the case, but if indeed IND-ATL switches to IND-BNA at some point, it will be pretty clear why.


There is no evidence (as opposed to fanboy speculation) that WN is “in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could possibly become a top station for them in the future.”


There’s no concrete evidence yet, but the planning/moves being made by the airport would suggest a major WN expansion is on the horizon. Whether it will actually become a top station, I have no idea (notice the language I put surrounding my original statement), but given Nashville’s booming economy and geographical location in the country, it wouldn’t shock me.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 am

Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Contour is supposedly planning to add IND-BNA sometime in the near future

With respect to sub-300 mile routes from BNA, most of the airports under 300 miles from BNA are quite small (SDF, BHM, GSP, e.t.c).

Looking at the O&D on STL-BNA(90-110 PDEW depending on the season) which is similar in distance to IND-BNA, I think BNA-IND could capture at least 50-60 PDEW if added by WN, which is only slightly below the O&D that WN currently captures on IND-ATL.


While O&D would certainly play a role, super short routes like IND-BNA would be primarily about connections. If we are to believe some of the things we've been hearing, it seems as if WN is in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could become a top station for them in the future, possibly on par with BWI, MDW, DEN, DAL, etc. Now, it's too early to know if that will be the case, but if indeed IND-ATL switches to IND-BNA at some point, it will be pretty clear why.


There is no evidence (as opposed to fanboy speculation) that WN is “in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could possibly become a top station for them in the future.”


Then why are they going to be taking on additional gates post-BNA Vision? I think it will be quiet until concourse D is complete, and the MAX is back in the air. I am pretty sure they won't squat on gates to keep anyone else from expanding. It may never be as DEN or PHX, but it will be bigger than it currently is.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13993
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:08 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

While O&D would certainly play a role, super short routes like IND-BNA would be primarily about connections. If we are to believe some of the things we've been hearing, it seems as if WN is in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could become a top station for them in the future, possibly on par with BWI, MDW, DEN, DAL, etc. Now, it's too early to know if that will be the case, but if indeed IND-ATL switches to IND-BNA at some point, it will be pretty clear why.


There is no evidence (as opposed to fanboy speculation) that WN is “in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could possibly become a top station for them in the future.”


Then why are they going to be taking on additional gates post-BNA Vision? I think it will be quiet until concourse D is complete, and the MAX is back in the air. I am pretty sure they won't squat on gates to keep anyone else from expanding. It may never be as DEN or PHX, but it will be bigger than it currently is.


There’s certainly evidence that that it will be bigger, but it’s currently half the size of the big stations.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:13 am

Cubsrule wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

There is no evidence (as opposed to fanboy speculation) that WN is “in the very early stages of turning BNA into what could possibly become a top station for them in the future.”


Then why are they going to be taking on additional gates post-BNA Vision? I think it will be quiet until concourse D is complete, and the MAX is back in the air. I am pretty sure they won't squat on gates to keep anyone else from expanding. It may never be as DEN or PHX, but it will be bigger than it currently is.


There’s certainly evidence that that it will be bigger, but it’s currently half the size of the big stations.


Because it has half the amount of gates the big stations have. If/when WN takes all of C/D, they’ll have some significant space to grow in.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13993
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Then why are they going to be taking on additional gates post-BNA Vision? I think it will be quiet until concourse D is complete, and the MAX is back in the air. I am pretty sure they won't squat on gates to keep anyone else from expanding. It may never be as DEN or PHX, but it will be bigger than it currently is.


There’s certainly evidence that that it will be bigger, but it’s currently half the size of the big stations.


Because it has half the amount of gates the big stations have. If/when WN takes all of C/D, they’ll have some significant space to grow in.


I guess. But the airport is a decade or more from having somewhere else adequate for AA.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:27 pm

"...Will Rogers World Airport spokeswoman Karen Carney said the changes will allow for better connectivity for Oklahoma City travelers to Southwest Airlines' network, which include connections to the carrier's international stops. (via BNA)...Carney said 82% of passengers on the Southwest flights to Dallas were only on the flight to connect to another destination."

82% of pax on OKC-DAL flights were connecting......

Also saw a Twitter Post...BNA Airport Director was visiting WN HQ in DAL this past week..
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

There’s certainly evidence that that it will be bigger, but it’s currently half the size of the big stations.


Because it has half the amount of gates the big stations have. If/when WN takes all of C/D, they’ll have some significant space to grow in.


I guess. But the airport is a decade or more from having somewhere else adequate for AA.


It all depends on the timing of the A reconstruction. It sounds like they want to start it as soon as the current work is done, but it may depend on funding.

Indeed, Doug Kreulen was visiting WN’s HQ in Dallas this past week. I have to wonder what was discussed. Hopefully, WN can throw some money down to help pay for the BNA Vision work so it can be expedited.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13993
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
"...Will Rogers World Airport spokeswoman Karen Carney said the changes will allow for better connectivity for Oklahoma City travelers to Southwest Airlines' network, which include connections to the carrier's international stops. (via BNA)...Carney said 82% of passengers on the Southwest flights to Dallas were only on the flight to connect to another destination."

82% of pax on OKC-DAL flights were connecting......

Also saw a Twitter Post...BNA Airport Director was visiting WN HQ in DAL this past week..


Remember that OKC-DAL is a similar drive to BNA-SDF. That number doesn’t surprise me. I think OKC is the type of market that will support much of the BNA growth. It’s a decent-sized local market where a nonstop will both stimulate the O&D market and drive share to WN. As WN connects more dots to the south and west (OMA, OKC), it seems logical that we might see more dots connected to the north and east (BDL, PVD).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
"...Will Rogers World Airport spokeswoman Karen Carney said the changes will allow for better connectivity for Oklahoma City travelers to Southwest Airlines' network, which include connections to the carrier's international stops. (via BNA)...Carney said 82% of passengers on the Southwest flights to Dallas were only on the flight to connect to another destination."

82% of pax on OKC-DAL flights were connecting......

Also saw a Twitter Post...BNA Airport Director was visiting WN HQ in DAL this past week..


Remember that OKC-DAL is a similar drive to BNA-SDF. That number doesn’t surprise me. I think OKC is the type of market that will support much of the BNA growth. It’s a decent-sized local market where a nonstop will both stimulate the O&D market and drive share to WN. As WN connects more dots to the south and west (OMA, OKC), it seems logical that we might see more dots connected to the north and east (BDL, PVD).



"OKC to DAL = 206 miles; SDF-BNA = 175 miles.
The OKC route and others would not exist without the connections available at BNA via WN; there is not sufficient O&D today; it may grow but it would take a long time to support route with O&D alone. Am sure will get flamed from the fanboys who think this is some sort of anti Nashville post. It is not. The more routes like OKC that go to BNA supports the entire WN operation there making existing routes more profitable and eventually leading to more flights. WN has been growing at BNA. WN prob needs more gates to continue growth at BNA.

Not sure I agree that BNA will grow to be a 200+ station. WN has stated ATL is status quo for now. ATL has always had at least 2 major connecting carriers in its history. I don't see that changing. DEN is totally different market. The nearest major airport to Denver is 500+ miles away. There are 25+ major airports within 500 miles of BNA including ATL, ORD, CLT. Regardless, BNA is important and growing market for WN (and other carriers at BNA...specifically DL)
 
jplatts
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Not sure I agree that BNA will grow to be a 200+ station. WN has stated ATL is status quo for now. ATL has always had at least 2 major connecting carriers in its history. I don't see that changing. DEN is totally different market. The nearest major airport to Denver is 500+ miles away. There are 25+ major airports within 500 miles of BNA including ATL, ORD, CLT. Regardless, BNA is important and growing market for WN (and other carriers at BNA...specifically DL)


SLC is only 391 miles west of DEN, and DL has its major Western hub at SLC. WN also already serves SLC, even though WN has a much smaller presence at SLC than it does at DEN.
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm

jplatts wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Not sure I agree that BNA will grow to be a 200+ station. WN has stated ATL is status quo for now. ATL has always had at least 2 major connecting carriers in its history. I don't see that changing. DEN is totally different market. The nearest major airport to Denver is 500+ miles away. There are 25+ major airports within 500 miles of BNA including ATL, ORD, CLT. Regardless, BNA is important and growing market for WN (and other carriers at BNA...specifically DL)


SLC is only 391 miles west of DEN, and DL has its major Western hub at SLC. WN also already serves SLC, even though WN has a much smaller presence at SLC than it does at DEN.


"SLC is 519 miles west for driving"
 
jplatts
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
SLC is only 391 miles west of DEN, and DL has its major Western hub at SLC.


"SLC is 519 miles west for driving"


I agree with your point, and I also already understand that the driving distance between Denver and Salt Lake City is longer than the great circle distance between DEN and SLC.
 
HeyHey
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
"OKC to DAL = 206 miles; SDF-BNA = 175 miles.
The OKC route and others would not exist without the connections available at BNA via WN; there is not sufficient O&D today; it may grow but it would take a long time to support route with O&D alone. Am sure will get flamed from the fanboys who think this is some sort of anti Nashville post. It is not. The more routes like OKC that go to BNA supports the entire WN operation there making existing routes more profitable and eventually leading to more flights. WN has been growing at BNA. WN prob needs more gates to continue growth at BNA.


I think you are right on this. I seriously doubt BNA-OKC would generate the O&D numbers to justify a daily nonstop, but I'm fine with that. It will probably be lower than the 82% connecting on OKC-DAL since almost no one drives OKC-BNA, but there will still be a very strong connecting percentage. This is the benefit of having a "hub" in your city, although I understand that WN doesn't call BNA a hub. For the Nashville business community this is great. We get nonstop traffic to cities that Nashville alone couldn't support, and the same thing happens in CLT, ATL, DEN and other focus cities/hubs. Those regions enjoy the ability to have flights that the cities themselves couldn't support, and Nashville is beginning to enjoy those same benefits. I am really looking forward to having these secondary and tertiary cities connected to BNA nonstop, and it will also mean increased frequency to the large airports around the country as well.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:10 pm

HeyHey wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
"OKC to DAL = 206 miles; SDF-BNA = 175 miles.
The OKC route and others would not exist without the connections available at BNA via WN; there is not sufficient O&D today; it may grow but it would take a long time to support route with O&D alone. Am sure will get flamed from the fanboys who think this is some sort of anti Nashville post. It is not. The more routes like OKC that go to BNA supports the entire WN operation there making existing routes more profitable and eventually leading to more flights. WN has been growing at BNA. WN prob needs more gates to continue growth at BNA.


I think you are right on this. I seriously doubt BNA-OKC would generate the O&D numbers to justify a daily nonstop, but I'm fine with that. It will probably be lower than the 82% connecting on OKC-DAL since almost no one drives OKC-BNA, but there will still be a very strong connecting percentage. This is the benefit of having a "hub" in your city, although I understand that WN doesn't call BNA a hub. For the Nashville business community this is great. We get nonstop traffic to cities that Nashville alone couldn't support, and the same thing happens in CLT, ATL, DEN and other focus cities/hubs. Those regions enjoy the ability to have flights that the cities themselves couldn't support, and Nashville is beginning to enjoy those same benefits. I am really looking forward to having these secondary and tertiary cities connected to BNA nonstop, and it will also mean increased frequency to the large airports around the country as well.


Agreed, I think the whole connecting vs O&D numbers is ultimately irrelevant. Bottom line is, WN seems intent on investing in BNA and that's all that matters. It may not be a hub in the same sense the US3 hub, but signs sure are pointing to BNA being elevated to official base status which will mean more connections.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:14 pm

https://twitter.com/DougKreulen/status/ ... 13602?s=20 Here's Doug's visit to WN HQ. I doubt he was just visiting to see some friends. I wonder if some plans were discussed....

Been mentioned before, but I think these are logical, first hand additions WN should add from BNA...
IND
BDL
PBI
PDX
ABQ
RIC
GSP(possibly)
SLC
DSM(possibly)
GRR just because of all the Michigan transplants that have moved to Middle TN over the years....
MEM (far fetched, but if they're gonna truly turn it into a "hub," you could funnel a good amount of traffic through BNA.)

Other Additions.

AA-PHX (We'll see about this one)
WS-YVR
AC-YUL
G4- Who knows
NK - DFW, DTW
LF - IND, other EAS contracts
UA - frequency additions
DL - CDG, and who else knows...

Not too distant future...
Volaris to MEX
Someone else to a European city....
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
https://twitter.com/DougKreulen/status/1162386359010713602?s=20 Here's Doug's visit to WN HQ. I doubt he was just visiting to see some friends. I wonder if some plans were discussed....

Been mentioned before, but I think these are logical, first hand additions WN should add from BNA...
IND
PBI
PDX
ABQ
RIC
GSP(possibly)
SLC
DSM(possibly)
GRR just because of all the Michigan transplants that have moved to Middle TN over the years....


Yeah, you don't just walk into WN's HQ just to say hi. It's pretty obvious he was there on official business.

It wouldn't surprise me if WN made a similar visit to BNA next year like they did to DEN this year.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
https://twitter.com/DougKreulen/status/1162386359010713602?s=20 Here's Doug's visit to WN HQ. I doubt he was just visiting to see some friends. I wonder if some plans were discussed....

Been mentioned before, but I think these are logical, first hand additions WN should add from BNA...
IND
PBI
PDX
ABQ
RIC
GSP(possibly)
SLC
DSM(possibly)
GRR just because of all the Michigan transplants that have moved to Middle TN over the years....


Yeah, you don't just walk into WN's HQ just to say hi. It's pretty obvious he was there on official business.

It wouldn't surprise me if WN made a similar visit to BNA next year like they did to DEN this year.


A crew base, and maintenance hangar will probably come into fruition...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
jplatts
Posts: 2772
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
NK - DFW, DTW


In addition to BNA-DFW and BNA-DTW, NK adding BNA-ORD is also a possibility as BNA is a major leisure destination and ORD is one of NK's largest stations.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
https://twitter.com/DougKreulen/status/1162386359010713602?s=20 Here's Doug's visit to WN HQ. I doubt he was just visiting to see some friends. I wonder if some plans were discussed....

Been mentioned before, but I think these are logical, first hand additions WN should add from BNA...
IND
PBI
PDX
ABQ
RIC
GSP(possibly)
SLC
DSM(possibly)
GRR just because of all the Michigan transplants that have moved to Middle TN over the years....


Yeah, you don't just walk into WN's HQ just to say hi. It's pretty obvious he was there on official business.

It wouldn't surprise me if WN made a similar visit to BNA next year like they did to DEN this year.


A crew base, and maintenance hangar will probably come into fruition...


Not sure where a hangar will go, plus, don't they have one in ATL already?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:04 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Yeah, you don't just walk into WN's HQ just to say hi. It's pretty obvious he was there on official business.

It wouldn't surprise me if WN made a similar visit to BNA next year like they did to DEN this year.


A crew base, and maintenance hangar will probably come into fruition...


Not sure where a hangar will go, plus, don't they have one in ATL already?


They do have one in ATL, but you could put it next to runway 31 across from where Embraer is set up.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 am

Anyone heard what gate NK will use? My first guess is that they’re gonna share A1 with Air Canada.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
Friendlyflier
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:53 am

I heard from an airport driver who picked up Doug that he was there negotiating for all the C and D gates when opened. Does that seem feasible?

I’d also add LIT to the list of potential service additions to By WN.

First post!
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Friendlyflier wrote:
I heard from an airport driver who picked up Doug that he was there negotiating for all the C and D gates when opened. Does that seem feasible?

I’d also add LIT to the list of potential service additions to By WN.

First post!


WN can’t take all of C until A is rebuilt, because AA and he Admirals Club would have nowhere to go.

I’m wondering if he was also there to negotiate for WN to help pay for more of the BNA Vision, and to pay for the proposed 3 gate addition on to D which would be for WN only.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos