gsg013

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 am

reednavy wrote:
BA's 789 is on its way in to kick off daily service. Exciting times as always for this booming place.

Very exciting believe F class will be popular with music stars going too and from London and beyond.... Can anyone give a breakdown on what typical First class fares are looking like on this flight with 787-9?

bnatraveler

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Has anyone noticed that as of the last few weeks that there have been numerous general departure delays? They have ranged from short (from this AM below), to 30-44 minutes. I wouldn't expect that we have airfield or airspace issues, unless it is something related to construction in the "pit". Any further thoughts/feedback?

General Departure Delays: at [BNA] Due to [ VOL:Volume ] traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 15 minutes and 29 minutes in length and increasing.

southwest1675

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:16 pm

bnatraveler wrote:
Has anyone noticed that as of the last few weeks that there have been numerous general departure delays? They have ranged from short (from this AM below), to 30-44 minutes. I wouldn't expect that we have airfield or airspace issues, unless it is something related to construction in the "pit". Any further thoughts/feedback?

General Departure Delays: at [BNA] Due to [ VOL:Volume ] traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 15 minutes and 29 minutes in length and increasing.

I haven’t noticed too many delays.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

gsg013

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:41 pm

bnatraveler wrote:

I had a bad departure delay a few weeks back was flying private on a Thursday night they were using the crosswind runway in heavy rain and winds only 1 runway was open (about 8 PM or so) had to wait about 35 min in line to take off

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm still wondering how the new IAB with 6 gates will be utilized. Yes, BNA is growing, but we'll never need 6 international gates. I'm thinking at least 4 will be common use, or at least possibly utilized by DL/AA since they're losing gates. With regards to new air service, the only domestic carrier we're missing is Spirit and possibly Via Air. For all we know, the MNAA might be happy with just WN dominating the domestic markets for the coming years. From reliable sources, the plan for WN is to take all of D, and possibly give back C13/14 to AA since American will be losing C2, and C3 to the new IAB. August 2020 is when WN is supposed to move into D. They're starting to pick up the pace on construction of the new Concourse D.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

flymco753

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:05 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I'm still wondering how the new IAB with 6 gates will be utilized. Yes, BNA is growing, but we'll never need 6 international gates. I'm thinking at least 4 will be common use, or at least possibly utilized by DL/AA since they're losing gates. With regards to new air service, the only domestic carrier we're missing is Spirit and possibly Via Air. For all we know, the MNAA might be happy with just WN dominating the domestic markets for the coming years. From reliable sources, the plan for WN is to take all of D, and possibly give back C13/14 to AA since American will be losing C2, and C3 to the new IAB. August 2020 is when WN is supposed to move into D. They're starting to pick up the pace on construction of the new Concourse D.
That's disappointing to hear particularly because I believe BNA is a large hole in Spirit's network. If there's no new gates that they'll be able to use, the issue of constraints remains present.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:09 pm

flymco753 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
That's disappointing to hear particularly because I believe BNA is a large hole in Spirit's network. If there's no new gates that they'll be able to use, the issue of constraints remains present.

We'll see soon how the new airport will be configured. Much of BNA Vision rumblings are just speculation. NK would do well in Nashville. As stated many times before, they'd be here by now if BNA had a gate, or space for a ticket counter for them. If they really wanted to, AA would be fine losing another slice of counter space, and they could share Air Canada's low utilized gate.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:18 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

We'll see soon how the new airport will be configured. Much of BNA Vision rumblings are just speculation. NK would do well in Nashville. As stated many times before, they'd be here by now if BNA had a gate, or space for a ticket counter for them. If they really wanted to, AA would be fine losing another slice of counter space, and they could share Air Canada's low utilized gate.

NK will be here as soon as the D/ticketing construction is done, if not sooner. There is no way MNAA simply allows WN to expand without giving room to new carriers. NK’s biggest hole is BNA, they have to be coming soon.

Fargo

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:21 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

I think the new international gates will be swing, so they’ll be available for domestic use as well. It’s nice to have maximum flexibility.

Also, I have heard two airline clubs will be built along with the new IAB. I wonder if they will be new ones or relocated Admirals and Sky Clubs. I hope one of them is a United Club.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:21 pm

I know they currently have plans to tear down the current/interim IAB, but unless they're gonna go through with a plan to eventually turn the end of A into an L shape, I think the current IAB could be converted to regular use gates. 2 extra gates is prime real estate.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dfdubflyer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Would it be possible for all of D to be CUTE?

Fargo

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I know they currently have plans to tear down the current/interim IAB, but unless they're gonna go through with a plan to eventually turn the end of A into an L shape, I think the current IAB could be converted to regular use gates. 2 extra gates is prime real estate.

While not set in stone, it is fairly likely they are going to demolish/rebuild all of A into a L shaped concourse with an additional 9-10 gates. This is the favored concept in the master plan.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:30 pm

As far as the current concourses go, I've heard all of the windows with that greenish hue tint or whatever will be replaced, new signs, new floors, and new ceilings will be installed to match the rest of the new airport. Also, there are supposedly plans to paint the exterior of the current terminal to a somewhat light gray. I gotta start taking some pictures of everything, since it'll all be unrecognizable by 2024. Wish more people had some pics of the AA hub era. Not too many out there.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

flymco753

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

NK will be here as soon as the D/ticketing construction is done, if not sooner. There is no way MNAA simply allows WN to expand without giving room to new carriers. NK’s biggest hole is BNA, they have to be coming soon.
I agree, and after seeing what they did with RDU and AUS, it's possible that NK would do a blockbuster type addition into BNA flying to EWR, BOS, BWI, MYR, MCO, FLL, RSW, TPA, & LAS to start.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I agree, and after seeing what they did with RDU and AUS, it's possible that NK would do a blockbuster type addition into BNA flying to EWR, BOS, BWI, MYR, MCO, FLL, RSW, TPA, & LAS to start.

Maybe that's why they're currently sitting back. Waiting for some room to start an operation like that.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

runner13

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:00 pm

bnatraveler wrote:

On the ATC side of things we’re not doing this. We don’t even have gate hold procedures. Now our staffing is absolutely horrible and at times we are denying VFR services when we are completely swamped but it’s only for a few minutes when we do have to do that. The ramp has become a nightmare in the mornings and during peak hours. I have heard that the MNAA operations office has been moved out of the old ramp tower. What that means I don’t know but I think a ramp tower will have to happen sooner rather than later. Especially with the Summer taxiway closures the ramp is going to become gridlocked!!!

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:09 pm

runner13 wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:

On the ATC side of things we’re not doing this. We don’t even have gate hold procedures. Now our staffing is absolutely horrible and at times we are denying VFR services when we are completely swamped but it’s only for a few minutes when we do have to do that. The ramp has become a nightmare in the mornings and during peak hours. I have heard that the MNAA operations office has been moved out of the old ramp tower. What that means I don’t know but I think a ramp tower will have to happen sooner rather than later. Especially with the Summer taxiway closures the ramp is going to become gridlocked!!!

Plus with the new D Concourse opening, you would think the ramp would be controlled again.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Cubsrule

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:11 pm

gsg013 wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:

I had a bad departure delay a few weeks back was flying private on a Thursday night they were using the crosswind runway in heavy rain and winds only 1 runway was open (about 8 PM or so) had to wait about 35 min in line to take off

In the mornings and evenings, the airport can't operate on just one runway without delays. So when the northwest winds kick up, things get nasty. They've gotten better at sequencing aircraft lately so there are fewer missed approaches than there were 2 or 3 years ago in this configuration, but there's still plenty of holding for both departing and arriving aircraft.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

runner13

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
runner13 wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:

Plus with the new D Concourse opening, you would think the ramp would be controlled again.

In my opinion they would have to. With all the 737’s tail to tail between C and D there is room for one in one out. And we can’t see that alley from the tower so we wouldn’t be able to accurately give instructions.

AviationGeek78

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

We won't see Via Air. They can barely hold it together as is, you could argue they are on life support. And I do not see them trying to go head to head with Contour, Nashville's hometown airline. Also, Contour just took over their WV operation out of CLT.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:27 pm

AviationGeek78 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

We won't see Via Air. They can barely hold it together as is, you could argue they are on life support. And I do not see them trying to go head to head with Contour, Nashville's hometown airline. Also, Contour just took over their WV operation out of CLT.

A Contour BNA expansion wouldn't surprise me. Like mentioned earlier, there have been rumors just of that.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

antoniemey

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:34 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
runner13 wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:

Even if the airport doesn't, it would behoove WN to do some ramp control, since they'll reportedly have that entire cul-de-sac.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

southwest1675

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:42 am

“Contact Southwest Ramp.”
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

bnatraveler

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Big delay that didn't last long..

0945CT
Due to [ OTHER / OTHER ] there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving [ Nashville International Airport(BNA) ]. This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 38 minutes..

0950CT
The Ground Delay Program due to [ OTHER / OTHER ] to airport [ BNA ] was cancelled at [ 04/1447 Zulu ].

southwest1675

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm

They’re starting Concourse D demolition tonight. C4 will still be used.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 am

New to this thread. Haven't had an account on airliners.Net in the past 16 years. Worked at BNA from a 1986 to 2003. Have been following the Nashville thread for over a year or two. Basically signed up again because I had some questions and wanted to post some pictures that I took from September 11th 2001.
First question I will ask is does anybody know why a UPS MD-11 diverted to BNA. It was a flight from HOU to SDF a few days ago. Probably about 2:30 or 3 AM.?

runner13

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:19 am

InopGauge wrote:
New to this thread. Haven't had an account on airliners.Net in the past 16 years. Worked at BNA from a 1986 to 2003. Have been following the Nashville thread for over a year or two. Basically signed up again because I had some questions and wanted to post some pictures that I took from September 11th 2001.
First question I will ask is does anybody know why a UPS MD-11 diverted to BNA. It was a flight from HOU to SDF a few days ago. Probably about 2:30 or 3 AM.?

Welcome!! I was wondering the same thing. I’ll see what I can find out tomorrow at work. I would love to hear stories from back in the hub days and see pics from 9/11. I look forward to your contributions.

southwest1675

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 am

InopGauge wrote:

Would love to see some pictures as well.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks for the welcome y'all! Please keep in mind that I am a little bit of a procrastinator but I'll get some pics up there. Kind of have to relearn this website also. The photos will probably be grainy because digital cameras we're just getting to the affordable stage and cell phones were years away from having cameras on them. But I know I love seeing photos of the Nashville Airport no matter how grainy they might be.
I'm nowhere near a professional photographer but I've got some pretty good shots of a China Airlines 747 I had just finished fueling and it was 6 hours late that day so the sun was already up by the time it was leaving which worked a lot better with my crummy camera.
My late teens to my mid-thirties was definitely a very interesting chapter in my life. I really enjoyed working at the airport (One year at the old airport and all the rest at the new one). Lots of good memories and I remember them almost as if it was yesterday.

InopGauge

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Some pictures of BNA on 9/11. Sorry for the poor quality.
https://ibb.co/album/kLJKQa

southwest1675

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm

InopGauge wrote:

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

runner13

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:42 pm

InopGauge wrote:

Those are great! Talk about a blast of old liveries and airlines!

southwest1675

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 pm

InopGauge, do you happen to have any photos of the AA hub?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

InopGauge

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:21 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
InopGauge, do you happen to have any photos of the AA hub?

Unfortunately I don't think I do. I know I don't have any in a digital format. If smartphones would have been invented earlier I would have had a ton of them. Somewhere I have a couple of photo albums filled with pictures I took in my teens before I ever started working at the airport, including pictures I took at BNA, ATL, MCO, FLL, MIA and a few more. If I can find that photo album I'll try to pull out some good ones and see if I can get a digital picture of them. I know somewhere I've got a picture of the Concorde parked on the ramp by the old control tower.
I have video of the AA Hub in progress that was shot from the air when I took my dad up to fly with me for the first time after getting my PPL. That was shot on Super 8 film so it's not going to do as much good. LOL

InopGauge

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Here's a few more random pictures from BNA in 2001.
https://ibb.co/album/jhTQyv

AviationGeek78

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:42 pm

InopGauge wrote:
Here's a few more random pictures from BNA in 2001.
https://ibb.co/album/jhTQyv

Loving the pics!

southwest1675

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 pm

In my opinion, BNA TSA is the best. Friendly faces, and efficient. Haven’t seen that from TSA at other airports I’ve been to.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dafunk10

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 am

southwest1675 wrote:
In my opinion, BNA TSA is the best. Friendly faces, and efficient. Haven’t seen that from TSA at other airports I’ve been to.

I travel through a lot of airports, and I have to agree. BNA TSA has an outstanding team.

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 am

BNA-ATL is going all B739 starting in September
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Fargo

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:10 am

Midwestindy wrote:

Is this just a filler or is this the actual schedule?

Also, is BNA-MSP going all 717 this summer?

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:57 am

Fargo wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Not a filler, it looks like DL is trying to beef up their ATL service
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Fargo

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:05 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I see MSP going all 717 over the summer, which would put BNA at all mainline to DL hubs except JFK and LGA. Isn’t IND the same way?

Interesting to see DL expand a bit here despite being close to ATL. I wonder if one of the two airline lounges going in the new international terminal at BNA will be a bigger Sky Club?

dafunk10

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:00 am

Fargo wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I see MSP going all 717 over the summer, which would put BNA at all mainline to DL hubs except JFK and LGA. Isn’t IND the same way?

Interesting to see DL expand a bit here despite being close to ATL. I wonder if one of the two airline lounges going in the new international terminal at BNA will be a bigger Sky Club?

I sure hope an expanded/renovated SC is in the works. The current setup gets *very* crammed during peak hours and reminds of a glorified doctors office waiting room.

southwest1675

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 am

I still think DL adding BNA-CDG isn’t out of the question. It would more than likely be on a trusty old 763.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 am

What happened to the all mainline schedule on BNA-DFW. It seems they’ve reduced the frequency to 7x daily and are now running a CR7 permanently on the last departure.

dafunk10

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I still think DL adding BNA-CDG isn’t out of the question. It would more than likely be on a trusty old 763.

Would prefer AMS but would be awesome for either!

Delta28L

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:24 pm

ATL is close by so I don’t think delta would want ATL and BNA to compete for passengers for transatlantic flights. Can BNA even support two transatlantic flights with BA already operating?

Fargo

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Delta28L wrote:
ATL is close by so I don’t think delta would want ATL and BNA to compete for passengers for transatlantic flights. Can BNA even support two transatlantic flights with BA already operating?

Yes, or at least they will be able to in a few years. The biggest obstacle to BNA getting additional TATL service is the FIS is undersized and can’t handle multiple widebodies well (and nothing larger than a 787). BNA needs the new IAB ASAP so it can properly handle widebody planes and can process multiple flights at once better.

EvanWSFO

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Delta28L wrote:

Seasonal perhaps. However as is stated, until the new IAB is complete, TATL flights will likely be limited given they all arrive and depart in roughly the same time period.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

gsg013

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Fargo wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I can only wish but I would love to see some DL mainline service on BNA-NYC.. I know they are trying to keep the yields high with the RJ frequency offered. In my dreams LGA-BNA would be on the A220-100.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos