gsg013

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 2:04 pm

What makes DL so strong in BNA is the proximity to ATL and the hourly flight. its so easy to get in and out of BNA tacking on the 38 min flight is a no brainer to be able to get to anywhere in the world mostly one stop. (Occasionally 2 stops for smaller cities or deep asia).

Fargo

Sun May 05, 2019 3:16 pm

gsg013 wrote:
What makes DL so strong in BNA is the proximity to ATL and the hourly flight. its so easy to get in and out of BNA tacking on the 38 min flight is a no brainer to be able to get to anywhere in the world mostly one stop. (Occasionally 2 stops for smaller cities or deep asia).

Which is why it would be dumb to start p2p flying like RDU. ATL is super convenient from BNA that there really isn’t a need for a full focus city here. A bigger club and TATL service on the other hand? Absolutely.

southwest1675

Sun May 05, 2019 5:39 pm

And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

Fargo

Sun May 05, 2019 6:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.

And the club expansion hasn't even been officially announced. In fairness, I've been hearing about this even before the club news came about; the user winginit told (or more like insisted) to me a while back that BNA, along with AUS, BOS and RDU are DL's focus cities of the future. I don't know if I believe BNA will be a true focus city, but TATL service I could see.

DL can't really do much right now with the amount of gates they have. And more wouldn't even be available until Concourse A is rebuilt.

southwest1675

Sun May 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

And the club expansion hasn't even been officially announced. In fairness, I've been hearing about this even before the club news came about; the user winginit told (or more like insisted) to me a while back that BNA, along with AUS, BOS and RDU are DL's focus cities of the future. I don't know if I believe BNA will be a true focus city, but TATL service I could see.

DL can't really do much right now with the amount of gates they have. And more wouldn't even be available until Concourse A is rebuilt.

They’ll also be losing 2, maybe even 3 gates to the new IAB. I’ve said it before, but I’m quite curious how the airport is all gonna be set up. Nothing has been set official yet, but the MNAA has pretty much said A will be extended to some media sources. BNA doesn’t need 6 international gates. I’m thinking the IAB will be common use or even picked up by DL. The top level for domestic, and lower level for international processing. I know rumors are rumors, but it’s pretty much set in stone that WN will have all of D by Summer/Fall 2020. They might be giving back C13/C14 to AA. With the new expanded A later down the road, I think you’ll see the rest of C occupied by Herb’s airline one day. BNA has been a focus market of theirs for years now, but WN will take it to the likes of MDW and BWI if you ask me. They’re really picking up with construction, and I’ve started taking shots of the terminal. It’s crazy to think this will all soon be unrecognizable.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

Midwestindy

Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Not to be "that guy," but SJC has been mentioned as a focus city too...

When they say focus city they aren't talking about CVG and RDU type focus cities, but more like this model (here are a few explanations I have heard) :

"These are cities that are underserved and are not a hub for competitors. In short order, we add ~20 non-stops per peak day (often only 1 flight to many hubs) and a transatlantic flight to CDG, AMS or LHR. Can't talk specifics on this open forum. Think of large cities, near competitor hubs that we currently have only 4x service each day to a couple of our hubs. Austin would fit that description and we have already announced increased service. There are at least 6 others that are being considered. You will see AMS flights to new cities announced later this Fall."

"Focus cities are an ongoing initiative to "fill in" our network holes. This will last several years at least. The lengthy duration is driven by lack of airframes. That will be solved in the coming years."

""“Focus City” designation needs several conditions to be satisfied.

- Business traffic potential. Cities with Fortune 500 HQs are targets.

- Near competitor’s hubs.

- No current Transatlantic or Transpacific service.

- Current flights with DL limited mostly to DL hubs.

If the analysis shows good business potential with flights to either LHR, AMS or CDG, then we solicit local $$$$$ to indemnify the inaugural year or so. If we get this, then we rapidly build up point-to-point service to further bolster the oceanic flight, which is the lynchpin to the concept.

There are still 4 or 5 cities that are on the short list. Time will tell."

"Focus cities are underserved cities, that have maybe 5-10 RJ flts to our hubs. We then remove much of the RJs, and add approx 20 point to point flights. Most not thru our hubs. Focus cities need to have serious Fortune 500 business travelers to become one.

San Jose, CA may be next. Expect to hear about a AMS flight from there next Summer.
Overall maybe 50-60 flights at max."
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

Lexy

Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Whatever happens will happen. At the end of the day, I drive by downtown and count 20+ tower cranes erecting buildings between 10 and 40 floors. The demand will eventually dictate what air service is needed. Not many cities can truly boast that.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Fargo

Sun May 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Not to be "that guy," but SJC has been mentioned as a focus city too...

When they say focus city they aren't talking about CVG and RDU type focus cities, but more like this model (here are a few explanations I have heard) :

"These are cities that are underserved and are not a hub for competitors. In short order, we add ~20 non-stops per peak day (often only 1 flight to many hubs) and a transatlantic flight to CDG, AMS or LHR. Can't talk specifics on this open forum. Think of large cities, near competitor hubs that we currently have only 4x service each day to a couple of our hubs. Austin would fit that description and we have already announced increased service. There are at least 6 others that are being considered. You will see AMS flights to new cities announced later this Fall."

"Focus cities are an ongoing initiative to "fill in" our network holes. This will last several years at least. The lengthy duration is driven by lack of airframes. That will be solved in the coming years."

""“Focus City” designation needs several conditions to be satisfied.

- Business traffic potential. Cities with Fortune 500 HQs are targets.

- Near competitor’s hubs.

- No current Transatlantic or Transpacific service.

- Current flights with DL limited mostly to DL hubs.

If the analysis shows good business potential with flights to either LHR, AMS or CDG, then we solicit local $$$$$ to indemnify the inaugural year or so. If we get this, then we rapidly build up point-to-point service to further bolster the oceanic flight, which is the lynchpin to the concept.

There are still 4 or 5 cities that are on the short list. Time will tell."

"Focus cities are underserved cities, that have maybe 5-10 RJ flts to our hubs. We then remove much of the RJs, and add approx 20 point to point flights. Most not thru our hubs. Focus cities need to have serious Fortune 500 business travelers to become one.

San Jose, CA may be next. Expect to hear about a AMS flight from there next Summer.
Overall maybe 50-60 flights at max."

No you are fine, I like your insights. So if I am reading this right, it sounds like DL is targeting specific markets and increasing hub service plus adding TATL service and maybe few p2p flights (but not to CVG/RDU levels). This sounds reasonable, and I believe this is the model they are following in places like IND, BNA, SJC, etc.

AUS on the other hand.......... the problem with the above is that is not in line with what I've been hearing what's happening there. In AUS, I have consistently heard that as soon as the new gates open, they plan to gradually elevate it to the same level as CVG/RDU over the course of the next few years due to Texas's isolation from the DL network. In fact, I heard AUS-based SkyMiles members got a survey not too long ago asking about potential nonstop flights. Furthermore, the following article hinted at DL TATL service being added fairly soon at AUS.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/04/24/we-are-already-behind-what-businesses-can-do-to.html

Jshank83

Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 am

^I agree with your AUS point. I think no Texas hub/focus city hurts DL. If I want to fly to Texas on DL I have to go way out of the way to get there so I'll fly someone else. I think they could benefit from having a city down there with at least a RDU level operation. Fly to the cities inside the ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC circle so they don't have to backtrack as much.

Fargo

Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 am

Jshank83 wrote:
^I agree with your AUS point. I think no Texas hub/focus city hurts DL. If I want to fly to Texas on DL I have to go way out of the way to get there so I'll fly someone else. I think they could benefit from having a city down there with at least a RDU level operation. Fly to the cities inside the ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC circle so they don't have to backtrack as much.

:checkmark:

Last point on this since this is a BNA thread, but you hit the nail on the head. DL has little to no convenient options for Texas-bound travelers if you live anywhere in the central part of the country. Furthermore, it has no convenient options for E/W connections in Texas and the south central US. Given Texas's huge economy (second largest in the nation and 10th in the world) and their population boom (they could be rivaling or even surpassing CA by the 2050's), I think DL realizes they have to do something there. Not necessarily compete on the same level as AA at DFW or UA at IAH, but gain some meaningful presence. AUS is their opportunity to do so.

Back to BNA now.....

Craiger88

Mon May 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Yesterday was a new record setting day for passengers screened at BNA with a total of 29,731 screened.

https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-m ... ecord.aspx

southwest1675

Fri May 10, 2019 6:16 pm

I wonder when we’ll hear another air service announcement.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

EvanWSFO

Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

Me too. It's been really quiet this spring.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

gsg013

Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Hopefully! maybe the quiet before the storm of new routes is unleashed! ( from what I am hearing DL TALT to AMS will the next big splash... you heard it here first).

Fargo

Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm

gsg013 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Hopefully! maybe the quiet before the storm of new routes is unleashed! ( from what I am hearing DL TALT to AMS will the next big splash... you heard it here first).

AMS and not CDG? Interesting. I wonder what the frequency would be?

I would be surprised if it was announced this year because the expanded Sky Club isn’t ready and it’s still a bit soon after BA launched.

southwest1675

Thu May 16, 2019 12:36 am

I stated it earlier, but Doug said more announcements are coming. Don’t expect much from WN until the MAX is figured out.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

Fargo

Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 am

southwest1675 wrote:
I stated it earlier, but Doug said more announcements are coming. Don’t expect much from WN until the MAX is figured out.

I think I was the one who originally stated it, lol. I'm would like to see NK and another TATL flight in the near future. I'd rather have LH to FRA, but I'll take DL to AMS.

Can DL add a TATL flight with the current IAB setup? Would it have to arrive/depart before or after BA?

southwest1675

Thu May 16, 2019 2:02 am

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I think I was the one who originally stated it, lol. I'm would like to see NK and another TATL flight in the near future. I'd rather have LH to FRA, but I'll take DL to AMS.

Can DL add a TATL flight with the current IAB setup? Would it have to arrive/depart before or after BA?

I expect NK sometime during the BNA Vision Process. As far as the current IAB, I don’t see why another flight couldn’t utilize the facilities. Saturday’s could get tricky with the Cancun flights, but BA seems to move their flight out of the way pretty quickly. I would assume DL’s assumed TATL flight could arrive shortly after BA is due to tow.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

SunsetLimited

Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 am

Can anyone in BNA confirm if BA is going back to 4X weekly 788 for the winter season? I guess it could go either way - part of me suspects though that the winter schedules have simply not been finalized.
Spread hope like fire.

Fargo

Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I expect NK sometime during the BNA Vision Process. As far as the current IAB, I don’t see why another flight couldn’t utilize the facilities. Saturday’s could get tricky with the Cancun flights, but BA seems to move their flight out of the way pretty quickly. I would assume DL’s assumed TATL flight could arrive shortly after BA is due to tow.

I would imagine a hypothetical AMS flight would arrive/depart before BA does, since BA doesn’t leave until the 8 pm hour, it would be pretty late otherwise. Just as long as it’s timed well for connections.

dfdubflyer
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
Can anyone in BNA confirm if BA is going back to 4X weekly 788 for the winter season? I guess it could go either way - part of me suspects though that the winter schedules have simply not been finalized.

I had a LHR-BNA award flight on 11/20 and BA emailed me about ya weeks ago saying they were no longer operating a flight that day.

Fargo

Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I had a LHR-BNA award flight on 11/20 and BA emailed me about ya weeks ago saying they were no longer operating a flight that day.

But has the fall schedule been finalized yet? I think it would be odd for them to go to 4x weekly after being daily for the summer.

SeanM1997

Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 am

Fargo wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

But has the fall schedule been finalized yet? I think it would be odd for them to go to 4x weekly after being daily for the summer.

British Airways confirmed yesterday that its London Heathrow to Nashville route will operate 4x weekly in Winter 2019, with day changes. The route will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 27 October 2019

Fargo

Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

British Airways confirmed yesterday that its London Heathrow to Nashville route will operate 4x weekly in Winter 2019, with day changes. The route will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 27 October 2019

Interesting. Will it be on the 788 or 789 and is this due to aircraft availability?

BNA probably isn’t ready for AMS service if it can’t see LHR at at least 5x weekly year round.

EvanWSFO

Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 pm

gsg013 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

AMS would be better for connections for sure. However, isn't it basically maxed out? Would DL use a slot to a secondary, albeit growing city?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Fargo

Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
gsg013 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

AMS would be better for connections for sure. However, isn't it basically maxed out? Would DL use a slot to a secondary, albeit growing city?

They do to PDX, MCO and TPA, so I guess BNA could join.

However, I’m not sure if this would be a year round flight. If BA can only make BNA work 4x week during the winter months, I doubt AMS could work during that same time.

southwest1675

Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 pm

As far as BA’s reduced service, I’m sure there are other factors like fleet utilization that come into play. The flight does well overall.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

southwest1675

Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 am

Hypothetically speaking, do you think BNA would make a better hub for AA than CLT? Curious what other’s thoughts on this are.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

jplatts

Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, do you think BNA would make a better hub for AA than CLT? Curious what other’s thoughts on this are.

One advantage of BNA over CLT is that BNA is in a better geographical location than CLT is for connections to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle from the Midwest (and vice versa).

WN already offers connections to several Gulf Coast destinations such as HOU, MSY, PNS, ECP, and TPA from some WN destinations in the Midwest through BNA. DL also already offers connections to most of the destinations along the Gulf Coast from the Midwest through its main ATL hub.

CLT is in a good geographical location for connections to the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Eastern North Carolina from Southeastern destinations west of the CLT hub. AA also has nonstop service out of CLT to some small regional destinations in Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia that aren't served by DL or UA.

CLT is the 2nd largest hub for AA after its main DFW hub, and AA's CLT hub operation is too big to be moved over to BNA.

dafunk10

Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am

Airport finally posted March and April numbers....about 1.5M each month....15% growth over prior year and 80% LF....18M seems likely this year

dfdubflyer
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 10:55 am

I hope that the reason they pulled it down is due primarily to them adding an additional LHR-BOM daytime flight on a 789 which is using our a/c. A family friend was at a chamber of commerce type event recently and BNA CEO said that we were one of the top ten routes for BA by yield or something. Pulling down would seem to run somewhat contrary to the upgauge/going daily so fast we saw previously.

Fargo

Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
I hope that the reason they pulled it down is due primarily to them adding an additional LHR-BOM daytime flight on a 789 which is using our a/c. A family friend was at a chamber of commerce type event recently and BNA CEO said that we were one of the top ten routes for BA by yield or something. Pulling down would seem to run somewhat contrary to the upgauge/going daily so fast we saw previously.

LF’s weren’t as strong in the winter months though. BNA still has work to do to make the BA flight daily year round.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos