Miamiairport

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm

American 767 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Anyone recall the PI Hub in DAY in the 80's? wondering if now might be the time to resurrect that concept...not at DAY...but at SDF? Kalamazoo, Lansing, GRR, TOL, FWA, SBB etc with southbound connections to MEM, BNA, BHM, Florida etc. Could add some E/W connections as well. A mini-hub with < 100 flights...ERJ 175. Thoughts?

I think that there would be more change for a PIT mini hub to work, or at least a focus city, than a DAY mini hub to work because PIT was a US Air major hub before, even though it's close to PHL and DCA. I think that a daily PIT-LAX could work, or at least 5x weekly, and a daily PIT-BOS on Eagle could work also. The A319 would be a good fit on PIT-LAX and the ERJ-175 would be a good fit on PIT-BOS. And as mentioned in another thread, American does some MX work on Airbus equipment in PIT.

I think the days of hubs, particularly for AA in modest size cities are done. Just look at what has happened to CLE, CVG, MEM, PIT, RDU, STL over the past couple of decades. The current hub system of AA serves all areas of the country fairly well. PIT is a very nice airport and was a great airport to connect through (I remember the gym) but it will never return to it's heyday. Possibly an ULCC might make it a focus city.

DFWandOMA

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
With Delta 2x, United 1x at Newark and Norwegian starting service July 1st not sure if it would be in AA interest to start JFK-ATH unless they look to dominate that market. I'm interested in 2020 announcements for foreign travel hopefully they release something in August like they have the past two years.

What are some thoughts of 2020 announcements coming later this summer? I would think maybe one or two European destinations from PHL, maybe one from ORD ,and one from DFW. I think DFW would see BCN.

Bigant0408

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
With Delta 2x, United 1x at Newark and Norwegian starting service July 1st not sure if it would be in AA interest to start JFK-ATH unless they look to dominate that market. I'm interested in 2020 announcements for foreign travel hopefully they release something in August like they have the past two years.

What are some thoughts of 2020 announcements coming later this summer? I would think maybe one or two European destinations from PHL, maybe one from ORD ,and one from DFW. I think DFW would see BCN.

Just in general IMO I can see routes being added to more secondary European cities, Milan, Nice, REK probably from PHL, more South American Cities mainly between MIA and DFW. ORD would probably get one or two more routes as well. Not sure on PHX and CTL but it'll be interesting whats to come. Overall I have a feeling they going to announce a route that no one expected
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

usflyer msp

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

Is one route having a reduced frequency so AA can run this extra flight or AA could have outright done it?

PHL - DBV - 3x week /BLQ - 4x week/TXL - 4x week share two 767's. There is a spare aircraft 3 days out of the week so adding one frequency is not a big deal.

Runway28L

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 pm

American 767 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Anyone recall the PI Hub in DAY in the 80's? wondering if now might be the time to resurrect that concept...not at DAY...but at SDF? Kalamazoo, Lansing, GRR, TOL, FWA, SBB etc with southbound connections to MEM, BNA, BHM, Florida etc. Could add some E/W connections as well. A mini-hub with < 100 flights...ERJ 175. Thoughts?

I think that there would be more change for a PIT mini hub to work, or at least a focus city, than a DAY mini hub to work because PIT was a US Air major hub before, even though it's close to PHL and DCA. I think that a daily PIT-LAX could work, or at least 5x weekly, and a daily PIT-BOS on Eagle could work also. The A319 would be a good fit on PIT-LAX and the ERJ-175 would be a good fit on PIT-BOS. And as mentioned in another thread, American does some MX work on Airbus equipment in PIT.

I really don’t see PIT-LAX/BOS returning, let alone some mini focus city action by AA at PIT. LAX never really did well and it was cut due to low yields. Ditto for BOS, as it’s an all out fare war between DL and B6 at the moment. I’m really surprised AA is still keeping PIT-RDU around even with DL launching the route tomorrow.

AA also gave up nearly half of their gates at PIT this winter to make way for other airlines affected by the new terminal project that will start later this year, so it’s not like AA will have plenty of space for some sort of build-up in the future.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

AEROFAN

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:07 am

JonNYC wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

When you grab my Tweets-- which you did here-- some attribution would be nice:

Thanks?

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1106247734632349697

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1106236587929669632

What is this heavy investment in products spoken about? Still pretty much a sub par service in J. I've never flown F or Y so can't comment on those two. What have they improved?

OlympicATH

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

I won't hold my breath for this one either. AA just launched ORD-ATH this summer, I don't think we'll see new AA service to ATH in the next couple of years at least. But if we do, it is likely to be from JFK, yes.

IMO a return of ATL-ATH or a new BOS-ATH route on DL are more likely in the short term. Or UA IAD-ATH. Maybe even a competing UA ORD-ATH.

NYC-Athens is a large market in the summer but with five daily flights I don't think AA will risk it. The ORD service was long overdue, with a strong potential for both O&D and connections. It was a matter of time and AA managed to seize the opportunity before UA (which in some ways would have made more sense).

chonetsao

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:42 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
JonNYC wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Thanks?

What is this heavy investment in products spoken about? Still pretty much a sub par service in J. I've never flown F or Y so can't comment on those two. What have they improved?

The market leading J seats in B777 B787 and A330
The all new Flagship lounges and food offerings in the lounge
The roll out of WiFi and live TV on long haul fleet
The mattress and blanket and partnership with Caspers
The all new amenity bags
The service procurement that you may not notice...

9w748capt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm

chepos wrote:
Austin787 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Has anyone heard a rumor about JFK - ATH?

Vasu mentioned that as a possibility at a OneWorld meeting recently.

I think AA is more likely to start DFW-ATH or CLT-ATH than JFK-ATH

Those two suggestions are just silly. CLT/DFW-ATH, not gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enlighten us - why would DFW-ATH be silly, exactly? What, so only people in the east coast or Chicago go go Greece in the summer? No one else? IMHO AA would have no trouble filling DFW-ATH even up front. AA clearly sees something with the DFW-Europe market given their recent additions. Perfect 787 route.

Swadian

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:12 pm

9w748capt wrote:
chepos wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

Enlighten us - why would DFW-ATH be silly, exactly? What, so only people in the east coast or Chicago go go Greece in the summer? No one else? IMHO AA would have no trouble filling DFW-ATH even up front. AA clearly sees something with the DFW-Europe market given their recent additions. Perfect 787 route.

Honestly, DFW-TPE would do better than DFW-ATH.
John Wang, Founder and President of Inland Streamliner.

9w748capt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Swadian wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
chepos wrote:

Honestly, DFW-TPE would do better than DFW-ATH.

Seriously?

jfklganyc

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:55 pm

9w748capt wrote:
chepos wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

ATH barely works from the east coast. There has been an uptick in US service over last 2 seasons after a decade in the abyss.

It is heavily reliant on VFR and tourist traffic, both of which fall in 3 months of the year (June July and August)

That is the NE between NJ and Boston, Chicago, and YYZ and not much else.

DFW doesnt have the fundamentals to make it work.

If they launch it, it would be a long thin route like KEF. Except much longer!

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm

chonetsao wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
JonNYC wrote:

Thanks?

The market leading J seats in B777 B787 and A330
The all new Flagship lounges and food offerings in the lounge
The roll out of WiFi and live TV on long haul fleet
The mattress and blanket and partnership with Caspers
The all new amenity bags
The service procurement that you may not notice...

Thanks for the information. I will be on a 772 to Barcelona and then to Rome later this year. I'll have the opportunity to sample the investments.

chonetsao

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:53 am

9w748capt wrote:
chepos wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

There is an industry source called OAG guide. I believe they publish weekly ticketed passenger numbers between 2 markets (PDEW). So if the PDEW is so huge between DFW and ATH that warrant a direct flight, AA would have jumped the gun long time ago. If PDEW is strong enough from anywhere west and south of DFW to ATH is in any form of significance, I have no doubt AA would jump on the ship too. But the reality is that AA is happy for a seasonal service from east coast, that is a big clue: the demand is seasonal and VFR heavy.

Someone said DFW-TPE would be even more plausible which has some truth. The demand from southeast of America to Asia is there to see. But I don't think AA will open the route neither with partnership in JAL and CX and soon China Southern.

Detroit313

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:13 am

If AA launches a third Athens, it would be from JFK.

PHL, ORD and JFK.

DFW - ATH would never happen in my opinion.

BA744PHX

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 am

Does anyone know when AA's winter schedule will be finalized?
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-EZE-EWR, EWR-YYZ-EWR, EWR-PHX-EWR, EWR-NRT-EWR
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK

9w748capt

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

PHL, ORD and JFK.

I'm sure you people said the same about DFW-AMS and DFW-FCO. None of you armchair CEOs ever thought of those, but the instant someone suggests something else, oh, well that would never work? Give me a break. In my opinion, DFW-ATH would have a very strong chance of success with the 788. For west coast folks, DFW would be the preferred connection point, especially for those up front.

Ishrion

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

PHL, ORD and JFK.

I'm sure you people said the same about DFW-AMS and DFW-FCO. None of you armchair CEOs ever thought of those, but the instant someone suggests something else, oh, well that would never work? Give me a break. In my opinion, DFW-ATH would have a very strong chance of success with the 788. For west coast folks, DFW would be the preferred connection point, especially for those up front.

Considering AA can connect so many passengers to DFW and is rapidly expanding domestic routes, I’d say it’s possible to attract passengers from cities west/south of DFW.

Would they do it anytime soon? Probably not considering there are better options to utilize a 788 like Australia/NZ.

9w748capt

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Ishrion wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

PHL, ORD and JFK.

Considering AA can connect so many passengers to DFW and is rapidly expanding domestic routes, I’d say it’s possible to attract passengers from cities west/south of DFW.

Would they do it anytime soon? Probably not considering there are better options to utilize a 788 like Australia/NZ.

DFW-Aus/NZ would be far more likely with the 789 IMO. AA will need the J seats if they launch SYD or MEL from DFW, even BNE.

chepos

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm

You can never say never, but I just don’t see DFW-ATH. I could see DFW-BCN, which has long been rumored.

Fly the Flag!!!!

9w748capt

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:08 pm

chepos wrote:
You can never say never, but I just don’t see DFW-ATH. I could see DFW-BCN, which has long been rumored.

I find it interesting AA added a 2nd daily DFW-MAD during the summer season, rather than adding BCN. Many more connections offered via MAD which probably swayed the decision makers.

TWA85

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:59 pm

The problem with DFW-ATH is that any connection routed through DFW to feed the DFW-ATH flights can and already is being routed through ORD. Taking connections away from ORD could negatively impact the viability of the ORD-ATH flights. Yes DFW is a large hub and DFW-ATH flights would most likely viable, however operating both DFW-ATH and ORD-ATH flights most likely wouldn't.

alasizon

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
Does anyone know when AA's winter schedule will be finalized?

Are you looking domestic or international?

Anything international with a 757 or larger is pretty much finalized at this point. The only international changes for the Winter after this would likely be Canada, Mexico and minor Caribbean adjustments.

If you are looking for domestic, expect somewhere between 90 and 120 days out.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

OKCDCA

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Was wondering if someone might know why AA is running a reduced schedule around July 4th? Out of COS, our typical six DFW flights are down to four and into TUL looks to be down two or three on July 3rd. With the 4th being on a Thursday are the expecting a lot of call off’s of people trying to stretch it into a four day weekend?

alasizon

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
Was wondering if someone might know why AA is running a reduced schedule around July 4th? Out of COS, our typical six DFW flights are down to four and into TUL looks to be down two or three on July 3rd. With the 4th being on a Thursday are the expecting a lot of call off’s of people trying to stretch it into a four day weekend?

Like this pretty much every year, most people who do take a trip specifically for the 4th are road trippers so most non-peak flights are cut as are a lot of late PM departures.

chepos

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:12 pm

OKCDCA wrote:

On major holidays the airline operates a reduced schedule.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Runway28L

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

AA launching PHX-MSY/CID/ICT.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjou ... p.amp.html

All three are daily but seasonal. MSY and CID run from Dec 16-Apr 6 while ICT runs from Dec 16-May 6.

MSY is on an A319. CID/ICT are on Mesa CRJ9s.

Also, AA is dropping A321T service on BOS-LAX effective Sept 4.
https://onemileatatime.com/american-cut ... to-boston/
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

chepos

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:31 pm

Runway28L wrote:

All three are daily but seasonal. MSY and CID run from Dec 16-Apr 6 while ICT runs from Dec 16-May 6.

PHX-MSY should be able to sustain year round service. We will take what we can get. Anyone know if GRR is returning W19/20?

Fly the Flag!!!!

OKCDCA

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Still can’t get a COS-PHX flight...

FSDan

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Runway28L wrote:

AA is slowly filling in the gaps from PHX. If PHX-MSY proves successful against WN's service, maybe they'll finally try PHX-BNA.

PHX-ICT and PHX-CID seem like solid adds to smaller Midwestern markets where AA is fairly strong.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:57 pm

PHX-ICT was one of the first routes HP flew and hung on for a long time thereafter. And now it's back.

x1234

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Swadian, even though Taiwan is in the USA Visa Waiver Program which will generate a lot of traffic, there is OVER-CAPACITY ON TPACs out of TPE with BR/CI having the bulk of it. Also BR already flies TPE-IAH serving the Texas market (in particular this attracts J traffic from the likes of Dell because of Taiwan's global computer high tech industry). Also HKG technically is higher yielding than TPE due to the finance industry (AA's DFW/LAX-HKG has lots of connections from LGA/JFK/EWR due to the big banks.)

Ishrion

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 pm

x1234 wrote:
Swadian, even though Taiwan is in the USA Visa Waiver Program which will generate a lot of traffic, there is OVER-CAPACITY ON TPACs out of TPE with BR/CI having the bulk of it. Also BR already flies TPE-IAH serving the Texas market (in particular this attracts J traffic from the likes of Dell because of Taiwan's global computer high tech industry). Also HKG technically is higher yielding than TPE due to the finance industry (AA's DFW/LAX-HKG has lots of connections from LGA/JFK/EWR due to the big banks.)

https://www.anna.aero/2018/03/07/dallas ... -searches/

Considering EVA runs a bus service on IAH-DFW, AA/CI(probably not EVA) could launch DFW-TPE and capture a good portion of traffic.

alasizon

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm

chepos wrote:
Anyone know if GRR is returning W19/20?

GRR was planned to come back for the Winter but not until January from my understanding so it likely just hasn't been loaded yet.

BA744PHX

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:46 pm

alasizon wrote:
chepos wrote:
Anyone know if GRR is returning W19/20?

GRR was planned to come back for the Winter but not until January from my understanding so it likely just hasn't been loaded yet.

I've been checking the schedule, I do hope it returns as MSN has been loaded for the past month
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-EZE-EWR, EWR-YYZ-EWR, EWR-PHX-EWR, EWR-NRT-EWR
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK

chepos

American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Glad to see MSN and GRR back in the cards for PHX, I had my doubts about GRR.

Fly the Flag!!!!

9w748capt

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:00 pm

TWA85 wrote:
The problem with DFW-ATH is that any connection routed through DFW to feed the DFW-ATH flights can and already is being routed through ORD. Taking connections away from ORD could negatively impact the viability of the ORD-ATH flights. Yes DFW is a large hub and DFW-ATH flights would most likely viable, however operating both DFW-ATH and ORD-ATH flights most likely wouldn't.

Huh - somehow AA manages to make FCO and CDG work from not just ORD and DFW but their other hubs too. Whatever, just sharing my 2c that's all.

Ishrion

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:17 pm

9w748capt wrote:
TWA85 wrote:

Huh - somehow AA manages to make FCO and CDG work from not just ORD and DFW but their other hubs too. Whatever, just sharing my 2c that's all.

However, wouldn't you say that FCO and CDG are bigger markets than ATH? Hence why AA has such a large presence in the two cities?

They even have 2 airports with commercial service - ORY at Paris and CIA at Rome. I don't think Athens has a secondary airport.

9w748capt

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Ishrion wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
TWA85 wrote:

However, wouldn't you say that FCO and CDG are bigger markets than ATH? Hence why AA has such a large presence in the two cities?

They even have 2 airports with commercial service - ORY at Paris and CIA at Rome. I don't think Athens has a secondary airport.

No I'm sure they are, but the argument that DFW would take connections from ORD and therefore DFW-ATH wouldn't work is BS IMO. DFW offers far more connecting opportunities than ORD does. Now obviously AA knows something I don't which is why they added ORD-ATH not DFW or CLT-ATH. Maybe more Greeks in Chicago, I have no idea.

airzona11

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

PHL, ORD and JFK.

ATH is about as low yield as it gets. If they aren't running it on a fully depreciated 767 or 777, there is zero chance on a brand new 787. AA has JV with BA among others. Easy 1-stops via LHR from all over their network. ORD/JFK are just as much if not more on the way than DFW anyways. Long and thin flying on the 788 might happen from DFW, ATH is not one of them.

Brickell305

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:51 pm

9w748capt wrote:
TWA85 wrote:

CDG is a much bigger market though.

chepos

American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 am

I might have misunderstood the comment regarding the 767/777, but ORD ATH is on a 787. So they do send the 787 into ATH, it does not have to be on a depreciated 767/777.

Fly the Flag!!!!

American 767

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 am

Brickell305 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
TWA85 wrote:

CDG is a much bigger market though.

Yes, it's the second largest market in Europe for AA, first one being LHR.
Ben Soriano

9w748capt

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:37 am

airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

PHL, ORD and JFK.

ATH is about as low yield as it gets. If they aren't running it on a fully depreciated 767 or 777, there is zero chance on a brand new 787. AA has JV with BA among others. Easy 1-stops via LHR from all over their network. ORD/JFK are just as much if not more on the way than DFW anyways. Long and thin flying on the 788 might happen from DFW, ATH is not one of them.

That's odd - just curious which aircraft does AA use on ORD-ATH?

sargester

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 am

9w748capt wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

787-8

sargester

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 am

airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

PHL, ORD and JFK.

It would work, just connect he people coming from the west coast and bank the flight to go out later than the rest of the ATH flights

9w748capt

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:40 am

sargester wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

787-8

I know - I was replying to the other poster's hilarious claim that ATH would only work on a 767.

airzona11

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:18 am

9w748capt wrote:
sargester wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

787-8

I know - I was replying to the other poster's hilarious claim that ATH would only work on a 767.

Read the sentence again. Never did I write it would only work on a 767. Your blatant disregard for the economics doesn’t make your assertions right. My point remains, Shiny new 787s are not being deployed on second tier routes, like DFW to ATH. AA would test waters with 767/777 that are paid off. 777s have more seats to compensate for lower yields. Dallas to an EU business center with nonstop J demand, that’s where the 788s will go.

A 788 is too small to fill with low yield connecting traffic.

Detroit313

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 am

Whatever.

ORD - ATH on a 787-8 is always packed and makes a lot of money!

sargester

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
sargester wrote:

787-8

Read the sentence again. Never did I write it would only work on a 767. Your blatant disregard for the economics doesn’t make your assertions right. My point remains, Shiny new 787s are not being deployed on second tier routes, like DFW to ATH. AA would test waters with 767/777 that are paid off. 777s have more seats to compensate for lower yields. Dallas to an EU business center with nonstop J demand, that’s where the 788s will go.

A 788 is too small to fill with low yield connecting traffic.

I beg to differ, its just like any route that they can connect people on DFW ATH will have little OD but people will buy it purely because they aren't paying attention, like someone purchasing a ticket from MCO to ATH via DFW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos