Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sagechan

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:49 pm

jplatts wrote:
The largest markets in the U.S. without nonstop service to DFW include PVD, ALB, ROC, CAK, ABE, SYR, CRW, TOL, PWM, AVP, LAN, AZO, ATW, GRB, and EUG.

Here are the PDEW's for some of the top domestic routes without nonstop service out of DFW in Q4 2018:
DFW/DAL-PVD - 65
DFW/DAL-ROC - 62
DFW/DAL-SYR - 54
DFW/DAL-PWM - 43
DFW/DAL-CHO - 31
DFW/DAL-AVP - 28
DFW/DAL-FAY - 21
DFW/DAL-GRB - 19
DFW/DAL-RDM - 17
DFW/DAL-ATW - 17
DFW/DAL-ABE - 17
DFW/DAL-DAB - 15
DFW/DAL-CRW - 15
DFW/DAL-CAK - 14
DFW/DAL-FNT - 14

Of the markets listed above, AA could add at nonstop service to at least ALB, CHO, PWM, PVD, ROC, and SYR out of DFW.

Will AA announce any additional nonstop routes out of DFW such as DFW-ALB/CHO/PWM/PVD/ROC/SYR either later this year or early next year?

Ignoring the god awful CR2 that was on the route and frequently weight restricted, CRW had good loads to DFW on that 50 seater, back in 2013. Operationally it was hell, and I can't speak to yields though. AA DFW adds would definitely look at O&D + new 1 stop options in evaluation.
717, 733, 734, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA, AS

Ishrion

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:00 pm

American Airlines is announcing its Q3 results tomorrow. Do you think they’ll announce the Oceania routes?

chepos

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Ishrion wrote:
American Airlines is announcing its Q3 results tomorrow. Do you think they’ll announce the Oceania routes?

Who knows, however, I don’t really think routes usually get announced at same day as quarterly results. But just guessing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Midwestindy

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:43 am

https://visualapproach.io/the-great-oha ... t-of-2019/

Interesting talk about ORD and growth moving forward:

Robert Isom -- President
"We are actually really excited for our future in Chicago on a number of levels. And for one, and I've talked about this probably in lot of forum, removing Chicago to Asia for us has been actually a big benefit to the Chicago hub. A lot of that was not just unprofitable flying in and of itself, it was claiming space off of domestic airplanes and things like that that could have otherwise gone to other customers in the Chicago local market and people connecting from other parts of the business. So that alone has been a big change in Chicago.

And also as we look forward, though our principal competitor there is indeed rolling out the new product, the reality is we still will be able to offer a more first-class seats to the Chicago customer. We absolutely intend to continue doing that. One of the major things that we're excited for, as we go into next year and work through the MAX situation, is that we have a lot more flexibility to do things like bring the A319 in Chicago, which will enable us to kind of up-gauge regional jet markets to vary our capacity more through day and week to create a lot of variability in the schedule that ultimately goes and attracts the key business customers in the Chicago and Greater Midwest area that our principal competitor seems to be targeting. So we very much like our chances out there.

We very much will continue to do that. And even going forward looking longer run as we ourselves continue aggressively replace single-class, 50-seat RJs of two-class airplanes, Chicago will be a place where we'll continue to thrive and be able to produce improving results."

Don Casey -- Senior Vice President of Revenue Management

"This is Don. I'll just add one more data point frame. And we really outperformed the domestic business in the third quarter. They were 12%, and our best-performing hub for unit revenue was Chicago."

Vasu Raja -- Senior Vice President of Network Strategy
"To your first question about Envoy growth, which I think in part you meant Envoy, and maybe larger you meant kind of regional versus mainline. I'll speak to both. Our growth this past year has been heavily driven by the regional operation.

Next year, it will be more heavily driven by our mainline operation. Our growth in Charlotte especially is less about growing our regional jets, it's about, one, improving the connectivity of the hub, making more O&D market and then very critically having more seat availability. So you'll see us do things like bring the 737, then in a larger degree turn more regional jets in the mainline. We endeavor to doing the same thing in DFW as well."
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Runway28L

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:17 pm

AA adding Saturday-only BOS-EYW service on a Republic E175 running from February to May.

https://www.boston.com/travel/travel/20 ... st-flights

Ishrion

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Runway28L wrote:
AA adding Saturday-only BOS-EYW service on a Republic E175 running from February to May.

https://www.boston.com/travel/travel/20 ... st-flights

...Did NOT see that coming. AA’s growth in EYW is insane. Upgauging DFW to the A319, adding a second daily, increasing frequencies from other hubs...

Detroit313

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:09 pm

AA flies to Key West from Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Charlotte, Miami, Dallas, Chicago. Insane.

Meanwhile, Delta only flies from Atlanta and NY and United only from Newark and Chicago.

chepos

American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm

LAX-HKG will see 2 flights tomorrow, AA513 and 193 (due to schedule change). LAX HKG will now depart at 2350.

LAX-AKL resumes for the season tomorrow as AA83 (same flight number as usual), 2305 departure.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Ishrion

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:33 am

AA will go 2x daily on DFW-FCO from July 2 to August 17. Additional flight is with the 788.

Also, didn't realize AA is downgauging LAX-PEK from the 789 to the 788 today...

Detroit313

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:26 am

Wow. A 2nd DFW - FCO!

MIflyer12

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 am

It's a 2nd flight for less than seven weeks - the peak of peak FCO, from a carrier that claims 6,800 flights a day.

Ishrion

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:56 pm

Few notes from this: https://viewfromthewing.com/leaked-new- ... P75Kc34Zl4

- American is looking at more JFK to Caribbean and potentially Mexico City.

- Seasonal extensions out of ORD (assuming FCO, ATH).
We’re also looking at going and taking a number of them and having them fly through the end of the year too instead of stopping in October. before the year is out we’ll be announcing those too.

PHL will be a "north-south" hub
The other thing we’ll do more and more of is emphasize Philly as a North-South hub. Already if you look out this winter you’ll see more flights to Florida and bigger airplanes flying to Florida as well which is another unique thing that Philadelphia can do.

- American plans to send the 787s to MIA beginning late 2020

Detroit313

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 am

So curious about the ORD seasonal extensions Vasu has been teasing us about.

usflyer msp

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:54 am

With DLs departure from AGP, I would be shocked if AA did not add PHL-AGP in 2021, if not a last minute 2020 add. They publicly mentioned considering AGP plus they would be the only TATL route from AGP and have support from Iberia thanks to the JV.

BA744PHX

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:01 am

Per routesonline.com
ORD-BCN will start 04/06, prev 05/03
DFW-DUB will start 05/07, prev 06/06
JFK-FCO will start 03/29, prev 05/03

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... on-in-s20/

lessredtape

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:20 am

not sure if mentioned, but AA adding DFW/AKL & LAX/CHC.

LAX/CHC 3 days a week I think with 789. NZ used to do it with a 744 but it might not have been nonstop.

Megatop747-412

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 am

lessredtape wrote:

LAX/CHC 3 days a week I think with 789. NZ used to do it with a 744 but it might not have been nonstop.

I believe LAX-CHC would be operated by the 788, whereas DFW-AKL would be operated by the 789. I could be wrong though...

chepos

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 am

Megatop747-412 wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

I believe LAX-CHC would be operated by the 788, whereas DFW-AKL would be operated by the 789. I could be wrong though...

You are correct on both accounts.

Fly the Flag!!!!

acentauri

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:22 am

Ishrion wrote:
The other thing we’ll do more and more of is emphasize Philly as a North-South hub. Already if you look out this winter you’ll see more flights to Florida and bigger airplanes flying to Florida as well which is another unique thing that Philadelphia can do.

Is this a fundamental shift in network strategy? I thought that CLT's primary reason for existence was as the network's N-S Hub. Currently, PHL and CLT have close to the same number of daily flights to the West Coast (E-W), even though UA and AS also serve PHL - West Coast non-stop. So essentially both PHL and CLT are also AA E-W Hubs. CLT currently has scheduled about 9 daily Winter flights to MIAMI and PHL 6 + Frontier. So, are they planning on establishing CLT as the primary E-W Hub and PHL as the primary N-S Hub ? Sounds illogical to me. I must be reading more into this than was intended. :hissyfit:

chepos

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:25 am

Ishrion wrote:

We’re also looking at going and taking a number of them and having them fly through the end of the year too instead of stopping in October. before the year is out we’ll be announcing those too.

I might have misunderstood, but the LAX based FA brought up MEX at the town hall. Vasu stated they would possibly look into further additions into MEX. The author of the article ran with jt, but Vasu’s answer was more along the lines of we will look into it (but I did not take it as more will be added into MEX anytime soon). He did mention JFk-Caribbean flights as areas of possible future growth..

Fly the Flag!!!!

sagechan

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 am

acentauri wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Is this a fundamental shift in network strategy? I thought that CLT's primary reason for existence was as the network's N-S Hub. Currently, PHL and CLT have close to the same number of daily flights to the West Coast (E-W), even though UA and AS also serve PHL - West Coast non-stop. So essentially both PHL and CLT are also AA E-W Hubs. CLT currently has scheduled about 9 daily Winter flights to MIAMI and PHL 6 + Frontier. So, are they planning on establishing CLT as the primary E-W Hub and PHL as the primary N-S Hub ? Sounds illogical to me. I must be reading more into this than was intended. :hissyfit:

I think it's just more opportunities for N/S flow via PHL since CLT is gate restrained. PHL has some Widebody restraints in summer, but otherwise plenty of ability to add flights if AA has the aircraft availability.
717, 733, 734, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA, AS

Ishrion

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:03 am

BA744PHX wrote:
Per routesonline.com
ORD-BCN will start 04/06, prev 05/03
DFW-DUB will start 05/07, prev 06/06
JFK-FCO will start 03/29, prev 05/03

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... on-in-s20/

Noted in an AA press release earlier this month with the BOS-LHR and MIA stuff. I think routesonline just added this to their database.

usairways85

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 am

acentauri wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

CLT and PHL have the same number of E-W flights?

usflyer msp

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:32 am

acentauri wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I think you are reading way to much into this.
AA hub functionalities (a hub can be more than one category)
East-West
#1 DFW
#2 ORD
#3 PHX

North-South
#1 CLT
#2 PHL
#3 DCA

International Gateways
#1 MIA
#2 LAX
#3 DFW
#4 PHL
#5 JFK

Domestic Focus City
#1 DCA
#2 LGA

All AA is saying is that they plan on connecting more domestic pax in PHL than they have the last few years

Phoenix757767

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:20 am

sagechan wrote:
acentauri wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I think it's just more opportunities for N/S flow via PHL since CLT is gate restrained. PHL has some Widebody restraints in summer, but otherwise plenty of ability to add flights if AA has the aircraft availability.

AA is getting seven more gates in CLT. CLT and DFW are slated for growth.

chepos

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 am

acentauri wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Reading too much into it. In the town hall it was mentioned they would possibly be adding more flying to destinations in the south (Fl was specifically mentioned). To create more N-S traffic flows. No dramatic change in the role of PHL as a whole, just possible increase in flying to spots in southern states.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Miami

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:50 am

Ishrion wrote:
American plans to send the 787s to MIA beginning late 2020

About time.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

acentauri

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:46 am

chepos wrote:
acentauri wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Reading too much into it. In the town hall it was mentioned they would possibly be adding more flying to destinations in the south (Fl was specifically mentioned). To create more N-S traffic flows. No dramatic change in the role of PHL as a whole, just possible increase in flying to spots in southern states.

Good, concise reply. Sounds logical. AA needs more N-S flows to their Hubs to better compete with you know who. I speculate some of this strategy is to build feed for international growth.

sagechan

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:16 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
sagechan wrote:
acentauri wrote:

Yes there will be CLT growth in 2020 with a handful of new gates coming online, but both airports are still gate restrained. Neither CLT nor DFW gets significant growth absent AA working out new gates. Last year DFW growth was driven by E satellite addition, next year's CLT by additional A gates. They can squeeze some marginal extra trips out of existing non peak banks as well. But PHL has room for both extra banks and more gate utilization.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:31 pm

chepos wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I might have misunderstood, but the LAX based FA brought up MEX at the town hall. Vasu stated they would possibly look into further additions into MEX. The author of the article ran with jt, but Vasu’s answer was more along the lines of we will look into it (but I did not take it as more will be added into MEX anytime soon). He did mention JFk-Caribbean flights as areas of possible future growth..

It’ll be interesting to see what they start/return to on JFK-Caribbean.

Phoenix757767

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm

sagechan wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
sagechan wrote:

Yes there will be CLT growth in 2020 with a handful of new gates coming online, but both airports are still gate restrained. Neither CLT nor DFW gets significant growth absent AA working out new gates. Last year DFW growth was driven by E satellite addition, next year's CLT by additional A gates. They can squeeze some marginal extra trips out of existing non peak banks as well. But PHL has room for both extra banks and more gate utilization.

Seven gates is not a handful. And those gates will be open shortly, not next year. And the B concourse will be extended, when that is finished then the C concourse will be extended.

sagechan

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
sagechan wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Seven gates is not a handful. And those gates will be open shortly, not next year. And the B concourse will be extended, when that is finished then the C concourse will be extended.

Whether 7 is a handful or not notwithstanding, you're making my point. CLT is only getting big expansion as they build new gates (since the 7 A gates come from moving other carriers to new A) therefore they are gate restrained until such gates come online. And B&C expansions are several years to more than decade away at minimum.

Detroit313

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 pm

It seems like AA likes the idea of operating flights to a destination 3-4 times a week instead of daily. We saw it last year with Croatia, Berlin and Bologna, we are seeing it now with Tel Aviv, Christchurch and the new seasonal routes to Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic from ORD.

I wonder if that would be a good strategy for season extensions. For example, operate Athens from ORD and/or PHL daily during the warm busy months and then just 3 times a week after October.

Ishrion

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
It seems like AA likes the idea of operating flights to a destination 3-4 times a week instead of daily. We saw it last year with Croatia, Berlin and Bologna, we are seeing it now with Tel Aviv, Christchurch and the new seasonal routes to Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic from ORD.

I wonder if that would be a good strategy for season extensions. For example, operate Athens from ORD and/or PHL daily during the warm busy months and then just 3 times a week after October.

That’s essentially AA’s strategy now. Expand gradually with less than daily flights, then cut the routes that underperform (BLQ) and invest in the ones that do well (DBV, TXL, BUD, PRG)

LAXintl

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:02 am

Airline Weekly has an interview with Vasu Raja. Largely talked a bunch about NYC and here are some highlights.

o AA had a challenging position in NYC, was long time money loser
o In many ways AA was trying to do too many things but was not big enough or good at most.
o Example - it was flying low-yield leisure routes like SJU, SDQ, EDI, and DUB.
o It also tried to generate connecting traffic through JFK Airport which further eroded financial picture
o "geriatric" B757s and B767 not competitive product
o “Can never compete on size in NYC, but can be the best airline for corporate and the high-end customer going to places like LA and London"
o Also offering routes like SFO, GRU, MAD, CDG along with hub cities like MIA and CLT plus strong AA markets as BNA and RDU all of a sudden NYC works.
o PHL works much better as a broader Atlantic gateway. Much lower airport cost, high volume feed, and strong hometown market position
o "Great affection" for B787. "perfectly sized" for taking risk with new international route development
o B772 replacement is long term consideration that needs answer -- options either refurb and keep longer(low capital cost), vs. replace with 787
o A220s or E-Jet E2s "might be good fit", but no rush. Large A319 fleet, nothing needed until at least 2025.
o What is Asia-Pacific strategy? -- built around 3 partners - China Southern, JAL and Qantas.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jplatts

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 pm

LAXintl wrote:
o In many ways AA was trying to do too many things but was not big enough or good at most.
o It also tried to generate connecting traffic through JFK Airport which further eroded financial picture

There are actually a few more nonstop routes that could be added by AA out of LGA such as LGA-MKE, LGA-OKC, LGA-TUL, and LGA-ICT.

Phoenix757767

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:05 pm

jplatts wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

There are actually a few more nonstop routes that could be added by AA out of LGA such as LGA-MKE, LGA-OKC, LGA-TUL, and LGA-ICT.

With what slots?

jplatts

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
With what slots?

I am unsure what AA would cut in order to add routes such as LGA-MKE/OKC/TUL/ICT, but AA could use slots currently in use on other routes out of LGA for LGA-MKE/OKC/TUL/ICT if AA drops or reduces frequencies on other nonstop routes out of LGA.

Brickell305

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Airline Weekly has an interview with Vasu Raja. Largely talked a bunch about NYC and here are some highlights.

o “Can never compete on size in NYC, but can be the best airline for corporate and the high-end customer going to places like LA and London"
o Also offering routes like SFO, GRU, MAD, CDG along with hub cities like MIA and CLT plus strong AA markets as BNA and RDU all of a sudden NYC works.
o PHL works much better as a broader Atlantic gateway. Much lower airport cost, high volume feed, and strong hometown market position
o "Great affection" for B787. "perfectly sized" for taking risk with new international route development
o B772 replacement is long term consideration that needs answer -- options either refurb and keep longer(low capital cost), vs. replace with 787
o A220s or E-Jet E2s "might be good fit", but no rush. Large A319 fleet, nothing needed until at least 2025.
o What is Asia-Pacific strategy? -- built around 3 partners - China Southern, JAL and Qantas.

Didn’t they recently say that their plan to expand in NYC includes adding more Caribbean destinations?

American 767

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Yes, but it still remains competitive out of JFK on transcon flights to LAX and SFO with its high yield Premium traffic and F and C Class products. And same to LHR. Even if American decides to dehub JFK and LGA by cutting more routes, LAX, SFO and LHR are staying for sure.

LAXintl wrote:

Yes, the 787 is the long haul airplane of the future. At least at American.

LAXintl wrote:

The 787-9 will eventually be the 772 replacement in the middle of the 20s. The replacement is to start in I believe 2023 when the 787-9s from the second batch ordered last year in 2018 start to arrive. The 787-8s are replacing the 767s now, and eventually the A333s.

LAXintl wrote:

And Cathay Pacific. Cathay is a member of the One World alliance.
Ben Soriano

usflyer msp

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm

American 767 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

And Cathay Pacific. Cathay is a member of the One World alliance.

I think CX was omitted because there is no financial relationship between CX and AA, it is just a codeshare. In comparison, AA has JVs with QF and JL and has an ownership stake in CZ; much closer relationships.

anymaninfc

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Anybody know when AAs PHX-Hawaii-PHX will go all NEO? Currently Lihui and second HNL flights are still 757.

Phoenix757767

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:46 pm

They only have nine 321Ns. Airbus had manufacturing issues and five that were supposed to be delivered this year are deferred till next year.

American 767

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:14 pm

anymaninfc wrote:
Anybody know when AAs PHX-Hawaii-PHX will go all NEO? Currently Lihui and second HNL flights are still 757.

It'll be all NEO when the LUS 757s will be gone, not before early 2021.
Ben Soriano

chepos

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:20 pm

American 767 wrote:
anymaninfc wrote:

It'll be all NEO when the LUS 757s will be gone, not before early 2021.

The A330 operates in the winter to HI as well, I assume we would still it (or some other WB equipment at peak times)

Fly the Flag!!!!

anymaninfc

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
They only have nine 321Ns. Airbus had manufacturing issues and five that were supposed to be delivered this year are deferred till next year.

True. But they started three Hawaii flights when they had 6 NEOs. With three more NEOs on board they should be able to fly one or two more Hawaii flights. I believe someone here said it took 6 B757 acft to support the PHX to Hawaii schedule in the winter. I guess my real question is: Is there an operational purpose in continuing to fly these B757s on extended overwater flights to Hawaii?

Phoenix757767

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:15 pm

anymaninfc wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

True. But they started three Hawaii flights when they had 6 NEOs. With three more NEOs on board they should be able to fly one or two more Hawaii flights. I believe someone here said it took 6 B757 acft to support the PHX to Hawaii schedule in the winter. I guess my real question is: Is there an operational purpose in continuing to fly these B757s on extended overwater flights to Hawaii?

Probably not enough operational spares to completely use the 321N

Varsity1

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:27 pm

LIH runway is too short for the 321neo to make phoenix.

janders

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Thanks for posting the summary. Gotta give Vasu credit for his straight forward honest comments.

While NYC is certainly the largest market in the U.S. to me people make too big a deal that AA does not run a hub in the city. Between EWR, LGA and JFK, AA offers lots of capacity still. AA is #2 at LGA by far margin and in total flew nearly 17mil to/from NYC in 2018 between the 3 airports and serves key markets where is can win.

On the 787, yet another airline validates Boeing having created something that hits the sweet spot for airline route planners.

Regarding A220/E2 AA can sit back and watch the marketplace to see how things play out before they decide.

On the Pacific comment, it seems AA will for the foreseeable future will operate a smaller organic network and instead look to JV/ownership stake partners and their hubs to do a good portion of the lifting.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

chepos

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:01 pm

janders wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Thanks for posting the summary. Gotta give Vasu credit for his straight forward honest comments.

While NYC is certainly the largest market in the U.S. to me people make too big a deal that AA does not run a hub in the city. Between EWR, LGA and JFK, AA offers lots of capacity still. AA is #2 at LGA by far margin and in total flew nearly 17mil to/from NYC in 2018 between the 3 airports and serves key markets where is can win.

On the 787, yet another airline validates Boeing having created something that hits the sweet spot for airline route planners.

Regarding A220/E2 AA can sit back and watch the marketplace to see how things play out before they decide.

On the Pacific comment, it seems AA will for the foreseeable future will operate a smaller organic network and instead look to JV/ownership stake partners and their hubs to do a good portion of the lifting.

The only additional flying I can see at this time in the Pacific network are LAX-MEL to complement QF at peak times. BNE as a more distant possibility as QF will be adding capacity in that market.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos