Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:42 pm

Ironically I originally made a separate thread about AA increasing DFW-TLV but I guess someone moved it here so I guess that news doesn’t warrant its own thread... Now the post looks randomly out of context and you have to click on the link to see it’s talking about DFW-TLV :scratchchin:

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
chepos wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Well... dang.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/

From October 25, 2020, the route increases from 3x weekly to daily.

Seems like this route is performing well-above expectations considering it's about 10 months from the inaugural.

Interesting, particularly considering some of our expert Airliners.net route planners frowned upon this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope PHL-CMN sees similar success.

I’ve done dummy bookings for this route and I see outbound to CMN are doing pretty good and inbound not so much from the beginning but we still have months to go from official start
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

chepos

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:34 pm

sargester wrote:
Mark my words, JFK will get TLV before any other station...

IMO, I could see PHL, MIA and ORD before JFK. While JFK is a large market (I would guess the largest US-Israel market) it would appear to be an already well served market.

Fly the Flag!!!!

MAH4546

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:15 pm

chepos wrote:
sargester wrote:

IMO, I could see PHL, MIA and ORD before JFK. While JFK is a large market (I would guess the largest US-Israel market) it would appear to be an already well served market.

Well served but also the fourth largest trans-Atlantic local market total after NYC-LON, NYC-PAR and LAX-LON, so might be if interest to AA.
a.

jmc1975

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
I think it won't be long before Philadelphia gets Tel Aviv again. Especially with the 787 now in Philly.

The 788 would be the ideal aircraft to have a mid-morning turn in TLV from PHL (daytime westbound ops). This would effectively and efficiently open up new city pairs to the eastern 1/3 of the US in a way that DFW could not.

Detroit313

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:39 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
chepos wrote:
sargester wrote:

Well served but also the fourth largest trans-Atlantic local market total after NYC-LON, NYC-PAR and LAX-LON, so might be if interest to AA.

But AA can connect the entire US to Tel Aviv from Philadelphia.

Detroit313

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
chepos wrote:

MAH4546

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
chepos wrote:

Sure, but three cities - Miami, New York and Los Angeles - account for about two thirds of U.S.-Israel traffic. AA can connect the important markets via JFK, including others like WAS, CHI, SFO, YYZ and YUL, so it’s just a balance of if it rather rely on connecting flows (PHLTLV is tiny, MIATLV sees more passengers in a month than PHLTLV in a year) or try to capture the NY local traffic with connecting flows from the bulk markets.
a.

Detroit313

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Sure, but three cities - Miami, New York and Los Angeles - account for about two thirds of U.S.-Israel traffic. AA can connect the important markets via JFK, including others like WAS, CHI, SFO, YYZ and YUL, so it’s just a balance of if it rather rely on connecting flows (PHLTLV is tiny, MIATLV sees more passengers in a month than PHLTLV in a year) or try to capture the NY local traffic with connecting flows from the bulk markets.

You're right. Israel is a unique case. Sometimes we forget how many flights to JFK AA has from places like SFO, LAX and MIA.

9w748capt

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:44 pm

fly2moon wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
fly2moon wrote:
Success of new Europe destinations out of ORD and PHL could mean more opportunities starting in 2021. Air Serbia seems to be indefinitely postponing expansion plans out of Belgrade BEG to ORD and YYZ to focus on regional expansion. That might spark AA’s interest for ORD-BEG or PHL-BEG. VINCI, new BEG airport manager, is apparently working on new long haul services.

That would be a truly shocking addition. AA is just now getting around to serving the ORD-Europe tourist markets. I'm sure BEG is a fine place but it's no PRG or BUD, or even KRK when it comes to tourism.

Look closer, ORD-BEG demand and connectivity options for key midwest and west markets is already there for 2pw seasonal.

Compare that to ORD-KRK that will be served 11 times per week on AA+LO combined, now that's shocking. Where's yield in that?

Is there a large Serbian diaspora in Chicago? Maybe that explains why there are more flights to KRK. Also, which city sees more inbound tourists?

Detroit313

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:00 pm

I think what would make sense for Philadelphia next is adding Brussels, Nice and Helsinki. Not flying to Brussels at all is kind of unacceptable in my opinion. The EU and so many international institutions are based there.

American 767

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
I think what would make sense for Philadelphia next is adding Brussels, Nice and Helsinki. Not flying to Brussels at all is kind of unacceptable in my opinion. The EU and so many international institutions are based there.

Helsinki, yes for sure, because Finnair is in One World.

Nice, yes that would be a nice addition, if not year round at least seasonal during the summer.

Brussels has failed numerous times already. JFK-BRU on AA's metal failed twice. ORD-BRU also failed, although that route has survived in one shot for more than twenty years, since American started flying to BRU in the late 80s. PHL-BRU has existed before, at the time when US Airways was a separate airline before the merger with American, but it has also failed and it didn't last long. So I doubt that adding PHL-BRU would work well. United ate American's lunch in BRU by adding BRU-ORD, and by adding BRU-EWR following the merger with Continental, in addition to the BRU-IAD route that has existed for now more than 25 years!
BRU was working well back in the 2000s because SN was code sharing with AA so American was getting a lot of feed from SN flights in Europe and Africa, but now that SN is in Star it is no surprise that United is doing well with three daily flights and American didn't survive.
Ben Soriano

chepos

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:43 pm

American 767 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Helsinki, yes for sure, because Finnair is in One World.

Nice, yes that would be a nice addition, if not year round at least seasonal during the summer.

Brussels has failed numerous times already. JFK-BRU on AA's metal failed twice. ORD-BRU also failed, although that route has survived in one shot for more than twenty years, since American started flying to BRU in the late 80s. PHL-BRU has existed before, at the time when US Airways was a separate airline before the merger with American, but it has also failed and it didn't last long. So I doubt that adding PHL-BRU would work well. United ate American's lunch in BRU by adding BRU-ORD, and by adding BRU-EWR following the merger with Continental, in addition to the BRU-IAD route that has existed for now more than 25 years!
BRU was working well back in the 2000s because SN was code sharing with AA so American was getting a lot of feed from SN flights in Europe and Africa, but now that SN is in Star it is no surprise that United is doing well with three daily flights and American didn't survive.

US flew PHL-BRU between 2007 and lasted past the merger until the BRU airport bombings in 2016. That is 9 years; it was a mix of 762/757. I am sure it is a route they will target with the XLR.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Bigant0408

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

I agree on all routes. I was hoping Nice would be apart of next years summer expansion but maybe that’s later on down the line. As for Brussels as someone else mention that would probably be suited for an XLR. As for Helsinki I would personally love for Finnair to fly to PHL but we know that’s highly not going to happen but I can imagine AA is probably looking at this as well possibly XLR being used plus being Oneworld affiliated

dfdubflyer

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:13 pm

On the subject of DFW-TLV a recent list from Dallas Business Journal:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/11/12/dfw-airport-international-routes.html

I would have never guessed that DFW-TLV was the airport's top unserved international route.... basically ever haha. Of the next 9 BCN seems like the next most likely as a summer seasonal add perhaps in '21.

Ishrion

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:05 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/11/12/dfw-airport-international-routes.html

I would have never guessed that DFW-TLV was the airport's top unserved international route.... basically ever haha. Of the next 9 BCN seems like the next most likely as a summer seasonal add perhaps in '21.

Nothing in East Asia, ouch. Makes sense, I guess.

interesting that Amman is number 10. Would Royal Jordanian add service?

I could see Milan and Zurich after Barcelona.

chepos

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:

BCN has long been rumored, FCO has by all accounts been a success so VCE would not surprise me. ZRH has been served in the past, a 787 may do the trick.

Fly the Flag!!!!

chepos

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:

BCN has long been rumored, FCO has by all accounts been a success so VCE would not surprise me. ZRH has been served in the past, a 787 may do the trick.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Detroit313

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 pm

The possibilities are endless for DFW. Whatever you add makes money right away.

Ishrion

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

Time for AA to add DFW-JJN?

Cointrin330

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:49 am

Detroit313 wrote:

Not sure about the TPAC flights....AA supposedly loses money on all of them.

chepos

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

That’s interesting, I have heard Flights to Tokyo from DFW are good performers.

Before the HKG protest per an article posted on this website (can’t recall the thread) made the top 10 list of most profitable flights out of DFW.

Mainland China, is by all accounts a money pit.

Fly the Flag!!!!

phxtristar

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:46 pm

I believe PHX would be Very successful with a nonstop to Tokyo and Sydney with 787. With the Joint Venture with Qantas and Oneworld Alliance with Japan Airlines, it would be a win-win situation.

SESGDL

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

That’s an incredibly presumptuous statement.

Jeremy

Ishrion

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:51 pm

phxtristar wrote:
I believe PHX would be Very successful with a nonstop to Tokyo and Sydney with 787. With the Joint Venture with Qantas and Oneworld Alliance with Japan Airlines, it would be a win-win situation.

Both Qantas and Japan Airlines have a joint venture with American, not just the OW alliance.

Sure, there are connections, but how many people would actually fly the route? I’m sure the people flying PHX-LAX-TYO/SYD would enjoy a direct connection, but is it feasible?

phxtristar

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Themotionman wrote:
Continued from 2018 - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384617

What could we see in 2019?
CLT- Continued domestic expansion.
ORD- More seasonal domestic growth. More Leisure-orientated European routes.
PHL- More secondary European destinations
DFW- More seasonal domestic leisure destinations. More Leisure-orientated European routes.
LAX- Connecting more dots in the midwest
JFK- What is next on the chopping block?
PHX- Europe on AA metal :checkmark: Tokyo next?
MIA- More flights down south. Shift capacity from Brazil to Colombia, Caribbean

I completely agree PHX to Tokyo would go great as well as PHX to Sydney with the 787. Another hidden route is CLT to ELP with A319.

Cointrin330

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:05 pm

chepos wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

That’s interesting, I have heard Flights to Tokyo from DFW are good performers.

Before the HKG protest per an article posted on this website (can’t recall the thread) made the top 10 list of most profitable flights out of DFW.

Mainland China, is by all accounts a money pit.

I mis-spoke in saying that all are money losers. NRT / HND make money as AA has feed on both end points thanks to JAL. Vasu Raja was quoted as saying HKG has held up well despite the protests and the softened demand and again, AA and CX code share so there is feed. The rest of the portfolio which includes mainland China (PVG, PEK) + ICN are said to be money losing but remain on the map to stay relevant plus the China Southern partnership will hopefully help turn some of the mainland China routes around. On DFW-ICN, AA code shares with Korean Air.

BA744PHX

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:37 pm

What do you think about this post on the Jamaican forum?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411979&start=100#p21820409
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/tap ... ofile=1373

I know JM operated PHX-MBJ from 2000-2002, followed by US PHX-MBJ 2009-2011, would the 3rd time be a charm?

Would AA consider this? My own curiosity is why does Jamaica want to be connected with PHX?

cathay747

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:53 pm

phxtristar wrote:
Themotionman wrote:
Continued from 2018 - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384617

What could we see in 2019?
PHX- Europe on AA metal :checkmark: Tokyo next?

I completely agree PHX to Tokyo would go great as well as PHX to Sydney with the 787. Another hidden route is CLT to ELP with A319.

PHX/TYO has been bandied about in the Phoenix Aviation thread for a long time. I'd say that the speculation on this route has bumped upwards a bit from pipe-dream to somewhat possible over the past couple of years. I believe somebody posted something quoted by Vasu that given the success of the new AA-metal flights on PHX/LHR they are apparently looking at it. That being said, the consensus in the PHX thread is that if it were to ever happen, it won't be for a good while. The problem is that PHX just doesn't have enough of a local-market to support it, particularly premium (meaning business class) traffic. I postulated that if it were ever to happen, it would possibly be done with a JL 788 as they have one configuration out of a couple which has a smaller J-cabin than AA has, and it would likely only be 3, possible 4 flights per week; highly unlikely it could support daily service.

As to PHX/SYD...I mean no disrespect, but that belongs in the realm of "Fantasy Island". No way that will ever happen. We'll be lucky if we ever get TYO. The AA/QF JV can route what few PHX pax there may be over LAX. Using PHX as a connecting point from elsewhere in the network to SYD would be crazy as they've got that sufficiently covered with existing LAX & DFW services, with ORD coming soon.
Try a Little VC-10derness

cathay747

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Ishrion wrote:
phxtristar wrote:

Both Qantas and Japan Airlines have a joint venture with American, not just the OW alliance.

Sure, there are connections, but how many people would actually fly the route? I’m sure the people flying PHX-LAX-TYO/SYD would enjoy a direct connection, but is it feasible?

Exactly. TYO maybe, in a few years. SYD? Never.

cathay747

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:55 pm

BA744PHX wrote:

I know JM operated PHX-MBJ from 2000-2002, followed by US PHX-MBJ 2009-2011, would the 3rd time be a charm?

Would AA consider this? My own curiosity is why does Jamaica want to be connected with PHX?

JM flew PHX-MBJ? And US too? Wow. Never knew that.

I think the better question is why would PHX want to be connected to Jamaica? LOL I'm still surprised personally that PHX-CUN remains alive and well.

Brickell305

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:04 pm

BA744PHX wrote:

Jamaica would want to be connected to PHX as it’s a gateway for more tourists to come to the island.

cathay747

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

Jamaica would want to be connected to PHX as it’s a gateway for more tourists to come to the island.

Well yeah, but how many? I mean, even with connecting pax from markets unique to PHX that aren't also served from DFW or MIA (very few), could it be viable? Seems iffy to me. Maybe if they did a seasonal Saturday-only service like what they're doing to start on JFK-GCM it would work.

MAH4546

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:35 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:

All that list shows is how well served DFW is because the market size of those “unserved” routes is absolutely tiny. MIABCN sees more passengers in one month than DFWBCN in a year.

Yes, obviously certain markets like BCN will easily stimulate and fill planes, but the article is kind of a joke.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a.

BA744PHX

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:36 pm

cathay747 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

JM flew PHX-MBJ? And US too? Wow. Never knew that.

I think the better question is why would PHX want to be connected to Jamaica? LOL I'm still surprised personally that PHX-CUN remains alive and well.

Honestly I'm surprised this is coming from the Jamaica side instead of PHX. If Jamaica throws money at AA, and PHX offers incentive for the flight, might as well take the money until it runs out...

travaz

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:53 pm

As I remember the JM flight only operated on Saturdays and Wed. I could be wrong but it was definitely not daily. I really don't remember the US flight. This was aimed at the leisure market and there were some pretty good deals. However the Phoenix market seems to prefer Hawaii or the Mexico beaches.

I fly PHX transpac a couple of trips a year, Australia thru LAX is a breeze. Leave PHX at 6 or 8 pm with an easy connection, TYO from PHX is a pain because you have to leave PHX really early to make th 10:30 or 11:30 AM flight to HND or NRT. AA tries to get you thru DFW. I don't like backtracking. I usually stay overnight in LAX. Would I like a direct PHX TYO ? Of course I would. I think there is a small chance it would happen. I think it will start at 3 a week. Maybe a tag on? PHX SYD will never happen.

Ishrion

Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 am

So...

AA's ending/not displaying PHL 788 service from October 25, 2020... which I'm assuming is an error or a placeholder. Or at least, I can't seem to find anymore 788 TATL routes.

It looks like on aa.com PHL-AMS is listed twice on October 25. One is a 788 departing 6:50 and one is a 763 departing 9:20. I'm assuming the 6:50 flight will disappear as this is a time switch to the 9:20?

PHL-MAN still 763.

And PHL-ZRH switches to the 763 on Oct 25.

wn676

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:02 am

Ishrion wrote:
So...

AA's ending/not displaying PHL 788 service from October 25, 2020... which I'm assuming is an error or a placeholder. Or at least, I can't seem to find anymore 788 TATL routes.

It looks like on aa.com PHL-AMS is listed twice on October 25. One is a 788 departing 6:50 and one is a 763 departing 9:20. I'm assuming the 6:50 flight will disappear as this is a time switch to the 9:20?

PHL-MAN still 763.

And PHL-ZRH switches to the 763 on Oct 25.

It’s a placeholder. They won’t fleet the international widebody schedule for another few months.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

Ishrion

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:09 am

Looks like the daily DFW-TLV was truly a mistake per JonNYC.

Bookings are no longer available on October 26, 2020 but are available on the 25th and 27th.

PHL-DBV last date looks to be Oct 23.

From October 25, it looks like 2 of 3 daily ORD-LHR flights will be on the 772.

Ishrion

AA PHL-KEF Goes Year-Round

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 am

Per routesonline, AA has tentatively filed for year-round PHL-KEF service.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... ce-in-w20/

PHL-KEF will shift from DFW-KEF in Summer 2020. DFW-KEF was seasonal and ended in October in 2017/18.

This time, PHL-KEF is bookable daily after the switch into the off-season (October 25). Flights will continue to be daily.

Will be interesting to see if Icelandair plans to respond. Obviously this flight should perform better for connections into PHL and avoiding the need to backtrack into DFW.

LAX772LR

Re: AA PHL-KEF Goes Year-Round

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:20 am

Good to see. Might be indicative that US-Iceland is finally finding some reasonable equilibrium.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

mhkansan

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:21 am

I'd like to see AA enter ORD-KEF. I think its possible with an overwater 319.

PHLspecial

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:21 am

I really hope FI comes back. An alternative to AA expensive flights to Europe

acentauri

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:29 am

Ishrion wrote:
Per routesonline, AA has tentatively filed for year-round PHL-KEF service.
Will be interesting to see if Icelandair plans to respond. Obviously this flight should perform better for connections into PHL and avoiding the need to backtrack into DFW.

The only response from FI would be year round and/or daily PHL-KEF, since they already serve the route.

nc3rd

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 am

mhkansan wrote:

It doesnt have the range for it. A 321NEO would however.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

Varsity1

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:51 am

nc3rd wrote:
mhkansan wrote:

LAA's new shark let A319's do, it's only 2,500nm. The problem is KEF is "europe" at their JV's require lie flat seating on all transatlantic flights. Even a 737-800NG could operate it. It's about the same as HNL-SEA.

Bigant0408

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:53 am

PHLspecial wrote:
I really hope FI comes back. An alternative to AA expensive flights to Europe

As of right now they suppose to come back for next summer on a 737 Max. Obviously anything can change but that’s the status right now.

usairways85

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am

Call me a little skeptical after we just saw AA erroneously load a daily DFW-TLV flight.

nc3rd

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:42 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
nc3rd wrote:
mhkansan wrote:

LAA's new shark let A319's do, it's only 2,500nm. The problem is KEF is "europe" at their JV's require lie flat seating on all transatlantic flights. Even a 737-800NG could operate it. It's about the same as HNL-SEA.

Its 3000NM+ from ORD-KEF. Thats outside of the range of the 319 Sharklets with CEO if they want to carry any payload at all. This aint going to happen.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

DanDun

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 pm

AA is ending service to Córdoba, Argentina in May 2020