usflyer msp

Re: American Airlines Network Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm

sargester wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

I know - I was replying to the other poster's hilarious claim that ATH would only work on a 767.

Read the sentence again. Never did I write it would only work on a 767. Your blatant disregard for the economics doesn’t make your assertions right. My point remains, Shiny new 787s are not being deployed on second tier routes, like DFW to ATH. AA would test waters with 767/777 that are paid off. 777s have more seats to compensate for lower yields. Dallas to an EU business center with nonstop J demand, that’s where the 788s will go.

A 788 is too small to fill with low yield connecting traffic.

I beg to differ, its just like any route that they can connect people on DFW ATH will have little OD but people will buy it purely because they aren't paying attention, like someone purchasing a ticket from MCO to ATH via DFW

The real problem is that 70% of US-Europe traffic comes from east of the Mississippi. DFW is not going to get much of that connecting traffic so to make DFW-Europe work there has to be:

A) a hub on the other end (LHR, MAD)
B) very large local leisure market (CDG, FCO, DUB)
C) business traffic to fill front cabin (FRA, MUC, AMS)

ATH does not meet any of those criteria so it is highly unlikely. JFK and even MIA would get an ATH flight before DFW, IMHO.

bridge29

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:42 pm

airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
sargester wrote:

787-8

I know - I was replying to the other poster's hilarious claim that ATH would only work on a 767.

Read the sentence again. Never did I write it would only work on a 767. Your blatant disregard for the economics doesn’t make your assertions right. My point remains, Shiny new 787s are not being deployed on second tier routes, like DFW to ATH. AA would test waters with 767/777 that are paid off. 777s have more seats to compensate for lower yields. Dallas to an EU business center with nonstop J demand, that’s where the 788s will go.

I don't think that's accurate. AA is moving the 787s to Philly to take over for retired 767s. So they're obviously very willing to put 787s on second-tier routes.

redwingspilot

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:46 pm

bridge29 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

I don't think that's accurate. AA is moving the 787s to Philly to take over for retired 767s. So they're obviously very willing to put 787s on second-tier routes.

You'll see when the next slew of 787's come they'll start to take over 767 flying in PHL, with all 767's out of PHL by summer end 2020 where the remaining airframes will finish out their life in MIA.

9w748capt

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:05 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
sargester wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

I beg to differ, its just like any route that they can connect people on DFW ATH will have little OD but people will buy it purely because they aren't paying attention, like someone purchasing a ticket from MCO to ATH via DFW

The real problem is that 70% of US-Europe traffic comes from east of the Mississippi. DFW is not going to get much of that connecting traffic so to make DFW-Europe work there has to be:

A) a hub on the other end (LHR, MAD)
B) very large local leisure market (CDG, FCO, DUB)
C) business traffic to fill front cabin (FRA, MUC, AMS)

ATH does not meet any of those criteria so it is highly unlikely. JFK and even MIA would get an ATH flight before DFW, IMHO.

As far as (C) goes, business travel certainly isn't what AA is targeting on DFW-AMS. MUC is a major business center yes, but again AA is only flying there seasonally (at least for now). FRA is the only one that fits your criteria. AFAIK business travel doesn't shut down after summer tourist season.

Detroit313

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:21 pm

The rumors about JFK - ATH are getting louder and louder.

It seems like it is going to happen!

x1234

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:26 pm

The reason ORD-ATH is flown from Chicago is the LARGE Greek population in Chicago. PHL-ATH is a legacy US Airways route.

Ishrion

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
The rumors about JFK - ATH are getting louder and louder.

It seems like it is going to happen!

Where are you hearing this?

Ishrion

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:07 pm

x1234 wrote:
The reason ORD-ATH is flown from Chicago is the LARGE Greek population in Chicago. PHL-ATH is a legacy US Airways route.

That’s correct. Chicago/Illinois has the 3rd largest Greek population in the U.S., after NY/California.

https://thegreekobserver.com/greece/tra ... irst-time/

BN727227Ultra

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

That’s correct. Chicago/Illinois has the 3rd largest Greek population in the U.S., after NY/California.

Big Fat Greek Wedding? Windex? Helloooo!

Detroit313

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:45 am

New York has a huge Greek population. Much bigger than Chicago.

Watch, if AA adds Athens it will always be packed like Chicago and Philadelphia always are.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:33 am

Detroit313 wrote:

Watch, if AA adds Athens it will always be packed like Chicago and Philadelphia always are.

Again, where did you hear this rumor that AA will add JFK-ATH?

As discussed above, there is no guarantee that AA's flight would go out full.

ORD/PHL-ATH have zero competition, other than PHL's proximity to JFK/EWR.

JFK is already served by Delta, with 2 daily flights. Not only that, Norwegian will be starting their ATH-JFK flight in 3 days.

In addition to this, you have catchment over at EWR with United AND Emirates' flight.

So to be completely honest, I don't see this one doing as well as ORD/PHL.

9w748capt

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 am

Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Did not know that! ORD-ATH makes perfect sense then.

Detroit313

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:05 am

Ishrion wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

JFK is already served by Delta, with 2 daily flights. Not only that, Norwegian will be starting their ATH-JFK flight in 3 days.

In addition to this, you have catchment over at EWR with United AND Emirates' flight.

Well, the same could be argued for places like Rome. It is served by way more flights overall than Athens but the AA flight is still packed.

If anything, the boom in flights between NY and Athens shows how high the demand is. United and Delta are always packed even with all the competition.

If AA adds a flight too I don't see why it is the AA flight that will suffer from the competition and not any of the rest.

AA has very detailed data due to the JV with BA that shows very high demand for JFK - ATH. The amount of people who connect at LHR is high enough to justify a non-stop.

And most of this NY crowd cannot be captured by Chicago or Philadelphia. It is a completely different crowd.

tphuang

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Well, the same could be argued for places like Rome. It is served by way more flights overall than Athens but the AA flight is still packed.

If anything, the boom in flights between NY and Athens shows how high the demand is. United and Delta are always packed even with all the competition.

If AA adds a flight too I don't see why it is the AA flight that will suffer from the competition and not any of the rest.

AA has very detailed data due to the JV with BA that shows very high demand for JFK - ATH. The amount of people who connect at LHR is high enough to justify a non-stop.

And most of this NY crowd cannot be captured by Chicago or Philadelphia. It is a completely different crowd.

I see, demand means aa will make a profit. Full plane means making money. Amazing stuff I read here.

Ishrion

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 pm

tphuang wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I see, demand means aa will make a profit. Full plane means making money. Amazing stuff I read here.

What he said above ^

For starters, how do you know the Rome and Athens flights are packed? Where do you get this data?

And no, I wouldn’t say Rome can be CLOSELY compared to Athens. Rome has much more global & regional demand. It even has a secondary airport.

Compare Rome and Athens’ route network. Rome has destinations to cities across North America, cities in South America, flights to Southern Africa, even secondary cities in China.

Meanwhile Athens only has two routes to Asia, five cities in northeast America, NO South American flights, NO southern African flights.

This is how AA is able to launch more flights to Rome than Athens. Demand. Three of five of AA’s routes to Rome, DFW, CLT, and PHL, have no competition.

There is more demand on this route. That’s how AA is able to compete on ORD/JFK-FCO.

chepos

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Ishrion wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

What he said above ^

For starters, how do you know the Rome and Athens flights are packed? Where do you get this data?

And no, I wouldn’t say Rome can be CLOSELY compared to Athens. Rome has much more global & regional demand. It even has a secondary airport.

Compare Rome and Athens’ route network. Rome has destinations to cities across North America, cities in South America, flights to Southern Africa, even secondary cities in China.

Meanwhile Athens only has two routes to Asia, five cities in northeast America, NO South American flights, NO southern African flights.

This is how AA is able to launch more flights to Rome than Athens. Demand. Three of five of AA’s routes to Rome, DFW, CLT, and PHL, have no competition.

There is more demand on this route. That’s how AA is able to compete on ORD/JFK-FCO.

Both ATH and FCO are jam packed in the summer. Maybe some days you may have open seats on some flights, but mid May through August loads on those two destinations are very high. Best of luck getting on either ATH or FCO (at least as a NRSA pax). That being said, I believe FCO is a much larger destination for tourist (at least Americans), which reflects in the amount of flights when compared to ATH. Who knows, maybe a flight is added to ATH from JFK or maybe not, crazier things have happened (like flights to BLQ). In this industry one can never doubt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

tkoenig95

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Does anyone have the figures as to how many Airbus deliveries have been made to AA since the MAX grounding? Lots of wondering if new deliveries are able to pick up the MAX slack until they get back on board later this year.

Boof02671

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:18 pm

They are getting a total of 17 A321neos, I believe three have been delivered and two used A319s.

DFWandOMA

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Any word on how the second daily flights from DFW to MAD and CDG are doing? I'm hoping they return in 2020.

chepos

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:08 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
Any word on how the second daily flights from DFW to MAD and CDG are doing? I'm hoping they return in 2020.

Can’t be doing too shaby as tbey second frequency has been extended into late fall - both sub daily.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Ishrion

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:27 pm

chepos wrote:
DFWandOMA wrote:

Can’t be doing too shaby as tbey second frequency has been extended into late fall - both sub daily.

The frequencies were extended into early January.

From Oct 27: MAD goes 11 weekly until Jan 5th using a 788

From Oct 27: CDG goes 10 weekly until Jan 3rd using a 788

afcjets

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

How is it the least bit surprising that NY, CA, and IL might have the three largest populations of anyone when the three largest cities in the US are NYC, LAX, and CHI?

MAH4546

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:18 pm

afcjets wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

How is it the least bit surprising that NY, CA, and IL might have the three largest populations of anyone when the three largest cities in the US are NYC, LAX, and CHI?

It’s usually CA, NY and FL, not IL.
a.

afcjets

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:49 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Since most recent immigration has probably come from Central and South America that makes sense, but it doesn’t for Europeans who have been here for centuries.

Accordingly to Wikipedia, MSY was the first significant Greek community in the US going back to the 1850s.

MAH4546

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 am

afcjets wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Since most recent immigration has probably come from Central and South America that makes sense, but it doesn’t for Europeans who have been here for centuries.

Accordingly to Wikipedia, MSY was the first significant Greek community in the US going back to the 1850s.

Yes, if we go back centuries, but if we look at where Europeans who immigrate today go, they don’t go to Chicago. They go to Miami, NY and LA.
a.

afcjets

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:10 am

MAH4546 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Yes, if we go back centuries, but if we look at where Europeans who immigrate today go, they don’t go to Chicago. They go to Miami, NY and LA.

Actually FL and IL are tied, but it’s irrelevant because the vast majority of them were born here.

“In the 2012–16 period, 45 percent of immigrants from Europe lived in one of four states: New York (15 percent), California (14 percent), and Florida and Illinois (8 percent each). The top four counties by European population were Cook County in Illinois, Kings County in New York, Los Angeles County in California, and Queens County in New York. Together, these counties accounted for about 15 percent of Europeans in the United States.

As of 2012–16, the U.S. cities with the largest number of Europeans were the greater New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles metropolitan areas, which together accounted for about 31 percent of Europeans in the United States”

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article ... ted-states

I think AA would add CLT-ATH before DFW or JFK.

Detroit313

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:39 am

The metro areas that have the most Greeks in the US are New York, Chicago and Detroit. Not Los Angeles.

Ishrion

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:56 am

Detroit313 wrote:
The metro areas that have the most Greeks in the US are New York, Chicago and Detroit. Not Los Angeles.

Do you have a source for that? I'm seeing Los Angeles place fourth for ancestry and country of birth. Right behind NYC/Boston/Chicago.

Planes4you

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:05 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:

The second daily flight to CDG is full

afcjets

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
NEWS: @AmericanAir nonstop seasonal European service from #CLT:
Paris: March 31 – October 27
Madrid: March 31- October 27
Rome: April 2- October 27
Barcelona: May 3- September 29
Dublin: May 3- October 27
Year round service:
London
Frankfurt
Munich: begins March 30

US flew CLT-ORY or CLT-CDG year round almost 20 years ago and AA flew RDU-ORY year round 30 years ago. I am surprised AA only flies from CLT seven months out of the year.

Boof02671

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm

afcjets wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Year round service:
London
Frankfurt

US flew CLT-ORY or CLT-CDG year round almost 20 years ago and AA flew RDU-ORY year round 30 years ago. I am surprised AA only flies from CLT seven months out of the year.

I worked international maintenance in CLT never flew CLT-Paris year round. Only FRA and LGW/LHR.

afcjets

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Year round service:
London
Frankfurt

I worked international maintenance in CLT never flew CLT-Paris year round. Only FRA and LGW/LHR.

Here is the press release, it does not mention seasonal. IIRC they cancelled it or made it seasonal after the first winter.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000815060 ... 0_0413.htm

Boof02671

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Must have been in Stores then

afcjets

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm

9/11 was the end of it.

Detroit313

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 pm

When is the joint venture with Qantas going to be approved not tentatively?

Ishrion

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0030-0143

Sometime soon? AA/QF have agreed to the terms so...

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 pm

afcjets wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Here is the press release, it does not mention seasonal. IIRC they cancelled it or made it seasonal after the first winter.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000815060 ... 0_0413.htm

That is the original press release from 2000. The flight was cancelled after 9/11 and did not come back until 2008 - it has been running seasonally since then.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2008/10/27/daily59.html

9w748capt

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 am

Detroit313 wrote:

Surely you can ask one of your inside sources at AA rather than ask here?

DFWandOMA

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Typically we are about a month away from AA announcing new summer, seasonal destinations. Any thoughts as to what some might be?

dfdubflyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 pm

I heard a rumor of a return to TLV. Unreliable source but I found it interesting nonetheless. Anybody else heard that?

Ishrion

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
Typically we are about a month away from AA announcing new summer, seasonal destinations. Any thoughts as to what some might be?

More or less, last year's announcement was on August 21st.

Honestly betting on:

DFW-HEL
or
PHL-HEL
DFW-BCN
JFK-ZAG(haha)
ORD-PRG
ORD-DBV
PHL-AGP
PHL-MXP

Would they bring back PHL-FRA? Seemed weird to be cut and TXL replaced it as the only AA German destination from PHL. They ended up letting LH upgrade to the 744 a few months later.

- PHL-DBV gets some frequency increase

- More PHL 763 routes replaced by 788

- ORD-ATH upgauges to 789

Cuts:
PHL-BLQ?
PHL-TXL?

Ishrion

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
I heard a rumor of a return to TLV. Unreliable source but I found it interesting nonetheless. Anybody else heard that?

What's the source you found? Here's this one: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... on-london/

DFWandOMA

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:49 pm

I would add PHL-NCE as a possibility. I don't see ORD-DBV happening, but ORD-PRG I could see as a possibility. I think some routes will be affected when the AA/QF JV will be approved.

dfdubflyer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:19 am

Ishrion wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

What's the source you found? Here's this one: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... on-london/

I wouldn’t call an article a source, no, it’s an employee at HQ in a relevant department.

jplatts

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am

Ishrion wrote:
DFWandOMA wrote:

AA could add DFW-NGO and DFW-KIX nonstop service (on at least a seasonal basis) since the DFW Metroplex has significant business ties to both Nagoya (near Toyota's world headquarters in Toyota, Japan) and Osaka (where Kubota's world headquarters is located). AA would also be able to offer connections onto JL international flights to East Asia and Southeast Asia at NGO or KIX if at least one of these nonstop routes is added.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I wouldn’t call an article a source, no, it’s an employee at HQ in a relevant department.

I meant source for the rumor, not actually confirming anything.

BoeingGuy

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 pm

jplatts wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
DFWandOMA wrote:

AA could add DFW-NGO and DFW-KIX nonstop service (on at least a seasonal basis) since the DFW Metroplex has significant business ties to both Nagoya (near Toyota's world headquarters in Toyota, Japan) and Osaka (where Kubota's world headquarters is located). AA would also be able to offer connections onto JL international flights to East Asia and Southeast Asia at NGO or KIX if at least one of these nonstop routes is added.

AA has tried and dropped DFW-KIX at least twice, maybe three times. It never sticks.

American 767

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:47 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
I would add PHL-NCE as a possibility. .

PHL-NCE would be great! I never understood why American has never even attempted to fly to NCE, as they have been flying to France for over three decades now. I believe that there was a time when they flew to Lyon, from JFK, but that didn't last long.
Ben Soriano

QuawerAir

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
DFWandOMA wrote:

Honestly betting on:

DFW-HEL
or
PHL-HEL

It's quite funny how HEL is being brought up every year as a possible new destination in American Airlines Network Thread (as a Helsinkian I'm glad about it). Yet American has not launched, announced or publicly shown interest in opening a new route to HEL (at least I haven't seen) after they cut ORD-HEL in 2014.

Helsinki is indeed a possible (quite likely actually) next European destination for AA and thus it's no surprise it can be found in the list. For me also, DFW and PHL make the Top 2 possible AA routes to HEL. I remember DFW and slightly odd one, Charlotte, having said a couple of years ago they're seeking more European routes, Helsinki included from both airports.

I hope AA will serve HEL soon and I can see it happen within next few years.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

OlympicATH

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm

American 767 wrote:
I believe that there was a time when they flew to Lyon, from JFK, but that didn't last long.

I believe that was DL, not AA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos