sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:26 pm

I would assume Egyptair in particular must be doing good considering unlike KU, they fly to JFK nonstop, but KU still has the return nonstop and also on their new 77W's. JFK is also the sole US destination for both MS and KU, how are they doing loads wise?
 
deltatrav
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:02 pm

It was my understanding that from 1/1/2019, KU would operate nonstop to JFK, however, it seems the flight has not actually begun flying as such. Anyone have any news?
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8500
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm

deltatrav wrote:
It was my understanding that from 1/1/2019, KU would operate nonstop to JFK, however, it seems the flight has not actually begun flying as such. Anyone have any news?

You’re mixing apples and oranges. It used to run via LHR both ways as a revenue stop (carrying pax LHR-JFK and v. v.) whereas now it aspires to be nonstop but has to stop in Shannon to clear security because US authorities don’t trust Kuwait to send a plane to the US nonstop without the chance of something untoward happening. No traffic rights, just get everyone off, through security, back onboard and go. And obviously nonstop back because the perceived security threat doesn’t exist out of a US airport.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
Monty1988
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:00 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 am

cedarjet wrote:
deltatrav wrote:
It was my understanding that from 1/1/2019, KU would operate nonstop to JFK, however, it seems the flight has not actually begun flying as such. Anyone have any news?

You’re mixing apples and oranges. It used to run via LHR both ways as a revenue stop (carrying pax LHR-JFK and v. v.) whereas now it aspires to be nonstop but has to stop in Shannon to clear security because US authorities don’t trust Kuwait to send a plane to the US nonstop without the chance of something untoward happening. No traffic rights, just get everyone off, through security, back onboard and go. And obviously nonstop back because the perceived security threat doesn’t exist out of a US airport.


US TSA carried out an audit of Kuwait Airways new Terminal 4 at KWI and the new Terminal 4 passed successfully, Currently all of KU’s operations originate from T4 except for US bound flights, They still commence from Terminal 1 KWI due to ongoing logistical preparation at Terminal 4 like a new Transit area, New seating zones, 3 New premium lounges 2 exclusive to KU are already opened and the 3rd remaining lounge which can be accessed by payment is almost ready, Duty free, Cafes & Restaurants etc... will open soon, KU has gained the right to fly nonstop and direct to the US without any security stops from KWI T4 and will do so soon.
 
Monty1988
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:00 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

KU has resumed non stop direct flights today from KWI T1 to JFK and soon us all flights will be from the new KWI T4
 
sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Monty1988 wrote:
KU has resumed non stop direct flights today from KWI T1 to JFK and soon us all flights will be from the new KWI T4


Awesome news, although strange that there is no change at all in the block time now that the stop is gone.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Odd that while in StarAlliance, MS hasn't moved operations from JFK to EWR.
Also, there still be a demand for MS CAI-LAX, not sure if MS would re-start LAX via Europe, best via an StarAlliance hub without LAX service or via major LAX European market without StarAlliance flight.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
Odd that while in StarAlliance, MS hasn't moved operations from JFK to EWR.
Also, there still be a demand for MS CAI-LAX, not sure if MS would re-start LAX via Europe, best via an StarAlliance hub without LAX service or via major LAX European market without StarAlliance flight.


Not too odd considering there are a good set of Star carriers that only fly to JFK and not EWR, though that is slowly changing.

My view is the flight is mostly O&D, so it's not too surprising they fly to JFK
 
georgiabill
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Could MS fly CAI-LAX non stop when they receive their 789?
 
sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Don't know why MS would need a stop in Europe or a 789 when EY has been flying AUH-LAX on the 77W for ages. The 77W definitely has the range to do CAI-LAX easily.
 
sonicruiser
Topic Author
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:33 pm

KU117 is on the ground at JFK, completing the first flight with nonstop service from KWI-JFK. It arrived at 5:17P, a whopping 53 minutes early.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 pm

EgyptAir has also just launched flights to Washington Dulles.
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:28 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
I would assume Egyptair in particular must be doing good considering unlike KU, they fly to JFK nonstop, but KU still has the return nonstop and also on their new 77W's. JFK is also the sole US destination for both MS and KU, how are they doing loads wise?


They are likely losing boatloads of money on these flights. Filling the back with sub-continent and SE Asia transit consolidator fares.

Neither carrier serves booze so no matter what your opinion on alcohol consumption in flight, taking away a choice to a very large segment of the business and high yield traveling public that expects (and frankly demands) the whole premium experience which includes booze, is not sustainable for profitable front cabin type traffic.

Neither carrier serves a niche that isn't already satisfied by competitors, with the exception of those that demand nonstop service to CAI and KWI (which is likely very small).

These are prestige routes.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 pm

airzim wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
I would assume Egyptair in particular must be doing good considering unlike KU, they fly to JFK nonstop, but KU still has the return nonstop and also on their new 77W's. JFK is also the sole US destination for both MS and KU, how are they doing loads wise?


They are likely losing boatloads of money on these flights. Filling the back with sub-continent and SE Asia transit consolidator fares.

Neither carrier serves booze so no matter what your opinion on alcohol consumption in flight, taking away a choice to a very large segment of the business and high yield traveling public that expects (and frankly demands) the whole premium experience which includes booze, is not sustainable for profitable front cabin type traffic.

Neither carrier serves a niche that isn't already satisfied by competitors, with the exception of those that demand nonstop service to CAI and KWI (which is likely very small).

These are prestige routes.

EgyptAir is now non-stop from Cairo to both New York JFK and Washington Dulles and the route to Cairo has fairly strong demand nonstop from America.
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
airzim wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
I would assume Egyptair in particular must be doing good considering unlike KU, they fly to JFK nonstop, but KU still has the return nonstop and also on their new 77W's. JFK is also the sole US destination for both MS and KU, how are they doing loads wise?


They are likely losing boatloads of money on these flights. Filling the back with sub-continent and SE Asia transit consolidator fares.

Neither carrier serves booze so no matter what your opinion on alcohol consumption in flight, taking away a choice to a very large segment of the business and high yield traveling public that expects (and frankly demands) the whole premium experience which includes booze, is not sustainable for profitable front cabin type traffic.

Neither carrier serves a niche that isn't already satisfied by competitors, with the exception of those that demand nonstop service to CAI and KWI (which is likely very small).

These are prestige routes.

EgyptAir is now non-stop from Cairo to both New York JFK and Washington Dulles and the route to Cairo has fairly strong demand nonstop from America.


I'm aware of their IAD flight, but that doesn't really change the market realities of those two carriers. MS is trying to save their proverbial bacon since the tourist market has cratered to Egypt and desperate the keep their heads afloat by snagging some of the low yield transit traffic who doesn't care about where they connect.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:20 pm

airzim wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
airzim wrote:

They are likely losing boatloads of money on these flights. Filling the back with sub-continent and SE Asia transit consolidator fares.

Neither carrier serves booze so no matter what your opinion on alcohol consumption in flight, taking away a choice to a very large segment of the business and high yield traveling public that expects (and frankly demands) the whole premium experience which includes booze, is not sustainable for profitable front cabin type traffic.

Neither carrier serves a niche that isn't already satisfied by competitors, with the exception of those that demand nonstop service to CAI and KWI (which is likely very small).

These are prestige routes.

EgyptAir is now non-stop from Cairo to both New York JFK and Washington Dulles and the route to Cairo has fairly strong demand nonstop from America.


I'm aware of their IAD flight, but that doesn't really change the market realities of those two carriers. MS is trying to save their proverbial bacon since the tourist market has cratered to Egypt and desperate the keep their heads afloat by snagging some of the low yield transit traffic who doesn't care about where they connect.

EgyptAir has also been flying to Toronto nonstop from Cairo since June 2013.
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
airzim wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
EgyptAir is now non-stop from Cairo to both New York JFK and Washington Dulles and the route to Cairo has fairly strong demand nonstop from America.


I'm aware of their IAD flight, but that doesn't really change the market realities of those two carriers. MS is trying to save their proverbial bacon since the tourist market has cratered to Egypt and desperate the keep their heads afloat by snagging some of the low yield transit traffic who doesn't care about where they connect.

EgyptAir has also been flying to Toronto nonstop from Cairo since June 2013.


It’s actually Montreal.

Your point?
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:37 am

airzim wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
airzim wrote:

I'm aware of their IAD flight, but that doesn't really change the market realities of those two carriers. MS is trying to save their proverbial bacon since the tourist market has cratered to Egypt and desperate the keep their heads afloat by snagging some of the low yield transit traffic who doesn't care about where they connect.

EgyptAir has also been flying to Toronto nonstop from Cairo since June 2013.


It’s actually Montreal.

Your point?


Are you debating the time it started or if Egyptair flies to Toronto?

They absolutely fly to YYZ - not sure if it is daily or when it started however.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:08 am

airzim wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
airzim wrote:

I'm aware of their IAD flight, but that doesn't really change the market realities of those two carriers. MS is trying to save their proverbial bacon since the tourist market has cratered to Egypt and desperate the keep their heads afloat by snagging some of the low yield transit traffic who doesn't care about where they connect.

EgyptAir has also been flying to Toronto nonstop from Cairo since June 2013.


It’s actually Montreal.

Your point?

Nope. It's actually YYZ. Triple 7. You must be mixing it up with Air Algérie (AH) or Royal Air Maroc (AT)
 
YYZORD
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:16 am

I always was wondering why KU didn't even try serving YYZ? I know some who bus down to New York to fly KU from here cause fares are cheaper compared to EK, EY, and QR and I'm sure KU has the demand from YYZ.
 
CHRISBA35X
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 am

I'm not a fan of KU but MS are superb - flown them several times and their hard and soft product is very decent. I don't really care about the lack of booze. The food is great, it is a real source of pride for them. I'd happily do C for 10-14 hours on MS no problem, I think they are a wonderful airline and CAI is a fairly underrated airport actually. I genuinely do think the booze makes no difference in their case, similar to Royal Brunei.
 
jfk777
Posts: 6987
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 am

As these are government owned airlines flying to the USA is more important as an economic link than turning a profit. JFK is the obvious destination fo anything crossing the Atlantic.
 
hohd
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: How are Egyptair and Kuwait doing at JFK?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:28 pm

There is no advantage of flying to EWR for most Star carriers and if they fly to EWR it is only because they have sufficient traffic on its own (AI for example). UA does not cooperate with most Star carriers except the JV partners. Most Star carriers are better off code sharing or interlining with Jet Blue and even with DL and AA at JFK.

KU carries lots of sub continent low fare traffic, but Egypt Air does not, due to limited traffic, as it flies only to BOM in India.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos