Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gunnerman
Topic Author

Didn't pre-book your seat? You need to get off the plane

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Here's a report of a passenger who was removed from an overbooked easyJet A321 as she hadn't pre-booked her seat and left to fend for herself. It's also not clear how two passengers were issued with a boarding card for the same 13C seat.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/easyjet-overbook-bristol-airport-geneva-passenger-denied-boarding-offload-a8708976.html

FlapsOne

Re: Didn't pre-book your seat? You need to get off the plane

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm

It would most likely be the last person to check in online and not to do with the fact that she didn't pay for a seat reservation.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Clearly EasyJet has learned nothing from previous cases where they overbooked the plane and had to bump passengers.

It has nothing to do with pre-booking your seat as they get assigned on check-in anyway. It has to do with being the last to check-in. EasyJet allows people to check-in even if all seats have already been assigned, in that case you don't get a seat assigned but you can still check-in. You get a boarding card without a seat number. This usually works as mostly there's someone who doesn't show up, but not always. There have been several cases where there were too many passengers for the plane.

Despite those previous cases EasyJet still didn't adapt their policy. They still overbook. Bumping passengers gives them a lot of negative publicity, so perhaps it's better to stop overbooking. Ryanair doesn't overbook and on average they're even cheaper than EasyJet, so financially there's no need.

Aeroflot777

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Despite those previous cases EasyJet still didn't adapt their policy. They still overbook. Bumping passengers gives them a lot of negative publicity, so perhaps it's better to stop overbooking. Ryanair doesn't overbook and on average they're even cheaper than EasyJet, so financially there's no need.

It's my understanding that virtually every airline overbooks flights based on statistics tied to no-shows and missed connections. Why would easyJet not be doing this?

If all the facts are indeed true, then it seems to me that the aftermath and how they dealt with the situation is what actually needs fixing.

WPvsMW

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Overbooking is a normal practice... the finesse is how much to overbook, and it varies by departure time, city-pair, equipment... just how smart is your yield management engine? This is one reason DL is so profitable. DL is probably the best at overbooking without IDBs... but DL does use "voluntary rebooking" alot.

a350lover

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:

It's my understanding that virtually every airline overbooks flights based on statistics tied to no-shows and missed connections. Why would easyJet not be doing this?

If all the facts are indeed true, then it seems to me that the aftermath and how they dealt with the situation is what actually needs fixing.

That's exact. In most cases, around 5% of the booked passengers doesn't show up, so it's common for airlines to have more bookings than seats on specific flights. Overbooking is more common on routes which have several flights per day, so that the "issue" which airlines generate in passengers is less problematic.

It's the airline responsibility to analyze which routes and which times are the ones that they want to overbook, and airlines do so in order to guarantee that no passengers get stranded. They always ensure that they do not welcome on board more people than seats the jet has, and ground staff must have committed some mistake on that Easyjet event because the system should have warned they were boarding a double seating pax.

No-shows are bookings which despite being confirmed, they reached the time limit for check-in, and they didn't.

If upon check-in closed, the airline has to give out "stand-by" boarding passes (without seat assigned) for the flight, that means that the number of passengers who do want to travel is already over the limit of capacity. Normally, when this happens ground staff at the gate will make announcements to look for free-volunteers who do not mind to travel on the next available flight. If a pax does so, the compensation which they receive is a bit less than when has to be "forced".

Those "forced" to deny boarding are exactly the latest to have done the check-in process. It can be quite frustrating but I would say in most of the Western World is 100% legal and there are established compensations to resolve the inconvenience caused to passengers.

Overbooking has a positive effect on everyone else's booking, since doing so generates a positive effect on the low fares that airlines can offer.

For obvious reasons, Easyjet did not organize the boarding on that plane effectively, but I wouldn't call this event "usual".

drgmobile

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Ah yes, the whole "overbooking" thing. My favourite overbooking story is my own. Once I missed my Air Canada flight from DCA to YOW as it had left the day before (I had changed the flight and the Air Canada computer defaults to the previous day when you do that, which I didn't realize until too late). In any case, the only way for me to get home the same day was to pay $1200 for the nonstop flight leaving in three hours.

Sitting at the gate a few hours later, they called for a volunteer as they were "overbooked." By one.

SCQ83

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:46 pm

This would have never happened with Ryanair, as FR does not overbook.

Next time she should fly with Ryanair instead of easyJet.

ikramerica

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 pm

drgmobile wrote:
Ah yes, the whole "overbooking" thing. My favourite overbooking story is my own. Once I missed my Air Canada flight from DCA to YOW as it had left the day before (I had changed the flight and the Air Canada computer defaults to the previous day when you do that, which I didn't realize until too late). In any case, the only way for me to get home the same day was to pay $1200 for the nonstop flight leaving in three hours.

Sitting at the gate a few hours later, they called for a volunteer as they were "overbooked." By one.

And that’s why they do it. You paid $1200. The passenger jumping off was likely on a cheap fare because people on cheapest fares are most likely to take another flight for compensation. And that compensation will be a flight voucher worth X amount. The raw profit is $1200-X-ancillary costs to rebook. And there may be even more profit if you use your flight voucher to book on a flight that isn’t full. Then excess profit approaches $1200.

Do this on every popular flight per day and you can clear millions per year. $10 million or more. Not chicken feed.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos