eastafspot
Topic Author

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm

northsouthnomad wrote:
ET don't fly to Durban anymore. I am sure they will try again, but they had very poor perceptions in the Durban market

The route was started in 2015 and it seemed a good bet!
Just curious, why/how is the DUR market so different that JNB/CPT? ET must have some of the best route managers in Africa...

NYKiwi wrote:
Not meant to be a trip report but wanted to say a few things.
Just returned from a trip to CPT on SAA (JFK-JNB-CPT). Overall flights good on SAA but 340-600 interior, mainly seats and IFE showing its age but still a good ride. I know SAA arent the strongest financial shape but overall happy with level of service etc but JNB has grown with massive foreign airline presence CPT also. I cant help think SAA model of having everything funnel through JNB doesnt help but i guess they lack the right aircraft to have split hubs.

Hopefully they get through there financial issues and upgrade long haul fleet.

What shocked me the most was that the JFK - JNB flight was barely 2/3 full which surprised me for only non stop given there extensive network in southern africa.

Your impressions are most welcome here :smile: and – so do I – I wish them to recover quickly from this tricky situation.
How can a double hub would work for SAA? From CPT it would be mostly (exclusively?) domestic, no?
Maybe the direct flight is usually so expensive than only "business" travellers (Eco+J) can afford it, VFR pax may prefer to endure a stop somewhere in East Africa/Middle East/Europe at a relatively cheaper price with as you stated a better soft product!
Have you already flown the return leg? Similar or much better?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

evanb

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:53 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Just curious, why/how is the DUR market so different that JNB/CPT? ET must have some of the best route managers in Africa...

DUR is a very different market to JNB/CPT. It relies more on outbound rather than inbound travelers, but also connections focused more on South Asia rather than East Asia and Europe. ET were also much later to market. EK, QR and TK had a first mover advantage.

eastafspot wrote:
How can a double hub would work for SAA? From CPT it would be mostly (exclusively?) domestic, no?
Maybe the direct flight is usually so expensive than only "business" travellers (Eco+J) can afford it, VFR pax may prefer to endure a stop somewhere in East Africa/Middle East/Europe at a relatively cheaper price with as you stated a better soft product!
Have you already flown the return leg? Similar or much better?

From JNB, SAA serve CPT, DUR, ELS and PLZ domestically, and ABJ, ACC, BLZ, DDS, DAR, EBB, HRE, FIH, LOS, LLW, LVI, LAD, LUN, MPM, MRU, NBO, NLA, VFA and WDH regionally. When you add their franchise partners Airlink, SA Express and Mango they add BFN, MQP, PZB, PTG, SIS, SZK, UTT, UPN, HDS, GRJ, KIM and RCB domestically, and TNR, BEW, BUQ, GBE, BBK, MSU, MUB, APL, NOS, POL, HLE, TET, VNX, WVB, ASI, FBM and ZNZ regionally.

Meanwhile from CPT they only service JNB while Airlink, SA Express and Mango add HLA, BFN, PLZ, DUR, ELS, GRJ, KIM, MQP, SZK, UPN and HDS domestically, and MUB, VFA, WVB and WDH regionally. This explains why JNB is the hub, and CPT is not.

While CPT is the popular tourist destination, it's popularity is seasonal, but this ignores that JNB is a much larger city with a much larger business market. It is also the entry point for safari tourist market. This is why JNB has significantly more capacity than CPT. The only long haul routes that SAA could viably serve is into large Star Alliance hubs, but even then, it can only work if they get access to very strong feed, something they don't always get from Star Alliance partners.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 pm

evanb wrote:
DUR is a very different market to JNB/CPT. It relies more on outbound rather than inbound travelers, but also connections focused more on South Asia rather than East Asia and Europe. ET were also much later to market. EK, QR and TK had a first mover advantage.

The new kid on the block had only crumbles on an already low yield market, is it what you mean?
How is BA doing so far on its new route?

evanb wrote:
From JNB, SAA serve CPT, DUR, ELS and PLZ domestically, and ABJ, ACC, BLZ, DDS, DAR, EBB, HRE, FIH, LOS, LLW, LVI, LAD, LUN, MPM, MRU, NBO, NLA, VFA and WDH regionally. When you add their franchise partners Airlink, SA Express and Mango they add BFN, MQP, PZB, PTG, SIS, SZK, UTT, UPN, HDS, GRJ, KIM and RCB domestically, and TNR, BEW, BUQ, GBE, BBK, MSU, MUB, APL, NOS, POL, HLE, TET, VNX, WVB, ASI, FBM and ZNZ regionally.

Meanwhile from CPT they only service JNB while Airlink, SA Express and Mango add HLA, BFN, PLZ, DUR, ELS, GRJ, KIM, MQP, SZK, UPN and HDS domestically, and MUB, VFA, WVB and WDH regionally. This explains why JNB is the hub, and CPT is not.

While CPT is the popular tourist destination, it's popularity is seasonal, but this ignores that JNB is a much larger city with a much larger business market. It is also the entry point for safari tourist market. This is why JNB has significantly more capacity than CPT. The only long haul routes that SAA could viably serve is into large Star Alliance hubs, but even then, it can only work if they get access to very strong feed, something they don't always get from Star Alliance partners.

While I agree with you, could SAA and more SA airlines move to Lanseria in order to ease domestic (+Namibia and Botswana as having a probably fair share of regional pax) travels on some routes via or from CPT - some backtracks for retired/backpackers/VFR pax might eventually reduce fares ?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

NYKiwi

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 am

I did the retrn leg back to JFK. No real complaints just older seats and IFE. I know the issues SAA face and not even being able to make CPT -LHR work was just a thought guven the traffic in CPT is not small albiet seasonal....even on my CPT -JNB flight alot of brits so maybe part of package or something but they chose 1 stop over BA non stop.

I also dpoke to the purser and he mentiined the IAD flights were doing well with 1 stop option and these helped with west african traffic do maybe they are heading in the right direction slowly but will come a time to ditch the fuel hungry 4 engies for 2 but will need to get there finances in order

Will add the 340-600 was a good ride even for age enjoyed it and impressed with takeoff for the longer sectors, just the massive IFE boxes between seats kills foot room

evanb

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:07 am

eastafspot wrote:
The new kid on the block had only crumbles on an already low yield market, is it what you mean?
How is BA doing so far on its new route?.

Exactly. Rumor has is that BA are doing okay. There is a niche O&D market between the UK and DUR which will do fine.

eastafspot wrote:
While I agree with you, could SAA and more SA airlines move to Lanseria in order to ease domestic (+Namibia and Botswana as having a probably fair share of regional pax) travels on some routes via or from CPT - some backtracks for retired/backpackers/VFR pax might eventually reduce fares ?

No, SAA and BA have no interest in HLA. They provide service to HLA through their low cost brands (Kulula and Mango). I certainly could see either Kulula or Mango (or FlySafair who also operate to HLA) adding some regional flights from HLA although I suspect HRE or LUN might come before GBE or WDH. Regional expansion from CPTwill be limited since JNB is a very natural connecting point with the exception of Namibia which is already well connected to CPT.

evanb

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 am

NYKiwi wrote:
I also dpoke to the purser and he mentiined the IAD flights were doing well with 1 stop option and these helped with west african traffic do maybe they are heading in the right direction slowly but will come a time to ditch the fuel hungry 4 engies for 2 but will need to get there finances in order

It's a catch-22. Non-stop gives a better product to the US but the one-stop makes the route financially more viable (lower costs plus West African revenue). But also, it's about the right stop. Dakar wasn't hugely financially rewarding But Accra has been far better.

SAA have been ditching quads, although JNB-JFK remains an exclusive A340-600 route. JNB-DDS-IAD, JNB-ACC-IAD, JNB-MUC, JNB-LHR, JNB-GRU, JNB-LOS, JNB-ACC-ABJ are almost exclusively A330 now, while JNB-JFK, JNB-FRA, JNB-HKG and JNB-PER are the only remaining exclusive A340 routes. Rumor has it that SAA are looking to pick up a pair of A350-900 that are ntu for JNB-JFK in the next two months.

NYKiwi

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am

A350 to JFK should help profitability I think the pilot said we burned about 150,000 lbs of fuel JNB to JFK.....i think thats right....not sure if these flights are freight heavy or not

northsouthnomad

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am

eastafspot wrote:
evanb wrote:

How is BA doing so far on its new route?

Likely. But also did a rather poor job in marketing against the established brands.

BA has alot more positive momentum it seems. They offer a direct to London offer and good connections to key EU cities. This is perceptionally a better mix for people in Europe and Durban.

From my own experience, having been in this flight 4 times already it is full, and doing well in Premium. The problem for this route is the day return which many are avoiding and returning via JNB. It won't be a deal breaker for everyone, but one for BA to watch.

northsouthnomad

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 am

evanb wrote:
NYKiwi wrote:

It's a catch-22. Non-stop gives a better product to the US but the one-stop makes the route financially more viable (lower costs plus West African revenue). But also, it's about the right stop. Dakar wasn't hugely financially rewarding But Accra has been far better.

SAA have been ditching quads, although JNB-JFK remains an exclusive A340-600 route. JNB-DDS-IAD, JNB-ACC-IAD, JNB-MUC, JNB-LHR, JNB-GRU, JNB-LOS, JNB-ACC-ABJ are almost exclusively A330 now, while JNB-JFK, JNB-FRA, JNB-HKG and JNB-PER are the only remaining exclusive A340 routes. Rumor has it that SAA are looking to pick up a pair of A350-900 that are ntu for JNB-JFK in the next two months.

A350? Where could they magically find those at short notice?

seat64k

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am

evanb wrote:

Don't forget JNB-CPT - there's still an A346 on that route.

For anyone visiting or in the region that wants to get a ride in on an A346 before they're gone, the JNB-CPT flight (SA343/346 tomorrow - not sure if it changes from day to day) is a nice option. Last time I was there I was able to get a business class ticket for less than a 2 hour flight would usually be in economy elsewhere in the world. It was really nice!

PM

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 am

northsouthnomad wrote:

A350? Where could they magically find those at short notice?

Etihad ntu?????

T54A

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 am

NYKiwi wrote:
A350 to JFK should help profitability I think the pilot said we burned about 150,000 lbs of fuel JNB to JFK.....i think thats right....not sure if these flights are freight heavy or not

A346 burns about 135000kg (298000lb) on a JNB-JFK flight. A350-900 will save about 35000-40000kg on that sector.

Cigarette box calculation

40000 x 2 (JNB-JFK & JFK-JNB) =80000kg per day
80000 / 0.8 (kg to litres) = 100 000 litres per day
100 000 x 365 = 36 500 000 litres saved per year

I don’t know what SAA pays for gas, but that’s must surely justify the more expensive lease cost.
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3

evanb

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:04 pm

seat64k wrote:
Don't forget JNB-CPT - there's still an A346 on that route.

For anyone visiting or in the region that wants to get a ride in on an A346 before they're gone, the JNB-CPT flight (SA343/346 tomorrow - not sure if it changes from day to day) is a nice option. Last time I was there I was able to get a business class ticket for less than a 2 hour flight would usually be in economy elsewhere in the world. It was really nice!

It's not exclusive on JNB-CPT. They rotate in A330-200/300 and A340-300/600 based on aircraft availability and need. Same for JNB-MRU and some other regional routes.

evanb

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:24 pm

T54A wrote:
A346 burns about 135000kg (298000lb) on a JNB-JFK flight. A350-900 will save about 35000-40000kg on that sector.

Cigarette box calculation

40000 x 2 (JNB-JFK & JFK-JNB) =80000kg per day
80000 / 0.8 (kg to litres) = 100 000 litres per day
100 000 x 365 = 36 500 000 litres saved per year

I don’t know what SAA pays for gas, but that’s must surely justify the more expensive lease cost.

They pay the same for gas as everyone else, but your calculations would be more than $20 million per year. I'd suspect lease rates about $10 to 12 million per year.

Something to keep in mind is that the A340-600 will carry a larger payload on that route. So the potential revenue is less, but that's not to say actual revenue will be less.

NYKiwi

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:33 pm

I actually had a 340-600 on my JNB-CPT leg, was good for a 2 hour hop, and then 320 coming back before connecting to JFK. Before my flight out of CPT there was a 330, then 340-200(300) then my 320 so good mix.

Fuel savings is significant, that is why I ask about freight as our take off roll out of JFK was relatively shorter than I expected for a 14.5 hour flight....I am use to those long roles AirNZ has out of IAH for similar length.

I hope to return to CPT in a year or so really great city and SAA is a great way to get there so hopefully there will be some new rides soon (wish full thinking)…..interesting to see how this all transpires.

evanb

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:43 pm

NYKiwi wrote:
I actually had a 340-600 on my JNB-CPT leg, was good for a 2 hour hop, and then 320 coming back before connecting to JFK. Before my flight out of CPT there was a 330, then 340-200(300) then my 320 so good mix.

Defintiely a A340-300. The -200s have been out of the fleet since 2011/2012.

NYKiwi wrote:
Fuel savings is significant, that is why I ask about freight as our take off roll out of JFK was relatively shorter than I expected for a 14.5 hour flight....I am use to those long roles AirNZ has out of IAH for similar length.

Take-off roll is short because it's a quad. The A340-600 takes off like a rocket :-)

dredgy

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Air Mauritius apparently launching Mauritius to Moroni.
http://www.govmu.org/English/News/Pages ... -2018.aspx

Anybody know when these will go on sale? Or the schedule announced?
I’m sceptical of it happening, but I am in Comoros at the same time my mother is in Mauritius so I’d like to fly her over to meet me.

Breathe

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 pm

dredgy wrote:

I’m sceptical of it happening, but I am in Comoros at the same time my mother is in Mauritius so I’d like to fly her over to meet me.

Er... you do realise this article was published last year:

Date: March 14, 2018

dredgy

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Breathe wrote:
dredgy wrote:

Er... you do realise this article was published last year:

Date: March 14, 2018

Ah. :roll:
Knew I’d heard the news before and it never eventuated but thought that was a new development. On the down side, I’m a year older than I thought I was.

seat64k

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 pm

evanb wrote:
Take-off roll is short because it's a quad. The A340-600 takes off like a rocket :-)

I've always been impressed by how quickly they slow down to taxi speed too.

mr02

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Does anybody know anything or heard anything about the new alliance between SAA,Air Mauritius,Rwandair and Kenya Airways?

mr02

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Does anybody know anything or heard anything regarding the new alliance between SAA,Air Mauritius,Rwandair and Kenya Airways?

evanb

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:37 pm

mr02 wrote:
Does anybody know anything or heard anything about the new alliance between SAA,Air Mauritius,Rwandair and Kenya Airways?

Nothing. It was nothing more than rhetoric and speculation in the first place.

northsouthnomad

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 am

Effective 1 July, Air Mauritius will increase its flight frequencies to and from Durban to a four-weekly service, with an additional flight on Sundays.

The scheduled flight, operating an Airbus A319-100, will depart Durban on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at 12h20 and arrive in Mauritius at 18h10.

https://insidetravel.news/air-mauritius ... frequency/

737max8

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Looking to visit CPT from May 2-6. Is this quiet time for tourism or will flights be busy?
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm

737max8 wrote:
Looking to visit CPT from May 2-6. Is this quiet time for tourism or will flights be busy?

From where will you fly from? Asia, US or elsewhere?
According to your needs, a first hand answer by knowledgeable fellow "Northsouthnomad" or even "Evanb" members will follow if you precise a bit your interests!
You are very brave for a such short stay ! :)

:arrow: This Summer, Etihad Airways will introduce the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner on its scheduled services from Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg, effective 1 August
https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/companies ... 408083321/

Any more (main) airlines upgauging like this for the summer?

A better answer to some of frequent posters of this thread (and those who also wrote a TR) should follow the next days! :smile:

evanb

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm

737max8 wrote:

May is the quietest month for international arrivals in Cape Town and the weather will still be decent. I think you'll have a great time!

737max8

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm

evanb wrote:
737max8 wrote:

May is the quietest month for international arrivals in Cape Town and the weather will still be decent. I think you'll have a great time!

Thanks, so far loads look good on LH, TK, or QR direct to CPT. Trying to avoid JNB! Hope for clear days for climbing and visiting the coast :)
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 pm

:arrow: TAAG removed from the European Union’s airline “blacklist”.

:arrow: Angola seeking US FAA Category 1 rating to enable TAAG to commence US services.

:arrow: Cathay Pacific to resume seasonal HK-Cape Town service in Nov-2019 with A350-900. The service will run for three days each week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday:
https://newsaero.info/airlines/cathay-p ... ?true=1733

:arrow: Air Mauritius Takes Delivery of Its First A330neo named Aapravasi Ghat in reference to Mauritius’ history.

:arrow: KLM and Air Mauritius will suspend their joint venture operations between Mauritius and Amsterdam at the start of the 2019 IATA Winter season effective from 27 October 2019. The current joint operations on the 2 weekly Air Mauritius’ operated flights will continue throughout IATA Summer 2019 season ending on 26 October 2019.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 pm

Air Tanzania will relaunch its Dar es Salaam - Johannesburg route from June 28. The company is back on South African soil after a 10 year hiatus.
Tanzanian national airline will connect DAR to JNB three times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays on B787 with convenient timings!

Wow, such a amazing news especially rostering a new WB tail at JNB, but can they compete with SAA with 10 flights weekly?
Will TC perform better than when they served Johannesburg between 2003 and 2009?

https://newsaero.info/airlines/air-tanz ... ?true=1749

Does anyone plan to try their B787 service on this (long) route? :smile:

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 12:27 am

Once my AF/KL Amex card spends reset to zero (soon) for the next month, tickets with Air Tanzania to JNB will be purchased. Would you suggest to fly in business or economy class in order to publish - if possible/subject to local regulations - a comprehensive trip report in the appropriate section! What would you like to see the most, honestly?

Air Zimbabwe in talks with government to clear its huge debts off! (and they also have received an ERJ145 a/c)
https://newsaero.info/airlines/1777

Evanb, do you understand why BA is reducing frequencies to JNB?
I thought it was a cash cow, and even more during the summer in Europe !

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2019/

SQ317

Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Once my AF/KL Amex card spends reset to zero (soon) for the next month, tickets with Air Tanzania to JNB will be purchased. Would you suggest to fly in business or economy class in order to publish - if possible/subject to local regulations - a comprehensive trip report in the appropriate section! What would you like to see the most, honestly?

Air Zimbabwe in talks with government to clear its huge debts off! (and they also have received an ERJ145 a/c)

BA are switching the slots/frames to BOM I believe in the wake of Jet's collapse, presumably more money to be made there now it's only BA (2 daily 789s, going to 18 weekly) and AI (1 daily B77W); Jet used to fly at least 14 weekly I think, can't remember exactly, nor can I remember what frames they used

northsouthnomad

Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 pm

eastafspot wrote:

BA = Jet Airways Collapse and therefore money to be made in India. These 4 weekly flights were holding the London slots,thought they were planning to use them for Durban, but in the short term more money can be made from lack of India capacity

MoKa777

Sat May 11, 2019 12:44 pm

SQ317 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

BA are switching the slots/frames to BOM I believe in the wake of Jet's collapse, presumably more money to be made there now it's only BA (2 daily 789s, going to 18 weekly) and AI (1 daily B77W); Jet used to fly at least 14 weekly I think, can't remember exactly, nor can I remember what frames they used

northsouthnomad wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

BA = Jet Airways Collapse and therefore money to be made in India. These 4 weekly flights were holding the London slots,thought they were planning to use them for Durban, but in the short term more money can be made from lack of India capacity

Smart move by BA
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

mr02

Sat May 11, 2019 12:56 pm

eastafspot wrote:

What happened with the 4 777-200ER?

evanb

Sat May 11, 2019 4:13 pm

eastafspot wrote:

As others have noted, BA were just babysitting the slot. When they started LHR-DUR (only operated 3x weekly) less than a year ago they used the slots on the other 4 days to add the extra LHR-JNB rotation (in addition to the existing twice daily frequencies - both A380 in southern hemisphere summer, one A380 and one B744 during the southern hemisphere winter).

The removal of this flight only reduced BA capcity to South Africa by 9.5% in the southern hemisphere winter and by 6.1% in the southern hemisphere summer.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 2:58 am

Hi everybody,

Long time no see!
Zambia Airports Corporation Limited (ZACL) released traffic statistics for the first quarter of 2019 ended March 31
In the details, 66,353 passengers were transported on the domestic routes while 328,468 passengers were registered on the international network.

More datas here:
https://newsaero.info/aeroport/zambie-p ... ?true=1795

Yeah, as you can guess with Air Tanzania, the future trip is officially booked.

Until the D-day, you can cross the fingers and pray that everythning will run smoothly with, hopefuly, a little party in Johannesburg – South Africa :smile:
.Image

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Also, a superb trip report about – Namibia here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422701

Stay tuned for more news coming soon!

EastAfspot/ Leonard

chiki

Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 am

mr02 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

At least 2 are expected to be delivered as the gvt claims to have paid for them but we never know with Zim

Sent from my SM-J415F using Tapatalk

mr02

Tue May 21, 2019 9:37 am

chiki wrote:
mr02 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

At least 2 are expected to be delivered as the gvt claims to have paid for them but we never know with Zim

Sent from my SM-J415F using Tapatalk

They should look to lease them or do ACMI services with them. With the 787 RR engine problem they are bound to get a customer.

B747-437B

Fri May 24, 2019 6:51 pm

evanb wrote:

ET's biggest problem with DUR was operational. They couldn't line up the schedules to work with optimal connectivity to/from the right markets due to the long block times, and the ADD-DUR leg was right on the limits of the 737 performance. They tried to tighten the block times to make the connections work on paper, but that just led to misconnects virtually every single day. With these problems, it made more sense for them to serve the limited market via additional JNB frequencies instead and deploy the aircraft elsewhere.

evanb

Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm

B747-437B wrote:
evanb wrote:

ET's biggest problem with DUR was operational. They couldn't line up the schedules to work with optimal connectivity to/from the right markets due to the long block times, and the ADD-DUR leg was right on the limits of the 737 performance. They tried to tighten the block times to make the connections work on paper, but that just led to misconnects virtually every single day. With these problems, it made more sense for them to serve the limited market via additional JNB frequencies instead and deploy the aircraft elsewhere.

Right, but mostly because of the connections to/from South Asia. The ET DUR schedule was as follows:
ET845 ADD0840 – 1350DUR 738 x146
ET844 DUR1440 – 2150ADD 738 x146

The 8:40am departure from ADD meant needing connections from the morning arrival bank in ADD. The more dependent the DUR flight was on DEL and BOM meant the more vulnerable it was since BOM and DEL arrive relatively late in ADD at 6:55 (compared to European arrivals), giving it a 105 minute connection. That was okay, however, on the return it was a different story. DEL and BOM depart ADD at 10:55pm and 11:20pm leaving 65 and 90 minutes, respectively. Timing the DUR flight earlier to give better evening connections made the morning more vulnerable.

If the flight were more dependent on European connections (like CPT and JNB), then it would have been fine since most of the European connections arrives earlier in ADD than BOM and DEL, and leave later from ADD than BOM (although not really DEL).

The challenge was that moving the departure later would invariably mean the return from DUR missing many of the evening departure bank at ADD, or vice versa.

B747-437B

Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 am

evanb wrote:
DEL and BOM depart ADD at 10:55pm and 11:20pm leaving 65 and 90 minutes, respectively. Timing the DUR flight earlier to give better evening connections made the morning more vulnerable.

These are the current (new) timings for DEL/BOM now that they have gone to double daily on both routes. Back when they ran Durban, the BOM flight arrived only at 0800hrs and the outbound was 2120hrs. The connections were simply too tight to work.

evanb

Sat May 25, 2019 2:28 pm

B747-437B wrote:
evanb wrote:
DEL and BOM depart ADD at 10:55pm and 11:20pm leaving 65 and 90 minutes, respectively. Timing the DUR flight earlier to give better evening connections made the morning more vulnerable.

These are the current (new) timings for DEL/BOM now that they have gone to double daily on both routes. Back when they ran Durban, the BOM flight arrived only at 0800hrs and the outbound was 2120hrs. The connections were simply too tight to work.

I think it's more complicated than that. The second daily BOM and DEL flights began in March 2016 while Durban began in December 2015 and ran for about two years. It was only the first 3 to 4 months where they didn't have the double daily BOM and DEL flights. Furthermore, the timings of the second daily BOM and DEL flights were slightly different around that time.

DEL certainly had better timings under the 2017 schedule for DUR connections:
Then: ET686 ADD2305 – 0840+1DEL D (departure from ADD later)
Now: ET686 ADD2255 – 0810+1DEL D
Then: ET687 DEL0210 – 0620ADD D (arrival in ADD earlier)
Now: ET687 DEL0230 – 0655ADD D

BOM was more complicated with worse timings for DUR connections on BOM-ADD (later arrival into ADD):
Then: ET611 BOM0515 – 0750ADD D (ET641 BOM1115 – 1405ADD D didn't help either)
Now: ET611 BOM0400 – 0655ADD D

But better timings on ADD-BOM:
Then: ET610 ADD2100 – 0420+1BOM D (also ET640 ADD2335 – 0715+1BOM D, which is now ET640 ADD1820 – 0205+1BOM D)
Now: ET610 ADD2320 – 0720+1BOM D

Again, the point being that DUR was a different route for ET compared to JNB and CPT. Its traffic was too dominated on BOM and DEL to make it work for ET's network. ET doesn't like a route to be highly concentrated with connections since it compromises the hub model and generates business risk (as you indicated with missed connections, etc). But yes, I think we would agree, that if the flight time was even just 30 minutes shorter each way, that they could have retimed to DUR to make it work.

caleb1

Sat May 25, 2019 7:46 pm

I just want to say that, out of all of the threads on A.net, this is the most civil and most informative discussion of them all. It reminds me of the way A.net used to be. Thank you for that.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 8:51 pm

chiki wrote:

chiki wrote:

Glad you see it as a move forward. Just to be sure, are the Embraer ER145 now painted with the Zimbabwe Airways livery or still wear the "former" (but nice) Air Zimbabwe one?
There was an article recently about them but not sure who to believe!
Are the A320s (2 I would guess) still part of the fleet, or now belong to the ACSA :scratchchin: ?

caleb1 wrote:
I just want to say that, out of all of the threads on A.net, this is the most civil and most informative discussion of them all. It reminds me of the way A.net used to be. Thank you for that.

First of all, many thanks for your kind comment – not personnally for myself, but from all the contributors who are regularly involved here (no name added as the list would be very long and also to avoid any jealousy).
You too, Caleb1, feel free to ask any question, or post any news you want or deem worthy – no need to an expert in aviation / Africa here, everyone is welcome :) .
Secondly, if this thread is not as popular as some weekly same stories you can frequently read here, it might be because some of the new (hardcore) fan members fights elsewhere. But still, rest assured, professionals/mods keep a close eye on every post of every section

Finally, just an idea for 2020, would you prefer the same thread or 2 different threads with Southern Africa + Indian Ocean Islands separately ? Or eventually like before, a global African Aviation thread?

:arrow: Air Namibia Suspends Windhoek – Lagos – Accra Route

In February 2019, the Nigerian High Commissioner to Namibia banned the issuing of visas to Namibian passport holders. In addition, there are messages circulating in Nigeria about Namibia being “anti-Nigeria”, with travellers being urged to avoid visiting Namibia, as well as avoid using Windhoek as a transit point when travelling to South Africa.

The Commercial Services Manager, said that the ban of issuing visas to Namibians can be linked to allegations that Nigerians are normally ill-treated by Namibian border control officials at Hosea Kutako International Airport when arriving or transiting through Windhoek.

The load factor performance of the route dropped from average 55% attained during June 2018 to January 2019, to between 35% and 38% during February to April 2019.

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/afr ... cra-route/

mr02

Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 am

I doubt ACSA may pound UM's A320's. I know that 1 A320 is parked at JNB awaiting maintenance.

3BNBE

Wed May 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Air Mauritius will start a twice weekly service between Mauritius(MRU) and Seychelles(SEZ) as from 2 July 2019, operated by an A319. MK will be in competition with Air Seychelles(HM) which offers 5 weekly flights between the 2 Indian Ocean islands.

MK320 MRU0830 - 1110SEZ 319 2
MK320 MRU2230 - 0110+1SEZ 319 5

MK321 SEZ1200 - 1440MRU 2 319 2
MK321 SEZ0220 - 0500MRU 6 319 6

737max8

Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 pm

evanb wrote:
737max8 wrote:

As a follow up, our flight in on QR and flight out on EK both had 100+ open seats. It was great! The weather was also really nice, partly cloudy and sunshine. No rain. Loved loved loved Cape Town!

shankly

Wed May 29, 2019 4:56 pm

eastafspot wrote:
How does it connect at both ends?

2240 at CPT?...thats the end of the road, with no internal flights possible and not too desirable to be heading East up the N2 that time of night

I looked at using the Austrian flights as a means of getting to LHR earleir this year but could not secure a connecting flight....
L1011 - P F M

mr02

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:38 am

Just woke up to the news that the SAA CEO has resigned. It's unfortunate but this might be the chance for someone with aviation experience to take charge of SAA.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/wh ... hy-resign/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos