peterinlisbon

Re: Maghreb & North African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 am

eastafspot wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

It's not about being eco-friendly, it's about being practical. There is no sense in providing flights from small towns with extremely low demand when there is a much bigger airport just a couple of hours away.

RAM could provide feed from Rabat, Kenitra, Beni Mellal and Marrakech to Casablanca airport with a bus service. They could either do this themselves and that would allow them to sell tickets from these cities or they could just encourage a company such as CTM to stop at the airport on some of its existing services.

Particularly in the case of Marrakech, they are really missing out - Marrakech is just 2 hours away from Casablanca airport and it is Morocco's number 1 tourist destination. If they provided a shuttle bus to Marrakech train station, that would vastly increase the appeal of Casablanca airport and RAM to tourists visiting Morocco.

Interesting facts peterinlisbon as, KL does the same on the Ottawa-Montreal or Toronto route in Canada with a bus service connecting to the flight to AMS..
However, Canada not being Morocco, are you sure about the 2h drive? I mean, from town to town or from town to the airport (which I really doubt, considering how recklessly fellow North African citizens are driving and how long you can spend time arguing for a minor incident with officials... :roll: ). The roads are OK but what about - speaking in general - other general issues...?
Thus at least, this kind of service provides a seamless experience from start to finish. What about essential air parcel from these remote areas?

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Marrakech airport was expanded significantly a few years ago and has flights from all over Europe. Very few people who are travelling to/from Marrakech would travel by land and use Casablanca airport - probably something just for a.netters...

Blerg wrote:
According to Wikipedia, Ryanair will be discontinuing its Budapest-Marrakesh flights from 04.11.2019.

That's a grim news!
Will CMN get another destination from FR to replace BUD or central Europe?

That's a shame to hear they stopped the Budapest flight. Regarding roads in Morocco, the highways are very good and perhaps better than a lot of the roads in the USA/Canada. Morocco has a network of brand new 3 lane motorways with very light traffic, so you can get around very quickly. Renting a car can be a good idea if you want to travel around the country and visit a lot of different places - you can go to the mountains, the smaller cities, the desert and the beaches etc. As far as driving is concerned, you have to be careful to always obey the speed limits and signs as they have a lot of police with radars around. It's actually quite relaxing to drive in Morocco as long as you stay out of the cities.

In large Moroccan cities, though, I'd recommend NOT having a car as the traffic is crazy - motorbikes, taxis, pedestrians and extremely narrow roads. I'd say the same about Tunisia - a car is really useful to have once you get outside of Tunis.

I did see that Moroccan railways has sped up its services between Casablanca and Marrakech, so it is now possible to get from Casablanca Airport to Marrakech in 3h30m (via Oasis station). The new TGV also makes it quite quick to the north of Morocco and prices are low, so I imagine these factors make Casablanca airport more of an option for people living in these places. I think also the fact that domestic flights are cheaper now may also help.

Although Marrakech is the most famous place for tourism, Casablanca is still the biggest airport in Morocco and it is more important for outbound traffic. Plus, it has most of the long-haul flights to places like Dubai, Qatar, New York etc.

Blerg

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Air Senegal launches daily flights to Casablanca starting from 03.12.2019.

Dakar – Casablanca eff 03DEC19 1 daily A319
HC331 DSS0130 – 0545CMN 319 D
HC332 CMN1045 – 1315DSS 319 D

Is the flight sitting on the ground so long because of connections from RAM?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... on-in-w19/

Humberside

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm not sure about any RAM connections, but it looks to me like it maybe related to Air Senegal's hub structure. Longer flights to CDG, and their new BCN/MRS 'triangle' leave DSS at around the same time as CMN, and return at around the same time as CMN. The link you posted gives some good examples of how Air Senegal are timing flights at DSS
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Xccc

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Air arabia is ordering 120 planes. Do you know anything that will they expand air arabia maroc? Is there any kind of expansion plans for air arabia maroc?

Cunard

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 am

The Air Arabia order for 120 aircraft will probably take into account the new LCC airline being formed with Etihad Airways not necessarily expansion of Air Arabia Moroc although I should imagine that they would receive some additional aircraft from that order.

With regards to Air Arabia Moroc I'm surprised by the fact that they are decreasing their presence at Agadir. I was expecting them at some point to start a link to LGW to add to their existing flights from Fez, Marrakesh and Tangier.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

peterinlisbon

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:06 pm

eastafspot wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

It's not about being eco-friendly, it's about being practical. There is no sense in providing flights from small towns with extremely low demand when there is a much bigger airport just a couple of hours away.

RAM could provide feed from Rabat, Kenitra, Beni Mellal and Marrakech to Casablanca airport with a bus service. They could either do this themselves and that would allow them to sell tickets from these cities or they could just encourage a company such as CTM to stop at the airport on some of its existing services.

Particularly in the case of Marrakech, they are really missing out - Marrakech is just 2 hours away from Casablanca airport and it is Morocco's number 1 tourist destination. If they provided a shuttle bus to Marrakech train station, that would vastly increase the appeal of Casablanca airport and RAM to tourists visiting Morocco.

Interesting facts peterinlisbon as, KL does the same on the Ottawa-Montreal or Toronto route in Canada with a bus service connecting to the flight to AMS..
However, Canada not being Morocco, are you sure about the 2h drive? I mean, from town to town or from town to the airport (which I really doubt, considering how recklessly fellow North African citizens are driving and how long you can spend time arguing for a minor incident with officials... :roll: ). The roads are OK but what about - speaking in general - other general issues...?
Thus at least, this kind of service provides a seamless experience from start to finish. What about essential air parcel from these remote areas?

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Marrakech airport was expanded significantly a few years ago and has flights from all over Europe. Very few people who are travelling to/from Marrakech would travel by land and use Casablanca airport - probably something just for a.netters...

Correct!
Marrakech city and surroundings prove to be much more attractive for a large EU sun seekers/retired people (incl one of my early 40yo friend who invested initially €29K in a run down villa in the outskirts, 8 years ago) than Casablanca - It ain't going to change any time soon!
This good friend of mine with his family, living in between SXB and STR, prefer to frequently travel there back and forth using the cheapest airline available; and he is holding a valid point especially since he enjoy spending time for a wee renovation or upgrading week during kids holidays or during their frequent extended weekends! :lol:

Blerg wrote:
According to Wikipedia, Ryanair will be discontinuing its Budapest-Marrakesh flights from 04.11.2019.

That's a grim news!
Will CMN get another destination from FR to replace BUD or central Europe?

:arrow: Egyptair resumes its seasonal route between Cairo and Osaka in 77W.
From December 16th, 2019 to May 6th, 2020.

In French:
https://newsaero.info/airlines/egyptair ... ?true=2233

For fellow a.net member TS-IOR:

:arrow: Tunisair: traffic drop of 20.9% in August:
https://www.aero-news.org/2019/09/09/tu ... -estivale/

The roads in Morocco are pretty good. It has a good motorway network with new roads and a speed limit of 120 km/h. Outside of the cities, Morocco is a fairly easy place to drive because traffic is very light. With a car you can reach a lot of places that would otherwise be difficult to reach, such as the mountains near Marrakech.

Marrakech airport has been massively expanded with a new terminal but it still doesn't get a lot of long-haul traffic. I think right now the only options are Turkish Airlines (if you can call that long-haul) and Qatar's triangle route stopping in Casablanca. Whilst Europe has direct flights to Marrakech and other places in Morocco, a lot of people are flying into Casablanca to get to Marrakech from places like Dubai, Kuwait etc.

I'd imagine that in the future airlines like Tunisair, Egyptair, Emirates and a few others might start direct flights to Marrakech. I think the potential is there because people don't like wasting half a day at the beginning and end of their trip to get to/from Casablanca by land. Even though the distance is not much, the absence of any direct bus service makes it slow. On the other hand, they have just speeded up the train line to Marrakech so the total time from Casa Airport to Marrakech is now 3h30m instead of 4h30m.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:55 am

Anyone can now book online through:

https://www.flyegypt.com

A very good news from Egypt. Hope more will follow, especialy from D.G. if possible!
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

TS-IOR

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Nouvelair will be flying TUN-BRU 3 times a week as of S20 and adding SXB as well. BRU has been a Tunisair undeliberate monopoly since SABENA ended operations. Insider also told me Nouvelair has been granted traffic rights for a London airport, more likely LGW, as well as Casablanca. If so, TUN-CMN will see four 4 operators competing or is it.. fighting!
Tunisair Express brand new ATR72-600 was expected to be delivered new from TLS on Saturday Nov.9, but was postponed for unknown reasons. Reg. will be TS-LBF.

Blerg

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:13 am

Air Serbia, for the first time ever, will operate charter flights to Morocco (Fez and Marrakesh). From what I've seen flights will operate in March 2020. Moroccan government did try to get more Serbian tourists but RAM turned them down. Luckily Air Serbia is there to step in.

davidjohnson6

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:31 am

CH Aviation has an article (behind a paywall) about the Moroccan Govt wanting a restructuring of Royal Air Maroc
I'm aware that RAM has been going begging to Rabat for a new susbidy scheme but haven't heard anything since. Google doesn't seem to throw up anything particularly recent - anyone know more about the situation ?
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... tructuring

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 pm

:arrow: Does anyone know why Royal Air Maroc is switching from North Tenerife to South Tenerife? Distance? Cost? Infrastructure?
Also, how will the interline partnership with AA benefit to the Moroccan flag carrier?

:arrow: More Tunisair staff to be layed off, incl 400 in February 2020...
If TU disappears from the radar, which airline will take over the prime position?

Sorry in French
https://www.lechotouristique.com/articl ... 0-des-2020

Anyway, glad to read that for once, a delay from TU was clearly justified, for sure pax will still complain no matter what :sarcastic:
https://www.realites.com.tn/2019/12/un- ... e-a-milan/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

qf789

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:58 pm

Please continue discussion in 2020 thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437957
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos