eastafspot
Topic Author

Re: Maghreb & North African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Blerg wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
Blerg wrote:
This is also an interesting part of the article:

The sources added that within the plane wreckage, the investigation authorities discovered traces of explosive materials in some of the remains of the victims and remnants of the plane, found in the presence of French experts. Therefore, the Ministry of Aviation filed a claim to the Egyptian public prosecutor confirming that the plane was sabotaged when it was in Paris’ Charles de Gaulle Airport, turning the case into a criminal incident and not a case of technical malfunction in the plane, the source added.

So what was it in the end? A fire onboard or an explosive going off?

Any link?

Seems like I forgot to add the link, this is not the same but says pretty much the same thing:
https://ww.egyptindependent.com/french- ... e-in-2016/

Thanks, a refreshing version of the facts, always good to read from both side :smile: .
CVR and FDR have been recovered a while ago - not sure about the date though, why does it take so long to get a ( or even a part of the) transcript?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 8:48 pm

:arrow: As Mauritania Airlines became first E175 operator on African continent, are they still flying to CDG?

:arrow: Fierce clashes around Tripoli International Airport in Libya:
https://www.libyanexpress.com/fierce-cl ... l-airport/

There was a plan recently to relaunch a regional/continental airline (can't remember the name), for sure this will affect/postpone the timing...

:arrow: SudanAir receives promises on its planes' renovation.
https://allafrica.com/stories/201905100582.html

Leasing or even 2nd hand purchases would not be wiser if they should remain a safe airline?

:arrow: Tunisair back to growth in global activity including a 3.1% increase in passenger traffic on European destinations:
- Load factors improved from 77.5% in April 2018 to 80.6% in April 2019
- North America (Montreal), with 1.2% passenger share, increased of 8.0%

But what is truly shocking (not sure there is a typo or not) is TU on time performance (OTP) :wideeyed: , at the very end of the article:

“The punctuality of the TU fleet reached 32% in April 2019 against 41% in April 2018”

https://www.aero-news.org/2019/05/13/tu ... ropeennes/

How can passengers book tickets with a such airline, with an almost guaranteed delay?
Do they pay EU 261/2004 compensation (at least ) on time?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

AsoRock

Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm

eastafspot wrote:
:arrow: As Mauritania Airlines became first E175 operator on African continent, are they still flying to CDG?

:arrow: Fierce clashes around Tripoli International Airport in Libya:
https://www.libyanexpress.com/fierce-cl ... l-airport/

There was a plan recently to relaunch a regional/continental airline (can't remember the name), for sure this will affect/postpone the timing...

:arrow: SudanAir receives promises on its planes' renovation.
https://allafrica.com/stories/201905100582.html

Leasing or even 2nd hand purchases would not be wiser if they should remain a safe airline?

:arrow: Tunisair back to growth in global activity including a 3.1% increase in passenger traffic on European destinations:

But what is truly shocking (not sure there is a typo or not) is TU on time performance (OTP) :wideeyed: , at the very end of the article:

“The punctuality of the TU fleet reached 32% in April 2019 against 41% in April 2018”

How can passengers book tickets with a such airline, with an almost guaranteed delay?

Tunisair’s punctuality disaster relates to its labour strife and cash flow issues. This airline is a relic of the past and has failed to evolve and modernize with the times. With an open skies agreement with the EU imminent (tourism destinations) and Tunis the capital within a few years, I don’t see how it can compete and survive for that matter. So much work needs to be done, and I’m of the opinion that a foreign technical partner and investor is required.

PapaAlpha

Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm

AsoRock wrote:

Tunisair’s punctuality disaster relates to its labour strife and cash flow issues. This airline is a relic of the past and has failed to evolve and modernize with the times. With an open skies agreement with the EU imminent (tourism destinations) and Tunis the capital within a few years, I don’t see how it can compete and survive for that matter. So much work needs to be done, and I’m of the opinion that a foreign technical partner and investor is required.

This year high season will be a disaster, they already remove 750 flights from schedule more than 200K seats based on only 20 A/C and today cabinet approve some urgent decisions like more WetLeases, Cash injection to TunisairTechnics, and the 1200 Labors cut... but the most important is a 5 years plan to retrieve better KPI's...
Hope that this time unions will not interfere and turn it to disaster...

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 pm

Next summer, Turkish Airlines will launch a new route between Casablanca and Antalya. With this addition, the economic heart of the Kingdom of Morocco will now be connected to two Turkish cities.

Schedules & timings available here :
https://newsaero.info/airlines/1797

AsoRock wrote:

What do you exactly mean with this :
« With an open skies agreement with the EU imminent (tourism destinations) and Tunis the capital within a few years » ?

A few days ago a TV reportage, aired on a national French channel, said that tourism is bouncing back in Tunisia (something like +34% up to 54% can't remember exactly).
How did they deal with the strike ? As now it looks ok..
A good news is that Eurowings sends pax from Germany during this summer to Monastir and Tunis :smile:

PapaAlpha wrote:
AsoRock wrote:

This year high season will be a disaster, they already remove 750 flights from schedule more than 200K seats based on only 20 A/C and today cabinet approve some urgent decisions like more WetLeases, Cash injection to TunisairTechnics, and the 1200 Labors cut... but the most important is a 5 years plan to retrieve better KPI's...
Hope that this time unions will not interfere and turn it to disaster...

Is the high season still in July-August or like recently shifted towards December/January ?
Which destinations will be the most impacted by the 750 flights cancellations ?

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 pm

:arrow: AtlasGlobal Airlines and Air Astana to Sharm el Sheikh (SSH) - Egypt:

Since May 8, AtlasGlobal Airlines has started two weekly rotations between Antalya and Sharm el Sheikh. The route is served with a mixed fleet Airbus A321 and A330.

Air Astana will begin flights to the Egyptian coast on June 10th of June with two weekly flights on Monday and Thursday in B767 configured in 30 seats in Business class and 193 seats in Economy class.

https://newsaero.info/airlines/atlasglo ... ?true=1819

Why Air Astana to Egypt? :roll:

Tunisair, the agreed rescue plan?
Among other decisions:

It was decided to homogenize the Tunisair Express fleet. The CRJ and the two current ATRs will be sold and replaced within six months by three new ATR 72-600 aircraft, confirmed the Minister of Transport, Hichem Ben Ahmed who also said that the domestic lines will be subsidized by the State. In order to maintain them. Meanwhile, as of June 1st, Tunisair Express will introduce into its fleet a leased Boeing 737-500 to ensure its vital needs including the Tunis-Djerba route.

More details and infos here:
https://www.aero-news.org/2019/05/21/la ... e-details/

PapaAlpha

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:52 pm

eastafspot wrote:

Is the high season still in July-August or like recently shifted towards December/January ?
Which destinations will be the most impacted by the 750 flights cancellations ?

I don't know which destination are impacted but today the CCO of Tunisair saying that since May they cancels 30% of the flights and recover more than 70% of ponctuality... I think that most canceled flight are multi weekly flight for example going from 4 weekly to 3 or 2... and charter flights but they keep of course Hajj and Umra flights...

https://www.webmanagercenter.com/2019/0 ... tiendront/

It's in french but it speak about the relation between government, the Airport Authority and Tunisair... I'm sure that the Airport Authority will own Tunisair in few years...

BrusselsSouth

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:32 pm

eastafspot wrote:

Why Air Astana to Egypt? :roll:

I'm no expert on the topic, but I was in Almaty (Kazakhstan) last week and noticed quite a few advertisements for Egyptian resorts, in particular Sharm El Sheikh (your link mentions an ALA-SSH flight).

As it turns out, there was a huge billboard near the airport car park in Almaty, promoting an SSH resort.

My guess is that Kazakhs from the Almaty area (not sure about other parts of the country) are appealed by vacation to (relatively) cheap all inclusive resorts around the Med. I've met a few of them in the Antalya area, and would not be surprised if Sharm El Sheikh had a similar appeal to them.

Regards,
BrusselsSouth

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 pm

:arrow: TUNISAIR is now operating from the new Terminal 2 at Casablanca Airport. Ay news from the shining ALG terminal 3?
https://www.aero-news.org/2019/05/28/tu ... asablanca/

:arrow: EGYPTAIR will receive its third Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner this month.
The SU-GEU registered aircraft undergoes the latest tests in Everett's Boeing workshops. Powered by RR Trent 1000, the aircraft can accommodate up to 309 seats with 30 seats in Business class and 279 seats in Economy class.

https://newsaero.info/airlines/egyptair ... ?true=1838

So which routes will see a change/upgauge on MS ?

PapaAlpha wrote:
I don't know which destination are impacted but today the CCO of Tunisair saying that since May they cancels 30% of the flights and recover more than 70% of ponctuality... I think that most canceled flight are multi weekly flight for example going from 4 weekly to 3 or 2... and charter flights but they keep of course Hajj and Umra flights...

https://www.webmanagercenter.com/2019/0 ... tiendront/

It's in french but it speak about the relation between government, the Airport Authority and Tunisair... I'm sure that the Airport Authority will own Tunisair in few years...

Hajj and Umra flights are certainly, as one can guess, their bread and butter...
The very interesting part in your article linked is about "the no state interference" in TU management here and after:
"Nous avons aussi obtenu ce pourquoi nous luttons depuis presque 20 ans : la gouvernance, notre autonomie de gestion."

Do you really think it will ever happen, let alone Airport Authority owning TU then after?
Maybe when this will occur they will lay off/fire staff (as planned?) to make the group more competitive.

BrusselsSouth wrote:
I'm no expert on the topic, but I was in Almaty (Kazakhstan) last week and noticed quite a few advertisements for Egyptian resorts, in particular Sharm El Sheikh (your link mentions an ALA-SSH flight).

As it turns out, there was a huge billboard near the airport car park in Almaty, promoting an SSH resort.

My guess is that Kazakhs from the Almaty area (not sure about other parts of the country) are appealed by vacation to (relatively) cheap all inclusive resorts around the Med. I've met a few of them in the Antalya area, and would not be surprised if Sharm El Sheikh had a similar appeal to them.

Regards,
BrusselsSouth

Very interesting comments BrusselsSouth, How was it and where did you go?
I've heard this country is definitely booming with no end and now, a few large citiies with skyscrapers look much more modern than western well established "towns".
Indeed, after checking the Wikipedia page of SSH (Yeah I know about Wikipedia... ;) ), kudos for your accurate observation. It looks like half if not more of the airlines (incl. charters) are from Central Asia/ Eastern Europe (13?) have their landing rights there and even exceed most western European countries hands down.
The Black or Caspian Sea might see a decrease in the tourist numbers. Maybe a visa issue with Persian Gulf?

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 pm

EgyptAir goes to Dulles for 2nd US destination:

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2019/ ... stination/

PapaAlpha

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:37 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Hajj and Umra flights are certainly, as one can guess, their bread and butter...
The very interesting part in your article linked is about "the no state interference" in TU management here and after:
"Nous avons aussi obtenu ce pourquoi nous luttons depuis presque 20 ans : la gouvernance, notre autonomie de gestion."

Do you really think it will ever happen, let alone Airport Authority owning TU then after?
Maybe when this will occur they will lay off/fire staff (as planned?) to make the group more competitive.

Hajj is not that much moneymakers than they thinks... Lots of delays, positions flights, maximum MOTW... This make the whole fleet and flight schedule under maximum pressure... but its good for crew, for handling team bcz they position a full team in JED and MED for the season... Umra is good bcz you can load pax on both ways... and schedule is generally respected...

For the TU management they will get the same status than Tunisie Telecom... The board will have more flexibility to decide specially in hiring experts, crews, and also some investment opportunity in spare parts, engines, or planes that are good deals in market...

I think also that the government is preparing the group for an international partner, the homework will be done for the Tunisian Airport Authority...

By the way GetJet position today an A330-302 LY-LEO from KUN to TUN for the summer season on wet lease to Tunisair...

@+

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:04 pm

PapaAlpha wrote:
For the TU management they will get the same status than Tunisie Telecom... The board will have more flexibility to decide specially in hiring experts, crews, and also some investment opportunity in spare parts, engines, or planes that are good deals in market...
I think also that the government is preparing the group for an international partner, the homework will be done for the Tunisian Airport Authority...

Your explanations for Hajj and Umra makes sense.
It should have been done long time ago, hope the turn around will come sooner rather than later.
Could QR be a potential investor in the group?

PapaAlpha wrote:
By the way GetJet position today an A330-302 LY-LEO from KUN to TUN for the summer season on wet lease to Tunisair...

Apparently TU uses to deal with GetJet for various missions.
ORY aside, where the sleek heavy can be sent to? BRU, Germany?

:arrow: Looks like (international) traffic in Sudan was resumed this morning, as few flights departed today (EY, EK, ET and Air Arabia)..
Yesterday, Sudan airspace was empty as most mayor airlines cancelled their flights.
Why SV or FlyDubai (among others) opted for cancellations today also.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:29 am

:arrow: Edelweiss Air will introduce its Airbus A330-300 on routes to North Africa, replacing the A320 between Zurich and Djerba in Tunisia from September 28th to October 19th, 2019, as well as on the Zurich - Hurghada route, from September 29th to October 27th, 2019.

https://newsaero.info/airlines/edelweis ... ?true=1874

:arrow: Cancellation of a flight of Saudi Arabian Airlines and arrest of its crew, any more news on that? :eyebrow:

These people are accused of violently assaulting another crewmember after a night out at a hotel in Gammarth. Their victim was found in critical condition by the hotel pool and had to be hospitalized in intensive care.

https://www.aero-news.org/2019/06/17/an ... -equipage/

:arrow: Royal Air Maroc, Africa's best regional Airline according to Skytrax, congrats to them anyway :smile:

RAM787

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:51 pm

https://ibb.co/6mkbctF

Just thought it was interesting how Royal Air Maroc's long haul operation has expanded over the years. I screenshots this from flightradar and counted 8 of RAM's 787 in the air right now. 4 of them the new 787-9.

PapaAlpha

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:08 am

QR will upjauge the flight to Tunis QR1399/QR1400 starting from JUL01 to A350-900. Until today the flight is done by a B787-8.

PapaAlpha

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:16 am

eastafspot wrote:

:arrow: Cancellation of a flight of Saudi Arabian Airlines and arrest of its crew, any more news on that? :eyebrow:

These people are accused of violently assaulting another crewmember after a night out at a hotel in Gammarth. Their victim was found in critical condition by the hotel pool and had to be hospitalized in intensive care.

The Cabin Crew is finally dead... There are poor english report but i found this in arabic

https://www.watanserb.com/2019/06/26/%D ... %88%D8%AF/

PapaAlpha

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:16 am

eastafspot wrote:

The Cabin Crew is finally dead... There are poor english report but i found this in arabic

SeanM1997

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Royal Air Maroc will launch 1x weekly flight between Rabat (RBA) to London Gatwick (LGW) flight starting 31 October 2019 with E190 aircraft. This new route will complement the 2x weekly Rabat to London Heathrow (LHR) flights:

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 18401?s=19

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm

RAM787 wrote:

Just thought it was interesting how Royal Air Maroc's long haul operation has expanded over the years. I screenshots this from flightradar and counted 8 of RAM's 787 in the air right now. 4 of them the new 787-9.

Impressive, but all of them outside Africa! :crying:
JNB could be a potential candidate destination for a 787

PapaAlpha wrote:

OMG, RIP :pray:
Do you mind translating briefly the article?
Is the crew still jailed in Tunisia? Conditions must be somewhat better in Tunisia than in KSA...

SeanM1997 wrote:
Royal Air Maroc will launch 1x weekly flight between Rabat (RBA) to London Gatwick (LGW) flight starting 31 October 2019 with E190 aircraft. This new route will complement the 2x weekly Rabat to London Heathrow (LHR) flights:

This will be London 3rd airport linked to RBA.
Why would a pax choose the full service RAM over the low cost airline FR (to STN)? Bet that this AT flight won't last long

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 pm

:arrow: Tunisair to renovate its Business class:
Tunisair on Tuesday received many of its Fidelys members and travel agencies to participate in the test of seats for the business class of the next aircraft (A320 cabin neo), which will be available from year 2021/2022, as part of its new purchases.
https://www.aero-news.org/2019/06/27/tu ... -affaires/

:arrow: Royal Air Maroc returns to Rotterdam from Nador and Tanger: (Did not know than VFR traffic was that much important in Holland).
https://newsaero.info/airlines/royal-ai ... ?true=1932

:arrow: Egyptair receives its fourth 787-9:
https://newsaero.info/airlines/egyptair ... ?true=1919

mr02

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 pm

eastafspot wrote:
:arrow: Egyptair receives its fourth 787-9:
https://newsaero.info/airlines/egyptair ... ?true=1919

Egypair is underrated.

Avionics09

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:18 pm

eastafspot wrote:

:arrow: Royal Air Maroc returns to Rotterdam from Nador and Tanger: (Did not know than VFR traffic was that much important in Holland).
https://newsaero.info/airlines/royal-ai ... ?true=1932

Doesn't sound like you have visited the Netherlands before. There is a huge population Dutch-Moroccans. The mayor of Rotterdam is Dutch-Moroccan if that says anything ;)

RAM787

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:14 pm

eastafspot wrote:
RAM787 wrote:

Well if it makes you feel any better I saw RAM use a 787-9 on the CMN-Dakar route about a week ago. A big upgauge from the usual 737-800. Maybe for the summer.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:35 pm

mr02 wrote:
Egypair is underrated.

Really? Out of curiosity, why do you think so? Because they are expanding in Africa (DLA soon and KGL recently), or just renewing quickly their fleet?

Avionics09 wrote:
Doesn't sound like you have visited the Netherlands before. There is a huge population Dutch-Moroccans. The mayor of Rotterdam is Dutch-Moroccan if that says anything ;)

Very nice to learn something new today, thanks a lot for that Avionics09. What are the historic links? I thought that Spain, Italy, France, Germany or Greece would see a larger community...
I did "visit" twice Amsterdam like 5 and 12 years ago but, as you can guess, just for a week-end long only with friends each time, you know.... ;)
Just to be sure, does Transavia operate all year round or seasonal to secondary cities in Morocco from AMS/RTM?

RAM787 wrote:
Well if it makes you feel any better I saw RAM use a 787-9 on the CMN-Dakar route about a week ago. A big upgauge from the usual 737-800. Maybe for the summer.

Your extra info is useful for all other readers too ;)
Maybe Senegal represents a huge market for RAM, which was a main shareholder of the now defunct Air Senegal International...
If RAM operates at CMN as a hub, any other destinations during the day time are welcoming these wide bodies before going to America/EU? CAI maybe, what about DXB?
By the way, what could be the busiest route/most profitable route for RAM outside EU or Morocco?

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Probably (if not certainly) mentioned in one of Canadian Aviation posts/threads:

:arrow: Canada's Minister of Transport, the Honorable Marc Garneau, announced on July 2 the expansion of the aviation agreement with Tunisia, allowing designated airlines to operate more weekly scheduled flights between the two countries. .

Canada and Tunisia have agreed to increase up to 4 rotations per week, the number of flights on the Tunis-Montreal route. Tunisair is currently the only airline operating on this route in Airbus A330.200. The Tunis-Montreal service represents 1.1% of the shares of the Tunisian carrier's market.

https://newsaero.info/institutions/la-t ... ?true=1937

mr02

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:26 pm

eastafspot wrote:
mr02 wrote:
Egypair is underrated.

Really? Out of curiosity, why do you think so? Because they are expanding in Africa (DLA soon and KGL recently), or just renewing quickly their fleet?

I meant that they don't receive the recognition that ET,KQ or SA get.

mr02

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:40 pm

eastafspot wrote:
RAM787 wrote:

Relationship between South Africa and Morocco is not the best.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:28 pm

mr02 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
mr02 wrote:
Egypair is underrated.

I meant that they don't receive the recognition that ET,KQ or SA get.

Do you think that, according to Skytrax, being clogged between 3 South African low cost airlines represents a bad ranking? Some of the recent events must have played a part in the "negative" image. What about the Trump embargo on laptops in the Middle East/Africa a few years ago?
What is the best ranking of a dry airline overall (incl. RBA)? I did not search yet - but just wondering :smile: ...
But then, if anyone has traffic numbers to put in to perspective?

Cunard

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:57 am

eastafspot wrote:
RAM787 wrote:

PapaAlpha wrote:

OMG, RIP :pray:
Do you mind translating briefly the article?
Is the crew still jailed in Tunisia? Conditions must be somewhat better in Tunisia than in KSA...

SeanM1997 wrote:

Why would a pax choose the full service RAM over the low cost airline FR (to STN)? Bet that this AT flight won't last long

EASTAFSPOT

LGW-RBA is actually a resumption not a new route for AT.

AT previously flew twice weekly RBA to LGW, it stopped in 2017 and RBA to LHR was added in 2018.

AT also used to fly from RAK to LGW until 2018, they currently fly to LGW from CMN five times a week.

Good to see AT expanding once again at LGW.

On a side note I'm rather surprised that Air Arabia Maroc haven't started a flight from Agadir to LGW yet as they currently fly from Agadir to Manchester.

Although I could potentially see British Airways eventually resuming LGW to Agadir at some point.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Cunard wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:

EASTAFSPOT

LGW-RBA is actually a resumption not a new route for AT.

AT previously flew twice weekly RBA to LGW, it stopped in 2017 and RBA to LHR was added in 2018.

AT also used to fly from RAK to LGW until 2018, they currently fly to LGW from CMN five times a week.

Good to see AT expanding once again at LGW.

On a side note I'm rather surprised that Air Arabia Maroc haven't started a flight from Agadir to LGW yet as they currently fly from Agadir to Manchester.

Although I could potentially see British Airways eventually resuming LGW to Agadir at some point.

Much appreciated precisions CUNARD,
But why AT would focus on LGW whereas their ops at LHR are quite important? Moreover every airline in the world - currently- fight for getting slots there?

Is the new Thomas COOK flight LGW to RAK starting in November (MT262/3) made to compete with AT - joining OW soon - or just seasonal, or as package deal for bucket and spade type only?

Other news:

:arrow: Emirates returns to Khartoum in Sudan:

In a statement issued on July 4, 2019, the airline announced that it will serve the Sudanese capital daily.

Hope it will stay like that after the unrest and recent troubles. Good luck to EK - also Sudan needs more connectivity :smile:

Cunard

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:24 am

Thomas Cook Airlines operating from LGW to RAK is purely a package holiday seasonal charter flight that operates on behalf of it's parent company Thomas Cook Airlines.

Thomas Cook Airlines starting LGW to RAK as no relevance to AT joining Oneworld.

The Thomas Cook Airlines isn't really competing with the scheduled flights from British Airways and Royal Air Maroc....two totally different markets.

With regards to AT operating from LGW, the airline has served London's second airport for many decades alongside LHR.

AT may well have had the slots at LGW to accommodate the resumption of RBA as they had previously flew to LGW from RAK alongside the airline's current five times weekly flights from CMM.

Hopefully once AT finally joins Oneworld we might see a code share with AT on LGW to CMM and with the possibility of the route going daily.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

TS-IOR

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:33 am

Asking about the new terminal at ALG above, it is open now and operational. All European airlines plus Air Canada are in. All airlines from Arab countries remained at the old building. During the first days miscommunication made travelers get lost finding which terminal are they leaving.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:25 pm

TS-IOR wrote:
Asking about the new terminal at ALG above, it is open now and operational. All European airlines plus Air Canada are in. All airlines from Arab countries remained at the old building. During the first days miscommunication made travelers get lost finding which terminal are they leaving.

Whaou, nice to get some first hand impressions!
Cheers "TS-IOR",wish you contribute more/often on this thread with your insights about TU and more globaly with Maghreb / mediterranean topics.
With Algeria qualified to the final of the AFCON for their first time, have you noticed any difference, like full charter or crazy supporters? Any special special flights planned on Friday?

TU planned to revamp its J class, is it true?

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:56 am

:arrow: Egyptair will start operating its Airbus A220-300 in September

TS-IOR

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Tunisair is planning to revamp the J class with the forthcoming Neo scheduled to be delivered in 2020. It's been rumoured for late 19 then postponed for 20 or 21.. God knows, but they are choosing the seats and the IFE. Here is a link with the suggested interior. https://www.facebook.com/TUNISAIR.OFFIC ... =3&theater

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 pm

TS-IOR wrote:
Tunisair is planning to revamp the J class with the forthcoming Neo scheduled to be delivered in 2020. It's been rumoured for late 19 then postponed for 20 or 21.. God knows, but they are choosing the seats and the IFE. Here is a link with the suggested interior. https://www.facebook.com/TUNISAIR.OFFIC ... =3&theater

Glad to see the update so quickly! Thanks a lot TS-IOR for the news and photos!
Announcement posted here at reply #69 did not appear so promising, but after your FB link, it looks like TU wants to play at another level - well done! :smile:

As a non TU flyer myself, the future seat would be the middle left. One can enjoy a real cradle seat in case of Mediterranean crossing. Colors seem appropriate for this cabin!

But, what about you TS-IOR? What suits best for the next travelling generations? Considering the neighbour (RAM), joining the most powerful alliance.... what are TU plans?

Please keep us updated about Tunisair's next choice for premium cabins, or any relevent news available as what you did!

By the way, do you know if Tunisia tourism is bouncing back? Are airlines increasing frequencies more to TUN, DJE or NBE?
UK would be a bet, due to large DJE resorts in that case!

Egyptair receives its sixth and final Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner on order:

https://newsaero.info/airlines/le-compt ... ?true=2057

Can they go to LAX, non stop? or launch new routes to the US? ;)

AngelsDecay

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Sometime ago a read somewhere that Sudanese Badr Airlines would be the first airline in decades starting regular services with 737Ng between Khartoum and some EU capitals.. Any updates on this..?

ahj2000

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:46 am

AngelsDecay wrote:
Sometime ago a read somewhere that Sudanese Badr Airlines would be the first airline in decades starting regular services with 737Ng between Khartoum and some EU capitals.. Any updates on this..?

Doubt it? While there may have been an agreement Saturday, it seems unlikely that all the sudden Sudan will be launched into wealth/power/direct flights into PAR/LON.
-Andrés Juánez

eastafspot
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Due to Aigle Azur shutdown operations, AF will increase seat capacity to Algiers (ALG) and Bamako (BKO) - Mali:
AF is also offering special fares to Aigle Azur ticket holders:

Saturday 7 September :
AF4158 Paris Orly (ORY) 4.00 pm Algiers (ALG) 5.20 pm
AF4159 Algiers (ALG) 7.30pm Paris Orly (ORY) 11.00 pm

Sunday 8 and Monday 9 September :
AF4150 Paris Orly (ORY) 07.40 am Algiers (ALG) 09.00 am
AF4151 Algiers (ALG) 11.00 am Paris Orly (ORY) 2.30 pm

In addition, we have implemented a larger capacity aircraft for the flight to and from Bamako on Sunday, September 8.
We are also studying all possibilities to adapt our flight schedule to and from the destinations affected by this shutdown.

In addition, to encourage passengers to return, we have introduced special fares for customers with an Aigle Azur ticket whose Aigle Azur flight has been cancelled.
These rates are available in our branches and counters at airports, as well as in our call centres. They are not available for sale online on our website or any other sales site.

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/local/cc ... air-france

Does anyone know which aircraft will be sent there?

AsiaTravel

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:26 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Due to Aigle Azur shutdown operations, AF will increase seat capacity to Algiers (ALG) and Bamako (BKO) - Mali:

Saturday 7 September :

In addition, we have implemented a larger capacity aircraft for the flight to and from Bamako on Sunday, September 8.
We are also studying all possibilities to adapt our flight schedule to and from the destinations affected by this shutdown.

In addition, to encourage passengers to return, we have introduced special fares for customers with an Aigle Azur ticket whose Aigle Azur flight has been cancelled.
These rates are available in our branches and counters at airports, as well as in our call centres. They are not available for sale online on our website or any other sales site.

77W to Bamako instead of 789

dabc

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:26 am

eastafspot wrote:

Saturday 7 September :

AF ORY-ALG E190

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:57 pm

dabc wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

Saturday 7 September :

AF ORY-ALG E190

Thanks!

Looks like a good news for airlines in Algeria.
Will Air Algerie seize the opportunity to build an efficient hub up, incl. international destinations?
They could clearly challenge AT or TU on, at least the mainstream West African routes and grab a share on the busy (maybe not lucrative) route to Paris from DSS, ABJ, ACC or LOS.... someone recently published a very useful data fact about these countries air demand! :smile:

Blerg

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:41 am

What's the financial status of RAM, Air Algeria and Tunisair?

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:12 pm

Blerg wrote:
What's the financial status of RAM, Air Algeria and Tunisair?

A very intersting question Blerg! :indifferent:
I must admit the truth.

Do you speak/read French?
if yes, then read this...

https://newsaero.info/airlines/letat-la ... ?true=2194

If not:
The State to the rescue of Air Algeria, 3.8 billion dinars to be injected to clear its debts(( 28.7 millions d’euros)!. To be followed...

:arrow: Egypt to adopt an Open Skies Policy that will double number of operating airlines:

https://www.thecairoscene.me/Buzz/Egypt ... g-Airlines

Which airports will welcome most of the visitors?

:arrow: Africa and China to strengthen the links thanks to MS:

Egyptair makes Hangzhou its fourth destination in China.

https://newsaero.info/airlines/egyptair ... ?true=2184

How does it connect well at the end for MS?

:arrow: Weeks ago, TU was supposed to announce new seats as they will receive new aircraft - TS-IOR member might hold more info about that.

Hope the seat will help to avoid delays on all flights to N. Africa!
:spin:

peterinlisbon

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
There were articles in the press a few weeks ago, earlier in March, saying that Royal Air Maroc was going to cease flying to Beni Mellal, Guelmin and Zagora. Flights still seem to be on sale for autumn 2019 which is a bit puzzling.

Does anyone know what RAM really plan to do with these 3 airports ?

I once went to Guelmim and it's a small market town without anything much to see on the main road between Agadir and the Sahara. The airport was a military base and it has a nice little terminal, but it's not the kind of place that tourists are going to want to visit. In any case, Agadir airport is a few hours by car/bus north of there and the road is being improved. There might be some limited demand for domestic flights to Casablanca for the local people but most people will only fly if the price is low and I doubt they'd fill up a daily 737.

Beni Mellal is pretty close to Casablanca but it's a larger city that actually does have some interesting touristic sights to see - a castle on the hill, some beautiful gardens and some famous waterfalls nearby. However, it can be reached easily from Casablanca in a couple of hours and there is a big airport there. I think they might be better off with a direct bus connection to Casablanca airport, as that would connect Beni Mellal to lots of places around the country and abroad.

On the subject of Casablanca airport, if they would allow some CTM buses to stop there on the way between Casablanca and Marrakech (they pass it on the road anyway) that would make getting there much easier from Marrakech and other cities to the north and south. They could learn from places like Amsterdam, London and Frankfurt, that have train/bus stations at their airports so that you can avoid being forced to waste time and money on taxis into the city centre. I don't know why Casablanca airport doesn't have a bus station with buses to Marrakech, Agadir, Beni Mellal and Rabat at the very least because there is plenty of demand for that.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:21 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
There were articles in the press a few weeks ago, earlier in March, saying that Royal Air Maroc was going to cease flying to Beni Mellal, Guelmin and Zagora. Flights still seem to be on sale for autumn 2019 which is a bit puzzling.

I once went to Guelmim and it's a small market town without anything much to see on the main road between Agadir and the Sahara. The airport was a military base and it has a nice little terminal, but it's not the kind of place that tourists are going to want to visit. In any case, Agadir airport is a few hours by car/bus north of there and the road is being improved. There might be some limited demand for domestic flights to Casablanca for the local people but most people will only fly if the price is low and I doubt they'd fill up a daily 737.

Beni Mellal is pretty close to Casablanca but it's a larger city that actually does have some interesting touristic sights to see - a castle on the hill, some beautiful gardens and some famous waterfalls nearby. However, it can be reached easily from Casablanca in a couple of hours and there is a big airport there. I think they might be better off with a direct bus connection to Casablanca airport, as that would connect Beni Mellal to lots of places around the country and abroad.

On the subject of Casablanca airport, if they would allow some CTM buses to stop there on the way between Casablanca and Marrakech (they pass it on the road anyway) that would make getting there much easier from Marrakech and other cities to the north and south. They could learn from places like Amsterdam, London and Frankfurt, that have train/bus stations at their airports so that you can avoid being forced to waste time and money on taxis into the city centre. I don't know why Casablanca airport doesn't have a bus station with buses to Marrakech, Agadir, Beni Mellal and Rabat at the very least because there is plenty of demand for that.

According to you, RAM should be more eco friendly in the near future!
The idea is nice but how do you implement it, with the future flow of OneWorld travellers rushing to or stopping by in Morroco?

:arrow: Egypt to adopt an open skies policy that will double the number or airlines:
(Before or after the troubles?)

peterinlisbon

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 am

eastafspot wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

According to you, RAM should be more eco friendly in the near future!
The idea is nice but how do you implement it, with the future flow of OneWorld travellers rushing to or stopping by in Morroco?

:arrow: Egypt to adopt an open skies policy that will double the number or airlines:
(Before or after the troubles?)

It's not about being eco-friendly, it's about being practical. There is no sense in providing flights from small towns with extremely low demand when there is a much bigger airport just a couple of hours away.

RAM could provide feed from Rabat, Kenitra, Beni Mellal and Marrakech to Casablanca airport with a bus service. They could either do this themselves and that would allow them to sell tickets from these cities or they could just encourage a company such as CTM to stop at the airport on some of its existing services.

Particularly in the case of Marrakech, they are really missing out - Marrakech is just 2 hours away from Casablanca airport and it is Morocco's number 1 tourist destination. If they provided a shuttle bus to Marrakech train station, that would vastly increase the appeal of Casablanca airport and RAM to tourists visiting Morocco.

davidjohnson6

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:54 am

Marrakech airport was expanded significantly a few years ago and has flights from all over Europe. Very few people who are travelling to/from Marrakech would travel by land and use Casablanca airport - probably something just for a.netters...

Blerg

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:15 am

According to Wikipedia, Ryanair will be discontinuing its Budapest-Marrakesh flights from 04.11.2019.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:35 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:

It's not about being eco-friendly, it's about being practical. There is no sense in providing flights from small towns with extremely low demand when there is a much bigger airport just a couple of hours away.

RAM could provide feed from Rabat, Kenitra, Beni Mellal and Marrakech to Casablanca airport with a bus service. They could either do this themselves and that would allow them to sell tickets from these cities or they could just encourage a company such as CTM to stop at the airport on some of its existing services.

Particularly in the case of Marrakech, they are really missing out - Marrakech is just 2 hours away from Casablanca airport and it is Morocco's number 1 tourist destination. If they provided a shuttle bus to Marrakech train station, that would vastly increase the appeal of Casablanca airport and RAM to tourists visiting Morocco.

Interesting facts peterinlisbon as, KL does the same on the Ottawa-Montreal or Toronto route in Canada with a bus service connecting to the flight to AMS..
However, Canada not being Morocco, are you sure about the 2h drive? I mean, from town to town or from town to the airport (which I really doubt, considering how recklessly fellow North African citizens are driving and how long you can spend time arguing for a minor incident with officials... :roll: ). The roads are OK but what about - speaking in general - other general issues...?
Thus at least, this kind of service provides a seamless experience from start to finish. What about essential air parcel from these remote areas?

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Marrakech airport was expanded significantly a few years ago and has flights from all over Europe. Very few people who are travelling to/from Marrakech would travel by land and use Casablanca airport - probably something just for a.netters...

Correct!
Marrakech city and surroundings prove to be much more attractive for a large EU sun seekers/retired people (incl one of my early 40yo friend who invested initially €29K in a run down villa in the outskirts, 8 years ago) than Casablanca - It ain't going to change any time soon!
This good friend of mine with his family, living in between SXB and STR, prefer to frequently travel there back and forth using the cheapest airline available; and he is holding a valid point especially since he enjoy spending time for a wee renovation or upgrading week during kids holidays or during their frequent extended weekends! :lol:

Blerg wrote:
According to Wikipedia, Ryanair will be discontinuing its Budapest-Marrakesh flights from 04.11.2019.

That's a grim news!
Will CMN get another destination from FR to replace BUD or central Europe?

:arrow: Egyptair resumes its seasonal route between Cairo and Osaka in 77W.
From December 16th, 2019 to May 6th, 2020.

In French:
https://newsaero.info/airlines/egyptair ... ?true=2233

For fellow a.net member TS-IOR:

:arrow: Tunisair: traffic drop of 20.9% in August:
https://www.aero-news.org/2019/09/09/tu ... -estivale/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos