jbpdx
Topic Author

TSA screeners calling in sick

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Hundreds of TSA screeners, working without pay, calling out sick at major airports

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics ... index.html

Airontario

Re: TSA screeners calling in sick

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Can't blame them really. If I knew I wasn't going to get paid, I wouldn't be going to work.

FlyHPN

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41 pm

I’m surprised they’re not deemed essential.

910A

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Good for them, I wouldn't be thrilled to go to work every day knowing I won't be able to pay my bills..I would dispute where the article states it might make travel less secure, sounds like a union rep talking.

STLflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm

FlyHPN wrote:
I’m surprised they’re not deemed essential.

They are, but AFAIK, essential employees still don't get paid until the government reopens. They'll get paid for all this time worked, but that doesn't help with bills due now. Which is just unbelievable, if a private sector employer told hundreds of thousands of employees "We can't agree on a budget, you still need to work, but we don't know when we're going to pay you" the NLRB would be on their ass so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

I can't blame them one bit, I'd be doing the same. The TSA gets a ton of hate, most of it deserved, but at the end of the day, the people on the front lines are just regular folks like anyone else, trying to put a roof over their head and food on the table for their families.

LightningZ71

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:56 pm

Not only are they not currently getting paid for their services (though, will be made whole once there is a budget), they also can not secure new outside work during the furlough. Unless they have already processed the paperwork for secondary, outside employment, they are specifically barred from seeking other employment outside of their normal working hours.

Adding insult to injury, fed essential employees that are currently required to show up to work are also NOT allowed to collect unemployment compensation at the state level. Most states have ruled that, if you're showing up for work, and you are legally required to be made whole at the end of the shutdown, you are not technically unemployed, underemployed, or otherwise prevented from being employed. So, not even unemployment benefits available to help them make ends meet.

Granted, at this point, most federal employees haven't missed a paycheck yet. The next pay cycle starts next week, and that's when people will start to not see money in their bank accounts. THAT'S when you'll start hearing a lot more about this issue.

ER757

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Not exactly a great recruiting tool for getting new hires. "Come work for us, you may not get paid at times, but hey, we'll make up for it eventually."
I'd expect to see a lot more people "out sick" as this shutdown drags on. Not looking forward to my next airport visit, I have a feeling it will take a a loooong time to pass through the checkpoint.

DakotaFlyer

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Wonder how long before ATC's follow the same pattern? Once again, don't blame anyone for refusing to work while not getting paid. Depending on how long the shut down last, could get very interesting.

StTim

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Can't blame them. Will hopefully help put pressure on both sides to compromise.

To an outsider it does seem a crazy way to run public sector operations.

freakyrat

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Wonder how long before ATC's follow the same pattern? Once again, don't blame anyone for refusing to work while not getting paid. Depending on how long the shut down last, could get very interesting.

Unlike during the time of Reagan, If NATCA would walk out these political shenaigans between a President and Congress would end very quickly and the government would reopen.

vxg

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 pm

What about immigration and customs officers manning FIS facilities? Are they also not getting paid right now? The irony there would be that the disagreement that is currently blocking their pay is about Border Security. One party believes that the most efficient use of funds is in a physical barrier on the US-Mexico border. And the other believes that the funds can be spent more efficiently in other things - like hiring more officers so that FIS facilities can be better staffed, etc. And while this disagreement is causing an impasse, the very people who are protecting your international ports of entry today are not being paid!

usflyer msp

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 pm

The TSA and Coast Guard not getting paid is ridiculous IMHO. I would consider calling in sick if I were in their position as well. As long as the TSA is collecting the $5.60 each way passenger fee the screeners should be getting paid. Period.

I hope their union wins the lawsuit they filed, forcing people to work with no timetable of when or guarantee that they will be paid at all is a form of slavery.

If anyone other than the government were doing this the NLRB would be all over them.

Varsity1

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:40 pm

This would be a great opportunity to fire expensive workers at the federal level.

I really don't have much sympathy at all for people with /gov jobs.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

cledaybuck

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 am

Varsity1 wrote:
This would be a great opportunity to fire expensive workers at the federal level.

I know. People who work for the government must be total losers, right? I mean, if the head of the federal government is as dumb as he shows everday, everyone lower must be practically mentally retarded. Right?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

planecane

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 am

usflyer msp wrote:
The TSA and Coast Guard not getting paid is ridiculous IMHO. I would consider calling in sick if I were in their position as well. As long as the TSA is collecting the $5.60 each way passenger fee the screeners should be getting paid. Period.

I hope their union wins the lawsuit they filed, forcing people to work with no timetable of when or guarantee that they will be paid at all is a form of slavery.

If anyone other than the government were doing this the NLRB would be all over them.

Somehow, when the government "shuts down" they are still able to collect money just fine. Unfortunately, the government lives by a very different set of rules than private citizens.

This could be a long shutdown since there doesn't seem to be much room for compromise since the Democrat position is "no wall, period" and Trump is insisting on far less funding than it would take for the full wall.

If I had to guess, there will be some targeted spending bills to take care of issues like the TSA so both sides can still have the battle over the shutdown while paying essential employees.

itisi

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 am

Full support to them. Only a matter of time before more do this and force this stupid shutdown to end.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

DakotaFlyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 am

Varsity1 wrote:

Ya I love National Parks being trashed and why are we forced to not smoke on airplanes.

September11

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 am

I honestly do not know about this situation... Sticky situation.
Airliners.net of the Future

Newark727

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 am

The entire notion of a government shutdown is deeply stupid to begin with. It's basically never necessary to handle things this way, it's only when Congresspeople and other elected officials feel like picking a fight.

SRQLOT

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 am

It’s a very unfortunate situation and the political irony of it. Those that do show up for work are forced into doing overtime and not getting paid I would be furious! I would come in to work with the my hand out for hard cash for days work first, and then I would clock in lol.

AEROFAN

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 am

cledaybuck wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

I know. People who work for the government must be total losers, right? I mean, if the head of the federal government is as dumb as he shows everday, everyone lower must be practically mentally retarded. Right?

Preach! I was waiting for some idiot to make just such a remark. :D
I'm also looking forward to some airline employee blaming passengers for this as well.

usflyer msp

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 am

Additionally, this shutdown avctually creates a greater security crisis. Financially stressed TSA workers would be easier recruits for bad guys up to no good. It's amazing what some people will agree to when they are in dire need of the money.

Berevoff

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:00 am

Good. More of them should call in. Disrupt the airports. Other government employees should do the same. If the President and Congress want to shut down the government they're going to have to deal with the social unrest that results. Maybe we will all start demanding better from our elected leadership. This cute "shutdown" is dumb. Make it hurt.

MSPSXMFLIER

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:00 am

I side with the TSA workers and all other federal employees who are walking out of work because they aren't getting paid.

I have a family member that works for the federal government here in town and I get the news of his workplace situation during our phone chats two or three times a week. It's just incredible that this is still going on after 14 days. His government office building is a ghost town with maybe 1/4 of the normal staff. Some entire agencies are closed and others just have skeletal staff doing whatever is needed. Rumors are rampant about whether or not back pay will even be authorized and approved. Next Monday is a deadline for the next round of agencies to shutter and then another round on the 11th, should this drag on that far. He's covered as an essential employee, in the judicial area, only until January 11th.

A neighbor of mine works for US Fish & Wildlife and his last paid work day was New Year's Eve. The office didn't reopen on Wednesday of this week as operating funds ran out.

kalvado

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:03 am

Work in public sector has its advantages and disadvantages. Pension and other benefits, job security. There are also some downsides, like this situation.
Whenever I hear about such delays, I wonder if any TSA folks would trade their uniforms for employment at will positions.

On the other side of the spectrum are NET 90 payments by big private companies - including payments to small business. E.g. some Chicago-based plane maker is doing 90 days now..
You cannot have all the cakes and eat them too..

CarlosSi

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 am

Most are/will be Democrats, at least by 2020.

Good for them, unfortunately I feel like those are still lost hours when the paychecks do come in.

Seabear

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:22 am

When the payments stop flowing to the well-connected government contractors, the campaign cash will necessary stop flowing.

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Most are/will be Democrats, at least by 2020.

Good for them, unfortunately I feel like those are still lost hours when the paychecks do come in.

Lol you'd be hard pressed to find any TSA employee that was a republican.

gdg9

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:37 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

That is a statement bereft of any basis in fact. I know several, most of whom are hard core supporters of the current Administration. Unless you think out of 55,000 odd employees, all but a minor handful belong to one political party?

That's about the second or third asinine comment in this thread. Congrats.
@dfwtower

m007j

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:38 am

Varsity1 wrote:

I don't know how much you think we all make, but I can promise it's much lower than what you actually think.

Can I ask why you lack the sympathy? Personal experience? Belief in a smaller government?

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 am

gdg9 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

That is a statement bereft of any basis in fact. I know several, most of whom are hard core supporters of the current Administration. Unless you think out of 55,000 odd employees, all but a minor handful belong to one political party?

That's about the second or third asinine comment in this thread. Congrats.

I find that hard to believe. Most conservatives are openly critical of the TSA and their war on shampoo and toothpaste. Conservatives have also made documentaries that are highly critical of the TSA. So yes, I do believe conservative leaning TSA employees are very much the minority.

My junior year of college a fellow classmates was rejected for a position as a screener because they said he was overqualified. TSA is made up of the rejects of society.

blockski

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 am

Can’t blame anyone for not showing up for their job when the checks aren’t clearing.

Midwestindy

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:58 am

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/loc ... t-shutdown

"We are working 6 days a week. Some are working 10 hours a day, that's across the country," said Marc Schneider, National Air Traffic Controllers Association President. "We are at a 30 year low in staffing for air traffic controllers nationwide. The school in Oklahoma is shutdown."

"According to Schneider, controllers were recently trained on new technology: to text message pilots in the cockpit. Which was supposed to roll out today, and is now not happening because of the shutdown.

If it is not implemented by January 15, all the controllers will have to be retrained — at a high cost."

It could get ugly if this goes on for another month or even longer.....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

joeblow10

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 am

Ignoring the inevitable politics of this... and back to what someone said earlier:

Isn't the $5.60 fee we pay literally for the TSA and passenger screening? I'm sure there's some reason here, but it makes me scratch my head why these folks aren't getting paid when the security fees still are.

Italianflyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:42 am

My family member who is an ATC; they are on notice at their tower that ALL absences will be treated with the utmost suspicion (like calling in on Christmas, Tgiving, Memorial Day, etc). My state is also in the middle of a flu epidemic....with private and public entities suffering from a spike in absences. Two counties in my state called off school next week.

Perfect storm coming together folks.

PanzerPowner

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:56 am

Separate of this "beautiful" discussion are there any federal run airports out there, and would they be affected?
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

blockski

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:12 am

PanzerPowner wrote:
Separate of this "beautiful" discussion are there any federal run airports out there, and would they be affected?

Not federal-run, no. The federal government owns both DCA and IAD, but they are run by the locl government entity MWAA, and thus not subject to appropriations. They’re no more affected than any other airport dealing with TSA and ATC concerns.

The airlines serving DCA and IAD might be a bit more worried about travel demand, however. Depending how long this lasts.

cpd

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:20 am

I’m with them. No pay, no work.

A simple administrative error or outage for a few days, fine. But this is ridiculous.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 am

What is going to happen if the lines for TSA at major airports grow to 1, 2 or more hours at peak times ? What if an overtired and unpaid TSA agent misses a bomb or a weapon in a carry-on ? At what point will the big airline CEO's tell the President or their favorite Senators or Congreemembers to end this shutdown as to TSA before they lose revenues and profits ? I am afraid that something really bad is going to happen before this stalemate shutdown ends. I just hope no one gets injured or murdered.

cfichad

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:30 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:

I flew all week and I can tell you first hand, they are now going by the book and slowly moving. I can understand why ATC is not happy. I was on IFR Flight Plans all week so we were watched but I feel for anyone who was requesting VFR Flight Following. I heard ATC turn down someone saying they were too busy.

I heard Trump say this can go on for years, I don't know how these Federal Employees can last that long.
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

TheKennady2

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:50 am

TSA is a stupid concept anyhow, they should be abolished and allow airports to hire private companies to do security at the Nations airports. TSA is more intrusive thaen they are protective of the flying public, most have stinking attitudes, authoritative personas and i avoid them by flying at little as possible in the states. The Pre-check nonsense its a absolute scam, Gov loves to monopolise things and then sell you your rights and security back to you. The less TSA clowns the better.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:59 am

I'm okay with this action by TSA. Eventually, it will come to a head with Trump's seeking to punish for a job action clashing head on with the 13th Amendment.

adambrau

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 am

Almost 14 days now. This 'partial' government shutdown of 800,000 people, plus their families, plus contractors and other vendors, will add up to a few million people being affected. And with some of those people being TSA employees calling out sick, or possibly working to rule, or becoming over strained - their ability to keep potential weapons off aircraft will diminish. Whether you love them or hate them, can't we agree that they make aviation safer than if they were not there at all? The President, our Congressional Representatives and Senators (whatever party) have all failed the traveling public, the workers not getting paid, and everyone else already/soon-to-be affected. I can't say I blame people for not turning up to work if they are not going to receive a reliable paycheck, but equally this standoff, supposedly a standoff in the name of the security of the United States, is ironically making us all less safe while we wait for one side to blink. And of course, every side will claim victory whenever the next band-aid agreement to fund the government is reached. If we, Americans, were able to contribute 1/10th to positive policy initiatives and opening our minds to simply listening to others as we are to fighting each other - just imagine what we could achieve. We can't keep doing this dog and pony show forever. Or there won't be any point in securing the border, because no one will want to come here!!! Or maybe that is the plan?!
Let's keep the skies friendly.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:07 am

Varsity1 wrote:

I'm a government employee, albeit not in the USA, and while there are definitely times when I shake my head at chronic inefficiency that you would never see in the private sector, the reality is that the overwhelming majority of my colleagues are hardworking individuals, who genuinely want to make the country a better, safer place. Moreover they are just doing a job to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. If you disagree with the 'size' of government or the inefficiency then take that up with your politicians, that comes from the top. The every day men and women who are trying to look after themselves and their families deserve to be paid for their work.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

kalvado

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:12 am

usflyer msp wrote:

cpd wrote:
I’m with them. No pay, no work.

A simple administrative error or outage for a few days, fine. But this is ridiculous.

I am pretty sure anyone can resign even during shutdown.
Comparing this situation to slavery delivers the opposite message.

TTailedTiger

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:28 am

ltbewr wrote:
What is going to happen if the lines for TSA at major airports grow to 1, 2 or more hours at peak times ? What if an overtired and unpaid TSA agent misses a bomb or a weapon in a carry-on ? At what point will the big airline CEO's tell the President or their favorite Senators or Congreemembers to end this shutdown as to TSA before they lose revenues and profits ? I am afraid that something really bad is going to happen before this stalemate shutdown ends. I just hope no one gets injured or murdered.

No, they should tell them to abolish TSA and let them being back private screening. We will never have this problem again.

STLflyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:45 am

joeblow10 wrote:
Ignoring the inevitable politics of this... and back to what someone said earlier:

Isn't the $5.60 fee we pay literally for the TSA and passenger screening? I'm sure there's some reason here, but it makes me scratch my head why these folks aren't getting paid when the security fees still are.

I don't get it either. I don't understand why none of the essential employees, TSA or otherwise, can't be paid. They're going to get paid eventually, what difference does it make to the federal government if they're paid as scheduled or get a lump sum in 2 months for hours worked?

I really hope eventually we can pass a law where employees still get paid during shutdowns. No need for these folks to be impacted by a president's temper tantrum.

Tack

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 am

adambrau wrote:
Almost 14 days now. This 'partial' government shutdown of 800,000 people, plus their families, plus contractors and other vendors, will add up to a few million people being affected. And with some of those people being TSA employees calling out sick, or possibly working to rule, or becoming over strained - their ability to keep potential weapons off aircraft will diminish. Whether you love them or hate them, can't we agree that they make aviation safer than if they were not there at all? The President, our Congressional Representatives and Senators (whatever party) have all failed the traveling public, the workers not getting paid, and everyone else already/soon-to-be affected. I can't say I blame people for not turning up to work if they are not going to receive a reliable paycheck, but equally this standoff, supposedly a standoff in the name of the security of the United States, is ironically making us all less safe while we wait for one side to blink. And of course, every side will claim victory whenever the next band-aid agreement to fund the government is reached. If we, Americans, were able to contribute 1/10th to positive policy initiatives and opening our minds to simply listening to others as we are to fighting each other - just imagine what we could achieve. We can't keep doing this dog and pony show forever. Or there won't be any point in securing the border, because no one will want to come here!!! Or maybe that is the plan?!

Hey Mods! get control of this thread. It’s supposed to be aviation related. I’m sick of reading everyone’s political opinion.
It’s one thing to read a bunch of back seat flyers thoughts on aviation. It’s another to have to suffer through stupid political opinions.

STLflyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 am

The people who lost their jobs as a result of liquidations, bankruptcies, etc. at least were able to collect unemployment to help with the bills. TSA employees can't even do that, because they're not considered unemployed. They'll eventually get paid. But they can't call up their landlord, utilities and creditors and tell them they'll eventually get paid. A paycheck in a month doesn't pay bills due today.

Tack

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:18 am

STLflyer wrote:
The people who lost their jobs as a result of liquidations, bankruptcies, etc. at least were able to collect unemployment to help with the bills. TSA employees can't even do that, because they're not considered unemployed. They'll eventually get paid. But they can't call up their landlord, utilities and creditors and tell them they'll eventually get paid. A paycheck in a month doesn't pay bills due today.

TSA can certainly draw unemployment. As many of you back seat flyers like to tell us airline folks. Ya don’t like how the job works, quit and go elsewhere. Or is that advice only for union airline employees?
The TSA will get paid. They’re stuck in the middle no doubt. But no different then almost all other employees in the private sector.
Last edited by Tack on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos