ADB1
Topic Author

LHR early arrivals

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was watching my niece's flight come into LHR just before 6.00 this morning. It joined quite a number of arrivals in one of the stacks. Arrivals started to leave the stacks at 6.00 and used both the 27'S to land.
Why did QF9 come straight in at around 5.50? Is it to do with fuel?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

ADB1

fcogafa

Re: LHR early arrivals

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Around 15 flights have slots to land before 0601 utc, the Qantas is probably one of them. Otherwise they have to hold until after 0600, however early they are. Then for an hour landings are permitted on both runways to clear the stacks, possible as departures are less in the first hour. Then they revert to one runway for landing, the other for departure

ADB1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply.

ADB1

Tristarsteve

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Any aircraft can land before 0600, there is no ban at LHR, but the arrival is taken from the airlines stock of night movements., All airlines have a stock of night movements that they can use when they please. Most of these are saved for use when needed, like when a plane is running late at night, or early in the morning, the airline can decide to use one of its movements in the NJB. All arrivals and departures are calculated against a noise index so an A320 arrival is half a point, and an B744 departure is 4 points. Some airlines choose to use these movements every night.
I worked for BA, and BA scheduled about 5 arrivals before 0600 and used their points. One part of Ops Control kept track of the points to ensure there were enough to last the season. I was at an outstation, and when we had a late departing aircraft in the evening, we had to call Ops control for permission to use an arrival slot in the NJB. A full B767 always got one, but a half full A319 might be refused.
Occasionally aircraft are told to delay their arrival until after 0600 to save points, and flights that are scheduled to arrive after 0600 are strictly forbidden from landing before 0600. A good jetstream will see them holding on the ground before departure.
In very bad weather, LHR will suspend the system to allow aircraft to land late at night point free.

SQ317

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:01 pm

As it happens, under the third runway plans there will be an absolute flight ban between I believe 2330 and 0600 so those early arrivals will need rescheduling; early morning arrival slots may continue to be expensive commodities from the moment the new runway opens

qf789

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:44 pm

ADB1 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was watching my niece's flight come into LHR just before 6.00 this morning. It joined quite a number of arrivals in one of the stacks. Arrivals started to leave the stacks at 6.00 and used both the 27'S to land.
Why did QF9 come straight in at around 5.50? Is it to do with fuel?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

ADB1

QF9 normally comes in earlier than that, it is scheduled for a 505am arrival, it arrived later that day due to stronger than usual headwinds

Qantas went with the early arrival time to minimize hold times, from what is known now the flight when approaching LHR typically has an hour of cruise of fuel left plus minimums, the flight typically takes on around 98 tonnes of fuel in PER. The flight that arrived at 550 did have some seats blocked (which QF stated at launch that there may be some seats blocked on some days when winds are at their strongest) for extra fuel to accommodate the strong head winds
Forum Moderator

asuflyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 pm

At UA, UA 110 from EWR has STA 06:20, and often is held at the gate or has to sit in the penalty box, if there are strong tailwinds, and no ground/wx delays at EWR. Pilots are given a wheels up time as it otherwise will arrive before 6:00am. At UA the only morning arrival before 6:00am, is UA 958 from ORD.

readytotaxi

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:39 pm

This morning 10 BA flights landed before 0600, the Cape Town jumbo woke me :cloudnine:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 pm

Earliest scheduled arrival is 0440 Summer time season from Boston and 0445 From Hong Kong in winter.

There are actually 18 slots available through the night traditional for cargo operations in the main.

Heathrow is not closed persay just heavily slot restricted and single runway operation.

Use of these slots in largely grand farthered for 16 landing slots per night with the remaining used/held back as operationally required.

Airlines can seek approvals for late departures using the remaining two if they have any residual holding themselves.

Emirates and Qantas seem to be the most frequent carriers to request this, and both actively bank some of their slot awards for just such occasions.
QF09 is book-planned to arrive later than usual a few times in each season I understand just so QF01 has an opportunity to depart after 11pm on occasion if technical issues arise.
There are procedures to go through to gain these late departures on noise abatement grounds rather than straight curfew restrictions.

hz747300

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 pm

I’ll be landing on a scheduled 5am arrival next week, CX251 from Honkers. I hope this never changes. I love the ride into town watching the city wake up.
Keep on truckin'...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos