Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Delta777Jet

Re: Ryanair "threatens" with the closure of bases in the Canaries

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Ryanair is lowest cost leader since they have the cash to hedge a large portion of fuel for a year in advance and they are good to find lowest points in market, plus their ability to offer contracts to crew where the tax man get less and the employee more on hand while Ryanair is saving big times. And of course to have good contracts at airports and at some even own handling. In my opinion they could turn their new Ryanair Rooms into a major booking.com competitor and we all know how much value that company has. They have this massive customer base and most need a hotel during trips. Unfortunately the technical realisation is crappy , but if they get that sorted it will be massive and they really become the Amazon of travelling. They are now at a turning point, if they play too hard they risk losing all but also if they agree on everything , they risking their business model.
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

L410Turbolet

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:20 am

Delta777Jet wrote:
In my opinion they could turn their new Ryanair Rooms into a major booking.com competitor and we all know how much value that company has. They have this massive customer base and most need a hotel during trips. Unfortunately the technical realisation is crappy ,

They can't get sorted their own website since the last redesign. Sure, Booking.com definitely needs a strong competitor (btw, have you seen their unbelievable mishandling of credit card details?) , not sure it must come from Ryanair though.
The last thing European travel market needs is everything short haul to be Ryanair, all bus travel Flixbus and everything longhaul EK or ME3 (which doesn't seem likely anymore)

Delta777Jet wrote:
If it all goes right, people can actually be pretty satisfied about Ryanair.

Perhaps, but you have to learn how to jump through their endless hoops, confusing baggage policy that changes every 3 months (ditto W6) and when things don't go as planned, the airline is a plain disaster (remember last year this time around?).
I find easyjet and even wizz much more civilized.

Waterbomber

Re: Ryanair "threatens" with the closure of bases in the Canariesil

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 am

leghorn wrote:
rutankrd wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

Not disputed I personally don’t much like the flexible fares models myself and certainly think debundling has gone way too far !

Equally I don’t like the legacy business fares and bribery model at x2 and upto x5 basis point fares either .

Both equally rip off the consumer through one does a good job in convincing joe public of value for money with those little extras and a potential of a future bung !

I dispute it because it is simply not true. I was able to get a Ryanair flight at 4 hours notice for considerably less than Aer Lingus over Christmas with the same carry-on baggage allowance as the "Legacy Carrier" leaving and arriving at the same airport at the same time(minutes apart).
As for booking well in advance Ryanair are de facto the best bar none with regard to low prices. If you have a wheelie case then just add €6 to the price. For weekend trips I don't need a wheelie case.

Nobody can come within an asses roar of their cost base, not Wizz, not Easyjet, not Wow, not anyone.
Ryanair were, are and will continue to be the least expensive way of flying from point A to point B in Europe and the traveling public have much to be thankful for.

I will continue to check the offerings of competitor airlines and where it makes sense for me to pay a premium for a competitors product I will but as my objective is to get from A to B and not to have my ego massaged I know I will continue to predominantly do business with Ryanair. Those with narcissistic personality disorders can fly with other carriers who would have you believe they "really care" about you rather than their bottom line.
It was with pleasure that I read that Ryanair surpassed Lufthansa as having carried the most passengers this year. Down with the price-gougers.
I'm heading out now. Don't know when I'll be back.

For 2019 I'm already booked on 13 Ryanair flights.
So one could say that I'm a frequent flyer of theirs although it's unlikely that they make any money off me.
However, in contrast with previous years where I was almost exclusive with FR now I'm also booked on 5 legacy carrier flights. They were up to 50% cheaper through promo's or slightly higher priced but came with better schedules, closer airport that allowed to make up the fare difference by saving on bus fees, etc...

When the AGB program started, they stopped the loud announcements and started taking carry ons for free at the check-in counter. You could check in online 7 days before. This was a marked improvement and I started buying into their BOB.
But then they reversed everything and actually now you can't check in online until 48 hours before the flight and can't take any trolleys aboard without paying.
Always Getting Better has transformed into Always Making It Worse.

If you look at their network, they are now congregating their capacity at their major bases and developping at primary airports while closing smaller bases at secundary airports and operating them from primary bases.

Essentially their are becoming a pan-European legacy airline with major bases at secundary airports and smaller bases at primary airports.

While some may applaud this evolution, I would like to stick with the old saying: if it works, don't fix it.

upperdeckfan

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 am

I have heard many "non aviation geeks" complaining because the additonal cost they incur beyond the FR air fare (carry-on/checked luggage, seat selection, bus transfers, etc).

We here forget that most of the population are not even frequent travellers nonetheless av geeks, specially leisure travellers which are FR customer base.

If I get a fare on a legacy within 50 EUR of FR's I always take the legacy one but not everybody is able to assess that.

Back to topic, I don't think FR will close the bases in TFS and LPA. As said, it would mean only serving TFS/LPA from their mainland Europe bases. Canary islands are too big of a market for any leisure oriented carrier to be dismissed that way
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

beerockxs

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:12 pm

[email protected] wrote:

You are comparing the entire Lufthansa Group - and all its airlines - to one single airline.

The RyanAir numbers include LaudaMotion and RyanAir Sun, so comparing with Lufthansa Group is valid.

[email protected]

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm

beerockxs wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

You are comparing the entire Lufthansa Group - and all its airlines - to one single airline.

The RyanAir numbers include LaudaMotion and RyanAir Sun, so comparing with Lufthansa Group is valid.

Laudamotion and Ryanair Sun are exceptionally smaller than Ryanair itself, so it is virtually a single airline v. a big airline group comparison.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

digitalcloud

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
They also threatened to ‘pivot away’ from the UK in the event of a brexit vote. They’ve done nothing but expand and open new bases. The GLA ‘closure’ was merely moving an aircraft to EDI. SEN is a new base and other UK bases have expanded. Ryanair threaten hard when things don’t go their way but don’t always carry out the threats when things don’t go their way.

Huh? The GLA base closed.

FlapsOne

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:42 am

digitalcloud wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:
They also threatened to ‘pivot away’ from the UK in the event of a brexit vote. They’ve done nothing but expand and open new bases. The GLA ‘closure’ was merely moving an aircraft to EDI. SEN is a new base and other UK bases have expanded. Ryanair threaten hard when things don’t go their way but don’t always carry out the threats when things don’t go their way.

Wah? The plane moved to Edinburgh. Moving a plane an hour east is not 'pivoting away' from the UK. Glasgow is still served. Ryanair will start a new base in SEN soon and have added numerous aircraft to the UK #despitebrexit

LuxuryTravelled

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 am

Given Norwegian are closing their bases in Tenerife and Gran Canaria - I wonder where that leaves FR?

digitalcloud

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:27 am

FlapsOne wrote:
digitalcloud wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

Wah? The plane moved to Edinburgh. Moving a plane an hour east is not 'pivoting away' from the UK. Glasgow is still served. Ryanair will start a new base in SEN soon and have added numerous aircraft to the UK #despitebrexit
You said that the first time.

Just because it is served doesn't mean it is no longer a base. There are no crew there anymore and all routes are operated by aircraft from other bases. It just so happened that some routes were moved to EDI along with one of the aircraft.

FlapsOne

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am

So there’s no pivoting away. I’m glad we can agree that Ryanair are expanding and not pivoting away.

a350lover
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:57 am

Ryanair is building up some awareness among its employees regarding the viability of some routes of its network and the performance of its bases.

Yesterday a letter was sent to the employees and main topic of it was about the circumstances of the current EU ULCC market. They even mention the 7% decrease on wages Norwegian seems to be exploring for reductions for its crews. Ryanair seems to be threatening that they, as the player with lowest costs need to remain like that in order to be able to remain the leaders.

I post the letter, mods, in case this has been posted already, please delete.

[photoid]Image[/photoid]

Thibault973

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 am

a350lover wrote:
Ryanair is building up some awareness among its employees regarding the viability of some routes of its network and the performance of its bases.

Yesterday a letter was sent to the employees and main topic of it was about the circumstances of the current EU ULCC market. They even mention the 7% decrease on wages Norwegian seems to be exploring for reductions for its crews. Ryanair seems to be threatening that they, as the player with lowest costs need to remain like that in order to be able to remain the leaders.

I post the letter, mods, in case this has been posted already, please delete.

[photoid]Image[/photoid]

I find the sentence "bad news for our profit and our shareholders" quiet disturbing.

What about "for our bottom level wages employees" ?

tommy1808

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:09 pm

mchei wrote:
The airport made many concessions and a terminal was built for Ryanair. Not a very nice one, though, but it did the job. Ryanair knew that they could easily put pressure on the airport and it seems they had made use of this during the past years.

Ryanair actually owns that terminal.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

peterinlisbon

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Instead of doing it base by base, Ryanair should just threaten to close the whole airline down if their cabin crew don't agree to work more hours for less money and to spend their layovers cleaning the aircraft toilets.

leghorn

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:57 pm

A low cost carrier keeping input costs low; Seems correct and unremarkable to me.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:59 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Instead of doing it base by base, Ryanair should just threaten to close the whole airline down if their cabin crew don't agree to work more hours for less money and to spend their layovers cleaning the aircraft toilets.

They'd better be careful what they wish for, that might actually what they might end up with. Shutting the airline down means no income for Ryanair, a situation that cannot continue for too long. Ryanair needs it's employees, without employees they're nothing.

mchei

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:49 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Ryanair actually owns that terminal.

Best regards
Thomas

Danke! I was unaware of that.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos