rainaviation
Topic Author

Sun Country adds BOS-LAS, JFK-LAS, LAX-LAS, SFO-LAS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:19 am

According to their interactive route map and a comfirmed booking (I did a mock-booking), Sun Country has added 4 new nonstop destinations out of LAS. Not all flights have been loaded into their booking system however. Anyone have any more information on this?

BOS-LAS, JFK-LAS, LAX-LAS, and SFO-LAS.

http://sy.fltmaps.com/en

These pairings make a lot of sense to me. I am glad to see them expanding in the Northeast.

Also wonder when they will officially announce these routes.

WN732

Re: Sun Country adds BOS-LAS, JFK-LAS, LAX-LAS, SFO-LAS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 am

Queue the WN $39 fares at LAX and SFO

enilria

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 am

The head of Network Planning at SY as of earlier this year came from AS and the parade of former AS/VX routes continues. 3 of the 4 are current or former AS/VX routes.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 am

BOS-LAS and JFK-LAS are long routes with a vast number of connecting opportunities over other carriers. They can sell marginal capacity and drive SY off these routes. Consumers should enjoy the bargains while they can.

DeltaPrince

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:43 am

Even after over 30 years of operations in various iterations, Sun Country’s public recognition footprint is just not big enough, IMHO, to pull off a sudden large expansion. They are no Southwest.

MSPNWA

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:47 am

Surprised at how low BOS-LAS capacity is. JFK-LAS is similarly low. Logical adds for SY. The demand is certainly there.

SFO/LAX-LAS are bloodbaths, but one angle that may work is that SFO-LAS does not have a ULCC, and LAX-LAS is meagerly flown by NK.

jetblueguy22

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
BOS-LAS and JFK-LAS are long routes with a vast number of connecting opportunities over other carriers. They can sell marginal capacity and drive SY off these routes. Consumers should enjoy the bargains while they can.

They don’t need to chase connections, those will be strong O&D routes
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

stlgph

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 am

DeltaPrince wrote:
Even after over 30 years of operations in various iterations, Sun Country’s public recognition footprint is just not big enough, IMHO, to pull off a sudden large expansion. They are no Southwest.

I remember the time a little airline with no public relations or allegiance tried flying back and forth from the middle of nowhere to Las Vegas.

Shame it didn't work out for them.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

flyguy89

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:53 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Surprised at how low BOS-LAS capacity is. JFK-LAS is similarly low. Logical adds for SY. The demand is certainly there.

SFO/LAX-LAS are bloodbaths, but one angle that may work is that SFO-LAS does not have a ULCC, and LAX-LAS is meagerly flown by NK.

It's always surprised me as well, only 5x daily for such a large market. I'll call that a solid add for SY. TBD on SFO and LAX though.

KLMatSJC

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:00 am

MSPNWA wrote:
SFO-LAS does not have a ULCC

Actually, Frontier flies SFO-LAS. That's in addition to Spirit and Allegiant flying OAK-LAS, Frontier's SJC, Allegiant's MRY-LAS, and Sun Country's STS-LAS.

Add on the flights on DL from SJC, UA from SFO, AS from SFO, XE from OAK and CCR, and Southwest from SFO, SJC, and OAK, and you get a ton of capacity on the route.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

MSPNWA

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:06 am

KLMatSJC wrote:

Actually, Frontier flies SFO-LAS. That's in addition to Spirit and Allegiant flying OAK-LAS, Frontier's SJC, Allegiant's MRY-LAS, and Sun Country's STS-LAS.

Add on the flights on DL from SJC, UA from SFO, AS from SFO, XE from OAK and CCR, and Southwest from SFO, SJC, and OAK, and you get a ton of capacity on the route.

Ah, I didn't notice F9 because I see it's not daily. So, sort-of ULCC service I guess.

I don't consider XXX-LAS the same thing. When you have ULCC service in both airports, it eliminates the draw to other airports for SFO demand. SY will have the inside track. SFO-LAS doesn't have daily ULCC service. That's SY's opportunity.

DeltaPrince

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:17 am

stlgph wrote:
DeltaPrince wrote:

I remember the time a little airline with no public relations or allegiance tried flying back and forth from the middle of nowhere to Las Vegas.

Allegiant is an outlier.

stlgph

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:22 am

DeltaPrince wrote:
stlgph wrote:
DeltaPrince wrote:

Allegiant is an outlier.

Uh sweetie, meet Sun Country Airlines.

MSPNWA

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:22 am

DeltaPrince wrote:
Allegiant is an outlier.

I also miss those yellow bananas in the sky. That little-known airline didn't have a chance when it moved to an ULCC model.

rainaviation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 am

WN732 wrote:
Queue the WN $39 fares at LAX and SFO

SY flights from LAX begin at $34 one way. I wonder if WN will stoop that low...

sunking737

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:35 am

Remember SY had a hub in LAS for their charters before 9/11. They had a commissary there too. You don't have catering if you don't have a lot of service.
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

spinkid

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 am

Great News! Alaska has gone to less than daily on that route it seems. Virgin flew it daily.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:31 am

spinkid wrote:
Great News! Alaska has gone to less than daily on that route it seems. Virgin flew it daily.

Which route?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 am

SY will get eaten alive on these low fare leisure routes. hopefully they cut the routes before it significantly affects their tricky bottom line.

EDIT: also, where did this JFK slot come from?

DeltaPrince

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:13 am

stlgph wrote:
DeltaPrince wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Allegiant is an outlier.

OK...so Sun Country fangirl, stlpgh, thinks that Sun Country will carve its niche on these routes? Anybody agree with her, because history would suggest otherwise.

stlgph

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:17 am

rnav2dlrey wrote:
SY will get eaten alive on these low fare leisure routes. hopefully they cut the routes before it significantly affects their tricky bottom line.

Looks like you missed the memo.

stlgph

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:24 am

DeltaPrince wrote:
stlgph wrote:
DeltaPrince wrote:

Allegiant is an outlier.

OK...so Sun Country fangirl, stlpgh, thinks that Sun Country will carve its niche on these routes? Anybody agree with her, because history would suggest otherwise.

Hey girl, hey

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jude-bricker-364186/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-e-davis/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessicaewheeler/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cmsnow/

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s-sun.html

Veigar

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:26 am

Hopefully with this their new livery comes soon as well. Guh.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:31 am

stlgph wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:

Looks like you missed the memo.

i did. care to elaborate?

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:17 am

Wonder if they'll have some good intro deals! Nice to have someone else on BOS-LAS.
@DadCelo

Dieuwer

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Already forgotten?

HUNDREDS STRANDED IN MEXICO AFTER AIRLINE CANCELS FLIGHTS: 'WE DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER FLIGHT TO RE-ACCOMMODATE PASSENGERS'

https://www.newsweek.com/sun-country-ai ... ico-892135

tphuang

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm

BOS-LAS is not under served. NK is averaging $105 on non-stop fares here and it's not a new route for them. ULCC would do a whole lot better than that on a 2381 mile route on an under served route.

JFK-LAS is not under served either. Both B6 snd DL got higher yield on JFK-SAN/SEA in Q2.

DL747400

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:14 pm

This expansion by SY looks to be nothing more than the actions of a desperate company struggling to survive.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

cledaybuck

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

WN is not exactly expensive on these routes. I see plenty of $45 fares LAX and $49 fares SFO which obviously include checked and carry on baggage.

heretothere

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Guys, they only added these routes for CES in early January. Time to calm down

jetwet1

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Folks, I told you all this was going to happen months ago, you are all missing the big reason for the surge in LAS routes by SY.

The simple fact is, SY is owned by Apollo management, who also happen to own Caesars Entertainment...It's not hard to see the synergy.

EA CO AS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:27 pm

enilria wrote:
The head of Network Planning at SY as of earlier this year came from AS and the parade of former AS/VX routes continues. 3 of the 4 are current or former AS/VX routes.

Ben has lost his mind.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cledaybuck

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:42 pm

heretothere wrote:
That makes a lot more sense.

Chasensfo

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:49 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
SFO-LAS does not have a ULCC

But the majority of those flights aren't daily, and most travelers to LAS leave from SFO. I don't think the vast majority of SFO-LAS pax that would fly Sun Country would be booking the majority of those other routes. Hopefully they do well, Frontier suspends service every so often. I once got a $19 ticket on SFO-LAS after tax on Frontier, plane was barely 60% full! Having a more reliable airline(for all the recent media blunders, SY is rarely super late or cancelled) with ultra low fares may help.

rainaviation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:16 pm

heretothere wrote:

I asked and I was told they are aircraft reposting... Still wonder if they will he added in the future because they make sense as additions for SY.

lavalampluva

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Good luck to them. LAS is a market filled with ULCCs.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:48 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I'm arguing that other carriers will offer rick-bottom pricing on connections to drive SY off those routes. Carriers with name recognition at BOS and JFK, and frequency.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I'm arguing that other carriers will offer rick-bottom pricing on connections to drive SY off those routes. Carriers with name recognition at BOS and JFK, and frequency.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:03 pm

I think sun country is smart to do a less than daily operation out of LAS. It's a market that works with their new model. They will be able to both stimulate some demand and steal from legacies. It's sun country they won't give it long, if it isn't a hit they will pull out fast. No real reason not to try it.

MSPNWA

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Well, much to do about nothing. Surprised they added these routes to their route map when they're only for one flight or a few.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:05 pm

heretothere wrote:

Me thinks this has fallen on deaf ears.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

enilria

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:02 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
enilria wrote:

Ben has lost his mind.

I think he's becoming a one trick pony. He seems a little too fixated on a past job. I've seen that lead to bad decisions with other execs because one carrier doing well in a market does not immediately follow that another will. Each carrier has its own strengths and weaknesses. I will be watching to see if the next person off the AS ship adopts the exact same strategy.

sunking737

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:08 pm

SY wants to add several "mini" hubs or focus cities. Less then daily is better to control costs the daily with empty seats
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

jfklganyc

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:28 pm

VX flew JFK LAS and recently cut it.

SY must figure they can fill in.

And to vegas...why not? It cant be flown out of LGA...so they can fit in along AA DL and B6 at JFK.

Jshank83

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:18 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Well, much to do about nothing. Surprised they added these routes to their route map when they're only for one flight or a few.

It is probably like WN. If there is a flight in the schedule it shows up on the route map automatically. Even if it is just one.

EA CO AS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

enilria wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Ben has lost his mind.

I think he's becoming a one trick pony. He seems a little too fixated on a past job. I've seen that lead to bad decisions with other execs because one carrier doing well in a market does not immediately follow that another will. Each carrier has its own strengths and weaknesses.

It's interesting to see how he appears to be applying simplistic approaches to these markets; "There's X number of PDEW to be served, SY's CASM is Y, and because it's lower than the CASM of the other carriers, it's likely to be a winner..." without considering other important factors that could doom a new entrant to the market.

Having said that, he turned a director job at one company into a VP job at another, so he evidently did enough of a salesmanship job on the execs at SY to win their trust. We'll see how it pans out for him.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

F9Animal

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Remember SY had a hub in LAS for their charters before 9/11. They had a commissary there too. You don't have catering if you don't have a lot of service.

Yes they did, and it was a good sized operation. Sun Country filled a majority of the original A Gates, and the activity was pretty crazy. Tons of 727 and DC-10's galore.
I Am A Different Animal!!

717atOGG

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:39 pm

heretothere wrote:

Agreed...IMO this is a total non-event, and they're just shooting fish in a barrel for CES. They're literally only operating 3 RTs on LAX-LAS, for example.

That being said, I could see these routes (especially JFK and BOS where yields aren't complete trash) being operated on a larger basis in the future, as they're perfect SY routes and it isn't hard to fill a plane going to Vegas, like G4 has proven. And for those who say that SY doesn't have enough brand recognition, in the era of Google Flights and shopping by price, I don't think that matters to anyone. Just my :twocents: though.
Long live the Boeing 757!

rainaviation
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 am

717atOGG wrote:
heretothere wrote:

Agreed...IMO this is a total non-event, and they're just shooting fish in a barrel for CES. They're literally only operating 3 RTs on LAX-LAS, for example.

That being said, I could see these routes (especially JFK and BOS where yields aren't complete trash) being operated on a larger basis in the future, as they're perfect SY routes and it isn't hard to fill a plane going to Vegas, like G4 has proven. And for those who say that SY doesn't have enough brand recognition, in the era of Google Flights and shopping by price, I don't think that matters to anyone. Just my :twocents: though.

Possibly yes but I cannot remember the last time that SY decided to operate flights for such a reason. They obviously have an extra aircraft or two which surprises me because usually in the winter season SY doesn't have enough planes!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos