UPlog
Topic Author

5+ Hour delays into SFO

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:12 pm

This is the reason I hate to operate trips into SFO.

Another day of crazy delays as the airport reports light rain

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwPviypU0AAcbfA.jpg:large

Per FAA advisory, the airports hourly handling rate is down to mere 28 flights!

nine4nine

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Just like the drivers here in California. A few light drops of rain and chaos ensues and everything comes to a halt.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

janders

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Looks what killing the operation again today is that they are using 10/19s instead of 01/28s

Must be killer for UA with international connections. With only single daily flight to most points across the Pacific, they must be stranding lots of people during such days.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Cubsrule

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm

UPlog wrote:

You don’t think the wind (currently 140 at 11) has anything to do with it?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

readytotaxi

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Gotta say it's one of my favorite cities to be stranded in, but I understand the frustration.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

janders

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

11-knot wind is hardly anything.

The point here is the airport is so inefficient operationally that any deviation from ideal conditions causes gridlock.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Amchi757300

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 pm

janders wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

The point here is the airport is so inefficient operationally that any deviation from ideal conditions causes gridlock.

This guy SFOs.

United1

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:43 pm

janders wrote:
Looks what killing the operation again today is that they are using 10/19s instead of 01/28s

Must be killer for UA with international connections. With only single daily flight to most points across the Pacific, they must be stranding lots of people during such days.

They are rerouting a lot of passengers today....SFO has a number of unique destinations but most of them can be reached via other hubs and carriers. I know we all get excited when flow control kicks in at SFO but UA has been dealing with the weather in SFO for decades. They know how to handle it and get passengers where they need to go.

UA also tends to cancel and delay UAX flights when the weather causes issues in SFO. That helps keep mainline, and the majority of passengers, in somewhat better shape.
Last edited by United1 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:44 pm

But on 28, is a 10 knot tailwind!

GF

United1

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm

janders wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

It's not the speed of the wind that's the issue its the direction of the wind and ceilings today that are preventing simultaneous landings from taking place. Is it ideal no...would it be better if the runways were spaced further apart...you bet ya. Will that ever happen? No...

SFO makes the best of it :)
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

mcdu

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:50 pm

janders wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

It is significant when you can't exceed a 10KT tailwind limit for takeoff or landing in many jets. So while 11kts might not bother you personally it can have a huge impact on an airport.

Karlsands

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:52 pm

The main reason sfo gets backed up worse for trivial events weather wise is because of the lateral proximity between runways, they have to stagger approaches more so.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:54 pm

United1 wrote:
janders wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

It's not the speed of the wind that's the issue its the direction of the wind and ceilings today that are preventing simultaneous landings from taking place. Is it ideal no...would it be better if the runways were spaced further apart...you bet ya. Will that ever happen? No...

They had a plan to infill the bay enough to space out the runways, but NOOOOO........

GF

UPlog
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Like most airports, SFO can swing things around for winds and today are using 10 and 19s.

The airport, however, so operationally handicapped that it simply can't handle more than 28 flights per hour in this configuration.

LAXintl

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Yes running a hub especially that noon Asia bank is challenging, which made SFO the highest percentage misconnect hub for UA in 2017 per townhall statement. With minimal reroute options customers often will get stuck for extended periods or overnight with the cost that goes along.

Today, as typically done, UAX gets the cut first with plenty of cancels to places like MFR, SBA, ONT, RDD, EGE, RNO, MTJ, PSC, ASE, etc
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

skipness1E

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:00 pm

What’s the main points when they flip to the “wrong” config? Not enough taxiways?

UA777EWRTLV

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:08 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Yes running a hub especially that noon Asia bank is challenging, which made SFO the highest percentage misconnect hub for UA in 2017 per townhall statement. With minimal reroute options customers often will get stuck for extended periods or overnight with the cost that goes along.

Today, as typically done, UAX gets the cut first with plenty of cancels to places like MFR, SBA, ONT, RDD, EGE, RNO, MTJ, PSC, ASE, etc

I’m shocked that title didn’t go to EWR.

LAXintl

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:15 pm

UA777EWRTLV wrote:

EWR was always a larger percentage of local vs connections. SFO is closer to 50/50. Also EWR tends to have higher frequency in many markets compared to SFO which helps with customer recovery.

EWR for example if someone misses an early evening Europe departure there are options to Europe later in the evening to keep them moving. For SFO, once the noon Asia bank leaves, really no options left on UA, and minimal on OALs especially due things like curfew timings on Asia end for flights which necessitate long misconnect/layover at SFO.
Last edited by LAXintl on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atsiang

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Went through this mess a few weeks ago on Dec 16 2018. It was the same situation, heavy wind/rain with 3-4 hours delay at SFO. I was flying from SEA to SFO on Alaska with scheduled departure at 7pm. Departure time kept pushing back and back and at 9:00pm we boarded and hoped for a quick departure but just as the brakes were being released for pushback, the captain got word that there was a ground stop at SFO and we didn't finally takeoff till 11pm or so. I was sitting on the left side and when we landed at 1:30am and coming off the runway, I could see lots of planes were coming in even at that hour. It was insane evening/morning.

AirFiero

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 pm

LAXintl wrote:

...which doesn’t make for a very good connecting hub, especially for the smaller town/market folks. Small town UAX market passengers get screwed. Nice. Good motivation for AS to build a bigger hub there, huh?

Another reason why if I need to fly a commercial flight, I fly from SJC.

TW870

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm north of the city right now in Sonoma County. On and off heavy rain and gusty winds here, so I can see why they have to swap to the the 10/19 configuration.

While it is true that flightaware is showing 5hr avg. delays, I'm not seeing many flights that are getting hit that bad. Just looking at Delta inbounds the worst I'm seeing is about 90 minutes right now. I am sure United is worse just because the hub delays compound, but many people are making it out with relatively minor delays.

audidudi

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Current winds are 160 at 26 gusting 32 knots. Several recent wind shear alerts have been reported also!
Last edited by audidudi on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AWACSooner

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 pm

TW870 wrote:
I'm north of the city right now in Sonoma County. On and off heavy rain and gusty winds here, so I can see why they have to swap to the the 10/19 configuration.

While it is true that flightaware is showing 5hr avg. delays, I'm not seeing many flights that are getting hit that bad. Just looking at Delta inbounds the worst I'm seeing is about 90 minutes right now. I am sure United is worse just because the hub delays compound, but many people are making it out with relatively minor delays.

It's always worse for the airlines that hub at whatever airport has weather issues...look at AA and DFW whenever there's a lightning bolt within 500 miles...

Newbiepilot

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 pm

United1 wrote:
janders wrote:

They are rerouting a lot of passengers today....SFO has a number of unique destinations but most of them can be reached via other hubs and carriers. I know we all get excited when flow control kicks in at SFO but UA has been dealing with the weather in SFO for decades. They know how to handle it and get passengers where they need to go.

UA also tends to cancel and delay UAX flights when the weather causes issues in SFO. That helps keep mainline, and the majority of passengers, in somewhat better shape.

You are right. United has pushed the arrivals bank so early that most international connections arrive before the significant flow control hits unless it is a west coast inbound flight (like sea, pdx, san, las, etc)

SFOtoORD

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:06 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Just like the drivers here in California. A few light drops of rain and chaos ensues and everything comes to a halt.

It’s not a light rain at all today. Winds gusting as well.

I think one of the contributing factors at SFO is you have so many morning arrivals from Asia and Eastern US cities that are in the air before arrival rates drop. Then all of the late morning eastern departures and west coast departures end up with a large number of flights already airborn filling the limited arrivals.

SFOtoORD

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm

LAXintl wrote:
UA777EWRTLV wrote:

EWR was always a larger percentage of local vs connections. SFO is closer to 50/50. Also EWR tends to have higher frequency in many markets compared to SFO which helps with customer recovery.

EWR for example if someone misses an early evening Europe departure there are options to Europe later in the evening to keep them moving. For SFO, once the noon Asia bank leaves, really no options left on UA, and minimal on OALs especially due things like curfew timings on Asia end for flights which necessitate long misconnect/layover at SFO.

Seems like UA would benefit from building up a second full Asia bank at night. You’d end up with more routes at 2x and then your longest wait is 12 hrs for many destinations.

lightsaber

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
United1 wrote:
janders wrote:

They had a plan to infill the bay enough to space out the runways, but NOOOOO........

GF

My thoughts exactly. No points for shooting yourself in the foot. Get the noise into the bay so one can reverse runway direction.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

hiflyeras

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm

It's worth it for AS to have a hub at the second-largest airport on the West Coast. Yep, there will be delays some days but that doesn't mean you don't want to operate there.

747Whale

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Wind at the moment is 120/12. Forecast is 160/23, gusting 35, with windshear, winds 190/53 knots. It's predicted to be 40 knots through nightfall.

No indication that SFO is frivolously using Rwy 18.

The FAA's rating of capacity for KSFO is 100-110 operations/hour in visual conditions, but based on the use of combination runways 1/28.

The FAA's rating of capacity for KSFO is 70-72 in instrument conditions, but again, based on the use of ruwnays 1/28.

Capacity will be reduced with the use of 19.

Both speed and direction of the wind are the issue here, as well as reduced visibility and the instrument conditions.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_c ... e-2014.pdf

xxcr

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Yeah, SFO is terrible when it comes to rain and fog! Just a little rain will delay flights for hours. The runway layout at SFO doesn't help either.......

strfyr51

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:36 pm

UPlog wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwPviypU0AAcbfA.jpg:large

Per FAA advisory, the airports hourly handling rate is down to mere 28 flights!

I live 60 MI NE of SFO just east of Travis AFB the wind is whipping and Rain is on and off. I can see the winds bending a 75ft spruce tree out of my front window
SO? I can only imagine what it's like on the Ramp at SFO. the way the winds are coming in they're probably landing on the 10's and taking off on the 28's. The Runways are too close to do side by side approaches in Bad Weather. So everybody will have to follow the leader on 10Lor make crosswind landings on the 19's.
Since NO new airport is in the works? And? There's no place to put it anyway? Complaining is going to get you NOTHING! My suggestion? Fly into Sacramento Oakland or San Jose. One of them has Got to get you close to where you want to Be.. Other than that? It Is what it IS!!

aklrno

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 pm

On days like this getting from RNO-SFO is just about impossible. If I need to take a long haul out of SFO I will plan on lots of extra time and then fly WN RNO-OAK. BART serves both airports and the trip takes about 90 minutes. Better than sitting on the ground at RNO for hours and then missing the connection. Better yet I do my connection through LAX. In the last 20 years or so I missed only one connection through LAX and that was because high winds closed RNO. Connecting from the west coast through SFO is generally a bad idea.

sincx

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 pm

SFO has actually been improving operationally quite a bit.

In low ceiling situations, what previously would have been 3 hours delays are now 30-40 minute delays, because SFO now permits parallel approaches to 28L and R with much lower ceilings than before.

But that doesn't help when 28L/R can't be used.

Perhaps they'll figure out how to do the same for 19 L/R landings.

n471wn

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:27 pm

Why would anyone in their right mind fly domestically into SFO rather than OAK!!! We Bay Area natives all say the same thing—only fly into and out of SFO IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE! And then we have Norwegian Airlines moving their flights to SFO from OAK. They will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with this move—-their management needs to be drug tested!

timh4000

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 pm

AirFiero wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

...which doesn’t make for a very good connecting hub, especially for the smaller town/market folks. Small town UAX market passengers get screwed. Nice. Good motivation for AS to build a bigger hub there, huh?

Another reason why if I need to fly a commercial flight, I fly from SJC.

In 87 I was stationed at LA AFB and had an aunt and uncle who I used to go visit on several weekends. Landed at both SJC and SFO. Then in 88 and 89 lived in San Jose. Fairly close to the airport actually. I used to watch the planes on final. Occasionally saw them dropping the gear although usually it was already down by the time they came into view. SJC back then was quite the busy airport. Occasionally I'd see them turned the other way but not very often. Just one airport, not considered a major one and in the 2 years living there seeing thousands of landings really gives you the perspective if how many flights are flown. And it's only busier worldwide by whatever percent, I'm sure someone on here knows... during those 3 years I flew into and out of SFO several times, and a similar amount from SJC. Never recalled back then having major issues with SFO. Although several isn't probably enough to quantify a statement that it wasn't a problem back then, but i never encountered it nor did I recall hearing ppl complain about it. Likewise never had any major delays with SJC Either.

ben175

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm flying from SFO to CUN tomorrow morning - how long do these delays usually knock on for?

747megatop

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 pm

janders wrote:

SFO is an airport to be avoided at all costs for transiting. It is delay prone. UA much better off moving their hub down to LAX. I think LAX is the least delay prone major airport in the country perhaps. SFO is definitely a nightmare of an airport for an airline to run a hub out of.

MO11

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:58 pm

ben175 wrote:
I'm flying from SFO to CUN tomorrow morning - how long do these delays usually knock on for?

"knock on"?

Rain is supposed to end overnight, so if the lower clouds dissipate, it should be OK. If the weather were to stay bad, it really depends on how early, and if your plane has to come from somewhere.

LAXintl

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 am

DOT Ranking of Major Airport On-Time Arrival Performance Year-to-date through October 2018

Rank Jan 1 - October 31, 2018 %
1 Honolulu, HI (HNL) 88.32
2 Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) 85.65
3 Atlanta, GA (ATL) 84.07
4 Detroit, MI (DTW) 83.84
5 Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP) 83.81
6 Portland, OR (PDX) 83.29
7 Houston, TX (IAH) 81.84
8 Denver, CO (DEN) 81.79
9 San Diego, CA (SAN) 81.27
10 Charlotte, NC (CLT) 80.87
11 Las Vegas, NV (LAS) 80.74
12 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 80.61
13 Washington, DC (IAD) 80.55
14 Miami, FL (MIA) 80.47
15 Baltimore, MD (BWI) 80.28
16 Seattle, WA (SEA) 80.10
17 Phoenix, AZ (PHX) 79.51
18 Chicago, IL (MDW) 79.37
19 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) 78.87
20 Tampa, FL (TPA) 78.83
21 Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) 78.19
22 Orlando, FL (MCO) 77.57
23 Washington, DC (DCA) 77.10
24 Chicago, IL (ORD) 77.00
25 Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 75.52
26 New York, NY (JFK) 75.26
27 San Francisco, CA (SFO) 74.13
28 Boston, MA (BOS) 73.53
29 New York, NY (LGA) 71.89
30 Newark, NJ (EWR) 66.46

32andBelow

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 am

I doubt ATC is breaking their dicks to increase the capacity either. Working for free and all.

SteelChair

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 am

ATC gets paid whether they work the traffic or not. They have no skin in the game. Its easier just to claim "safety" and slow the traffic down.

mict

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:51 am

Weather is bad enough that there are some go arounds. UA525 from IAD just went around.

Stabilator

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:09 am

SteelChair wrote:
ATC gets paid whether they work the traffic or not. They have no skin in the game. Its easier just to claim "safety" and slow the traffic down.

ATC isn't getting paid right now due to the shutdown. When things open back up there's a chance for backpay.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

sincx

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:24 am

mict wrote:
Weather is bad enough that there are some go arounds. UA525 from IAD just went around.

It ended up diverting to SJC.

aklrno

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:09 am

ben175 wrote:

Connecting at SFO or originating at SFO? If not connecting anywhere you may have to hang around SFO for a while. If connection is at SFO try to get there as early as you can. Delays will go on as long as poor weather persists. Should be fine by May.

sincx

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 am

Wow lots of go-arounds, wind shear on final. An UA 789 from PVG just went around. An Alaska A320 is going for their 3rd landing attempt.

mict

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 am

sincx wrote:
mict wrote:

It ended up diverting to SJC.

It just took off from SJC heading to SFO now

steveinbc

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 am

The only flights i have ever had cancelled where SFO flights due to heavy fog/poor visibility. One was an actual flight to SFO, the other was a flight where the incoming aircraft was from SFO. Yes. I've had bad delays too at other airports but never experienced cancellations
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

SFOtoORD

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 am

ben175 wrote:

Should be fine. Use the United app to see where the inbound aircraft is coming from. It can change, but usually helpful.

adtall

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:30 am

LAXintl wrote:
DOT Ranking of Major Airport On-Time Arrival Performance Year-to-date through October 2018

Rank Jan 1 - October 31, 2018 %
1 Honolulu, HI (HNL) 88.32
2 Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) 85.65
3 Atlanta, GA (ATL) 84.07
4 Detroit, MI (DTW) 83.84
5 Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP) 83.81

6 Portland, OR (PDX) 83.29
7 Houston, TX (IAH) 81.84
8 Denver, CO (DEN) 81.79
9 San Diego, CA (SAN) 81.27
10 Charlotte, NC (CLT) 80.87
11 Las Vegas, NV (LAS) 80.74
12 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 80.61
13 Washington, DC (IAD) 80.55
14 Miami, FL (MIA) 80.47
15 Baltimore, MD (BWI) 80.28
16 Seattle, WA (SEA) 80.10
17 Phoenix, AZ (PHX) 79.51
18 Chicago, IL (MDW) 79.37
19 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) 78.87
20 Tampa, FL (TPA) 78.83
21 Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) 78.19
22 Orlando, FL (MCO) 77.57
23 Washington, DC (DCA) 77.10
24 Chicago, IL (ORD) 77.00
25 Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 75.52
26 New York, NY (JFK) 75.26
27 San Francisco, CA (SFO) 74.13
28 Boston, MA (BOS) 73.53
29 New York, NY (LGA) 71.89
30 Newark, NJ (EWR) 66.46

Chickens and eggs and all, but that's kinda impressive for DL with 4 out of 5 of its largest hubs in the top 5 behind weather-blessed HNL (I believe LGA edges SLC in flights per day, but could be wrong there).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos