747Whale
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am

32andBelow wrote:
I doubt ATC is breaking their dicks to increase the capacity either. Working for free and all.


The capacity I cited previously, with link, is not something ATC can improve upon. It's based on a number of factors, but is the amount that the airport can handle, based on a best-case scenario. 53-knot winds down the shortest runway with windshear in instrument conditions is not a best case.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 pm

What goes into the calculation that produces the delay number? Many flights operate at or close to on time (especially long haul, transcons), and many cancel; there aren't many 10 hour delays to counterbalance the on times to get to a 5 hour average. Do they assign a number for the cancellations to factor them into the calculation?
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:21 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
What goes into the calculation that produces the delay number? Many flights operate at or close to on time (especially long haul, transcons), and many cancel; there aren't many 10 hour delays to counterbalance the on times to get to a 5 hour average. Do they assign a number for the cancellations to factor them into the calculation?

Essentially. They reduced the rate of the airport to 28 per hour. So you just have to shuffle around the over capacity into available slots. Major airlines have control of their slots and can move flights around. Smaller operators are just the mercy of ATC to provide them with an open slot. Airlines will move their cancellations to the last hour of the program which usually will see a spike in arrival rate say 36 in this case so they can move up the slots to other flights.

Yesterday’s program wasn’t so much about the ceilings and rain, but the wind speed and direction. When you’re up and down on the 19s (with some heavies departing 10) you’re only landing one runway. You can’t put down much more than 28 airplanes an hour. They also have to build in gaps to allow some departures off of 19L that don’t have performance off of 19R which also factors into the 28 number.
SFO
 
sincx
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm

How much would it take to set up SOIA/CSPR approaches on 19L/R to enable parallel approaches in IMC? CSPR has greatly reduced delays in IMC when 28L/R are used for landings.
 
leader1
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 am

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:53 pm

sincx wrote:
How much would it take to set up SOIA/CSPR approaches on 19L/R to enable parallel approaches in IMC? CSPR has greatly reduced delays in IMC when 28L/R are used for landings.


Only one of the 19 runways has instrument approaches. I think it's 19L, but I could be mistaken. Landing on the 19s is so rare that it probably doesn't justify the cost (in the millions) to add additional equipment to 19R.
Leader-1
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:57 pm

sincx wrote:
How much would it take to set up SOIA/CSPR approaches on 19L/R to enable parallel approaches in IMC? CSPR has greatly reduced delays in IMC when 28L/R are used for landings.

This wouldn’t increase the rate if you’re up and down on the 19s.
SFO
 
747megatop
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Stabilator wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
ATC gets paid whether they work the traffic or not. They have no skin in the game. Its easier just to claim "safety" and slow the traffic down.


ATC isn't getting paid right now due to the shutdown. When things open back up there's a chance for backpay.

Interesting chicken and egg situation here. ATC folks have to work because they are considered "essential staff". But, what happens if those folks run out of cash (will happen sooner than later) and can't afford the transportation to get into work? What contingency plans are the Airports+FAA going to take?
 
jagraham
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:12 pm

LAXintl wrote:
DOT Ranking of Major Airport On-Time Arrival Performance Year-to-date through October 2018

Rank Jan 1 - October 31, 2018 %
1 Honolulu, HI (HNL) 88.32
2 Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) 85.65
3 Atlanta, GA (ATL) 84.07
4 Detroit, MI (DTW) 83.84
5 Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP) 83.81
6 Portland, OR (PDX) 83.29
7 Houston, TX (IAH) 81.84
8 Denver, CO (DEN) 81.79
9 San Diego, CA (SAN) 81.27
10 Charlotte, NC (CLT) 80.87
11 Las Vegas, NV (LAS) 80.74
12 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 80.61
13 Washington, DC (IAD) 80.55
14 Miami, FL (MIA) 80.47
15 Baltimore, MD (BWI) 80.28
16 Seattle, WA (SEA) 80.10
17 Phoenix, AZ (PHX) 79.51
18 Chicago, IL (MDW) 79.37
19 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) 78.87
20 Tampa, FL (TPA) 78.83
21 Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) 78.19
22 Orlando, FL (MCO) 77.57
23 Washington, DC (DCA) 77.10
24 Chicago, IL (ORD) 77.00
25 Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 75.52
26 New York, NY (JFK) 75.26
27 San Francisco, CA (SFO) 74.13
28 Boston, MA (BOS) 73.53
29 New York, NY (LGA) 71.89
30 Newark, NJ (EWR) 66.46



Is there a similar report for cancellations?
 
User avatar
mooseofspruce
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Delays were terribad but as noted regionals got the first cuts, while priority went to International ops (LH455 FRA was delayed an hour while AF83 to CDG was less than an hour), selfishly I found it neat to witness live takeoffs from the 19s, one of which was the LH 748 which appeared a few times over the week when normally it's either the A380 or A346.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!
 
DoctorVenkman
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Stabilator wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
ATC gets paid whether they work the traffic or not. They have no skin in the game. Its easier just to claim "safety" and slow the traffic down.


ATC isn't getting paid right now due to the shutdown. When things open back up there's a chance for backpay.


I'm sure if your boss told you "I'm going to withold your next couple of paychecks, but I'll get them back to you eventually" you wouldn't be happy either. Especially in the Bay Area where ATC's pay is barely enough to afford a small closet with a cockroach infestation. I'd wager a lot of ATC in the Bay Area don't have a ton of savings and will certainly feel the missing paychecks when rent comes due.
 
xxcr
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm

747megatop wrote:
janders wrote:
Looks what killing the operation again today is that they are using 10/19s instead of 01/28s

Must be killer for UA with international connections. With only single daily flight to most points across the Pacific, they must be stranding lots of people during such days.


SFO is an airport to be avoided at all costs for transiting. It is delay prone. UA much better off moving their hub down to LAX. I think LAX is the least delay prone major airport in the country perhaps. SFO is definitely a nightmare of an airport for an airline to run a hub out of.


SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.

LAX has their own issues to deal with. They are extremely congested when it comes to gate space and flights will sometimes have to wait for the gate area to clear since its a one way rd for most gates.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6315
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm

What do they do when they takeoff on 19R, which I believe is extremely rare. 19L takeoffs make a left turn and head south over Burlingame. What about 19R takeoffs?

When I lived in Millbrae as a young child, 1R and 1L approaches were straight in over the hill and houses, not the curved approaches they do now. That's over a 3 degree approach to keep 1000 feet above the Mills Estate neighborhood. It was pretty wild.
 
timz
Posts: 6568
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:33 pm

    As you'd expect, 19R departures turn left same as 19L departures. If SFO is sending most departures off runways 19, some will be off 19R -- it's not rare, given that they're departing the 19s.

    I have a slide of a Tower Air 747 departing 19R to JFK.
     
    ucdtim17
    Posts: 564
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm

    xxcr wrote:
    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.


    You have a very high bar for what you consider problematic delays. There are few airports that have more maximal delays than SFO (see above list that has SFO 27th out of 30 for on time arrivals).
     
    User avatar
    seabosdca
    Posts: 6495
    Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 pm

    Any airport can suffer a truly egregious weather day like yesterday. The real problem with SFO is the everyday fog throughout the summer and early fall that produces cascading delays and has an effect on both UA and AS operations in lots of other places. I'd like to know what portion of AS's total delays in Seattle is actually attributable to troubles at SFO--I suspect it would be surprisingly high.
     
    xxcr
    Posts: 344
    Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 pm

    ucdtim17 wrote:
    xxcr wrote:
    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.


    You have a very high bar for what you consider problematic delays. There are few airports that have more maximal delays than SFO (see above list that has SFO 27th out of 30 for on time arrivals).


    you have a point there. my point is just from my experience. I fly out of SFO 40-50x a year, and i experience maybe 5 delays that are weather related. I always have issues leaving LAX or that could just be my luck.....
     
    xxcr
    Posts: 344
    Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:45 pm

    BoeingGuy wrote:
    What do they do when they takeoff on 19R, which I believe is extremely rare. 19L takeoffs make a left turn and head south over Burlingame. What about 19R takeoffs?

    When I lived in Millbrae as a young child, 1R and 1L approaches were straight in over the hill and houses, not the curved approaches they do now. That's over a 3 degree approach to keep 1000 feet above the Mills Estate neighborhood. It was pretty wild.


    I dont remember any flights taking off from 19R or 19L. I've landed on 19R once or twice but never take. My question is, why dont flights take off from 19R/L???
     
    atsiang
    Posts: 118
    Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

    BoeingGuy wrote:
    What do they do when they takeoff on 19R, which I believe is extremely rare. 19L takeoffs make a left turn and head south over Burlingame. What about 19R takeoffs?

    When I lived in Millbrae as a young child, 1R and 1L approaches were straight in over the hill and houses, not the curved approaches they do now. That's over a 3 degree approach to keep 1000 feet above the Mills Estate neighborhood. It was pretty wild.


    Speaking of landing on the 1's, I captured this a few years ago while driving back from work and stopped at the BART station. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIxAIWFM90 Wind was howling for a long time that day and planes were coming on the 1's for quite a while. Wish this happened more often!
     
    atsiang
    Posts: 118
    Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm

    BoeingGuy wrote:
    What do they do when they takeoff on 19R, which I believe is extremely rare. 19L takeoffs make a left turn and head south over Burlingame. What about 19R takeoffs?

    When I lived in Millbrae as a young child, 1R and 1L approaches were straight in over the hill and houses, not the curved approaches they do now. That's over a 3 degree approach to keep 1000 feet above the Mills Estate neighborhood. It was pretty wild.


    Speaking of landing on the 1's, I captured this a few years ago while driving back from work and stopped at the BART station. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIxAIWFM90 Wind was howling for a long time that day and planes were coming on the 1's for quite a while. Wish this happened more often!
     
    flyguy84
    Posts: 770
    Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:45 pm

    xxcr wrote:
    BoeingGuy wrote:
    What do they do when they takeoff on 19R, which I believe is extremely rare. 19L takeoffs make a left turn and head south over Burlingame. What about 19R takeoffs?

    When I lived in Millbrae as a young child, 1R and 1L approaches were straight in over the hill and houses, not the curved approaches they do now. That's over a 3 degree approach to keep 1000 feet above the Mills Estate neighborhood. It was pretty wild.


    I dont remember any flights taking off from 19R or 19L. I've landed on 19R once or twice but never take. My question is, why dont flights take off from 19R/L???

    They do and did yesterday afternoon/evening.
    SFO
     
    User avatar
    Aaron747
    Posts: 9535
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am

    xxcr wrote:
    I dont remember any flights taking off from 19R or 19L. I've landed on 19R once or twice but never take. My question is, why dont flights take off from 19R/L???


    For the same reason there aren't departures from rwy 8 at BUR - rising terrain less than a runway length from the ends of the 19s. They have to turn left immediately after taking off from these runways for both noise abatement and engine-out obstacle clearance performance. Not an ideal situation if you value safety, so these runways are used as a LAST resort.

    With the gusty winds at 140 over 30 knots, there would be a lot of turbulence landing 10R through the San Bruno gap. The numerous WS warnings are no surprise.
    If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
     
    User avatar
    janders
    Moderator
    Posts: 847
    Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

    Another crappy day at SFO. Average delays 2.5hrs



    CTL ELEMENT: SFO
    ELEMENT TYPE: APT
    ADL TIME: 2136Z
    DELAY ASSIGNMENT MODE: UDP
    ARRIVALS ESTIMATED FOR: 08/2136Z - 09/0859Z
    CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 08/1700Z - 09/0859Z
    PROGRAM RATE: 28/28/28/28/28/28/25/25/25/25/25/25
    FLT INCL: ALL CONTIGUOUS US DEP
    DEP SCOPE: (ALL+CZV_AP) ZLA ZAU ZLC ZTL ZDC ZNY ZHU ZJX ZFW ZOB ZDV
    ZOA ZSE ZBW ZMA ZKC ZME ZID ZAB ZMP
    CANADIAN DEP ARPTS INCLUDED: CYEG CYVR CYYC
    DELAY ASSIGNMENT TABLE APPLIES TO: ZOA
    MAXIMUM DELAY: 912
    AVERAGE DELAY: 151
    IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / WIND
    COMMENTS: LANDING RWY 19L DEPARTING 10L/10R.1.
    ALL FLIGHTS RELEASED ON THE NEW EDCTS
    "We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
     
    IADCA
    Posts: 1854
    Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 pm

    xxcr wrote:
    ucdtim17 wrote:
    xxcr wrote:
    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.


    You have a very high bar for what you consider problematic delays. There are few airports that have more maximal delays than SFO (see above list that has SFO 27th out of 30 for on time arrivals).


    you have a point there. my point is just from my experience. I fly out of SFO 40-50x a year, and i experience maybe 5 delays that are weather related. I always have issues leaving LAX or that could just be my luck.....


    Sure, but then there's the amount that aren't related to weather. I can't remember the last flight I took out of SFO after 5 or 6 pm that didn't sit on the tarmac for a significant amount of time (30 minutes plus) between pushback and departure, and that's probably 15 flights in the last year. Granted, the delays aren't as bad early in the day, but SFO has issues to the point that I use SJC whenever feasible and live with the lack of lounge access.
     
    nry
    Posts: 110
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:42 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 pm

    mict wrote:
    sincx wrote:
    mict wrote:
    Weather is bad enough that there are some go arounds. UA525 from IAD just went around.

    It ended up diverting to SJC.


    It just took off from SJC heading to SFO now


    This was my aircraft to go to LAX. 4 hour delay!
    B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
    A319, A320, A321, A340 (surprisingly no A330 yet)
    L1011
    ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175
     
    reality
    Posts: 433
    Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:01 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 am

    AeroMexico SFO flight diverted to OAK because of weather on Thursday. After long delay, 2 passengers were escorted off the plane by police.

    "One man became upset and threatened to open the aircraft door and exit. Crews were concerned that it would activate emergency ramp system on an active tarmac. . ."

    "Eventually, the flight was deplaned and passengers went through customs at Oakland Airport."

    [about 4 hours after landing at OAK]

    https://abc7news.com/travel/2-unruly-pa ... s/5049435/

    http://www.fox5atlanta.com/facebook-ins ... d-from-sfo
     
    Chasensfo
    Posts: 181
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 am

    You know, on the day of the 5 hour ATC delays, planes held at the end of the 10s for 3-4 hours waiting to take off, with some returning to the gate and departing 5-6 hours after initial push, and the 19s, 28s, and 10s were being used for take off at the SAME TIME because the winds kept shifting at one point. Does that sound normal? JFK and the other major US airports have similar delays when strange winds narrow them down to 1 runway or several configuration changes. Just one of those days, average ATC delays over 2 hours are rare at SFO.

    Hell, the Lufthansa 747-8i, Virgin Atlantic A340-600, SAS A340-300, British Airways 747, ect all went off the 19s that day. Very rare to see that, usually even if the 19s are being used for departures, most heavies take the crosswind off 10L/R. Not an option that day, you sat by the 10s for hours until you could go, or blasted off over the Millbrae hills. At 430AM, the Hawaii flights were arriving and there were still United and Alaska planes between the 28s holding for gates! Not a normal occurrence, by any means.
     
    slcdeltarumd11
    Posts: 4375
    Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 am

    Will united book people on other airlines , or this weather related and tough luck?

    EGE, MTJ, ASE not the easiest places to reroute people
     
    ucdtim17
    Posts: 564
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:07 am

    Delays 2:39 right now; weather will get worse this week leading up to big storm Wed/Thurs. There's currently a high wind watch for Wednesday so be prepared for long delays if you're planning to fly through SFO then.
     
    ncflyer
    Posts: 1181
    Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 am

    Why doesn’t ATC cancel the heck out of SFO preventatively, like they did in DCA/ IAD yesterday with winter storm GIO?
     
    User avatar
    UPlog
    Topic Author
    Posts: 386
    Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:55 am

    ncflyer wrote:
    Why doesn’t ATC cancel the heck out of SFO preventatively, like they did in DCA/ IAD yesterday with winter storm GIO?


    ATC does not cancel anything. Airlines do.

    ATC will work whatever they can based on conditions available, be it weather, number of runways or what not and issue flow rates and advisories accordingly.
     
    User avatar
    janders
    Moderator
    Posts: 847
    Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 pm

    SFO delays today:

    "Due to WEATHER/WIND traffic mgmt prgrm causing some arriving flight delays averaging 3 hours and 35 minutes."
    "We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
     
    fortunerunnner
    Posts: 72
    Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 pm

    I was looking at flightradar today and it seems EK225 had aborted landing on 19. Based on playback, it seems A380 came all the way down to 100 ft before spooling back up and making sharp left turn to avoid Millbrae mountains. Must be quiet a site and a scare for the passengers.
     
    trav777
    Posts: 163
    Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:17 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 am

    Ahhh...SFO. Summer time. Ugh. Had a flight scrubbed from MFR-SFO like 3 days in a row. Fog. Regionals get stomped on. Horrible airline to connect to during the foggy months. Surprised it is this bad also during winter...good geographic location but man that airport suffers from weather
     
    mantistobogn
    Posts: 24
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:13 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 am

    fortunerunnner wrote:
    I was looking at flightradar today and it seems EK225 had aborted landing on 19. Based on playback, it seems A380 came all the way down to 100 ft before spooling back up and making sharp left turn to avoid Millbrae mountains. Must be quiet a site and a scare for the passengers.


    I landed around 8pm in the middle of the storms strongest cell, 18033G49KT and I needed a fresh pair of underwear once we reached the gate.
     
    strfyr51
    Posts: 3895
    Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:44 am

    Karlsands wrote:
    The main reason sfo gets backed up worse for trivial events weather wise is because of the lateral proximity between runways, they have to stagger approaches more so.

    they already thought of that and the Enviornmental lobby put a halt to offsetting the runways into the Bay, to widen the runway Spacing? the superbay, all corporate parking the Coast Guard and part of United's parking lot and maybe a few Hangars might have to go. \But at what cost and for Whom? Maybe the airlines need to rethink this or there needs to be another Airport site looked at. In Contra Costa County, Marin County, or Santa Clara county, (where the Airport would be a minimum of 1 hrs Drive north-East, East , South or North of SFO in Pretty Expensive real Estate. OR spend a couple of hundreds of million Bucks to build new Freeways between Oakland, San Francisco and San Jose with Direct Transit Railways, or Road Interchanges. If they started tomorrow? The Lawsuits might be settled by 2030.
     
    mm320cap
    Posts: 299
    Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:35 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am

    6:30 wheels up delay now. At midnight.
     
    Chasensfo
    Posts: 181
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:37 am

    LH459, the A380, had to go off 19L tonight! Wow, first time I even know of that happening since the Asiana crash forced all departures to the 19s for 2 days in 2013. Real strong winds, but airlines at SFO proactively cancelled flights this time, so even tough nothing could take off for periods of time due to 50 knot windsheer(!) on departure, things went OK. Minus the delays.
     
    mm320cap
    Posts: 299
    Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:35 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 am

    Chasensfo wrote:
    LH459, the A380, had to go off 19L tonight! Wow, first time I even know of that happening since the Asiana crash forced all departures to the 19s for 2 days in 2013. Real strong winds, but airlines at SFO proactively cancelled flights this time, so even tough nothing could take off for periods of time due to 50 knot windsheer(!) on departure, things went OK. Minus the delays.


    I’m not sure that a 6:26 delay at midnight is “ok”. I’ve been flying into and out of here for 25 years and I’ve never seen it this bad
     
    Lexy
    Posts: 1480
    Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am

    Our SFO crew timed out waiting for a wheels up today. Flight is delayed until later in the morning now.
    Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
     
    ucdtim17
    Posts: 564
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm

    trav777 wrote:
    Ahhh...SFO. Summer time. Ugh. Had a flight scrubbed from MFR-SFO like 3 days in a row. Fog. Regionals get stomped on. Horrible airline to connect to during the foggy months. Surprised it is this bad also during winter...good geographic location but man that airport suffers from weather


    Summer fog doesn't usually generate 61 mph gusts like the storm yesterday. Bad today too.
     
    trav777
    Posts: 163
    Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:17 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:42 pm

    ucdtim17 wrote:
    trav777 wrote:
    Ahhh...SFO. Summer time. Ugh. Had a flight scrubbed from MFR-SFO like 3 days in a row. Fog. Regionals get stomped on. Horrible airline to connect to during the foggy months. Surprised it is this bad also during winter...good geographic location but man that airport suffers from weather


    Summer fog doesn't usually generate 61 mph gusts like the storm yesterday. Bad today too.


    61? good lord what a storm. Sometimes those pacific storms are like hurricanes...i used to live right on the coast. Port Orford in OR has Cape Blanco which is one of the windiest places on the coast, 70+ isn't uncommon there

    Worst winds I experienced for a landing were a flight from MEL-SYD, gusts were like 35-50 kt or something, we had to do one go around.
     
    ucdtim17
    Posts: 564
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 pm

    strfyr51 wrote:
    Maybe the airlines need to rethink this or there needs to be another Airport site looked at. In Contra Costa County, Marin County, or Santa Clara county, (where the Airport would be a minimum of 1 hrs Drive north-East, East , South or North of SFO in Pretty Expensive real Estate. OR spend a couple of hundreds of million Bucks to build new Freeways between Oakland, San Francisco and San Jose with Direct Transit Railways, or Road Interchanges. If they started tomorrow? The Lawsuits might be settled by 2030.


    We already have alternate airports in far better locations than any new airport would be and at least direct rail access to one (OAK). People want to fly to "San Francisco" though and airlines prefer the delays to operating out of OAK so until that changes, this is what we get.
     
    747megatop
    Posts: 1702
    Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:12 am

    xxcr wrote:
    747megatop wrote:
    janders wrote:
    Looks what killing the operation again today is that they are using 10/19s instead of 01/28s

    Must be killer for UA with international connections. With only single daily flight to most points across the Pacific, they must be stranding lots of people during such days.


    SFO is an airport to be avoided at all costs for transiting. It is delay prone. UA much better off moving their hub down to LAX. I think LAX is the least delay prone major airport in the country perhaps. SFO is definitely a nightmare of an airport for an airline to run a hub out of.


    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.

    LAX has their own issues to deal with. They are extremely congested when it comes to gate space and flights will sometimes have to wait for the gate area to clear since its a one way rd for most gates.

    Eh? SFO is one of the best airports to fly out of? All it takes is clouds and a few heavy showers to throw travel out of gear at SFO. JFK is defnitely in much better shape considering that is is far busier than SFO and can handle bad weather much better than SFO. LAX has congesion issues but definitely doesn't figure in the top 10 worst on-time airports for weather related delays. SFO tops the list btw -

    https://weather.com/travel/news/2018-11 ... s-airports
     
    atsiang
    Posts: 118
    Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:45 am

    747megatop wrote:
    xxcr wrote:
    747megatop wrote:

    SFO is an airport to be avoided at all costs for transiting. It is delay prone. UA much better off moving their hub down to LAX. I think LAX is the least delay prone major airport in the country perhaps. SFO is definitely a nightmare of an airport for an airline to run a hub out of.


    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.

    LAX has their own issues to deal with. They are extremely congested when it comes to gate space and flights will sometimes have to wait for the gate area to clear since its a one way rd for most gates.

    Eh? SFO is one of the best airports to fly out of? All it takes is clouds and a few heavy showers to throw travel out of gear at SFO. JFK is defnitely in much better shape considering that is is far busier than SFO and can handle bad weather much better than SFO. LAX has congesion issues but definitely doesn't figure in the top 10 worst on-time airports for weather related delays. SFO tops the list btw -

    https://weather.com/travel/news/2018-11 ... s-airports


    I agree that SFO is far from ideal to fly out of. I've lived in the Bay Area for 30+ years. It doesn't take much to throw schedules out of wack at SFO from winter storms to summer fog. By far, SJC and OAK are way way better to fly out of, much less prone to weather delays. SFO is just absolutely ridiculous in terms of delays as a result of weather.
     
    xxcr
    Posts: 344
    Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:43 pm

    747megatop wrote:
    xxcr wrote:
    747megatop wrote:

    SFO is an airport to be avoided at all costs for transiting. It is delay prone. UA much better off moving their hub down to LAX. I think LAX is the least delay prone major airport in the country perhaps. SFO is definitely a nightmare of an airport for an airline to run a hub out of.


    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.

    LAX has their own issues to deal with. They are extremely congested when it comes to gate space and flights will sometimes have to wait for the gate area to clear since its a one way rd for most gates.

    Eh? SFO is one of the best airports to fly out of? All it takes is clouds and a few heavy showers to throw travel out of gear at SFO. JFK is defnitely in much better shape considering that is is far busier than SFO and can handle bad weather much better than SFO. LAX has congesion issues but definitely doesn't figure in the top 10 worst on-time airports for weather related delays. SFO tops the list btw -

    https://weather.com/travel/news/2018-11 ... s-airports


    lol that is true. I rarely have flights that are delayed to weather.

    Haven't flown to JFK in almost 5 years, since i UA doesn't fly there. i'll EWR over JFK.
     
    SonaSounds
    Posts: 252
    Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm

    Re: 5+ Hour delays into SFO

    Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

    747megatop wrote:
    xxcr wrote:
    747megatop wrote:

    SFO is an airport to be avoided at all costs for transiting. It is delay prone. UA much better off moving their hub down to LAX. I think LAX is the least delay prone major airport in the country perhaps. SFO is definitely a nightmare of an airport for an airline to run a hub out of.


    SFO is one of the best airports IMO to fly out of. Delays are minimal and only bad a few weeks out of the year. It's like saying DL or AA should move their JFK ops to IAD or DCA....not much different.

    LAX has their own issues to deal with. They are extremely congested when it comes to gate space and flights will sometimes have to wait for the gate area to clear since its a one way rd for most gates.

    Eh? SFO is one of the best airports to fly out of? All it takes is clouds and a few heavy showers to throw travel out of gear at SFO. JFK is defnitely in much better shape considering that is is far busier than SFO and can handle bad weather much better than SFO. LAX has congesion issues but definitely doesn't figure in the top 10 worst on-time airports for weather related delays. SFO tops the list btw -

    https://weather.com/travel/news/2018-11 ... s-airports


    Define "far busier"? JFK was 1.3% busier last summer doing a whopping 59 more flights a week than SFO (4,677 vs 4,618)......

    Popular Searches On Airliners.net

    Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

    Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

    Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

    Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

    Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

    Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

    Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

    Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

    Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

    Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

    Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

    Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

    Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

    Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

    Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos