Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DCAfan
Topic Author

DCA is dead today (Jan 7th)

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:07 pm

The firs6 Monday after New Year's things normally get back to normal. But at DCA the airport is as quiet as a door mouse. Hardly anybody is flying. This is worse than sequestration. We'll see what happens.

FLIHGH

Re: DCA is dead today (Jan 7th)

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm

DC flying usually takes some time to get back to normal. Business travel doesn’t pick back up until late January. But, I assume the government issues have something to do with slightly lower numbers.

VC10DC10

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of tourists have cancelled/postponed plans to visit DC until after many major museums/parks/tourist sites are back in full operation.

OzarkD9S

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:49 pm

VC10DC10 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of tourists have cancelled/postponed plans to visit DC until after many major museums/parks/tourist sites are back in full operation.

I can't imagine the demand to visit those places are very high in January.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

Jouhou

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm

FLIHGH wrote:
DC flying usually takes some time to get back to normal. Business travel doesn’t pick back up until late January. But, I assume the government issues have something to do with slightly lower numbers.

Considering government workers frequently travel to DC, yeah.
情報

DCAfan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm

DCA is still dead as a doornail. The airlines must be taking a huge hit on business due to the government shutdown. I know the moderators of this site don't like to deal with bad news. But it is what it is.

Pyrex

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 pm

If this really is all due to a drop in government traffic, considering how minimal the impact of the shutdown has been to most people then perhaps we can keep it going after it ends and save the government a bunch of money out of its travel budget. Government employees already get paid more and have more vacation days than private sector workers, so they can afford to travel around on their own dime if they want to.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

bkflyguy

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Pyrex wrote:
If this really is all due to a drop in government traffic, considering how minimal the impact of the shutdown has been to most people then perhaps we can keep it going after it ends and save the government a bunch of money out of its travel budget. Government employees already get paid more and have more vacation days than private sector workers, so they can afford to travel around on their own dime if they want to.

Oh lord. 1) It isn't just government employees. Think of all the contractors/companies with business with the government or that are regulated by the government and need to travel for those matters. That's all stopped at the moment. 2) most government employees are not paid more than the private sector. The only ones that have better pay are at the bottom of the scale - i.e. janitors and other more blue collar workers. The white-collar workers, managers, lawyers, etc. are woefully underpaid compared to the private sector. For example, a 1st year associate at a major law firm makes more than the most senior government attorneys.

Pyrex

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Yes, I am sure the fact that 7 out of the 10 richest counties in the U.S. are in the D.C. metro area is just a coincidence.

DFW17L

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Yes, I am sure the fact that 7 out of the 10 richest counties in the U.S. are in the D.C. metro area is just a coincidence.

The wealth is from lobbyists and other high paid individuals. Same goes for wealth surrounding state capitals. Look at the number of five star hotels in Austin (they don’t stay at Motel 6).
Last edited by DFW17L on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polot

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Pyrex wrote:

LOL. That is all I can say- LOL. General rule of thumb is you go into government for the benefits, not salary. If you want to get paid more private sector is the way to go. As a former government contractor myself I can tell you most government workers do not have more paid vacation than equivalent private sector workers. As mentioned those wealthy people you see all in DC- yeah they are lobbyist (aka in the private sector).

Also just so you know there are thousands of workers who are working right now “minimizing” the impact of the shutdown, but they are not currently paid any money for it...

flymia

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Polot wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

LOL. That is all I can say- LOL. General rule of thumb is you go into government for the benefits, not salary. If you want to get paid more private sector is the way to go. As a former government contractor myself I can tell you most government workers do not have more paid vacation than equivalent private sector workers. As mentioned those wealthy people you see all in DC- yeah they are lobbyist (aka in the private sector).

Also just so you know there are thousands of workers who are working right now “minimizing” the impact of the shutdown, but they are not currently paid any money for it...

I agree with you on the salary. Government workers certainly are not poorly paid. But for example an attorney or engineer working for the government could likely make much more in the private sector. When you get to more entry level positions I would say salaries are usually a bit higher with the federal government though.

The benefits are fantastic though and make up for the lack in pay for many people. Awesome healthcare, pension, 401k, and amazing schedules. I don't know anyone in the private sector that gets the days off that my wife, who works for the federal government gets. It is insane the amount of time she gets off. Its great, I am happy she gets it, but she also could be making more money in the private sector. It is a give and take situation.

As for DCA. To be expected. Not only with the shutdown of government agencies, but also the shutdown of popular attractions. It is not just government employees flying in and out, but private sector employees that have various conference and meetings with government agencies that are no longer flying at this time.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Astronage

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Pyrex wrote:

I live there. The contractors are the ones raking in the cash, definitely not the fed. Federal pay is also public domain, you can lookup any federal employee and know exactly how much they make. The pay scale is also public. I don't understand where you and those other people that assume federal employees are being handsomely rewarded for their work is coming from. You get into federal work because you believe in the mission, job security and or the benefits. Salary? Definitely not.

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm

DCAfan wrote:
DCA is still dead as a doornail. The airlines must be taking a huge hit on business due to the government shutdown. I know the moderators of this site don't like to deal with bad news. But it is what it is.

Why would we not like to deal with bad news..? It makes no difference to me whether it's good or bad news if it's something people want to discuss.

The impact is certainly due to the loss of government fares, at least in part. This is also one of the slowest travel periods of the year in general.

DCAfan
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Atcsundevil,

I had a second post on January 7th that a moderater deleted. I don't know why it was, but it was.

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 pm

DCAfan wrote:
Atcsundevil,

I had a second post on January 7th that a moderater deleted. I don't know why it was, but it was.

Then contact us and ask, you'll always receive an answer. Email [email protected] next time, and someone will get back to you. Saying that we don't like bad news isn't accurate, nor does it give you an answer as to why something was removed. We don't do things just because we feel like it.

Please direct any further comments unrelated to this topic to the Site Related Forum.

Pyrex

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 pm

And who ultimately pays for the federal contractors (who are often just a way of getting around hiring restrictions)?

maps4ltd

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Government shutdown also means many visitor attractions are closed. The only major groups using it right now would be DC locals and businesspeople.
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Pyrex wrote:

Trust me, if all of the people currently working without pay were to suddenly stop working, you would notice it immediately. Airports, seaports, etc. would all close.

ScottB

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm

DFW17L wrote:
The wealth is from lobbyists and other high paid individuals. Same goes for wealth surrounding state capitals. Look at the number of five star hotels in Austin (they don’t stay at Motel 6).

I doubt the number of five-star hotels in Austin is tied to lobbying; the Texas Legislature only meets for 140 days every two years absent a special session. Arguably it's far more about business travel, conventions, and leisure travel to Austin. Boston has many luxury hotels and pretty much the entire state is within a two-hour drive. Think there are many luxury hotels in Tallahassee?

bkflyguy wrote:
For example, a 1st year associate at a major law firm makes more than the most senior government attorneys.

True, but associates at major law firms are going to be expected to put in a lot more hours, and if you don't have enough billable hours, you're out. That's not so true for government attorneys.

Aliqiout

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm

ScottB wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

True, but associates at major law firms are going to be expected to put in a lot more hours, and if you don't have enough billable hours, you're out. That's not so true for government attorneys.

Of course its not true for goverment attorneys. The goal of a private law firm is to make money off their clients. Billable hours are good for them. The goal of a government attorney should be the opposite. The fewer "billiable" hours the better.

WN732

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm

DFW17L wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

If that were truly the case, then one would find the same situation in Sacramento. There might be a few 5 star hotels but not many. That's got more to do with Austin's booming tech economy than anything else.

*edit* I just checked and there aren't any in Sacramento. The Westin which is 4 stars is the top hotel in Sacramento.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos