Jetter330
Topic Author

Eurowings in 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:31 pm

New destinations on the long haul side?
According to German media, both LH and EW confirm that EW might start long haul operations from FRA.
As both SunExpress and Brussels Airlines already operate 330 flights for EW, which of the 2 will it be from FRA?

cityshuttle

Re: Eurowings in 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:07 pm

According to the media article, LH / EW is currently only considering options for leisure long-haul destinations in case that DE (Condor / Thomas Cook) might cease operations ...

SCQ83

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
According to the media article, LH / EW is currently only considering options for leisure long-haul destinations in case that DE (Condor / Thomas Cook) might cease operations ...

Is Condor in trouble? :O I am flying them in a few weeks (short-haul).

PatrickZ80

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 pm

It would be hard to find long haul destinations for EuroWings out of Frankfurt that don't conflict with Lufthansa. For now EuroWings is the perfect airline for flights out of the non-Lufthansa hubs in Germany.

DUSZRH

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:39 pm

If you read the recent interviews with Dirks, the talk is of „holiday routes“, as such more conflicting with DE and not LH. And it would be most probably the XG aircraft, as they are without C.

cityshuttle

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Is Condor in trouble? :O I am flying them in a few weeks (short-haul).

No, don’t worry !

But Thomas Cook Group is not making money for years and they seriously need to start ordering new aircraft to replace the old 757 & 767 - but seem to keep delaying this decision over and over again.

There is rumor that TC Group MIGHT stop operating their own aircraft (at least long-haul).

Due to this LH Group is considering options for starting EW long-haul leisure destinations from FRA - those routes would more or less replace the current DE flights ... if one day DE would stop flying long-haul from FRA.

But there are also rumors that LH / EW are mentioning these considerations in public which may lead to an earlier end of DE (long-haul), especially since these offer routes like FRA-SEA and have onward connections - so they would basically eliminate a competitor.

upperdeckfan

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm

DE competes with LH in a few routes, if EW is to fill in for DE at FRA it only makes sense to serve non-LH routes.

As said by Patrick, I agree that the current model of EW long haul out of non-LH hubs makes good sense.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

stylo777

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Maybe it's very shortsighted of me, but I don't believe that Condor will give up their longhaul ops in FRA at all. Nevertheless, I also see much potential in EW entering FRA and taking over/opening new routes alongside LH and DE.
Routes with EW potential: CPT, WDH, MBA, ZNZ, SJC, TPA, LAS, PDX, YYC, CUN, Caribbean, SJO, GIG, MCT, MLE, SEZ, MRU, CMB, HKT, DPS

axiom

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Edit: Duplicate post.
Last edited by axiom on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axiom

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:43 pm

I don’t see EW taking over TPA, which has seen relatively strong premium demand, and is flown up to 6w. Not really a DE route.

Jetter330
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:35 am

I read that US routes would be a possibility too.

Jetter330
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 am

Jetter330 wrote:
I read that US routes would be a possibility too.

https://www.frankfurtflyer.de/eurowings ... t-starten/

santi319

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 am

axiom wrote:
I don’t see EW taking over TPA, which has seen relatively strong premium demand, and is flown up to 6w. Not really a DE route.

It literally mentions TPA..

FLYKTPA

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:23 am

It also mentions MCO and no way they would take that over imo.

I think they will be used to open new leisure destinations from FRA for the LH group like RSW and LAS.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

Noshow

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am

If you look at Eurowings daily ops they seem to have a history of bad delays and subpar customer service with long waits for compensation. I hope they sort their stuff first before they expand. It's almost like the brand got damaged already. Nobody would pick them over LH if he does not have to.

Jetter330
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 pm

If you look at it more closely, most of these huge delays and cancellations are on the flights operated by SunExpress. American travellers like a business class so my 2 cents go to SN to operate these flights then.

Noshow

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Those delays are flights troughout their network. I think they were expanded too fast and don't have enough gate space and staff at many places. I actually avoid them for the time being.

axiom

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm

santi319 wrote:
axiom wrote:

It literally mentions TPA..

It’s a blog. The author pulled these design rations from the initial Jump list, and added MCO for good measure. Nowhere in the article upon which this was based are existing LH long haul destinations from FRA mentioned.

TPA/MCO are regularly mischaracterized as stricly sun destinations with one way (inbound) travel demand. In reality, they anchor a fast-growing region with 8 million residents and a diversified economy, with significant wealth and demand.

Eurowings may be enough for LH in Central Florida. And with the right network access and improvements to their reliability, a good enough alternative to DL on MCO/TPA-AMS. But right now, and over the last several years, LH has decided to make their Central Florida product offering more premium, not less. LH has more than doubled the number of weekly J seats in TPA, for example. Time will tell, but I stand by my point. TPA =\= CUN.

3BNBE

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:20 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Maybe it's very shortsighted of me, but I don't believe that Condor will give up their longhaul ops in FRA at all. Nevertheless, I also see much potential in EW entering FRA and taking over/opening new routes alongside LH and DE.
Routes with EW potential: CPT, WDH, MBA, ZNZ, SJC, TPA, LAS, PDX, YYC, CUN, Caribbean, SJO, GIG, MCT, MLE, SEZ, MRU, CMB, HKT, DPS

MRU has not been a really successful route for EW. It started with a weekly flight from CGN before increasing to 2 weekly flights. Then when the CGN long-haul hub was closed, it started flights from MUC, 2 weekly initially but down to only a weekly flight during the peak season(Northern Winter). DUS flights are operated only once each 2 weeks(bi-weekly) to MRU, though other carriers(LH group and from Germany) are doing well in Mauritius:
-Lufthansa extended flights up to end of April, with 3 flights a week(last Winter season MRU had only 2 and an additional bi-weekly flight by LH which ended during the first days of April)
-Austrian Airlines will operate 3 weekly flights up to early March, with 2 weekly flights continuing till end of April(last year only 2 weekly flights till end of March, with 3rd weekly flight being operated only from mid-December to mid-January)
-Edelweiss to operate Mauritius all year long from ZRH
-Condor will operate 5 weekly flights, instead of 4, through the entire season with occassional 6th weekly flight.

Aquila3

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Noshow wrote:
If you look at Eurowings daily ops they seem to have a history of bad delays and subpar customer service with long waits for compensation. I hope they sort their stuff first before they expand. It's almost like the brand got damaged already. Nobody would pick them over LH if he does not have to.

Agree, I think EW is the worst of the worst you can get in EU nowadays.
FR service but LH price. Unfortunately when you get a LH ticket to secondary cities, sometimes you get a leg with EW. Long interminable queues at the check in, flights always late an hour or more, lost or long delayed luggage. But anything like a flight change fee will cost you some hundreds like with LH. I am not surprised they would not honor EU compensation rules, it fits in their role.
I am a LH frequent flyer and ALL the troubles I had this year (including other airlines not Star) were invariably with EW. Just to compare, Vueling / Level were much better.
Unfortunately the monopolist position of LH is so strong in central EU that rarely there is something you can do against. I just hope the LCC competition expands everywhere like it is doing in VIE, so at least the we will have a little more choice.
Shame on you , LH.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

Blerg

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

So what is the underlying cause for this mess in EW? Did they expand way too fast?

stylo777

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Aquila3 wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Agree, I think EW is the worst of the worst you can get in EU nowadays.
FR service but LH price. Unfortunately when you get a LH ticket to secondary cities, sometimes you get a leg with EW. Long interminable queues at the check in, flights always late an hour or more, lost or long delayed luggage. But anything like a flight change fee will cost you some hundreds like with LH. I am not surprised they would not honor EU compensation rules, it fits in their role.
I am a LH frequent flyer and ALL the troubles I had this year (including other airlines not Star) were invariably with EW. Just to compare, Vueling / Level were much better.
Unfortunately the monopolist position of LH is so strong in central EU that rarely there is something you can do against. I just hope the LCC competition expands everywhere like it is doing in VIE, so at least the we will have a little more choice.
Shame on you , LH.

I'm NOT in a position to defend EW here, but your statement seems to me as focusing on the most negativeness parts of your journey and generalizing it for their overall operation.
in contrary to your experience, I completed 23 legs with EW in 2018 throughout Europe and from/to different airports. maybe lucky me, but I haven't experienced "always late an hour or more" or "lost or long delayed luggage" as you did. yes, there were delays (mostly driven by French ATC strikes), but NOT always and definitely less than an hour. ohh, and EW didn't lose my bags; how many times did this happen to you if I may ask?
in comparison, FR cancelled one of my legs due to cockpit strike in Summer, had to reroute myself via BRU (instead of HHN) to RAK with AirArabia and I'm still waiting for my refund. in fact, they just responded with the claim of paying nothing at all. go figure...

yes, 2018 was a challenging year for EW, but so it were for all the other players. compensating the bankruptcy of AB and filling the slots with many negative external influencing factors was an extremely toxic-cocktail for proper operations (as mentioned strikes, capacity constraints, weather issues, staff shortages).

DUSZRH

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm

They tried to replace as much capacity as possible of AB. Their schedule last year, especially summer, was only flyable when nothing went wrong, which lead to cancellation rates tripling. It was a strategic decision to hobble up as many slots as possible. This year should be better, as they are adding 15-20 aircraft without expanding much.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos