NeBaNi
Topic Author

LAX Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Hello A-netters,

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), since there's a few of us who live close by and it's a big enough airport to get the latest and the best from airlines around the world. /understatment :mrgreen:

I'm hoping the thread will kick off just based on just the sheer amount of activity that happens at LAX. But still, a couple of recent news items to start the conversation:
Wow Air ends service to LAX effective Jan 23rd. It was always a pleasure to spot the shiny purple A330 (and on occasion the A321), shame we won't be seeing it any longer
https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2018/12/20/wow-air-to-end-lax-reykjavik-route.html

Two new routes commenced towards the end of December: American with nonstop service to Buenos Aires (EZE), Argentina 3x weekly on a Boeing 787-9 from Dec 19th and Hainan between LAX and Xi'an (XIY), China 2x weekly on a 787-8 from Dec 31st.
http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2018/dec/17/two-airlines-announce-new-nonstop-international-se/

In terms of new aircraft at LAX, we can expect to see at the very least, UA with 787-10 and AA with A321neo. New airlines include Finnair 3x weekly HEL-LAX on an A350-900 starting in March and Air Italy 4x weekly MXP-LAX on an A330-200 starting in April. These are, of course, by no means an exhaustive list of new airlines and aircraft.

Here's to a happy 2019 at LAX! :champagne:

winginit

Re: LAX Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Good idea for a thread.

I think what we might also find crops up as highly relevant, impactful, and thus worth discussing here is the impacts of construction essentially across the airport that will kick off in a big way this year.

They’re just rumors, but I’m hearing there’s talk of clearing out the Park n’ Fly East of T1 in the near future to designate a ride share lot of some sort to aid in alleviating the horseshoe congestion that will continue to get worse once Delta knocks out the left-most horseshoe lane in front of Terminals 2 and 3 to continue construction on their new head house.

FlyThiz

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:11 pm

winginit wrote:
Good idea for a thread.

I think what we might also find crops up as highly relevant, impactful, and thus worth discussing here is the impacts of construction essentially across the airport that will kick off in a big way this year.

They’re just rumors, but I’m hearing there’s talk of clearing out the Park n’ Fly East of T1 in the near future to designate a ride share lot of some sort to aid in alleviating the horseshoe congestion that will continue to get worse once Delta knocks out the left-most horseshoe lane in front of Terminals 2 and 3 to continue construction on their new head house.

As a Lyft driver, the Park n Fly lot would make sense. It close to the terminals and us ride-share drivers along with buses and other drivers, takes a long time to get to the terminals during peak time. LAX is a mess. Picking up people on departures level doesn’t work nor would on arrivals, if It came to that.
After several decades, they’re finally bringing public transport to the airport. Since LAX is #1 in O/D traffic, they need to figure out the horse-shoe better. Perhaps a third level for vehicles like taxis, busses and ride-share. While sitting in the endless traffic of LAX, I’m always thinking of better ways they could fix it. As for the Encounter building, the restaurant is closed and is rarely used for anything else. It has gone under recent renovations at the cost of millions and yet it is sitting empty. LA City said there is no plans in future to do anything with the building.

UAEflyer

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Is there any future plans to expand LAX ? Or anything under construction at the moment ? I heard there is a VIP/celebrity terminal? Is it true..

carljanderson

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:50 pm

Can someone fill me in on the status of the Studies that have been mentioned in the last LAWA BOAC meeting? I had no idea the following studies were budgeted -

-Terminal 9 Initial Planning (NASIP)
-Terminal 1 East Initial Planning (NASIP)
-TBIT Optimization Program Initial Planning
-T2 FIS Modernization Initial Planning

These (and others) were on the last slide of the LAWA Capital Improvement Plan presentation (linked below).
https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=36150

hawaiian717

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm

FlyThiz wrote:
After several decades, they’re finally bringing public transport to the airport. Since LAX is #1 in O/D traffic, they need to figure out the horse-shoe better. Perhaps a third level for vehicles like taxis, busses and ride-share.

The automated people mover will move a lot of this out of the horseshoe. There will be connections to an "intermodal transportation facility" which will include parking and passenger pick up and drop off options, a consolidated rental car facility, and the new 96th St/Aviation Blvd metro stops. The rental car facility will remove the rental car shuttle busses from the horseshoe. I'm not sure but I imagine that hotel shuttles, taxis, and ride-share could be delegated to the ITF.

ldvaviation

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:56 pm

carljanderson wrote:
Can someone fill me in on the status of the Studies that have been mentioned in the last LAWA BOAC meeting? I had no idea the following studies were budgeted -

-Terminal 9 Initial Planning (NASIP)
-Terminal 1 East Initial Planning (NASIP)
-TBIT Optimization Program Initial Planning
-T2 FIS Modernization Initial Planning

These (and others) were on the last slide of the LAWA Capital Improvement Plan presentation (linked below).
https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=36150

Conceptual studies. Not even close to the public scoping phase.

I doubt the work moves beyond that before 2028. In that presentation, LAWA reveals that they only have $1.8B left to spend before 2028.

TC957

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:14 pm

May I ask a question about LAX that one of my clients raised please ?
I have passengers arriving on UA from LHR into T7 and departing from the TBIT on NZ, all business class, and going back that way. Is there such a thing as a meet & greet transfer service where premium class passengers are taken by a golf buggy between terminals ? Passengers are elderly, although have over 3 1/2 hrs between flights both ways.
Many thanks for any advise.

bzcat

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Here are all the confirmed construction projects under construction or about to start construction:

T1.5 connector between T1 and T2 which will include landside and airside connection and office space
T2/T3 modernization/partial tear down and rebuild
T3-TBIT connector
TBIT MSC North
T4/T5 moderization/partial tear down and rebuild which will include landside and airside connection and access to APM station
APM station core - check in facilities and 3 APM stations in CTA: west station for TBIT and T4/5, center station for T2/3 and T6, and east station for T1 and T7/8
APM tracks and elevated structures
Intermodal transit center west on 96th street - APM station, parking, shuttle pick up and drop off zone
Intermodal transit center east at Aviation/98th street - APM station, Metro station, city bus center, private vehicle pick up and drop off zone
Consolidated rental car center - APM station, rental car garage

jplatts

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 pm

WN actually has room at LAX to add more flights out of LAX with the completion of Terminal 1 renovations at LAX. There are some additional nonstop routes such as LAX-CLE, LAX-CMH, LAX-HNL, LAX-OGG, LAX-MCO, LAX-RDU, LAX-SEA, and LAX-IAD that could be added by WN at LAX.

LAX can likely support nonstop service to SEA on WN with VX no longer around and with NK no longer serving SEA nonstop from LAX. There is also a lot of O&D demand on the LAX-SEA route, and there are likely some passengers already connecting to SEA from LAX through LAS, OAK, SMF, or SJC on WN.

I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added LAX-IAD, OAK-IAD, and SJC-IAD nonstop service when WN has been expanding in California in order to better compete against AS. AS already serves IAD nonstop from LAX and SFO, and WN adding LAX-IAD, OAK-IAD, and SJC-IAD nonstop service would allow WN to better compete against AS in California.

hawaiian717

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
I heard there is a VIP/celebrity terminal? Is it true..

Yes, it's called The Private Suite.

https://theprivatesuite.com/the-experience/

SurfandSnow

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Wow Air ends service to LAX effective Jan 23rd. It was always a pleasure to spot the shiny purple A330 (and on occasion the A321), shame we won't be seeing it any longer

It's a shame we won't be enjoying those too good to be true transatlantic deals any longer! Will be interesting to see if FI (Icelandair) moves to fill the void.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:01 pm

bzcat wrote:
Here are all the confirmed construction projects under construction or about to start construction:

T1.5 connector between T1 and T2 which will include landside and airside connection and office space
T2/T3 modernization/partial tear down and rebuild
T3-TBIT connector
TBIT MSC North
T4/T5 moderization/partial tear down and rebuild which will include landside and airside connection and access to APM station
APM station core - check in facilities and 3 APM stations in CTA: west station for TBIT and T4/5, center station for T2/3 and T6, and east station for T1 and T7/8
APM tracks and elevated structures
Intermodal transit center west on 96th street - APM station, parking, shuttle pick up and drop off zone
Intermodal transit center east at Aviation/98th street - APM station, Metro station, city bus center, private vehicle pick up and drop off zone
Consolidated rental car center - APM station, rental car garage

Thanks for the summary! Good to see all this info in one place. The following links also have some details/updates:
https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/landside-access-modernization-program-lax
https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/tenants411/guest-experience/files/lax-modernization-projects-update-june-2018.ashx?la=en&hash=AD3FEA51BDB8CEC3FA0241EC2FDF3EFEC1E4DB67

The following has a collection of monthly updates on all the projects and improvements going on at LAX, not just the Terminal modernizations:
https://www.lawa.org/en/projects-and-reports/lax-program-status-report

jplatts wrote:
WN actually has room at LAX to add more flights out of LAX with the completion of Terminal 1 renovations at LAX. There are some additional nonstop routes such as LAX-CLE, LAX-CMH, LAX-HNL, LAX-OGG, LAX-MCO, LAX-RDU, LAX-SEA, and LAX-IAD that could be added by WN at LAX.

LAX can likely support nonstop service to SEA on WN with VX no longer around and with NK no longer serving SEA nonstop from LAX. There is also a lot of O&D demand on the LAX-SEA route, and there are likely some passengers already connecting to SEA from LAX through LAS, OAK, SMF, or SJC on WN.

I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added LAX-IAD, OAK-IAD, and SJC-IAD nonstop service when WN has been expanding in California in order to better compete against AS. AS already serves IAD nonstop from LAX and SFO, and WN adding LAX-IAD, OAK-IAD, and SJC-IAD nonstop service would allow WN to better compete against AS in California.

WN does fly LAX-BWI though, so it must cater to the DC area passengers through BWI at least from LAX.

highflier92660

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

As a frequent Delta passenger I see exciting artist depictions of what the Terminal 2 and 3 rebuild will look like in the coming years. But judging from the recent holiday traffic around the LAX horseshoe this past Christmas and New Years, how can a plan for a people mover and a new Metro Line station possibly solve an outdated airport design from the late-fifties-- updated in 1984 with the double deck?
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... -pictures/

jplatts

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
jplatts wrote:

WN does fly LAX-BWI though, so it must cater to the DC area passengers through BWI at least from LAX.

While I agree that LAX-BWI is a viable option for those traveling to Washington, DC from Greater Los Angeles, IAD is almost 60 miles west of BWI. LAX is also a beyond-perimeter restriction that cannot be served nonstop from DCA without a beyond-perimeter slot exemption.

mcogator

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 pm

winginit wrote:
Good idea for a thread.

I heard the same rumor. There will be a rideshare shuttle service to the Park n'Fly and all pickups and drop offs will be relegated to there. Not sure how convenient that will be for pax with multiple luggage pieces, but I guess they do the same when dropping off their rental cars or parking off property at hotels and lots.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

winginit

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

mcogator wrote:
winginit wrote:
Good idea for a thread.

I heard the same rumor. There will be a rideshare shuttle service to the Park n'Fly and all pickups and drop offs will be relegated to there. Not sure how convenient that will be for pax with multiple luggage pieces, but I guess they do the same when dropping off their rental cars or parking off property at hotels and lots.

My hope is that such a relocation would make more passengers realize how walkable the airport is between terminals even if you have to go across the horseshoe on the lower level.

For example, the walk between say T7 and the Park N Ride is comparable to the walk necessary to get to ride share pickup at other airports.

ldvaviation

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
As a frequent Delta passenger I see exciting artist depictions of what the Terminal 2 and 3 rebuild will look like in the coming years. But judging from the recent holiday traffic around the LAX horseshoe this past Christmas and New Years, how can a plan for a people mover and a new Metro Line station possibly solve an outdated airport design from the late-fifties-- updated in 1984 with the double deck?

Too late to change course.

jplatts

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 pm

While AA, DL, and UA all have hubs at LAX, AA is the dominant carrier at LAX, and there are still some more domestic nonstop routes such as LAX-CVG, LAX-CLE, LAX-DTW, LAX-MEM, and LAX-MKE that could be added by AA at LAX.

bzcat

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm

highflier92660 wrote:

Once the APM is working, the shuttle buses will be banned from entering CTA horseshoe so in theory, it should remove about 50% of the traffic. Additionally, I believe the plan is to eventually have rideshare pick up and drop off only at one of the two transit centers outside the airport where very large drop off zones are planned.

So it's likely that traffic volume can be better managed, at least in the short term after APM opens. In the long term, congestion in the horseshoe is a fact of life... removing shuttle bus just opens up more real estate for private cars so it will reach a new equilibrium soon. If you think things are bad now just imagine tons of empty autonomous driving cars circling the horseshoe endlessly because their owner refuse to pay for parking. Frankly, the only way to ensure traffic is always free flowing in the horseshoe is congestion pricing. And US politicians in general are deathly afraid of implementing this tried and proven tool to manage traffic volume.

But what the APM will do is to provide options... you don't have to go into the horseshoe if there are two APM stations outside the airport with easy access. You can still drive inside the horseshoe if you don't value your time or sanity.

winginit

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 am

bzcat wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:

Once the APM is working, the shuttle buses will be banned from entering CTA horseshoe so in theory, it should remove about 50% of the traffic. Additionally, I believe the plan is to eventually have rideshare pick up and drop off only at one of the two transit centers outside the airport where very large drop off zones are planned.

So it's likely that traffic volume can be better managed, at least in the short term after APM opens. In the long term, congestion in the horseshoe is a fact of life... removing shuttle bus just opens up more real estate for private cars so it will reach a new equilibrium soon. If you think things are bad now just imagine tons of empty autonomous driving cars circling the horseshoe endlessly because their owner refuse to pay for parking. Frankly, the only way to ensure traffic is always free flowing in the horseshoe is congestion pricing. And US politicians in general are deathly afraid of implementing this tried and proven tool to manage traffic volume.

But what the APM will do is to provide options... you don't have to go into the horseshoe if there are two APM stations outside the airport with easy access. You can still drive inside the horseshoe if you don't value your time or sanity.

Fair points across the board, but what I'm really worried about is what the horseshoe, Century, and Sepulveda will look like prior to the APM opening up.

You'll have the far right lane within the horseshoe taken out for DL's new headhouse in front of both T2 and T3, you'll have Century lanes shut down periodically to put in the APM track, and you'll have two lots that are currently used as essentially waiting areas for taxis turned into active construction zones thus displacing all of those taxis. Sounds like the perfect recipe for an absolute nightmarish couple of years.

JHwk

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 am

winginit wrote:
Fair points across the board, but what I'm really worried about is what the horseshoe, Century, and Sepulveda will look like prior to the APM opening up.

You'll have the far right lane within the horseshoe taken out for DL's new headhouse in front of both T2 and T3, you'll have Century lanes shut down periodically to put in the APM track, and you'll have two lots that are currently used as essentially waiting areas for taxis turned into active construction zones thus displacing all of those taxis. Sounds like the perfect recipe for an absolute nightmarish couple of years.

The interim is going to be bad. Shifting ride-share to Park'n'fly with shuttles in the horseshoe is a good stopgap, but you are really stuck with congestion charging to enforce it. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to fix Sepulveda or Century traffic.

Longer term, I'm still not 100% convinced the APM+Metro will make a dent outside of the PTA. I think you will add a lot of congestion to Aviation and La Cienega in addition to Century.

What would make more sense IMO is to not only move ride-share to Park'n'Fly, but also the city busses, so there is no "disadvantage" to riding the bus to the airport. LA has a heck of a lot more buses than Metro lines.

klkla

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 am

jplatts wrote:
While AA, DL, and UA all have hubs at LAX, AA is the dominant carrier at LAX, and there are still some more domestic nonstop routes such as LAX-CVG, LAX-CLE, LAX-DTW, LAX-MEM, and LAX-MKE that could be added by AA at LAX.

AA might be the largest carrier at LAX but hardly 'dominant'.

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 am

bzcat wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:
Frankly, the only way to ensure traffic is always free flowing in the horseshoe is congestion pricing. And US politicians in general are deathly afraid of implementing this tried and proven tool to manage traffic volume.

Metro has already floated the idea to pay for all the 2028 transit projects.

It would be a more politically-feasible idea at LAX because LAX does not partake of any local (LA City) or County tax revenue.

mcogator

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

klkla wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Yes, 21% of total ops compared to 16% for DL and UA each, and 13% for WN. That is not dominance.

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/s ... 7128157964
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

winginit

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 pm

mcogator wrote:
klkla wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Yes, 21% of total ops compared to 16% for DL and UA each, and 13% for WN. That is not dominance.

I’m trying to think of an airport that has a comparatively competitive capacity split between the US3+WN and am coming up empty. Part of what makes LAX so exciting to be sure.

mcogator

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:23 pm

winginit wrote:
mcogator wrote:
klkla wrote:

I’m trying to think of an airport that has a comparatively competitive capacity split between the US3+WN and am coming up empty. Part of what makes LAX so exciting to be sure.

My original home airport, MCO is pretty competitive outside of WN.

Southwest Airlines Co 477,890 485,128 963,018 23.78%
Delta Air Lines 255,612 257,261 512,873 12.66%
JetBlue Airways Corp. 253,430 254,652 508,082 12.55%
Spirit Airlines 215,871 218,310 434,181 10.72%
American Airlines Inc 213,311 213,264 426,575 10.53%
Frontier Airlines 178,532 182,535 361,067 8.92%
United Airlines Inc 163,660 165,585 329,245 8.13%

mcogator

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:24 pm

mcogator wrote:
winginit wrote:
mcogator wrote:

My original home airport, MCO, is pretty competitive outside of WN. November 2018 stats.

Last edited by mcogator on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcogator

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:24 pm

mcogator wrote:
mcogator wrote:
winginit wrote:

My original home airport, MCO, is pretty competitive outside of WN. November 2018 stats.

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:
I heard there is a VIP/celebrity terminal? Is it true..

Yes, it's called The Private Suite.

https://theprivatesuite.com/the-experience/

A couple more pictures here as well:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/usa-canada/inside-laxs-ridiculously-swanky-private-13839226

In other news, United is opening its new Polaris lounge at LAX this Saturday. The pics in the article below look great!
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2019/01/10/united-airlines-opening-los-angeles-polaris-lounge.html

tcaeyx

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Not sure what his sources are, but it appears that Garuda's plan to resume LAX is back on the table.

https://www.get.com/news/garuda-indonesia-planning-one-stop-service-between-jakarta-and-lax/

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:58 pm

tcaeyx wrote:
Not sure what his sources are, but it appears that Garuda's plan to resume LAX is back on the table.

https://www.get.com/news/garuda-indonesia-planning-one-stop-service-between-jakarta-and-lax/

I hope this works out. Always nice to see a new livery at LAX!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, American Airlines (AA) is replacing its 787-9 on LAX-HND with a 777-300ER, offering First Class on the route.
https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/01/08/first-class-is-coming-to-american-airlines-los-angeles-tokyo-service/

Sun Country (SY) is adding a 4x weekly nonstop between LAX and Nashville (BNA) starting in April.
https://fox17.com/news/local/nashville- ... ode-island
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I flew jetBlue LAX-JFK-LAX in economy for a weekend trip recently and was impressed with the service. For the outbound (redeye) flight, I was given a snooze kit consisting of eyeshades and earplugs. On the (daytime) return flight, the crew did two drinks and snacks runs, in addition to the self-service mid-cabin setup on the A321. Close to landing, they passed through the cabin with "hot towels" - actually heated moist towelettes. I hadn't seen this before on a transcon flight in economy before - impressive! The FA also remembered the drink orders of my entire row. Kudos to jetBlue for this amazing service!

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 pm

This article gives an insight into how the shutdown is affecting TSA agents at LAX. Apparently, some are calling in sick so they can earn money through other jobs like driving for Uber/Lyft. According to a TSA agent in Terminal 2 (Delta), they haven't felt a major impact there, but she is unsure of what the situation is at other airports.
https://laist.com/2019/01/16/what_its_like_for_the_unpaid_tsa_agents_still_working_at_lax.php

There was a gathering of TSA officers today at 1pm local time to discuss the impacts of the shutdown.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/TSA-Officers-to-Gather-at-LAX-to-Discuss-Safety-Impacts-of-Government-Shutdown-504420581.html

Chemist

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 pm

winginit wrote:
mcogator wrote:
winginit wrote:
Good idea for a thread.

My hope is that such a relocation would make more passengers realize how walkable the airport is between terminals even if you have to go across the horseshoe on the lower level.

For example, the walk between say T7 and the Park N Ride is comparable to the walk necessary to get to ride share pickup at other airports.

I would miss the ParkNFly. For any LAX trip under a week, I park there and just walk to whichever terminal I need. The exercise is good before/after a long flight.

bzcat

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 am

winginit wrote:
mcogator wrote:
klkla wrote:

It makes LAX a spotters paradise for sure. The sheer variety of livery and types plus the nice weather all the time (this week not withstanding)

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:08 pm

*Bump*

Ethiopian cancels its Lome - LAX route in February, shifting it to Houston IAH instead.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4127682
---------------------------------------------------------------------

A roundup on some of the other LAX news this week:
Los Angeles International Airport was ranked fifth in the world and third in the United States for on-time flight performance among mega airports with more than 30 million departing scheduled seats in 2018 ....
LAX's on-time flight performance was 79.95 percent last year, according to OAG...
:
In 2018, LAX was ranked 11th in the Punctuality League with an on-time flight performance of 74.66 percent among mega airports, based on flight data analyzed during 2017.

From: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/LAX-Punctual-Flights-On-Time-rank-504719052.html
I did a little digging to see which airports made the top 5, and they are: HND, ATL, SIN, DEN, LAX. The OAG defines a mega airport as one having 30+ million departing seats per annum.

A dog escaped while being loaded onto an international flight and led police officers on a chase around the tarmac. They caught her half an hour later.
https://www.timesunion.com/travel/resources/airports/article/dog-escape-tarmac-lax-cashmere-animals-airport-13542961.php

And finally, here's a link to Delta's video and webpage on how its terminals at LAX will look when the rennovations are done. I must say the mockups look pretty sweet with all the A350 renderings! I've also noticed A350 renderings in the walkway between T2 and T3 right now.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/where-we-fly/destinations/featured-locations/lax-new-terminal.html

atcdan

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 am

American is "dominant" in only one thing at LAX, landing with an occupied gate!
Tower Controller
VNY, DFW, LAX
All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way!

compensateme

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:

Too late to change course.

I’m not exactly sure what modern design could efficiently handle the ground traffic at LAX, given the volume of traffic (most o/d, and outside of NYC, Americans reject public transportion).

Even if LAX were a clean sheet design, segregating various ground options - ride share, passenger pick-up/drop-off, parking, etc. offsite and connecting them to the complex with a series of busses or trans would be the best idea anyway.

Too bad LAX didn’t attempt their task a decade ago, when land acquisition was a fraction of the cost.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

iadadd

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:35 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
*Bump*

Ethiopian cancels its Lome - LAX route in February, shifting it to Houston IAH instead.

This is unsurprising. LAX-LFW-ADD was the dumbest decision ever, and I had stated that when the routing was first announced just 3 months ago. The funniest aspect of this "direct" routing was that connecting in FRA or IST when flying LAX-ADD was indeed SHORTER and QUICKER than flying "direct" via Lome. Furthermore, LAX lacks a market to West Africa so the route essentially had no business rationale whatsoever.

Sad to see ET leave LA, a market where it could've had potential if done correctly

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 pm

iadadd wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:
*Bump*

This is unsurprising. LAX-LFW-ADD was the dumbest decision ever, and I had stated that when the routing was first announced just 3 months ago. The funniest aspect of this "direct" routing was that connecting in FRA or IST when flying LAX-ADD was indeed SHORTER and QUICKER than flying "direct" via Lome. Furthermore, LAX lacks a market to West Africa so the route essentially had no business rationale whatsoever.

Sad to see ET leave LA, a market where it could've had potential if done correctly

Yeah, I suppose ET had a niche on DUB-LAX before EI joined the fray. But with all the LAX nonstops to Europe, I don't see how they could find a city that already doesn't have a nonstop to LAX, and has significant demand. I'd say HEL-LAX, but AY is starting that route this spring. Maybe BRU-LAX so they can leverage the Star Alliance connections from SN? Or DUS-LAX to replace the Airberlin one, while also getting connections from Eurowings? I'm not sure they'd take another swing at LAX anytime soon though.

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:16 pm

atcdan wrote:
American is "dominant" in only one thing at LAX, landing with an occupied gate!

Agreed, and I'm also particularly irked to have to fly from the "Eagle's Nest" remote terminal for the CRJ/ E-Jets, to the point that I've stopped booking AA on regional flights, even if they are ~$50 cheaper. It a huge waste of time to go back and forth from that terminal.

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 am

bzcat wrote:
It makes LAX a spotters paradise for sure. The sheer variety of livery and types plus the nice weather all the time (this week not withstanding)

The irony is, for locals... rain/windy weather actually makes the spotting more interesting, as it's about the only time we see reverse-flow, which is exciting to us.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

carljanderson

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 pm

So i saw the agenda for the LAWA BoAC meeting on 21 March.. Are the negotiations with United, Southwest, and Alaska all normal lease renewals?or are they T0, T9 related? What is Alaska looking for?

B747forever

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 pm

iadadd wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:
*Bump*

Was spotting earlier today at LAX, and I can swear that I saw an ET airplane parked in the cargo area when driving home on the 105E. Anyone know what it is doing here? BTW amazing day to just be outside and spot. Still quite clear before the summer haze, and FINALLY some warm weather.
Work Hard, Fly Right

The777Man

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:07 am

B747forever wrote:
iadadd wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:
*Bump*

Was spotting earlier today at LAX, and I can swear that I saw an ET airplane parked in the cargo area when driving home on the 105E. Anyone know what it is doing here? BTW amazing day to just be outside and spot. Still quite clear before the summer haze, and FINALLY some warm weather.

ET has a weekly 77F flight that arrives around 2am from MEX and then sits for about 15h before it leaves for LGG.

Yes amazing weather today and too bad I was at work...

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

compensateme

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:38 pm

A couple interesting article's in todays Times:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-la ... story.html
Lot C is permanently closing next month (it'll be converted to employee parking/right of way for the people-mover) and will replaced by Lot E. E will be a longer ride to the terminals, but it's much larger (2700 spaces vs. 800), it's the same price and it's next to Proud Bird.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-su ... story.html
LAX is experiencing its own Super Bloom right now, on land between the runways. The flowers aren't native to the area, and how they got there is a mystery, with the airport denying planting them but experts insisting somebody must've.

gmcc

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 pm

carljanderson wrote:
So i saw the agenda for the LAWA BoAC meeting on 21 March.. Are the negotiations with United, Southwest, and Alaska all normal lease renewals?or are they T0, T9 related? What is Alaska looking for?

There was mention in an AS investor update of negotiations with LAWA for $200 million expansion at LAX. It appeared to be mostly related to expanding the AS lounge, which probably won't happen before they can work out a way to move the AC maple leaf lounge somewhere, and improved security screening at T6. They signed a 10 year lease when they move to T6 which I believe maybe coming due in 2021/22 so a renewal might be in the works as well.

Also of note on lawa website is the new terminal cores site.

http://www.laxterminalcores.com

which states under the bid opportunity section

"T5.5 Core shall also include a new secure connector between Terminals 5 and 6,"

Assuming this would be above ground, there might be some new space in the old tunnels that AS could be used for office etc.

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:25 pm

compensateme wrote:
A couple interesting article's in todays Times:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-la ... story.html
Lot C is permanently closing next month (it'll be converted to employee parking/right of way for the people-mover) and will replaced by Lot E. E will be a longer ride to the terminals, but it's much larger (2700 spaces vs. 800), it's the same price and it's next to Proud Bird.

Thanks for these updates! The article doesn't say, but I wonder what will happen to the Lot C shuttle till the people mover opens. The Lot C shuttle also caters to the passengers using the City Bus Center currently.

compensateme wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-su ... story.html
LAX is experiencing its own Super Bloom right now, on land between the runways. The flowers aren't native to the area, and how they got there is a mystery, with the airport denying planting them but experts insisting somebody must've.

That's pretty interesting. I'd be inclined to think they came from birds. It was pretty sweet to see the yellows when I landed there the other day though - a nice change from the green/brown.

B747forever

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 pm

The777Man wrote:
B747forever wrote:
iadadd wrote:

ET has a weekly 77F flight that arrives around 2am from MEX and then sits for about 15h before it leaves for LGG.

Yes amazing weather today and too bad I was at work...

The777Man

Thanks! Looking at FlightAware it is flight ET 3518. Is there a website that lists all cargo ops at LAX? Might be other interesting flights I don't know about.
Work Hard, Fly Right

compensateme

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 pm

According to the Times (yes, the article is three-weeks-old, but I missed it until tossing out some old papers, and didn’t see it posted here), LAX collected over $44M in fees from Uber and Lyft last year. The airport thought it would cut into parking and rental car revenue, but the former continues to grow whereas the latter dropped only slightly.

www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-airport- ... story.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos