Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PW100
Topic Author

Unusual Delays: Why Was Your Flight Delayed?

Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:25 am

There are off course tons of reasons why flights are being delayed. My most remarkable experience was on a Martinair [MP] flight MIA-AMS a couple of years ago.

Check in was no problem and went smoothly, even with our oversized and overweight luggage. Boarding was uneventful and push back was as advertised, right on-time. However as we taxied from the gate towards runway 27R, I noticed a long line of shiny AA's waiting in front of us. So the captain came on the PA and announced a 20 minute delay because we were nr.9 in sequence for take-off.
After about twenty minutes we were in the nr.1 spot, waiting for an aircraft landing at 27R. As soon as he passed, we taxied onto the runway. But instead of accelerating, we kept on taxiing on the runway, only to leave the runway at the next exit to the right! We parked there for about 5 minutes when the captain announced a small delay due to "unfavourable winds".
After another 15 minutes we started to taxi again, heading west, north of 27R along 27R. We then crossed 27R and proceed to the opposite end of the runway: 9L. While we waited at the 9L hold pad for another twenty minutes or so, the captain finally explained what was going on: the tailwind component on 27R was too large for our take off considering our weight status. Our 767 was sold almost to the last seat, and we had quite some fuel to cross the ocean.
The captain had been in contact with their AMS ops for detailed runway calculations, but we just couldn't make it on this hot sunny day. We finally took off from 9L, over an hour late. Most likely we screwed up the complete ATC pattern, since lots of aircraft were still waiting for take-off at 27R...

Did you have similar experiences, or any other unusual flight delays?

PW100

teahan

RE: Unusual Delays: Why Was Your Flight Delayed?

Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:36 am

Hello,

Well my most unusual one was last summer. Arrived in Hong Kong airport for Swissair to Zurich. It was the day before a major typhoon. Since it was still hours away, we thought out flight would operate.

Nope, we were wrong. Given a dinner voucher for the airport and bussed to a hotel (one quite far from Hong Kong centre, along some river), woke up the next morning and still no sign of it. Breakfeast and then bussed to the airport, flight left at 14:00, 4 hours before the typhoon hit and had a beutiful flight to ZRH. A day flight over the Himalayas etc.

Funny thing is that it was the 1 time I was flying with a reserved ticket. If it was a standby ticket (like pretty much all my other flying), I don't think it would have been 1/2 the fun (finding your own hotel etc.)

Jeremiah

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:48 am

My Singapore Airlines flight was delayed to SGN because the nosewheel broke.

Singapore Airlines flight attendants gave us free orange juice and Communist documents to fill in so that we wouldn't have to worry about them in-flight.

We took off 32 minutes late.

eE-Kay

Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:34 am

On a Lufthansa A300 flight from FRA to MUC last June, the flight was delayed by about 25 minutes as one of the doors of the overhead-bin could not be opened (or be closed properly - I cannot remember that well). We had already taxied up to the place where QF, SAA and AC leave their a/c during the day (just before the turn to the take-off runway facing South). So we went to the apron at that place. After about 10 minutes (remarkably quick?), a technician (or something) came and he fixed the faulty door. That took him about another 10 minutes. I was surprised that such a trivial small thing can cause such a delay. The rest of the flight was uneventful, yet great! I love LH and respect the commitment to quality of this airline. I wish them a lot of high flying ...in colours.

Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:43 am

I have had quite a few delays. Mostly, due to the weather, but I have had some aircraft problems too. I sat on a crowded Continental 777 in Houston waiting for a part to fix one of the elevators for over two and a half hours. In Dallas, I was stuck on a crowded Delta MD-88 for three hours while a massive thunderstorm hit. We were not allowed to return to the gate, and the worst part is that we had no air conditioning and it was extremely hot and humid. I was soaking wet from sweating and we were not allowed to use the lavs.

jwenting

Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:47 am

Most unusual delay (and longest, of course) was when the aircraft needed a replacement part on a (planned) fuelstop.
Flightcrew had noticed a severe fuelleak while underway.
The part needed to come on a scheduled flight from our original destination. There was only one flight a day so we had to wait almost 24 hours.

aamd11

Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:04 am

in July 2000 our BA Flight to Singapore was delayed while the mechanics replaced some brakes on the Main wheels of our 747-400 (i think it was registered G-CIVU, Rendez Vous)

Anyway someone here asked about the 747-400 Lite model.
I now know that they are light because they have the vertical stabilizer tanks removed, and BA have 4 of them G-CIVF-CIVI)

chepos

Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:13 am

I've had a couple of delays but my longest must have been on a Carnival/Pan Am2 flight from PSE-BQN-JFK. I think the delay was because the airline felt like being 3 hours late that day because we were never told why we got delayed and I think they didn't even apologize.
Chepos

CcrlR

Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:34 am

Well one unusual one was when I was in St. Louis and I was waiting to reboard this Southwest flight HOU-STL-MDW and when I got to the gate they said that we would be delayed cause a light didn't go off in the cockpit cause this door didn't close.(The door was close!Something was wrong with the light) We stayed in STL for an hour making the flight late. When we were there on the plane the stewardess gave all of us handfulls and handfulls of peanuts to keep. After the flight landed in MDW the stewardesses sang to us when we taxied to the gate. One of them said "Hold right there partner were not there yet!" It was wierd and funny.

cedarjet

Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:41 am

The pilots were in Hartford CT. Unfortunately, the aircraft (a 767-300) and boarding lounge full of passengers were in Atlanta. Thank you Deltaflot.

eE-Kay

Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:45 am

Wow! Are Sky Team airlines really that ...cheap? I am starting to wonder why Aeroflot is still not in Sky Team yet?

Type-Rated

Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:46 am

I once was on a US flight from PHL-IAH when the F/O's seat broke (couldn't be adjusted and his feet couldn't reach the rudders). US had to get a new seat for him. This took about 3 hours to obtain and install.

clipper471
Head Editor

Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:47 am

Paris-(CDG) ground crew blocked the runways with equipment, protesting something, as we sat on board for a little more than two hours until the runways were reopened (Jan-1999).

UALPHLCS

Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:26 am

The outbound UA flight to ORD was cancelled when the inbound airplane's lavatories where decared inop. Just before landing a woman went to the rear lavs on a 737. There she had a problem, and her colosomy bag burst spraying the lav with feces. She opened the door and The puddle flowed out onto the carpet between the two lavs. Because this was a bio-hazard and PHL didn't have carpet to replace the ruined piece, Maintence inop the rear lavs. However the airplane could not carry the load we had legally with only one lav, so the flight had to be cancelled.

goingboeing

Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:16 am

Delta flight from MCI to ATL. IT was late getting in from SLC, then after it was boarded, they said it was fueled as if we were going to SLC instead of ATL. They said we would weigh too much to land at ATL with that amount of fuel. I didn't think 727's held that much fuel, but apparently they do. We had to wait a half hour while they pumped fuel off the plane.

ILuvYak40

Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:35 am

I had a delay in MSP this past week because as they brought the luggage trucks over, one of them got knocked over in the 50 mph winds and all the luggage blew all over the taxiway. It took an hour and a half for them to collect everything and return it to the DC-10.

Meanwhile us in first class had two beverage services.  Laugh out loud

GD727

Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:54 am

I remember an incident that happened in Providence, Rhode Island (PVD), where a cat escaped from a kennal in the cargo area and ran into the wheel well of a Continental MD-80. The flight was delayed for 3 or 4 hours as mechanics removed the cat.

Spark

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:07 pm

My favorite delay that happened to me was a flight from Singapore to Pekan Baru (PKU) in Sumatra on Garuda in 1987.
I'm not really sure what really happened, but our take off was aborted midway through the run. We just slowed down, and taxied back to the apron. Every one deboarded, and we were bused back to the terminal. 15 minutes later we boarded again, and were on our way. They never anounced the reason (to my knowledge), and the everyone was quite calm.
I still think the pilots said to each other; "You went to Duty Free, right?"
"I thought you went to Duty Free?" and aborted the take off.

BTW, only the Bristow Helicopter pilot reacted to the situation, knowing something had to wrong to abort a take off.

JetService

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:27 pm

My strangest delay was aboard a NWA DC9 at FWA. We had to wait for an inbound F-16 that had declared an emergency.

jhooper

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:29 pm

A couple of weeks ago the flight was delayed "Due to weather in Houston". A brief check revealed that the weather couldn't have been nicer in Southeast Texas.

KCLE

Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:46 pm

AirTran CAK-MCO via. ATL. There was a lot of fog around CAK, and nothing was allowed in or out, so our 6:00 AM flight was delayed until 9:30AM. Well, the 7:00 AM flight to ATL was also delayed, and the flight to CAK was diverted to CMH. Then, it flew back to ATL. Some people we talked to said that they were waiting for the flight that went back to ATL because their luggage was on that plane, because AirTran put their luggage on the wrong plane initally.

Well, that flight returned to ATL, and out flight never even left ATL. Eventually, our flight left, at 2:30 PM that day. AirTran had two DC-9s waiting for one gate, and the mess of people was unbelieveable. It worked out for the good though, because I got to fly on a 737-200, the first and only time I have been on a 737, and now the 732's are all gone.

triley1057

Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:55 pm

UALPHLCS
I think you are the winner on this one. That is freaking sick!

tsentsan

Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:56 pm

My only delay so far was a PER-SIN flight.

The inbound a/c, SQ223 from SIN was tech changed in SIN so it arrived 1½ hours late. Fortunately what arrived was a nice surprise, 9V-SPL Tropical Megatop  Smile Then the new boarding time came and went, and about 2 hours later, they announced that due to a crack in the front cargo door, the plane was unserviceable, and the SQ ground crew proceeded to bus us to hotels for an overnight stay. It was nice, when the next morning, we departed in front of another SIA B777-200, which was beautifully parked next to us. Very beautiful site, pity I didnt bring my camera.

CVG777

Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:14 pm

I was on a USAirways flight from PIT to MCO a couple of years ago and it was delayed departing over an hour because one of the windsheild wipers and fallen off on landing, and they had to replace it. It was quite comical to see maintenence persons in both seats of the cockpit sticking their bodies out the windows, and a man on one of the baggage belts raised right next to the nose of the aircraft install a new windsheild wiper.

Barcode

Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:24 pm

2 hour delay from Birmingham, England to Palma, Majorca after a crack appeared in one of the cabin windows. The window had to be replaced before we could all board. Nothing major.

Inexplicable and unexplained hour delay at Schipol waiting for a KLM Fokker 50 back to City Airport.

Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:35 pm

I know a bunch of passengers were delayed in PHX Saturday due to visible smoke coming out of the control tower. The tower was closed and evacuated and flights were delayed.

RoyalDutch

Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:15 pm

Once on a CO Express ERJ-145, we were delayed because we were overweight and had to have some fuel taken off. I'd never heard of that happening before...

FrequentFlier

Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:05 am

On a UAL 727 from DEN-PDX in early July.

We had a full load of pax and cargo on a late afternoon flight. The a/c pushed back on time, and made a quick taxi to one of the closer runways (closer being a relative term at DEN). We were second for takeoff when, suddenly, we pulled onto another taxiway and back towards the terminal. The captain said that the temperature had risen ONE DEGREE and that we would have to burn fuel. Normally, he said, we would be able to make use of another runway that was closed due to crosswinds. So we rode around DEN for about 15 minutes, just circling the main terminal. Finally, we lined up for takeoff and, finally, rolled down the runway, ascending above the ground with a good deal of pavement to spare.

flynavy

Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:32 am

MEM to BHM on Northwest Airlink. Our AVRO-RJ85 had taxied out to the runway and a problem was identified with the cargo doors. I am glad that someone in the cockpit actually realized the problem BEFORE the takeoff rool began. We ended up taxying back to the gate, and it turns out that there was no problem in the first place. After the 30 minute delay, we had no further problems and proceeded to BHM safely.

Aside from the delay, I enjoyed Northwest Airlink. The cabin crew was probably the most friendly I've ever encountered.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Christopher Smay

BlueJet

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:14 am

my delay was very very unusual. a little girls cat jumped out of their cage thing (dont ask me how) and ran back to the airport, while her mother requested we wait. she came back, but we took off 20 mins late, no biggy, but it was funny.

jmc757

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:22 am

This is not exactly unusual. but quite funny.

Last summer (2001) i flew BHX-TFS with Airtours. When we turned up we were told we were gonna be 1 hour late (we should have left at 07:45, new time 08:45) because the A320 had gone tech, and they were sending a 757 down from manchester.

Then... as we expecting to soon be called for boarding (though i could see there were no AIH aircraft on the ground) a tannoyed announcement said Airtours apologise, but it will now be 10:30, and we could go to get some refreshment vouchers. So we went to get those... and were told as the 757 was gettin ready to depart MAn for the ferry flight, a ground vehicle crashed into it!!! so it was being inspected for damage. It later ytranspired it had been damdged too much to fly!!! so we had to wait for a THIRD aircraft, another 757!! Eventually we left at 12:45 on G-WJAN. a very nice flight in the end!!

Even more funny.. then captain told us our original 757 was the third aircraft in one week that had been hit by ground vehicles. Airtours had obviously upset someone!!!!!!

Tan Flyr

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:43 am

Just 2 Friday's ago, at ORD, Eagle flight 4277 took almost an hour of delay due to the fact that someone unplugged the plane from the Airport electrical support system. All the computers had to re-boot and the GPS took almost a half an hour to locate the satellite.

Even with the extra hour of ground time one of my bags still did not make the connection..go figure!

Airontario

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:49 am

On air Transat on a MCO-YYZ flight our captain never filed a flight plan

Mr AirNZ

Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:49 pm

We were delayed the last time I flew from AKL to CHC. Our aircarft ZK-NGJ, was sitting at the gate (and had been since my flight from HLZ landed 90mins earlier) and everybody was waiting to go but one problem. No flight crew. Everything was ready except no-one was able to fly the plane and we were delayed about 70min because of this. As a side not for anyone who is intersted ZK-NGJ a 737-319 was the last 737-300 series built.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Stefanie Pleschinger

chiawei

Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:15 pm

About 3 years ago, i was waiting to catch a NW flight from SFO to Detroit.

The pilot got sick before the flight. NWA has no crew based in SFO that can fly the 757. So we waited for about 8 hours until NW find a qualified captain and flew him from MSP to SFO.

9V-SPK

Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:40 pm

Around 6-7 years ago from Hong Kong to Sydney.

Waiting at the Silver Kris Lounge for ages and when plane was to depart at 2:30 on SQ859, it delayed for like an hour, then when the lounge staff announced that the flight was ready, we went down and again it was delayed. Soon SQ transferred some passengers on a CX flight and we and most passengers were still stranded. At 18:30 we could finally catch our flight on SQ861, while SQ859 was still parked in the Haeco Hanger. Arrived in Singapore at 21:35 and of course we missed SQ221 as at that time there were no SQ231. Stayed at Furama Hotel, SQ provided us vouchers for dining, and then took the flight on the next day to Sydney. Still on SQ221 as at that time they only had one flight per day.

Oh yeah SQ859 departed on the same day at 22:00 or something.

Best Regards

CroFlight

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:32 pm

The most unusual delay I had was in 1991, on a JAT flight from PRG to ZAG.
First, during the flight, we were informed that our ATR-72 will land in BEG, instead of ZAG.
When we finaly landed, they told us that there is no flight from BEG to ZAG, because Croatia just announced independance from Yugoslavia, and all croatian airports are now closed for JAT aircrafts.
Finaly, they made a deal for a flight, and we came to ZAG at 01.00 am. That was the last JU flight to ZAG. The aircraft (733) was towed to the military airport, and appereantly, left few days later back to BEG.

paulc

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:59 pm

American Airlines 757 at DFW which had come from maintenance to replace a DC10 which had gone tech.
In the rush a seatbelt had got caught in one of the overwing emergency exits and the mechanic came on board to fix it. Unfortunately he did not make the slide 'safe' and as he pulled the door in to release the belt the evac slide inflated and that cost us another 4 hours!

katekebo

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:19 am

One (winter) day I was flying from Mexico to Sao Paulo via Dallas. It was few years ago (5 or 6) so I don't remember exact date or flight number, but it was AA B767. I was travelling with my wife and 7-month old son. It was one of these strange weather conditions in which the temperature at Dallas fell well below -20 deg.C for few days a row. After an uneventfull flight from MEX to DFW we boarded the flight to Sao Paulo. As soon as we were pushed backed the captain announced that there will be some delay due to large number of aircraft waiting for deicing. After 10 or 15 minutes he announced that we will have to wait between 9 and 10 hours (!!!) because we were number 120-something in the waiting list for deicing. Taking passengers of the plane was off course not possible because we would loose our place in the queue. He instructed the flight attendants to serve dinner. He also announced that he was turning engines off to save fuel and leave the APU running only, so it may get a little chilly inside.

Well, after an hour or so of waiting, the captain told us that he had good news. Because we were a long range flight they would let us jump the queue, so no we were number 30-something waiting for deicing and instead of waiting 9 hours we will have to wait "only" 2 or 3. Finally, after 3 and half hours of waiting we were properly deiced and took off to Sao Paulo.

A similar thing happened to me few years before in New York. I was on a Continental flight to MEX. We had to wait an hour or so for deicing. Once deiced we proceeded to the runway, but because of the traffic and weather conditions we exceeded the allowable time between deicing and take off so we would have to deice again. By then (the weather was really bad - a snow storm) some passengers got upset or scared of flying, so they requested to be taken off the plane. We taxied back to the terminal and about 10 people got off the plane. Then we went for deicing again - another two hours or so waiting time. Finally, we took off to Mexico - a good 5 hours late.

exitrowaisle

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:26 am

I was going on an America West flight from Tucson to Phoenix last year...boarding started, then all of a sudden came to a halt. The agent said we would start again in about 5 minutes. About 15 minutes went by, and the agent then announced that one of the passengers already on board was ill, and we should resume boarding in about 10 minutes or so. Suddenly, two paramedics went running up the jetway, followed by another one with a stretcher. Seems an elderly male passenger had pre-boarded, then proceeded to have a heart attack once on board! Another 15-20 minutes, and they finally wheeled the poor guy off the plane, oxygen tank and all (alive, fortunately). We finally left a little over 1 hour late, and I just made my connection in Phoenix. However, I wasn't angry, because I felt too bad for the sick man. I hope he pulled through!!

katekebo

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:48 am

I also remember two other funny stories.

One was in Mexico City. I was taking a Mexicana flight to Cancun. It was one of the old 727-200's. Everybody was already on the plane and sitting when I saw the captain discussing something with the gate agent. The conversation was getting more and more heated and I could overhear most of the conversation. Apparently in the time between the initial weight and balance calculations and the time everybody was on board and the cargo loaded, the outside temperature has increased significantly (it was around 9 or 10 AM and in the high and dry climate of Mexico City you can have 10 degC in the morning and 30 degC by noon). Consequently, with the higher-than-originally-assumed temperature the airplane was now overweight and the captain was demanding the gate agent to deplane some passengers. The gate agent was obviously pissed off and wanted the captain to take off. The captain said that over his dead body and that this plane was not going to fly unless some passengers and baggage were removed. The discussion lasted for about 30 minutes (and it was getting warmer and warmer both outside and inside the airplane). Finally, the gate agent called somebody from the management. The upper-mamagement guy tried to persuade the captain, using soft arguments firts, and threating him later. However, the captain stayed firm. Finally, the captain won. About 10 passengers were asked to volunteer to take the next flight to Cancun (which was only few minutes later anyway due to the long delay we already had). It took another 20 minutes to get their lugage off, but finally we took off.

Another funny delay happened to me at East Midlands airport in UK (if anybody knows where it is, please let me know, because after being at this place I still think it is in the middle of nowhere). I was on a BA flight from Mex to Heathrow. About two hours before landing the captain informed us that there was a bomb threat (or attack, I don't remember) at Heathrow and the airport was closed. He told us not to worry because if Heathrow remained closed, we would divert to another UK airport. But then the weather started to play against us. One hour before scheduled landing time the captain announced that most alternate airports in UK were closed due to bad weather (there was a big storm over the North Sea), but he was still looking for a place to land. He infomed us that in worst case we would go to Amsterdam, but he really preferred to land in UK. Finally, a good half hour after scheduled landing time the captain announced that he found a UK airport that could receive us - East Midlands. We landed (in very strong wind so it was a very bumpy approach and landing) and taxied to the terminal. And this is when the real problem started. The airport did not have any jet-ways. It did not have any stairs high enough for a B747 either. So we waited inside the airplane why the airport staff was looking for stairs high enough for the airplane. Taking off to fly to Amsterdam was out of question because immediately after our landing the airport closed due to bad weather - we were the last airplane to land. After an hour or so they finally found some stair high enough and we began to deplane. But the stairs were rather narrow and light, and in the very strong wind they continued moving and shaking, so we had to deplane one-by-one. It took several hours to get all 400+ passengers off (by the way a nice argument for the anti-A380 guys  Wink/being sarcastic ).

I had a connecting flight from Heathrow to Newcastle which I obviously missed. The BA kindly offered us to take us by bus to London, but I figured it out that going to London was actually opposite direction to where I was heading to. So I got on a train which (with one or two connections) would get me to Newcastle. But I did not count on the weather - by that time the wind damaged some electric transmission lines and I got stuck for 7 hours in a train (fortunately at a station so I was able to get some food).

lewis

Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:22 am

The only 'serious' delay that I had was in 1995 with Olympic Airways. We boarded our aircraft (747-212B) for our flight ATH-YUL-YYZ. The aircraft taxied to the runway, started the takeoff roll and then stopped. We parked on a very remote location and we were asked to disembark. We found out that there had been a bomb threat. Our luggage was already in a hangar and we had to identify them and wait for 1 and 1/2 hours in a lounge. It was a hoax and we departed 2 1/2 hours later.

Konstantinos

Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:19 am

I don't know why and for what reason this happened but once when I was in Rome and boarded on the DC10-30 of Zambia Airways we were delayed in the plane at the terminal for sevral minutes. The aircrafts destanation was Lusaka, Zambia, about an 8 hour flight.
After sevral minutes the Captain of the aircraft, Cpt. Sakala informed as about the delay. He told us that they had to wait and see if they could take on some more fuel for the flight and that once they found out that they could, they started refueling and took on some more.
Don't know why this happened. Anyone know ? Please let me know too.

ont 737

Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:38 am

While I was a ramp agent we had some delays and some cancellations for some pretty stupid reasons. We had to ground a plane once because the sticker above the right emergency exit window was one meant for the left side. Because of this the seats on the sticker were facing the wrong direction. The flight was cancelled and all of the passengers had to be rebooked. I have no idea what they told the passengers why the flight was cancelled. We had a flight that left 40 minutes late because there was not a yellow flash light in the emergency kit. All the passengers were on the plane and the pilot would not leave without one. We then found a grey flash light and gave it to him, but he started giving us crap because it was not yellow. Eventually he left, and again I have no clue what they told the passengers. I'm glad I was not the one having to tell them.

CV990

Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:45 am

Hi!

Delays are quite normal in flights, I had mostly small ones but I indeed had one more than normal. I was at Guernsey waiting for my flight to LGW with CityFlyer Shorts 360, I saw the plane arriving and saw the people leaving the plane. I was with my wife in a neat view area in Guernsey Airport when I saw a mech. openning engine Nr. 1, in the meantime I was ready to board the plane when they said the plane was delayed, I said to my wife the delay was due to tech. reasons, so we went again to the view area and stayed for a while looking to that nice man trying to solve the problem. Well it passed 2 hours and some of us where getting quite angry. In the meanwhile another CityFlyer air plane arrived, this time a brand new ATR42, and we asked to board that plane, but they said that the plane was fixed and we would board imediately our Shorts. Well one old english fellow asked me if it would be safe to fly the Shorts and I said yes, I didn't expect that the Cap. would fly not knowing that the plane was ok. Well, all came ok and we landed nicely at LGW!
Just to give you the dates and details it was:

1992/09/05 - FD SH360 - G-BLTO

Regards

planelover

Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:52 am

I was delayed back several years ago on a Philippine Airlines 744. They couldn't get the #4 engine started. We were sitting out on the tarmak (sp?) and the mechanics were out there tinkering around. That delayed us about an hour I think. On that same trip, on a US Air 737, we had to wait about a half hour while the air filter was changed.
Anyways, that's about it for me.

redcap

Delay Reasons

Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:40 am

Well , as a so called ' redcap ' one of my responsabilities is to try to get the airplane leaving on time , and if not we always have to explain the caused delay by telex and by his specific delay code . And I can tell that there are hundreds of resons of why a flight can be late . Lets give a few examples . The flight can receive a so called ' slot ', so that way it is retricted to take-off before a certain time . This can be caused by too much traffic , bad weather , radar problems , ... on the local airport , on route or at the destination airport . And because an air traffic jam is impossible , the flights are kept on the ground till teher is spac available .On a day a few years ago i remember slots being created to flights who had to pass trough British airspace because air traffic controllers were blocked in a traffic jam on their way to their work at London , so the controllers at work couldn't be replaced in time and were getting tired , and thats why they limited the amount of traffic per hour in the London airspace ... try to explain that to your passangers  Big grin . Flights of course can be delayed by a lot of other reasons like technical problems , minimum crew rest time , late incomming flights , late crew boardings , technical breakdowns of airport or loading and servicing equipments , actions by ground staff , accidents while servicing the plane , ... What a lot of travellers don't realise is that arriving late at the boarding gate can create delays too . Cause a missing passenger who is having his luggage on board of the flight can create some serious delay , cause his bag can not travel alone on the flight for safety reasons and so has to be offloaded from the flight . I once had a missing passenger on my flight with 5 bags checked in on a flight operated by an A-330 to somewhere in africa , so we had to search for his bags . All the bags were loaded in containers ( each containing about 40 pieces ) and over 300 bags were checked-in . By our computer system we could lokalise the 5 bags loaded in 5 different containers , so we had to unload about half of the aircraft to find his bags . The flight had an on-time slot on his scheduled departure time , which it rated of course . After almost 40 mins all bags were offloaded , the plan was reloaded again and the cargo doors were closed . But at that time we received a slot with take-off only about 1 hour later . So the flight had about almost 2 hours of delay , and hundreds of passengers got angry because only 1 man did not show up at his gate . The missing passenger was found a few hours later sleeping on a seat in the airport , not knowing he caused so much troubles to others . And i can go on like this ...
So aviation is quite complicated , and delays can be caused by hundreds and hundreds of reasons .
Rgds
Pieter