SCHATC422
Topic Author
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Via Air has just announced new focus cities at BHM and PIT. Adding service to MEM, BDL and onestop service to AUS from PIT.

Good add for BDL to get PIT back after OneJet failed, and I'd say a decent add for PIT and a more established carrier with a more reliable product.

Thoughts? https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/01 ... l-airport/
Former WN Ramp Rat
Current ATC
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9578
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.
 
SCHATC422
Topic Author
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
enilria wrote:
Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.


I'm softly calling it more reliable than OneJet... lol. Wasn't making it sound like a 'hard' reliable... keeping it soft.
Former WN Ramp Rat
Current ATC
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Wow - how are they still in business?
 
kcrwflyer
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 11:57 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
enilria wrote:
Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.


I'm softly calling it more reliable than OneJet... lol. Wasn't making it sound like a 'hard' reliable... keeping it soft.


very generous of you, still.
 
klm617
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 pm

And PIT still hasn't learned it's lesson. I wonder how much money this dysfunctional carrier has cheated the tax payers of Pennsylvania out of.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9578
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm

kcrwflyer wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
enilria wrote:
Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.


I'm softly calling it more reliable than OneJet... lol. Wasn't making it sound like a 'hard' reliable... keeping it soft.


very generous of you, still.

I'd whisper "reliable" very quietly around Austin.
 
PITexpress
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm

klm617 wrote:
And PIT still hasn't learned it's lesson. I wonder how much money this dysfunctional carrier has cheated the tax payers of Pennsylvania out of.


They don't use taxpayer money.
 
malev2012
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 pm

enilria wrote:
kcrwflyer wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

I'm softly calling it more reliable than OneJet... lol. Wasn't making it sound like a 'hard' reliable... keeping it soft.


very generous of you, still.

I'd whisper "reliable" very quietly around Austin.


I'll be shocked if they are operating any of these flights come June. I don't get how they aren't out of business yet.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8376
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 am

WOW..............didn't they serve like 5 destinations in West Virginia?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 am

I guess it doesn't take much to be called a "focus city" these days...
 
BatonOps
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:00 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 am

Any bets if service will even start on these routes?
 
jco613
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:16 am

one positive...it looks like BDL-PIT could still be successful. Don't know why DL hasn't jumped in there like they did to CLE-BDL.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4062
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:21 am

jco613 wrote:
one positive...it looks like BDL-PIT could still be successful. Don't know why DL hasn't jumped in there like they did to CLE-BDL.


DL only added that back in 2014 because of the CO hub closure at CLE

The route didn't come organically
Last edited by Midwestindy on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
xpfg
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:17 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:22 am

I agree it's amazing these guys are still running, but I give them credit for being bookable on the typical travel sites and also having a very nice website of their own. Of all the latest startups, these guys are at least trying to look good.

I hope they make it.
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 am

I'd be more excited if I could fly BDL beyond Pittsburgh. $200 roundtrip.
Somehow they manage to keep going. I'm not sure how.
Too expensive to really be a LCC, let alone an ULCC
NO FF base to tap into.
Not enough name recognition for corporate travel and business types to book IMO
maybe someone can correct me on the corporate travel part.
 
jco613
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 am

Midwestindy wrote:
jco613 wrote:
one positive...it looks like BDL-PIT could still be successful. Don't know why DL hasn't jumped in there like they did to CLE-BDL.


DL only added that back in 2014 because of the CO hub closure at CLE

The route didn't come organically

and BDL-PIT was an old US route...it's been operated in some way shape or form for the majority of the time since US dehubbed PIT
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 am

I would not book a flight on this carrier. They seem to have been on life support for some time, and seems they are close to having the plug pulled.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8376
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
I guess it doesn't take much to be called a "focus city" these days...



Well....if they started

PIT-ROC
PIT-MKE
PIT-EWR
PIT-MCI
PIT-STL
PIT-SDF


...it would help
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3879
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 pm

enilria wrote:
Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.


I believe in June or July they only operated 9 of the 25 or so scheduled AUS-OKC around trips. One of them that operated they had to combine with TUL and then the flight canceled in TUL and they left the OKC passengers stranded and never got them to AUS. A true gem of an airline. Reliable is not a word I would place in the same sentence as ViaAir, unless you placed a “not” in there.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
N766UA
Posts: 8223
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 1999 3:50 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

jco613 wrote:
one positive...it looks like BDL-PIT could still be successful. Don't know why DL hasn't jumped in there like they did to CLE-BDL.


I’m still not sure why DL even continues to fly CLE-BDL. A quick glance at this week, for example, shows a 38% load factor on its best day, and an average of more like 25%.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm

727LOVER wrote:
WOW..............didn't they serve like 5 destinations in West Virginia?


Yes, were EAS routes and they lost all of them due to poor reliability. They are currently operated by Southern Airways Express, Skywest, and Contour.
 
User avatar
knope2001
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:09 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.


I believe in June or July they only operated 9 of the 25 or so scheduled AUS-OKC around trips. One of them that operated they had to combine with TUL and then the flight canceled in TUL and they left the OKC passengers stranded and never got them to AUS. A true gem of an airline. Reliable is not a word I would place in the same sentence as ViaAir, unless you placed a “not” in there.


Via seems to have canceled about 20% of their operation during the month of June (not counting the discontinued CLT flying which was likely not much different) based on DoT scheduled vs operated flights. It may have been even worse depending on how close-in schedule changes were handled and reported. And these say nothing of on-time performance of what did operate, potentially just as damning to a traveler if the delay is long enough.

The schedules they’ve rolled out for these new flights concern me -- they are iffy for the business traveler market with the potential to support these city pairs and high RJ costs. But if they can’t operate a reasonably-reliable operation that will sink them. I really do think there’s some potential for point-to-point RJ flying to work (especially with relatively low fuel prices) but they need to be focused on serving passengers willing to pay higher fares for convenient, reliable nonstop flights. That’s usually business travelers, but they are a challenge to win even with flawless reliability and great schedules. It doesn’t help Via that some PIT business travelers may already feel burned by the OneJet saga, even with PIT-BDL perhaps being the single route in their system with the least disruption. If Via post a similar performance in these new markets as this past year it will only make it that much harder if a reliable, business-focused operation tries to pick up the pieces in PIT and elsewhere in the future.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

I think there is lots of potential in RJ point to point flying if there were just more pilots. So many of these 50 seater planes are being retired from the big boys, so getting them is cheap. Fuel has to stay low . I think modern day milk run routes could work with one stop no plane change further destinations . Finding the right route combinations is the trick. I dont think AUS-MEM-PIT is it., Hope I'm wrong and VIA become viable.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9578
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:36 pm

knope2001 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Reliable? Uhh. You might want to google some threads from late last year.


I believe in June or July they only operated 9 of the 25 or so scheduled AUS-OKC around trips. One of them that operated they had to combine with TUL and then the flight canceled in TUL and they left the OKC passengers stranded and never got them to AUS. A true gem of an airline. Reliable is not a word I would place in the same sentence as ViaAir, unless you placed a “not” in there.


Via seems to have canceled about 20% of their operation during the month of June (not counting the discontinued CLT flying which was likely not much different) based on DoT scheduled vs operated flights. It may have been even worse depending on how close-in schedule changes were handled and reported. And these say nothing of on-time performance of what did operate, potentially just as damning to a traveler if the delay is long enough.

The schedules they’ve rolled out for these new flights concern me -- they are iffy for the business traveler market with the potential to support these city pairs and high RJ costs. But if they can’t operate a reasonably-reliable operation that will sink them. I really do think there’s some potential for point-to-point RJ flying to work (especially with relatively low fuel prices) but they need to be focused on serving passengers willing to pay higher fares for convenient, reliable nonstop flights. That’s usually business travelers, but they are a challenge to win even with flawless reliability and great schedules. It doesn’t help Via that some PIT business travelers may already feel burned by the OneJet saga, even with PIT-BDL perhaps being the single route in their system with the least disruption. If Via post a similar performance in these new markets as this past year it will only make it that much harder if a reliable, business-focused operation tries to pick up the pieces in PIT and elsewhere in the future.

Well said. I think their eyes seem to be bigger than their stomach. I don't know if the economics are just so bad they can't afford to operate a good airline, or if the terrible operation is just killing the revenue. Either way, it's not good. The business model seems interesting on the surface, but at the moment it's not working.
 
plinth857
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:36 pm

N766UA wrote:
jco613 wrote:
one positive...it looks like BDL-PIT could still be successful. Don't know why DL hasn't jumped in there like they did to CLE-BDL.


I’m still not sure why DL even continues to fly CLE-BDL. A quick glance at this week, for example, shows a 38% load factor on its best day, and an average of more like 25%.


$$$, I would assume - They get enough business traffic on this route that it's still profitable. I flew this route once recently on a government contract ticket, and it seemed like most of the travelers knew each other.
 
Novaboy2525
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 am

Re: VC Announces BHM & PIT Focus Cities, Adds BDL, MEM

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 pm

plinth857 wrote:
N766UA wrote:
jco613 wrote:
one positive...it looks like BDL-PIT could still be successful. Don't know why DL hasn't jumped in there like they did to CLE-BDL.


I’m still not sure why DL even continues to fly CLE-BDL. A quick glance at this week, for example, shows a 38% load factor on its best day, and an average of more like 25%.


$$$, I would assume - They get enough business traffic on this route that it's still profitable. I flew this route once recently on a government contract ticket, and it seemed like most of the travelers knew each other.



This. ^^^ I highly doubt that a smart airline like Delta would continue a route where it is 100% O&D if it wasn't making money for them. Delta has been on this route for almost 5 years now and continues to be a boggle to most ANetters, yes it is an unusual route but time to give it a rest in questioning Delta's business practices.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos