mercure1
Topic Author

German airport security staff strike, 1000+ flights cancelled

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 am

Airport security personnel went on strike for the second time this week, this time affecting airports in Cologne, Dusseldorf and Stuttgart.

The strike at Stuttgart airport began at 3:00 a.m. local time on Thursday while the strikes at the Cologne/Bonn and Dusseldorf airports began at midnight. Munich was also hit by minor strikes. In Dusseldorf, 370 of 580 departures were canceled at Germany's third-largest airport.

In all, more than half of the 1,050 flights from Dusseldorf, Cologne/Bonn and Stuttgart were canceled.

On Monday, security workers carried out a four-hour strike at Berlin's Tegel and Schönefeld airports, causing around 80 flights to be delayed.

Security staff strike at 3 German airports
https://www.dw.com/en/security-staff-st ... a-47019348

Seems to me the union demand that a minimum wage of €20 euros per hour for security staff be offered is not too unreasonable.
Last edited by mercure1 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercure f-wtcc

Blerg

Re: German airport security staff strike, 1000+ flights cancelled

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 am

Did security staff also strike at MUC for the same reason?

SCQ83

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 am

How long will it take? I am flying to DUS next week.

Noshow

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am

New strike announced for Frankfurt for next tuesday 2 AM to 8 PM.

LTU330

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm

I have a friend working security at MUC. I think currently she said she is on about 9.50 Euro per hour, however I have noticed an advert for Security staff at MUC offering 20 Euro per hour AND something like a 5000 Euro bonus. When you consider that a Licensed Aircraft Engineer (EASA CAT B1) on the top pay band at Air Berlin was earning 28 Euro per hour it seems a bit much to me. I also noticed in a UK Newspaper last month that a company was looking for cleaners in London and was paying 25 Pounds per hour. If true, it seems like there is no longer any reason to go in to further education. Instead of wasting 4 years on an apprenticeship just go do Airport Security or cleaning. You will probably earn just as much as you would with that diploma without any of the responsibilities.

janders

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm

Honestly, EUR 20 does not seem unrealistic. Many large US airports have their own minimum living wages not far off in the $18-20 range themselves. I would expect security staff earn a bit more than minimum wage cleaning staff members.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

AtomicGarden

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:37 am

LTU330 wrote:
I have a friend working security at MUC. I think currently she said she is on about 9.50 Euro per hour, however I have noticed an advert for Security staff at MUC offering 20 Euro per hour AND something like a 5000 Euro bonus. When you consider that a Licensed Aircraft Engineer (EASA CAT B1) on the top pay band at Air Berlin was earning 28 Euro per hour it seems a bit much to me. I also noticed in a UK Newspaper last month that a company was looking for cleaners in London and was paying 25 Pounds per hour. If true, it seems like there is no longer any reason to go in to further education. Instead of wasting 4 years on an apprenticeship just go do Airport Security or cleaning. You will probably earn just as much as you would with that diploma without any of the responsibilities.

As it is only a matter of time until someone calls the strikers greedy and if they don't like their wages then they should look for a different job, same logic applies here. There must be some reason why those wages are "too high" for you. Cost of living? high demand of cleaners, small supply? unwanted yet essential jobs? I think the problem is not that those wages are high, but that the Air Berlin salary was low (they folded anyway).

Also, my bet is that aviation techs go thru the hassle of school because they actually love what they do.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

LAXintl

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Per travel agency advisory, with strike planned at FRA on Tuesday, LH will publish a list of pre-cancellations on Sunday evening and will allow passengers to rebook on flights through January 20th.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Kilopond

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm

AtomicGarden wrote:
...[As it is only a matter of time until someone calls the strikers greedy and if they don't like their wages then they should look for a different job, same logic applies here.[...]

??? What other jobs? Most of those black mailers are unskilled scool droppers who just underwent a six-week drill instructuion. More often than not they wan`t be fluent at either German or English.

LTU330

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
LTU330 wrote:

As it is only a matter of time until someone calls the strikers greedy and if they don't like their wages then they should look for a different job, same logic applies here. There must be some reason why those wages are "too high" for you. Cost of living? high demand of cleaners, small supply? unwanted yet essential jobs? I think the problem is not that those wages are high, but that the Air Berlin salary was low (they folded anyway).

Also, my bet is that aviation techs go thru the hassle of school because they actually love what they do.

Air berlin paid more than Lufthansa in that respect so it's not that Air Berlin staff were underpaid. Also, I never said 20 Euro was too high. I simply compared it to a highly skilled position. I don't understand why they need to make such an offer. You cannot use the argument that they can't get the staff. What about all the people on the benefit system. Why are they not made to take jobs ? OK, not everyone would be suitable due to background checks but it's hard to believe that there aren't some people who could do the work.

LTU330

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 am

Kilopond wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
...[As it is only a matter of time until someone calls the strikers greedy and if they don't like their wages then they should look for a different job, same logic applies here.[...]

??? What other jobs? Most of those black mailers are unskilled scool droppers who just underwent a six-week drill instructuion. More often than not they wan`t be fluent at either German or English.

My friend who works at MUC told me that they have a lot of Hungarian and Romanians at the moment and they have been told that they must learn German. I think you need at the very least a basic knowledge of German for that type of work, and at a major Airport like MUC, English would also be a good idea. I guess if you are part of a team and your job is to watch the screen or do the pat down if the body scanner highlights something, you don't really need the language skills, but for the person telling you what to remove, and which electronic articles need to be taken out of your carry on, you need the skills for sure.

LAXintl

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm

LH anticipates strikes at Hanover, Bremen, Leipzig/Halle, Dresden and Hamburg on 15 January in addition to Frankfurt.

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flight-information

LH748

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:04 am

I was one of the affected passengers. My FR flight to AGP was moved from CGN to NRN. Ryanair sent me an email about the changed departure airport and the new schedule. A shuttle bus from CGN to NRN was offered and even though there was a bit of room for improvement, I was quite positively surprised how Ryanair handled the situation.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

LAXintl

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 pm

FRA airport statement:

Security service strike on Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A strike by security staff at Frankfurt Airport has been announced for Tuesday, January 15. The strike activities are expected to cause major disruptions and flight cancellations throughout the day. In particular, the security checkpoints outside the transit area will remain closed during the strike, from the early morning hours until 8 p.m. Thus, originating passengers departing from Frankfurt will not be able to pass through the legally required security checks and get to their flights.
We therefore strongly advise all originating passengers from Frankfurt to avoid coming to the airport. Please contact your airline or travel operator as soon as possible for information on your flight. We expect that transfer processes for connecting passengers in the transit area will still largely be possible. Nevertheless, also transfer passengers should expect disruptions and delays due to the strike. We kindly ask all affected passengers for their understanding.

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en.html

mercure1
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:42 pm

655 of 1,200 flights canceled at FRA

https://www.dw.com/en/airport-strikes-a ... a-47082150
mercure f-wtcc

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos