janders

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Email United is sending around to its corporate accounts:

Dear valued customer,

As you may already be aware, some confidential high-level revenue information for about a dozen global corporate accounts in the San Francisco area was leaked via Twitter on Friday afternoon and has been picked-up on a variety of other media and social media channels.

This information was provided to United employees as part of a limited pilot project focused on San Francisco to highlight the importance of our corporate relationships and was not intended to be shared publicly. The project has since been discontinued.

The small number of accounts mentioned by name on this material have already been contacted directly by United. The material has been taken down and moving forward we will review and further restrict sharing of internal account information to a strictly need to know audience.

We take the confidentiality of your corporate account information very seriously, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please do not hesitate to contact your United Sales representative if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your understanding.

https://t.co/nE0w0k3DXN

Amazing someone really thought creating large banners, sending emails, newsletters with the sensitive info that would be seen by many thousands was a good idea :banghead:

Nothing is secret in the world of smart phones, the internet and connected social media.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

B737900ER

Re: Corporate traffic sneak peek: SFO-PVG tops list of UA’s most lucrative Apple routes

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:44 pm

janders wrote:

Amazing someone really thought creating large banners, sending emails, newsletters with the sensitive info that would be seen by many thousands was a good idea :banghead:

There are no words.

Makes you wonder about all the decisions being made that you don’t see.

codc10

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Apple keeps close to the vest on things like this. I am sure Jake Cefolia has already communicated with Apple, hat-in-hand, to salvage the relationship.

LAFlyer on Twitter regularly publishes internal United content, often sourced from company communications to employees. Some of it is rather innocuous (like seat maps for new Polaris configurations long before they make it to the web site), but this one was decidedly not for public consumption. I wonder if there will be any consequences... this kind of disclosure doesn't exactly contribute to a very open internal communication culture, which is a shame.

VC10er wrote:
Something of a related question: I had a big, global client who’s business with my company was large (for us) and the client had basically 2 major HQs, #1 for them was London, #2 was NYC. (Aside from regional HQ’s around the world. The HQ in Singapore, the top brass there was Singapore Airlines- not BA).
For a few years I was quite friendly with the Global CMO of this client and he had a BA “Decision Maker” card/status that put him and one or two others he was traveling with in BA First Class (always)
Has anyone heard of this “Decision Maker” card from BA? I asked him “Decide on what?” - he wasn’t the type to brag, humble nice guy (unless you really crossed him) and he said he was part of the C suite who decided which airline/s would win their contacts. I was fortunate to travel with him a couple of times and BA employees at the airport knew him on sight. Took care of him (and me) as if we were almost part of the Royal Family.
Do other airline provide these enormous perks with a similar status to the “C” suite of their big contracts?
I don’t think they even provided us with boarding passes- the card was enough. Upon arrival we were simply driven to the 747 by a luxury car after a short stay in the F lounge. He had a BA vallet dedicated to him (us) from beautiful check-in room to seat.
So, with First Class gone on UA, how do they cater to the very most senior executives (who could, but did not call for the company jet?? Is being given UA GS enough? (BTW: he preferred BA First over the company jet, due to BA frequencies and more comfortable F seats)

United carried over the Chairman's Circle program from Continental, which is like an uber-GS status for a handful of major corporate decision-makers and other VVIP types.

chrisnh

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:04 pm

DL/B6 BOS--GE/Raytheon...

Probably add 'Big Academe' and 'Big Pharma' to Boston's list.

Judge1310

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 pm

enilria wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

LOL! Seriously, someone at UAL in Marketing was clearly on their way out the door. That data is usually not for public consumption.

Being in Agency Tech myself, all these offshore markets make sense. I'm curious how L.A. and "Silicon Beach" numbers compare to this and also on AA and DL.

So Now that it's out in the Public? How would anybody use the information?

Delta and/or American Sales have probably already taken it to Apple to discuss what would be necessary to get some of that business moved over.

Maybe but that result is not going to happen...

The folks here who fly from SFO to Asia are not going to schlep up to Seattle or down to LAX just to get a flight on DL or AA. UA is the undisputed major US American carrier to Asia. The only other viable option, which some local folks do, is hop on one of the many Asian carriers that fly nonstop out of SFO and make their connections on the other side of the Pacific.

winginit

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:18 am

enilria wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

LOL! Seriously, someone at UAL in Marketing was clearly on their way out the door. That data is usually not for public consumption.

Being in Agency Tech myself, all these offshore markets make sense. I'm curious how L.A. and "Silicon Beach" numbers compare to this and also on AA and DL.

Delta and/or American Sales have probably already taken it to Apple to discuss what would be necessary to get some of that business moved over.

Again, Delta and American, through their own data channels (PRISM, MIDT), were very well aware of how much Apple business was going to UA long before this flyer. The nature of PRISM is such that every single corporate booking is logged by O&D, by cabin and by fare paid; and while the flown carrier is masked, it's pretty clear which carrier is moving SFO-PVG.

It's the job, by definition, of DL and AA Sales Executives to shift premium corporate share from UA; and this flyer does nothing to change that.

Judge1310 wrote:
Maybe but that result is not going to happen...

The folks here who fly from SFO to Asia are not going to schlep up to Seattle or down to LAX just to get a flight on DL or AA. UA is the undisputed major US American carrier to Asia. The only other viable option, which some local folks do, is hop on one of the many Asian carriers that fly nonstop out of SFO and make their connections on the other side of the Pacific.

For starters, I think you might be discounting what road warriors are willing to do on account of loyalty, but it's a fair assumption that a vast majority of SFO road warriors are bound to UA. As for your second piece there, you can bet AA and UA work actively to shift this non-stop business onto their JV partners KE and JL via a one-stop for a reduced price.
Last edited by winginit on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoSharks

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:20 am

enilria wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Unless some other airline decides to open multiple TPAC services from Sfo or sjc, there's nothing really to discuss.

FURUREFA

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:58 am

winginit wrote:

Note quite a dozen others, but yes the big banks (JPM, Citi, Barclays, Morgan Stanley, BofA, Goldman, HSBC) all have comparable volumes. My guess would be that poster works for JP Morgan, who are measurably above the rest when it comes to NYC-London.

It’s not JP but it is one of the other named firms.

Although we do a lot of volume, our yield is pretty mediocre.

UPlog

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 am

Guess for a few months now, UA has been telling staff to be extra attentive to Apple travelers.
From comments, they have been told “surprise & delight” the fruit companies staff.

United Is Telling Staff To Be Nice To Apple Employees
https://onemileatatime.com/united-nice- ... employees/

Judge1310

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

UPlog wrote:
Guess for a few months now, UA has been telling staff to be extra attentive to Apple travelers.
From comments, they have been told “surprise & delight” the fruit companies staff.

United Is Telling Staff To Be Nice To Apple Employees
https://onemileatatime.com/united-nice- ... employees/

An article was written that is absolutely incorrect in its purview and conjecture...

jensona6

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Blerg wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Given Apple's horrible performance in China, I wonder how long before the list changes. I doubt Apple will be generous when it comes to business trips if sales keep on falling.

Given they manufacture $100B+ worth of iPhones in China plus all their other devices that seems doubtful.

Well, there are rumours of the production line being moved to India.

That explains why United had included Delhi as part of its new expansion plan from San Francisco.

Judge1310

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 pm

jensona6 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Given they manufacture $100B+ worth of iPhones in China plus all their other devices that seems doubtful.

Well, there are rumours of the production line being moved to India.

That explains why United had included Delhi as part of its new expansion plan from San Francisco.

No it doesn't. Air India flies out of SFO nearly every day (on some days twice a day) with service to Delhi. United is in a mode of transporting more of their customers on their own metal as opposed to relying heavily on their Star Alliance partners. The United service is starting off as seasonal and operated by the B787-9 -- very pragmatic and hardly resultant of "...rumours of the production line being moved to India...".

enilria

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

GoSharks wrote:
enilria wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

Unless some other airline decides to open multiple TPAC services from Sfo or sjc, there's nothing really to discuss.

DL and AA have partners that fly Transpac from SFO

Judge1310

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 pm

enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:
enilria wrote:

That's not how airline contracts work...

Antarius

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm

UA is lucky Jobs isn't still around. He'd probably personally go to UA HQ and terminate the contract.

This was beyond stupid.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

Oilman

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm

winginit wrote:
The nature of PRISM is such that every single corporate booking is logged by O&D, by cabin and by fare paid; and while the flown carrier is masked, it's pretty clear which carrier is moving SFO-PVG.

Why would airlines permit their data to be logged and distributed like this? I can’t think of another industry that does that.

Oilman

N649DL

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Antarius wrote:
UA is lucky Jobs isn't still around. He'd probably personally go to UA HQ and terminate the contract.

This was beyond stupid.

I can't find the photo right now - but a few years ago I found one of Jobs clearly sitting in an AA first class lounger seat in the 1990s so I doubt they would've been giving that much $$ to UAL if he was still around.

CREST777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Oilman wrote:
winginit wrote:
The nature of PRISM is such that every single corporate booking is logged by O&D, by cabin and by fare paid; and while the flown carrier is masked, it's pretty clear which carrier is moving SFO-PVG.

Why would airlines permit their data to be logged and distributed like this? I can’t think of another industry that does that.

Oilman

Airline sales are indeed unique, whereby airlines that subscribe to PRISM, or SABRE Airline Solutions share in depth details on O/D traffic by route, cabin, market, fare type and more. You can see most of the data broken down by carrier. Some data is displayed as OAL, or other airline, and you'd have to just know the carriers with a certain market share, or QSI, AKA, Quality of Service Index, which is really a figure of what a fair share of natural traffic a carrier should get without a contract for a TMC/Corporate. This figure is generally confidential per each JV/Airline. MIDT data, for future bookings also reveals carriers specific forward booking data by O/D, Cabin, JV, and more that is sourced by a TMC or Agency of Record, or OBE with a ARC #. Airlines share this data because they all need it to negotiate, verify and ensure compliance of corporate and TMC contracts which are based sometimes on $$ or Market Share.

Very different from other industries.

strfyr51

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 pm

N649DL wrote:
enilria wrote:
I wonder who got fired for leaking that. Lol

Y'know? I might tend to doubt that. I'll bet there are guys from all over the Company that check out this Board. I'd bet the information isn't even that restricted though I Do know United likes to play their cards close to the vest. And? I can't be mad at them for it.

CREST777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:

True...more like a thread fwd'd from VP of Sales to local AM CC'd saying we apologize. AA/DL will probably be reactive in their meeting with any Travel Manager and just take orders from Apple, if they tender a RfQ and want a new alliance.

Airline sales are not really Sales when you compare to any other industry. I would't call anyone at an airline sales dept. a salesperson. They are relationship managers, at most.

enilria

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:

I can't speak for *A and OW, but that's exactly how the SkyTeam JV carrier deals work. Have you not noticed how metal swaps willy nilly from one operator to another? Do you really believe that all the corporate contracts are just wiped out when a DL plane becomes KL or AF? I don't think KL and AF even have sales in the U.S. now. It's just DL JV sales. VS is either already completely doing that or in progress and KE is in progress. I think maybe your comments are rooted in the pre-JV days. There is no reason not to combine all those deals in the JV world.

winginit

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm

enilria wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
enilria wrote:

I can't speak for *A and OW, but that's exactly how the SkyTeam JV carrier deals work. Have you not noticed how metal swaps willy nilly from one operator to another? Do you really believe that all the corporate contracts are just wiped out when a DL plane becomes KL or AF? I don't think KL and AF even have sales in the U.S. now. It's just DL JV sales. VS is either already completely doing that or in progress and KE is in progress. I think maybe your comments are rooted in the pre-JV days. There is no reason not to combine all those deals in the JV world.

Indeed. That's how Star Alliance, oneworld, and Sky Team JV all contract.

Lootess

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
It would be neat to learn United, AA, and Deltas largest clients at each of their hubs.

Delta's is obvious at SEA. The dedicated Microsoft and Amazon check-in counter.

GoSharks

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:59 am

enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:
enilria wrote:

Still doesn't help that much. ST can get you to PVG, one other China destination that I can't remember, and ICN. OW to HKG and TYO. UA is still in a dominating position with their non stops and partner non stops.

N649DL

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:27 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
enilria wrote:
I wonder who got fired for leaking that. Lol

Y'know? I might tend to doubt that. I'll bet there are guys from all over the Company that check out this Board. I'd bet the information isn't even that restricted though I Do know United likes to play their cards close to the vest. And? I can't be mad at them for it.

I was half joking, IDK how bad that pop up banner was for promo but it was *extremely* detailed. More-so than usual.

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 pm

GoSharks wrote:
enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:

Still doesn't help that much. ST can get you to PVG, one other China destination that I can't remember, and ICN. OW to HKG and TYO. UA is still in a dominating position with their non stops and partner non stops.

Sure it’s less breadth of product, but now they can see what it’s worth to try to undercut individual routes. Apple could certainly have a different preferred airline for different routes. That used to be the most common arrangement until the number of airlines shrank so much.

Judge1310

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 pm

enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:
enilria wrote:

Sure it’s less breadth of product, but now they can see what it’s worth to try to undercut individual routes. Apple could certainly have a different preferred airline for different routes. That used to be the most common arrangement until the number of airlines shrank so much.

I can assure you, as someone who lives in the SF area and knows many techies who travel for work, that the concept you're pushing is NOT how it works. Some people take UA, some take Cathay, the point of the contract is maximum flexibility for the corporate client. For the employees/travellers, they're just stoked to be able to collect and use their miles for fun trips and the ability to use their miles as they need/see fit is what's hella important to them.

winginit

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
enilria wrote:
GoSharks wrote:

I can assure you, as someone who lives in the SF area and knows many techies who travel for work, that the concept you're pushing is NOT how it works. Some people take UA, some take Cathay, the point of the contract is maximum flexibility for the corporate client. For the employees/travellers, they're just stoked to be able to collect and use their miles for fun trips and the ability to use their miles as they need/see fit is what's hella important to them.

100% correct. There is not a single corporation, not one, who exclusively contracts with a single carrier on a route basis and enforces that exclusivity. There is no Company A who says "between SFO and PVG we fly UA and only UA - no one else - ever."

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:22 pm

winginit wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
enilria wrote:

100% correct. There is not a single corporation, not one, who exclusively contracts with a single carrier on a route basis and enforces that exclusivity. There is no Company A who says "between SFO and PVG we fly UA and only UA - no one else - ever."

It sounds like you are agreeing with me. It was GoSharks who said nobody could compete with UA for the corporate business in SFO.

VC10er

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:21 am

winginit wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
enilria wrote:

Well my old company was the exception then. A horrible little man hiding in a cube would review each and every travel itinerary. Enforcement of airline per route was strong. There had to be no other flight within a 3 hour window- or it was BA to LHR, UA to anyplace else from NYC. And if you were booked in J, he’d bump you down, cheaper ticket and use a certificate he had to put you back up. (Even if the client was paying for the flight)
“I know what you’re doing, trying to spend enough to make GS!” He would say. Jeeez, I hated this guy!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

winginit

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 am

VC10er wrote:
winginit wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Well my old company was the exception then. A horrible little man hiding in a cube would review each and every travel itinerary. Enforcement of airline per route was strong. There had to be no other flight within a 3 hour window- or it was BA to LHR, UA to anyplace else from NYC. And if you were booked in J, he’d bump you down, cheaper ticket and use a certificate he had to put you back up. (Even if the client was paying for the flight)
“I know what you’re doing, trying to spend enough to make GS!” He would say. Jeeez, I hated this guy!

I would be curious to hear how large of a company that was, because I'm shocked to hear that a travel manager took oversight to that degree.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos