User avatar
SQ789
Topic Author
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Routesonline reports that Air Italy is removing BKK from end of March but will continue to serve BKK through it's partner Qatar Airways. Any possible reason why they are terminating BKK from network? To me, it looks like lower demand is the possible way they cannot manage to continue flying to/from BKK that long. After March 31, only TG will be the sole carrier to service flights between BKK and Italy.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... ok-in-s19/
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:31 pm

They're not making money so they're pulling out. It's no secret that yields to BKK are dreadful.
 
User avatar
SASViking
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:39 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Routesonline reports that Air Italy is removing BKK from end of March but will continue to serve BKK through it's partner Qatar Airways. Any possible reason why they are terminating BKK from network? To me, it looks like lower demand is the possible way they cannot manage to continue flying to/from BKK that long. After March 31, only TG will be the sole carrier to service flights between BKK and Italy.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... ok-in-s19/

The big problem with Europe-Thailand in general is that it's mostly leisure travellers and they want flights to be as cheap as possible. For that Thai, the ME3 and charter flights are the prefered choise for most. There's a lot of competition with little money to earn
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 pm

A leisure route at best, in a crowded, price depressed market. Not really a business route. No surprise here.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Where will that A330 go? Will it be used for one of the new routes? Or are we about to see yet another route announcement from IG?
A350/CSeries = bae
 
User avatar
SQ789
Topic Author
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:37 pm

OA940 wrote:
Where will that A330 go? Will it be used for one of the new routes? Or are we about to see yet another route announcement from IG?

I think their A330's should have been replaced by the 787's soon. I'm not sure which is the 787 variant, maybe 787-9?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3924
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 pm

SQ789 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Where will that A330 go? Will it be used for one of the new routes? Or are we about to see yet another route announcement from IG?

I think their A330's should have been replaced by the 787's soon. I'm not sure which is the 787 variant, maybe 787-9?


According to Wikipedia (not a reliable source, I know) the have the 787-8 on order. First delivery is planned for may this year. The 787s are indeed supposed to replace the A330s.
 
User avatar
SQ789
Topic Author
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Where will that A330 go? Will it be used for one of the new routes? Or are we about to see yet another route announcement from IG?

I think their A330's should have been replaced by the 787's soon. I'm not sure which is the 787 variant, maybe 787-9?


According to Wikipedia (not a reliable source, I know) the have the 787-8 on order. First delivery is planned for may this year. The 787s are indeed supposed to replace the A330s.

Hey PatrickZ80, I check it too before, I think these 787's must come from Qatar Airways according to those sources.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9483
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Yes, 788s will be transferred to Air Italy from Qatar as QR gets 789s.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 am

I hear the reason is simply that they need the aircraft for more profitable North American routes and likely expansion there, and given that QR can effectively fill the capacity on their behalf through DOH they are suspending BKK.
 
FatCat
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 am

I suppose IG will continue to serve BKK from MXP with intermediate stop in FCO with charter flights.
Leisure traffic is still quite dense between those destinations.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

Damn, that's disappointing.
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Air Italy pulls out of Bangkok

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:50 pm

MXP-BKK became a seasonal service for the winter season, is a logical strategy during the summer season, the returns in Thailand are very low, in addition to not yet reach the Boeing 787-8, which will be for Q4 when Qatar Airways receives the Boeing 787-9 and begins to replace 1-1, in addition to its fleet is very fair this summer with the addition of Chicago, Toronto, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos