behramjee
Topic Author
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Emirates announces network expansion for S19:

Accra increased from daily to 11 weekly

Dakar increased from four to 5 weekly

Boston upgraded to daily A380

Perth reduced from double daily to daily nonstop only

Sydney reduced from four to three daily with the Bangkok Sydney service cancelled

Abuja increased from four weekly to daily

São Paulo reduced from 11 weekly to daily

Rome third daily flight reinstated

Santiago reduced from 4 to 3 weekly

Source: https://www.emirates247.com/business/co ... PageLayout
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Plus as I saw in Flyertalk today. Here are more info in addition to up there: From 15 January, EK384/385 on DXB-BKK-HKG will be operated by the 777 instead of an A380 with EK352/353 on DXB-SIN gets upgraded to an A380 from the Boeing 777 at the same time. Also EK778/EK779 on DXB-CPT being cancelled from February 1.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
TutiFruiti
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Can this over all modifications regarded as expansion or reduction... put other way.. is Emirates facing pleasant winds or strong head winds??
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3183
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 pm

For SYD I am not surprised that they are cutting a daily frequency, but interesting that it has cut one of their long-standing 1-stop flights.

With all the capacity that was added into SYD (extra 1 daily QR, EY going to 2 x daily A380 and the 4th daily EK A380 flight), it was obvious that things were going to get messy. Now we see EY reducing capacity on one of their flights, and EK completely cutting a daily frequency.

PER is a dramatic fall for an airline that at one point had 3 x daily into that market. EY has come and gone in that market over that time but QR had moved up to an A380.
 
by738
Posts: 2918
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 pm

GLA upgrade of 2 daily to A380 seasonal for summer 19
 
behramjee
Topic Author
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

I find the frequency increase for Accra to be the most interesting. When the B781s come on board, this is an ideal route for it. By then ABJ hopefully is de linked from it as they should look into extending ABJ to either DKR, OUA or BKO.
 
dcajet
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Effective June 1st, EK is reducing its schedules in South America across the board.

* GRU goes from 12x w to 7x w A380

* EZE goes from 7x w to 4x w downgauged from the 77W to 77L

* SCL will now route via GIG instead of GRU and goes from 5x w to 3x w 77L

* GIG will see the same # of frequencies BUT will feature onward flights to EZE 4x w and to SCL 3x w., downgauged from the 77W to the 77L

It appears EK has reduced many other routes too. '

Is this related to construction at DXB or a realignment of their regional presence?

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 3514329092
Last edited by dcajet on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
ShinyAndChrome
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:53 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Brazil and Argentina's economies aren't doing so hot right now so that could be part of it. Since the SCL flight routes through Brazil, it would also be affected by any deterioration in that market.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2022
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Do you mean B78Ks?
 
dcajet
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 pm

ShinyAndChrome wrote:
Brazil and Argentina's economies aren't doing so hot right now so that could be part of it. Since the SCL flight routes through Brazil, it would also be affected by any deterioration in that market.


Certainly. Although loads to/from SCL have not been too hot either. Not at all.

Tons of competition also from Argentina and Brazil with EK, ET, QR and TK all pretty much fighting for the same piece of business.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17298
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:22 pm

The LHRPER nonstop probably zapped a lot of carriers’ higher yield volume to PER
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
Flightsimboy
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 pm

The heading is clearly misleading. It does not only deal with expansions. It had service reductions and cancellations included. Mods need to correct the title.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!
 
a350lover
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:38 pm

Very interesting topic. There are lots of competition from European carriers, but also between QR and EK themselves. The market they are touching is South-America/Asia? which in fact may not be that huge, if we compare SouthAmerica to Europe, which I bet it isn't flying through the Middle East hubs in majority.

I assume cargo must be playing a good part in the business of these routes and that might be related to weak economies there and political changes.

Ethiopian had some terribly low loads in the GRU-EZE sector.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:39 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
The LHRPER nonstop probably zapped a lot of carriers’ higher yield volume to PER


Really validates QF’s strategy. Their yields will probably get even better.
 
Blerg
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:49 pm

a350lover wrote:
Very interesting topic. There are lots of competition from European carriers, but also between QR and EK themselves. The market they are touching is South-America/Asia? which in fact may not be that huge, if we compare SouthAmerica to Europe, which I bet it isn't flying through the Middle East hubs in majority.

Ethiopian had some terribly low loads in the GRU-EZE sector.

Bingo!!
That is why TK is doing OK on EZE/GRU - they can take traffic to Europe. QR and EK cannot (without being a backtrack). ET is in the middle of the 2, with regards to geography for South America- Europe.
Asia is more of an exotic destination for Brazilians and Argentinians, with less business and family ties compared to Europe, meaning it suffers more during financial downturns.
EY already gave up un GRU. TK downsized (I believe temporarily?) a few years back. Now EK does the same. It is a tough market for all, with expensive tag-ons to operate. Let's see if all 4 fight it out in the ABC countries.
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
dcajet
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm

a350lover wrote:
Very interesting topic. There are lots of competition from European carriers, but also between QR and EK themselves. The market they are touching is South-America/Asia? which in fact may not be that huge, if we compare SouthAmerica to Europe, which I bet it isn't flying through the Middle East hubs in majority.

I assume cargo must be playing a good part in the business of these routes and that might be related to weak economies there and political changes.

Ethiopian had some terribly low loads in the GRU-EZE sector.


TK is the one that does the best as it can offer (and does) connections to scores of cities in Europe that ET and the ME2 can't match. So in effect, TK ends up competing with LA & AR and the Europeans on the deep South America-Europe routes. They also do very good business with demand to/from TLV to EZE & GRU.

ET I believe has improved its fortunes after a somewhat soft start. They have great fares to Israel and China, the latter being the market they are big on.

Asia is clearly a market both QR and EK are big on, but the fact is that it is faster to connect via the USA if your destination is Japan, Korea and Northern China. EK and QR have an advantage when it comes to traffic to India and the subcontinent, and to Thailand, Indonesia, etc.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
Airlinerdude
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

During the financial year 2019/20, Emirates will take delivery of six new Airbus A380 aircraft.

At the same time, the airline will be renewing its fleet by retiring seven older Boeing 777 aircraft.


This must be the first time in recent EK history where the fleet will have a net reduction YOY. I suspect a big part of this is due to EK's inability to attract enough talent to the flight deck.

Also, no mention of the fact that 13 77Ws were originally scheduled to leave the fleet during 2019. I wonder if we're going to see a quick exit of 6 77Ws between now and March.
 
a350lover
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

dcajet wrote:

TK is the one that does the best as it can offer (and does) connections to scores of cities in Europe that ET and the ME2 can't match. So in effect, TK ends up competing with LA & AR and the Europeans on the deep South America-Europe routes. They also do very good business with demand to/from TLV to EZE & GRU.

ET I believe has improved its fortunes after a somewhat soft start. They have great fares to Israel and China, the latter being the market they are big on.

Asia is clearly a market both QR and EK are big on, but the fact is that it is faster to connect via the USA if your destination is Japan, Korea and Northern China. EK and QR have an advantage when it comes to traffic to India and the subcontinent, and to Thailand, Indonesia, etc.


TK is every day more and more a pain in the _ _ _ for the Middle East carriers. I very much agree on what you say about the ability of TK to capture traffic towards the Eastern side of Europe mainly. Africa must be on the hands of them as well, plus Ethiopian which has a large network from Addis.

If QR and EK are mainly catching traffic towards Thailand or Indonesia, that doesn't make one think of high yields in the premium cabins. It'll be interesting to see next steps.

On the other hand, despite the ultra-long-haul developing quite fast around the globe, none of the three big players in the Middle East has yet announced any other non-stop connection to South America other than cities in Brazil. They still keep the network to the region using GIG or GRU as the gateaway to South America. Exception would be just TK who flies to BOG 3x/w. Do you believe at some point TK could either fly "down under" towards EZE or SCL non-stop?
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?

EK used to fly 2 daily flights to Boston, but cut the second flight some time ago, after the laptop ban, and other issues. However, the flight has been doing really well recently with healthy loads well above 90%. A lot of traffic to India and Africa to/from Boston.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23552
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Per EK statement:

“Emirates can confirm that it will be required to reduce its operating schedule by approximately 28%, as single runway operations necessitate capacity cuts from airlines operating at DXB.”
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
dcajet
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:28 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

TK is the one that does the best as it can offer (and does) connections to scores of cities in Europe that ET and the ME2 can't match. So in effect, TK ends up competing with LA & AR and the Europeans on the deep South America-Europe routes. They also do very good business with demand to/from TLV to EZE & GRU.

ET I believe has improved its fortunes after a somewhat soft start. They have great fares to Israel and China, the latter being the market they are big on.

Asia is clearly a market both QR and EK are big on, but the fact is that it is faster to connect via the USA if your destination is Japan, Korea and Northern China. EK and QR have an advantage when it comes to traffic to India and the subcontinent, and to Thailand, Indonesia, etc.


TK is every day more and more a pain in the _ _ _ for the Middle East carriers. I very much agree on what you say about the ability of TK to capture traffic towards the Eastern side of Europe mainly. Africa must be on the hands of them as well, plus Ethiopian which has a large network from Addis.

If QR and EK are mainly catching traffic towards Thailand or Indonesia, that doesn't make one think of high yields in the premium cabins. It'll be interesting to see next steps.

On the other hand, despite the ultra-long-haul developing quite fast around the globe, none of the three big players in the Middle East has yet announced any other non-stop connection to South America other than cities in Brazil. They still keep the network to the region using GIG or GRU as the gateaway to South America. Exception would be just TK who flies to BOG 3x/w. Do you believe at some point TK could either fly "down under" towards EZE or SCL non-stop?


You would be surprised to learn about the number of folks from EZE that don't think twice about taking TK for their travels to France or Germany or even Spain if the fare is competitive. TK also throws in an Istambul city tour. It has to be the same situation in GRU.

To clarify, of course EK and QR take traffic to all Asia, not just Thailand, India, etc. My point was that the high yielding FQTV will go via the USA if the destination is Japan or other points in Northern Asia. It is considerably faster and the loyalty factor weighs in with airlines such as AA, UA or DL.

I have no doubts that TK will fly nonstop to EZE at some point in the future, given their current success. I would imagine SCL is a possibility, but a distant one. We are talking about an ULH flight that would call for a 787-9. I don't see QR or EK flying nonstop to EZE for the time being, a DXB-EZE is up there, distance-wise, with a DXB-AKL.
Last edited by dcajet on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
dcajet
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Per EK statement:

“Emirates can confirm that it will be required to reduce its operating schedule by approximately 28%, as single runway operations necessitate capacity cuts from airlines operating at DXB.”


I believe runway work @ DXB should be completed by the time the South American changes go in effect, in July. Glad to be proven wrong though!
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
smartplane
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:43 pm

dcajet wrote:
TK is the one that does the best as it can offer (and does) connections to scores of cities in Europe that ET and the ME2 can't match. So in effect, TK ends up competing with LA & AR and the Europeans on the deep South America-Europe routes. They also do very good business with demand to/from TLV to EZE & GRU.

Asia is clearly a market both QR and EK are big on, but the fact is that it is faster to connect via the USA if your destination is Japan, Korea and Northern China. EK and QR have an advantage when it comes to traffic to India and the subcontinent, and to Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

Not for freight.

Faster to ship via IST and USA in theory. In practice, delays, hold overs and losses are far greater, plus with DXB rewarding fast transhipment, cheaper too.

Airport maintenance and general capacity impediments are holding DXB back.
 
a350lover
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 pm

The aussie drops must be painful. Australia was/is a super niche for Emirates but the project SunRise, the current LHR-PER and the coming non-stop ultra-long-haul routes are going to be tough for Emirates.
 
dcajet
Posts: 3847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pm

smartplane wrote:
dcajet wrote:
TK is the one that does the best as it can offer (and does) connections to scores of cities in Europe that ET and the ME2 can't match. So in effect, TK ends up competing with LA & AR and the Europeans on the deep South America-Europe routes. They also do very good business with demand to/from TLV to EZE & GRU.

Asia is clearly a market both QR and EK are big on, but the fact is that it is faster to connect via the USA if your destination is Japan, Korea and Northern China. EK and QR have an advantage when it comes to traffic to India and the subcontinent, and to Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

Not for freight.

Faster to ship via IST and USA in theory. In practice, delays, hold overs and losses are far greater, plus with DXB rewarding fast transhipment, cheaper too.

Airport maintenance and general capacity impediments are holding DXB back.


Qatar Airways Cargo operates a daily service to EZE with their 77Fs. I believe routing is QTR-LUX-VCP-EZE.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
jomur
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 pm

by738 wrote:
GLA upgrade of 2 daily to A380 seasonal for summer 19


For a moment there I thought you meant that there will be 2 A380 flights daily, not 1 A380 and 1 B777 as stated in the press release. This was announced a few weeks ago.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1937
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?


Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.
 
Arion640
Posts: 2361
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 pm

by738 wrote:
GLA upgrade of 2 daily to A380 seasonal for summer 19


And a 777 at EDI too? Fascinating.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.
 
x1234
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Also don't forget that Aeromexico/ANA now flight 2x daily MEX-NRT-MEX and AM also does 4x weeekly MEX-MTY-ICN-MEX and 3x weekly MEX-TIJ-PVG-MEX.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3034
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?


Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.


There's just a lot of reasons why BOS-DXB works - Higher Education has to be the main reason BOS-DXB will be A380 in December/January.

They were first of ME3 to show up in BOS.

60K Foreign Born Indians in Massachusetts.

People tend to forget the rest of the Middle-East as part of EK's network especially Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and the O+D UAE itself generates. Those nations' wealthy come to Boston for education and "health tourism" too. They probably fill the front of the plane more than anyone. I've also heard of Israelis who hate LY that drive to Amman-Jordan and fly EK to USA.

EK also serves SE Asia quite well from BOS - especially Thailand/Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore. CX BOS-HKG is better for Cambodia (big market!!!) /Vietnam/Philippines.

For Africa - Kenya is the biggest VFR wise though EK may get some Ghana (another large VFR group in Greater Boston) though BOS-DXB-ACC is bit out of the way. I'm sure tourism to safari locations has been stimulated by ME3 in BOS.

Finally the B6 partnership helps too.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
smi0006
Posts: 2201
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
For SYD I am not surprised that they are cutting a daily frequency, but interesting that it has cut one of their long-standing 1-stop flights.

With all the capacity that was added into SYD (extra 1 daily QR, EY going to 2 x daily A380 and the 4th daily EK A380 flight), it was obvious that things were going to get messy. Now we see EY reducing capacity on one of their flights, and EK completely cutting a daily frequency.

PER is a dramatic fall for an airline that at one point had 3 x daily into that market. EY has come and gone in that market over that time but QR had moved up to an A380.


It does make sense also considering they now don’t have feed from NZ as much as it goes on their direct service. Of course QF still feed. I wonder if QF will add any capacity to BKK? Hasn’t TG also reduced? I would have thought it could handle more than a 330 from QF and TG744. Wouldn’t surprise me if a new entrant opens this up as a one stop eg TK IST-BKK-SYD.

PER is an interesting one- what aircraft did they fly in when it was a 3 daily? Be interesting to see any further impact if QF were to open CDG,FRA and again amount of east coast traffic filling seats.
 
incitatus
Posts: 3289
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:15 am

LAXintl wrote:
Per EK statement:

“Emirates can confirm that it will be required to reduce its operating schedule by approximately 28%, as single runway operations necessitate capacity cuts from airlines operating at DXB.”


For the reduction in South America service, the runway construction is nothing but an excuse. Airlines are seeing a continuous deterioration of traffic in GIG because the city's economy is not growing and potential tourists are scared away with the violence. Argentina's upcoming boom turned into a pop and the foreign investment expectations were way out of line with reality.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am

Is the discussion about shortage of crews in play here? In other words, might Boston have gotten its A380 without an Australian cut if not for that?
 
klm617
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 am

ShinyAndChrome wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?


Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.


It's also worth mentioning that from the US Northeast, the Gulf is a viable option for connecting to SE Asia. Maybe not the best yield numbers given the distance, but useful for filling out the plane.

klm617 wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
What about Detroit??

Asking for a friend... :stirthepot: :hissyfit: :lol:



Yes Detroit is LONG overdue for an ME3 carrier.


He's making fun of you my dude.



That may be but it doesn't change the truth.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
redroo
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 am

smi0006 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
For SYD I am not surprised that they are cutting a daily frequency, but interesting that it has cut one of their long-standing 1-stop flights.

With all the capacity that was added into SYD (extra 1 daily QR, EY going to 2 x daily A380 and the 4th daily EK A380 flight), it was obvious that things were going to get messy. Now we see EY reducing capacity on one of their flights, and EK completely cutting a daily frequency.

PER is a dramatic fall for an airline that at one point had 3 x daily into that market. EY has come and gone in that market over that time but QR had moved up to an A380.


It does make sense also considering they now don’t have feed from NZ as much as it goes on their direct service. Of course QF still feed. I wonder if QF will add any capacity to BKK? Hasn’t TG also reduced? I would have thought it could handle more than a 330 from QF and TG744. Wouldn’t surprise me if a new entrant opens this up as a one stop eg TK IST-BKK-SYD.

PER is an interesting one- what aircraft did they fly in when it was a 3 daily? Be interesting to see any further impact if QF were to open CDG,FRA and again amount of east coast traffic filling seats.


The 3rd flight to Perth was always crazy. It didn’t last lost.

The QF9 is commanding a substantial yield premium and it being filled day in and day out. I just looked and both Emirates and Qatar were offering silly fares 700 GBP/1200 AUD. Qantas wanted 500 GBP more and only flex tickets were available.
 
waoz1
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:15 am

redroo wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
For SYD I am not surprised that they are cutting a daily frequency, but interesting that it has cut one of their long-standing 1-stop flights.

With all the capacity that was added into SYD (extra 1 daily QR, EY going to 2 x daily A380 and the 4th daily EK A380 flight), it was obvious that things were going to get messy. Now we see EY reducing capacity on one of their flights, and EK completely cutting a daily frequency.

PER is a dramatic fall for an airline that at one point had 3 x daily into that market. EY has come and gone in that market over that time but QR had moved up to an A380.


It does make sense also considering they now don’t have feed from NZ as much as it goes on their direct service. Of course QF still feed. I wonder if QF will add any capacity to BKK? Hasn’t TG also reduced? I would have thought it could handle more than a 330 from QF and TG744. Wouldn’t surprise me if a new entrant opens this up as a one stop eg TK IST-BKK-SYD.

PER is an interesting one- what aircraft did they fly in when it was a 3 daily? Be interesting to see any further impact if QF were to open CDG,FRA and again amount of east coast traffic filling seats.




The 3rd flight to Perth was always crazy. It didn’t last lost.

The QF9 is commanding a substantial yield premium and it being filled day in and day out. I just looked and both Emirates and Qatar were offering silly fares 700 GBP/1200 AUD. Qantas wanted 500 GBP more and only flex tickets were available.


Going to be harder if QF add PER-CDG, I know friends are preferring SQ/QF at the moment for Europe.
I am pretty sure at one stage EK it was 2 x A388s, then 1 X A388 plus 1 X 773 and 1 x 772
Last edited by waoz1 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1269
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 am

adamh8297 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?


Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.


There's just a lot of reasons why BOS-DXB works - Higher Education has to be the main reason BOS-DXB will be A380 in December/January.

They were first of ME3 to show up in BOS.

60K Foreign Born Indians in Massachusetts.

People tend to forget the rest of the Middle-East as part of EK's network especially Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and the O+D UAE itself generates. Those nations' wealthy come to Boston for education and "health tourism" too. They probably fill the front of the plane more than anyone. I've also heard of Israelis who hate LY that drive to Amman-Jordan and fly EK to USA.

EK also serves SE Asia quite well from BOS - especially Thailand/Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore...


Indeed.
I flew EK J over the holidays to/from Thailand/Myanmar and the plane was packed with Europeans (from SE Asia to DXB) and people from India going to Boston. The Europeans were very trashy though: behaving like they owned the plane, clad with fake jewelry and doused with perfume :thumbsdown:
I'm not quite sure I want to experience that again.
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 am

Here is another report in South America changes. From June 1:

* SCL will operate via GIG instead of GRU

* GRU goes from 12x w to 7x w A380

* EZE goes from 7x w to 4x w downgauged from the 77W to 77L

* GIG will see the same # of frequencies BUT will feature onward flights to EZE 4x and to SCL 3x, downgauged from the 77W to the 77L.

Routes that are changing to 77L means First Class offers is cancelled.

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 3514329092
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6428
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 am

Looks like EK is throwing its entire 77L fleet at South America, probably in lieu of reducing frequencies even further. It's hard when big markets suddenly get thinner, and your crosstown competition has an army of 789s to serve them...
 
HB-IWC
Posts: 4078
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2000 1:09 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:46 am

seabosdca wrote:
Looks like EK is throwing its entire 77L fleet at South America, probably in lieu of reducing frequencies even further. It's hard when big markets suddenly get thinner, and your crosstown competition has an army of 789s to serve them...


Its entire 77L fleet? Emirates will operate one daily 77L to South America.
 
Flightsimboy
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 am

Not sure if it didn't post correctly.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-12jan19/
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!
 
emiratesdriver
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 am

A combination of softer demand in Australasia, stronger yields out of Africa and the on-going pressure on crewing levels. The one thing you have to give credit to EK management is their ability to react fairly quickly to changing demand patterns and to identify issues. That being said the A380 fleet is now critically short of flightcrew, 81 were recruited in September and October balanced against 74 who left. The 777 with its current fleet reduction has meant that flying hours have reduced to more manageable levels.
EK have recently unsuccessfully attempted to target EY pilots who are surplus to requirements, couple this ongoing shortages in the US and EU and an unwillingness of 1st world pilots with significant experience wanting to join means you can expect to see and hear more pilots from South America and South Asia.
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 am

seabosdca wrote:
Looks like EK is throwing its entire 77L fleet at South America, probably in lieu of reducing frequencies even further. It's hard when big markets suddenly get thinner, and your crosstown competition has an army of 789s to serve them...

Not really, except for GRU which will continue on the A380. 77L also served FLL in USA. I don't think their entire 77L to South America.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
Blerg
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 am

Why is there such an issue with crew at EK? Are they unhappy with working conditions and pay? I thought working for EK wasn't that bad compared to some other airlines out there.
 
migair54
Posts: 2397
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 am

Casablanca is also going 2xday and EK cargo is starting Bogota in partnership with Avianca, it will be BOG-MST.

I think some of this changes are seasonal and happen every year or almost every year, for example ATH, DME.

HB-IWC wrote:
Its entire 77L fleet? Emirates will operate one daily 77L to South America.

only 1 daily to South America, FLL is also B77L destination, by the way these planes have the new configuration with 2 class 28/264 with 2-2-2 in business class.

Dieuwer wrote:
Indeed.
I flew EK J over the holidays to/from Thailand/Myanmar and the plane was packed with Europeans (from SE Asia to DXB) and people from India going to Boston. The Europeans were very trashy though: behaving like they owned the plane, clad with fake jewelry and doused with perfume
I'm not quite sure I want to experience that again

Then you should not go to Thailand, I think the airline was not the problem. Personally I find Thailand very crowded with cheap tourism, I like Vietnam a lot more and Malaysia also.

behramjee wrote:
I find the frequency increase for Accra to be the most interesting. When the B781s come on board, this is an ideal route for it. By then ABJ hopefully is de linked from it as they should look into extending ABJ to either DKR, OUA or BKO.


Actually I think with the B787 we could see some more routes in Africa, maybe Kinshasha, Maputo, Antananarivo. and for sure some dedicated services, I think DSS will be a non stop, and as you said ABJ will be served with some other tag, maybe a return to Kano.
OUA get some freighter flights but I don't think we will see any EK pax plane operating there any time soon.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:52 am

Jouhou wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?


Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.


EK doesn't fly to BOS because of "life sciences" and "education." They fly there because B6 has a massive hub and is perfectly located for capturing US feed that connects onto EK.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1937
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Interesting about Boston getting the A380. Who are they mostly carrying here? Is there really that much demand to India and Africa?


Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.


EK doesn't fly to BOS because of "life sciences" and "education." They fly there because B6 has a massive hub and is perfectly located for capturing US feed that connects onto EK.


https://airwaysmag.com/industry/analysi ... perations/

False. They fly there because of the O&D. Anything else just helps fill the plane.
 
C010T3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 am

ShinyAndChrome wrote:
Brazil and Argentina's economies aren't doing so hot right now so that could be part of it. Since the SCL flight routes through Brazil, it would also be affected by any deterioration in that market.


If SCL had demand, the 77W would be used on the days the flights is operated there.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Jouhou wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.


EK doesn't fly to BOS because of "life sciences" and "education." They fly there because B6 has a massive hub and is perfectly located for capturing US feed that connects onto EK.


https://airwaysmag.com/industry/analysi ... perations/

False. They fly there because of the O&D. Anything else just helps fill the plane.


Exactly. If B6 connections were the only reason, they could do that out of JFK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos