klm617

Re: Emirates announces 2019 expansion outline

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Jouhou wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Boston is a global hub for life sciences and education. While only the affluent in India and Africa might be able to afford to travel internationally, they would have a reason to come to Boston. And plenty of business travellers of U.S. origin have reasons to travel to those places.

EK doesn't fly to BOS because of "life sciences" and "education." They fly there because B6 has a massive hub and is perfectly located for capturing US feed that connects onto EK.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/analysi ... perations/

False. They fly there because of the O&D. Anything else just helps fill the plane.

Correct BOS-DXB is sustainable on it's own but B6 makes it an A380. Without B6 the flight would be a smaller gauge of aircraft.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

emiratesdriver

Re: Emirates announces 2019 schedule changes

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Blerg wrote:
Why is there such an issue with crew at EK? Are they unhappy with working conditions and pay? I thought working for EK wasn't that bad compared to some other airlines out there.

Blerg, hell yes and yes, working at EK is akin to being employed by a boss with 0 morals, 0 checks and balances that is constantly looking at ways to make you work harder and take money off you.

worldranger

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Is the discussion about shortage of crews in play here? In other words, might Boston have gotten its A380 without an Australian cut if not for that?

The crew shortage has become less of an issue going forward, healthy recruitment from August onwards surprisingly has meant classes are full (based on written commitment) for the next 4-6mos.

A number of factors at play;
-With WOW, Primera & possibly NOR in trouble along with some smaller airlines,(VLM, Darwin) there has been less of a flight to Europe and more guys interested in coming to a stable employer.
- China paperwork and contractor issues - HNA has dropped the agencies - continue.
- most of the Americans at EK have been swooped up already.

The big issues now for EK going fwd are:
- TK
-Hub bypass , QF PER etc
- yield eradication due competition, QR, TK
- Fleet/market mismatch

EK will increasingly need to go to smaller or more fringe destinations - this is where a 789 is needed and I’d expect some news there in the next 12-18mos. New launched with a 77W are a tough sell hence FD 737 to Kinshasa/ HEL to develop etc to develop market.

BCN-MEX back on cards.

Of the big three on STCs wish list - more Canada, Germany & India - only one is realistically achievable.

Look for more nimble moves with markets and aircraft on a regular basis.

parapente

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Look for more nimble moves with markets and aircraft on a regular basis.

Yup think that's right.Some 789's would not surprise me.
Having said that they are clearly prepared to go toe to toe with competitors using large aircaft on primary routes and slug it out.
There will eventually be blood on the floor and likely to be more of their competitors imho.

Yup might as well forget Canada just not going to happen.India looks like it will.Germany,hard to tell.Again secondary cities would be the place to go,the argument is harder for the German government.
A lot depends on exactly what landing and take off capacity they will have in ( say) 2020.We now know that development of the new Airport has been put on hold.Personally not sure of what their ( useful/ time integrated) slots are.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

EK doesn't fly to BOS because of "life sciences" and "education." They fly there because B6 has a massive hub and is perfectly located for capturing US feed that connects onto EK.

False. They fly there because of the O&D. Anything else just helps fill the plane.

Exactly. If B6 connections were the only reason, they could do that out of JFK.

I guess B6 3x daily BOS-DTW service start on the same day was a coincidence.
So, why was it cut from 2x daily to one and why is this only a seasonal upgrade.
EK carries only 19% of US-India traffic. They make it look like 110%.

Fact is BOS is far better for connecting passengers. No one is looking for a JFK connection.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

So, why was it cut from 2x daily to one and why is this only a seasonal upgrade.

Fact is BOS is far better for connecting passengers. No one is looking for a JFK connection.

BOS doesn't have a direct connection to India. In all the massport presentations it's clear that Mumbai and Delhi are among the top unserved destinations for our O&D traffic, and have been for years. It comes as no surprise that EK has cashed in on that.

EChid

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:03 pm

waoz1 wrote:
redroo wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

It does make sense also considering they now don’t have feed from NZ as much as it goes on their direct service. Of course QF still feed. I wonder if QF will add any capacity to BKK? Hasn’t TG also reduced? I would have thought it could handle more than a 330 from QF and TG744. Wouldn’t surprise me if a new entrant opens this up as a one stop eg TK IST-BKK-SYD.

PER is an interesting one- what aircraft did they fly in when it was a 3 daily? Be interesting to see any further impact if QF were to open CDG,FRA and again amount of east coast traffic filling seats.

The 3rd flight to Perth was always crazy. It didn’t last lost.

The QF9 is commanding a substantial yield premium and it being filled day in and day out. I just looked and both Emirates and Qatar were offering silly fares 700 GBP/1200 AUD. Qantas wanted 500 GBP more and only flex tickets were available.

Going to be harder if QF add PER-CDG, I know friends are preferring SQ/QF at the moment for Europe.
I am pretty sure at one stage EK it was 2 x A388s, then 1 X A388 plus 1 X 773 and 1 x 772

Yes, EK as a brand seems to be well regarded by my Australian friends...but DXB is not well liked for those who have transited there once. I find most of them did it once or twice, and then book SQ or QF (also highly regarded brands) due to the transfer in SIN, a superior airport. At least, this is what I've heard from them. I think this has contributed slightly to the reductions in demand.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

dcajet

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

incitatus wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Per EK statement:

“Emirates can confirm that it will be required to reduce its operating schedule by approximately 28%, as single runway operations necessitate capacity cuts from airlines operating at DXB.”

For the reduction in South America service, the runway construction is nothing but an excuse. Airlines are seeing a continuous deterioration of traffic in GIG because the city's economy is not growing and potential tourists are scared away with the violence. Argentina's upcoming boom turned into a pop and the foreign investment expectations were way out of line with reality.
'

This. And in GRU & EZE terribly depressed yields due to cut throat competition from QR, TK and ET all fighting, in varying degrees, for the same piece of business.

To continue growing in Latin America and to regain the regional leadership position it once had, now lost to the likes of TK, EK needs something smaller and more efficient than the 777 & 380 to operate efficiently year-round. The 787-9 would be ideal.
Last edited by dcajet on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

xwb777

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 pm

HB-IWC wrote:
Its entire 77L fleet? Emirates will operate one daily 77L to South America.

only 1 daily to South America, FLL is also B77L destination, by the way these planes have the new configuration with 2 class 28/264 with 2-2-2 in business class.

Actually its 38/264.

EChid

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
behramjee wrote:
When the B781s come on board, this is an ideal route for it. By then ABJ hopefully is de linked from it as they should look into extending ABJ to either DKR, OUA or BKO.
Do you mean B78Ks?

The funniest thing about this unnecessary (although common, on a.net) pedantry is that it's not even correct. The ICAO 787-10 code is B78X, and the IATA code is 781 (although I know 78J has been somewhat common as well). But we all already knew what behramjee was talking about, didn't we? :roll:

And yes, I'm sure EK is very much looking forward to having some additional flexibility in their fleet.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

WPvsMW

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for your antipedantry. Let's hope B781 prevails.

ramzi

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Jouhou wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

BOS doesn't have a direct connection to India. In all the massport presentations it's clear that Mumbai and Delhi are among the top unserved destinations for our O&D traffic, and have been for years. It comes as no surprise that EK has cashed in on that.

Its also not so surprising that just a couple of weeks after QR upguaged BOS to 77W, EK finally upguaged to A380.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Jouhou wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

BOS-India PDEW is 199 according to the article posted above. EK(12+ cities), QR(12+ cities), and BA(5 cities) offer one-stops. That is about 1000 available seats without A380.
Every aviation hub dweller has this imaginary theory that it is just their O&D driving the market, you are not alone.

AF022

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 pm

behramjee wrote:
Emirates announces network expansion for S19:

Dakar increased from four to 5 weekly

Source: https://www.emirates247.com/business/co ... PageLayout

I'm surprised by this. I thought DKR was really weak for them. Didn't they try to drop this route before but the Senegalese convinced them to stay? It is an odd route for EK.

chrisnh

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 pm

ramzi wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Its also not so surprising that just a couple of weeks after QR upguaged BOS to 77W, EK finally upguaged to A380.

To be fair, there will be more than six months between these two events, so I don’t see EK’s move being really any sort of ‘response’ to QR...otherwise, the A380 would have come sooner.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

BOS-India PDEW is 199 according to the article posted above. EK(12+ cities), QR(12+ cities), and BA(5 cities) offer one-stops. That is about 1000 available seats without A380.
Every aviation hub dweller has this imaginary theory that it is just their O&D driving the market, you are not alone.

The article is from 2013. I was waiting for someone to pop in with the current O&D numbers. It's a bit ridiculous that people want to make the point of "Your city sucks, no one wants to go there, you must be lying about O&D traffic". Boston is consistently rated as one of the world's top global cities.

CXfirst

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 pm

smi0006 wrote:

PER is an interesting one- what aircraft did they fly in when it was a 3 daily? Be interesting to see any further impact if QF were to open CDG,FRA and again amount of east coast traffic filling seats.

Most of the period it was 2x77W and 1xA388. The 3rd flight fell away the last time EK reduced flights due to runway works, and instead made it 2xA388. Can't remember exactly, but there might have been a short overlap where it was 1x77W and 2xA388.

EK424/425 changed back to a 77W early 2017 (perhaps it was late 2016). Sad to see that flight disappear.

tkoenig95

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm

I wonder if DFW will see the switch to the A380? EK and QR both picked up slack left by the exit of EY.

klm617

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
I wonder if DFW will see the switch to the A380? EK and QR both picked up slack left by the exit of EY.

The reason EY left DFW is because the market was over saturated.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

adamh8297

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 pm

klm617 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

Or the fallout with AA...

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... t.amp.html
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

EvanWSFO

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 pm

EChid wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
redroo wrote:

The QF9 is commanding a substantial yield premium and it being filled day in and day out. I just looked and both Emirates and Qatar were offering silly fares 700 GBP/1200 AUD. Qantas wanted 500 GBP more and only flex tickets were available.

Going to be harder if QF add PER-CDG, I know friends are preferring SQ/QF at the moment for Europe.
I am pretty sure at one stage EK it was 2 x A388s, then 1 X A388 plus 1 X 773 and 1 x 772

Yes, EK as a brand seems to be well regarded by my Australian friends...but DXB is not well liked for those who have transited there once. I find most of them did it once or twice, and then book SQ or QF (also highly regarded brands) due to the transfer in SIN, a superior airport. At least, this is what I've heard from them. I think this has contributed slightly to the reductions in demand.

The 02:00 bank at DXB is a nightmare. No amount of shiny, fancy amenities can make up for the stifling multitude of humanity making connections.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

klm617

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 am

adamh8297 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

QR got the same notice and is still there if that was the case they would have left too and EK downgraded from an A380 to a 777 . The DFW Middle East market was over saturated.

The decision comes five months after Fort Worth-based American (NYSE: AAL) notified both Etihad and fellow Gulf carrier Qatar Airways of its intent to cut code-sharing in March.

adamh8297

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 am

klm617 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

QR got the same notice and is still there if that was the case they would have left too and EK downgraded from an A380 to a 777 . The DFW Middle East market was over saturated.

The decision comes five months after Fort Worth-based American (NYSE: AAL) notified both Etihad and fellow Gulf carrier Qatar Airways of its intent to cut code-sharing in March.

QR and AA still interline. They have to per OW membership rules.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

EarlyLateORD

Re: Major Emirates schedule reduction in South America

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 am

dcajet wrote:
ShinyAndChrome wrote:
Brazil and Argentina's economies aren't doing so hot right now so that could be part of it. Since the SCL flight routes through Brazil, it would also be affected by any deterioration in that market.

Certainly. Although loads to/from SCL have not been too hot either. Not at all.

Tons of competition also from Argentina and Brazil with EK, ET, QR and TK all pretty much fighting for the same piece of business.

Exactly, there is just loads of competition in a corridor that really has only existed for 7 or so years, EZE to the Middle East/Africa. Historically all international overseas traffic from EZE went either through JNB/CPT, Europe, USA, or SCL/Auckland/Sydney.

Adam

Thorkel

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 am

redroo wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
For SYD I am not surprised that they are cutting a daily frequency, but interesting that it has cut one of their long-standing 1-stop flights.

With all the capacity that was added into SYD (extra 1 daily QR, EY going to 2 x daily A380 and the 4th daily EK A380 flight), it was obvious that things were going to get messy. Now we see EY reducing capacity on one of their flights, and EK completely cutting a daily frequency.

PER is a dramatic fall for an airline that at one point had 3 x daily into that market. EY has come and gone in that market over that time but QR had moved up to an A380.

It does make sense also considering they now don’t have feed from NZ as much as it goes on their direct service. Of course QF still feed. I wonder if QF will add any capacity to BKK? Hasn’t TG also reduced? I would have thought it could handle more than a 330 from QF and TG744. Wouldn’t surprise me if a new entrant opens this up as a one stop eg TK IST-BKK-SYD.

And it’s not just QF9. With QF1/2 going through Singapore, us Perthians now have two daily options to stay on QF metal to LHR. It’s less than 12 months ago when there were zero options to go QF metal all the way PER to LHR.

qf789

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 am

CXfirst wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Most of the period it was 2x77W and 1xA388. The 3rd flight fell away the last time EK reduced flights due to runway works, and instead made it 2xA388. Can't remember exactly, but there might have been a short overlap where it was 1x77W and 2xA388.

EK424/425 changed back to a 77W early 2017 (perhaps it was late 2016). Sad to see that flight disappear.

No it wasnt. EK420/421 was upgraded to A388 on 1 May 2015, the third daily service which was operated by 77L/77W EK422/423 ended on the 2nd July 2015 as a result of the A388 being added there would have been too much capacity offering 3 flights, since then only 2 daily flights have been offered apart from seasonal changes

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/emi ... -in-perth/
Forum Moderator

migair54

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:39 am

xwb777 wrote:
HB-IWC wrote:
Its entire 77L fleet? Emirates will operate one daily 77L to South America.

only 1 daily to South America, FLL is also B77L destination, by the way these planes have the new configuration with 2 class 28/264 with 2-2-2 in business class.

Actually its 38/264.

True, I knew but I don't know why I type 28. [quote="dtw2hyd"]BOS-India PDEW is 199 according to the article posted above. EK(12+ cities), QR(12+ cities), and BA(5 cities) offer one-stops. That is about 1000 available seats without A380.
Every aviation hub dweller has this imaginary theory that it is just their O&D driving the market, you are not alone.[/quo te]

The success of EK in BOS is not only because of India, it's because all the options, places like Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. At the end what many people call indians, many times are people from some of this other countries.

I have to agree that one of the main problems for EK right now is the lack of space in DXB, parking bays, terminal space, slots, the airport is really saturated and even in EK-FZ want to transfer most pax the situation is not easy being in the opposite sides of the airport, that makes connecting difficult and quite long. I don't really know what the plan for 2021 when the fleet expands with the B787, because I think the B77X will be just to replace the b77W.

B752OS

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:41 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Yes B6 connects passengers to/from EK's DXB flights in BOS, no one is debating that. The point that EK only flies DXB-BOS-DXB for B6 connections is false.

There's a number of other countries this flight taps into - Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh for example. It's not just about India.

B1168

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
EChid wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

The 02:00 bank at DXB is a nightmare. No amount of shiny, fancy amenities can make up for the stifling multitude of humanity making connections.

Yeah... should I pick between DXB and DOH, I will go DOH for a less crowded and better timed ride.
I can’t recall any other major airport (excluding TIJ) outside Middle East to have banks this late.
Also, when talking about Australian transfer affair, never forget the existence of the Pearl River Delta with another 5 star and an extraordinary low fare seller.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos