sonicruiser
Topic Author

Why is SQ non-stop flying to EWR and not JFK like the other flight via FRA?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific reason SQ is flying to EWR and not JFK? I was under the impression that UA and SQ don't really get along much, thus it wouldn't make a difference if they flew to EWR or JFK. And terminal B which SQ uses at EWR can be kindly described as dreadful while T4 at JFK is much nicer and where SQ already has an operation. What am I missing?
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading

MalevTU134

Re: Why is SQ flying to EWR and not JFK?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:47 pm

You are missing SQ's SIN-FRA-JFK flight that they have flown for decades.

David_itl

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:47 pm

SQ25 SIN-FRA-JFK is what you're missing.

TheLunchbox

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Maybe the better question OP is trying to ask is.. "Why are they flying non-stop to EWR and not JFK?"

aldrigsomandre

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Slot availability?
Also, EWR is closer to Manhattan.

stlgph

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:00 pm

If aesthetics were a reason to not fly somewhere, no airline in the world would fly to JFK, LaGuardia or Newark.

Finally, Islip would get some love.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Flighty

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:00 pm

The simplest reason, and best reason that comes to mind is that UAL operates a Star Alliance hub at EWR that can be used to feed the SQ flight.

When the EWR nonstop service was first announced, SQ had a road show in the terminal at LGA (!) with their business class seat and some "flight attendants" there to hopefully drum up interest among the New York business traffic.

flyer1225

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Flighty wrote:
The simplest reason, and best reason that comes to mind is that UAL operates a Star Alliance hub at EWR that can be used to feed the SQ flight.

If I remember correctly, the only SQ codeshare agreement with UA is on flights to/from their Houston hub - though I'm sure they have interlining agreements otherwise, I doubt that EWR's a transit point rather than an O/D source for a majority of passengers on SQ 21/22.

Plus, in response to the other people above, the OP mentioned SQ's JFK services - though my best guess for their EWR nonstop operations would be the relative speed/proximity to northern NJ/Manhattan.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

blacksoviet

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:40 pm

What equipment does SQ use on the JFK flight?

mict

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:50 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
What equipment does SQ use on the JFK flight?

A380

danj555

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:51 am

United got in those cheeky jabs early with SFO and LAX flights, but Singapore Air is having the last laugh, they got the US on lock going to Singapore.

LAX772LR

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 am

Flighty wrote:

When SQ first chose an NYC airport for the nonstops, EWR was a SkyTeam hub of CO's.

They operated it for 9yrs, haitus for 5, then returned.

Star Alliance feed may be a factor, but it's demonstrably not a top one..... try booking a J seat on the nonstop via UA or with UA miles. It's theoretically possible, but you'll be there for a while.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jfk777

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 am

Singapore flying its nonstop to Newark is a bit of a mystery, EWR has always been nonstop & JFK has been one -stop. Why not fly nonstop to JFK since UA does nothing for SQ at Newark. New York besides Tokyo is the only city where Singapore Airlines has a split operation. Maybe some one has a better answer ?

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 am

I am aware of the one-stop JFK which is why I stated in the OP that they already have an operation out of T4. Thus, it is an even bigger mystery why they would go with EWR considering they already have a team based at JFK for the existing flight which could be used for the second flight as well instead of setting up a completely different one over at EWR. I also said that it is not likely that SQ chose EWR on the basis of being a Star hub as they don't have any serious linkup with UA.

I guess to rephrase what I'm asking: If SQ didn't pick EWR on the basis of being a Star hub, why did they pick EWR when JFK already has existing SQ ops?

StudiodeKadent

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 am

EWR is slightly closer to SIN than JFK is. The difference is marginal however.

Maybe SQ wanted to give passengers a choice of airport? Several airlines fly to both Heathrow and Gatwick, so couldn't this be thought of as a similar thing?

Alternatively it could be a slot timing issue.

Given that United's hub is in Terminal C and SQ uses Terminal B, I don't think its about ground service or connections whatsoever.

CarlosSi

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 am

The flight when operated by an a345 was in an all-business configuration towards the end of its first life. It now mostly is so (half-ish business half premium economy). Could it be that contractors pushed SQ to fly to EWR in the interest of convenience to its travelers to key locations within NYC? (i.e., Manhattan or other areas of significant business)? As if flying nonstop from two cities 9500 miles apart isn't convenient enough!

johnclipper

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 am

I took the original A350 EWR-SIN flight back in the day and I can say that I think the issue was that since this was an ULH route, less taxi and holding time coupled with late night departure time meant that the flight didn't waste time waiting to depart. IIRC, the departure was 12:55am and we got off the gate and right in the air. Not sure if that would be the case at JFK.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

wjcandee

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:01 am

Maybe they looked at the catchment area and geographic distribution of patrons for their nonstop flight and determined that Northern New Jersey was a significant contributor?

If you're a New Yorker, coming into EWR is horrible. If you want to take a taxi home, it's those awful Elizabeth or whatever cabs, and the whole experience is just weird. I don't care if it's technically closer or a miniscule bit faster, it's New Jersey, no doubt about it, and it's different. (Mayor LaGuardia thought the same thing, which is why we have the airport that bears his name.) You go to JFK, you get what we're used to in NYC. Good and bad, of course. But it's familiar.

(Same thing with LGA, btw. When Hooterville, Delaware's Joe Biden complained about that airport, many were incensed. It reflected more about his hickishness than about anything most New Yorkers felt about their airport. Yeah, it was junky, but no junkier than the C Train. It was a very-familiar experience. LGA was gritty and harsh and unforgiving -- just like New York City. But I walk out a few quick steps, navigating the maze from experience, past the gauntlet of illegal-car-service guys (who are there for sucker tourists), to the big line of yellow medallion taxis, get in, and give them the address just as if I'm hailing a cab at 57th and Park. A surprising number will ask, "The building with the driveway?" Yep. That's the one. At LGA, I'm mentally home pretty-much as soon as I get off the plane. Try that at EWR. Fuggetaboudit.)

77H

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:46 am

danj555 wrote:
United got in those cheeky jabs early with SFO and LAX flights, but Singapore Air is having the last laugh, they got the US on lock going to Singapore.

Riiiiiight... SQ has US-SIN on lock which is precisely why UA is operating 2 daily flights to SIN from SFO. While it is true that UA dropped LAX-SIN, from all indications I've read it had to due with aircraft performance issues making the flight an under performer, not lack of demand for UA's service. Additionally, UA's network is far larger than SQ's which only has one hub, SIN. It make sense that they would be try and connect SIN with as many destinations as possible where as UA has 7 hubs to chase opportunities.

77H

ryanov

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:03 am

LaGuardia objectively sucks. The only transit option is the bus, and it’s terribly overcrowded and gets stuck in traffic. The bus from Newark Airport virtually never hits traffic, and there’s good rail service at the airport or Newark Penn to both midtown and lower Manhattan. If New York prefers not to darken our doorstep, so be it, but it’s not the least convenient of the three.

wjcandee

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 am

ryanov wrote:
LaGuardia objectively sucks. The only transit option is the bus, and it’s terribly overcrowded and gets stuck in traffic. The bus from Newark Airport virtually never hits traffic, and there’s good rail service at the airport or Newark Penn to both midtown and lower Manhattan. If New York prefers not to darken our doorstep, so be it, but it’s not the least convenient of the three.

Love this. :-) I don't know what Singaporeans expect in terms of options from the airport, and you may have identified what the perceived benefit is.

If they're like Europeans, and expect a high-speed train in the terminal, EWR doesn't have that. But it does have the kind-of-fime-consuming Airtran to the Airport rail station where you can wait for the NJ Transit train which will eventually take you to Penn Station NY, where you can drag your luggage onto a subway or whatever.

But presumably business travelers will be taking a cab or car service, and there EWR really has no advantage.

Of course, a preponderance of the biz travelers could be going to the many pharma companies in NJ, or southward to Princeton or whatever for academic/tech stuff, whereupon EWR is vastly more convenient than JFK. I mean, if you're going to NJ, EWR is your spot.

ryanov

Re: Why is SQ non-stop flying to EWR and not JFK like the other flight via FRA?

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:43 am

Lots of people use transit to get to and from all three airports. Frankly, a taxi ride to anywhere that takes you through the actual city of NY is a great way to spend a lot of money going someplace very slowly. I don’t do that even when traveling on business if there’s an alternative.

SurlyBonds

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 am

I suspect the reason is that Singapore is a regional financial hub, and EWR is slightly more convenient to Wall Street than JFK. (Midtown Manhattan is the opposite.) Singapore also has some biotech/pharma (cf. the Biopolis), which may generate traffic to New Jersey. EWR's train feed also allows easier connections to places like Princeton, Philadelphia, and DC, which may appeal to people from NUS and government traffic.

Additionally, the Star Alliance feed on UA may not be comparable to that connecting on, say, LH, but it's not nothing.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 am

I mean why wouldnt they operate it to Newark is the real question? Star carrier to star hub, closer to Wall Street , pharma in NJ and ports(think singapore business), and they already have a very established route to JFK via Europe.

mark787

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:15 am

The bus from EWR rarely hits that kind of traffic?? are you kidding me? you can count how many times all 3 Hudson river crossings are clear in a year's time all on one hand. I drive to and from EWR to JFK in a truck daily, and you are hard pressed to cross the GW bridge without a glitch on a daily basis. Both JFK and EWR are more or less similar distance to Manhattan, and both airports can be reached using a combo of commuter rail and air train. JFK only has one disadvantage being that it is not wise to fly between 1400 and 2300, unless you like to sit on the tarmac for a couple of hours. Likewise, EWR isn't much better at that. A flight taking off after midnight wouldn't run into many delays at JFK either unless there are weather related delays which would affect EWR equally as they are quite close to each other distance wise. The only thing that I could think of as to why they chose EWR is for having better connections to Star Alliance members which you would think would include United.

Bricktop

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am

David_itl wrote:
SQ25 SIN-FRA-JFK is what you're missing.

Minor correction: SQ26 is the inbound flight to JFK. SQ25 is the return to FRA/SIN.

jules48

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 am

Operates 388 Sin-Fra-Jfk.Normally routes over UK airspace about 0830-0900 am.See it regularly

SQ789

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm

There is something wrong in this thread. SQ also served JFK as well via FRA. So he might have forget about this.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

afterburner

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm

On average, how much is the fare difference between the non-stop SIN-EWR and one-stop SIN-FRA-JFK?

MrBrightSide

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm

The answer is quite simple. From the posters here, 99% is referring to EWR flight as a feeder for New York. Without going into dynamic between Jersey and New York, SQ launched the original flight because of need to serve Jersey state as well, as several Singaporean companies or companies Singapore funds have invested in - have a presence there. Avago Technologies, i.e. company who you probably know as Broadcom is one that comes to mind.

Also, I remember my colleagues liking the "backup" of switching flights, and for Singapore businessman, routing SIN-EWR-JFK-FRA-SIN or vice versa - SIN-FRA-JFK-EWR-SIN used to be, and still is a pretty popular one, as you get to sort out business in both Europe and US in a single trip. Also, trips like SIN-LAX-EWR-SIN, or SIN-SFO-JFK-FRA-SIN were, and are still popular.

In business, time is money. What SQ offers is perfectly tailored for people that have to visit two continents in 1 week. I lived in Singapore for the past five years, and it is perfectly normal to circle the globe if you're in a multinational company, or work with multiple markets. SQ is the flag carrier of Singapore and it exists to serve local businesses, and given that the second largest sovereign fund is located there, yet to mention Asian HQ's for many American companies - there's plenty of seats to fill between tiny island 80 miles north of the Equator and SFO / LAX / New York+Jersey area.

Hope this post is helpful.
There's no better way to travel than fly (shameless rip of LH's slogan ;-)

MalevTU134

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:24 pm

SQ789 wrote:
There is something wrong in this thread. SQ also served JFK as well via FRA. So he might have forget about this.

Wrong is not reading the thread before commenting.
What you raise was commented on by me and others in the very first posts, and has also been clarified by the OPer.

STT757

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 pm

SQ has a history at EWR going back over twenty years since the mid/ late nineties. They began in the mid 1990s serving EWR with a 744 via AMS, JFK was also a 744 via FRA. They flew the one stop from EWR with the 744 until they switched EWR to a nonstop A340-500 in 2004. They flew the nonstop from EWR until 2013, they took a break for five years when the retired the A340-500 and relaunched the route with the A350 last year.

SQ has been serving EWR just as long as Kennedy airport, so there are facts in play that drove their decision to fly to EWR and Kennedy in the 1990s which are the same today. And for the second time they decided EWR would get the nonstop.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

blockski

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:07 pm

johnclipper wrote:
I took the original A350 EWR-SIN flight back in the day and I can say that I think the issue was that since this was an ULH route, less taxi and holding time coupled with late night departure time meant that the flight didn't waste time waiting to depart. IIRC, the departure was 12:55am and we got off the gate and right in the air. Not sure if that would be the case at JFK.

This makes sense to me. Perhaps there were more commercial reasons for picking EWR over JFK (alliance, submarkets, etc) but I get the sense the operational reliability was a big factor.

CaliguyNYC

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm

I am willing to bet that SQ does get feed from UA through the interline agrement. When you charge $10K plus for the nonstop in J, SQ doesn’t need a codeshare deal from UA. SQ can just add on or eat the $500 domestic F connector (remember no one from the West Coast is using the EWR nonstop - the flight is meant for the mid Atlantic / NE region. To those that keep saying SQ picked EWR because it is a few miles closer to Southern Manhattan - ha ha ha ha.

teachpdx

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Does EWR generally have less holding/arrivals congestion than JFK?
If so, that may be a reason for EWR. After such a long flight, a less congested airport may make them less likely to hit minimums and end up diverting.

tpaewr

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 pm

I wonder how bandwidth is used each year because an imaginary line places EWR in NJ rather than NY.

MaverickM11

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:04 pm

What are they hanging onto with the one-stop to JFK? Loads haven't been good in a while and yields have cratered to as low as $500rt all in... Why bother?

afterburner wrote:
On average, how much is the fare difference between the non-stop SIN-EWR and one-stop SIN-FRA-JFK?

In February one stops are around $745 all in, while the nonstop is $1086
E pur si muove -Galileo

bzcat

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 am

I think the answer is that SQ wanted to serve both airports so it chose one for each one of its flights. It will be interesting to see if SQ has any large corporate accounts with HQ located in NJ.

CX also served both JFK and EWR but I think it's because it can't get any more slots at JFK.

global2

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Slot availability?

Oh, puhleeze! As a Manhattanite, EWR is a royal, and expensive pain to get home from.

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:57 am

bzcat wrote:
I think the answer is that SQ wanted to serve both airports so it chose one for each one of its flights. It will be interesting to see if SQ has any large corporate accounts with HQ located in NJ.

CX also served both JFK and EWR but I think it's because it can't get any more slots at JFK.

I don't really understand that logic because serving 2 different airports only makes sense if they fly to the same point which means that the split operation really exists to be convenient to those living on the different sides of the city. JFK-FRA-SIN is a massive difference in product and overall flight time compared to EWR-SIN. The latter is great if you live in NJ, but there has to be a substantial number of people on the NY side as well and the flights are targeting completely different markets to begin with. It's not like EK or CX or something interchangeable where you can pick either based on which side you live. I would assume SQ doesn't have a second JFK-SIN because the market can't support a second nonstop to SIN, but that doesn't really answer why JFK-FRA-SIN still exists. People that are taking the JFK flight aren't doing it to save time because it takes longer than EWR-SIN and if they did want to save time, it would still be quicker to slog through traffic and grab the EWR nonstop than to transit in FRA. If SQ knows everyone going straight to SIN will take the EWR flight regardless of whether they live in NY or NJ, why keep JFK-FRA around? Make it nonstop if many of the JFK-FRA-SIN are going all the way to SIN and if not, then add a second EWR frequency. But why JFK-FRA-SIN remains is a mystery.

EarlyLateORD

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:42 am

I am fairly certain (atleast based on the prior A340-500 flight) that EWR was chosen due to a combination of alliance connections, lower taxi/hold times and overall less taxiway congestion. A flight like EWR-SIN cant afford to taxi and sit for an hour...

dmstorm22

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:56 am

EarlyLateORD wrote:
I am fairly certain (atleast based on the prior A340-500 flight) that EWR was chosen due to a combination of alliance connections, lower taxi/hold times and overall less taxiway congestion. A flight like EWR-SIN cant afford to taxi and sit for an hour...

When the flight started there was no alliances connections, CO was in Skyteam at that point.

jerseyewr777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 am

EarlyLateORD wrote:

EWR is one of the most congested airports in the United States!

EWR was NOT a Star Alliance hub when the flight first operated nonstop.

jerseyewr777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Slot availability?

The flight comes in so early that I would think that slots at JFK would not be an issue if SQ wanted to operate the nonstop from JFK.

LAXLHR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:51 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is there any specific reason SQ is flying to EWR and not JFK? I was under the impression that UA and SQ don't really get along much, thus it wouldn't make a difference if they flew to EWR or JFK. And terminal B which SQ uses at EWR can be kindly described as dreadful while T4 at JFK is much nicer and where SQ already has an operation. What am I missing?

Alliance's are just that. Interline agreements STILL exist between carriers, and some people on here should truly look up what that means...it would be of great benefit.

A passenger can still ticket BWI-EWR on UA and then EWR-SIN on SQ or ATL-EWR on DL then EWR-SIN on SQ.

UA has a large hub, passengers feed in nicely. Passengers can also feed in on separate tickets.
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

ryanov

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:12 pm

mark787 wrote:
The bus from EWR rarely hits that kind of traffic?? are you kidding me? you can count how many times all 3 Hudson river crossings are clear in a year's time all on one hand. I drive to and from EWR to JFK in a truck daily, and you are hard pressed to cross the GW bridge without a glitch on a daily basis.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: the bus between Newark Penn Station (or the go28 which serves Bloomfield and Newark downtowns but not Penn Station) and the Airport, NOT from NYC. I completely agree re: taking a bus over one of the crossings, and honestly have not even attempted it in the peak direction. But there is rail service to Newark that avoids all of that (which has been less reliable lately but still almost always better than traffic). From Newark, however, the buses take Broad Street in Newark, which is busy but very wide, and then it's on the highway for a very brief period, basically the ramp system and a small bit what's either Route 1 or the very short State Route 81. The only time I hit noteworthy traffic there was a Saturday late morning, for whatever reason. I've taken the bus from downtown Newark to the airport probably pushing 75 times at this point and that's the sole time I was nervous about making the flight. I've been from my door to past security in 35 mins before. You can get to Newark Penn via NJT or the PATH reasonably conveniently at all times of day that there are flights. On NJT you can also take the train to the airport station and get the monorail, but service is very limited at some times of day (outbound from NYC has very few trains that make the EWR stop), and that monorail sucks.
Last edited by ryanov on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryanov

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 pm

global2 wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
Slot availability?

Oh, puhleeze! As a Manhattanite, EWR is a royal, and expensive pain to get home from.

If you mean by car, certainly. I can't understand why anyone would do that except in the middle of the night or if they are not able to handle luggage on a the occasional small flight of stairs (or stand if it's a peak period).

Joost

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Singapore flying its nonstop to Newark is a bit of a mystery, EWR has always been nonstop & JFK has been one -stop.

Before they received the 340-500s used for the first iteration of SIN-EWR non-stop, SQ flew SIN-AMS-EWR using 744 and 772 equipment.

After ditching the 345s they didn't serve EWR for a couple of years, before their return with the 359.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:05 am

SQ and LH have a joint venture, and I suspect that this is a back-door way for LH to shoehorn in a third daily flight to JFK. It's timed to have minimal layover at FRA and arrive back in SIN for SQ's morning bank. This is also why, in the winter season, it's not important to have first class on the evening flight (LH404/5). (Barring an equipment change to an A340-300 or a 747-400, LH400/1 always has first class, be it on an A388, A346, or B748).

aeromoe

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am

johnclipper wrote:

Original A350 back in what day? Oh - the four-engine A350...
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos