Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WNCrew

Re: AS new interior

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:25 am

AirbusA322 wrote:
Looking at the 737 modification I can't say I really seeing any VX in it all all. Whilst its fresh and modern. Most certainly not VX though. It looks like all pre BSI won’t get mood lighting, but I assume it’s more a complicated fix to convert.

Would have been good if they did a V Aus and kept the Divider. Whilst Purple is out, Blue appears to be in, and would most certainly keep a little bit of VX life in it.

What are these photos of exactly? Is this an AS 737? Why were these posted as I see the photos above being the NEW AS 737 interior... sorry, just confused.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AirbusA322

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:45 am

Those photos are of a Virgin Australia 737. When Virgin OZ transformed from Virgin Blue last decade they took multiple aspects out of VX’s book. They stole the Cabin Divider idea.

I posted the photos showing something they should have done. They should have gone more Virgin Aus with the Divider/Economy product. Instead Alaska have gone down the ULCC path instead.

WNCrew

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:50 am

AirbusA322 wrote:
Those photos are of a Virgin Australia 737. When Virgin OZ transformed from Virgin Blue last decade they took multiple aspects out of VX’s book. They stole the Cabin Divider idea.

I posted the photos showing something they should have done. They should have gone more Virgin Aus with the Divider/Economy product. Instead Alaska have gone down the ULCC path instead.

Perfect, thank you for that explanation :-) I figured I missed something in the post that explained them.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AirbusA322

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:56 am

Here is the Economy Cabin De-Virginised. Fairly Craptacular.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsnJYGAFHb1/?hl=en

WNCrew

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:

My first thought; "Violet! you're turning VIOLET Violet!" - Willy Wonka

No but really, it looks a little too blue.....

LAXBUR

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:39 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:

Give it a rest. This is not ULCC. Do ULCC have first class with 41” pitch? No. In fact, most legacy 737s and A320s have less pitch in first. Everyone can have their own opinions but yours are baseless. The mood lighting is no different than Virgin’s except that it is a different color. The seats are black just like Virgin’s economy.

“They should have gone more Virgin”...you mean make less money to the point they’re bought out by someone else or just completely disappear so you’re stuck with a legacy or Southwest?

seabosdca

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Thank goodness the fixed purple mood lighting is gone. In VX Airbuses I always feel that my retinas are going to be permanently stained purple.

Also very happy to see the additional F seats.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LAXBUR

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:09 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Thanks for those. Still laughable some folks are trying to pass these seats as ULCC. You can fly Alaska for the same price as most ULCC and get free movie streaming, outlets at every Airbus and Boeing seat, and access to wi-fi and meals. I would love for someone to tell me what ULCC has that? I know facts seem to be an issue lately on here.

gatibosgru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 pm

How boring. Are there device holders in F too? Really wish they'd have kept PTVs, but at least there are USB ports on every seat.
@DadCelo

usxguy

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm

No. the F seat tray table is almost like the VX original, there's a small holder that flips up and out from the tray table so you can put your tablet up while you eat. I'll migrate some photos from my phone to computer and upload the shots I took while in N615AS from JNU to ANC (in F, but got pics from the entire cabin).

its also noteworthy that Alaska's "NEW" Y seat has a USB power port up by the holder, and a REGULAR power port just below the tray table. Any other airlines offer *2* power sources per seat???
xx

LAXBUR

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm

usxguy wrote:
No. the F seat tray table is almost like the VX original, there's a small holder that flips up and out from the tray table so you can put your tablet up while you eat. I'll migrate some photos from my phone to computer and upload the shots I took while in N615AS from JNU to ANC (in F, but got pics from the entire cabin).

its also noteworthy that Alaska's "NEW" Y seat has a USB power port up by the holder, and a REGULAR power port just below the tray table. Any other airlines offer *2* power sources per seat???

According to folks on here these are ULCC seats. Apparently Frontier and Spirit have free movie streaming, power ports, and WiFi now! lololol

I still really wonder if most of the Virgin fans on here have flown either carrier. The claims on here seem pretty dubious at times.

UWPAviation

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:58 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

According to folks on here these are ULCC seats. Apparently Frontier and Spirit have free movie streaming, power ports, and WiFi now! lololol

I still really wonder if most of the Virgin fans on here have flown either carrier. The claims on here seem pretty dubious at times.

So does WN. Free WIFI and TV. I was shocked, able to watch the NFL games for free on my flight from MKE-LAS

LAXBUR

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:04 pm

UWPAviation wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

So does WN. Free WIFI and TV. I was shocked, able to watch the NFL games for free on my flight from MKE-LAS

Southwest is a low cost carrier, not an ultra low cost carrier. Pretty different value options there. Some folks are trying to compare this product to Frontier or Spirit, which are ULCCs and completely off base comparisons.

seabosdca

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:07 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Better photos of the A320 interior:

Wait a minute... in those, the mood lighting looks purple again. :hissyfit: What's the real scoop?

USAirKid

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

FWIW, FlightLevel360, who has posted on this thread, has stated on his blog that he has not flown VX. I forget if he said he had flown AS or not.

I have flown AS and VX. (Although my VX flight was after AS had purchased them.) The VX product seems really cool, but it seems like it was designed to be marketed, not to actually be a good product. In flight chat? That was the biggest letdown ever.

usxguy

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Well, te seats are thicker, have a full tray table (not half or quarter), along with quite the plush moveable headrest.

They are quite different than whats offered on NK & F9. Heck, even HA interisland seats are glorified benches, yet no one calls HA an ULCC.
xx

N649DL

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:
New Airbus Inside Photos. Farewell VX hello Bland Airways.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/n628va/?hl=en

Not a fan of the rejigged mood lighting not sure what they did but it looks a little severe.

This looks better...

https://g.foolcdn.com/image/?url=https% ... &op=resize

The cabin looks like its supposed to be used by an ULCC in Asia.

Are they ripping out the PTVs? So stupid, this reminds me a lot of when CO merged with UAL and made a lot of awful cost cutting moves.

airplaneboy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:09 am

[twoid][/twoid]
EA CO AS wrote:

Thanks for sharing. The cabin looks clean, and the aesthetics are very calming and in line with the Alaska brand. The seats in Y look comfortable as well. Overall it’s a very nice cabin, even without PTVs. I think the novelty of having PTVs is overrated when almost everyone has a personal device of some sort, especially when you consider AS provides free content to stream and power outlets. The only thing I would say could use improvement is the first class cabin divider (perhaps they could have used a different material), but it’s still a very nice looking cabin.

d8s

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:22 am

N649DL wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

Are they ripping out the PTVs? So stupid, this reminds me a lot of when CO merged with UAL and made a lot of awful cost cutting moves.

Why is that so stupid? Nearly everyone traveling has a smartphone, iPad, or other device and can see the same entertainment. Is it stupid because it is an inconvenience to YOU? The PTV's wee nothing spectacular.

LAXBUR

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:26 am

USAirKid wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

FWIW, FlightLevel360, who has posted on this thread, has stated on his blog that he has not flown VX. I forget if he said he had flown AS or not.

I have flown AS and VX. (Although my VX flight was after AS had purchased them.) The VX product seems really cool, but it seems like it was designed to be marketed, not to actually be a good product. In flight chat? That was the biggest letdown ever.

All I’ll say is I have friends that work at Alaska and the word is Alaska frequent flyers did not care for VX service (and VX attitude). Alaska being the dominant carrier financially and service wise (as in larger) is probably why things went more Alaska than more Virgin.

With that said I actually found my most recent Airbus flights to be great attitude wise, but did have some service irregularities even on a Boeing to which I sent a note to customer care. I’m guessing crews are acclimating to everything now, improving morale. Now pilots are a different story...I’m not familiar with how they came out after the merger. They still seem pretty grumpy. But FAs for sure got an upgrade.

DDR

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 am

Not a fan of the current trend of not having proper dividers between F and Y. But, it is what it is. The AS cabin looks nice.

AA321T

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:33 am

usxguy wrote:
Its also noteworthy that Alaska's "NEW" Y seat has a USB power port up by the holder, and a REGULAR power port just below the tray table. Any other airlines offer *2* power sources per seat???

American is also offering both USB by the device holder and a regular power port at every seat on all new deliveries and retrofitting it on all 737’s and A321’s. I’m not sure of the other carriers.

JAAlbert

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:12 am

AirbusA322 wrote:

It's those 18th century luggage bins that detract from the atmosphere. Why doesn't Airbus update them with something a bit more sleek? Airbus knows how to design beautiful interiors, come on now . . .

FlightLevel360

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:26 am

USAirKid wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
usxguy wrote:

I will be trying Alaska in a few months. Still disappointed by the removal of PTV and other goodies, but I really want to see how comparable it will be to United and Delta (my main airlines). I am most likely to be on a 737, and depending on how this experience is I will probably decide if it is worth flying them in the future (I will likely move to the west coast within the next several years)
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

N649DL

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:30 am

d8s wrote:
N649DL wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

Why is that so stupid? Nearly everyone traveling has a smartphone, iPad, or other device and can see the same entertainment. Is it stupid because it is an inconvenience to YOU? The PTV's wee nothing spectacular.

Wow, triggered over PTVs? I think they're pretty spectacular actually, hence why I have status with Delta.

Because it typically doesn't work all that well and it's well known by now. Different devices don't play well with certain servers, the servers crash, devices buffering too long, all of people s*** taking up space with power chords and whatnot.

jetboy319

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:45 am

N649DL wrote:
Wow, triggered over PTVs? I think they're pretty spectacular actually, hence why I have status with Delta.

I think we can all agree that seat-back screens are neat, and sure, it would have been cool to see them stay (as long as they were upgraded, as the VX ones are very archaic). Having status on a particular carrier based on the availability of seat-back entertainment screens isn't a luxury that most people can afford. In general, people maintain status due to the utility of an airlines' network, the ease with which miles are earned/redeemed, etc.

itripreport

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:06 am

I like the cabin, but I'm not happy about getting rid of the VX cabin, sad to see it go like this...

n7371f
Topic Author

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:32 am

There are after-market interiors that AS could've purchased which would've included new, sleeker overhead bins with more storage space - as well as new sidewalls. They chose not to do that.

JAAlbert wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

It's those 18th century luggage bins that detract from the atmosphere. Why doesn't Airbus update them with something a bit more sleek? Airbus knows how to design beautiful interiors, come on now . . .

Tack

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:25 am

AirbusA322 wrote:

Actually looks nice new and clean. Something my only flight on VX was not. VX was over long ago. No network. Crap FF. Unless you had to fly only SFO-JFK, which the majority of us who need to fly for a living don’t, VX was a waste of time. For me AA beat them on all fronts including price. Hell even UA was better.

USAirKid

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 am

d8s wrote:
N649DL wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

And on longer flights AS has tablets you can rent, if you didn't bring your own.

VC10er

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 am

I never have flown AS, I would love to see the old carpet design that seems dated but loved.

I vividly recall (how could one forget?) the pmUA wild abstract sunset carpet bulkheads. They did need to go, but of all the airlines, UA certainly didn’t hold back when it came to color back when they sported the Saul Bass livery.

I do like the look of those AS black seats above. They look ergonomic and comfortable. Footrest is a great thing too. I wish they were standard on Domestic F seats.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

seabosdca

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:56 am

n7371f wrote:
There are after-market interiors that AS could've purchased which would've included new, sleeker overhead bins with more storage space - as well as new sidewalls. They chose not to do that.

The A319s and A320s will almost certainly be returned to lessor at the end of each lease, none later than ~5 years out (and possibly even sooner for the A319s). It's not worth it to buy a bunch of bins/PSUs/ceiling panels that, unlike seats, can't be reused.

cathay747

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:14 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
questions wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
I had a small part in the old carpet bulkhead design so am sad to see it go. That said, yes it's old and dated but when it was introduced it was beautiful!

That’s a cool, claim to fame story. What was your small part?

A friend worked for Teague as an artist/designer and they'd gotten the AS account for new interiors and hard product. I was a college student and studying Native American art (among other things) and I suggested they look at a basket-weave style design. He never gave me credit though! LOL

When I flew AS in First on a 73G DCA/SEA/DCA back in 2005, I thought that carpet on the bulkhead was a beautiful design, and I still think that. Tied well with the gorgeous "Seattle-Tacoma" pattern china they also used then. Both brought in a very nice Native American influence in both color and pattern. Why they did away with that china I'll never understand, it was a truly beautiful pattern.
Try a Little VC-10derness

LAXBUR

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:20 pm

The seatback tv debate is so tired on here. People shouldn’t get so upset either way. I use them when they’re there (except when they don’t work or are incredibly old as I’ve had on Delta and JetBlue). Besides some enthusiast on here most companies and the average flyer aren’t paying attention to this detail. I’m fine using my own device. Saves on weight and saves fuel. Saving the planet! Haha

PlanesNTrains

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
The seatback tv debate is so tired on here. People shouldn’t get so upset either way. I use them when they’re there (except when they don’t work or are incredibly old as I’ve had on Delta and JetBlue). Besides some enthusiast on here most companies and the average flyer aren’t paying attention to this detail. I’m fine using my own device. Saves on weight and saves fuel. Saving the planet! Haha

I think a lot of people appreciate the convenience of not having to use their device even though they have it. Having said that, I always stream to my iPad on WN and it works perfectly fine. My seatback avod on DL was inoperable so it really didn’t matter that it was there

Anyhow I respect why people like the convenience of it and I also respect why AS has opted to get rid of the VX system.

Re: the new interior, I’d just say the cabin dividers are weak but I’m not sure it’s that big of deal.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

QXAS

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:

Those bins are craptacular that’s for sure. Seats I’ve heard are fantastic. F is the best pitch in the legacy airlines domestic fleets excluding TCON layflats.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

QXAS

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 pm

seabosdca wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Better photos of the A320 interior:

Wait a minute... in those, the mood lighting looks purple again. :hissyfit: What's the real scoop?

Calm down everything is ok. It’s blue. Although they could make it purple if they wanted too because LEDs are great. It looks purple because the blue on the sidewalls compared with the white in the crown looks purple ish next to the blue.

Regarding lights, on my recent 739 flights, all of them have been blue except for the lights illuminating the window exits which were Seahawk green. Is that normal or was that just for football season?
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I think they made a bad call going without PTVs, but I think thye made the right call to go all in or out.

It's too confusing for an airline that offers so many transcons to have such different products. They had to offer one more consistent product. Power ports will help alot. They made what they thought was the best financial decision. Sure it is a major major cabin decrease compared to VX, but Virgin America is gone, they need to power forward with one brand one product and they seem to be doing that.

Southwest and JetBlue are full value airlines, I don't think Alaska claims or tries to offer what they do in coach. AS is competing with the legacies, this cabin is designed to compete in that space.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think they made a bad call going without PTVs, but I think thye made the right call to go all in or out.

It's too confusing for an airline that offers so many transcons to have such different products. They had to offer one more consistent product. Power ports will help alot. They made what they thought was the best financial decision. Sure it is a major major cabin decrease compared to VX, but Virgin America is gone, they need to power forward with one brand one product and they seem to be doing that.

Southwest and JetBlue are full value airlines, I don't think Alaska claims or tries to offer what they do in coach. AS is competing with the legacies, this cabin is designed to compete in that space.

For clarity, aside from the IFE removal, what is the “major major cabin decrease compared to VX”? I’m not trying to argue, just wondering what else has been trashed?

I’ve flown a lot less the past few years, but I’ve flown UAex, American, American Eagle (Compass), Alaska, Frontier, Delta, and Southwest. Exactly one flight - a DL 738 - had IFE, and it didn’t work. Somehow the majority of my flights have been enjoyable and with WN and AS I was able to stream free content to my device. I guess while I agree it’s convenient to have, I just don’t see the huge downgrade when it’s not there.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

LAXBUR

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Again, I feel like people aren’t really familiar with the services of Alaska or they’re intentionally ignoring it to go with this “Virgin was murdered” narrative. Alaska certainly offers more in coach than Southwest. There’s a premium cabin with free drinks and a “premium” snack. They have meals for sell in coach. Southwest does not. Virgin offered the same. Delta offers the same. The only difference was that it was on demand with Virgin via the seatback tv. Now fare wise you could argue Southwest offers value. But Southwest does not have an equivalent onboard service when compared to Alaska on virtually all flights. Although I have been annoyed by Alaska’s very short flights having very random service - I.E. a tailwind flight having full drink service and the same flight back with headwinds had limited service even though 10-15 mins longer with the excuse of a “short duration”.

seabosdca

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:26 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Sure it is a major major cabin decrease compared to VX

As a frequent AS flyer I prefer the newer batch of legacy AS cabins to the legacy VX ones in every respect except for the PTVs. The seats feel better-built, the color scheme is vastly better, the materials are nicer, and I don't get the sense of "trying a little too hard to be hip." This new cabin looks like a pretty straightforward update of the legacy AS concept, and once all the aircraft have 2Ku so that devices work optimally, I think it's a significant upgrade from the legacy VX cabin.

golfingboy

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Can those tablet holders fit a 12.9" iPad Pro?

williaminsd

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Jeez... I guess some people never get tired of the "Virgin Sacrifice" meme here. I agree with many that it just might be time to give it a rest. Loved VX, but really, the product hadn't changed much since 2008. This new cabin looks clean and modern, with the improvable overhead bins duly noted. I take both my phone and tablet on board whenever I fly, so the lack of PTVs has little impact on me, but I understand not everyone may fly that way and it will be a consideration. Re LCC/ULCC... I am flying into Reno next week. Made reso last week: southwest = $560; Alaska = $404. Anecdotal obviously, but accurate nonetheless. Changing planes in San Jose vs an available non-stop on Southwest, but for $150? Done. And note, I have absolutely nothing against Southwest. Fine airline with great service and great people, but unless you are making the reservation weeks in advance, I'm not sure if the LCC moniker still applies. Looking forward to trying out the new Alaska interiors...

d8s

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm

N649DL wrote:
d8s wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Because it typically doesn't work all that well and it's well known by now. Different devices don't play well with certain servers, the servers crash, devices buffering too long, all of people s*** taking up space with power chords and whatnot.

Interesting...I have status with AS and rarely have had issues with buffering and have never had a server crash or the issues you describe. It always works well.

itripreport

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 am

Not sure if you guys have seen it, but a few days ago I flew on Entourage Air, the only aircraft currently with the new interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M9FN-EDQI

Its a great product for Alaska, I'm just not onboard with the idea of it replacing Virgin America's interior

AA737-823

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:48 am

itripreport wrote:
Not sure if you guys have seen it, but a few days ago I flew on Entourage Air, the only aircraft currently with the new interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M9FN-EDQI

Its a great product for Alaska, I'm just not onboard with the idea of it replacing Virgin America's interior

I liked Virgin's interior, too, but it frankly had seen better days.
And apparently wasn't commanding a revenue premium to justify its existence...

qm001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:06 am

AirbusA322 wrote:

Not a fan of the rejigged mood lighting not sure what they did but it looks a little severe.

This looks better...

Yes indeed, might as well be Lufthansa! Boring AF!
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

hiflyeras

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Good riddance to those gaudy, purple plexiglass class dividers on L-VX. They look like they came from a strip club.

Tack

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:08 am

qm001 wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

This looks better...

Yes indeed, might as well be Lufthansa! Boring AF!

Yup, it might appear boring. But those yearly profits AS keeps collecting I’m guessing are not. Pretty sure VX would’ve liked a few. VX is gone cause it didn’t work profit wise and no amount of hip interior could save it from its limited network.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos