Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
sonicruiser
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion; if the downed 707 is c/n 21128, it was originally 5-8312 IRIAF, more recently EP-SHK of Saha Air, reverted briefly to 5-8312, and most recently flew as EP-CPP


Don't know if this is the same plane, but if it is, it's probably the only 707 to be in the same picture as an A350.

Image
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm

DrPaul wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Not meaning to critisize anyone here, this is a genuine question, but how exactly can you confuse two airports, especially when one is tiny?


A Pan-American Boeing 707 in 1960 managed to land at Northolt, whose main runway is roughly parallel to the main ones at Heathrow but six or so miles to the north, which is where it was supposed to have landed, see https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607/. A Lufthansa 707 attempted this in 1964, but was deterred when a warning flare was fired.

LOL, if you are going to bring Northolt into the frame, this is how you crash a plane into a house....
Image

If I remember correctly, the house is still there, and the name on the gate is still
"Dakota Rest", 46 Angus Drive, Northolt.

ps - always loved that photo of the Pan Am 707, lifting out of Northolt like it's tail is on fire. Northolt only has a short runway, and it barely used half of that...
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:08 am

OA940 wrote:
Not meaning to critisize anyone here, this is a genuine question, but how exactly can you confuse two airports, especially when one is tiny?

I swear one of the hardest things for me is to find the airport visually. I always fly with GPS and even on my map I know exactly where it is and I still sometimes can’t see it until closer than you’d expect. It is one of many reasons I prefer flying Instrurment over Visual.

I am not surprised this happens. I am more surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 am

Back in 1962, a United DC-8 destined for PDX landed in error at nearby Troutdale. In order to take off from the 4,500 foot runway, and fly all of about 10 miles to PDX, supposedly fuel was removed, seats taken out, etc.

http://offbeatoregon.com/1802a.massive- ... e-481.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMd62MmePI
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Don't know if this is the same plane, but if it is, it's probably the only 707 to be in the same picture as an A350.


Image
Are you sure we are both looking at the same photo? I'm counting three, possibly four 707s.
Or maybe I've just had too much to drink? :lol:

I am fairly certain the 707 in center shot is not EP-CPP

However, I believe there were 13 707s on the deck that day, so 'CPP was probably there somewhere.
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:42 am

DrPaul wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Not meaning to critisize anyone here, this is a genuine question, but how exactly can you confuse two airports, especially when one is tiny?


A Pan-American Boeing 707 in 1960 managed to land at Northolt, whose main runway is roughly parallel to the main ones at Heathrow but six or so miles to the north, which is where it was supposed to have landed, see https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607/. A Lufthansa 707 attempted this in 1964, but was deterred when a warning flare was fired.

In2015 the NTSB grew concerned with multiple occurrences in the US, so they ordered the FAA to take action.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia ... 22696c195f
 
awthompson
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 am

I live in the small country of Northern Ireland and I know of at least three incidents where airliners landed at wrong airports here.

On 29th March 2006, an Eirjet A320 operating for Ryanair (flight FR9884) from Liverpool landed at Ballykelly airfield mistaking it for Londonderry / City of Derry (LDY).
The passengers had to await stairs being driven by road from LDY before disembarking and completing the journey by coach. The return flight was cancelled.

Then, further back on 25th May 1975, an Aviaco DC-9-32 registration EC-CGQ touched down at Langford Lodge instead of Belfast International Airport (Aldergrove). The Pilot realised his mistake and continued to make it a touch and go then continued the short distance to the correct airport! This aircraft was positioning to BFS at the start of the holiday season so was not carrying passengers.

Also, on another occasion, on 2nd March 1989 to be precise, a Dan Air London HS-748 registration G-BFLL on flight DA141 from Newcastle to Belfast International also landed by mistake at Langford Lodge airfield. On this occasion the aircraft came to a complete stop.

It is sad that the Iran incident resulted in loss of life as well as the aircraft.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Not meaning to critisize anyone here, this is a genuine question, but how exactly can you confuse two airports, especially when one is tiny?

I swear one of the hardest things for me is to find the airport visually. I always fly with GPS and even on my map I know exactly where it is and I still sometimes can’t see it until closer than you’d expect. It is one of many reasons I prefer flying Instrurment over Visual.

I am not surprised this happens. I am more surprised it doesn’t happen more often.


And if you have to find it in bad weather as was the case in this incident, then It will be so difficult you can forget about it.
 
User avatar
dara88
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:33 am

sonicruiser wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion; if the downed 707 is c/n 21128, it was originally 5-8312 IRIAF, more recently EP-SHK of Saha Air, reverted briefly to 5-8312, and most recently flew as EP-CPP


Don't know if this is the same plane, but if it is, it's probably the only 707 to be in the same picture as an A350.

Image


That 707 has got a flag on it’s tail. Could be 5-8304.
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Seems part of the fuselage held up well, as did the house.

Image


Image



Back when humans still designed and built great structures... AND planes.
 
User avatar
Gonzalo
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:43 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:48 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Seems we have all too soon forgotten about the Dreamlifter which landed at Jabara Airport in Wichita, KS instead of landing at McConnell AFB. http://avherald.com/h?article=46bcd7c5


And what about the C-17 that landed on a small commuter airstrip instead of McDill AFB ?
There are videos of the landing and the subsequent take off of that incident, sadly this time in Irán the things ended so tragically.

Rgds.
G.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 am

Another example: during the Vietnam War, a DC-8 landed on the wrong airfield in South Vietnam. Take-off from the airfield can be seen here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvK6enoQDg
 
USAirKid
Posts: 904
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 am

If this was an Iranian civilian 707, would the US NTSB be on the accident investigation team? I know they'd be invited if it happened in many other countries, but the US and Iran's relationship is not good.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 am

N14AZ wrote:
Another example: during the Vietnam War, a DC-8 landed on the wrong airfield in South Vietnam. Take-off from the airfield can be seen here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvK6enoQDg


Nice video, though the hard part would’ve been the landing, especially at 2am and not expecting that short runway. The runway end lights would’ve got their attention real quick.
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:39 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Image

If I remember correctly, the house is still there, and the name on the gate is still
"Dakota Rest", 46 Angus Drive, Northolt.

As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 am

neutrino wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Image

If I remember correctly, the house is still there, and the name on the gate is still
"Dakota Rest", 46 Angus Drive, Northolt.

As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.

I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am

N14AZ wrote:
neutrino wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Image

If I remember correctly, the house is still there, and the name on the gate is still
"Dakota Rest", 46 Angus Drive, Northolt.

As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.

I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.


Take a moment to look it up, it’s real.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

jupiter2 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
neutrino wrote:
As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.

I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.


Take a moment to look it up, it’s real.

Wow, unbelievable...I did it and found several Pictures, for example this one (others are protected, as far as I understand)
Image
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/ ... h=12a30438
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am

jupiter2 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
neutrino wrote:
As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.

I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.


Take a moment to look it up, it’s real.


Thank you. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but they're still good enough. :)
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:18 am

neutrino wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.


Take a moment to look it up, it’s real.


Thank you. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but they're still good enough. :)


All good, you’re not the type to make something like that up.

An amazing incident though and no injuries to anyone adds to the story.

Unfortunately we can’t say the same for this incident in Iran.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Seems we have all too soon forgotten about the Dreamlifter which landed at Jabara Airport in Wichita, KS instead of landing at McConnell AFB. http://avherald.com/h?article=46bcd7c5


And what about the C-17 that landed on a small commuter airstrip instead of McDill AFB ?
There are videos of the landing and the subsequent take off of that incident, sadly this time in Irán the things ended so tragically.

Rgds.
G.


C17 is designed as a short takeoff/landing aircraft so the runway was still within limits
 
User avatar
Gonzalo
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:43 am

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Seems we have all too soon forgotten about the Dreamlifter which landed at Jabara Airport in Wichita, KS instead of landing at McConnell AFB. http://avherald.com/h?article=46bcd7c5


And what about the C-17 that landed on a small commuter airstrip instead of McDill AFB ?
There are videos of the landing and the subsequent take off of that incident, sadly this time in Irán the things ended so tragically.

Rgds.
G.


C17 is designed as a short takeoff/landing aircraft so the runway was still within limits


I’m pointing this out as another case where the flight crew performed a landing at the wrong Airport.
The C17 can have all the STOL capabilities of the world but if you land in the wrong place you can collide with something in the runway and kill someone, just because you shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Rgds.
G.
 
User avatar
FlyXLsa
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
I swear one of the hardest things for me is to find the airport visually. I always fly with GPS and even on my map I know exactly where it is and I still sometimes can’t see it until closer than you’d expect. It is one of many reasons I prefer flying Instrument over Visual.

I am not surprised this happens. I am more surprised it doesn’t happen more often.


Excellent... So it's NOT just me that has this problem!!! :cool2:
 
User avatar
AirlineCritic
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Given that the fuselage was relatively intact, I'm surprised that there were no more survivors. I do understand though that the pointy end may have been smashed :-(
 
User avatar
PA727
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Back in 1997, I was a local sports reporter in Fayetteville, Arkansas and flying back from EWR with the basketball team after the NIT finals at Madison Square Garden. Instead of landing at Fayetteville's Drake Field, we landed at Springdale Municipal airport, which had a much shorter runway.

The captain compounded the error by trying to use the reversers to get to the taxiway, which only tore up the concrete and asphalt. Nothing like a college basketball team and it's traveling party dragging luggage down the taxiway back to the "terminal" at the municipal airport. Even more exciting, watching that plane rocket off the now even shorter runway (damage) the next morning. There were some nervous trees at the end of that runway. :)

Bottom line, it does happen, but thankfully it doesn't usually end as badly as this. Sympathies to those impacted.
 
345tas
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Yet another case of a fatal plane crash with only one survivor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _incidents

I know nothing about statistics but this does seem slightly strange. Last such incident was only in May, the Cubana de Aviación crash in Havana.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos