Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser

Re: Boeing 707 crashes in Iran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion; if the downed 707 is c/n 21128, it was originally 5-8312 IRIAF, more recently EP-SHK of Saha Air, reverted briefly to 5-8312, and most recently flew as EP-CPP

Don't know if this is the same plane, but if it is, it's probably the only 707 to be in the same picture as an A350.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm

DrPaul wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Not meaning to critisize anyone here, this is a genuine question, but how exactly can you confuse two airports, especially when one is tiny?

A Pan-American Boeing 707 in 1960 managed to land at Northolt, whose main runway is roughly parallel to the main ones at Heathrow but six or so miles to the north, which is where it was supposed to have landed, see https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607/. A Lufthansa 707 attempted this in 1964, but was deterred when a warning flare was fired.

LOL, if you are going to bring Northolt into the frame, this is how you crash a plane into a house....

If I remember correctly, the house is still there, and the name on the gate is still
"Dakota Rest", 46 Angus Drive, Northolt.

ps - always loved that photo of the Pan Am 707, lifting out of Northolt like it's tail is on fire. Northolt only has a short runway, and it barely used half of that...

SuseJ772

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:08 am

OA940 wrote:
Not meaning to critisize anyone here, this is a genuine question, but how exactly can you confuse two airports, especially when one is tiny?

I swear one of the hardest things for me is to find the airport visually. I always fly with GPS and even on my map I know exactly where it is and I still sometimes can’t see it until closer than you’d expect. It is one of many reasons I prefer flying Instrurment over Visual.

I am not surprised this happens. I am more surprised it doesn’t happen more often.

cschleic

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 am

Back in 1962, a United DC-8 destined for PDX landed in error at nearby Troutdale. In order to take off from the 4,500 foot runway, and fly all of about 10 miles to PDX, supposedly fuel was removed, seats taken out, etc.

http://offbeatoregon.com/1802a.massive- ... e-481.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMd62MmePI

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Don't know if this is the same plane, but if it is, it's probably the only 707 to be in the same picture as an A350.

Are you sure we are both looking at the same photo? I'm counting three, possibly four 707s.
Or maybe I've just had too much to drink? :lol:

I am fairly certain the 707 in center shot is not EP-CPP

However, I believe there were 13 707s on the deck that day, so 'CPP was probably there somewhere.

salttee

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:42 am

DrPaul wrote:
OA940 wrote:

A Pan-American Boeing 707 in 1960 managed to land at Northolt, whose main runway is roughly parallel to the main ones at Heathrow but six or so miles to the north, which is where it was supposed to have landed, see https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607/. A Lufthansa 707 attempted this in 1964, but was deterred when a warning flare was fired.

In2015 the NTSB grew concerned with multiple occurrences in the US, so they ordered the FAA to take action.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia ... 22696c195f

awthompson

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 am

I live in the small country of Northern Ireland and I know of at least three incidents where airliners landed at wrong airports here.

On 29th March 2006, an Eirjet A320 operating for Ryanair (flight FR9884) from Liverpool landed at Ballykelly airfield mistaking it for Londonderry / City of Derry (LDY).
The passengers had to await stairs being driven by road from LDY before disembarking and completing the journey by coach. The return flight was cancelled.

Then, further back on 25th May 1975, an Aviaco DC-9-32 registration EC-CGQ touched down at Langford Lodge instead of Belfast International Airport (Aldergrove). The Pilot realised his mistake and continued to make it a touch and go then continued the short distance to the correct airport! This aircraft was positioning to BFS at the start of the holiday season so was not carrying passengers.

Also, on another occasion, on 2nd March 1989 to be precise, a Dan Air London HS-748 registration G-BFLL on flight DA141 from Newcastle to Belfast International also landed by mistake at Langford Lodge airfield. On this occasion the aircraft came to a complete stop.

It is sad that the Iran incident resulted in loss of life as well as the aircraft.

sonicruiser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
OA940 wrote:

I swear one of the hardest things for me is to find the airport visually. I always fly with GPS and even on my map I know exactly where it is and I still sometimes can’t see it until closer than you’d expect. It is one of many reasons I prefer flying Instrurment over Visual.

I am not surprised this happens. I am more surprised it doesn’t happen more often.

And if you have to find it in bad weather as was the case in this incident, then It will be so difficult you can forget about it.

dara88

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:33 am

sonicruiser wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion; if the downed 707 is c/n 21128, it was originally 5-8312 IRIAF, more recently EP-SHK of Saha Air, reverted briefly to 5-8312, and most recently flew as EP-CPP

That 707 has got a flag on it’s tail. Could be 5-8304.

LAXLHR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Seems part of the fuselage held up well, as did the house.

Back when humans still designed and built great structures... AND planes.

Gonzalo

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:48 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Seems we have all too soon forgotten about the Dreamlifter which landed at Jabara Airport in Wichita, KS instead of landing at McConnell AFB. http://avherald.com/h?article=46bcd7c5

And what about the C-17 that landed on a small commuter airstrip instead of McDill AFB ?
There are videos of the landing and the subsequent take off of that incident, sadly this time in Irán the things ended so tragically.

Rgds.
G.

N14AZ

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 am

Another example: during the Vietnam War, a DC-8 landed on the wrong airfield in South Vietnam. Take-off from the airfield can be seen here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvK6enoQDg

USAirKid

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 am

If this was an Iranian civilian 707, would the US NTSB be on the accident investigation team? I know they'd be invited if it happened in many other countries, but the US and Iran's relationship is not good.

jupiter2

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 am

N14AZ wrote:
Another example: during the Vietnam War, a DC-8 landed on the wrong airfield in South Vietnam. Take-off from the airfield can be seen here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvK6enoQDg

Nice video, though the hard part would’ve been the landing, especially at 2am and not expecting that short runway. The runway end lights would’ve got their attention real quick.

neutrino

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:39 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

If I remember correctly, the house is still there, and the name on the gate is still

As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.

N14AZ

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 am

neutrino wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

As perfect as a crash landing onto a rooftop could be. So nicely perched. Straight and level.
When the house was renovated/restored, was the plane left as is? Would make an interesting beyond-attic upper floor, with some additional truss support.

I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.

jupiter2

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am

N14AZ wrote:
neutrino wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

I think this is an optical illusion. It’s a DC 3 landing in the background. But it took me some minutes to realize that.

Take a moment to look it up, it’s real.

N14AZ

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

jupiter2 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
neutrino wrote:

Wow, unbelievable...I did it and found several Pictures, for example this one (others are protected, as far as I understand)
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/ ... h=12a30438

neutrino

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am

jupiter2 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
neutrino wrote:

Thank you. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but they're still good enough. :)

jupiter2

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:18 am

neutrino wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Thank you. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but they're still good enough. :)

All good, you’re not the type to make something like that up.

An amazing incident though and no injuries to anyone adds to the story.

Unfortunately we can’t say the same for this incident in Iran.

sonicruiser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Seems we have all too soon forgotten about the Dreamlifter which landed at Jabara Airport in Wichita, KS instead of landing at McConnell AFB. http://avherald.com/h?article=46bcd7c5

And what about the C-17 that landed on a small commuter airstrip instead of McDill AFB ?
There are videos of the landing and the subsequent take off of that incident, sadly this time in Irán the things ended so tragically.

Rgds.
G.

C17 is designed as a short takeoff/landing aircraft so the runway was still within limits

Gonzalo

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Rgds.
G.

C17 is designed as a short takeoff/landing aircraft so the runway was still within limits

I’m pointing this out as another case where the flight crew performed a landing at the wrong Airport.
The C17 can have all the STOL capabilities of the world but if you land in the wrong place you can collide with something in the runway and kill someone, just because you shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Rgds.
G.

FlyXLsa

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
I swear one of the hardest things for me is to find the airport visually. I always fly with GPS and even on my map I know exactly where it is and I still sometimes can’t see it until closer than you’d expect. It is one of many reasons I prefer flying Instrument over Visual.

Excellent... So it's NOT just me that has this problem!!! :cool2:

AirlineCritic

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Given that the fuselage was relatively intact, I'm surprised that there were no more survivors. I do understand though that the pointy end may have been smashed :-(

PA727

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Back in 1997, I was a local sports reporter in Fayetteville, Arkansas and flying back from EWR with the basketball team after the NIT finals at Madison Square Garden. Instead of landing at Fayetteville's Drake Field, we landed at Springdale Municipal airport, which had a much shorter runway.

The captain compounded the error by trying to use the reversers to get to the taxiway, which only tore up the concrete and asphalt. Nothing like a college basketball team and it's traveling party dragging luggage down the taxiway back to the "terminal" at the municipal airport. Even more exciting, watching that plane rocket off the now even shorter runway (damage) the next morning. There were some nervous trees at the end of that runway. :)

Bottom line, it does happen, but thankfully it doesn't usually end as badly as this. Sympathies to those impacted.

345tas

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Yet another case of a fatal plane crash with only one survivor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _incidents

I know nothing about statistics but this does seem slightly strange. Last such incident was only in May, the Cubana de Aviación crash in Havana.