Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

by738

Re: Rumor: British Airways to paint 4 aircraft in retro livery

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Eurowingsa320 wrote:
Remember BA CityFlyer are due 4 Embraer 190s maybe it’s these aircraft.

Its not. Its mainline company, not BACF.

B764er

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 pm

The Comet's livery would suit a dreamliner perfectly!

Elshad

Re: British Airways to paint 4 aircraft in retro livery

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 pm

zappomatic wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Landor retro on the A350-1000 would be phenomenal.

Yet they are "alleged" to be launching a new BA livery on the A350 this year too.

Livery will be unchanged from the current scheme, plus the Chatham Flag tail design repeated on the wing tips.

Like the Comair 737s operated on behalf of BA

Arion640

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 pm

zappomatic wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
lostsound wrote:

Yet they are "alleged" to be launching a new BA livery on the A350 this year too.

Livery will be unchanged from the current scheme, plus the Chatham Flag tail design repeated on the wing tips.

I’ll wait and see how that one works out before judging.

Just for the record, there’s no need to change the livery anyway. It has had a subtle refresh in the last few years with a lighter tone of white used on the fuselage and the crest applied. If it’s not broken no need to fix it.

speedbird52

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

Imagine needing a safe space so bad that you get offended when your airlines airplane tails don't use Red White and Blue

speedbird52

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 pm

spinotter wrote:
spartanmjf wrote:
That isn't an unveiling - it is Lady Thatcher's reaction to the "World Tails" scheme that she thought diminished the value of "British Airways." Can't say that I disagree with her sentiment.

I disagree 100%. Thatcher was being jingoistic and small-minded as usual. The world tails were among the most interesting and beautiful liveries ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_ethnic_liveries

The world tails turned Heathrow into an international art gallery. As for "flying the British flag" do you know how many years it took me to realize that that is what the BA tail is supposed to be?

concordeforever

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 am

British Airways celebrates it's centenary this year. The first service can be traced back all the way to 25th August 1919 from Hounslow Airport to Paris Le Bourget operated by Aircraft Transport and Travel (A.T. & T.).
A stylised "100" silver badge is currently being issued to all staff, and it is expected that this logo will also be stickered to all aircraft in the fleet.

There have been lots of rumours of a new colour scheme to coincide with the delivery of the first A350 later this year. As for any retro paintjobs, we shall have to wait and see, but I wish for a BOAC A380!

seabosdca

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am

Just for the sake of variety, I hope any retro liveries are applied to aircraft that never saw them originally -- I'd much rather see a Landor A350 or 787 than a Landor 744, which is old hat.

TCX69K

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 am

RRTrent wrote:
I was told from a normally reliable source that BA have two 744's heading to DUB in the next few weeks for a paint job. This isn't to say they'll be in any special livery, but just that they are getting a lick of paint. Although BA do some of their painting in DUB anyway, so it wouldn't be unusual to see them in (normally 777's).

Yes, G–BYGC/E and G–CIVB/E/Z are all due to be repainted at DUB between 25JAN and 29MAR.

G–CIVZ will receive it’s current oneworld livery so hopefully the other 4 are retro!

Flaps

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:35 am

I'd like to see BOAC, BEA, BCAL and then maybe Cambrian and Northeast. The whole WT concept should remain dead in it's crypt where it belongs.

skipness1E

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:39 am

speedbird52 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
spartanmjf wrote:
That isn't an unveiling - it is Lady Thatcher's reaction to the "World Tails" scheme that she thought diminished the value of "British Airways." Can't say that I disagree with her sentiment.

I disagree 100%. Thatcher was being jingoistic and small-minded as usual. The world tails were among the most interesting and beautiful liveries ever.

The world tails turned Heathrow into an international art gallery. As for "flying the British flag" do you know how many years it took me to realize that that is what the BA tail is supposed to be?

It even had it written on the fuselage for beginners as “Chatham Historic Dockyard”. HOW can someone calling themselves “Speedbird 52” not have known that. You would literally have had to have all of Utopia’s discussions since 1997 pass you by, anything about the Concorde livery and the first 767 to carry Chatham (for a Royal Tour) and still not know that was a Union Flag flying?? Seriously?

I recommend Specsavers.

Btw as I said earlier, marketing and branding are business fundamentals, international art galleries, your words, less so.
Last edited by skipness1E on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

skipness1E

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:40 am

TCX69K wrote:
RRTrent wrote:
I was told from a normally reliable source that BA have two 744's heading to DUB in the next few weeks for a paint job. This isn't to say they'll be in any special livery, but just that they are getting a lick of paint. Although BA do some of their painting in DUB anyway, so it wouldn't be unusual to see them in (normally 777's).

Yes, G–BYGC/E and G–CIVB/E/Z are all due to be repainted at DUB between 25JAN and 29MAR.

G–CIVZ will receive it’s current oneworld livery so hopefully the other 4 are retro!

G-CIVB/E were delivered as Landor! Time to turn the clock back?

hongkongflyer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 am

skipness1E wrote:
spinotter wrote:
spartanmjf wrote:

From a marketing and branding standpoint, they were literally meaningless. Being all things to all men meant nothing to most people. Some were good, Chelsea Rose, Benyhone and Colum had British routes and were effective but the more abstract yli got, the less on brand they were. Ayling Airways was positioned to be a world airline based in the UK, whereas Eddington rightly saw BA as a British airline serving the world.
By the time you got to African tribal art and Devonshire pottery parked next to Canadian whaling abstract at T4, the penny dropped they’d gone too far. In the 22 years since, no one has copied the strategy, with good reason. Turkish serves more of the world than BA ever did but is there a call for their tailfins to be so adorned? Anyone fancy odds on an Emirates Japanese themed bird livery? No.

Japanese are crazy with the themed livery, and some airlines adopted a similar strategy
eg. Frontier with different animals; Norwegian with different people and Jetblue's different patterns on the tails...
but I agree having all planes with different tails is a bit too much haha.

F737NG

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:32 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
Japanese are crazy with the themed livery, and some airlines adopted a similar strategy
eg. Frontier with different animals; Norwegian with different people and Jetblue's different patterns on the tails...
but I agree having all planes with different tails is a bit too much haha.

These:

And these:

Despite the different images in use, those tails have consistent branding, which represent and can be identified as Norwegian and Frontier.

These:

Do not. For me, inconsistent colouring, type of image, pattern, etc. makes it 'off-brand' and causes a break in corporate identity to which airline these tailfins once belonged.

Regarding the retro schemes, BOAC on a 744 (i/o 741), Landor on a 788 (i/o 772), Negus on an A388 (i/o 744) and BEA on an A321 (i/o BA11) would be ideal for me.
The retro paint schemes would be on different, but similar-sized aeroplanes that originally wore them.

ukjohna

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:55 am

F737NG wrote:

These:

Do not. For me, inconsistent colouring, type of image, pattern, etc. makes it 'off-brand' and causes a break in corporate identity to which airline these tailfins once belonged.

Regarding the retro schemes, BOAC on a 744 (i/o 741), Landor on a 788 (i/o 772), Negus on an A388 (i/o 744) and BEA on an A321 (i/o BA11) would be ideal for me.
The retro paint schemes would be on different, but similar-sized aeroplanes that originally wore them.

Interestingly enough, this image is a photoshopped representation. “Color down the side” (2nd from top) and “Crossing Borders - Egypt” (4th) never made it onto a 747at all, “Koguty Lowickie - Poland”, (3rd) and never made it to a classic 747. I loved the World Tails in all incarnations but doubt that we will ever see one again. I predict Landor, BOAC and Negus in order of probability. A BCal would be my choice for #4.

That said, anything is better than nothing. Come on BA, make us happy!

F737NG

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 am

ukjohna wrote:
Interestingly enough, this image is a photoshopped representation.

Well spotted. Knew I shouldn't have posted from a phone!

I'd love to see a BCal retro scheme on a 747. I think it's unlikely given the inglorious end BCal underwent.

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:11 am

TC957 wrote:
Wow ! An A-netters dream come true...

*IF* they actually place it on a widebody, or at least an aircraft likely to be seen in their worldwide network.

These would suck if they do nothing but put them on EU-flying A32X.

(still salty about QF putting "Yananyi Dreaming" on a narrowbody! :mad: )
....they could keep "Mendoowoorrji," which looks like a beached orca, though. :razz:

lostsound wrote:

Yaaaaaasssss! :cloudnine: :cloudnine:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

speedbird52

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:26 am

skipness1E wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

It even had it written on the fuselage for beginners as “Chatham Historic Dockyard”. HOW can someone calling themselves “Speedbird 52” not have known that. You would literally have had to have all of Utopia’s discussions since 1997 pass you by, anything about the Concorde livery and the first 767 to carry Chatham (for a Royal Tour) and still not know that was a Union Flag flying?? Seriously?

I recommend Specsavers.

Btw as I said earlier, marketing and branding are business fundamentals, international art galleries, your words, less so.

I am an American who grew up after the world tails had disappeared. As such, I did not see any of the 1997 discussions, or know what the significance of the "Chatam Historic Dockyard" name was for many years

LAXLHR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 am

Samrnpage wrote:
As per this tweet- https://twitter.com/jumbo747pilot/statu ... 6344714241

Not sure how true this is. Id love to see it though, BOAC, Landor, BEA being discussed.

IF true, they SHOULD do this. I would imagine the last 2 BA liveries (think 70-80s / 90s) And the beautiful BOAC. People would fall in love with BA again.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

Slug71

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:08 am

mmx747

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:52 am

Slug71 wrote:

Looks much better than the current one :)

bhxdtw

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 am

Look how beautiful those 742's look in that picture above.

I have fond memories as a boy being taken to watch planes at BHX and LHR and thus the Landor scheme will forever hold that nostalgic place in my heart. I often flew in a Landor liveried 757 to JFK/YYZ from BHX and on occasion the 767 during the summer months.

I know WT and Landor divide opinions. however sometimes we either like something or not like something because of the good or bad nostalgia that it is associated with in our minds. I personally miss seeing the Landor livery on the 742 / 744 and would gladly see it again on any BA plane. That being said I would love to see a BOAC liveried A350, 787 or even a beautiful 744.

As a side note, despite growing up with Landor, I was in high school during the WT change over in 97/98 and enjoyed the diversity at LHR. Again, they were and still are loved or hated.. kind of like marmite... but if you take out the boring suit and tie, armchair CEO analytical thinking.. they were beautiful colors and brightened up the dreariest of days in Hounslow, or wherever you were in the world. I know I'd still get a rush knowing a BA 744 was on approach and be looking forward to seeing if I got to spot a different tail scheme !!

questions

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:53 am

spinotter wrote:
spartanmjf wrote:

While I preferred the Landor livery I also liked the World Tails livery.

I also liked some of BA’s old advertising such as this commercial:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxbgm9Bmkzw

jetBlue does a great job with varying tails.

questions

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 am

Slug71 wrote:

This livery still looks good in 2019. It looks great on the A380.

ELBOB

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 am

Breathe wrote:
As BOAC, BEA, Cambrian Airways & Northeast Airlines are the original 4 airlines that were merged to create the British Airways we know today, it would make sense that they made 4 special liveries for these airlines. It would be nice to see Landor back on one of the 747's

Yes, but that was 1974. I can't see why 45 years is particularly noteworthy.

The *original* British Airways Ltd dates from 1935 and comprised Hillman Airways ( 1931 ), Spartan Air Lines ( 1933 ) and United Airways which merged with Imperial in 1939 to form BOAC.

I think this whole Twitterstorm is just some enthusiast's imagination running wild and reshaping history to conform to his wet-dream.
Last edited by ELBOB on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikarlson

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:17 am

Landor in 380 would be awesome!

cpd

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 am

F737NG wrote:
These:

Landor and those schemes above, well, all of them are really stunning. Doesn't get better. They were all beautiful and still are.

Ellofiend

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 am

bhxdtw wrote:

I have fond memories as a boy being taken to watch planes at BHX and LHR and thus the Landor scheme will forever hold that nostalgic place in my heart. I often flew in a Landor liveried 757 to JFK/YYZ from BHX and on occasion the 767 during the summer months.

I know WT and Landor divide opinions. however sometimes we either like something or not like something because of the good or bad nostalgia that it is associated with in our minds. I personally miss seeing the Landor livery on the 742 / 744 and would gladly see it again on any BA plane. That being said I would love to see a BOAC liveried A350, 787 or even a beautiful 744.

As a side note, despite growing up with Landor, I was in high school during the WT change over in 97/98 and enjoyed the diversity at LHR. Again, they were and still are loved or hated.. kind of like marmite... but if you take out the boring suit and tie, armchair CEO analytical thinking.. they were beautiful colors and brightened up the dreariest of days in Hounslow, or wherever you were in the world. I know I'd still get a rush knowing a BA 744 was on approach and be looking forward to seeing if I got to spot a different tail scheme !!

Marmite :lol: ...gets me every-time, on another note, I found these videos to be interesting probably because I had never seen a Landor aircraft with my own eyes (though we got them twice a day in Sydney but i’m an ‘03 guy so I wouldn’t know the joy of the landor livery nor the WT aircraft :banghead:
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... very+to+ba

Ellofiend

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 am

bhxdtw wrote:

Marmite :lol: ...gets me every-time, on another note, I found these videos to be interesting probably because I had never seen a Landor aircraft with my own eyes (though we got them twice a day in Sydney but i’m an ‘03 guy so I wouldn’t know the joy of the landor livery nor the WT aircraft :banghead:
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... very+to+ba

FatCat

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 am

I've read somewhere that World Tails livery was removed because ATCs' cannot immediately recognize visually the planes.
But I cannot quote since I don't remember where I did read that.
Landor on the A380 is simply stunning
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

ELBOB

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am

FatCat wrote:
I've read somewhere that World Tails livery was removed because ATCs' cannot immediately recognize visually the planes.

I'm sorry to say that the majority of ATCOs I've met can't even identify an airliner type by sight...

If it had been a problem with visual recognition then a Nowrwegian-style corporate stripe across the top of the fin would have been cheap and effective.

ojjunior

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:19 am

This:
And this:

Would be fine.

cpd

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:21 am

ELBOB wrote:
FatCat wrote:

I'm sorry to say that the majority of ATCOs I've met can't even identify an airliner type by sight...

If it had been a problem with visual recognition then a Nowrwegian-style corporate stripe across the top of the fin would have been cheap and effective.

I believe that was the plane Qantas got from BA for a while, VH-Never-Leaves-Hanger. The old story goes that ATC often confused it with a BA747 because it still had its 'Denmark' tail scheme and general BA colours but with a modestly sized Qantas logotype in place of the BA one:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747/vh-nlh/vhnlh.html

LAX772LR wrote:
....they could keep "Mendoowoorrji," which looks like a beached orca, though. :razz:

You must be the only one, everyone else around this part of the world hated the vomit comet and was glad to see the end of it. If we are realistic, the most likely option for this retro livery will likely be the Concorde Landor livery or one of those world tails. Those will be the easiest options. Concorde Landor livery was mostly white, and a world tail should also be easy.

bunumuring

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Hey guys,
I loved the World Tails and collect them in 1/400 scale diecast models.
As for four retro designs, is it possible that there may be four BA-only designs, not necessarily BOAC, BEA, Cambrian etc? Landor, Negus 'British airways', Negus 'British' and possibly Chelsea Rose as the four? Of course, any World Tail could be used but I remember around the time of the World Tails that it won a public vote on the most popular of the World Tails... Maybe for political correctness Chelsea Rose and Benyhone Tartan could be used, even possibly on opposite side of the same plane!?!?
I like the idea of the retro liveries being on either just one kind of plane (eg 747 as suggested up-thread) or on completely different types of plane and not on, for example A319, A320, A321 and a 747...
My personal favourite retro livery would be the last BOAC livery on anything BA currently fly...
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Samrnpage
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:17 pm

I get a feeling it will be to see off the 747s

tjwgrr

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Hopefully 1:1 scale of this, and not just 1:200:

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

ojjunior

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:49 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Cheers,
Bunumuring

I don't believe you, unless I see some pics.

LTU330

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:53 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
Hopefully 1:1 scale of this, and not just 1:200:

The 777-300 looks the business in BOAC colours. I really hope that they don't just do four 744s.

divemaster08

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:10 pm

This was done a few years ago on the 788, they all look very nice.

https://imgur.com/a/GHzfSh5

edit:been trying to embed it but im not so skilled it seems
My dream, is to fly, over the rainbow, so high!

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 pm

ojjunior wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Cheers,
Bunumuring

I don't believe you, unless I see some pics.
That comes across as unnecessarily hostile.
Hopefully it's just a mistake by you, and what you meant to say was "I would really like to see those".

I've found a link to one example, but it refuses to display the image here on a.net (copyright issues?)
G-BNLS Wanula Dreaming

http://www.diecast.aero/upload_files/photo_78.jpg

And here's the real thing
Nothing to see here; move along please.

26point2

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:18 pm

I say don't do BEA livery unless the wings are to be painted red...it won't look correct without the red wings.

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:20 pm

cpd wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

You must be the only one, everyone else around this part of the world hated the vomit comet and was glad to see the end of it.

You just reiterated my point:
Who else outside of "that part of the world" even got a chance to SEE IT, and thus make that determination one way or the other.....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Breathe

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm

ELBOB wrote:
Breathe wrote:
As BOAC, BEA, Cambrian Airways & Northeast Airlines are the original 4 airlines that were merged to create the British Airways we know today, it would make sense that they made 4 special liveries for these airlines. It would be nice to see Landor back on one of the 747's

Yes, but that was 1974. I can't see why 45 years is particularly noteworthy.

That's when British Airways as we know it today was formed!

ELBOB wrote:
The *original* British Airways Ltd dates from 1935 and comprised Hillman Airways ( 1931 ), Spartan Air Lines ( 1933 ) and United Airways which merged with Imperial in 1939 to form BOAC.

I think this whole Twitterstorm is just some enthusiast's imagination running wild and reshaping history to conform to his wet-dream.

If you want to go further back, Aircraft Transport and Travel was formed in 1916. BA can trace its history back to this company also.

Breathe

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
I get a feeling it will be to see off the 747s

That would be a splendid way to send them off. I personally hope that we get to see one in BOAC colours and one back in Landor.

It would be awesome if the could recreate one of their best television adverts for next year too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxbgm9Bmkzw

VC10er

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Extreme bias about to come out: I was a Creative Director at Landor when “World Tails” replaced Landor’s elegant livery. Before World Tails, in new business meetings, when we shared the BA case history- every prospective client (whether we won that account or not, no matter the kind of company we were speaking to, 100% of the time we would hear (paraphrasing) “British Airways is absolutely the best and spot on branding in the airline industry. It says what I believe BA to be, the best, most refined airline in the world”
Agreed, it probably only had another decade (or so) left before a minor refresh was needed, but because of the broad based accolades Landor/BA got, great PR, awards and more got from ithat design, we were a bit stunned to see World Tails.
The general feeling was indeed sadness to see it go away, but strategically we all felt, that it was indeed a bold move, (and bold moves should never go away) and that it would either work as intended or bomb really badly.
The Thatcher move came soon AFTER a very loud outcry from the UK population, Thatcher only used her handkerchief stunt after knowing where the Queen’s subjects stood on the matter. Had the British responded with overwhelming positive feelings for WT’s, I’m certain Thatcher wouldn’t have pulled her stunt.
Sadly, today I GET NOTHING from the current livery. I don’t hate it, but I don’t like it either. I take NO feelings at all away from it, it’s gotten boring and says nothing about what BA/UK stands for. Not modern, not cool, not even that British. AND still to this day I still don’t know what that necktie thing Flying over the “British Airways” is, or meant to communicate? But, gosh I can envision it’s creation by a young designer- and sold by a savvy agency person.
No, it’s not the worst flying livery today, but IMHO I have extremely strong positive feelings for the UK, impressive creatively, the savvy of most business people, her history and her natural beauty. There is SO MUCH that that wee group of islands have done to influence the world and a society that is so RICH in culture, that finding the right way to express the Britain in its entirety is an awesome challenge.
Sure, I’d love to see them do a whole bunch of retro liveries, but really they should create something NEW that can capture the innovation and creativity and history of London, all the way through to the purple heather covered mountains of the Scottish Highlands...
BTW: the Scottish plaid tail was my favorite.
In fact I think multiple tail designs could be awesome if each represented and celebrated the many facets of the United Kingdom (everyone knows they fly all around the world anyway) let’s see a 777 tail inspired by a Shetland Islands fisherman’s knit “jumper” sitting at GIG while a 747 Beatles tail sits at NRT, etc, etc! (just my thoughts and opinions)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

CARST

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:57 pm

VC10er wrote:
AND still to this day I still don’t know what that necktie thing Flying over the “British Airways” is, or meant to communicate?

I think you are joking, but in case you are not, that "necktie thing" should represent the old BOAC "speedbird logo". It doesn't do the old speedbird logo justice IMHO and I wish BA would adopt a modernised version of Landor, again representing style and class, everything "British", but I guess it won't happen. Mr. Cruz is too busy transforming BA into some low cost carrier and might rename it Vueling UK anyway. ;)

GDB

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:58 pm

skipness1E wrote:
spinotter wrote:
spartanmjf wrote:

From a marketing and branding standpoint, they were literally meaningless. Being all things to all men meant nothing to most people. Some were good, Chelsea Rose, Benyhone and Colum had British routes and were effective but the more abstract yli got, the less on brand they were. Ayling Airways was positioned to be a world airline based in the UK, whereas Eddington rightly saw BA as a British airline serving the world.
By the time you got to African tribal art and Devonshire pottery parked next to Canadian whaling abstract at T4, the penny dropped they’d gone too far. In the 22 years since, no one has copied the strategy, with good reason. Turkish serves more of the world than BA ever did but is there a call for their tailfins to be so adorned? Anyone fancy odds on an Emirates Japanese themed bird livery? No.

While I agree with spinotter on the old bat, who was well gone by 1997 and not just in terms of power, you have summed up the problem with Utopia well.
I think it was a not bad idea which ran out of control, a few aircraft tails with say the Chelsea Rose, the Welsh one, Scots themed too, most importantly it alienated a lot of customers.

At the time of the unveiling, I was in BA Concorde Engineering, staff had seen in model form the proposed tails, I well remember the comment by a Maintenance Worker on my shift, Stan, in his 60's, reckoned that 'they don't have any brand identity', he (and the rest of us), worked that out and we were not the smart and highly paid types behind this at Waterside.
Perhaps it was an idea by committee, Alying after all had been a Civil Servant prior to BA CEO.

The night before the unveiling, Concorde G-BOAF and a 744 (with the Aztec livery - what have we got to do with Mexico?), were in North pen Hangar, we had been assured by then that our 7 birds would have what would become the now standard Union Flag derived tail.
However one of the artists for the tails was here as well, like somebody out of 'Absolutely Fabulous', not a great impression, she asked one of our Engineers what he thought of them, usually a perfect gentlemen, Dave C had one of his eloquent eruptions!
Not long afterwards, I got to see a Tech Log from a 744, with the Calligraphy tail, the Capt had entered as a fault, 'Large deposit of a tar like substance on the tail', the 'action' being 'This is one of the new World Tails'.

As for these Retro Jets, I have heard nothing official, cost wise they would presumably do the repaints as part of a normal schedule.
In the past we have done not only the Training Trident in 2001, in final BEA livery, this was however only for ground training for that airframe.
We also marked the departure of our first 747, a -136 model, with a partial Retro livery, it was however done with surplus materials in the spare time of those doing it. Not that this stopped one no doubt top of his salary scale 747 Capt bitching in the BA News about Engineering wasting resources, (maybe the idea of doing something for no financial reward but out of loyalty was just too alien for him, though I'm sure most crews appreciated the effort).

That won't happen with any Retro Jet idea now, the people and facilities no longer exist at LHR and nearly three years of El Cheapo as CEO hasn't done anything for loyalty with staff.
I hope they do a good job of it, if they are going to adorn four aircraft, with no details I cannot speculate on what aircraft or liveries they plan to do, though I've seen some great suggestions here.

GDB

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Here is the aforementioned semi retro for G-AWNA's retirement, frighteningly for such clear and happy memories, just over 20 years ago!
Not my pic, though I made sure I got some at the time, it still retained the gray Landor upper fuselage and was on one side only.

amc737

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

I remember there was quite a long run up to the unveiling of the utopia scheme in June 1997, it was eagerly anticipated - some new aircraft deliveries where delivered in an interim scheme based on the new colours but with the old style tail still and no speedmarque - I quite liked this scheme.

What is interesting, I remember this from the time was there was no great love for the Landor scheme anymore, lets be honest apart from a freshly painted/newly delivered aircraft it looked quite tired and faded, it was also not unique as both United Airlines and Canadian International has similar grey/blue schemes. Also without getting into a political discussion it is always worth considering context, change was afoot in the UK with the Conservative government (who privatized BA) after 18 years on their way out and a fresh new Labour government coming into power. As has been mentioned Bob Ayling was a former civil servant so I can't believe this wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

I remember saying at the time it would last 2 years because while from a spotters pound of view it certainly was interesting, it was also meaningless - you didn't know what it reflected or where it was from - they soon added country of origin on the back fuselage. Then slowly utopia got dispensed with, originally just meant to be on Concorde then a 767-300 was painted to take the Queen on a tour, then half the fleet was going to have the Union flag - none of the A319 deliveries ever had a utopia scheme, and then it was gone completely.

As IAG have re branded iberia, and Aer Lingus is next I would not be surprised to see a new BA scheme in the near future.

amc737

CarbonFibre

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:31 pm

GDB wrote:
The night before the unveiling, a 744 (with the Aztec livery - what have we got to do with Mexico?), were in North pen Hangar, we had .

There was no Mexican or Aztec tail. The one you mentioned was G-BNLO with Emmly Masanabo's Ndebele.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos