AndyEastMids

Re: Rumor: British Airways to paint 4 aircraft in retro livery

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:18 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
My immediate reaction was... "too much red" (on the tail)
And then I realised there was "too much blue" (on the lower fuselage) as well!
Plus the tacky "757" on the rear upper fuselage. (Especially when there is already a nice subtle gold "Boeing 757" under the tail, on the blue)

But those features were all on G-BIKA when it was originally delivered. BA wasn't aiming for an undate when it did the 757 Negus, it was looking to reproduce the original. There are plenty of pics of the aircraft online in its original state to compare.

Andy33

Re: Confirmed: British Airways to paint 4 aircraft in retro livery

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm

ftzvika wrote:
G-BYGC has entered paintshop as BOAC according to Skyliners.

May i ask. Whats the idea of British Airways to paint Landor livery on aircraft which saposed to retire on November? Why to paint only for few months

That would suggest to me that the idea that CIVB is supposed to retire in November is just plain wrong. The current proposal is that BNLN will leave in July and CIVG in November. Instead CIVB is due an internal refurb in November. But these retirement plans do get swapped round as they try to get the maximum miles out of each plane without incurring extra expenditure
Last edited by Andy33 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VirginFlyer

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:25 pm

AndyEastMids wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Plus the tacky "757" on the rear upper fuselage. (Especially when there is already a nice subtle gold "Boeing 757" under the tail, on the blue)

But those features were all on G-BIKA when it was originally delivered. BA wasn't aiming for an undate when it did the 757 Negus, it was looking to reproduce the original. There are plenty of pics of the aircraft online in its original state to compare.

Indeed; here’s one:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Polot

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Andy33 wrote:
ftzvika wrote:

May i ask. Whats the idea of British Airways to paint Landor livery on aircraft which saposed to retire on November? Why to paint only for few months

That would suggest to me that the idea that CIVB is supposed to retire in November is just plain wrong. The current proposal is that BLNM will leave in July and CIVG in November. Instead CIVB is due an internal refurb in November. But these retirement plans do get swapped round as they try to get the maximum miles out of each plane without incurring extra expenditure

Then again we are talking about an airline that repainted one of their final 757 in the Negus livery for just a month of service, and the plane didn’t even go on display anywhere after.

So maybe the 744 is still be retired in Nov. After all in November BA’s “100th year” will almost be over, so why bother keeping it around?

destere

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Polot wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
ftzvika wrote:

That would suggest to me that the idea that CIVB is supposed to retire in November is just plain wrong. The current proposal is that BLNM will leave in July and CIVG in November. Instead CIVB is due an internal refurb in November. But these retirement plans do get swapped round as they try to get the maximum miles out of each plane without incurring extra expenditure

Then again we are talking about an airline that repainted one of their final 757 in the Negus livery for just a month of service, and the plane didn’t even go on display anywhere after.

So maybe the 744 is still be retired in Nov. After all in November BA’s “100th year” will almost be over, so why bother keeping it around?

CIVB has been confirmed to stay and receive a refurb by at least 2 sources.

JannEejit

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Crosswind wrote:
I’m not sure which bit of this wasn’t done well... seemed to be a perfect representation of the 757 in the Negus livery... bar the oneworld logo which I think is completely forgivable.

Here are assorted examples showing a lot less red paint on the tail, and less blue paint on the lower fuselage.
Let's start with two tri-jets, where the configuration of the third engine automatically forces the red higher up the tail, and leads to a predominance of white paint

The tapering tail shape of the Viscount is unique amongst these examples, and the BAC-1-11 tail is equally as broad at the top as it is at the bottom.
Neither scream red (or blue) as much as the 757 G-CPET

Two from Boeing; a 747 looking particularly "white" in bright sunshine, with the cockpit hump and upper deck obviously influencing the effect.
And a 707, offering possibly the closest airframe & tail shape to the 757. Note how the dark blue does not continue right underneath the a/c on these two Boeings

Beautiful as it is, it wouldn't be fair to show a Concorde for comparison.
And I absolutely refuse point blank to show a VC-10 in these colors as it is an abomination.

This is what a VC-10 should look like. No ifs, no buts.

You are kidding right ? Do you realise the retro 757 was painted at BA's now closed Heathrow paint shop, using original drawings and references to the original, that the tacky '757' logo was also on all of BA's original Negus fleet of 757's and furthermore that using random j-pegs to compare colour tones (especially rich red tones) is not particularly accurate ?

CarbonFibre

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
CIVB is not being retired in November.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30493813-post2742.html

Has nobody looked at this link?

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm

JannEejit wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Here are assorted examples showing a lot less red paint on the tail, and less blue paint on the lower fuselage.
Let's start with two tri-jets, where the configuration of the third engine automatically forces the red higher up the tail, and leads to a predominance of white paint
….

You are kidding right ? Do you realise the retro 757 was painted at BA's now closed Heathrow paint shop, using original drawings and references to the original, that the tacky '757' logo was also on all of BA's original Negus fleet of 757's and furthermore that using random j-pegs to compare colour tones (especially rich red tones) is not particularly accurate ?

Yes, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. And I probably explained myself badly. Mea culpa
I accept that G-CPET was a perfect copy of the original 757 livery, complete with the tacky "757". Perfectly horrible.

Unfortunately, the original 757 Negus livery was probably (IMO) the worst representation of a Negus livery.

It differed by featuring more red (that's quantity, not quality - so "random" j-pegs are perfectly valid), less white upper fuselage, and a full wrap around blue lower fuselage, in comparison to Negus livery on other aircraft designs.
So whilst it is technically accurate in terms of 757, for me it doesn't reflect the bigger picture.

In part I explained why that optical effect is evident, particularly on the tri-jets, and on the 747 because of it's cockpit hump & upper deck.

The question is this; do you want a modern day retro livery to mimic the 757 livery, or try to reflect the more general application of the Negus design?

Arguably if it is applied to a 744, then it should reflect the original Negus livery as painted on a 741.
Personally I am not so bothered, just as long as it is a fair representation, and they don't decorate the rear upper fuselage with "747"

I was trying to show how the 757 version for all it's correctness, is a different interpretation of Negus.
I apologize if I got that wrong.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

TurboJet707

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 pm

I am curious whether the 747 that will have the Negus livery will get "British airways" or just "British" titles.
Since the 70s I have been puzzled by those 'British' titles. Does anyone know what the idea behind this was? Was this a later version of the Negus livery? At the time, I had the impression that both versions were used at the same time. It may have been discussed a thousand times here, but I've never read about it.

JannEejit

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

….

Yes, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. And I probably explained myself badly. Mea culpa
I accept that G-CPET was a perfect copy of the original 757 livery, complete with the tacky "757". Perfectly horrible.

Unfortunately, the original 757 Negus livery was probably (IMO) the worst representation of a Negus livery.

It differed by featuring more red (that's quantity, not quality - so "random" j-pegs are perfectly valid), less white upper fuselage, and a full wrap around blue lower fuselage, in comparison to Negus livery on other aircraft designs.
So whilst it is technically accurate in terms of 757, for me it doesn't reflect the bigger picture.

In part I explained why that optical effect is evident, particularly on the tri-jets, and on the 747 because of it's cockpit hump & upper deck.

The question is this; do you want a modern day retro livery to mimic the 757 livery, or try to reflect the more general application of the Negus design?

Arguably if it is applied to a 744, then it should reflect the original Negus livery as painted on a 741.
Personally I am not so bothered, just as long as it is a fair representation, and they don't decorate the rear upper fuselage with "747"

I was trying to show how the 757 version for all it's correctness, is a different interpretation of Negus.
I apologize if I got that wrong.

But why would they put a tacky '747' logo on a 747 when none such existed in the first place ? The 757 was brand new when BA got it and despite receiving theirs shortly after Eastern, they were the first to order it, so presumably the logo was a way of celebrating that, much like 787 operators do today, especially launch customer ANA.

Too much blue may be attributed to the final look of Negus that omitted 'airways' from the titles and in the case of several fleet types also omitted the silver or grey underbelly section, that the 747, VC-10 and first tranche 732's had. Personally I thought it suited the 757 but looked a bit odd on certain other types.

Would I have liked to have seen a more traditional Negus livery on the latter types or indeed retro renderings ? No not really, I liked all incarnations that were produced and their subtle variations.

What is guaranteed to p*ss me off regarding these forthcoming retro schemes is the unsightly and certainly 'tacky' "Operated by British Airways" graphics they seem determined to apply.

JannEejit

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm

TurboJet707 wrote:
I am curious whether the 747 that will have the Negus livery will get "British airways" or just "British" titles.
Since the 70s I have been puzzled by those 'British' titles. Does anyone know what the idea behind this was? Was this a later version of the Negus livery? At the time, I had the impression that both versions were used at the same time. It may have been discussed a thousand times here, but I've never read about it.

It was introduced around 1980 at a time BA were starting to think in a more corporate way, less 'state owned' kind of way. They opted for British in big bold letters as a statement of future intent and overall prowess. They were used at the same time but only in livery overlap like you get with any airline livery change or tweak.

A few years later the silver top 732 appeared as further evidence of experimental livery. Ultimately this morphed into Landor ahead of privatisation.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:46 am

TurboJet707 wrote:

Some over enthusiastic advertising exec probably hoped he could make a name for himself re-branding "British" without the "Airways".
So they trialled it for a short while.(1981-84?)
Maybe he had a point; everybody had been comfortable with just "PanAm" for years, to the extent that if you used their full title, PAWA (Pan American World Airways), people would not understand what you were saying.
To be fair, in many cases it works, and it is far more common now than it was in the past.
But there is a risk when you are the national airline, and carry the name of a country in your company name.

e.g. what if British Rail, British Steel, or for that matter British Cheese, had decided to be the first to drop their identifier?

Here are a selection of other "national" airlines that have followed the same path.
I find that once people get used to seeing them, they fail to actually "see" them any more :roll:

Some airlines have retained this format for years, others swiftly returned to using the words "Airlines" or "Airways".
Nothing to see here; move along please.

TurboJet707

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks for clarifyin JannEejit and SheikhDjibouti!
At the time I thought the "British" script was a bit weird but indeed, it has got a following.

CDGIAD

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:02 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
TurboJet707 wrote:

Some over enthusiastic advertising exec probably hoped he could make a name for himself re-branding "British" without the "Airways".
Maybe he had a point; everybody had been comfortable with just "PanAm" for years, to the extent that if you used their full title, PAWA (Pan American World Airways), people would not understand what you were saying.
To be fair, in many cases it works, and it is far more common now than it was in the past.
But there is a risk when you are the national airline, and carry the name of a country in your company name.

e.g. what if British Rail, British Steel, or for that matter British Cheese, had decided to be the first to drop their identifier?

Here are a selection of other "national" airlines that have followed the same path.
I find that once people get used to seeing them, they fail to actually "see" them any more :roll:

Some airlines have retained this format for years, others swiftly returned to using the words "Airlines" or "Airways".

I actually find it really stupid to drop the Air, Airlines or Airways from your name.

South African, Scandinavian, LATAM, China Eastern, Alaska are places/adjectives that have no connection to air transport in the first place.

United for example is a pretty common adjective, reading UA inflight magazine in the middle of a sentance you'd find "our new United design", "our United team" if you miss the capital U you think "united" the adjective and not "United" the brand.
Same goes for American, but at least in many ads they still use - Airlines

ftzvika

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 am

CDGIAD wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
TurboJet707 wrote:

I actually find it really stupid to drop the Air, Airlines or Airways from your name.

South African, Scandinavian, LATAM, China Eastern, Alaska are places/adjectives that have no connection to air transport in the first place.

United for example is a pretty common adjective, reading UA inflight magazine in the middle of a sentance you'd find "our new United design", "our United team" if you miss the capital U you think "united" the adjective and not "United" the brand.
Same goes for American, but at least in many ads they still use - Airlines

I think you take it too hard! Its only a logo. And when there is color and style besides the words which makes it unic than no one get error to think its otherwise! besides if you keep going this lead than why dont you call: Chevrolet Cars jut Chevrolet? BMW cars. Wallmart food mall? Because its known logo. And easier to remember in short.

ftzvika

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Any news from G-BYGC? Should be out from painting verry soon!

skipness1E

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:59 pm

It’s leaving DUB at 0630 on Mon 18th, intentionally in the dark so as the first decent photos can be taken professionally at LHR (allegedly). So expect it into LHR at about 0800.
Btw on the subject of “British” titles, BA didn’t have a conssitent branding from the day G-AXXY was unveiled in 1973 right up to the final aircraft was Landorised in the late 80s. The merger was along and painful period. Indeed at least two B741s has “British” titles added after Jul-80 to their hybrid BOAC cheatline, BA fin colours. A horrible hotch potch of inconsistent branding which mirrored the inconsistencies of the merger.

upintheair2018

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm

First glimpse from a hangar in Dublin. www.facebook.com/groups/149607347063807 ... 126431598/

emuwarveteran

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I always think of retro liveries as some sort of portal to an alternate timeline in which airlines like BOAC still exist utilizing A350s and 777s lol
CL CRJ9, W6 A320

XLA2008

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Saw this online, thought I would share... Not sure who took the photo so cannot give credit to them, didn't see any copyrights to it. If i'm not allowed to share it then please delete the post.

But here is a sneak peak at the new BA/BOAC 747.

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

Arion640

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Now that is really something!
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

Sooner787

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 pm

Well, looks like she'll be finished by the 18th judging by that clandestine photo :)

bluesky73

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm

G-EUPU is in DUB too for repaint, perhaps a BEA livery being revealed Monday too?

From BASource
Feb 9, 2019
British Airways A319 G-EUPU positioned London Heathrow - Shannon for maintenance early this evening as BA9270.

I think it takes 7- 8 days to repaint a A32X so will also be ready at weekend or Monday. Could be wrong but seems good timing and having both at LHR Monday or next week would be good.

Hopefully someone in the know (or that secret camera) can confirm.

airzona11

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:02 am

Wow! That will be a top livery!

ftzvika

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:10 am

bluesky73 wrote:
G-EUPU is in DUB too for repaint, perhaps a BEA livery being revealed Monday too?

From BASource
Feb 9, 2019
British Airways A319 G-EUPU positioned London Heathrow - Shannon for maintenance early this evening as BA9270.

I think it takes 7- 8 days to repaint a A32X so will also be ready at weekend or Monday. Could be wrong but seems good timing and having both at LHR Monday or next week would be good.

Hopefully someone in the know (or that secret camera) can confirm.

Isnt it should to be G-EUPJ as BAE retro livery?

bluesky73

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am

Ok thanks,if it’s G-EUPJ then thats a shame as the two being ready Sunday/Monday would have been great. Still excited to finally see a BOAC 744.
Maybe when all 4 are painted they can do an inflight photo like BA did with the 4 Concordes years ago.

uta999

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am

I think BA should really milk this and paint the rest of the US East Coast 744 fleet into full BOAC livery.

All the a/c need a facelift anyway and it makes no sense just painting a single aircraft, that most people won’t get to see.
Your computer just got better

TUGMASTER

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:39 am

bluesky73 wrote:

From BASource
Feb 9, 2019

But EUPU is not in DUB...
You said it yourself, it flew LHR-SNN.

bluesky73

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 am

Sorry error re Dub.
Last edited by bluesky73 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coexstud

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 pm

I’ve got a sneak peak but don’t know how to post it of BOAC

XLA2008

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Coexstud wrote:
I’ve got a sneak peak but don’t know how to post it of BOAC

Upload the image to an image hosting website like imgbb or something similar, and then copy the link to your post on here, you click on the image icon in the full editor when writing your post and enter the link between the two [img]—-[img]. Hopefully that makes some sense perhaps someone can explain it a little better than me haha.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

Channex757

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
TurboJet707 wrote:

Do you recall the advertising campaign that went with it
"We Are British"

Fairly obvious what they were trying to do. An early attempt at the Cool Britannia sort of thing that incidentally fell flat. The spectacular debut of a 737-236 in Landor colours then followed with the restoration of the full title.

audidudi

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:46 pm

On Monday morning, G-BYGC is confirmed to depart DUB as BA100 at 08.30 and arrive at LHR at 09.55. Last few mornings have been foggy/misty, so hopefully the spotters will get some decent photos!

SQ317

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:18 pm

SQ317

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 am

Opaque

Re: British Airways to paint 4 aircraft in retro livery

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Can't see penny-pincher Cruz signing off four.

The aircraft need to be repainted after heavy maintenance anyway, so this would be cost-neutral.

Filler

Filler

by738

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 am

The design work, the purchase of different paints/shades, templates and logos are most certainly not cost neutral

A388

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:27 pm

SQ317 wrote:
https://twitter.com/BAretrojets/status/1097059863027425280 and ORD on Wednesday

This is a very handy twitter page to follow all the BA retrojets.

A388

TurboJet707

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Another sneak preview of the first 744 to be repainted:

https://t.co/vV8dcJsNrp
(https://twitter.com/British_Airways/sta ... 72288?s=09)

This one is being painted in the 60s/70s BOAC colours. The tail fin already looks very good! Can't wait to see the entire aeroplane tomorrow!

TurboJet707

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 pm

There is a '1919-2019' script on the aft fuselage

TurboJet707

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 am

G-BYGC is scheduled to depart DUB around 08:30 today and is expected to arrive at LHR 10:00 GMT. Really looking forward to the first pictures :hyper:

upintheair2018

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:12 am

A glimpse of G-BYGC in the new livery in the hangar in Dublin: https://www.facebook.com/Aviationaddict ... =3&theater

MIAspotter

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am

BAW 100 just showed up on FR24... parked in a Bus Depot tho LOL.

https://fr24.com/BAW100/1f89a0fe

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

bluesky73

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:39 am

Loving the tease photos.

G-BYGC is now on FR24

Flight BA100 from Dublin
http://fr24.com/BAW100/1f89a0fe

Exciting day

bluesky73

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:40 am

Delete my post, MIA spotter posted first.

FlapsOne

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 am

Not long now!

Incidentally does anyone know what the first retro livery was? I think the BA 757 was out in 2010 but which airline had them before that? Was it the QF retro roo?

vhtje

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 am

Video feed from a few moments ago leaving the hangar

https://www.pscp.tv/ShesGot_Claws/1OyKAypklMnKb
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

CarbonFibre

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 am

Why can't people film stuff in landscape???

vhtje

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 am

I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos