Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Air Transat's latest prank advertising

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Don't remember seeing this published in here, so here goes.

Beware of the new HR policy. Funny.

https://youtu.be/mAhQ0LifjkM

berari

Re: Air Transat's latest prank advertising

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 pm

I love it. Many vacation days go unused. I know some people with an allotment of 7, 8, 10 weeks of time off every year and it can become challenging to take time be it due to lack of interest, ideas or logistic abilities at home.

FermiParadox

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:42 pm

berari wrote:
I love it. Many vacation days go unused. I know some people with an allotment of 7, 8, 10 weeks of time off every year and it can become challenging to take time be it due to lack of interest, ideas or logistic abilities at home.

Who do you know with 10 weeks of vacation and how do I get their job? Even in Europe we only get 6!

I don't know who couldn't use 10 weeks of vacation, no shame at staying home for a few days.

WildcatYXU

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:26 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
berari wrote:

Who do you know with 10 weeks of vacation and how do I get their job? Even in Europe we only get 6!

I don't know who couldn't use 10 weeks of vacation, no shame at staying home for a few days.

I don't know where is berari from, but I knew some people with this allotment here in Canada. Including one of my former bosses. They were working for the same company for 30+ years. This era is gone, you won't find people with 10 weeks of vacation time anymore, nor people working for the same company for 30+ years.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 pm

FermiParadox wrote:

I know for that people in Switzerland have a minimum of 4 weeks, I believe this is the law.

PlymSpotter

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:20 pm

I've worked for companies with limitless time off and remote working - so long as you can still perform your job.

Perfect for me as it meant I could sandwich working days between holiday days and the weekend, and use it to visit family or stay at my vacation home.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

clrd4t8koff

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:49 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
I've worked for companies with limitless time off and remote working - so long as you can still perform your job.

Perfect for me as it meant I could sandwich working days between holiday days and the weekend, and use it to visit family or stay at my vacation home.

I work for a tech company and they give unlimited time off. Now before anyone gets too excited this “perk” sounds a lot more exciting than it really is. I don’t know anyone who can take more than 2...maybe 3 weeks off a year if they want to keep their performance up. It’s just no possible. But it’s a recruiting gimmick to get more candidates and it is nice that I don’t have to worry about accruing day or having to use vacation days to cover sick days. It also makes HR’s job a lot easier to not have to monitor who has how many days left.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

I work for a tech company and they give unlimited time off. Now before anyone gets too excited this “perk” sounds a lot more exciting than it really is. I don’t know anyone who can take more than 2...maybe 3 weeks off a year if they want to keep their performance up. It’s just no possible. But it’s a recruiting gimmick to get more candidates and it is nice that I don’t have to worry about accruing day or having to use vacation days to cover sick days. It also makes HR’s job a lot easier to not have to monitor who has how many days left.

That is a very fair comment - first company I worked for was a start up, and nobody wanted to take their foot off the gas - I think I took maybe 15 days holiday in my first a year and only then began using it to the full potential as we scaled up. The second was already a scale-up, where you had to take a minimum of 28 days per year, plus bank holidays. Having the minimum meant it was still tacked by HR, and would actually be brought up in performance reviews to make sure a work life balance was being attained.

berari

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
berari wrote:

I don't know where is berari from, but I knew some people with this allotment here in Canada. Including one of my former bosses. They were working for the same company for 30+ years. This era is gone, you won't find people with 10 weeks of vacation time anymore, nor people working for the same company for 30+ years.

I'm at 7 weeks off and it's a struggle towards the end of the year to catch up. I do manage to take it all ultimately, plane happy after all and all I need is an excuse. I have colleagues with 10+ weeks which has come with long years of service.

devron

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm

6 weeks here and I do not have enough so I am taking 9 weeks onpaid leave gets me to 15 that I can work with. Ofcourse my salary decreases but at 80k I decided I am happy and the more I make the more I take off and travel.

rbavfan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 pm

berari wrote:

They did a study and a lot of people in the US don't take their vacations because they fear someone will get a leg up on them for a promotion.

rbavfan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:23 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
berari wrote:

One job I worked let it build up. I used to take a day or 2 here and there by working the prior weekends. Worked out quite well. When they closed down & got 2 months severence pay & 10 weeks of vacation pay.

rbavfan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:

I worked a job that I was in the field year round. Loved it for the most part as I was always on vacation and time off was for home.

Amsterdam

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Its actually sad that these people are so quiet and dont have the courage to say right away what a joke hell no man!

It shows how hard they are dependent on their jobs to pay their rent

Or the video is fake i dont know

alasizon

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Its actually sad that these people are so quiet and dont have the courage to say right away what a joke hell no man!

Taking away something people don't use won't typically get a response from them.

For instance, I have 2 weeks of vacation every year plus 9-10 additional PTO days (not counting any I accrue from working extra). Last year I ended with 6-7 PTO days left over and that was after I took 3 in December just to burn some up because I could. In 2016, I ended with something like 30 PTO days and a week of vacation. For me, I just don't need to take more than 3-4 days off at a time for the most part and I'm more than happy to just keep working along and taking the time off when I need it.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

berari

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 am

devron wrote:
6 weeks here and I do not have enough so I am taking 9 weeks onpaid leave gets me to 15 that I can work with. Ofcourse my salary decreases but at 80k I decided I am happy and the more I make the more I take off and travel.

This is awesome. Even more so is having an employer that will allow you to do that. Such flexibility makes for happier employees and good workplace environment.

rbavfan wrote:
berari wrote:

They did a study and a lot of people in the US don't take their vacations because they fear someone will get a leg up on them for a promotion.

This is usually representative of the workplace environment. People tend to be married to their jobs and are always seeking the next best thing when the existing work can be managed. I'd hate to havqe an angry workaholic employee. Go, take time, I recognize your need to rest up. Some jurisdictions require employees to take 2+ weeks of vacation by law. So if you get 4 weeks, your employer has to force you to take the 2. If you choose to forfeit the rest then it's on you.

rbavfan wrote:
One job I worked let it build up. I used to take a day or 2 here and there by working the prior weekends. Worked out quite well. When they closed down & got 2 months severence pay & 10 weeks of vacation pay.

Some people do use these as "insurance" for a rainy day. But employers are catching up and restricting these as they are a huge liability.

Amsterdam wrote:

They are Canadians. Respectful. Their response was still respectful and professional.

rg787

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am

In Brazil we have 4 weeks a year by law, plus approx 10 national holidays. Most years it is hard to use it all!

26point2

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:54 am

At 30 years and counting in my profession I have never used all my vacation days in any year nor called in sick at any time. I love my job and my career and I don’t feel a need to take days off just for the hell of it. I take time off for family holidays but that’s it...maybe 2 weeks per year tops. I lose another 2 weeks as unused PTO every year. Going to work is as much fun...check that...more fun than staying at home. Did I say I love my job?

I’m a corporate pilot.

EBJ68

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 am

Just out of curiosity, what kind of corporate plane do you fly?

PlymSpotter

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm

rbavfan wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

I worked a job that I was in the field year round. Loved it for the most part as I was always on vacation and time off was for home.

I'd love to be on the road more - I really enjoy it. My current role is remote based, so I work from my own office at home. Sounds great, but I'm thinking of making a move to something involving more travel and time in the field.

Aptivaboy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm

This era is gone, you won't find people with 10 weeks of vacation time anymore, nor people working for the same company for 30+ years.

It depends upon the industry. I'm in education, and that means two months off (more or less) over summer, plus a week at Thanksgiving and Easter, and two weeks over Christmas and New Year's. And, every national holiday. Of course, that also means not being paid for that time, but it you play your cards wisely its financially do-able. And, it gives me plenty of time to indulge the traveling bug. Our sick days do continue to accumulate, and a significant portion of them, if unused, can accrue and be put towards our retirement calculation; some use them towards vacations and time off, which they shouldn't as its illegal but good luck catching them. I've currently got around 150 sick/personal days banked up over my 22 years in the classroom. Before anyone asks, we're unionized and that helps. Yeah, yeah, yeah, greedy union members... :twisted:

Aptivaboy

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 pm

This is, sadly in some ways, great in others, the future of many industries. I already have a potential "in" with an online charter school. After I retire, I can live anywhere and work remotely. The school doesn't care as long as the work gets done and the students perform. Seriously, I could retire to Maui or some such place and work part time from the beach. Who knows if it will ever happen, but its a dream I have.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos