FlightLevel360

Re: UA orders 4 More 777-300ERs - What Routes?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:15 am

airportlover wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:
EWR-PEK/PVG

I agree. Especially if United doesn’t get the second EWR-PVG flight they requested. Also maybe once they upguage these two routes to the 77W, the old 777-200s (once retrofitted) could be used on EWR-ICN, EWR-TPE, or a new African destination.

EWR-ICN would be a money maker. There's a large Korean community just north of EWR who can immensely benefit from this. I'm tired of hearing my korean friends complain of having to drive all the way to JFK.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

STT757

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 am

N649DL wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Didn’t 744s fly out of ORD in their heyday? I could see it

Those routes have since been replaced with the GE powered (Ex-CO) 777s in some cases.

I would think the additional 773s would be good for EWR to alleviate those pesky HD 777s on the European routes. Those planes are not acceptable on TATL, IMO.

Those have already been replaced by the 78J, the only remaining 77A Trans-Atlantic route is EWR-MAD. That too will probably be replaced by the 78J.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

N649DL

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 am

STT757 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Didn’t 744s fly out of ORD in their heyday? I could see it

Those routes have since been replaced with the GE powered (Ex-CO) 777s in some cases.

I would think the additional 773s would be good for EWR to alleviate those pesky HD 777s on the European routes. Those planes are not acceptable on TATL, IMO.

Those have already been replaced by the 78J, the only remaining 77A Trans-Atlantic route is EWR-MAD. That too will probably be replaced by the 78J.

EWR-MAD is still a 77A? There's still time, that should be a 78J route.

FSDan

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 am

77H wrote:
FSDan wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:
What are the current routes?

As of Summer 2019, they will be:
SFO-LHR #1
SFO-FRA
SFO-TLV
SFO-NRT
SFO-TPE
SFO-HKG
EWR-TLV #2
EWR-BOM
EWR-NRT
EWR-HKG

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the new 77Ws serve ORD-HKG and one of the ORD-FRA frequencies. ORD-HKG is one of the longest remaining 772 routes, and those are some of the routes UA has been targeting for the 77W. I could also potentially see one of the SFO-PVG frequencies or EWR-PVG getting upgauged (but only if UA doesn't get awarded their requested 2nd EWR-PVG frequency).

I’m not sure why it keeps being suggested EWR/ORD-HKG need to be operated by the 77W simply because they are the longest 77E routes.
The 77E, even the PW-powered ones have been operating these routes for years, successfully. The 77W has 74 more seats than the Polaris configured 77E. If UA doesn’t feel they can confidently sell 74 additional seats on EWR/ORD-HKG there is no reason to upgauge.
I flew on a Polaris/PE configured PW 77E in December NRT-ORD and the aircraft looked brand new on the inside. From a hard product standpoint the 77E and 77W are 1:1 so the 77W doesn’t bring a value add in that regard either.

77H

True - the range alone doesn't justify the switch from 77E to 77W. If UA is capable of filling their 77Es to the brim with passengers and cargo and is not having any performance issues, then there would be no reason to swap the route to the larger 77W unless the demand warranted it. Was that the case with EWR-HKG? I thought I remembered hearing that the 77E was absolutely at its limits on that route, and UA couldn't take much cargo in addition to a full passenger load. Maybe I'm mis-remembering... Also, I think it's worth pointing out that while UA has been operating ORD-HKG for years on the sUA 772s, they jumped at the chance to put the more capable sCO 772s on the route this coming summer (once some capacity on other routes had been freed up by the incoming 78Js and 77Ws, and the FA groups were integrated). So UA obviously felt there was some room for improvement in the range of the aircraft operating the route.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos