a350lover
Topic Author

Norwegian to close 737s bases in PMI/TFS/LPA/FCO/PVD/SWF

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

According to internal communication from the company, the 737s bases of those bases will be discontinue from Apr19.

That affects the short-haul operations mainly of Spain and Italy smallest bases. Also long-haul ops from the 737s bases in USA.

No redundancies expected, with internal mobility offered on to ARN/OSL or 787 mainly.

Dreamliner operations wont't be affected, although they won't base pilots in AMS, FLL and BKK.

Dominion301

Re: Norwegian to close 737s bases in PMI/TFS/LPA/FCO/PVD/SWF

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Will that affect flights to any of those places?

dcajet

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

a350lover wrote:
According to internal communication from the company, the 737s bases of those bases will be discontinue from Apr19.

That affects the short-haul operations mainly of Spain and Italy smallest bases. Also long-haul ops from the 737s bases in USA.

No redundancies expected, with internal mobility offered on to ARN/OSL or 787 mainly.

Dreamliner operations wont't be affected, although they won't base pilots in AMS, FLL and BKK.

Are they closing the pilots & cabin crew bases and reducing flying as well? Or just the former?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm

So, this means what? Crew will no longer be based in those cities, or they are no longer going to fly 737s on long-haul at all?

OP's past posts seem fairly credible. So this seems oddly vague and ominous in terms of what it means. No media on Google of this yet.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I am not overly surprised.

Laudamotion (Ryanair) has opened tons of routes from Germany to Mallorca (main market). And PMI suffers from the recovery of Turkey.

Canarias a winter destination has also increasing competition from Morocco, Tunisia, Cabo Verde or Egypt.

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm

a350lover wrote:

Tickets on SWF 737s are still for sale on Norwegian.com beyond Apr19, so that leaves me a little confused. Usually that's step one if service is being suspended. That makes me think this is just a crew realignment, or perhaps related to a BREXIT reshuffling of their operating entities.

a350lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm

enilria wrote:
So, this means what? Crew will no longer be based in those cities, or they are no longer going to fly 737s on long-haul at all?

OP's past posts seem fairly credible. So this seems oddly vague and ominous in terms of what it means. No media on Google of this yet.

From what I understand, they may keep flying to these destinations, but obviously route reductions may happen too. Main 737s long-haul operation is done from Ireland, so I assume they might keep some of that. The airline hasn't informed about what are the rotues/frequencies that will see changes/cancellations. This is about crews and bases, so the info is focused on the fact that the company won't be able to keep rostering people from/to those places. We'll have to wait before we fully figure out what are the consequences for the whole network to/from those places.

It comes from a internal source who is reliable to me, but I don't have exact to the extract which the airline has communicated to employees. I don't think it'll take long before reaching the media. Unions have been informed too.
Last edited by a350lover on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

enilria wrote:
a350lover wrote:

Tickets on SWF 737s are still for sale on Norwegian.com beyond Apr19, so that leaves me a little confused. Usually that's step one if service is being suspended. That makes me think this is just a crew realignment, or perhaps related to a BREXIT reshuffling of their operating entities.

They can crew them from Dublin probably.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:31 pm

I would be very surprised if they cut SWF-DUB. Flights seems to do very well.

dcajet

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Laudamotion (Ryanair) has opened tons of routes from Germany to Mallorca (main market). And PMI suffers from the recovery of Turkey.

Canarias a winter destination has also increasing competition from Morocco, Tunisia, Cabo Verde or Egypt.

I do not believe these changes have anything to do with a competitor's expansion or new markets' offers.

Having secured financing for most if not all of 2019, Norwegian needs to start trimming its cost base. And this appears to be that, and a step in right direction.

Boof02671

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm

You can’t shrink to profitability.

Base closings are a foreshadow.

a350lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm

dcajet wrote:

Having secured financing for most if not all of 2019, Norwegian needs to start trimming its cost base. And this appears to be that, and a step in right direction.

I kind of agree on that. This can be read as "good news".

For the last couple of years we have all read pretty terrible news regarding the finances of the airline. Some people doubted they were doing enough changes and taking the situation seriously enough as to start really worrying about the cost control. Finally they seem to be reacting (together with other internal measure to cut costs), and we hope it isn't too late.

It's never nice to see how airlines close down bases and people need to relocate, sure, but these changes hopefully mean Norwegian can re-shape and become more efficient.

RL757PVD

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 pm

A crew base for 1-2 daily flights makes zero sense, and I believe they had a hard time staffing SWF too as I know they had to ground transport PVD crew there for a while.

Yes this limits operational flexibility to add new service but id rather them survive and sustain so I see this as a smart move.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
A crew base for 1-2 daily flights makes zero sense, and I believe they had a hard time staffing SWF too as I know they had to ground transport PVD crew there for a while.

Yes this limits operational flexibility to add new service but id rather them survive and sustain so I see this as a smart move.

Allegiant just announced opening a crew base in GRR yesterday. I’m not sure what the cost of a crew base really is, but it does avoid a lot of crew hotel expense.

mcdu

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

Weren't all these US based crews actually on contracts with the company OSM. So while Norwegian won't be laying off anyone as they have NO employees here to lay off! I am actually happy to see Norwegian cratering. These "employees" that will be getting the axe in the USA were risking a lot to go to work there. Just like after the Eastern strike those strikebreakers were unable to find work at the legacy carriers. These contracted Norwegian pilots will receive a similar welcome......

Mortyman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 pm

The bases being dropped are:

• In Spain: Palma de Mallorca, Gran Canaria and Tenerife
• In Italy: Rome Fiumicino
• In the United States: Stewart (outside New York) and Providence, Rhode Island (outside Boston)
• In addition, Norwegian will close down the bases for long-distance pilots in Amsterdam, Bangkok and Fort Lauderdale, Florida (the cabin crew here is not affected).

jmmadrid

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Norwegian's Spanish cabin crews are paid much less (I want to say half) than their scandi counterparts. Replacing them with OSL or ARN based crew is hardly a way to save...

a350lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Hotels are expensive, but that's quite controllable and fixed costs. We all know airlines find agreements and sign contracts for several months under special rates and conditions for crews overnights. On the other hand, having a base, especially when of little size produces some costs which you won't be able to minimize.

-Need of crews on stand-by. At least in Europe that is considered a duty, and as a duty it HAS to be paid. Most of the Norwegian crews in Spain are rostered with something like 6-10 SBYs per month which often end up in nothing. Can't happen much when you are based in a place which sees 5-10-15 planes operating per day, but still the airline needs to secure the operation in that way.
-Need of specific roster patterns for every base. All the affected bases operate on a 2 sector/day pattern, with normally just 4 flights per day. One crew flies in the morning, the second one flies in the evening. OSL or ARN bases often see up to 5 even 6 sector days for each crew. Last one maybe dead-heading.
-Crew requests. You have to roster them attending to their day off requests, permits, reductions, leave... that is a bit conditioning for maximizing the efficiency of the operation.

Regarding the Spanish domestic network, only TFS-BIO won't be possible to operate after Tenerife closes. Most of the operation can be maintained (if profitable), and they will just have to operate it from MAD/BCN bases which may even grow. Same with Scandinavia. I believe routes like LPA-ARN/OSL can be flown returning home (Ryanair does that, i.e TFS-NYO-TFS). For many patterns, Norwegian already sends crews to hotels doing something like.... OSL-TRD (night1) TRD-LPA (night 2), LPA-TRD-OSL (back in base).
Last edited by a350lover on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:20 pm

It hit the press. This article seems to say Norwegian will exit narrowbody transatlantic service. I’d argue the 787s do worse than the 737s.

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2019 ... e-and-u-s/

FSDan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

If you have over-expanded in the first place, you can.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Boof02671

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:27 pm

I do believe the US based are Norwegian Employees and are unionized with a contract.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... 11dc711a3a

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 pm

enilria wrote:
It hit the press. This article seems to say Norwegian will exit narrowbody transatlantic service. I’d argue the 787s do worse than the 737s.

With this and WOW's significant pullback we can see the ULCC TATL bubble has been duly popped. Good for remaining carriers; not good for passengers seeking cheap fares.

Mortyman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
enilria wrote:

With this and WOW's significant pullback we can see the ULCC TATL bubble has been duly popped. Good for remaining carriers; not good for passengers seeking cheap fares.

Huh ? Norwegian is still in the game with a large amount of long haul routes and short haul routes.

a350lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm

enilria wrote:
I’d argue the 787s do worse than the 737s.

This past December Norwegian reached an agreement with RR...

"In an end-of-year update, Norwegian said that it has “reached an agreement” with Rolls which will have a positive effect on the airline’s finances from the first quarter of 2019.

“Norwegian’s long-haul operation has been disrupted by challenges with the Rolls-Royce engines on the Dreamliners.

“The company has now reached an agreement with Rolls-Royce which will have a positive effect from the first quarter of 2019. The commercial terms of the agreement remain confidential,” the carrier said"

I am not sure to what extent this agreement can mean Norwegian doesn't want (just yet) to make any changes on the long-haul network. Some parts of the terms and conditions of that confidential agreement may have included figures of the use Norwegian excepts to have of its current fleet of 787s... so maybe they just don't want to make any changes affecting that right now?

From a crewing point of view, which is what this change seems to be all about, rostering long-haul isn't that complicated per base. Norwegian use the 787 crew across the whole network, with the exception of Thai crews I believe, which aren't rostered services to the US anymore I believe? It is common to see BCN crews flying patterns like BCN-OAK-ARN-KBV-CPH-BCN (dead-heading the CPH-BCN short-haul sector).

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:25 pm

Yeah it's bad.

“The company has reached a point where it needs to make necessary adjustments to its route portfolio in order to improve the sustainability and financial performance in this very competitive environment,” Helga Bollmann Leknes, Norwegian Air’s Chief Commercial Officer, said in a statement to Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-norw ... SKCN1PA2HH

A388

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

How well is Norwegian's base in PTP (Guadeloupe) in the Caribbean doing?

A388

SCQ83

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

And Primera Air going bankrupt.

eoinr02

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:34 pm

JAmie2k9

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Irish Routes:

Norwegian Air says there will be no impact to flights in and out of Ireland as a result of a decision to discontinue some services.

The budget airline is planning to cut a number of routes in Europe and to the United States and the Middle East, as well as shutting some bases, as part of a cost-cutting plan announced last month.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1023693/?__twitt ... ssion=true

iflyalexair

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:43 pm

The routes from SWF are not being cut. The base is being closed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0 ... egian-air/

skystar767

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Friend who is a pilot for DA out of FLL just told me DA closed the pilot base indefinitely as of today.

AAR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

These savings are not enough in any way... even if NAS sell the planes they gain cash but not equity and since they have ordered large numbers of planes a profit must be shared with Airbus and Boeing..

NAS is expected to have heavy losses in 2019 and 2020.. there will come much heavier savings soon ... 2billion NOK is not enough

a350lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Next round I guess it’ll have the long haul operation in the front page. Barcelona, Rome and Paris might be in the headlines:(

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 pm

a350lover wrote:
Next round I guess it’ll have the long haul operation in the front page. Barcelona, Rome and Paris might be in the headlines:(

Those are Dreamliners, but this appears to be 737s

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 pm

AAR wrote:
These savings are not enough in any way... even if NAS sell the planes they gain cash but not equity and since they have ordered large numbers of planes a profit must be shared with Airbus and Boeing..

NAS is expected to have heavy losses in 2019 and 2020.. there will come much heavier savings soon ... 2billion NOK is not enough

Indeed it's not enough, but it's a start. More needs to be done.

So far, Norwegian had the fares of an LCC but the operating costs of a legacy. That's not sustainable. Legacies got higher fares for a reason, their costs are higher too and those need to be covered by higher fares. Now they've started cutting their costs. LCCs can be very successful if they got low operating costs. For too long Norwegian let that linger, now they're finally doing something with it.

AAR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 pm

If NAS should have positive chance to survive they must bring down the numbers of employees to less than 3000, and only operate in Scandinavia + Finland with maybe 45 airplanes, long haul must be closed down now... better today than tomorrow.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 pm

enilria wrote:
a350lover wrote:

He's talking about the next round, because for sure this isn't the only step Norwegian is making to become profitable. It's the first, but more will follow.

I agree those long haul bases can very well close, Norwegian can funnel those passengers through their other hubs instead of providing direct flights. A flight from Rome to Copenhagen in time to capture the flight from Copenhagen to New York can eliminate the need for a direct flight from Rome to New York. Those passengers can travel through Copenhagen.

AAR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 pm

The bank ABG Sundal Collier made an announcement last week they expect equity to be lost in 1Q 2019. Other banks have similar estimations I have seen them..

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 pm

AAR wrote:
If NAS should have positive chance to survive they must bring down the numbers of employees to less than 3000, and only operate in Scandinavia + Finland with maybe 45 airplanes, long haul must be closed down now... better today than tomorrow.

That's a bit too radical in my opinion, but I agree they should use their home market Scandinavia as a base. From there they can also operate flights to elsewhere in Europe and even some long haul. Any route that doesn't touch Scandinavia should be axed, this includes the closure of their Gatwick base. Gatwick should be no more than a destination with a few flights to their Scandinavian hubs, traffic to elsewhere can be funneled through there.

Their long haul flights can be profitable if they can funnel the demand from all of Europe through one or two points, which logically should be at their home bases in Scandinavia. Multiple "parallel" flights from several European airports only compete with each other and reduce the profitability of both flights.

AAR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:51 pm

NAS will not inform how much they have in cash..... 4Q of 2018 was bad and they will receive 190 airplanes more before end of 2020 ...

Miamiairport

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 pm

The ULCC theme for International doesn't seem to work well in the US as hoped. Now you tell paxs they will have to connect through a European hub thereby prolonging the agony shoved into a tight Y seat. Sorry I don't see it.

BlueTrue

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 pm

PatrickZ80

Why are you so against Norwegian operations at Gatwick? You seem to be very negative in all your comments.

enilria

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:36 pm

enilria wrote:
a350lover wrote:

I am being told that this will not significantly affect the Transatlantic 737 operation except to move the crew bases back to Europe like they used to be. I'm not sure if the Caribbean operation was still planned, but it sounds like that is gone as they likely couldn't crew it from Europe. So either the cuts are just the Caribbean operation or there will be 787 route cuts announced, unless I'm being misled.

a350lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:47 pm

In a briefly review to the network of those Spanish bases that will be shut down, we can clearly see Germany is the market which without doubt will see the drop of routes. Taking into account the routes which link PMI/LPA/TFS to cities where Norwegian has not a base, from these 3 airports we get the following:

From Palma (PMI)
-MUC
-DUS
-AAL

From Gran Canaria (LPA)
-MUC
-DUS
-HAM
-CGN
-SXF
-AAL

From Tenerife:
-FCO
-CGN
-HAM
-SXF
-DUS
-MUC
-BIO

Not having a base doesn't necessarily have to mean they will 100% discontinue the route. They may always want to consider layovers, but, most of the routes aren't daily so I'd assume these are the ones which will be going.

degenfly

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 pm

According to this article (Norwegian) the route cuts will mainly be frequency reductions on routes from Spain to Northern Europe.

https://e24.no/boers-og-finans/norwegia ... r/24541991

dcajet

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Base closings are a foreshadow.

Yes it can if the growth has not been successful. Many airlines have reduced their footprint and they are a success story. Example: Qantas or BA.

rbavfan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Why does PMI in Spain suffer from Turkeys recovery.

Mortyman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 pm

AAR wrote:

Not just a bit over dramatic are you ?

holcakker

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 pm

rbavfan wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Why does PMI in Spain suffer from Turkeys recovery.

Don't see Mallorca suffering: 29 million pax (+4%) in 2018, even December was +21% compared to 2017.
Off season is getting stronger and stronger while the season is suffering from mass tourism if anything.

SurfandSnow

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 pm

I assume Norwegian has a crew base at DUB? What with DUB-YHM starting soon and DUB-PVD/SWF seeming to be the only truly viable transatlantic services operated by the 737s from those secondary U.S. airports, it seems far more logical to have one Irish base rather than 2 American bases. While existing services from PVD and SWF are probably safe (for now), the base closures likely indicate that Norwegian sees no opportunities to grow those operations. No surprise there, since Brexit seems to be getting worse - and there just isn't much Norwegian could do from the U.S. with 737s beyond Ireland and the U.K. Ultimately, if South Florida ops are shifted to MIA and FLL abandoned entirely, whilst it has been said that the entire OAK operation may very well end up at SFO, I see no reason for Norwegian to continue serving airports that most Europeans and even many Americans have never heard of. The yields are simply so much better at BOS, EWR and JFK.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos