ual763

Re: First Look: United reveals new uniforms

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:20 am

smi0006 wrote:
Can someone from UA share the full collection? No point judging half - be good to see their style and grooming guide too to understand standards.

Grooming guide is quite strict, tbh. The problem is, because of the unions, a lot of employees just simply don't care, because they know they'll have the union to protect them. Grooming/appearance is almost untouchable unfortunately.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Chemist

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 am

This is your destiny, Luke.

adambrau

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 am

These are the most hideous uniforms I have ever seen. Ugly colors except the purple female FA accents, Tommy Bahama-esq ground staff (really?), and overly complicated accents and styles. How does this match up with Polaris. Simple, elegant, professional they are not. FAIL. Please tell me you are going to start over from scratch, United. Teal ground staff ties - how did this happen? Just go to Ralph Lauren or J Crew - they will hook you up. I can't imagine what the employees are thinking tonight...
Let's keep the skies friendly.

global2

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:47 am

Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

LOL, exactly! This is a "uniform"? It looks more like "My uniform is at the cleaners so I just threw on this sweatshirt instead". I'm sorry but it looks totally unprofessional.
The rest are a bit all over the place but overall alright. I think the customer service people got the better end of this deal.

ual763

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 am

Will guy pilots also get the wool overcoats or just the ladies? Not a fan of the raincoat style coat the male pilot is wearing. I prefer the conservative professional look of the wool.

iahcsr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 am

adambrau wrote:
These are the most hideous uniforms I have ever seen. Ugly colors except the purple female FA accents, Tommy Bahama-esq ground staff (really?), and overly complicated accents and styles. How does this match up with Polaris. Simple, elegant, professional they are not. FAIL. Please tell me you are going to start over from scratch, United. Teal ground staff ties - how did this happen? Just go to Ralph Lauren or J Crew - they will hook you up. I can't imagine what the employees are thinking tonight...

Oh I know what they’re thinking... one of them anyway.. She’s posting to the employee website saying exactly why these female designs are not practical or functional in an airport environment. Kimono, bathrobe, poncho, workout clothing , looking like Frosty the Snowman are some of the words she’s used. She likes most of the looks for the other work groups, but definitely not the female airport services.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

iahcsr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:29 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:

What is seen here isn’t everything that will be on offer next year. There will definitely be a variety of shirts, ties, scarfs, a vest, sweater vest, etc to mix and match.... just as there is now.

B737900ER

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 am

UA is making the same mistake they’ve always made when it comes to uniforms. No uniformity. You’ll still have 10 FAs on a flight dressed 19 different ways. They will still look like a random collection of people. If you want a professional looking crew, follow the lead of most global airlines and put out one standard look.

It amazes me that they consult with designers who take a year to come up with prints out of a 2002 JC Penney catalog.

dopplerd

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 am

B737900ER wrote:
UA is making the same mistake they’ve always made when it comes to uniforms. No uniformity. You’ll still have 10 FAs on a flight dressed 19 different ways. They will still look like a random collection of people. If you want a professional looking crew, follow the lead of most global airlines and put out one standard look.

It amazes me that they consult with designers who take a year to come up with prints out of a 2002 JC Penney catalog.

I've long thought the same thing. I mean it's called a "uniform" for a reason. I get that people have individual preferences but there could certainly be a more cohesive design language for a given job area.

spacecadet

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:29 am

There are too many different looks, and some of them seem like they should be pretty obvious first-round cuts in the approval process. I don't understand why they need so many different designs when some of them are reasonably professional while others look like something you'd throw on because it's the only thing you have that's clean.

I do also feel like the swooping teal stripes look very 90's, though.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

EK770

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:40 am

As with most US carriers, they have taken the 'uni-' of out uniform, should be called a 'poly-form' or something.... As a collection, it looks like it was designed for about five different airlines, which have totally unrelated branding and colour palettes.

N649DL

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 am

ual763 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
OMG to the Hawaiian shirt and khakis shorts. That's like my everyday attire in the summer, love it.

The rest of the uniforms remind me of something straight out of the 1980s. The Men's pilot and F/A uniforms look like the legacy UAL uniforms they got in 2006 and had until shortly after the merger.

I have to say I really like them. I didn't realize how little gold there is, I think y'all are right a new livery is coming. Some of the dresses have lines that remind me of a sideways "U" logo. Interesting color choice with turquoise and purple, I wonder where they got that from?

You know, I’m wondering who the Hawaiian shirts are for? I’m assuming CSA’s in Guam/HNL/Tropical outstation. Surely, FAs will never be wearing shorts? Haha but then again, SWA FAs have an option of wearing Dickies shorts (which makes them look more like a rap agent imo). Overall, I like these (except for #4 & #5). I am quite upset though about the pilot uniform not having the gold stripes anymore. Silver is so AAL...

Yah, exactly. I thought it would be weird for cabin crews to wear it as well. But then again, if I can pull it off in Los Angeles, why not? It's hilarious at a minimum.

I wonder if UAL ever contacted Patagonia at all? Living in Denver for A bit, i felt that was the greatest jacket ever for the random weather in Colorado.

TWA1985

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:40 am

This is far better than the bland, boring, uninspired uniforms AA is about to roll out. While I may not like everything about UA’s choices, they sure are a lot make exciting than what blAAh is about to introduce.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

laca773

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 am

Very disappointing. It doesn't look like much time or effort was put into this. UA could have hired a great designer to create a wardrobe the rank & file @ UA will want to wear.
Who designed this stuff? Cintas?

questions

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:00 am

The female FA dress looks good. Note to Tracy Reese: “Premium Purple” is too much of a rip off of your client’s (UA) competitor’s (DL) female FA uniform. Use imagination.

The male FA uniform looks like something Liberace would wear as a flight attendant. I’m sure The Gays are going to get a good chuckle out of seeing The Straights wearing that uniform. Gurl just needs to accessorize with a lavender boa and she’ll be ready for the Polaris Cocktail Service. Cosmos? Cosmos? :D

The iridescent, mumu style, bingo parlor blouse on the female FA is hideous. No doubt it will be THE choice among the unkempt, Croc-wearing FA population.

Given the demands of the job, I can’t imagine the (female FA) blanket wrap will be very practical.

The female CS uniform is just off. Note to Tracy Reese: don’t design a uniform that looks like your client’s (UA) competitor’s (AS) livery. Duh.

The amusement park uniform with untucked shirt in a late 80’s print is totally out of place.

I thought UA did a really good job with the Polaris Club and cabin designs. This work though is completely underwhelming. It lacks style, brand integration and polish.

Around the world and two thumbs down.

iahcsr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 am

laca773 wrote:
Very disappointing. It doesn't look like much time or effort was put into this. UA could have hired a great designer to create a wardrobe the rank & file @ UA will want to wear.
Who designed this stuff? Cintas?

Tracy Reese and Brooks Brothers

smi0006

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:23 am

With no press release from UA, and nothing on social media - are we sure this is the final design? Ready for public reveal?

flyguy84
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am

smi0006 wrote:
With no press release from UA, and nothing on social media - are we sure this is the final design? Ready for public reveal?

Yes. They were also posted internally, albeit with additional looks.
SFO

questions

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

smi0006 wrote:

https://hub.united.com/united-uniforms- ... elltitem14

aviationaware

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 am

How does it work these days? Do aircrew still get a deduction out of their salary for their uniforms or is it an airline expense?

flyguy84
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:45 am

Wear tests for inflight/flight ops/customer service will begin with the pieces in the current color palette to test form/fit and functionality. Later this year, they will proceed with the wear test in the new palette. Final roll-out in 2020.

The pieces by Carhartt are in their final wear test phase at this time and will begin fitting sessions at the largest stations in the spring with full roll-out by the Fall.
SFO

avier

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:49 am

Seems like most airlines want some of the purple/lilac/violet shades in their uniform or cabin product, despite it having no resemblance to the airlines brand & livery colours.
    Like some airlines are all blue on the outside, but have bright orange unifroms. :shock:
    Many such unrelatable colours to the airlines main brand.

JayWings

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 pm

These colors seem chaotic and picked at random. Seafoam, lavender, maroon, etc... it just doesn’t relate or come across as a cohesive collection to me.

TVNWZ

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 pm

OA412 wrote:
    Overall they’re not bad, nothing groundbreaking, but also not awful, other than that FA blouse thing. That thing is hideous. I agree the color palette is sort of all over the place, which Amy point to a new livery.

Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

Seriously, what the hell is this? It appears to be some sort of blouse, and boy is it ugly!

What do you expect pregnant FA’s wear?

airzim

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm

I suspect the picture of the flight attendant with blouse is throwing everyone off. If you look at the picture of the FA wearing the trench coat, you can see the same pattern blouse underneath. If that blouse was better fitting/tucked in, it’s not nearly as off putting.

The ramp and catering uniforms look great. I’m not sure about the Green in the ground crew uniforms, but perhaps more of that color is coming in other aspects of a new livery.

As for the FA uniforms, they immediately reminded me of Qantas. Generally not too bad. Although I agree the male uniform needs to be toned down, a lot! The piping is too much and unnecessary.

I’m glad they didn’t go the Delta route. Almost universally, the DL female uniforms look terrible. The red suit is an eyesore and looks terrible on anyone with extra weight. The purple with the blouse with bow makes them look like clowns. This UA design is more conservative and safe. Just mixing up the color combinations.

ual763

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:22 pm

And just to address some comments about the shawl or whatever it’s called being obtrusive to duties on board. It’s meant to be an option for a sort of coat in chilly weather when off the plane. Kind of like the cardigan they have currently.

adambrau

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:42 pm

iahcsr wrote:
    adambrau wrote:

Oh I know what they’re thinking... one of them anyway.. She’s posting to the employee website saying exactly why these female designs are not practical or functional in an airport environment. Kimono, bathrobe, poncho, workout clothing , looking like Frosty the Snowman are some of the words she’s used. She likes most of the looks for the other work groups, but definitely not the female airport services.

I think the male FA and both the male and female CSR uniforms are the most hideous of the lot. Could live with the ground and operations Carhartt style. Catering seems OK but the color accents should be uniform to CSRs and FA's. Teal green FA ties are brutal. Definitely there should be a common thread uniting the FA's, CSR's and flight crew. The frontline who deals the most with the customer. When you take the UNI out of UNITED we're left with TED - and that didn't work so well. United has been killing it on new mainline domestic and Int'l route growth, new planes, Polaris branding which finally made me wonder if the airline had finally started to regain it's mojo. And then the most important customer facing groups are going to be told to take the used wardrobe from Sesame Street? We already saw the first work in progress this summer, and since that first leak it appears that yesterday's rollout is even worse. It's been 20 years of infighting, decline or if one was charitable treading water at best - OSCAR please don't destroy all the hard work by all employees letting this uniform calamity become a reality.
    Let's keep the skies friendly.

spinotter

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

IMHO, an attempt to show that the new uniforms work with different body types. And not too badly, again IMHO.

global1

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Not bad, I guess.

I am definitely opinionated. However, that being said, I believe that out of the US4, Delta's uniform still leads. Especially with regards to a uniform look amongst ground and in-flight.Other than the male overcoat, I really don't see anything 'Brooks Brothers' in the collection.

OA412

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:36 pm

airzim wrote:
    I suspect the picture of the flight attendant with blouse is throwing everyone off. If you look at the picture of the FA wearing the trench coat, you can see the same pattern blouse underneath. If that blouse was better fitting/tucked in, it’s not nearly as off putting.

Indeed, as I took a closer look, you do appear to be correct. This seems to be the FA blouse worn with pants or a skirt. The woman in the ground staff uniform appears to be wearing the same blouse under her blazer, only in green. Yes, tucked in it may look better, but the pattern itself is still quite ugly.
    airzim wrote:
    As for the FA uniforms, they immediately reminded me of Qantas. Generally not too bad. Although I agree the male uniform needs to be toned down, a lot! The piping is too much and unnecessary.

Agree on both counts.
    TVNWZ wrote:
    What do you expect pregnant FA’s wear?
    Except these don't appear to be for pregnant FAs. It appears to be the blouse that all FAs will wear along with pants or a skirt.
    Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Veigar

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 pm

No particular disdain here from me. More colors is always nice..

ozark1

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 pm

I think both DL and UA have very nice looking uniforms. Apparently the DL ones look really stylish in person. You should look at some photos of the new AA line. I overheard a flight attendant say "They look like greeters at Wal-Mart". First it was the eternal dark blue, then it was a fairly nice looking array of items...but allergies to the fabric came into play...and now this new one. From the new aircraft color scheme to the uniform fiasco, to the removal of all IFE on narrowbody planes, AA seems to need help in the decision making department.

xjetflyer2001

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:48 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
    Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

I totally agree! Maybe it is a heat sheild for working the ovens in the galleys or something?!?!?!?

Almost...UA is starting space flights and this is the heat shield to protect from the sun

xjetflyer2001

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:51 pm

ual763 wrote:
    smi0006 wrote:
    Can someone from UA share the full collection? No point judging half - be good to see their style and grooming guide too to understand standards.

Grooming guide is quite strict, tbh. The problem is, because of the unions, a lot of employees just simply don't care, because they know they'll have the union to protect them. Grooming/appearance is almost untouchable unfortunately.

Actually, in the hubs at least, management is very strict on appearance and, if seen, will send employees home if they even have the wrong color nail polish.

TWA1985

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Compare these with American’s new uniforms, which are beyond boring in my opinion.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... t-in-2020/
    Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

N649DL

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:35 pm

ual763 wrote:
    N649DL wrote:
    OMG to the Hawaiian shirt and khakis shorts. That's like my everyday attire in the summer, love it.

The rest of the uniforms remind me of something straight out of the 1980s. The Men's pilot and F/A uniforms look like the legacy UAL uniforms they got in 2006 and had until shortly after the merger.

I have to say I really like them. I didn't realize how little gold there is, I think y'all are right a new livery is coming. Some of the dresses have lines that remind me of a sideways "U" logo. Interesting color choice with turquoise and purple, I wonder where they got that from?

You know, I’m wondering who the Hawaiian shirts are for? I’m assuming CSA’s in Guam/HNL/Tropical outstation. Surely, FAs will never be wearing shorts? Haha but then again, SWA FAs have an option of wearing Dickies shorts (which makes them look more like a rap agent imo). Overall, I like these (except for #4 & #5). I am quite upset though about the pilot uniform not having the gold stripes anymore. Silver is so AAL...

I was thinking they would be the Hawaii F/A seasonal uniforms (also thinking of SWA) but maybe it's gate staff at warm weather destinations like LAX/FLL/MCO/PHX etc.? No idea.

speedbudgie

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:49 pm

I find the 'scarf tied around the neck' look really dated and it's interesting that it persists in the US. I sometimes see this trend in other parts of the world but it seems to be a real hallmark of American aviation style.
    AA AC AF AS BA CO CJ EI HP IB IT LH LX NW QX TG TK TW U2 UA US VS VY WN

airzim

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:34 pm

N649DL wrote:
    ual763 wrote:
    N649DL wrote:

I was thinking they would be the Hawaii F/A seasonal uniforms (also thinking of SWA) but maybe it's gate staff at warm weather destinations like LAX/FLL/MCO/PHX etc.? No idea.

That's Hawaii and Micronesia ground staff most likely. Same as today. The weather is too humid and hot and working in those suits when the terminals in these areas are predominately outside and non A/C, is not really practical.

The FA's will likely have the same uniform, with maybe a tropical theme apron as they do today.

Matt's blog shows a few more looks which might be more predominate than the colorful ones shown above. Classic pantsuits, wrap dress, and blazer options for the females. More photos of the blouses in different colors and tucked in.

Purple jacket for the women is interesting. It also looks like the female trench coat is reversible (gray/navy)

Not much new for the men, short/long sleeve shirts. Blue with silver trim jacket for the men.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... -uniforms/

ScottB

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

A fashion felony.

N649DL

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:18 pm

airzim wrote:
    N649DL wrote:
    ual763 wrote:

That's Hawaii and Micronesia ground staff most likely. Same as today. The weather is too humid and hot and working in those suits when the terminals in these areas are predominately outside and non A/C, is not really practical.

The FA's will likely have the same uniform, with maybe a tropical theme apron as they do today.

So does the Hawaiian shirt, khakis, and Vans shoe look get distributed outside of Hawaii and Guam? For that matter, being an F/A based in IAH in the summer is brutal as well.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm

airzim wrote:
    As for the FA uniforms, they immediately reminded me of Qantas.

Agreed, that was my first thought as well.

Incidentally that's why I disagree with many other posters saying that there must be a new livery in the works. Qantas have had that uniform for five years now, and launched a new brand/livery in that time, but the pink (sorry, fuscia) makes as little sense to the Qantas brand now as it did when it was introduced. While much newer, the same applies to Delta and plum. IMHO United will be the same. The big difference to QF and DL being that the colors used are actually part of United's brand identity with the new colour palette, as opposed to totally random.
    Worked Hard, Flew Right

GlobalAirways

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
    Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

I totally agree! Maybe it is a heat sheild for working the ovens in the galleys or something?!?!?!?

The clothing does not flatter your full-figured woman...
    There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

iahcsr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:37 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 948207002/

Keep in mind these are the now the colors UA is working with..
    Note especially the ‘Pacific Blue’

flyguy84
    Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:40 pm

iahcsr wrote:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/08/09/united-airlines-new-colors-brand-update-include-runway-gray/948207002/

Yes - this was linked in the OP.
    SFO

iahcsr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm

GlobalAirways wrote:
    gwrudolph wrote:
    Antarius wrote:

What the heck is this?

The clothing does not flatter your full-figured woman...

Believe me many of my ‘’full-figured’ colleagues are making this QUITE clearly known on the UA internal employee forums.
    Look at reply #58 above to see some of the discriptions my friend used internally.
    Last edited by iahcsr on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyguy84
    Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Here are some additional looks:

Flight Ops

Inflight

Customer Service
    SFO

iahcsr

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
    iahcsr wrote:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/08/09/united-airlines-new-colors-brand-update-include-runway-gray/948207002/

Yes ... given how long this thread is getting I thought re posting it might be useful as many will miss it otherwise.

flyguy84
    Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 pm

iahcsr wrote:
    flyguy84 wrote:
    iahcsr wrote:

Yes ... given how long this thread is getting I thought re posting it might be useful as many will miss it otherwise.

SFO

CRJ 900

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 pm

The male inflight blazer is ugly af. sorry, it just is. That would def never come out of my closet if it was my uniform. CS uniforms are much nicer. What's with the bars on the sleeves for FAs anyways? All that piping and junk on it. Looks like a cheap bellman uniform from a hotel. Keep it simple and classy and I agree, no need for 10 different looks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos