atcsundevil
Topic Author

Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 am

Please continue from the previous discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1386335

SkyVoice

Re: Kentucky Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:55 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
"Folks returning from the GLIDE Trip to Denver are suggesting Louisville/Lexington revisit the regional airport concept...last explored in the 70's....as I recall picked a site near Finchville in Shelby County. That location is @26 miles from dtwn Louisville and 45 miles from dtwn Lex; presumably both cities would connect to this new airport via light rail. SDF would be used by UPS. Airline opps would shift from SDF to this new airport. I guess LEX airline ops would also shift to this new airport. If this were to happen...probably 10-20 years away from reality. Interesting idea."

That will never happen, unless the Feds lean on Lexington & Louisville like they had to lean on Dallas & Ft. Worth back in the late 60s & early 70s. That's when the Feds made those cities get together to agree to build & support DFW. There is too much rivalry between Lexington & Louisville (and between Louisville & the rest of Kentucky, for that matter) to make such a project work. Federal transportation money needs to be spent in Kentucky (and Ohio) building a replacement to the Brent Spence Bridge across the Ohio River, a situation which is becoming more urgent every day. Besides, SDF benefits from being close to Ft. Knox, and, SDF becomes the unofficial world's busiest airport during the weekend of the Kentucky Derby!
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

Italianflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 am

Today the Louisville Regional Airport Authority announced Louisville International (for boxes) Airport will be renamed Muhammad Ali International.

ibthebigd

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:04 am

What are the 2019 numbers for LEX and SDF?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bluegrass60

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:46 pm

SDF reported 2018 passengers: 3,866,057. That was up 11.2% v 2017 Thru Feb 2019 the trend continues up 12.5% YTD.
LEX reported 2018 passengers: 1, 361,030 That was up 3.4%. Jan 2019 up 11.29% v Jan 2018

Bluegrass60

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Recently saw an Aer Lingus presentation on potential expansion into the US. SDF was at the range limit of new aircraft they are purchasing. The map also showed where Irish nationals live in the USA. Ky and Ireland are similar...both very green, horses, distilled spirits. DUB-SDF could work....

mtnwest1979

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Sure, both have horses and grass. That tells you a flight to Ireland would work lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Bluegrass60

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Talking tourism dude. Ky Bourbon Trail is the real deal. Add horse country. Business connections. DUB provides connections to Europe. SDF provides gateway to MidSouth. Why not?

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 pm

A couple of developments at SDF:
1) Refurbishing/renovating 3 RJ Gates to 2 Full Size gates in B Concourse. Wonder if this is for AA or WN or a new entrant?
2) Renderings released for Exterior renovations to Arrival and Departure Levels; part of $100M package of terminal improvements that emphasize replacement of Jet Bridges, HVAC, Elevators, Escalators and moving the rental car lot to the parking garage; other changes/adds coming for public parking; FIS - all indicating growth at SDF
3) 2019 is expected to be a record year for PAX at SDF; LAX flight is exceeding expectations so far.

adam47150

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:04 pm

Ahead of the Derby, US CBP has announced that international GA flights into SDF will now be able to clear Customs at SDF rather than enter the US through another airport before continuing on to SDF.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... ms-in.html

kwp302

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Asked an AA ticket agent at SDF how the new nonstop LAX flight was doing and she said "Really, really well. Seats are definitely getting filled." I searched the seat maps on Expert Flyer and the weekend flights have almost always been completely sold out both ways (when searching after check-in time). Weekday flights around 75% - 80% full. Good signs all around.

The airport's Facebook page also possibly hinted at the entrance of B6 or NK or both into the market. Someone commented on a post and said "We've got to get Spirit flights to Fort Lauderdale and JetBlue flights to NYC and Long Beach!" to which the airport replied "would you settle for 2 out of 3?" I personally would love to see B6 to JFK or BOS as it would open up a lot of international connection options.

SkyVoice

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 pm

kwp302 wrote:
Asked an AA ticket agent at SDF how the new nonstop LAX flight was doing and she said "Really, really well. Seats are definitely getting filled." I searched the seat maps on Expert Flyer and the weekend flights have almost always been completely sold out both ways (when searching after check-in time). Weekday flights around 75% - 80% full. Good signs all around.

I've been leery of AA at SDF ever since they completely stopped flying there (except for charters) from 1982 to 1984. But, good for them, I'm glad to hear that the LAX flight is doing well. (You didn't really expect the CSA to say anything differently, did you?)

kwp302 wrote:
The airport's Facebook page also possibly hinted at the entrance of B6 or NK or both into the market. Someone commented on a post and said "We've got to get Spirit flights to Fort Lauderdale and JetBlue flights to NYC and Long Beach!" to which the airport replied "would you settle for 2 out of 3?" I personally would love to see B6 to JFK or BOS as it would open up a lot of international connection options.

I'm not optimistic about B6 coming to SDF any time soon. They are in love with the Eastern Seaboard, the Left Coast & Florida. And, I don't have a good read on the possibility of Spirit serving SDF. I have been lobbying for NK to serve Southwest Ohio by flying to Dayton, and most of my same arguments in favor of that are also applicable to Louisville & Kentuckiana.
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

Bluegrass60

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 pm

SkyVoice - I do recall AA dropped SDF for 2 years...supposedly Crandall and the Air Board got into a pissing fight. AA did return. Then you have PI select DAY for the mini-hub v SDF....and the complete pullout of mainline by PI/US when they merged...all of that made me quit flying PI/US/AA and do almost all flying with DL and WN. Good to hear the LAX flight is doing well. Hoping that DL returns to BOS....and prefer Spirit enter v JetBlue. There is new energy at SDF as evidenced by record passenger counts and a Director/Team that are more aggressive promoters of the airport. The $100M modernization has turned into @$200M modernization and underscores the SDF stated desire to be the best small hub in the USA. I do think SDF gets BOS next....then YZZ, SFO and SEA in no particular order

kwp302

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:48 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
There is new energy at SDF as evidenced by record passenger counts and a Director/Team that are more aggressive promoters of the airport. The $100M modernization has turned into @$200M modernization

Other related news: https://insiderlouisville.com/government/transportation/muhammad-ali-international-airport-logo-renovations/
- Logo and branding for the new name (Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport) was unveiled this week
- The rental car center and cell phone lot relocation is expected to be completed by June 2020 (that's WAY sooner than I thought)
- The surface parking lots are going to be expanded (definitely needed - there were only 12, yes, TWELVE spots available in the whole lot when I flew out a couple weeks ago).
- Funding has been secured for replacing all 24 jet bridges. Several have already been replaced.

I do think SDF gets BOS next....

That same article states that BOS is the top of the list and Mann says it's the highest demand so you're probably right. DL would make the most sense with them already having a presence, but it would be nice to see another livery (B6) around the airport.

then YZZ, SFO and SEA in no particular order

Assuming you meant YYZ? I expect that to be the first international route.

Bluegrass60

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Yes....YYZ. Agree it will likely be 1st int'l. CUN would follow.

ibthebigd

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:34 pm

It'll be interesting who is 1st CUN or YYZ I think it will be a toss up to see what route is 1st

kwp302

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
It'll be interesting who is 1st CUN or YYZ I think it will be a toss up to see what route is 1st

YYZ has customs preclearance, right? So the additional CBP stuff doesn't have to be in place at SDF? If so, that flight could theoretically be announced anytime. The CUN route would have to be after additional infrastructure is in place.

YYZORD

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 pm

YYZ is more likely than BOS, SFO, and SEA. Most of the flights out of SDF are not mainline and I don't think a regional flight would work from SFO or SEA. BOS on the other hand can't offer many connections like YYZ can as YYZ can offer both not only European flights but asian flights too.

EADSYABSOB73857

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:28 pm

YYZORD wrote:
YYZ is more likely than BOS, SFO, and SEA. Most of the flights out of SDF are not mainline and I don't think a regional flight would work from SFO or SEA. BOS on the other hand can't offer many connections like YYZ can as YYZ can offer both not only European flights but asian flights too.

I would beg to differ with your assessment... while YYZ definitely offers greater connections than BOS, BOS is a major business market that SDF is prioritizing a direct link to over all other markets, due to the large O&D. What is the O&D data for SDF-YYZ? I would argue that BOS makes more sense, especially given that airport officials have clearly prioritized it- stating otherwise is telling the airport and city officials they are wrong in what they are declaring as priorities.......

johnboy

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Glad the LAX flight seems to be doing well. BOS has been on the radar screen forever, and I’m a bit stymied why nobody has jumped on it. I’d like to see B6 do this as it would give at least a new entrant at SDF. Pretty depressing to see the same names there all the time.

kwp302

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:27 pm

johnboy wrote:
Glad the LAX flight seems to be doing well. BOS has been on the radar screen forever, and I’m a bit stymied why nobody has jumped on it. I’d like to see B6 do this as it would give at least a new entrant at SDF. Pretty depressing to see the same names there all the time.

This is why I was so happy when Allegiant and Frontier started flying to SDF regularly. Finally some different liveries and more mainline-type jets instead of just RJs. Would be nice to see a few more entrants to take up the empty ticket desk space on the west side between Southwest and Delta. That area just looks sad right now.

kwp302

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:05 am

At SDF today, both the surface parking lot and the credit card parking lot were closed because they were completely full. Only garage parking was available. Not sure when the last time was that happened - if ever. SDF is going to easily eclipse the 4 million passenger count mark this year. To date, traffic is up 12.7% over 2018 (and 2018 ended ~12% higher than any year in the last decade).

In other news...with AA's announcement of the MD-80 retirement, what plane will we see on that DFW route? A320?

Jshank83

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:36 am

kwp302 wrote:
At SDF today, both the surface parking lot and the credit card parking lot were closed because they were completely full. Only garage parking was available. Not sure when the last time was that happened - if ever. SDF is going to easily eclipse the 4 million passenger count mark this year. To date, traffic is up 12.7% over 2018 (and 2018 ended ~12% higher than any year in the last decade).

In other news...with AA's announcement of the MD-80 retirement, what plane will we see on that DFW route? A320?

Looks like A319

ibthebigd

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:44 am

I usually use PARking and park at the Hampton Inn it was $4 a day last time I used it.

I have seen long term parking full on a random Friday in September before.

Bluegrass60

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 pm

From Boyd Intenational: "Regional Preference Shifts Due To New International Service. We’ve noted how EU and UK airlines (and in some cases, their US airline alliance partners) will be adding hub spokes to US non-hubsite and secondary cities. But having more international flights out of airports, such as for example, Louisville, will raise their profile and role as a regional gateway for domestic service as well." Will be interesting to see which int'l routes develop at Louisville and how it evolves as a regional gateway for domestic service as well. As SDF grows...what impact on neighboring airports?

Also from Boyd: "Increased Trans-Atlantic Access...The arrival of new-technology long-range airliners such as the A-321LR and XLR will open EU destinations from secondary US points such as Albany, Jacksonville, Columbus, and Grand Rapids. The traffic demand is there already – and the feed through EU carrier’s hubs can be substantial." Tho not mentioned, suspect that SDF is also a market that could get TATL in the future.

I wrote to soon above....also from Boyd: "Monday Update – April 1, 2019 International Access… It’s Just Starting ...New-Generation Single-Aisle Airliners Will Open Whole New Markets

With new fleets, new mission capabilities of next-generation airliners, and massive increases in international business flows, we’ve identified the top dozen US markets in line for new service across the pond.

These are airports our research indicates to be in line for EU/UK nonstops in the next 36 months. Each one has a different set of projected criteria. The demand drivers for Albany are different from those at Louisville, as are material differences between Memphis and Columbus.

But they all have key dynamics that point to high value for feed over EU airline hubs – particularly BA at LHR.

Bluegrass60

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Bluegrass60

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Boyd reits: Commercial centers such as Albany, Columbus and Louisville will be enjoying nonstops to key hubs in the E.U., opening new investment and commercial activity from all across Europe and Asia.

https://www.aviationplanning.com/monday-flash-2-2-2/

Also, SDF posted June 2019 traffic. 12.4% YoY growth. Current tracking to 4.3M for 2019 v 3.8M in 2018. Have noted sold out parking lots and sold out garage levels. June activity may have set all time record for passenger activity.

flyguy89

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Boyd reits: Commercial centers such as Albany, Columbus and Louisville will be enjoying nonstops to key hubs in the E.U., opening new investment and commercial activity from all across Europe and Asia.

https://www.aviationplanning.com/monday-flash-2-2-2/

Also, SDF posted June 2019 traffic. 12.4% YoY growth. Current tracking to 4.3M for 2019 v 3.8M in 2018. Have noted sold out parking lots and sold out garage levels. June activity may have set all time record for passenger activity.

Highly doubtful IMO that SDF gets nonstop service to Europe (unless they plan on writing a BIG check). Otherwise, glad to see the airport bustling and doing well!

Bluegrass60

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 pm

I suspect any TATL from the Boyd 12 would likely include similar incentives as provided to DL for IND-CDG; BA for BNA-LHR; CHS-LHR etc. Specifically for SDF....wonder if UPS utilizing extra lift via SDF to EU would come into play...adding to the overall attractiveness of the route? SDF-LHR or CDG or DUB or FRA or AMS are the possibilities imo.

SDFguy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:43 am

I would like to first get flights to SFO, BOS, SEA, etc before worrying about a TATL flight.

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 am

Am not worried about any of it. Just want to see SDF and the metro area live up to its potential

Cactus732

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:17 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
SDF-LHR or CDG or DUB or FRA or AMS are the possibilities imo.

DUB will definitely not happen, neither city could sustain that route on O/D alone and neither airport has huge connectivity. AMS is unlikely because the DL/AF/KLM mo has been through CDG, FRA is unlikely as LH don't seem to want to expand into the small market TATL. That leaves LHR and CDG, both of which could sustain a flight to a tiny market like SDF, but each already have nonstop flights to the region with DL to CVG and BA to BNA.

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:43 am

DUB has major connections beyond

LHR from SDF would attract from CVG, IND, LEX etc

AMS and FRA are long shots

CDG has competition at IND and CVG

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:44 am

DUB has major connections beyond

LHR from SDF would attract from CVG, IND, LEX etc

AMS and FRA are long shots

CDG has competition at IND and CVG

SkyVoice

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:46 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Am not worried about any of it. Just want to see SDF and the metro area live up to its potential

Amen, Brother ! ! ! :highfive:

Bluegrass60

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:14 pm

DL will be aggressively growing BOS from 140 to 200 departures by 2021. Very likely that SDF gets 1-2 of those new flights.

kwp302

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 pm

Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport Celebrates Continued Record Passenger Growth
Press Release Link: https://www.flylouisville.com/wp-content/uploads/Release-Louisville-Muhammad-Ali-International-Celebrates-Continued-Record-Passenger-Growth_8-1-19_FINAL.pdf

Highlights:
"Record growth continues at the Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (SDF) with an increase of 12.5% in passenger traffic for the first six-months of the year, totaling 2,049,504 passengers. This marks the busiest first and second quarters in the airport’s history."

"During the past six months, the airlines added an additional 141,093 departing seats to Louisville’s flight schedule, a 12.2% capacity increase"

"Capacity growth is strong at SDF for the remainder of 2019. American Airlines added a second daily flight to the Miami International Airport (MIA) and larger mainline aircraft on some flights to Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). Delta Air Lines added a fourth flight to New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) and Allegiant Air is extending flights to the Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport (VPS) through the winter."

"June was the busiest month in SDF’s history with 206,000 enplanements. May followed as the second busiest month with 201,000 enplanements."

kwp302

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Anyone know why YV5726 from DFW to SDF diverted to CVG this morning? No other diversions or major delays at the airport today. It circled over southern Indiana for a bit then landed in CVG at 10:20 AM and took off again for SDF at 1:04 PM.

Boeing727

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:41 am

During the approach into SDF the crew received a Slat Fault message; since the longer runway 17R/35L was not available and the East runway is considerably shorter (crew indicated that they needed at least 10,000ft runway length), it was finally decided that a diversion to CVG was required...

kwp302

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 am

Boeing727 wrote:
During the approach into SDF the crew received a Slat Fault message; since the longer runway 17R/35L was not available and the East runway is considerably shorter (crew indicated that they needed at least 10,000ft runway length), it was finally decided that a diversion to CVG was required...

Makes sense now - thanks! Was 17R/35L not available because of the construction?

kwp302

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Republic Airways announced today that they be adding 30 more planes to their fleet and 2 new bases - SDF and BOS. This is part of an expanded agreement with Delta. That SDF-BOS route announcement has to be coming soon.

jplatts

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:43 pm

kwp302 wrote:
Republic Airways announced today that they be adding 30 more planes to their fleet and 2 new bases - SDF and BOS. This is part of an expanded agreement with Delta. That SDF-BOS route announcement has to be coming soon.

I definitely could see DL adding SDF-BOS nonstop service as DL already serves BOS nonstop from some domestic destinations that aren't served by B6 such as CVG, CMH, IND, MCI, MKE, and ORF.

DL adding SDF-SLC nonstop service on E-175 regional jets is also a possibility as (a) SDF-SLC is within the range of E-175 regional jets, (b) SDF is located in one of the largest U.S. markets that doesn't have nonstop service to SLC, and (c) DL is still expanding at SLC. DL also currently operates regional jets on a few nonstop routes longer than SDF-SLC such as IAH-LGA and MCI-SEA.

Bluegrass60

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Agree that SDF-BOS seems to be on deck now. Also agree that SDF-SLC is in range of E-175. Republic already has a maintenance base at SDF. Crew base at BOS understandable as BOS is now a DL hub...and Republic will bring significant spoke traffic into BOS. What does the establishment of a crew base at SDF mean? (Mesa also operates crew base at SDF)

Here is the current roster of Republic crew bases (also maint bases): (my guesses as to why in parentheses)

Chicago, IL (O’Hare – ORD) (HUB - Republic operates spokes for AA and UA)
Columbus, OH (CMH) (non-Hub and non-Focus. Is crew base for AA, DL and UA crews operated by Republic?)
Houston, TX (IAH) (HUB - Republic operates spokes for UA)
Indianapolis, IN (IND) (non-Hub and non-Focus. Is crew base for AA, DL and UA crews operated by Republic?)
Kansas City, MO (MCI) (non-Hub and non-Focus. Is crew base for AA, DL and UA crews operated by Republic?)
Miami, FL (MIA) (HUB - Republic operates spokes for AA)
Newark, NJ (EWR) (HUB - Republic operates spokes for UA)
New York, NY (LaGuardia – LGA) (however LGA is classified with 'spokes' for AA, DL and UA)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) (HUB - Republic operates spokes for AA)
Pittsburgh, PA (PIT) (non-Hub and non-Focus. Is crew base for AA, DL and UA crews operated by Republic?)
Washington DC (Reagan National – DCA) (however DCA is classified with 'spokes' for AA, DL and UA)

Boston, MA (BOS) (HUB - Republic operates spokes for DL)
Louisville, KY (SDF) (non-Hub and non-Focus. Is crew base for AA, DL and UA crews operated by Republic?)

CLT is maintenance base but not a crew base? Seems odd as CLT is major hub for AA.

Elsewhere noted that Republic cancelled orders for A220. DL Mainline operates A220. Republic will be operating 30 more E-jets for DL by July 2020. Total of 68 for DL. Wonder if this plays into DL MD88 retirements in some fashion??

ThaneC

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 pm

The passenger market at Louisville SDF is very similar to Memphis MEM. Both are smallish cities with small demand due to weak corporate, tourism and convention travel. Both are great if you are a UPS or FedEx package, but options for nonstop passenger traffic are extremely limited.

Bluegrass60

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 pm

SDF is enjoying 12%+ pax growth for 2nd year in a row headed to 4.4M+ pax for 2019. Not sure I would agree with similar corp, tourism or convention travel as MEM.

SDF would have even larger numbers except for the fact that IND, CVG, DAY, LEX, EVV, OWB, BNA are all closer to SDF than is BNA to MEM (which is its closest major airport)...thus providing lots of options for folks willing to drive 1-2 hours.

Louisville is getting close to Tier 1 status for conventions (2 major convention facilities) and 'bourbonism' is fueling tourism growth. 6,000+ hotel rooms downtown including new Omni and 1,000 more rooms under construction downtown.

“Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, Louisville, Jacksonville, those cities have really strong growth in their downtown hotel market,’’ Pinkowski said. (Pinkowski is a MEM based hotel consultant)

The market for hotel rooms in Louisville is the fastest-growing in the nation, according to a new report from CBRE Research. The city had the biggest year-over-year increase in demand in the first quarter of 2019 at 11.4 percent. That tops the growth in demand nationally at 2.4 percent, according to the report.

Cvent’s 2018 Top 50 US Meeting Destinations, positioned Louisville at 39 out of 50. Nashville ranked #7. Memphis was not ranked.

Memphis BBQ is great and Beale St/Graceland is unique to Memphis. Louisville would love to have the NBA....but the CARDS work just fine for now

If you've not been to downtown Louisville the last 10 years....it has truly become a very vibrant and beautiful downtown...with more on the way (Soccer stadium nearing completion, Waterfront Park expansion to the West, Botanical Gardens Phase 1 opening, Whiskey Row, Museum Row).

SDF and MEM do have UPS and FX respectively. Some in IND claim the FX operation there will be larger than the FX MEM operation in 15-20 years....I am not in that camp.

Louisville and Memphis have similar MSA populations today but Louisville will likely exceed Memphis with next census as growth as been stronger (5% v 1.5% for Memphis past 10 years).
CSA population: Louisville 1.528M. Memphis 1.376M

I wish Memphis well!

ThaneC

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 am

Bottom line is that passenger service at both Louisville and Memphis are both weak.

Both SDF and MEM lack passenger demand this it’s doubtful either airport will be able to add much service in the foreseeable future. Airline planning departments affirm this as they have far more important markets to serve.

Bluegrass60

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Not sure I would classify SDF as weak. There are cities that would like NS to and/or more frequencies....but at the end of the day you can get here from there pretty easily.

The proximity to other major airports is a fact. SDF is not a hub or focus city for anyone. It would like to get added service. SDF and the community at large (business, convention and tourism) have been targeting improvements to air service. Other targets include: BOS, SFO, SEA, YZZ. Boyd Consultants suggest TATL at SDF could happen in next 2-5 yrs. The start-up Moxy might find its way here. The legacy 3 + WN might have ideas of their own to grow utilizing SDF location (it is that location that UPS found so attractive for packages...same criteria applies to people).

Airline planning departments at AA, UA, DL and WN have all made decisions that have increased routes, frequencies and equipment at SDF. AA began NS to LAX in April. UA has upgauged to ORD, EWR, IAD and DEN. AA has added freq to MIA and upgauged to ORD, DFW, LGA. DL has upguaged and added freq to LGA. WN has added DAL and HOU. Allegiant and Frontier have also made improvements

I believe that WN might re-introduce STL. RDU and BOS could happen with DL.

SDF passenger demand is up 12.5% in 2019 coming off of 12% increase last year.(That growth is noteworthy and ranks among top 10 in country) Demand is growing because: economy is strong/growing; population growth; convention and tourism growth. SDF is in late phase planning for a $200M upgrade to the terminal that includes FIS and potentially new gates. UPS ops make SDF very affordable in re landing fees and perhaps airlines could provide added lift for UPS that it and the airlines would find attractive.

All of this in the hands of a very strong airport Director and his staff who want to turn SDF into the best airport in the USA.

jplatts

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
I believe that WN might re-introduce STL.

I agree that WN re-adding SDF-STL nonstop service is a possibility as WN has brought back (or already announced plans to bring back) a few other other previously discontinued nonstop routes out of STL such as STL-CLE, STL-LIT, and STL-SLC.

ThaneC

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm

It seems that SDF and MEM are extremely similar. Both airports have pretty much the same service gaps to several key markets like BOS, RDU, SEA, STL, MSY, SF BAY, etc. This lack of nonstop flights to major business cities undoubtedly hurts the local and regional economies.

A nonstop flight to any international destination, other than Toronto, is a pipe dream for both SDF and MEM. Simply will not happen.

Both Memphis and Louisville are great for cargo, not so great for passengers.

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:24 pm

ThaneC wrote:
It seems that SDF and MEM are extremely similar. Both airports have pretty much the same service gaps to several key markets like BOS, RDU, SEA, STL, MSY, SF BAY, etc. This lack of nonstop flights to major business cities undoubtedly hurts the local and regional economies.

A nonstop flight to any international destination, other than Toronto, is a pipe dream for both SDF and MEM. Simply will not happen.

Both Memphis and Louisville are great for cargo, not so great for passengers.

It doesn't help that neither SDF or MEM have a company that is good at advocating for new routes, (Walmart-XNA, Epic Systems-MSN, Boeing-CHS, e.t.c)
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos