Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fargo
Topic Author

ORD Global Terminal proposals released

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 am

Thought this deserved it's own thread since ORD is a pretty significant air hub. The City of Chicago and the five selected architectural firms are releasing concepts for the new Global Terminal, which will replace Terminal 2 and finally provide airside international to domestic connections for UA/AA travelers. You can view the pictures/videos in the below article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-ohare-expansion-kamin-0117-story.html

Most of these look pretty ambitious and will definitely change ORD as we know it. The question is, are some of these even workable, particularly the one from
Santiago Calatrava?

What do you think?

deltaffindfw

Re: ORD Global Terminal proposals released

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 am

I hope they don't pick Calatrava. His designs are all the same - white rib looking things, overpriced and over budget.

gwrudolph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:22 am

Based on these renderings, not sure United is still going to have a hub at ORD. I don't see a single United tail anywhere :>)

alasizon

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:46 am

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill get my vote with Studio ORD being a close second.

Calatrava is a no; the rendering is based on such a large redo including a giant new garden that just isn't going to happen. Nobody goes to the airport to go to the garden and adding a corporate complex to the terminal infrastructure is just asking for traffic delays.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

FTMCPIUS

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 am

No way United gives an inch to AA at O'Hare. Nuff said.

Expansion project was needed 20+ years ago, so finally. If Rahm Emanuel ran for re-election there would somewhat of a chance for the project to be run on a fairly straight basis. But there will be a new sheriff in town. So, as a result this will get all mucked up, be riddled with corruption, years late, what doom and gloom can I add? It's Chicago--can't add enough!

flyPIT

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 am

Build it!
FLYi

Fargo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:43 am

Even though they are a bit more cookie cutter, I like the first two the best. What is needed here is a terminal that is modern, spacious and efficient. We don’t need it to be the Taj Mahal with all the little bells and whistles the last 3 are proposing.

And stay the heck away from Calatraca, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

ual763

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 am

As a sucker for vegetation and wood furnishings, I would have to pick Studio ORD.

But, I also really like the work from SOM!!

Santiago Calatrava's submission is very cool and has lots of vegetation, however, it appears to be more focused on the outside rather than the inside. I think he's forgetting that 5-6 months out of the year in Chicago, ain't nobody going to want to walk around outside... This isn't his native Spain...
From flying to the NOTAM office

Italianflyer

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:20 am

I'm loving the (badly) needed landside expansion but I fail to see where all the extra airside capacity happens. (Aside from the T-1 C gate addition).

ual763

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 am

Italianflyer wrote:
I'm loving the (badly) needed landside expansion but I fail to see where all the extra airside capacity happens. (Aside from the T-1 C gate addition).

There will be quite a few separate island concourses to the West of the C addition.

ual763

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 am

From Studio ORD's design, it looks like they also include some sort of "office space" where the current parking garage is too. Or is this just a placeholder for the rendering?

global2

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:09 am

I think I like the Studio ORD proposal best, followed by Foster-Epstein-Moreno. The Calatrava design reminds me a lot of the World Trade Center "Oculus", and you all know how much that ended up costing. SOM--what a yawn. A big rectangular box with a slightly wavy roof. Very uninspired.

drdisque

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 am

Generally if something is translucent in an architectural rendering that means it isn't part of the actual design.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 am

ual763 wrote:

From Studio ORD's design, it looks like they also include some sort of "office space" where the current parking garage is too. Or is this just a placeholder for the rendering?

Looks nice in concept however I don't see nearly enough gates to park airplanes? And isn't this the entire reason FOR the new terminals? All this looks like is a nice artistic rendering for a portrait. We'll need 30-40 gates per terminal the way it's crowded now which is why United built that terminal back in the 1980's with Land side and Air side terminals0

kordcj

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 am

The Studio ORD proposal looks the best. I like that they put trees inside. Calatrava’s design would be great if Chicago was a warm climate. I personally thought it looked great on the outside, but stale and bland on the inside.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

ual763

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Voting starts today everyone on the website linked in the article!

jetblastdubai

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:28 pm

As a sucker for airport efficiency and workable traffic flow I was hoping to see aerial renderings showing the net number of usable gates and how they are located in relation to taxiways and ramps. I understand different people look for different things in building design but this is ORD and no matter what they build, it will probably be undersized even before it's completed.

Maximizing the number of usable gates while at the same time providing ample space inside for pax handling, restaurants, security, etc. in my opinion should be absolute top priority. Trees, unique architecture, waterfalls and Gucci purse shops should not be the core focus.

I personally love the industrial, sleek, uncluttered and efficient layout of T1 (before TSA claimed imminent domain on half of the walkways). You can't beat a linear terminal for maximizing efficiency. Building multiple floors is the most efficient way to increase space while conserving acreage.

blockski

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Never hire Calatrava. https://gizmodo.com/why-cities-need-to- ... 1543063363

jetblastdubai wrote:
As a sucker for airport efficiency and workable traffic flow I was hoping to see aerial renderings showing the net number of usable gates and how they are located in relation to taxiways and ramps. I understand different people look for different things in building design but this is ORD and no matter what they build, it will probably be undersized even before it's completed.

That kind of space planning is already completed; this is purely about the architects to be hired to execute the plan.

They're not asking these architects to come up with different schemes for how to re-design the airport. They know what they're going to build; it will be a new T2 with new satellite concourses:

upperdeckfan

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm

What's the project timeframe? When is it scheduled to be opened?

I was unable to open the link, got a pop up saying that Chicago Tribune website isn't available in Europe...
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

United1

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
What's the project timeframe? When is it scheduled to be opened?

I was unable to open the link, got a pop up saying that Chicago Tribune website isn't available in Europe...

Scheduled to open in 2028...try www.VoteORD21.com
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

yeogeo

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:

Perhaps Crains will work for you:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opinion ... D=19586556

maps4ltd

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Fentress-EXP-Brook-Garza Joint Venture Partners is the one I want (number 1). I don't like too much shrubbery, and I really like DIA.
Delta Gold Medallion

Oceanic

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm

You can now vote on your favorite.

https://voteord21.flychicago.com/

I personally prefer the Foster & Partners one:

https://youtu.be/_tm2FgttO4w?list=PLfmT ... fXkIQvXqZZ

United787

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:33 pm

I have been waiting for this day for a long time. But it is really hard to judge these from a 60 second video. I would hope the real judges have more information like how the terminals flow and how many gates are included etc. But here goes:

1. Fentress-EXP-Brook-Garza - Seems most like a one-liner... the roof, which is beautiful. Clean, simple and elegant. But they don't even give a glimpse of the concourses.

2. Foster Epstein Moreno - All about the roof again but I love the enormous view south through the Zepplein-like hangar window. I like the warm color of the floors and pavilions inside the terminal in contrast to the bright white roof.

3. Studio ORD - At first I thought this was Calatrava's bid with that roof from the aerial view. I like that the designs carried through to the concourses to the west. This might be my favorite. The use of wood in the roof design sets this one apart. It also seems to have the wide open grand spaces that I think major transportation terminals should have but they also have a lot of other spaces brought down to a more comfortable scale. Some of it looks a little too chopped up or too much going on; could use a little more restraint and simplification. They also shouldn't have spent so many seconds on the standard baggage claim area, nothing ground breaking there. I like the use of green space but it will all be tropical... nothing to do with Chicago. I also like the suggestion that the space above the parking garage could be more without spending too much time on it.

4. SOM - Mixed feelings on this. The space inside will feel more exciting than you would think but the overall design lacks punch. The use of exterior green space is great, especially being able to get outside in the little courtyards; they also have an excellent landscape architect on their team (Site) so I have confidence they can pull this off. But there is no singular compelling element…

5. Calatrava - I am a huge fan of his but... I love that he is thinking big but I think his plan is too ambitious. He moved the ATS south of the roadway and into the terminal ala T5, a waste of a lot of money. If there is a case for a large business park in the middle of the terminals, great, but not part of the scope here. The SOM submittal and this one seems like the terminal space is too big... takes away from gate space.

blockski

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:11 pm

United787 wrote:
I have been waiting for this day for a long time. But it is really hard to judge these from a 60 second video. I would hope the real judges have more information like how the terminals flow and how many gates are included etc. But here goes:

The passenger flow within the terminal is important, but the architects are not determining how many gates to build. That decision has been made through the planning process. The planning process is what set the scope for the design; the city is then looking to hire an architecture firm to design it.

Last year, they put out the RFQ for firms; they selected their list of 5; each of the 5 firms gets $50,000 to develop their concept, and that's part of what you're looking at today. The actual selection team certainly has more detailed materials to look over; I hope the public would be able to see those designs eventually.

This public vote means nothing; it's all marketing.

ER757

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:26 pm

alasizon wrote:
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill get my vote with Studio ORD being a close second.

Calatrava is a no; the rendering is based on such a large redo including a giant new garden that just isn't going to happen. Nobody goes to the airport to go to the garden and adding a corporate complex to the terminal infrastructure is just asking for traffic delays.

From a practical standpoint, I agree that S.O.M. is probably best. While not visually imaginative it seems the most operationally efficient at least from what I can gather from a one minute animated video. The others are certainly more ambitious and would be darned cool to visit, but the main function of an airport terminal is to get people in, out and through. Just my :twocents:

HermansCVR580

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I am digging that Foster Moreno design. I see some of the original STL terminal sprinkled with a bit of the JFK TWA terminal.
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

ShinyAndChrome

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:47 pm

kordcj wrote:
Calatrava’s design would be great if Chicago was a warm climate.

Seconded. I definitely got some vague Changi vibes from the video.

United787

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:

Expansion project was needed 20+ years ago, so finally. If Rahm Emanuel ran for re-election there would somewhat of a chance for the project to be run on a fairly straight basis. But there will be a new sheriff in town. So, as a result this will get all mucked up, be riddled with corruption, years late, what doom and gloom can I add? It's Chicago--can't add enough!

If the O'Hare Modernization Program is any indication, I am confident that Chicago can get this done in a reasonable time frame with no excessive overruns. People love to bash Chicago but big things get done here, much more than in NYC and LA.

FTMCPIUS

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Hope you're right :pray:

LH423

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 pm

My pick goes to Studio. Studio Gang is behind some of the more interesting towers that have gone up recently in Chicago, including Aqua and the Vista, which is just being topped off. SOM is reliable, though their designs are also a bit safe. However, they are also responsible for some iconic Chicago architecture, the Sears (never Willis) Tower being arguably the most notable. What set Studio apart for me was the different materials. The use of wood is interesting and I think will endure better. The thing that has me worried in all this is the upkeep. While its no doubt that ORD is in serious need of an overhaul, one of the things that makes it look so shabby is that parts of it are just falling apart. Discoloured ceiling and floor tiles, cracked terrazzo, washrooms in disrepair. While it's great to see the City making this investment, I also want to make sure the design lasts the test of time and can hide some of that lack of upkeep that is sure to happen. An all-white palace won't do that as well.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

sircygnus

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:20 pm

LH423 wrote:
The thing that has me worried in all this is the upkeep. While its no doubt that ORD is in serious need of an overhaul, one of the things that makes it look so shabby is that parts of it are just falling apart. Discoloured ceiling and floor tiles, cracked terrazzo, washrooms in disrepair. While it's great to see the City making this investment, I also want to make sure the design lasts the test of time and can hide some of that lack of upkeep that is sure to happen. An all-white palace won't do that as well.

LH423

This is spot on. As a Chicagoan it is embarrassing to walk through T1 after a rainstorm and have to dodge garbage bag lined buckets on the floor catching water leaking from the ceiling. The gate furniture saw its best days somewhere in the early 2000's. I hope that this investment is properly maintained, having a design that makes maintenance easier is a must. Might not be flashy, but is a reality when pushing that many people through a space.

aviationaware

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Studio ORD gets my vote.
Calatrava's designs look the same everywhere and are totally lacking innovation at this point. Looks dated already + his projects are always way over budget.

Fargo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:00 pm

United787 wrote:

1. Fentress-EXP-Brook-Garza - Seems most like a one-liner... the roof, which is beautiful. Clean, simple and elegant. But they don't even give a glimpse of the concourses.

2. Foster Epstein Moreno - All about the roof again but I love the enormous view south through the Zepplein-like hangar window. I like the warm color of the floors and pavilions inside the terminal in contrast to the bright white roof.

3. Studio ORD - At first I thought this was Calatrava's bid with that roof from the aerial view. I like that the designs carried through to the concourses to the west. This might be my favorite. The use of wood in the roof design sets this one apart. It also seems to have the wide open grand spaces that I think major transportation terminals should have but they also have a lot of other spaces brought down to a more comfortable scale. Some of it looks a little too chopped up or too much going on; could use a little more restraint and simplification. They also shouldn't have spent so many seconds on the standard baggage claim area, nothing ground breaking there. I like the use of green space but it will all be tropical... nothing to do with Chicago. I also like the suggestion that the space above the parking garage could be more without spending too much time on it.

4. SOM - Mixed feelings on this. The space inside will feel more exciting than you would think but the overall design lacks punch. The use of exterior green space is great, especially being able to get outside in the little courtyards; they also have an excellent landscape architect on their team (Site) so I have confidence they can pull this off. But there is no singular compelling element…

5. Calatrava - I am a huge fan of his but... I love that he is thinking big but I think his plan is too ambitious. He moved the ATS south of the roadway and into the terminal ala T5, a waste of a lot of money. If there is a case for a large business park in the middle of the terminals, great, but not part of the scope here. The SOM submittal and this one seems like the terminal space is too big... takes away from gate space.

I like the first two the best. The terminal does not need to be the Taj Mahal, but it does need to be modern, spacious and flexible to future phases and it appears those two are the best for the job. While this needs to be big and exciting, it would be wise to temper things a bit because this is only Phase 1 of what will likely be several phases over the next 2-3 decades. Remember, T1 and T3 will need to be replaced eventually as well, plus the additional satellites and the build out of the western access point.

gwrudolph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:11 pm

LH423 wrote:
My pick goes to Studio. Studio Gang is behind some of the more interesting towers that have gone up recently in Chicago, including Aqua and the Vista, which is just being topped off. SOM is reliable, though their designs are also a bit safe. However, they are also responsible for some iconic Chicago architecture, the Sears (never Willis) Tower being arguably the most notable. What set Studio apart for me was the different materials. The use of wood is interesting and I think will endure better. The thing that has me worried in all this is the upkeep. While its no doubt that ORD is in serious need of an overhaul, one of the things that makes it look so shabby is that parts of it are just falling apart. Discoloured ceiling and floor tiles, cracked terrazzo, washrooms in disrepair. While it's great to see the City making this investment, I also want to make sure the design lasts the test of time and can hide some of that lack of upkeep that is sure to happen. An all-white palace won't do that as well.

LH423

ORD just does an awful upkeep of the facilities in general. The outside of T1 is a perfect example. After years of not cleaning the metal panels on the sides and roof, they are black! My guess is they can no longer be cleaned. If they would have been cleaned once a year, they might not have that issue

Last time I was in T5, I was appauled at how they’ve let the first level of what was a beautiful facility deteriorate so bad

gwrudolph

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:15 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:

My comment about United not having a hub at ORD based on these renderings was a joke. What I’m trying to say is all the renderings show are AA tails yet UA is ORD’s biggest carrier by a long shot. I hope you didn’t think I’m foolish enough to believe United would debug ORD. Nuff said

chidino

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 am

Just a reminder to look carefully at the designs both for the terminal as well as the concourses: the competition winner will design OGT, but the runner-up gets to design S1 and S2 as their consolation prize. So second really matters here (and concourses we really can't see in these quickie presentations). I'm really looking forward to seeing the models.

In case you're questioning my/CDA's sanity: yes, you read that right. A pointed note after CDA explained that in the RFP: "CDA intends for the development program to have a cohesive design esthetic and it will be required for both teams to work collaboratively throughout the design process." There's even penalties, awarding the contracts to the next finalists, if everybody doesn't play nicely. I hope this is not the stumbling block it could become. I also find it funny that the second-place finisher will have completed, working structures when the OGT is a hole in the ground.

ldvaviation

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am

gwrudolph wrote:
ORD just does an awful upkeep of the facilities in general. The outside of T1 is a perfect example. After years of not cleaning the metal panels on the sides and roof, they are black! My guess is they can no longer be cleaned. If they would have been cleaned once a year, they might not have that issue

Last time I was in T5, I was appauled at how they’ve let the first level of what was a beautiful facility deteriorate so bad

That is my concern with all the designs. How do you maintain them?

Roofs with so many slats and skylights. Roofs with deep valleys in a place where it snows a lot. The prairie landscape on SOM's design.

...The Fentress design made me chuckle because it reminded me of the design for the Lucas Museum (Chicago version).

... In all of them, I don't see anything distinctively Chicago. Honestly, these are good architects. I was expecting something more minimal. Where is the inspiration coming from? You could build these terminals anywhere.

KrustyTheKlown

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 am

The midfield concourses are going to require a major reconfiguration of taxiways and the demolition of runway 32L

As the roof of Foster's proposal doesn't have any columns I wonder how well it will resist a heavy snow load.

steeler83

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:26 am

flyPIT wrote:
Build it!

Does Thai serve ORD??? Perhaps there's a rumor about Thai adding laser canons to their fleet, making them "Thai fighters..."

Still, intriguing design. I like it
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N353SK

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 am

KrustyTheKlown wrote:
The midfield concourses are going to require a major reconfiguration of taxiways and the demolition of runway 32L

Runway 14R/32L was renamed 15/33 in 2016 and was completely decommissioned in March 2018. What's left of it is now called taxiway SS.

LupineChemist

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 am

Voted for Foster since I know some people at the firm and they do good Airport designs and need help after the Mexico City fiasco.

chidino

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:49 am

LH423 wrote:
My pick goes to Studio. Studio Gang is behind some of the more interesting towers that have gone up recently in Chicago, including Aqua and the Vista, which is just being topped off. SOM is reliable, though their designs are also a bit safe. However, they are also responsible for some iconic Chicago architecture, the Sears (never Willis) Tower being arguably the most notable. What set Studio apart for me was the different materials. The use of wood is interesting and I think will endure better.
LH423

Thanks for typing that for me -- saved me the effort. :thumbsup: +1 to the above. I really love the interior flow of Gang's design, and the way it uses the site.

b764

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:11 pm

This is Chicago. The most corrupt place I've ever seen. You really think the City of Chicago/Dept. of Aviation care what you all think. The winning design will come from the firm that gave a job to someones relative who's unqualified and making $100K+ or who gave the most money to someones campaign. Next will be who gets the contract to build this structure. That'll be either a significant donator again, another unqualified hire or better yet a relative or close friend of someone within the city that will benefit from this billion dollar project. Things never change here, except higher taxes.

New article today in Tribune concerning the lack of transparency:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/col ... story.html

#lookingtorelocate

FTMCPIUS

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:22 pm

My comment about United not having a hub at ORD based on these renderings was a joke. What I’m trying to say is all the renderings show are AA tails yet UA is ORD’s biggest carrier by a long shot. I hope you didn’t think I’m foolish enough to believe United would debug ORD. Nuff said

Sorry but don't take it personally. One never knows what will pop up here.

United1

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm

I voted for Studio ORD

https://voteord21.flychicago.com/vision ... eam-3.aspx

The stars on the roof of the terminal/concourses remind me of the flag of Chicago, I like the use of green spaces in the terminal and it just seems like a really well thought out design.

It also seems like it would be a very easy terminal to expand when UAs Terminal 1 needs to be replaced.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United787

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 pm

United1 wrote:
I voted for Studio ORD

The stars on the roof of the terminal/concourses remind me of the flag of Chicago, I like the use of green spaces in the terminal and it just seems like a really well thought out design.

I also voted for them. Just read Blair Kamin's twitter and he noted the same Chicago star in their design. Would be fantastic if a Chicago led design team was selected! They also created their own webpage for their submission... https://www.studioord.com

United1 wrote:
It also seems like it would be a very easy terminal to expand when UAs Terminal 1 needs to be replaced.

WHAT?!?!?! Never! T1 needs to be landmarked so it is never torn down, it is timeless IMHO.

United1

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 pm

United787 wrote:
United1 wrote:
I voted for Studio ORD

I also voted for them. Just read Blair Kamin's twitter and he noted the same Chicago star in their design. Would be fantastic if a Chicago led design team was selected! They also created their own webpage for their submission... https://www.studioord.com

United1 wrote:

WHAT?!?!?! Never! T1 needs to be landmarked so it is never torn down, it is timeless IMHO.

T1 is great and has served UA well since the mid 80's when it was the "Terminal of Tomorrow" but I'm not sure if its historic enough to be landmarked. It's a very functional terminal but it's hitting the end of its design life and UA is kind of outgrowing it...as are the aircraft wingspans making it harder for UA to deploy aircraft like the 787/350 to Chicago. T1 will be 40 or so years old when ORD21 opens...they are going to have to consider what to do with T1 eventually.

I got to take a tour of T1 before it opened to the public actually...during a UA employee day...UA was handing out coffee mugs with the design on it. I think I still have that somewhere.

United787

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 pm

I'll buy the mug from you ;) I agree with everything you said.

Because I am designer, T1 played a big role in why I am so loyal to United. Every time I step into that building, whether it be leaving for a trip or coming back home, the magnificent space makes me glow inside. T1 and Rhapsody in Blue...

When looking at the five design proposals, the element that is most prevalent in all 5 is a enormous grand sunlit hall. Of course, that is an element that is common in most newer airport terminals. I think Helmut Jahn started that trend 30 years ago with T1. I remember him saying that he wanted to invoke the feeling of a 19th century rail station. Before UA's ORD T1, airport design was terrible with some notable exceptions like Saarinen's TWA terminal at JFK and main terminal at IAD. I think T1 started a revolution in airport design. I am looking forward to that coming full circle back to ORD with a new T2.

ldvaviation

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:00 pm

United787 wrote:
I'll buy the mug from you ;) I agree with everything you said.

Because I am designer, T1 played a big role in why I am so loyal to United. Every time I step into that building, whether it be leaving for a trip or coming back home, the magnificent space makes me glow inside. T1 and Rhapsody in Blue...

When looking at the five design proposals, the element that is most prevalent in all 5 is a enormous grand sunlit hall. Of course, that is an element that is common in most newer airport terminals. I think Helmut Jahn started that trend 30 years ago with T1. I remember him saying that he wanted to invoke the feeling of a 19th century rail station. Before UA's ORD T1, airport design was terrible with some notable exceptions like Saarinen's TWA terminal at JFK and main terminal at IAD. I think T1 started a revolution in airport design. I am looking forward to that coming full circle back to ORD with a new T2.

The trend was started by Norman Foster with his Hong Kong terminal. Foster arguably invented the building type known as the mega-terminal. Use Google Earth and compare the scale of the main buildings at Hong Kong and Terminal 1.

Jahn's terminal was conspicuous for its time, but it did not start a revolution in scale or in style. There was only one other terminal built in this style, Pelli's National. Of the two, Pelli's design is more highly regarded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos