FA9295
Topic Author

Delta drops HNL-FUK

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2019/

Final flight is May 7, 2019. After Delta leaves this route, no other airline will be operating HNL-FUK nonstop service.

ANA787

Re: Delta drops HNL-FUK

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 am

I could see HA restarting this route.

N174UA

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 am

Wow...what the "FUK" ! (Sorry, couldn't pass it up...)

About 20 years ago, DL operated PDX-FUK during its PDX hub days, I think with an MD-11.

c933103

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:05 am

After fighting against HA...
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 am

N174UA wrote:
About 20 years ago, DL operated PDX-FUK during its PDX hub days, I think with an MD-11.

Longer than that. By the end of the '90s, the only two TPACS left at DL's PDX hub were NGO and NRT.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AlexBrewster03

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 am

Wonder if they will serve FUK from SEA? I wouldn’t be surprised to see DL drop the HNL-NGO and KIK routes, especially considering they operate to there from DTW and SEA respectively.

LondonXtreme

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:10 am

I can see DL will eventually drop all the Japan routes from HNL, and HA will resume FUK and start NGO. IF HA serves CTS 2-3 weekly now, it should sustain FUK and NGO as well.
Last edited by LondonXtreme on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

azjubilee

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am

HA and DL were both flying half full planes, in what was proving to be a one carrier market for the nonstop to HNL. With this development combined with the JAL partnership, I'd be shocked if HAL didn't re-enter the market. With access to JALPack, the relationships built with HIS and JTB and the knowledge of the Japan market over these last few years, HAL is a different airline in Japan than when FUK ended.

TTailedTiger

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 am

Why doesn't Delta allow Mainland-HNL-FUK connections? That seems rather stupid on their part.

777Mech

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Why doesn't Delta allow Mainland-HNL-FUK connections? That seems rather stupid on their part.

Really? They do sell a to connection in HNL. They give you the option to fly LAX-HNL-FUK.

But, if I'm wanting lay flat seats, I'm not going to get it LAX-HNL, and,

If I'm coming from from the east coast, I can't get to HNL early enough to catch the FUK flight.

But let's face it, why would I go through HNL when I can get a far better connecting experience in ICN?

TTailedTiger

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 am

777Mech wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Really? They do sell a to connection in HNL. They give you the option to fly LAX-HNL-FUK.

But, if I'm wanting lay flat seats, I'm not going to get it LAX-HNL, and,

If I'm coming from from the east coast, I can't get to HNL early enough to catch the FUK flight.

But let's face it, why would I go through HNL when I can get a far better connecting experience in ICN?

Well when I searched for LAX-FUK in the flight status page it only listed ICN connections. Lie flats may be important to you but the majority of passengers aren't sitting in J. I always avoid connecting in another country if I can.

kengo

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 am

FA9295 wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/282491/delta-cancels-honolulu-fukuoka-service-from-may-2019/

Final flight is May 7, 2019. After Delta leaves this route, no other airline will be operating HNL-FUK nonstop service.

If there is enough demand, I would not be surprised if one of the LCCs takeover this route in the future.

MIflyer12

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
Wonder if they will serve FUK from SEA? I wouldn’t be surprised to see DL drop the HNL-NGO and KIK routes, especially considering they operate to there from DTW and SEA respectively.

These are Hawaii beach markets for the Japanese. It's got nothing to do with service from SEA or DTW.

Cointrin330

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm

AlexBrewster03 wrote:

You will very likely not see Delta start SEA-FUK or DTW-FUK. There is no market. POS for the HNL-FUK route was Japan, not US, and this was just a leisure route for Japanese beach holiday goers and some US military thrown in.

global1

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Delta transpacific is in the midst of a massive realignment.
I expect that ultimately all NRT operations will be drawn down once enough Haneda slots are secured to add service to Detroit and Atlanta. USA/Japan will be handled via HND with KIX and NGO also seeing service. Beach markets will probably cease operations. The big question is how to address SIN and MNL and the fate of PDX.

The KE Jv is still in its infancy. ICN is actually a much better connecting point for most 2nd tier Japanese cities than domestic Japanese airports. Especially when you take into account that many have a domestic and an international airport and may require a transfer between the two.
ICN is a powerhouse. If I’m not mistaken, the DL/KE JV will carry more passengers across the Pacific than any other.

I’ve seen great strides in ease of connectivity at PVG.
It’s not there yet, but it’s improving. The new year will also bring a new airport and facility in PEK.

Basically ICN will be the AMS of the Pacific. PVG and PEK, along with ICN will handle domestic China and most SE Asia.

In the long term SIN and HKG will probably see non-stop service from the U.S. MNL?

spinotter

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
I can see DL will eventually drop all the Japan routes from HNL, and HA will resume FUK and start NGO. IF HA serves CTS 2-3 weekly now, it should sustain FUK and NGO as well.

Other posters have opined that the beach routes from NRT are very profitable, but I think DL wants out of NRT eventually. Am I right in thinking DL pulled out of NRT-GUM already?

spinotter

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 pm

global1 wrote:
I expect that ultimately all NRT operations will be drawn down once enough Haneda slots are secured to add service to Detroit and Atlanta. USA/Japan will be handled via HND with KIX and NGO also seeing service. Beach markets will probably cease operations. The big question is how to address SIN and MNL and the fate of PDX.

The KE Jv is still in its infancy. ICN is actually a much better connecting point for most 2nd tier Japanese cities than domestic Japanese airports. Especially when you take into account that many have a domestic and an international airport and may require a transfer between the two.
ICN is a powerhouse. If I’m not mistaken, the DL/KE JV will carry more passengers across the Pacific than any other.

It’s not there yet, but it’s improving. The new year will also bring a new airport and facility in PEK.

Basically ICN will be the AMS of the Pacific. PVG and PEK, along with ICN will handle domestic China and most SE Asia.

In the long term SIN and HKG will probably see non-stop service from the U.S. MNL?

Agree with everything you say. Great summary. If ICN will be the AMS of the Pacific, will PVG be the CDG?

klakzky123

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm

spinotter wrote:
global1 wrote:

Agree with everything you say. Great summary. If ICN will be the AMS of the Pacific, will PVG be the CDG?

I think PVG is around to enable connections into China. The JV with KE doesn't cover China so PVG is Delta's way to add secondary Chinese cities to its route network. But its not really the equivalent of CDG. PVG is a byproduct of the lack of US-China Open Skies.

Breathe

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 pm

N174UA wrote:

<childish humour>Did DL ever operate FAT-FUK?</childish humour> :biggrin:

global1

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm

The KE/DL JV does not cover interior Chinese cities due to a lack of a JV between the US and China. However ICN does offer easy connections to a large number of destinations in China.

As far as facilities go, ICN, SIN, and HKG are the best airports in Asia

FA9295
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Breathe wrote:
N174UA wrote:

:lol: :rotfl:

BoeingGuy

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Breathe wrote:
N174UA wrote:

No, but they are starting SUX-DIK and FUK-PUS.

Don’t feel bad. I had to resist not to make jokes for this topic too - until now.

Interesting topic though. I had no idea that DL even served FUK until I saw this thread. How many other Japan-Hawaii or other Japan to sunny Pacific destinations do they still serve? Didn’t they drop another NRT route not too long ago? Palau, I think.

FA9295
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:54 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Breathe wrote:
N174UA wrote:

No, but they are starting SUX-DIK and FUK-PUS.

Don’t feel bad. I had to resist not to make jokes for this topic too - until now.

Interesting topic though. I had no idea that DL even served FUK until I saw this thread. How many other Japan-Hawaii or other Japan to sunny Pacific destinations do they still serve? Didn’t they drop another NRT route not too long ago? Palau, I think.

Alongside HNL-FUK, Delta also operates HNL-NGO, HNL-KIX and HNL-NRT.

FSDan

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:11 pm

spinotter wrote:
Other posters have opined that the beach routes from NRT are very profitable, but I think DL wants out of NRT eventually. Am I right in thinking DL pulled out of NRT-GUM already?

The beach markets may well be profitable on their own, but with a constrained fleet, DL could be seeing more profit potential in other parts of their network (e.g. Transatlantic).

Here's a complete summary of DL's Japan routes after this drop:
NRT-SEA
NRT-PDX
NRT-DTW
NRT-ATL
NRT-HNL
NRT-MNL
NRT-SIN
HND-LAX
HND-MSP
NGO-DTW
NGO-HNL
KIX-SEA (restarting soon)
KIX-HNL
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

notconcerned

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:44 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Because flying US mainland-HNL-FUK is always longer than US mainland-ICN-FUK. And most passengers would probably take a shorter travel time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos