PSU.DTW.SCE

Re: Ed Bastian on SLC: "One of the things I’d like to be able to do is create an Asian route"

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:20 pm

The only way that SLC-ICN works is if there becomes enough O&D in SEA, LAX, and somewhat MSP that they can spill or redirect the connecting flow / hub agnostic traffic over SLC as the TPAC gateway.

It’s not because of the need of the new terminal or aircraft in the fleet, it just isn’t viable currently because of both the O&D in the market, DLs TPAC network strategy, and the current revenue environment across the Pacific.

OMNI435

Re: Ed Bastian on SLC: "One of the things I’d like to be able to do is create an Asian route"

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:05 pm

It's so funny to sit here and read the comparisons people make of DEN vs SLC. Denver metro area population is 3.15 million. SLC metro population is 2.7 million. Yet people on here make it sound like Denver is 3x bigger than SLC or something far fetched! Clue in people!! And Phoenix is much larger than both of them at 4.7 million. The fact of the matter here is that it has way more to do with geographical location than it does population, that is why DEN airport is so much busier than PHX although being a much smaller city.

Yes Delta can probably do in SLC whatever UA does in DEN, similar geographically and similar city sizes. So why not? And if you dispute that then put some actual facts behind your answers rather than all these hip shooting misfires that everyone loves to take at SLC. A few years ago when SLC only had the CDG flight in its long haul portfolio, people were saying the exact same things about them not being able to support any additional TATL service. Well, how did those assumptions and predictions turn out? SLC adds AMS and LHR, the flights are thriving. Yes on some days you might see first class 60% full going one direction, but that is the same case in ATL, SEA, DTW, LAX and anywhere else on certain given days. SLC overall has an overall load factor that is much higher than several other larger hubs.

SLC to Asia is certainly viable! There's enough O&D to fill half a plane, and the other half will be connecting traffic. That is how it works! SLC on its own couldn't do it, but it benefits from being a very nice geographically situated DL hub. Just as DEN does for UA. DL would add that flight just simply because SLC is a much easier connecting point than several of its larger hubs. Passengers highly prefer routing through SLC vs other DL hubs for that very reason. I don't get why people on here are so quick to slam SLC anytime a new long haul flight is speculated! There is so much more to it than just SLC standing on its own! SLC passengers don't have to fill that plane for it to be a very viable option for DL, they may not even need SLC O&D to fill half of it. I am pretty sure nobody on A.net is a top airline exec, and for very good reasons too! SLC is a cash cow for Delta, and they will continue to capitalize on that for decades to come! And with every intl flight added out of SLC, we will have this same conversation, and all the naysayers will continue to be proved wrong! In fact, when was the last time a naysayer was correct on anything they predicted about SLC? Been a very long time!

WesternA318

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Those SLC-NRT flights on the 332 were fabulous, BUT, they were incredibly weight restricted. ICN as a hub-to-hub route along with the new SLC Airport would be better, and DL could fill an A350 at least 3x weekly, if not daily. I'm not sure on the A350's hot n high specs, but it might not be nearly as weight restricted as the A330-200 was.

WesternA318

Those SLC-NRT flights on the 332 were fabulous, BUT, they were incredibly weight restricted. ICN as a hub-to-hub route along with the new SLC Airport would be better, and DL could fill an A350 at least 3x weekly, if not daily. I'm not sure on the A350's hot n high specs, but it might not be nearly as weight restricted as the A330-200 was.

compensateme

MastaHanky wrote:
International O&D traffic from SLC is about 27% to Europe, 20% to Asia. O&D to the top 5 Asia markets from SLC is about 114 PDEW, with Tokyo being the largest. Not giant by any means, but larger than people would expect. There certainly isn’t an imminent announcement, but I could see an announcement in 2021 (after the new terminal is open) for a 2022 launch. The local community would most certainly subsidize the route - they put up close to a million to launch CDG, and $1 million when NRT was launched. It wouldn’t surprise me if they doubled that to get ICN.

LH to FRA or DL to FCO is just silly talk.

114 PDEW is really, really small — RDU, AUS, etc. pull roughly double that, for example. Probably 20+ airports rank ahead of SLC... even CVG.

Ultimately, as I mentioned earlier, his comments were taken out of context and I wouldn’t hold my breath for such service anytime soon.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

MastaHanky

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:58 pm

compensateme wrote:
MastaHanky wrote:

114 PDEW is really, really small — RDU, AUS, etc. pull roughly double that, for example. Probably 20+ airports rank ahead of SLC... even CVG.

Not sure where you got your data, but the top five from RDU to Asia is nowhere near double that. RDU, SLC and AUS all have similar numbers (I believe AUS has overtaken both at this point). I don’t believe any of the three even crack the Top 20.

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:01 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
What Salt Lake City needs is a year round route to London Heathrow (LHR) and not just summer seasonal like at present.

Why?

What factors indicate that it "needs" that?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

compensateme

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:15 pm

MastaHanky wrote:
compensateme wrote:
MastaHanky wrote:

Not sure where you got your data, but the top five from RDU to Asia is nowhere near double that. RDU, SLC and AUS all have similar numbers (I believe AUS has overtaken both at this point). I don’t believe any of the three even crack the Top 20.

I wrote it from memory - I’ll double check but I’d be surprised if AUS was that low. Not really revelant to the overall point, which is that the local market to Asia from SLC is insignificant, which is why DL opened SEA in the first place.

Bastian got caught up in the moment and later clarified his comments; I wouldn’t expect a SLC-ICN flight in the near future.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

N649DL

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
N649DL wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

No such thing as a 787-800. It’s type certified and marketed as a 787-8. Not sure why some people still can’t get that. It took the Aviation Hearld awhile but they finally starting calling models by their correct designation. 747-800, 787-800 and 787-900 don’t exist.

It's surprising to me that the A332 was such a poor choice for the route out of SLC since it's been such a capable aircraft for DL even flying to Africa from ATL. High altitude is a real thing. I lived in Denver for a bit and would tell that this really throws people (but really anything that includes planes, especially cars) completely off. I don't think the 763ER can make it, but can the 764? Not worth throwing an A350 or 777 on the route for sure.

No, the 763ER has more range the 764. The 764 could probably do SEA-Japan but that's about it.

Thanks, forgot about that for whatever reason. The 764 is largely concentrated out of LHR routes these days so I doubt it would ever happen.

BoeingGuy

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 am

N649DL wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
N649DL wrote:

It's surprising to me that the A332 was such a poor choice for the route out of SLC since it's been such a capable aircraft for DL even flying to Africa from ATL. High altitude is a real thing. I lived in Denver for a bit and would tell that this really throws people (but really anything that includes planes, especially cars) completely off. I don't think the 763ER can make it, but can the 764? Not worth throwing an A350 or 777 on the route for sure.

No, the 763ER has more range the 764. The 764 could probably do SEA-Japan but that's about it.

Thanks, forgot about that for whatever reason. The 764 is largely concentrated out of LHR routes these days so I doubt it would ever happen.

That’s correct. The 767-400 has done SEA-NRT and PDX-NRT but that’s about it. It’s also done SEA-AMS.

I’m not familiar with the A350, but a KE 787-9 or DL 777-200LR could probably do SLC-ICN without performance restrictions. The 77L is probably too much airplane for the route.

If DL asked me for my opinion, I’d say try the route with a KE 787-9. It might work.

FA9295

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
N649DL wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

That’s correct. The 767-400 has done SEA-NRT and PDX-NRT but that’s about it. It’s also done SEA-AMS.

I’m not familiar with the A350, but a KE 787-9 or DL 777-200LR could probably do SLC-ICN without performance restrictions. The 77L is probably too much airplane for the route.

If DL asked me for my opinion, I’d say try the route with a KE 787-9. It might work.

It's done PDX-AMS a handful of times as well.

OA412

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 pm

MastaHanky wrote:
LH to FRA or DL to FCO is just silly talk.

LH is indeed far fetched. They’re not going to serve SLC When they already serve DEN and DL has SLC-Europe well covered. However, I don’t think FCO is that far fetched. Sure it’s not a huge market, but airlines can pretty much fill any flight to Rome in summer. A summer seasonal to Rome is certainly doable.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 pm

MSP-FCO would resume before they even think about SLC-FCO.

dcchipper

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

For those of you with more industry knowledge then I have, would the new inland port (which I understand will mostly bypass customs at pacific coast ports) increase demand to Asia in the mid to long term? Could this be a factor that is being looked at in Ed's statement?

TSA125

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:22 pm

A.net really needs to solve this issue of ads covering up content or they'll lose traffic fast.
No not that TSA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos