jbmitt
Topic Author
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:59 am

New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:46 am

Press release for an announcement for new service to Billings.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/ ... the-latest

Hope it’s not NK or SY. Guess it could be F9, unless AS is replacing QX. B6 recently added BZN. I’m guessing additional service to DEN and unfortunately not on WN.
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 3639
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:52 am

It is a new airline. Makes me wonder

Asked to clarify, airport director Kevin Ploehn said the "new scheduled airline service" involves an airline "who is not operating here currently."



JetBlue from Long Beach would be interesting, but my guess is Frontier. Frontier has a constantly changing network that is always adding or subtracting routes. Frontier already flies to Bozeman, Missoula and other airports in neighboring states. They might help reduce fares a little.
Last edited by Newbiepilot on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 am

I would guess Frontier to DEN, LAS and possibly SAN and PHX.
Last edited by FA9295 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
JetBlue from Long Beach would be interesting, but my guess is Frontier

I don't think JetBlue has any leftover slots to use for LGB (they sold them to Southwest, if I recall), and even if they did they certainly would not utilize it at BIL.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:15 am

FA9295 wrote:
I would guess Frontier to DEN, LAS and possibly SAN and PHX.


This screams F9... but I don't see why they'd serve anything other than DEN seeing as they only do that from BZN and MSO as is.

Maybe something random like Denver Air Connection or Boutique... I don't see BIL being on anybody else's radar
Last edited by joeblow10 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
BrodieBruce
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 am

I bet it's F9. Especially with the Tuesday announcement. Flights to DEN and/or LAS, more than likely.
Great news for the airport, either way though.
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:51 am

jbmitt wrote:
Hope it’s not NK or SY. Guess it could be F9, unless AS is replacing QX. B6 recently added BZN. I’m guessing additional service to DEN and unfortunately not on WN.


I very highly doubt it’s NK. They have a lot of CLTs, BNAs, CVGs, SATs, STLs, OMAs, ABQs, SLCs, ONTs, SMFs, SJCs, GEGs, OKCs, and TULs to fry before they would even consider BIL.
 
jbmitt
Topic Author
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:59 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 am

F9 served KBIL in the past and UA has a monopoly on the route to DEN. Service varies up to 5x daily with several 319/320s and the rest on RJs. F9 can probably make good money on the route as UA can charge $500+ for the RT.

As others pointed out, F9 serves the other large cities in Montana. I’ve always thought it was odd that they weren’t in the biggest city or second busiest airport.

I’m still surprised that service to ORD is only 1x daily and it’s only summer seasonal service.
 
jmc1975
Posts: 3009
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:57 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 am

AA to PHX?
.......
 
BrodieBruce
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:45 am

jmc1975 wrote:
AA to PHX?

If the announcement wasn't for a "new airline" altogether, I'd agree with you. That or ORD on AA.
But being as this is for a new airline, I'd guess it to be F9. Just because that's the only one that would make sense IMO.
 
SurfandSnow
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 am

I would not be surprised to see F9 return to BIL. I would be surprised if this new carrier was anyone else, seeing as how AA, AS, DL, G4 and UA all already serve BIL...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!
 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 pm

It could be Frontier 2-3X a week for the summer. F9 generally does announce routes on Tuesdays. Best of luck to BIL.

Frontier 14
 
BrodieBruce
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Big things seem to be happening around BIL, I don't know if anyone saw this or not, and it may be worthy of its own thread, but the airport last week released final renderings of the terminal expansion project that will begin next year. It looks amazing.
https://www.flybillings.com/DocumentCen ... -LjANhvg_A
 
jbmitt
Topic Author
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:59 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 pm

BrodieBruce wrote:
Big things seem to be happening around BIL, I don't know if anyone saw this or not, and it may be worthy of its own thread, but the airport last week released final renderings of the terminal expansion project that will begin next year. It looks amazing.
https://www.flybillings.com/DocumentCen ... -LjANhvg_A


The terminal improvements are way overdue. If the renovated bathrooms are any indication, the terminal should be nice. I think that will help in attracting additional service. While BZN has more tourism demand, their better facilities have worked to their advantage.
 
caliboy93
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:07 am

MIAT Mongolian to Ulaanbaatar?
 
rainaviation
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 am

jbmitt wrote:
Press release for an announcement for new service to Billings.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/ ... the-latest

Hope it’s not NK or SY. Guess it could be F9, unless AS is replacing QX. B6 recently added BZN. I’m guessing additional service to DEN and unfortunately not on WN.


What would be wrong with NK or SY?
 
QXorVX
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:45 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 am

I don't know why it would be anyone but F9- this is 100% the kind of city they have been going after and frankly surprised they haven't been there in the last few years anyway. SY has stated their intention to pick-up "left over" pax on high demand routes, BIL does not fit the description. B6 serves BZN for the higher-ish end leisure market going skiing or to the mountains, again BIL is not that. NK has a pretty good list of larger markets they should be in and are not, I don't see launching a good spread from RDU and then the next week hitting up a small city in Eastern MT. G4, AS, DL, AA, and UA already serve. So unless Via or Contour are doing something silly... Cape Air still has those EAS routes, right?

Although that n/s to Mongolia sounds like a winner :). I'm sure both of the people that fly BIL-ULN all year would be thrilled.
 
BrodieBruce
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:04 am

jbmitt wrote:
BrodieBruce wrote:
Big things seem to be happening around BIL, I don't know if anyone saw this or not, and it may be worthy of its own thread, but the airport last week released final renderings of the terminal expansion project that will begin next year. It looks amazing.
https://www.flybillings.com/DocumentCen ... -LjANhvg_A


The terminal improvements are way overdue. If the renovated bathrooms are any indication, the terminal should be nice. I think that will help in attracting additional service. While BZN has more tourism demand, their better facilities have worked to their advantage.

I actually think it will too. I've been flying in and out of Logan since the late 80s. It looks the same today as it did then, for the most part. These new renderings and expansion of the terminal are really going to help passenger numbers going forward. As will the continued growth of the petroleum and trade sectors in Billings as well.
 
USAavdork
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:43 am

It’s Frontier (F9). Just checked their website and beginning May DEN-BIL is showing 3x weekly (Sun/Tues/Thurs).
 
airbusaddict
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:31 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:44 am

Looks like you can book BIL-DEN starting May 30th on Frontier's website. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday service on F9 - this must be 'new' to the extent that re-starting a route is 'new'.
Finally F9! FSD-DEN 7-4-2011
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4384
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:27 am

I would be shocked if this is anything but Frontier. Historically Billings is too small for JetBlue or Spirit.

SY maybe to a warm-weather destination less than daily I guess could be possible? They seem interested in expanding outside of MSP.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I would be shocked if this is anything but Frontier. Historically Billings is too small for JetBlue or Spirit.

SY maybe to a warm-weather destination less than daily I guess could be possible? They seem interested in expanding outside of MSP.

It is Frontier. DEN-BIL is now available for booking.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:26 pm

It seems like frontier historically has been the airline to ruin the announcement too early. Here is what I mean, a city (like Billings) has an announcement press conference planned for a certain time and the airline posts their schedule before the announcement even happens. They did the same thing when Syracuse was announced, the city had a press conference to reveal the new airline Tuesday morning (or whatever day it was, I can’t remember) and the night before, Frontier puts the city into their cities list. Seams like the airline and city should be comprising.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:50 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
It seems like frontier historically has been the airline to ruin the announcement too early. Here is what I mean, a city (like Billings) has an announcement press conference planned for a certain time and the airline posts their schedule before the announcement even happens. They did the same thing when Syracuse was announced, the city had a press conference to reveal the new airline Tuesday morning (or whatever day it was, I can’t remember) and the night before, Frontier puts the city into their cities list. Seams like the airline and city should be comprising.


90% of the time we will see Frontier announcing route additions on Tuesdays. Another option now, via F9, to visit the General Custer battlefield site where it all ended for him.

Frontier 14
 
User avatar
fraspotter
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 8:12 pm

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:52 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
It seems like frontier historically has been the airline to ruin the announcement too early. Here is what I mean, a city (like Billings) has an announcement press conference planned for a certain time and the airline posts their schedule before the announcement even happens. They did the same thing when Syracuse was announced, the city had a press conference to reveal the new airline Tuesday morning (or whatever day it was, I can’t remember) and the night before, Frontier puts the city into their cities list. Seams like the airline and city should be comprising.


Does F9 or other airlines release their schedules at a set time? Is this something the city of Billings should have been aware of?
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel
 
mtnwest1979
Posts: 2211
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:23 am

Re: New service to KBIL Billings, MT

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 pm

So what is the timeframe between a "seasonal suspension" and a re-entry into a city? lol. BIL is new and BOI has been both new and seasonal of late haha.
Nice to see F9 get new again service.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos