Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
United Airline
Topic Author
Posts: 8971
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2001 5:24 pm

Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:07 am

They only have one. Why is that? Will they get rid of it or get a few more? Where do they fly it to?
 
alesfr
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 am

EI-WLA mainly flies between FCO and GRU, but was used on the FCO-JFK route last summer. It's feen ferried to Abu Dhabi on the 9th of January (probably for maintenance?).
A318 A319 A320 A320N A321 A333 ATR72 BAE146 B735 B737 B738 B742 B753 B763 B772 B773 B789 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ1000 DASH8 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170 E190 F100 MD82 S2000
 
kengo
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:29 am

From memory, they were planning to use the 77W on Rome-Buenos Aires route but not sure if this has changed. I think they got the sole 77W from Etihad and read somewhere that Alitalia was planning to operate 4 or so 77Ws, sourced from Etihad, but not sure if this plan has changed due to Etihad's financial difficulties.
 
Flightguy123
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:30 am

Alitalia is struggling financially with little support from Etihad. Delta and EasyJet have made it known that they are interested in acquiring parts of Alitalia. In DL's case it would probably be much like the VS deal 49% deal. The financial struggles have more then likely had a major effect on the modernization (or rather lack of) of their fleet with the 777-300ER.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11388
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:31 am

kengo wrote:
From memory, they were planning to use the 77W on Rome-Buenos Aires route but not sure if this has changed. I think they got the sole 77W from Etihad and read somewhere that Alitalia was planning to operate 4 or so 77Ws, sourced from Etihad, but not sure if this plan has changed due to Etihad's financial difficulties.

The 77W is a leased ex Air Austral plane, it is not from Etihad (you might be thinking of the A345 that EY gave the Italian government which has now apparently been stored for the past 6 months) who has yet to get rid of any 77Ws other than the ones they were leasing from Jet Airways. I believe the plan was to acquire more, but then Alitalia had one of their major bankruptcies.
 
kengo
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Polot wrote:
kengo wrote:
From memory, they were planning to use the 77W on Rome-Buenos Aires route but not sure if this has changed. I think they got the sole 77W from Etihad and read somewhere that Alitalia was planning to operate 4 or so 77Ws, sourced from Etihad, but not sure if this plan has changed due to Etihad's financial difficulties.

The 77W is a leased ex Air Austral plane, it is not from Etihad (you might be thinking of the A345 that EY gave the Italian government which has now apparently been stored for the past 6 months) who has yet to get rid of any 77Ws other than the ones they were leasing from Jet Airways. I believe the plan was to acquire more, but then Alitalia had one of their major bankruptcies.


Thanks for the correction. I assumed it was from EY based on an article I read a couple of years ago where it stated the 77Ws would come from EY or from other partners. Considering EY owns 49% of Alitalia(not sure now) and was looking to down size their fleet , I thought the 77W came from EY.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm

alesfr wrote:
EI-WLA mainly flies between FCO and GRU, but was used on the FCO-JFK route last summer. It's feen ferried to Abu Dhabi on the 9th of January (probably for maintenance?).


Routings change with demand/seasons. Right now, WLA is flying 3x w night time to EZE and 1x w daytime to GRU. I'd think it will return to the JFK runs with the peak summer North Atlantic season, when South America demand drops.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
papatango
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 1999 10:32 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Flightguy123 wrote:
Alitalia is struggling financially with little support from Etihad. Delta and EasyJet have made it known that they are interested in acquiring parts of Alitalia. In DL's case it would probably be much like the VS deal 49% deal. The financial struggles have more then likely had a major effect on the modernization (or rather lack of) of their fleet with the 777-300ER.

When will we hear which proposal Alitalia has chosen?
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm

I would like for LH to take over Alitalia.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
I would like for LH to take over Alitalia.

Don't be cruel to the Germans....
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:25 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
I would like for LH to take over Alitalia.

Don't be cruel to the Germans....

Lmao
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
I would like for LH to take over Alitalia.

Don't be cruel to the Germans....

Swiss, Austrian and Brussels were in serious economic situations and Lufthansa took them forward, LH is a smart airline, they always look for ways to stay profitable
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
I would like for LH to take over Alitalia.

Don't be cruel to the Germans....

Swiss, Austrian and Brussels were in serious economic situations and Lufthansa took them forward, LH is a smart airline, they always look for ways to stay profitable


Agreed, LH would be the best choice. Delta shouldn't even be allowed to put in an offer. They need to be busted up as it is. Theynhave way too much influence on foreign airlines they have invested in and the consumer is paying through the nose for it.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Don't be cruel to the Germans....

Swiss, Austrian and Brussels were in serious economic situations and Lufthansa took them forward, LH is a smart airline, they always look for ways to stay profitable


Agreed, LH would be the best choice. Delta shouldn't even be allowed to put in an offer. They need to be busted up as it is. Theynhave way too much influence on foreign airlines they have invested in and the consumer is paying through the nose for it.


Oh... and you think Lufthansa would be more beneficial to the consumer because...?
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 pm

dcajet wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Swiss, Austrian and Brussels were in serious economic situations and Lufthansa took them forward, LH is a smart airline, they always look for ways to stay profitable


Agreed, LH would be the best choice. Delta shouldn't even be allowed to put in an offer. They need to be busted up as it is. Theynhave way too much influence on foreign airlines they have invested in and the consumer is paying through the nose for it.


Oh... and you think Lufthansa would be more beneficial to the consumer because...?


Because Delta would just engage in even more price fixing across the Atlantic. LH would probably just us AZ for intra Europe ops.
 
User avatar
DominikR83
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:34 pm

LH is by far not a welfare company ,they would use their stacks in AZ mainly to reduce intra-european competition.That might not affect the TATL flights directly but it is still far away from being good for the civil aviation.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4847
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:39 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
dcajet wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Agreed, LH would be the best choice. Delta shouldn't even be allowed to put in an offer. They need to be busted up as it is. Theynhave way too much influence on foreign airlines they have invested in and the consumer is paying through the nose for it.


Oh... and you think Lufthansa would be more beneficial to the consumer because...?


Because Delta would just engage in even more price fixing across the Atlantic. LH would probably just us AZ for intra Europe ops.


And don't you think LH does the same over the Atlantic with United?
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Please keep the thread on topic.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
United Airline
Topic Author
Posts: 8971
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2001 5:24 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:22 am

Will they get a few more B777-300ERs?

I remember they once ordered 5 B747-400s and they cancelled the order since they failed to reach an alliance with AF. VS took them
 
User avatar
placeholder
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:44 am

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 am

United Airline wrote:
Will they get a few more B777-300ERs?

I remember they once ordered 5 B747-400s and they cancelled the order since they failed to reach an alliance with AF. VS took them


Considering the Horror News from Rome for the past Months, i wouldnt put a bet on AZ getting any new Planes soon let alone B77W's
Old Eurowings 1993 until 2010, gone but never forgotten !

Flown on: A319/320/321, A300, A310, A342/343/346, A380, DC10, MD-11, MD-82/83, B733/734/735/738, B752/753, B742/744, RJ85/100, ATR-42/72. DHC8-1/2/3/4, L410, Twin Otter
 
spannacomo
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Alitalia's odd B777-300ER

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 am

according to the last news, DL plan for alitalia foresees to eliminate 1 or 2 long range planes. Which means the B77W is a perfect candidate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos